Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Weak, chilled chicks.

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 12, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9096500

It sure is spring. In the last few days, chicks have been hatching like popcorn. Two batches I was aware of, two not. So today I got everyone situated, I thought. Long story short, one Mom took three of her babies out foraging, and left two behind. They were all together at 2:00, but at 5:00 I found she'd left two on their own. Both looked pretty bad, but the smallest was out flat and silent. Brought them in with a heating bottle and a light, but without much hope. Tried to get some sugar water in them, and thought I'd drowned the littlest one.
Somehow, s/he survived my care, and both are up and around. Both have at least "tested" the water, and seem to be eating.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips. Anything you may have done, or even heard of that might help. I'm thinking I'll mix an electrolyte solution tomorrow and offer it a couple of times, just for a boost.

I'm open to suggestions :)

I am now, of course, attached...
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9096539

Why don't you confine the "mom" with "all" the babies till they are old enough to go out foraging with her. I usually keep mom and chicks cooped up together for 5 weeks or more.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 25, 2012
2:46 AM

Post #9096832

I would do as Loon says to,it would be easier and less work for you in the long run.Take them out at night and slip them under her so they will stay warm.Put her in a crate or fence in a portion of your coop with a heat lamp.I keep two heat lamps going for my silkie babies to get under when then mom is busy eating ,and they run to get under them to warm up then run after mom agiain.They are outside with the moms now and they will still come in and get under the lights to warm up.They are 2 weeks to three weeks old.I does not take them long to learn where the heat lamp is,I put the food and water under it to keep it warm to.I have the water and foood sitting on a patio block and it absorbs the heat as well.

Thumbnail by green04735
Click the image for an enlarged view.

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9097059

That would certainly be the best solution, but I don't think I can make it work. The coop she's in is also the one that has the nest boxes, and she's under them. No way I can figure to block that part and have enough "space" for Mom and chicks to move around (or for Mom to stand up). The other places I could have put them are now occupied, and while I will try to cobble something together, space will still be an issue.

It may be they are not going to live anyway. Their light went out sometime between 3-6 this am. They huddled together and covered themselves, but this can't be a good thing.

I wasn't prepared, and that's the bottom line. I knowingly let two hens have their nests, and added some I wanted to hatch, but the other two stealth broodies got me.

Oh well :(
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9097302

sigh. Looks as if one if the three left with Mom is fading. I'll give him/her an hour, and go check again. If s/he's sitting off away from Mom again, I guess I'll have three, and mom will have two :(

I was _supposed_ to let nature take it's course this time around...

This message was edited Apr 25, 2012 3:50 PM
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 25, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9097332

Easier said than done.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9097535

Too late. The little was dead when I went back.

Should have taken her/him the first time :(

The two inside are very quiet, but seem content.

We'll see, I guess.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 25, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9097558

Awww, too bad! It might have already been too late when you first saw it apart from the others. It sounds like your adoptees are doing well though.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9098256

They're up and about, but hte quietest chicks I've ever had. They seem to be eating and drinking, at least I keep changing the water because it has food bits in it. Keeping fingers crossed :)

Not that I need more chickens...
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 26, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9098445

Ah, but more chickens need you!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9098625

Apparently *G*.

It's a good thing they're so darn cute...

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9099650

Catmad you are having a time of it!! I feel for you! My chicks are doing well but Tuwanda's little brood is so way out of sinc its not funny! She started setting apparently earlier than I thought! She continued to lay eggs too, or "Sweet Tater" was adding to the lot with out my knowing. She hatched 3 babies two days earlier than I expected , I had added 2 Maran eggs, only one hatched, the other died because she was through setting and it got cold fully formed in the shell. She still has 4 or 5 eggs in the nest so I sure they wont hatch. All I have to say is that when a Mama decides to leave the setting and get down to business of raising the brood , she does just that! She knows who will make it and who wont! Then again, if tiny newly hatched do not keep up with Mom , that is a good indication that they werent going to make it anyway... survival depends on who can keep up with Mom. Now Catmad you are their Mom and they will be alright!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9099677

That's about how I figured it, too. My "rescued" Phoenix chicks (I moved the nest) hatched 3 days early. I KNOW she wasn't setting, because she was in the coop every night but the night before her nest was found, and that's what I counted as day one. Unless the local 'possum sat on them, I don't know how _that_ happened.
The two chicks may have company soon. One of my Momhens gets frantic when I try to add food and water (they're in a birdcage), and I'm afraid she'll kill them inadvertantly. I'll set up (sigh) my brooder tub, and try to get them out, and put them all together. The odd thing was that the chicks all hatched within two days. At least there are no age issues :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America