Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cacti and Succulents: Can someone identify this mystery Epiphyllum?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 12, Views: 146
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Careywood360
Careywood, ID
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9099838

Good morning! I am hoping that an epiphyllum expert on this forum can give me some help identifying my mystery epi. This plant was given to me by a dear lady who has since passed on. She thought it was a Christmas cactus and had given up on it ever blooming. So had I and was about to send it to the compost heap when it first bloomed for me about two years ago. I've been enchanted ever since. I now have a second one and fear that I've fallen prey to another gardening addiction! Anyway, if someone recognizes this beauty and can give me her name, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks very much!

Thumbnail by Careywood360
Click the image for an enlarged view.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

April 27, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9100534

It looks a lot like my E. ackermanii.

After a second look, it's not the same, but very pretty.
Gary

This message was edited Apr 27, 2012 7:54 PM

Thumbnail by smashedcactus

Ravens444
Mission Viejo, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9101036

There are sooooo many varieties...

Here is my Tocan's first bloom. I planted a cutting two years ago.

Thumbnail by Ravens444

Careywood360
Careywood, ID
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9102415

Thanks, Gary and Ravens444, for your responses to my quest. You're absolutely right; there are so many varieties and hybrids of epiphyllums that I'll probably never know the "proper" name of mine, but I thought it was worth asking. Thanks for sharing pictures of your beauties!
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9104692

Looks like an old kind called "First prom"
Careywood360
Careywood, ID
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9259590

Eclipse, forgive me for taking so long to respond to your reply! I can only plead gardening and canning as the excuse. I believe you may be right about the identity of my mystery epiphyllum. I have looked at a lot of images of "First Prom" online and they all look very much like mine. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me give my epi a name!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9265654

Careywood, I wish I knew the name of your beautiful plant and I also wish I knew what mine is. My Sister was going to toss it. I took it, re-potted and it bloomed in a few months and has continued blooming. Has to be the prettiest of all the blooms in my sun room.

Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu   Thumbnail by dahtzu      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 5, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9265931

Hi dahtzu: Not to shoo you away at all, but to suggest another resource if you haven't tried it yet: the Orchid Cactus community here on Dave's Garden. Many folks there are probably more experienced with the jungle and epiphytic cacti than most of us in the more xeric-oriented bunch in the Cacti and Succulents community, even though the communities definitely overlap in interests.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/episetc/all/
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9266927

The bloom on smashedcactus plant looks like mine.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9271334

Your's seems to have some orange in it. Mine is solid red. Here's my E. hookerii blooming this morning (Monday).

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus      

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9273027

I love it Gary! I've noticed that when you load pictures that the order is reversed in the sequence for viewing. I'm going to ask Internet Brands staff if they can change it so that the way we load them is the order they show; for example, 1st loaded appears 1st for viewing.

Gary: Maybe I'm wrong though. Did you load the partly opened picture first or third?

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 1:12 PM

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9273399

I decided to load the third picture after I already loaded the other two. It's amazing how fast they open. It had not started opening at 7:00. The first picture is at 8:00. The second at 8:30. And the last is at 8:45. I took it inside to show my wife and Daisy (my 16 yr old cat) had to get in the picture.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus      

Xenomorf

Xenomorf
Valley of the Sun, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9273554

Here's a list of links to Epiphyllum's that you can look through.
There are *Many* varieties of Red ones though
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6841610

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America