-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9099294

We were long overdue for a new chit-chat thread. Anyone is Welcome to join us!

Tell us what's going on in your life or gardens. Visuals are great too and always enjoy seeing everyone's pics.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9099372

YEA... thanks for the new thread!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9099405

I'm getting a ebay gift card for Mother's Day and will be adding some new plants. Outdoor plants, no indoor ones.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9099491

Creepers Elfie - you need to report him to the state Forestry police too! I'd be at him with a baseball bat if he was messing with me like that. Good thing I have Court to keep me at bay. Poor thing - I hope it levels out a bit.

Froot - yes please to the yellow columbine. ;)

Night all. I'm beat.

A.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9099584

I am here!

Happy Friday everyone!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9099652

I'll send some of our heat, it was 101 yesterday!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9099834

WOW LK, and it is only the end of APRIL!!!!! UGH

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

April 27, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9099857

Hi all!

We're having some interesting weather here in California also...high 90's early last week then rain this week and we are leveling out in the 60-70 degree range... Since we get hit with such intense heat... much like the folks in Texas... this is actually a nice respite. I know the garden is enjoying the rain!

Amanda... do you grow a lot of columbines? Do the Monarchs like them? I have two purples (one more of a lavender) and am looking to add some other colors myself - I have to plant mine in partial shade so that when the heat comes I don't lose them. I tried growing from seeds but had no luck at all... any tips? I really like the red/orange color ranges they come in. -:) Isn't this one cool? (

Nancy

Thumbnail by NF2932

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9099973

So I managed to convince Dad to let me keep some of my plants. I will have to remove all soil, rinse the roots thoroughly, clean the pots and repot them all with fresh soil. I was thinking of rinsing the roots, letting the plants (succulents mostly) sit on a rack to "dry", and then repotting. With succulents I'm not keeping I will remove some leaves and try to root them. What do you think?

Also my T's can stay as well.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9100167

Boy I am sad, I didn't realize how much damage those voles did last summer. I was looking thru some old photos from spring/early summer last year and ran across this one. Yesterday I was walking around and where in the picture I had all these daylilies, there is one lone plant there now! I am really shocked, it didn't dawn on me until now...I thought the voles were eating bulbs I didn't even think about daylilies...

Thumbnail by happgarden

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9100385

Joyce

What beautiful gardens! I just love your photo. I had the same problem with voles the year before last. They are a blight on the face of the earth!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9100463

Checking in from the laundrymat,,, I am missing my internet already,,,

I will get some pictures soon and the I will find a way to upload them.
The move is done and I have a bed to sleep in,, so I am great...

Very quiet here, I am the only person here!! I am sooo hot and tired,, soon as my laundy is done I am going home and to bed!!

Night all
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9100494

Today is not a good day, I've been crying since this afternoon. I mentioned that Dad told me to get rid of my house plants and that I managed to convince Dad into letting me keep my plants. The agreement was that I could keep plants that showed no evidence of mealybugs in the soil.

Today I went through all the plants. Quite a few had evidence of mealybugs in the roots but there were many that didn't. Unfortunately many that didn't had ROT. I have had depression due to medication and overloved my plants as a distraction. I had been attempting to salvage them but unfortunately it was unsuccessful.

I have very few remaining houseplants. I have a Palm, two sundews, a butterwort, a couple Broms and 6 Tillandsia. That is it. :( Dad says we can get some to replace them but not now, not til my seedlings go outdoors.
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9101052

Aw, Ang... I'm so sorry.. that sucks! But let me know when you're ready to get some other houseplants and I'll send you some starts from mine- I'll get them started now and see what I have to send.

Speaking of plants- I hope someone can help my son with his problem. He has a lot of celosia plants that he has been growing from seed and they're under a grow light. He told me today that almost half of them have become translucent! Is there some type of bug that would do that? Or what is going on with them?

I've beeng sitting here at the computer and I just realized that a female cardinal keeps going to the small, short tree (new house- have no idea what the thing is LOL) outside the window I'm sitting in front of and she comes in with nest building material and leaves empty.. woohoo! She's building a nest right near my front door and the top of this tree is about eye level to me when I'm outside. My worry is that the next door neighbor lets their cat go outside :( Think I can put something on/around either my fence or this tree to keep the cat away and won't bother the birds??

Have a good day everyone.. I'm going to a Junk Jubilee to see what I can find to re-purpose. Need to keep busy as today is the 3rd anniversary of my late hubby's passing away :(
Hugs to you all

Chris
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9101195

Hugs to you Chris, this must be a really tough time for you. Keep busy and smile, that makes the memories better.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9101435

Thanks Carolyn, I thought the voles were eating bulbs didn't realize they were getting the daylilies...what did they get of yours?

I was out in the garden and I know it has been a strange year, but I have a daylily blooming...it is still April! Now that is just too odd...
I am moving potted plants around, the ones I overwintered for our plant sale, plants I overwintered for me. It has really been dry here so everything is getting a good watering. Beautiful day after the awful winds we had on Friday.

How strange to have daylilies, iris, and peonies all in bloom...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9101444

Susie, I am blown away. The box arrived and holy cow!!! I took a picture and will post on the other computer when I get it started up. I am thrilled to death...absolutely. Well, not literally. lol. Thank you so much. I will prepare you box and get it on its way today. Hope mine comes through as well as yours. I see how you did it and will do likewise.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9101573

Wonderful having your fav birds build a nest where you can watch them, Chirs.

If I can help you replace plants, Ang, just let me know. Most of what I have left are 'foliage' types. Were you able to keep your carniverous plants? Not that I have any, but if you lost them too, your son must be equally disappointed.

Mary, Susie is always so generous with us and am sure she would like to see how pleased you are on her May thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253114/

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9101581

Will do. Thanks
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9101597

Susie, you absolutely outdid your self. I was so blown away as I took each plant out of the box, like there was no bottom and no end to the variety. why, you even took time to send me chicken to eat while I potted up the plants. Thank you so much for your generosity and hard work to gather all of these together. I don't know that I have ever received a gift that pleased me so much!!!

You had asked me to post a few pictures from my garden. so here are a few from last summer around July 15th.

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46
Click an image for an enlarged view.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9101663

Nice package! Susie is a pleaser. :D

Ummm - about strange blooms in the garden - yesterday I noticed that my New England Aster had blooms on it. :/
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9101678

What dedication having such a beautiful garden, Mary. Wow! A few nights ago, I went through photos from three years ago when I started from scratch. Generosity from our fellow gardeners never ceases to amaze me.

Nancy, Your Columbine bloom is breathtaking and love how one color melts into the next. I know you said you weren't good at starting seeds, but several of mine self-seed by just falling on the ground and new babies pop up the next year. Always have to be careful when I'm Spring weeding not to pull them up. You and anybody else will find several of us on LK's "She's About To" thread and. Know you're welcome there. I posted several photos of Columbines on April 24th and will save seeds from any of my plants for the asking.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246622/

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9101720

Mary sure happy they arrived safely i want one of each i your garden :HEHE very very pretty ;)
well off to get daddy to bed .
susie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9101739

Just so you know that I got them all safe and sound in their pots. they will be in the ground very soon. Can't guarantee all will make it through the winter but will do my best. I believe all but one or two are okay here. Thanks so much again

Thumbnail by Oberon46

monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9101753

I just realized something. Seeds and plants don't read their own directions. This year I tried to plant things according to size but ones that were supposed to be small are towering and ones that were supposed to be huge are tiny. I'm making notes so that next year maybe I can get things put together better. LOL
velmansia
Antioch, TN

April 28, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9101771

Voles /moles...I don't know what I have- but whatever they are- these destructive things are tearing up my yard and uprooting my plants. I have to keep stomping around in my garden to press the soil down around the plants. Anyone with good suggestions to get rid of them? Bought something from Lowes' ...didn't work.
So, so irritating!

I have fallen in love with the orange iris that some of you are showing. Keep me in mind someone!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9101788

Joyce

We managed to get rid of the voles with the cones in Lowes that are for voles. The cones have poison in them and I found out this morning that DH is still putting out this poison to make sure they don't come back. The nasty things destroyed some clematis and then was going after the plants in the berm of my pond. I was nervous about having poison so close to the pond, but the voles had gotten so bad, when DH was bending down by the pond, the voles were jumping up right in front of his face. Nasty little creatures - they eat the roots of the plants. Vel - you may very well have voles.

Mary - Susie puts together wonderful boxes. You can tell that she puts a lot of thought and care into her boxes.

Ang - I am so sorry things are not going well. I know your Dad's main concern is for you and your health. I have some things I can send down your way when you are ready.

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9101812

I think the carnivores are ok. I found no evidence of babies, eggs or females on them. I did find a few flying males stuck on them though. They are like gnats, they will land on a near by plant or wall.
Mr E seems more interested in the outdoor venus flytraps than these new ones. Had they been lost he wouldn't have minded lol. He's more thrilled that his traps caught a huge fly.

Dad offered to replace a couple but I'm not looking to replace my houseplants right now. I'm going to focus on the outside. I have Spring seedlings that need to go outside before I replace anything. I plan to add more herbs, some vines for the hummingbirds, monarda, etc :D

This message was edited Apr 28, 2012 5:56 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9101929

Velma, I'll be glad to divide my Orange Iris with you. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read you need to wait six weeks after the blooms are spend, cut off the bloom stalks, and then it's OK to dig and divide them. I only have a handful and am really new growing them. My clumps are really starting to grow together and am running out of room for plants that don't like to be mulched.

Ang, I have extra Humminbird vine seeds, and two kinds of Monarda plants in the garden, Jacob Cline and Raspberry Wine that have grown together, and extra seeds of these herbs:
Blood Dock, Red Sorrel (Baker Creek packed for 2011)
Borage (Baker Creek packed for 2012)
Capnip (Burpee packed for 2012)
Cardamon (pods I picked up at an Asian shop last month)
Fine Verde Basil (Baker Creek packed for 2011)
Genovese Basil (Burpee packed for 2012)
Lemon Basil (Baker Creek packed for 2011)
Summer Savory (Baker Creek packed for 2012)
Red Rubin Basil (Burpee packed for 2012)
Basil Pistou

Let me know if you'd like any of these. The Seed Robin landed today, and I need to get it back in flight early next week.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

April 29, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9102202

I have a pomegranate bush that bore well for a couple years, then started dying back and for 2 years has had no fruit at all. I believe it is those D--- cute chipmunks tunneling. This year it has one large dead limb but otrherwise looks goo. Too early for bloom yet, so don't know if it might bloom. Do any of you know anything about what might be happening with this pomegranate?
I spent as much time as I had energy yesterday getting plants out of the greenhouse and cutting waist high grass.
The sun felt hot and bright like it was July instead of April.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9102321

I have hear that if you put castor bean seeds in the holes, the voles/moles will eat them and die. They are poisonous and is supposed to kill them. If they don't you will have pretty plants growing.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9102366

Linda -

that is interesting - I had not heard that one. Makes sense though.
velmansia
Antioch, TN

April 29, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9102725

I heard chewing gum does the same and I bought bubble gums and chewed on them and then put them in the tunnels but I think that sweet made them come back looking for more.

Fruitofthevine, so kind of you to offer. I noticed you are pretty active with tradings so I thought you had your hands full. Do I have anything growing in my "little garden" that you could use?

Desperation led me to cut the barb wire fence and now I am trying to add plants over the fence. If I get arrested someone please put up the bail money...help a fellow gardener!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9102865

Spent the weekend in Nashville with DH's family - he, his brother, brother-in-law and cousin ran the marathon yesterday and did well! I got to meet more extended family, and they were wonderful. I'm a lucky girl. :)
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9103068

A marathon? Wow! Tell them great job. It has been in the 80's here for several days. The kids came by today and started on the backyard. All the Yucca is gone. By the time that was done the chainsaw was dull so the halloween tree is still standing for a few more days (there's a picture of it on my DG blog). They tried but the chain was so dull it barely made a dent. We thought a hollow tree would be a breeze. That will teach us to think.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9103209

Someone told me some Brugmansia are hardy to zone 8, is this true?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9103319

I don't know Ang - but I was surprised to find the Datura given to me at the last RU by Faye, I think, is sending up shoots at the base of the old woody stalk from last year. I didn't think it was hardy here, but there it is.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9103322

Well, I guess I'm in for May
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2012

Post #9103409

Monkey -

checked your blog - love the one entitled 'ramblings' Thought I was the only one that did that. Made me laugh! :-)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9103533

MARY/ORBERON46 if your talking about being in the may plant exchange hosted by me dj9 then you will have to come over to this thread / forum to sign up .

MAY PLANT SWAP ;BY DJ9 ALL ARE WELCOME TO JOIN US SIGN UP ENDS TUESDAY MAY 1ST 8 AM EST.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253114/#new
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9103733

Faye's Brugs come back most years (Zone 7b).

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9103898

Hmm. Well it's back. The other day part of it got trampled by a well-intentioned neighbor. No use going into it, but apparently you can't kill the thing. :D
velmansia
Antioch, TN

April 30, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9103953

Tikipod, I am in zone 6 and I have a brugmansia that I didn't expect to come back and it has so far.
I no longer take cuttings inside to keep for the next year.
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9104010

Thank you Carolyn. I love the blogs. There are some I read that are so funny and others that are so imformative. I'm fasinated by how climates can be so different and how much gardening can be different from Zone to zone.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9104511

I think I might try growing a Brug again and leave it outside. I will be doing things different from the last Brugs, starting with keeping their main pot in a heavier pot to keep them anchored. Would it be wiser to buy an established plant rather than a cutting? Or should I hunt for cuttings this fall and then put it out next Spring?

BTW I have a neighbor story I can share. I remember the topic of annoying neighbors has popped up here and there. Today was a bad incident with a long time neighbor.

My Dad works for the condo we live in. While he was working our 79 yr old neighbor arrived home drunk and confronted him. This man used to have Dad's job years ago and has been harassing him since he took it. I guess he got very upset (over something that happened last year) then assaulted and choked my Dad, although it he didn't actually hurt him. The police had to be called and even the woman he lives with offered a statement to the officer. They took pictures of the scratches and marks on his neck.
velmansia
Antioch, TN

April 30, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9104539

Tikipod, I started my brug from a cutting and still have. The first year I uprooted it thinking it was
dead and found the roots very much alive. So I learned then not to uproot it and to wait for it to grow out.
velma
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9104567

I had luck with rooting cuttings the last time I played with Brugs but ended up losing them. This round I know what to do and what not to do so I think I could try cuttings again. I just wonder if it would be best to go for a plant instead of risking heart break over losing them again. I tend to get attached if I baby cuttings.
velmansia
Antioch, TN

April 30, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9104579

Tikipod, that time that I made cuttings I found the brug to root rather fast in just a vase with water. The problem I had was that I planted the cuttings too soon outside and they froze.
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9104773

I did my first brugs this year, one I bought and another was a gift from a DGer. Both are doing well, started them from sticks In pots in sheltered porch until past the usual frost date. After I planted them outside in ground they transitioned easily and even withstood hail and a late "almost frost."Covered them with buckets for the almost frost.
They are going strong. A fun plant so far, just young adolescents still but now that it's HOT i think they will really take off. Maybe I'll even get first year blooms, we have a long growing season here. Maybe you didn't want tonhear all that but most friends and family have blank stares when I talk about my plants, and I know you folks like to hear. So excited to get home to my plants. I came home from work today kicked off my shoes and started watering in my dress and pearls.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9104808

What a great mental picture, Judy. I can just see you out there all dressed up watering. First things I shed when I was working were my bra, watch, pantyhose, and shoes. All those confining things, ya know.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012

Post #9104819

OMG. TMI!!!
velmansia
Antioch, TN

April 30, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9104842

True gardeners! I get home and go to my favorite spot...sitting on my air conditioner watching my plants and then start to dig just for the sake of digging. My poor plants are tired of me moving them around.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9104847

Yes, Court did last year and will again this year make fun of me and the "dance" my containers do around and around the back porch. No end in sight!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9105300

DH and I went to an afternoon dress up wedding in the little town where we live, well the reception ended and we went home all dressed to the 9's, and we were sitting on the porch, killing time, it was too early for dinner, and too late to change then go out, so we were just kind of milling around, then next thing I know I bend down and pull a weed, then dh grabs the rake to smooth out some mulch the dog and messed up, and one thing leads to the next, when some friends drive up and start laughing about our formal garden...rofl. Took me a second to figure it out...rofl.

Judy had to laugh about people glazing over when talking about plants...rofl. I don't have anyone to talk to at work about it, poor dh I have finally given him a break and I don't even attempt it, even the master gardener group, no one is as nuts as I am about flowers and plants.

If you are new to brugs remember they are heavy feeders and they usually will not bloom until the branch has Y'd. After that you will get a bloom. Some will bloom quicker than others depending on where the cutting was taken from, above or below the Y.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9105656

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255544/

Ladies, there is a new swap open, Red white and blue, come and check it out!
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9105906

I ruin more clothes just picking one weed. Next thing I now I'm covered in dirt and my clothes are stained. Makes it really hard to find something to wear when I'm anywhere else but the garden.
I start speaking garden and my kids eyes roll back into the heads and they go into a state of coma.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9106054

My DH does the glazed over "polite interest" look which means he isn't listening at all. Thankfully DMIL is a gardening fanatic and offers me an outlet. :)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9108628

Talking to Kris on the phone, and she says to mail her items to... Until she gets her address fixed. If your sending plants, please mark the box "live plants"!
Kris Shotts
C/O Domino's Pizza
855 Marketplace
Alexander City, Alabama

She is working hard getting things organized and built, and say's hey to everyone!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9108820

Today I went plant shopping and bought loads of plants!
heuchera marmalade
raspberry wine monarda
mahogany monarda
various annuals to go with

Unfortunately they are for the condo not me :-/ Plant shopping for someone else isn't as exciting.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9108920

At least you got yo buy them!
monkeymomr
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9109009

I want to live at the pizza parlor.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9109209

Well, I just determined first-hand that my quick mix chili pepper spray should keep the squirrel away. I guess I'm trying talk like a pirate day a few months early! AAAAAARGH
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9109236

Good luck Carey. I personally will never use the stuff again after inhaling it. I'm still having problems and a cough.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9109331

Nice score, Ang. Before long, you'll be able to divide those Monarda's and keep some for yourself.

It's time to get our hanging baskets up and am going shopping tomorrow to see what's new at a couple of local nurseries, or will come home with a few old friends I've grown in the past.
My gardening girlfriend always has a nice crop of Beefsteak Perilla growing at the edge of her property and really like adding a few of them in the baskets for fillers.

While watering near the end of the growing season last year, I unintentially broke off a piece of a Calibrachoa in one of my baskets and haphazardly stuck it in my side garden. With our mild Winter, it survived and the darn thing is blooming! Surprised the heck out me.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9109391

Love those million bells/Calibrachoa. This is my basket full I bought a few weeks ago!

Thumbnail by taters55

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9109405

FOTV, they had some lovely little plants in the hanging basket "stuffer" section that had the cutest foliage! I never noticed that section before.

I am getting frustrated already with the limitations on the pool plants. They want color, no starters, and big plants but yet their budget doesn't allow for it.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9109461

LK, the bright pink one, top left, looks like the one I have blooming. I love Million Bells a lot more than wave Petunias.

What about hardy EE's and Banana Plants, Ang? I've got my eye on a couple in my eBay watch list. Water lovers can grow huge in hardly no time. For a pool screen, what about starting a hedge of Bamboo? Cannas sound like they'd be good candidates too.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9109491

The colors are yellow orange, red and purple, the flash from the camera washed it out! But they do come in so many pretty colors. I got these at home depot.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9109508

I could do an EE or a Canna if I can find them in containers for a decent price. I'm afraid I only have until Memorial Day to make these pots look spectacular.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9109533

Ang, I realized today that I have something on your want list - the 'fern leaf' orchid cactus. Pretty fast grower!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

May 4, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9109874

Can someone post a picture of a fern leaf orchid cactus bloom? I call them ric rac cactus but have NEVER seen a flower on one. Or even evidence that it has or might bloom.
I love having interested plant people to talk to myself. Yes I do talk to myself sometimes. At least I know I am listening.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9110283

Crystal - the fern leaf and ric-rac are two different species...both really neat in their own ways!

Here is the "fern leaf" with bloom http://www.higashiyama.city.nagoya.jp/17_blog/archives/2010/12/images/s1293471206.jpg aka Marniera chrysocardium

Here is the ric rac with bloom http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/251331/#b aka Selenicereus anthonyanus

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9110388

I agree, they are both pretty!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9110517

Okay, I may be one of the luckiest gals alive!

For the weekend before my birthday, DH has a work trip scheduled to the west coast to San Francisco. I begged to go and apparently there's room!! I have to fend for myself on Thursday (a real hardship there, I can guarantee) so I plan to go to the Conservatory of Flowers and the Arboretum!

Is there anything else I should plan to see? This is my first trip ever to SF so I don't know what to do with myself! We'll be there from Wednesday - Monday
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9110634

Carey, You lucky girl! When you're in Golden Gate Park, don't miss the Japanese Tea Garden.
Take a day trip to Half Moon Bay or any ride up or down highway 1 for breathtaking mountain and ocean views.
If time permits, drive down to Fioli Gardens. Their flower show exhibit is Mother's Day week-end.
http://www.filoli.org/special-events-and-exhibits/flower-show.html

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9110706

Wow, have fun on your trip!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9110743

Fruity, I hadn't looked at that closely until you pointed out the tea garden. Oh my is that beautiful. I'm hoping I might be able to sit in for a tea service. I'll have to call tomorrow to ask about availability.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
12:26 AM

Post #9111072

Sorry, think I got lost for a while, lol. Busy mailing out trades and now weeding is almost done, helped with the aid of the rototiller in open, unplanted areas. Got a few annual seeds in: Sweet Peas (Heavenly Gates, High Scent), Dolochos lablab, Mornng Glory Scarlet, Cardiospurmum halicacabum, green beans next to a clem of all things

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 5, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9111282

KATHY LOVE YOUR LITTLE FLOWERS SO SO CUTE ARE THEY IN BASKETS dang keep forgetting about the cap key forgive me .
I bought another load of plants yesterday but on my laptop so will have to post pictures later. what is picture;s 2 & 5 ?
have a safe trip carey.
velmansia
Antioch, TN

May 5, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9111535

Kathy, striking colors!! Yes, please tell us what is 2 and 5.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9111942

First and only time my late Mother and a lifelong girlfriend of hers ever flew was for an East to West Coast visit when I lived near San Fran. That was over 20 years ago, Carey, and am sure the City itself has changed a lot over the years, but the landmarks remain timeless. The 10 days they were with me flew by and we stayed on-the-go! We toured everything in Golden Gate Park, went to the Zoo, took a drive down Lombard Street "crookedist in the World", visited Coit Tower, witnessed a wedding at the Palace of Fine Arts, took a ferry ride to Alcatraz, ate lunch at Fisherman's Wharf & toured Pier 39, ate dinner in Little Italy, went across the Golden Gate Bridge to a craft show in Sausalito (my boss at the time lived on a boat there), took a Cable Car ride, ate Dim Sum in Chinatown and introduced them to sweet Asian Pears, spent a day at Big Basin State Park admiring the OMG majestic Redwoods, and even managed to squeeze in an A's baseball game in Oakland. I'm still a diehard Giants fan but at that time Dennis Eckersley was such a hunk and one heck of a pitcher...lol

I'd like to know what 2 and 5 are as well. Also pic #1 White blooms with Blue tips. Heck, I want to know what all of them are. Kathy, you really have such a great variety of plants, so diverse from the usual fare found here.
velmansia
Antioch, TN

May 5, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9111956

Susie, where are you putting all these plants that you keep buying? How many acres are in your garden? I may have to pay you a visit...I keep my shovel in my car always and my trunk is lined with plastic... I am ready for those opportune moments.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9111981

Good Gawd Froot - what a trip!

I tell people to go somewhere else when they ask "what's in Greensboro?"

Back right when I moved here and people asked me what do you do in Greensboro, I used to say, "I travel a lot."

ick.

Things are much improved since I got here, but still . . ...

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9112046

I am sore from head to toe all because of this.

First shot: Plants I have to work with (many are in the blue tub.)
Second shot: Pot one ... Heuchera Marmalade?, some cute little hanging basket plant and Pinewood Thyme.
Third: A geranium loaded with buds, Raspberry wine monarda, and something I can't remember the name.
Fourth: The pool cover. I'm taking the pic from a sitting position, removing each and every strap.

Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod   Thumbnail by tikipod

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012

Post #9112090

Those were some of the best 10 days of my life, except the two weeks I spend with my Mom the last Christmas she was alive. We had girl days decorating her tree, spent a lot of time in our PJ's way past Noon, ate hotdogs (her fav), and went through shoeboxes full of old family pictures. I still have them and made notes on the back of each one...who, what, when and where.

Oh how funny, Velma, I keep a shovel in the back of my Explorer too and it's lined with plastic. Paid a visit today to my favorite nursery for plants for my hanging baskets. Not a short drive through the mountains, but it's close as the crow flies. The owner is a friend and we had a good laugh when he loaded me up and saw the plastic liner.

Take it easy, Ang. That looks like a big pool. I passed a lot of pretty annual and perennial Geraniums today that also had pretty price tags.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9112161

Them's good memories, Froot. :)
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9112171

These two geraniums were 6.98 and are loaded with buds. Not really a fan but these I liked. You can see the pink one in the first photo. I plan to take cuttings of both lol

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9112902

#2 is Senetti Deep Blue and Osteospurmum (a spoon type), #5 is Senetti Blue and to the right is Senetti Magenta, #1 Senetti Light Blue Bicolor, and #3&4 are also annual Osteospurmums. These are all new for me, but have grown perennial Osteospurmum (pix1 is osteo. Purple Mountain thinking it's z5-8 and blooms all season at 14-18").
And gosh sorry half my post disappeared. Hmmm! Wonder what happened.
I got those from a grower that supplies our local grocery chain, my garden club went there for a tour and we got to buy at wholesale. I will be volunteering on Mem. day weekend and in exchange I get $200 in goodies. Gosh, I hope I don't regret it, I'll have to make sure I leave my purse at home, lol.
I promise to try and get seeds from all.
Are you kidding me... a shovel...egads...LOL,( I have gloves, trowels, a linolium cutter, prunners, plastic bags of all sizes and some pots) I know how naughty is that, lol. You just never know when you need such things, plus my other excuse is that I work in my daughter's garden too.
Tiki..just love those new heucheras, it's amazing how many new varieties there are now..

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9112923

Today is my boyfriend's birthday and we went to lunch with his parents after church. I love talking with his mom because she's into gardening, as well as his sister.

No gardening for me today but I'm thinking of tossing my kenaf hibiscus out. Not like into the trash but setting it outside. I KNOW I should do the hardening off thing but I suck at it so bad because my memory is awful. The two hardy hibiscus seedlings I sat out are doing beautifully. I think it's time for my Kenaf baby to go out, her leaves are starting to look more and more like maple leaves.

BTW, can I pinch these back?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2012

Post #9113130

COME ON UP velmansia we can fix ya right up any time , type you want large med or small .
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9113395

Went to amplant sale and what did I buy: Spirea gold flame, agastache golden jubilee, lupine, a NOID double pink peony (we exchanged phone numbers and will track down that name), lantana miss huff, plus some eggplant and hot pepper seedlings. When I got home DH was taking apart the kids old trampoline to pass on to another family we met thru free cycle. That nice bare sunny spot...that's where all my new plants can go!
It was a fun little sale, at the state farmers market and with growers from the northern part of the state. Great prices. But I'm starting to see the more I spend time gardening flowers the less satisfied I am withnthe run of the mill varieties. For instance I was hoping to find two scented echinacea, fragrant angel (white) and flame thrower. Nothing doing, not one grower had anything but pow wow or Magnus. May end up ordering those. There is one more nursery to call tomorrow, in between working! LOL.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2012

Post #9113508

Judy

you may also find somebody nice to trade with here on DG. Check out the plant trading forum. There are also the plant files - you can go in and see who has the plant to trade or who wants the plant for trade. It is the link just under the top portion that shows '18 members haveor want this plant to trade'. Dmail me if you need more information as to where to find this.

Carolyn

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9114033

WOW Fruit. That's a heck of a busy time! I'm hoping to see half as much (DH has to 'work' both Thursday and Friday)...you'll be happy to know we're going to a sponsored game for the Giants, and will be in one of the fancy skyboxes. :) We're staying right near Golden Gate Park over the weekend. Just a little excited!! :D
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9115554

Carey, that sounds like a GREAT time! Enjoy!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9115623

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257034/

Raise my baby swap is open, come and join the fun! Bring your own Moonshine!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9115777

Carey it would be so fun, so excited for you...I wouldn't need to be babysitted if I was somewhere, heck I could find all kinds of cool things to do that DH wouldn't be interested in at all...I would feel sorry for him...rofl.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9115807

I hope to Patti!

Joyce - I'm going to spend most of Thursday and Friday at Golden Gate Park, and DH has to work. The fancy camera is going along and I'm going to go crazy! :) Hopefully I'll remember to eat!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9115951

Oh remember to post pics for us poor folks, it will be so amazing!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9116067

You bet I will! I'll put them on Picasa or something. Not enough room on DG :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9116548

Are you packed yet, Carey? I can't wait to hear about your trip and see where you went.

Judy, if I'd known your wanted an A. Golden Jubilee, I could have sent a volunteer in your April box. They do love to self-seed.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9116558

Sorry Fruity! We're leaving next week. :)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9116593

I had a good laugh yesterday! Sometimes the mockingbirds drive me crazy since they're so territorial...but then that's also a benefit! That pesky squirrel apparently got too close to Mr. Mockingbird, so the bird chased that squirrel down the tree and all the way across our neighbor's lawn. Squirrel was screeching and squawking the whole way as he was getting pecked and clawed. LOL
ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9125281

Where'd everyone go??? I thought I lost the thread or something LOL.

I was doing some weeding at the house this weekend and discovered a rock underneath the weeds.. imagine my surprise! This is what I found :)

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell

ClanCampbell
(Chris) Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9125283

And this is my first flower at the new house. Is it an azalea, do you think?

Thumbnail by ClanCampbell

scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9125350

FOV the problem is I don't know that I want a plant until I see it. That A. Golden Jubilee just called to me!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9125433

It's one of the first to pop up in Spring, Judy, and just glows with its bright chartreuse leaves all Season. You'll love it, and it does freely self-seed.

Missy Clan, Azaleas bloom in clusters and those long leaves aren't right for them either. It looks like a Rhododendron to me. Anybody know for sure?

Happy trails, Carey. Have a fabulous time in San Fran. Sure do wish I could be a stowaway in your suitcase.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9125436

The photo at the top of the page is my neighbor's Pink Rhodie. See how your leaves compare to it, Chris.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9125460

Love that rock Chris! Nice surprise!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9130046

Definitely a rhodie. Saw several just like at the botanical gardens today.

Fruity, over 500 pictures taken so far. I need another memory card. :)

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9130114

Spring is here and it smells soo good out there in the garden. Wish I could bottle it, and then I could smell all winter, lol. Any volunteers for weeding? I can pay in plants...any takers????? Ahhhh, come on...

Grandkids will be out of school for the summer on Wednesday, shucks, and I was having fun in the garden. Off to babysitting I go...ok kid watching...lol. Gosh, is weeding that much fun????

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9131217

Beautiful pics everyone.
Pulling weeds is easy compared to setting on dgc's... :)

I am so glad the plant sale is over. The sale went great and we sold pretty much out of everything.
I can now do the things I need to do...lol
Like start getting ready for the plant sale next year...rofl

I bought a couple of different plants at least different for me a jacobinia 'link's. It is shade/part shade and grows 4 to 6 feet...anyone know anything about it?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9132027

Well, it's the end of May and we are down over 5" of rain of what we usually get in May. I'm not liking this. We had a nice rainy April, but then it just STOPPED. I hope we don't have another summer like last year where everything burnt up! Please pray for us to get back up to where we need to be in rainfall! Got 1/10th of an inch yesterday afternoon. That didn't go very far!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9137107

Hosta swap is going on in the hosta forum if any one is interested.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9139715

I'm starting to look at replacing my houseplants and looking for Epiphyllum. I'm slowly remembering why I stuck with getting cuttings. The prices are awful.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9139717

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1261043/

New swap just opened, come and check it out! Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9139881

Ang, I have a few different colors of epis I can share if you're interested. I know where to get 3" pots for super cheap!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9139910

I'll dmail you.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9151524

Anyone heard from Debra? Is she missing again...I am sending the basset out to look for her...rofl.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9151717

Wasn't she going to see her sister?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9151801

Yeah, but just for a week I thought?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9151980

No - it was going to be a long trip - FL and possibly TX, but she wasn't sure. She wrote so here in a thread on the mug swap thread on May 10:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9119336

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9153901

I HAVE INTERNET!!!

I AM BACK,, IT IS SLOW,,, BUT I AM ONLINE AGAIN!!!!

And now I am tired,, so going to bed.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9154736

LOL Elfie! I hope you got a good night's sleep!

I had to block/stone off a gap under our fence the other day. The raccoon or whatever that's been munching in my 'garden' needs to be stopped. It's almost completely defoliated my Black Cherry tomato plant. :/

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9154941

Hello all. Well today started with building new steps to the house and then mapping out a walk way for Ralph to get to the new steps.
Gryphon was so proud of himself and did almost all the work with a small amount of help from me. Goober and I did clean up as the yard is a mess of building materials and tools. We had to stop when it got to very hot and go inside.
I hope to get more done on the walkway before Ralph gets home tonight.

I wonder how long it will take me to catch up on all the threads I am sooo far behind on. Anyway off to work again...

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9162931

I thought I was lost too, just like Kathy. Beautiful blooms ya all have had, and love the vacation plans, Carey. Hope you had/have fun.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 12, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9163047

Debra, it was fantastic! I still haven't made myself sit down and load all the pictures onto the computer. Since there are somewhere around 600 of them, I'm almost afraid to! :)

Heading back to PA to visit family at the end of the month. It's been almost a year so it's time!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9164653

Carey, sounds as if you are having a really fun summer. Wow 600 pictures, got to love digital camera I think...rofl. I wish I printed more pictures than I do and I wish i organized more of them than I do.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9164825

My brother put Picasa's photo organizer on my new computer. I haven't figured out how to use it yet, but it looks like it might be handy and faster to view photos than opening folders all the time.

Still 600 is more than I want to think about organizing. :D

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9164905

Amanda, that is exactly what I'm (eventually) going to use for the pictures. I was thinking I was going to just put them by day and go from there. Eventually. lol

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
12:29 AM

Post #9165820

storm woke me up.. here are a few pics..

Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife   Thumbnail by joeswife

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9166073

Aww Debra you are going to have to send me seeds of that second picture -the milkweed - is that the green milkweed? Forget the botanic name.

xoxo
A.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

June 16, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9167294

I have used Picasa for years and really love it. It is a great organizational tool, You can also resize pics in Picasa with no trouble and it automatically updates any pics or scans you put on the computer.
The one thing to remember is that Picasa is a program to view and organize and the pics are not In Picasa. They are still in My Pictures or wherever you store them. Because of this when you label pics in Picasa, the label does not go on the actual picture. If you get a new computer and lose Picasa, those labels are gone.
You can also email straight from Picasa, make a collage, upload to a printing site, and other stuff, too. I sound like a Picasa salesman. Not, though. Just testimonial from long time user who has GOBs of pics.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9167437

Wow Crystal. I've had friends who posted their pictures onto Picasa, but never realized it was that extensive. DH has started using sketchup for furniture and room design. That's another impressive tool that I may have to look into for garden design at some point!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9167517

I Use PHOTOBUCKET Its easy to Up-load Up to 19 Pictures at a time with their BULK loader to an album, Then I Can DELETE From the computer & The Pictures are always in PHOTOBUCKET Lessen you delete them & You can link your photos to FB Or Other Family & FRIENDS .

if anyone would like to see how i have mine
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9167519

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9167720

Hey Susie, how are you doing?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9167786

The only problem with Photobucket is a lot of companies block the website. I know my old company did. :/

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9167924

Hi LK Just been so busy with daddy UP & Down but with Margaret Here I Have gotten my REST so I feel better. My turn to lay back for the next 4 hrs before its my shift to sit with daddy so off to close my eyes .
susie

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9170329

JULY PLANT SWAP OPEN FOR SIGN UP HOPE YOU WILL JOIN US

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1265705/

Thumbnail by deejay9

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9252249

Hey all, how is everyone's summer going? What's growing, blooming or new in your garden?

I'm feeling a bit like myself these days and less depressed. I've started over with houseplants. Careyana helped start me off with a couple Epi cuttings and a rooted cutting, which started rebuilding my confidence. I only lost one cutting in all but the others are doing beautifully.
My Dad helped me add a few plants to my collection and with plant bucks I got a few small plants. I bought some Epi cuttings off of ebay to play with. No jungle like before, I'm sticking with small amounts. Easier to care for. I'm still hoping to snag a couple brug cuttings.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9252264

Hey Ang. Glad you are feeling better. Also glad to see this post pop back up. I miss not having a chat area to go to.

All my plants are still in pots from the big move. I also have tons of plants at my old house!! So glad I
have 5 years to move everything out!!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9252677

Hi Ang! So glad to hear the epi cuttings are doing so well. I don't even remember what I sent you! :)

And Elfie! We miss you on the swap threads! You should pop over and say hi anyway!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9252721

Ang, dmail me, about brugs, I have whole plants I need to adopt out..
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9252810

careyana you sent me a rooted E. guatemalense cutting and a few cuttings labeled as red, pumpkin and yellow. Red didn't do well but the pumpkin and yellow are doing great.
I'm hoping the 'big red' cutting I received the other day does well. I just want a red Epi like my Nanas lol.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9252835

Well Ang, depending on which plant I got your cutting - it may be a white anyway! My "Giant Red" bloomed last week...I missed the bloom and only saw the wilted part left over, but it wasn't red at all. I did get another one (just a rooted cutting of it's own) that's named but I already forgot the name, other than it starts with a U. Oops.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9253180

I received some cuttings from ebay the other day and they had one called Big Red in it. I'm hoping and praying it does well because the cutting didn't look as healthy as the others. It was so long that I cut it into 3rds.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9253670

CAYANNA if you have any cutting of your red one could i buy it please I would love a red one .
Heres what blooming here for me right now .

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9         

tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012

Post #9253715

Pretty brugs deejay9! Am I seeing sunflowers as well in the second one?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9253749

Debra I have PLENTY! The only problem is I don't think it's RED! I'll be going to my favorite nursery again next Friday for my next fill. I'm hoping I might get a few more screaming deals while I'm there!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9253791

I've been hoping and praying for my favorite nursery to get Epis. They have it listed on the list of plants they get in but none when I visit. I would love to get a plant, a decent plant, and not have to pay shipping on top of it.

Side note this gal a couple blocks away has 4 huge plants. I keep joking with my Dad and my boyfriend that if I want to snatch them. I would never do that but man, they are gorgeous! They are all in 8-10" pots, gorgeous blooms and just huge plants.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9253826

Well, when epis have enough water and filtered light, they grow like crazy. I paid $3 for the small ones (3" pots) a few months ago. I need to repot all of them already. Well, most needed to be put in new pots anyway, but now they're huge.

Speaking of which, I need to go give them a nightly misting. Hot one today.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9253829

I'm hoping mine do that next year. The remainder of this year will be spent rooting lol.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9254164

Carey

Mine never grew like that - I must be doing something wrong. I think mine tend to be on the dry side - are you keeping yours moist? I shared some dmails with a fellow DGer and she said that she kept her Queen of the Night on the drier side and she had beautiful full plants with gorgeous blooms. She also had hers outside.

Thoughts? I would appreciate some in put as well.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9254449

Carolyn, I keep mine out of direct sunlight as much as possible. They do like to keep their feet cool, I've found out. The ones that grow the fastest for me get a good drenching about 2x a week and let them dry out a bit in between and get dappled morning sun. They definitely prefer rainwater if possible. Of course, those all grow like crazy but haven't bloomed yet. I just put some osmicote into the pots and haven't fertilized otherwise.

Of course, my e. oxypetalum is far pickier about watering. I let it dry out completely and water once a week. I think I have it in the wrong soil though so it retains too much moisture.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9254468

Carey

Thanks for the heads up - I should also be checking my soils as well.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

August 26, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9254506

I was trying to figure out what Epi was- Epiphlyllum or Epidendrum (a type of easy growing orchid that practically grows in air).I have been growing the E. oxypetalum for about 40 years. They do best when underpotted. I let them stay in the same pot til the pressure of the roots actually crack the pot (plastic or clay). This translates into dryer conditions, but frequent watering as the plant grows larger. It also means that the plants will be hard to keep upright as they grow to 4-6 ft tall. I frequently put the pot containing the plant into a larger pot, basket or crate (water must drain away) to help keep the plant upright. In the winter in the greenhouse I corale them upright w/bungie cords attached to a bench or whatever is handy. Summers are spent outdoor bungied to a short fence in mostly shade. I do not fertilize very frequently or consistently, yet I have several flushes of blooms every summer. Right now I have a cutting in a 4 inch pot that has a bud on it. The plant itself is about 18 inches tall (long?).
Years ago my sister and I had several different colored epiphyllums. I remember that they also did well in small pots and bloomed at other times than just the summer, but mostly warm weather. I would like to try some of these like we used to have.
Have any of you ever grown and gotten a rick rack cactus to bloom? Cryptocereus. I had one for years (no longer) but it never bloomed.
I also got seed out of a grocery store purchased dragon fruit and have been growing these for years, but no flowers. They are huge but no flowers. I have treated them like I do the night cereus. I read that the plant needed to reach a weight of 10 pounds before it would bloom, but that seemed an iffy requirement to me.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9254542

I thought I'd share this because some of you might know how frustrating it is.
I bought orchid cactus cuttings off of eBay. It was a 'LOT', kind of starter collection, and what I received was seller choice. Well the seller was kind enough to label each cutting and also included an extra.

The problem is that my eyes are shot and I have a hard time reading sharpie on plants, especially if it's smaller text with a fat sharpie. I don't mind if their named or not but if there are words on things, I want to know what they say lol. I don't care if it's the name name or a description of color or 'This end up', which I have received btw.

I spent yesterday trying to figure it out and I think I have them all. I feel accomplished. Only two that I'm not positive on are Hylocereus and Selenicereus, mostly because they are the thinnest cuttings.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9254553

Ang, there are a few types of selenicereus - it sounds like you have the true "Queen of the Night" version (grandiflora), if it's a thin cutting. I have another version of selenicereus which resembles a fern (I think I sent you cuttings for that too?)

And thanks for the advice Crystal! Their growing conditions are very similar to my adeniums then (I have them in my kitchen window - I have to turn them every couple of days to keep them sort of upright. ha!)
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9254582

No, you didn't send that one but you have mentioned it to me. I think you noticed it when it was on my wants. I've had to hide all my wants due to not having trades.

In other news I found organic ginger root in the grocery store. They are on the small side but very fragrant and loaded with "eyes" (is that what I call them?) I'm going to plant in the AM.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9254624

Yep! The 'eyes' have it!

Maybe I did. I dunno! I had a guy who wanted me to send him pieces for postage, and when I said I'd like to trade...never heard from him again. Hmm.

I got to see the seed pods on a Guatamalense on Monday. They were huge and bright pink! I'd love to find another one and make a hanging basket out of it. Maybe I'll get lucky on Friday.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9254679

My problem is I have plenty to offer but no plants lol. Most people don't want seeds or whatever I have at the time. It's much easier to just hide all my wants until I actually have something.

I can't wait until my son is back in school. I lost a few plants this year, including some 2 year old plants, and it needs to be cleaned up. The weather did a number on quite a few plants. Unlike other places we had cooler temps for most of Spring and Summer, then we got hit with mid 80-90 degree temps for a few weeks. It took a toll on my plants.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9256825

80-90 days? I dream about those days. :)

I started school again yesterday. 14 hour this semester...and starting Business Calc today. EEK!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9259543

FOTV, one of the cannas you sent me has a bud! You sent me these two years ago and I've never seen them bloom :D

I'm not sure which it is but I think it's the Indian or India.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9262696

Hola! Evening everyone. This thread totally went off my radar until it popped up on the Home page.

New thread for Fall Chat:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278289/

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9274528

wow.. I have missed a lot!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America