Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Vegetable Gardening: Garlic? Not sure what I have.

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

passiflora_pink

passiflora_pink
Shelby County, AL
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9098632

Someone gave me some "garlic" that is a perennial in their yard. It looks more like an onion but tastes strongly of garlic. The bulbs have occasional little cloves hanging off but it doesn't look like any garlic I've ever seen.

Thumbnail by passiflora_pink   Thumbnail by passiflora_pink   Thumbnail by passiflora_pink
Click an image for an enlarged view.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9098655

The little bulbet thing is a new garlic "seed". You can plant those and you'll get another garlic plant. I'm no pro at garlic, so I really can't help with the actual plant.
urbanveggies412
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9103042

i would call it a garlon, although i don't know if that is a real word. but it is now!
rothdavid
Altoona, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9103980

we have that that everywhere up here in the North East (Central PA). We call it onion grass locally... Its a mixture of strong onion and garlic, the bulbs are only ever maybe the the size of quarter...

You can use the greens like chives but dice very small and don't use much... Great for soups too...

passiflora_pink

passiflora_pink
Shelby County, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9105716

We have onion grass too--but this doesn't look anything like what we have..Onion grass has chive like green parts and my plant's leaves are more like a leek.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9107891

Since the leaves are flat, wouldn't that make it a garlic anyway? Onions and chives generally have round hollow leaves, right?
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9108028

[quote="Ladypearl"]Since the leaves are flat, wouldn't that make it a garlic anyway? Onions and chives generally have round hollow leaves, right?[/quote]
That's a fair assumption IF you're sure it's one of the three and not something else altogether (and if you're talking about bulbing onions - Allium cepa - and not Welsh onions - Allium fistulosum - which are often grown as green or spring onions). There are other Alliums (besides Leeks, Chives, and Garlic chives, of course) that are also grown as food.

-Rich

passiflora_pink

passiflora_pink
Shelby County, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 3, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9109410

Tell me more! Or maybe direct me to some web links. I've never seen garlic that doesn't form cloves.
Bazuhi
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9112478

I was given this to from another gardener(wild Garlic) many years ago and have finally gotten rid of most of it. It spreads and ends up all over the place. I use to use it in cooking but upon a lot of research found it is not really a good idea to use either,.. You can look these up and see the flowers, seed pods etc..

WILD GARLIC Allium vineale
Wild garlic is a troublesome weed that is difficult to control. The bulblets can give flour a garlic flavor and odor. If wild garlic is used as forage by livestock and poultry, the resulting meat, milk and eggs can become tainted with a garlic odor and flavor. In large infested areas, a regime of fall tillage followed by spring tillage and a clean cultivated crop, if done for several years, will reduce the number of bulbs in the soil. For isolated patches of wild garlic, hand removal is the most effective method. Toxicity: None known.
***However, its native relative,**** the wild onion, is toxic to livestock and humans.
The native wild onion (sometimes called 'wild garlic', Allium canadense) can be distinguished from wild garlic by the fibrous-matted outer coating on the bulb, flattened solid leaves, star-shaped pink or whitish flowers and an onion-like taste. In addition, wild onion does not produce dormant hard-coated underground bulblets, and its stem leaves are attached to the lower 1/5 of the stem.
Hope this helps

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America