Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hydrangeas: What type of Hydrangea?

Communities > Forums > Hydrangeas
bookmark
Forum: HydrangeasReplies: 8, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9098463

I need to figure out if a compact around 4-5 foot tall hydrangea would work in a location I have picked out.

I have a location picked out next to my chain-link fence that is between my neighbors back yard and mine.

The location is between two large evergreens, and a tree that shades the area in the morning until 1:30 or 2 in the afternoon. After that, it will get the afternoon sun until sunset.

I am here in Iowa in zone 5, and was wondering if the afternoon sun in the summer would be too hot for a compact hydrangea.

Any and all suggestions would be great! I also thought about putting in a care-free rose...

What is the hardiest, compact, hydrangea that blooms all summer, and can withstand hot afternoon sun?

Thanks .
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9099374

All hydrangeas are woodland understory shrubs who prefer shade in the afternoon. Amongst the most sun tolerant ones are quercifolias and paniculatas, which tend to be large unless you choose some dwarf versions like Sikes Dwarf, Little Lime, Ruby Slippers, Pee Wee; or you can grow larger ones and prune them every now and then to keep their size in check. Since you do not live in a hot climate, I would try a quercifolia (aka, oakleaf) or a paniculata); if you notice that the leaves in direct contact with the sun are getting sunscorched during the worst of the summer, transplant it to another location.
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9099764

Thanks...I will check those hydrangeas out. I am just afraid of the afternoon sun being really intense...even here in Iowa, it can easily get up to the 90's and that sun can get hot...
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9100503

If you want to test the waters, you could always get a hydrangea and place it in this area pot and all. Just dig a hole & put the pot and plant both in the hole. Cover the sides with soil and put mulch on top (3-4"). Then monitor the leaves often during the summer. If the leaves are not affected by the start of the Fall, take it out of the pot and "formally" plant it in that same spot.
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9101176

Thanks luis...that's a good idea.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9108174

I'm in zone 7, with intense summer heat and humidity. I have a Limelight hydrangea that gets afternoon sun from about noon to sunset. It's probably the healthiest plant I have in my yard. In fact, paniculatas reportedly don't bloom as well in the shade.

A dwarf version of Limelight is Little Lime, but you should be able to prune Limelight to 4-5 feet. I pruned it hard in February (flowers on new woods) and it's leafing out beautifully.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9108202

Zone 7 here, too, and the several Limelight hydrangeas are in more shade than sun. I realize they can take the sun without a problem but they absolutely glow in the shade.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
3:29 AM

Post #9109704

In the summer, the leaves get sunscorch here and HAVE to be protected. Kind of catch 22 balancing act, hu? You get more/better blooms with more sun but you keep the green lime color longer with more shade. Makes you want to have some kind of lever to twist and control sunlight amounts that way. Hee hee hee.

Hello, pirl! You know, I have always wondered how well white hydrangea blooms would do in a moon garden. The paniculatas that stay white-ish longer would be better choices for that I think. Or maybe one should use white macrophyllas. Hmmm.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9109735

You're right, Luis. Gardens need giant umbrellas that protect the vulnerable plants while allowing the sun lovers total access.

I'd guess the choice of which white hydrangea to use would be based on proven performance in your area. You know I love my Tardiva and it is slow to go to the pink stage but White Dome is nice and there's always Annabelle but I don't like her floppy heads.

A California friend, now getting ready for this weekend's big Mary Lou Heard Memorial Garden Tour, removed the fabric from two typical umbrellas and replaced the fabric with shade cloth to prevent burning. Naturally, he's had damp weather since he did it! Much of gardening seems to be that delicate balancing act.

Good to hear from you, Luis.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hydrangeas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hydrangea Ayesha Roselaine 9 Jul 13, 2012 2:54 PM
Cutting Hydrangeas anastatia 2 Jul 31, 2007 9:43 PM
"Forever and Ever" Hydrangea toni5735 14 Dec 30, 2008 11:10 AM
I hope this works. Hydrangeas planted in a leaf mix... kbaumle 30 Apr 28, 2009 3:20 AM
How to winter over lace cap cuttings? kbaumle 10 Jan 13, 2008 6:47 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America