Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Carolina Chickadees

Stafford County, VA

Since the dees are nesting in our yard, I have more opportunities to catch up with them. Here are a few shots -- some taken at close range.

This message was edited May 1, 2012 11:50 PM

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

Here are a few shots of the male bringing worms to nestlings in the box, and a shot of him leaving with a fecal sac. We often see this with bluebirds but the dees are so elusive and move so fast, this is the first time I have gotten a picture of them doing it. The last shot is of both in the crepe myrtle, where they love to hide.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

Here are a few close ups I got this afternoon while the male was waiting to get a meal worm. The blues are very possive about the meal worms and chase the smaller birds, particularly the Carolina wrens and the Dees. I love the expressions on some of these. I have a ton of these and will add more as I get time to sort through them.

Marlton, NJ

Love the pics Dave! The 3rd in the last post is precious! The Dee's have always been a top favorite of mine.

BTW, I'm almost positive you have Carolina Chickadees since that is what I have. The Black-capped Chickadees range doesn't begin until very northern NJ (above Princeton).

Stafford County, VA

Thanks Pelle. Nice to have you and Resin to keep us straight. Except for Eastern Bluebirds I need all the help I can get. Can you correct the header, or does it matter. I will probably add more Dee pictures to this thread from time to time. I have nearly a thousand of them collected already and while they are nesting, they are very willing to pose for me.

Marlton, NJ

Hi Dave, I contacted admin for the title change.

Again great pics! These birds are so full of spunk and a delight to watch.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Chickadees are so friendly, they are one of my favorite too. Great thread Dave! I was thinking Carolina for your as well. It doesn't have the yellowish,brown on the flank that mine has. I saw my Black-capped in one of my nest box, this week. The box has been up for 3yrs, and it's the first time, I've seen them checking it out as often as they did. Hope they decide on it this time and make a little family.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Awesome photos Dave!! I can see why you're taking so many photos of them. Each one shows such a difference pose with just a slight movement-well done.

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Fantastic pictures Dave. I love the expression on the face of the last shot in the waiting for meal worm set. Just beautiful pictures.

More, please.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Awesome photos of my very favorite bird, Dave!!

Carla

Stafford County, VA

OK Here are a few from this afternoon

Marlton, NJ

Wonderful shots Dave!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Awesome shots!

Stafford County, VA

Thanks. They sure are available to me right now. Not sure when the babies will fledge. But I'm sure things will change when that happens.

Just got back to this thread. Dave, these are absolutely fantastic shots of a beautiful little bird. I stand in awe of these wonderful captures of this little bird.

Charlotte, NC

Great shots! I have tons of Carolina Chickadees in my yard. I just love them. Two years ago when we in in a drought, my husband was outside watering the grass and a group of chickadees and a couple of robins were playing in the water spray. It was so much fun to watch. :)

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Dave, those "in flight" photos are worthy of publication! And, no, I'm not just saying that because Chickadees are my very favorite bird. :-)

Carla

Stafford County, VA

Thanks Carla. The lag time on most cameras is such that it is usually by accident that you catch them in flight. It makes my day as well. These are a little more typical of everyday shots.

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

I agree with Carla, the in-flight photos should be published. All of these photos are just spectacular Dave.

Wonderful Dave. Love these little birds.

Stafford County, VA

Here are a few more from this afternoon.

Stafford County, VA

The chickadee babies that hatched and fledged in our yard are now following their parents to the feeder for meal worms. Very cute.

Oh my goodness Dave, these are so wonderful. Those babies are bottomless pits. In the last shot, it looks as though it is smoking a cigar.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful little birds with us.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Enjoyed the feeding of the chicks, they are wonderful!

Vancouver, BC(Zone 6b)

Fantastic photos Dave! Thanks for sharing.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

More awesome captures Dave. So clear and sharp-wow!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.