Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What's for dinner? (Part 31)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We came from here in case you want to backtrack: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1250180/

I shouldn't kick off a new thread on Fridays, because that is typically not a night when I cook much if anything. (If it's not spring and summer and I'm tuckered out from late afternoon gardening adventures, then it's fall and I'm a football widow. I don't know what my excuse is in winter :-)

But tonight *might* be different because I have ground chicken for lettuce wraps. I haven't made them in over a year, so it's high time I pull out the wok and take another stab at 'em. If not tonight, then tomorrow night (because the chicken isn't a good candidate for sitting in the fridge for too long.)

Thumbnail by Terry
Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Glad tohear SG is better and you are getting out.

There is another reason to give up nitrates. A resent studied showed a correlation between nitrates and Alzheimer’s disease.

Dinner is chicken cooked in a blackberry, Dijon mustard, onion, soy sauce, ginger, and red pepper flake sauce. Looks like veggie will be broccoli and fruit a honeydew melon.

Missouri City, TX

Thanks for the new thread.

Dinner is chicken, broccoli, and a melon.

Columbus, OH

Cleaning up leftovers. Woo hoo! lol

Yes. It is leftovers and very good!

Columbus, OH

I had leftover salad with marinated cucumbers, mac and cheese, and broccoli. DH is eating weird stuff. Leftover Chinese. Peanut butter and crackers. Bowl of cereal. Ugh.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Baked potatoes, BBQ chicken, Salad, fresh radishes from the garden, three bean salad, and lemon cake for dessert.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We had a salad with gorgonzola cheese and a rice and veggie stew.. The veggie stew was not vegetarian because the stock was from a leftover base of various crock potted chicken and beef dishes. It was very rich.

Between planting stints, I marinated chicken breasts in "my" terikyaki marinade and put together a potato salad. Then I left to attend a "girls" function and the family grilled and ate without me. I heard it was good.

Dinner is chicken spagetti sauce (Home made tomato based with veggies) on barley.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We had duck confit heated and crisped in the oven, along with some kale a friend gave us cooked with white beans and some of the confit fat and juices. Very good!

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Chicken Fried Rice is our meal for tonight.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I have some kale I need to cook. Mixing it with white beans sounds good, Leslie.

A favorite here is kale and cannellini beans. Make sure to drizzle good olive oil on top and fried sage leaves if you have fresh ones. I like this with an egg cracked on top and coddled.

Chicken sauce over barley sounds really good. I don't cook barley enough.

We are having lamburgers on tortas, grilled asparagus and salad. SO brought me a gift...four and a half pounds of leg of lamb. It's too hot to turn on the oven and too cool to turn on the air conditioning so it went through the KitchenAid grinder. Two one pound portions were packed for future use, some was reserved for tonight and the rest made into meatballs with fresh breadcrumbs, garlic, and oregano and then frozen.

Laurel, that lamb sounds good. We're about out of that. I didn't drizzle olive oil on the top; I used the juices and fat from the duck confit, along with a bit of garlic. And I used cannellini beans; they're my favorites. I do have fresh sage leaves but I've never thought of frying them!

Darius, I also have a recipe for gnocchi with chard and white beans, but you can use kale or spinach instead. That's really good; it calls for a small can of diced tomatoes and a lot of mozzarella and parmesan on the top - it's a skillet dish.

We have some broccoli raab that I have to use, too. We love it sautéed with garlic in olive oil and a bit of lemon juice as a side, or added to scrambled eggs, or cooked with sausages over pasta.

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Chilly and damp here this evening, our furnace was kicked on for a short time. High carb supper, beef stroganoff (sp?) and noodles, left over "clean up the veggies". Some meals seem simply weather/temperature related. Will reserve the baby back ribs for a warmer evening and grilling!

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I lost you guys!

I'm home and enjoying my kitchen. :-) Salmon w/garden fresh asparagus last night & chicken saagwala for dinner tonight. happiness is... home cooking.

I got a lot done in the veggie garden this weekend. I've hauled in a lot compost & dug it in. Planted my kale, onions, shallots, kohlrabi, and a couple tomatoes. We just need some rain now. :-)

Tam

Tam, what is chicken saagwala?

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Its an indian dish - chicken in a spinach sauce, with onions, garlic & tomato. I made it once before and really enjoy it. A good thing to try when you have a lot of extra spinach. :-)

Tam

Missouri City, TX

My partner at the restaurant harvested his garden - now I have about 3# of carrots and tops (mostly tops, as the carrots are the short ones), and another 2+# if beets an tops.

I think tonight will be beets and greens and a couple of pork ribeyes.

Columbus, OH

Curried cauliflower soup and a salad. Meatless Monday! (Every day is meatless for me, but not DH)

Dinner is some version of pork loin.

We're going out for Tex-Mex, so no cooking for me!

We're staying in for TexMex so SO better help. I've been up since a quarter to five and in the garden since six thirty. Made it into the house for a salad at lunch time. I've managed to limp in for a margarita.

Tacos and a chlies rellenos casserole. Guess that probably makes us more tex than mex, huh? Garden got watered around 7 this morning, while it was still tolerable out there. Planted a few seeds on my lunch break then showered away the sweat and grime. I'll probably saunter back out after dinner is underway.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Everybody's gearing up for Cinco de Mayo or what?? I just picked up 2 dozen home made tamales from a friend! one doz green corn, one doz chicken. Yum Yum.....

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Just fried eggs & toast for me tonight. Work sucked me in 'til it was way too late for much else.

Tam

Dinner tonight is a chai tea brined pork loin. For some reason DH bought two pork loins this weekend and left them both in the fridge. There is a apple chutney that goes with the recipe. I'll see if Ihave time to get to it today or not.

I am missing all that garden work right now. I'm still trying to get done with the final project.

Missouri City, TX

Partner at the restaurant pulled all of his beets - I got the majority. Cleaned and rough cut the tops, then peeled and cut into quarters or eights all if the beets.
Steamed the tops and boiled the beets separately - served with pork ribeyes and a garden fresh tomato (mostly green) 1/2" slices, added to the grill pan when I poped it in the oven for the last 5 minutes.

Wonderful!!

Bubba good for you. Confession: I just can't do beets. I think they taste like dirt. I try. Really, I do. I just can't get past *that* taste.

Tonight's dinner is either tilapia or salmon filets with a creamy Dijon sauce. (And that reminds me I need to check the freezer and see what I have on hand before dinnertime), with some veggies and new potatoes with a light herb sauce.

I love everything beets. The earthy flavor is appealing. There are certain veggies that can't be compared to others. Black eyed peas, beets and collards are in a class of their own. Black eyed peas have that earthy "dirt" taste too. So do cow peas (crowders) like Purple Hulls. Asparagus is unlike any veggie I can think of. I can understand why some might not like these vegetables but I've never understood why so many people don't like broccoli which is relatively bland.

We had veggie fried rice and meatloaf for dinner.

This message was edited May 1, 2012 9:35 PM

Columbus, OH

I thought I did not like beets for the longest time, and it turns out that what I disliked was overcooked, watery boiled beets. Roasted beets with balsamic--fantastic!

DH had a sandwich and potato salad, I had a quesadilla. Not a motivated cook today.

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I tried roasted beets last summer and they were OK but not something I wanted again. But I need to try them again. They are just so good for you. Now I have not have black eyed peas & collards. Ever as far as I know. So why don't you wonderful ladies share your favorite ways to eat those & I will give them a try this year.

I had a tooth prepped for a crown yesterday afternoon so was happy to have left over saagwala w/pasta.
Tam

I posted a beets recipe on the Recipe Forum many years ago, and it's great for those who don't like beets. Basically it's sautéing onions (in butter), then adding shredded fresh beets and fresh orange juice and pulp, cover and lightly steam until tender.

Missouri City, TX

Right on, darius!

Steaming is so much quicker and keeps the color and flavor in any vegetable.

When boiling, I have leaned to use as little liquid as possible, and check for doneness often. Want some of the original texture not mushy, soggy #$%^.

Remember spending summers in MO and IA, and many of the farm wives would boil green beans for hours. Did not know how good green beans could be till getting some at a Chinese restaurant - definately not overcooked.

Here's the recipe
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/387446/

I've tried beets every which way, from raw to steamed to pickled, sweet, roasted, and everything in between. Nope. I can do black eyed peas in a heart beat. Collards, tentatively. But beets are just not my thing - unless they're in granulated into that bag of sugar.

Dinner last night turned into "let's slip out for a bite" since it was only me and Swimmer Girl. And she doesn't like fish. Mr. Official had month-end closing and Middle Son is in the midst of finals week, so neither of them turned up anywhere near dinner time. Some days are like that.

Columbus, OH

Darius, I've made that recipe and they're really delicious. 100% better with fresh orange juice.

For BEP or any bean, I encourage you to cook your own. A fraction of the sodium and a far more appealing texture than canned. I freeze the cooked beans in 2 cup containers, they freeze very well. Cheaper, way better texture, better flavor, and dead easy.

My favorite BEP recipe is a salsa...two cups of BEP, about the same amount of chopped tomato, 1/4 cup finely chopped onion, chopped jalapeno or other pepper to taste, 1/2 cup cooked, cooled corn or thawed frozen corn, chopped cilantro to taste, and season with a touch of light oil--just enough to give a gloss to the veg, maybe 1 teaspoon, salt, pepper and lime juice. You can add a chopped, firm avocado if you like them. I use this as a lighter, cooler side dish than refried beans or hot, cooked black or pinto beans. Nice with grilled meats.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

So many great recipes on here. How to try them all? Mary - on a mission to cook it all!

Tonight I'm trying a chicken thighs recipe with mushroom sauce. Real Simple mag had a two page spread of chicken thigh recipes, some look great.

I've a bunch of garden beets to use, may try darius' recipe - if I remember to buy some oranges.

The BEP salsa goes on the bucket list. Celene, how about using frozen BEP's? In that case I could make that tonight to go with the chx.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.