-
AuthorContent
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9098843

i have a row with probably 3-14 peas up every 4 inches with rather uneven distribution. how much do you worry about thinning peas?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9098870

Assuming you mean English peas ( Pisum sativum) rather than Vigna types, they grow well at one inch spacing never thinned one in 60 + years.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9099082

As Farmerdill said, there's no need to thin English peas - they like to be crowded. Just be sure they have good support.

Mine are just beginning to set pods.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9099137

Little slow up there Honeybee, Mine are already in the freezer. But then I grow dwarf varieties , no support needed.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9099286

Honeybee,

I was late planting. I am just getting pods on my Sugar Snaps.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9099619

mine are setting pods as well, i am growing dwarf sugar peas. made pretty blooms, too bad they didnt last long.
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9099917

Jeez! I really thought i was something special when I saw my Alaska peas all flowerey this morning. A closer look showed some tiny little pods! Yipeee!!
Already in the freezer?!...I think I just wilted. : l

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9099988

Farmerdill - I would LOVE to sow peas earlier, but in every prior year that I have done so, the birds have eaten them as soon as they appear out of the ground.

Last year I took a chance with a late planting after losing two rounds to the birds, and they did okay. It then occurred to me to wait until the trees start to leaf-out. Evidently that's what was needed because very little bird damage has been done to this crop.

If I could figure out a way to cover the peas before they sprout that woud be a solution, but I have permanent trellises in place.
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9100009

i use bird netting to deter birds and my biggest nemesis, voles. it seems to work.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9100041

6aseeder - I purchased bird netting a couple of years ago, but after it entangled and killed a beautiful black snake, ensnared an Eastern King snake and a bird - I threw it out! The netting was purchased to protect a strawberry bed from birds. We decided to give up growing strawberries rather than risk any more animal entrapments.

I know what you mean about voles. They eat a good number of our sweet potatoes each year. They left the beans alone last year, so I'm thankful for that! I've read they don't like the smell of blood and that blood meal will deter them. I'm going to give this a try this year. I purchased the blood meal last year, but forgot to use it!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9102185

If you want, or need to thin peas, just cut off the top 5-6" and eat the pea shoots. They taste like a mild pea. Great in salads and stir-fries. I just discovered pea shoots are edible and next year I'll plant a bunch of peas just for the shoots.
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9103709

darius, i think i will do just that, harvest pea shoots, in the really heavy seeded sections. yum! thank you.
BrrrAnn
Lunenburg, MA
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9111943

6aseeder -- I live in Lunenburg MA and I'm getting peas up now in uneven amounts, too. (planted them about 2nd week in April) Maybe our drought dried out the soil too much?
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9113810

BrrrAnn, i was watering every 4-5 days in april (my garden plot is quite small). my uneveness was due to the uneveness of the gardener. :)
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9115024

Honeybee,

I find straw a great way to cover peas before they germinate. It is light and hides the peas from the birds.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9115553

gardadore - thanks for the tip about the straw. The birds don't eat the seeds, they eat the newly emerged pea shoots. I've also caught house finches eating the tops of our pea vines, which are about 3ft tall now.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=house+finches&qpvt=house+finches&FORM=IGRE

gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9115601

Years ago I bought a roll of a kind of foil ribbon designed to discourage birds. You strung it all over and let it twist in the wind. One side was silver and the other a shiny red. Seemed to help. Aluminum pie pans can also work if you can stand the clatter. Punch a hole through and string them so they hit a post or fence. The shininess and the noise help detract birds.

With the straw you can at least cover the pea shoots lightly. I also use veil material (tulle) on taller plants, especially blueberry plants, as things don't tangle in it like they do with regular bird netting. It is easy to remove without catching in the branches. Maybe you could surround the peas with something like that from the fence? Just a thought!

My peas are barely one inch at this point and I am watching them like a "hawk" (bad pun) and adding straw each day to keep them from the birds. Once they are a few inches I usually don't have any more problems. Am going to plant some more today for successive harvesting.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9115630

I picked some peas this morning. I have another row that's full of flowers, so hopefully the house finches will leave them alone.

I've tried using old CDs to scare away birds, but it didn't work - scared the dog though! LOL

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9115641

I guess my strategy of "hiding the green beans" under the patio cover worked...they're actually growing and the only thing that has found them is the two deceased worms I found yesterday...
BrrrAnn
Lunenburg, MA
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9116194

tested my soil yesterday and it's depleted of nitrogen and phosphorus, so now I'm foliar feeding ... when the rain allows.
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9116977

Isn't that the way with weather? First the drought, then weeks of rain. Not complaining though, we really needed the rain.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9117296

I finally rained yestersday! And, it's raining as I type - thunder rolling overhead - better get off this 'puter!!!
GreeneLady
Oak Island, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9124898

"i use bird netting to deter birds and my biggest nemesis, voles. it seems to work"-6aseeder

Voles! I hate those things. They devoured almost 100 of my prized stargazer lilies and went through my sweet potatoes like they were going out of style.

I tried everything I could think of and was just about to give up on root crops and bulbs when I acquired a secret weapon: a Jack Russell terror (yes, that's terror, not terrier) and Scottie mix puppy. She's about a year old now and has brought me 7 dead voles that she digs up and kills.

I have not had a single issue yet this year. Thank you Humane Society Animal Shelters!
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9125010

greenelady,

a jack russel terriorist would work but my garden is in a community plot. however, there has been a recent vole population crash there. i also happened to notice a red-tailed hawk (or more) hanging around lately. a respite, for a little bit -- enough to get my greens harvested, i hope.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America