Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plants: Alternate Fabric - Polyester Double Knit

Communities > Forums > Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plantsReplies: 1, Views: 13
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bevbh
Austin, TX

April 25, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9097441

I've been thinking of doing this kind of thing using some old polyester double knit yardage that I've picked up for free or cheaply at estate sales. I think it should drain and hold up as well as landscape cloth. I've used it for frost blankets when I use up all the wool yardage that I also got for free.

Some of the commercially available potato grow bags have flaps with velcro to make early harvesting easier. I was wondering if those would be worth bothering with. Also considered adding external channels that could have support poles threaded through. Ling on the TXRareFruit Yahoo list suggested using an external wire cage as support for growing fruit trees in the pots when he posted the link to this page.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9097480

bevbh, Yes, I'm sure the polyester knit fabric would work! Your idea of channels is great and not a problem to sew a straight line down either side of the bags! Since the knits don't ravel much, you could just cut a couple holes (one at the top another at the bottom of each side) to thread the poles through, too. The Totes do support each other if grouped together, but I'd feel better with supports for single Totes.

The Velcro sounds good too, but may not be necessary. The bags are pliable and easy to rob from!

I would think I a couple of poles would be better for fruit trees grown in fabric pots than the wire cages. Cages sometimes need support themselves.

Thank you so much for reading and posting your excellent suggestions,
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Oh, nice one, Bev Cville_Gardener 14 Apr 23, 2012 9:55 AM
Other plants? martyR 1 Apr 23, 2012 7:36 AM
Terrific! thatswho 1 Apr 23, 2012 7:44 AM
Pests? quiltygirl 5 Apr 26, 2012 8:48 AM
Alternate Fabric? DesertRattess 5 Apr 25, 2012 8:07 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America