-
AuthorContent
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9098885

I am growing cucumbers for the 1st time- a bush variety called Diamant. I think my 1st cuke is ready for harvest, it is about 5" long and is probably around the 47 day DTM. So, is there a way to tell when it is time to harvest? Is the cuke suppose to slip off the vine with a gentle twist, sort of like how a ripe musk mellon would or do you just cut it off with a pair of scissors or something, based on DTM & how it looks? Thanks.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9098932

John,

I pick them when they look like I want them to look. The bigger they get, the bigger the seeds. If the shape has filled out then it is safe to pick. The varieties I raise don't slip, but snap off pretty easily.

David
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9098952

Yes, they are good at any stage except when very large. Not only will you have big seeds but the cucumber takes on a watery sweet taste akin to watermelon rinds. I don't know the length of your cuke growing season. If possible put in multiple rounds of cukes at least two weeks and preferably one month apart to extend the harvest. The plants peak at some point and then poop. Just when you think you don't want to see another cucumber they are gone and a few weeks later you're missing them. I start with fancier burpless and Asian varieties and end with pickling cukes so as to have cukes for canning. Picklers also make great eating cukes.
JohnCrichton75
League City, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9099801

Good to know, David & Maypop!! I did not realize there was so much flexibility in the harvest time.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America