Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: How do you get moss rose to bloom more?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9098844

I have grown moss rose in the past and noticed that sometimes it blooms more than other times. What I can't figure out is why. Is it the temperature? Does it need a certain fertilizer/nutrient? Is it getting too much water or not enough? I have experimented around, and will often get lots of the long round leaves and the stems get long and healthy looking, but not many flowers. Then other times/years they bloom like crazy and are gorgeous. Anybody know what the problem could be?

This is one of those years where the plants look really good, but they aren't blooming much.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9099317

In my experience, they like heat and not too much water or fertilizer. Too much fertilizer for plants that can grow just fine in poor soil will often result in lots of lush green growth but not many flowers so if you've been giving them too much TLC that could limit the blooms. Or, I don't know what your weather's been like this spring but for this year at least it could just be they haven't got going yet--when I've grown them they've bloomed more in the summer vs the spring so it might just be a little early for them to be at their best. Sun will also be important--if they have too much shade they won't bloom as well.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9099431

Okay, maybe I need to move the potted ones to a sunnier location. The sun seems so intense though, (I didn't want them to burn up) but maybe full sun would be better during the spring (then give them a little shade only if they need it as the summer heats up.) It gets really hot here (last summer we were over 100 F for months at a time and it only got down in the 90's at night.)

And I'll skip them when I fertilize.

Thank you for the input ecrane3 - will sure be keeping it in mind since we want them happy and blooming! .
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9102495

Mine always did best in blazing sun and heat also. I have them usually in clay containers sitting on a concrete sidewalk in full sun. I water sparingly in the morning as I head off to work. When the weather is cool or rainy they tend to slack off. The great thing about them for me is how they tell you when they are ready for water as they are succulents and start to look a little limp and wilty when they need more water.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #9104968

Wow, sounds like they need to be neglected and abused LOL! I'll keep that in mind. Thanks dmac!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America