-
AuthorContent
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9100741

This is a safe place for the procrastinatrix to hang out.
Feel free to discuss anything you have been putting off " 'til the morrow".
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9102420

OOOOOH, there's too much to mention! I have so many items I've bought for future projects, but I haven't gotten around to them yet. I've begun getting rid of some of the items. I'm trying to be realistic but what I can actually do alone. But I still have way too many garden projects.

Inside, I have a floor to replace. One of my dogs messed it up. I have the materials to replace the tiles but haven't gotten around to it yet. One day it will annoy me enough that I'll just do it.

My office still seems to be a big source of procrastination. Both desks have been covered with papers and sticky notes to the point of distraction. I finally cleaned one desk off last night. Maybe tonight I'll be motivated to do the other desk. Maybe...
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9104955

Hi, Butterfly! I'm trying to imagine how your pup damaged the tile floor, or is it floor tiles? hope you can fix it.

I had been putting off fixing a water faucet when it suddenly broke off in my hand. Turned the water off at the pump and will deal with it tomorrow morning, after the bills get paid.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9106375

Oh, Huck, I hate those plumbing problems!

I have linoleum tiles. And one of my dogs has peed in the floor and the urine got under the tiles and lifted them. What a mess!! I pulled the nasty tiles up and cleaned the subfloor, but he's still peeing in there. I think it's my 14 yr old dog. He has incontinence and I'd make him outside dog but it's already too hot for him. The vet said my only alternative now is to put him down. But he's been my buddy for 14 yrs. I can see ending it now because he can't control himself...altho it's getting pretty annoying, especially if I get up in the middle of the night and step in some "goo". I've considered putting diapers on him, but then I'd have to clean him up and it's much easier to clean up the floor.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9108035

I have experienced this too. My 15 yr old lab lost the ability to get up. I actually drug him outside on his pad, lifted him onto the ground, and he peed on the grass. I did this for two days until I convinced myself he had lived a long, good life and could be released from the hardships of breaking down and dying. I imagined him getting bedsores, and that did it. I hate "playing God", but I am so grateful to have the option of euthanasia. We are lucky to have land so we can bury our loved ones at home. My vet lets us drive up to the side door and they come out to the vehicle and give the shots. I held him and comforted him for the last time. They have no anxiety this way, so less for me too. I don't know if you have these options. I just want to be honest and hope any of this can help you. You have my complete sympathy for whatever happens.

I fixed the broken pipe, plus a dripping faucet, a broken toilet flush handle AND an ancient electric appliance cord got replaced.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9109134

Hey Huck, now that you've finished your to-do list, could you come help with mine??? I hate plumbing issues. Some of the things I can take care of, like a leaky faucet. But a broken pipe I don't touch. I should probably learn to fix them. I've watched my brother do it lots of times. I'm always following him around to see what else I can learn. He's been my best teacher since I was a kid--when he taught me to mow the yard. The job then became mine and I soon began to hate that boy!! LOL

I can bury Sam at home, but it'll be a mighty big hole! My brother just got a backhoe, so he could have it dug in no time. But right now, Sam's only problem is being able to get up. Once he gets up, he's fine. He just doesn't have the muscle strength he used to have. And even though he's lost a much-needed 20 pounds (so he's now average for his breed), he's lost so much muscle too. I've tried for over a year to prepare myself to say goodbye, but I'm just not ready yet. He's still bright-eyed and bushytailed and follows me wherever I go and looks at me with lots of love. And if need be, he'd still jump someone who came into our home or tried to get rough with me. When I see that he is not happy anymore, then I think I could let him go. For now, he's still happy to be by my side, so for now I'll still clean up after him. I tell you, he takes up a lot space in my house. Without him here, it sure will feel empty.

I've been putting off my gardening chores too. I've felt so unmotivated this spring. I've got to snap out of it! I have gone on three plant safaris and brought home 3 vanloads of plants...which are still sitting in the yard waiting for their home. I hope I have more energy and focus tomorrow. I'm beginning to feel like a bum!

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click the image for an enlarged view.

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9111034

So precious! It is easy to see the +'s outweigh the -'s at this point. May it stay that way as long as possible.

For some reason I attempt to fix everything myself first. I don't even think of hiring pros until I have messed up good.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9111199

That's me too, Huck, unless I'm certain I either CAN't or don't want to do it. Cleaning house for instance. When I have the funds, I hire a friend to do it. There's always someone here who'll clean my small house for about $40 and sometimes it's worth every dollar not to have to waste my own time. I'm a gardener--I like playing in the dirt but I sure don't like cleaning it up. That's what I'm doing now--cleaning! Ugh!

I have a date coming here at noon--first date in a loooooong time. And I can't let him see that I live like a bachelor; if things work out right, he'll learn soon enough. LOL Actually I live more like a gardener, I suppose. There's mulch and dirt tracked in, and I had a sink full of hardy hibiscus--new varieties I mail-ordered and haven't had time to plant. But they were totally happy in a sink full of water for the last two weeks. Some are now two feet tall! I guess later he'll find out how serious a gardener I am; there are usually plants and dirt on the kitchen counters. But a first date is probably not the best time to let that secret out. LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 12, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9120967

What a wonderful topic...thanks Huck. Right up my alley, and so appropriate for what I have going on.

First off, great to see you Butterfly...it has been ages and ages. I don't have nearly the computer time I used to and recently I have been involved in the chatting portion of an upcoming plant swap that the Mid Atlantic Gardeners here at Dave's are having next weekend. Everyone is very, very excited about it, and after reading the many comments on the swap thread, I find it hard to find time to read other threads. So glad I saw this one today.

Maybe you two gals, and some others later hopefully can serve the same positions you did last year whilst I did a major de-clutter. Butterfly, your words have proven true yet once again. If there are items we can't get rid of the first go round, the de-cluttering process is always on-going, so a time will come that many more things can be disposed of. I am officially at that point now.

Back in December I was gifted with a nice sized check from my newly deceased Father in Law. It was totally unexpected because John had already received some nice sized checks. Anyway...my first thought was that I was going to FINALLY have new flooring installed. I have talked it to death since December, as always...but actually started the process last Monday when I visited a flooring store and chose my carpeting. On Tuesday an employee came out to get measurements, so I will know exactly what kind of money I am looking at. I haven't yet talked with company since Tuesday because I once again, first time in fourteen months...hurrah...had a bout with a Urinary Tract Infection which put me totally out of comission on Wednesday and Thursday. I was feeling well enough to go the doctor yesterday and get started on some sulfa, so am hoping to be tip top soon.

I have known since December that there are lots of knick knacks sitting around and in display cabinets that will need packing in order for the furniture to be moved the day of installation. I have just let my stomach do a flip flop each time that I would think about the work ahead of me. Anyway...the time has come. I plan to call the company on Monday and find out when they can be here to install the carpeting. I don't want to really get in to the packing up this weekend, due to not being full recovered from the infection yet. I am hoping by early week I will be ready to begin sorting through my things, that I wouldn't dare give up last year, and begin sitting things aside that can go away from here.

My ideal would be to find someone who would buy some of the glassware as a lot. I do not have time to sell things individually due the other demands on my time, such as babysitting three days a week and trying to enjoy my gardening before it gets too hot to garden. Anyway...I spent so much last year on plastic totes, that I thought of packing the keep things in card board boxes. I believe I have changed my mind on that and will possibly go later today with a five dollar off coupon, good today only and buy some bins to store these things in the shed while the work is going on here.

As I said, I am world class in procrastination on this particular project anyway. Maybe we can re-live some of the past when we served as encouragement to each other. I am surprised to hear that you are facing these issues Butterfly, because in the past, you have been such a go getter that it put me to shame. I guess dating will take over some of the extra time you used to have for completing projects. Hope the date goes well. It is exciting to hear that you are in the mood...for some companionship. Hope you have a good report after the date.

Huckleberry, thank you for starting this thread. I am hoping to hear some helpful hints for getting started...soon!!!

Ruby

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9125551

B-fly, here is a hardy hibiscus as big as a baby's head. They were as big as my head the first 2 seasons. Pooped out after 4 seasons. Hope your date went well!

Ruby, I figured I had better just admit to being a world class p-nator. Maybe it will help to get me moving stuff out, instead of avoiding the task.

I got DH to help make a new area for the garbage cans and wheelbarrow storage. I had a stack of lumber and metal roofing leaning around for a few years. Got it erected in 2 days. That's 2 yrs of annoyance gone in 2 days. I don't know why that exchange is not incentive enough. I was happy to have the job done, and happy with the results. Perhaps my big celebration is on hold because I have so many of these jobs lined up. I need to weed my projects. Step by step...

Keep up the good works!

Thumbnail by huckleberry6

rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 17, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9127384

I have heard that admitting something is the first step to changing it. So, the secret is out. No more pretending that every thing is a-okay. Time to get to work. I know exactly what you mean Huck, because I am now upon the time when there will be no more talking about my flooring project, but time to get busy. The house plants from inside are getting slowly taken outdoors this week and after that it done, packing up can begin and then the other steps necessary to enjoy my new flooring will hopefully fall in to place. Remember that the things that we deal with are all processes and that there are indeed steps that need to be taken in order to arrive at the completion of the project.

I know that sometimes when I have put something off such as your trash bin area, I wonder why I put it off so long after it has been done. If you are like me, I have a tendency to find excuse after excuse for not getting started and then always kick myself when whatever the project didn't take the time nor near as much energy as I believed it might.

One of these days I will learn to...just do it.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9132719

Hi ladies! Ruby, how's the new flooring coming along? You must be so excited! Has it been installed yet? Can we see a picture of it?

Yes, even those of us who seem to always be accomplishing something hit a barrier now and then. Sometimes we just wear ourselves out--physically and mentally and need a break. The weeds in my gardens are certainly happy with my procrastination, but tomorrow, I'll get out there and start reclaiming my gardens!

My date actually went well. We had been talking by email and phone for about a month, so I already knew I'd like him. Meeting was just the next step and now we are officially dating. He may be instrumental in helping me get some of my projects done. We sit on my porch and talk about what I'd like to do here and there. He has access to some free materials I can use too--landscape timbers or 4 x 4's that are set on his truck before a pallet of materials is placed on top of them with a forklift, old tarps that have small holes in them which I can patch and reuse, etc. He's got a good idea of what I need to complete garden projects, so if he sees something like that headed to a dumpster, he'll retrieve it for me. And he'll help with the projects. Having a little help can really spur me on; It's been a long process trying to do everything by myself since I don't have the money to hire someone to help. He's all excited about the possibility of building me a waterfall soon. He loves sitting on the porch and looking at the gardens and he can see my vision. It's really nice to have someone to share it with who can offer advice, suggestions and skillful hands.

Huck, I wonder why your hib pooped out? Maybe it needs some fertilizer? Or have the trees near it grown so much that they're providing too much shade for it?

Congratulations on the completion of your storage area. Don't ya just love it? And it only took two days to do it. Now that project is behind you. So what's next? Got another project slated to complete soon?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 22, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9133751

So glad the date went well. I know that you have been wanting to have someone special in your life for a while now. So neat that it is happening. Another couple of Dave's members that I have been in contact with for a year or so now, and have met and visited their home recently, met on Match.com. I didn't know it until I asked her. So cool that on line dating is available to people. I have spent some years of adult hood as a single person and know how hard it is to find a good person to date. Best wishes for a happy future. So great that he is willing to help with projects. All single women need a strong pair of hands from time to time.

When I first met John he was so thin and looked as though he would break in two if a strong wind blew. I didn't realize until he was digging a post hole in my yard one day the strength and muscle that was under the thinness. Having been married for almost twenty years now, he has beefed up quite well. He is still on the thin side, but there is no question about how strong he still is even in his late fifties.

We haven't yet done the carpeting Nancy Ann. I have had to wait for houseplants to go outdoors before I started anything. I have a copy of the contract for the carpeting and installation here on my desk, but after showing it to John and realizing how much they want to charge for moving our furniture, we are going to give it more thought before signing to have them do it. They want four hundred and seventy five dollars for it, and we are hoping to be able to do it ourselves and save that amount.

Oh yeah, I will certainly show pictures after the fact, because I am so looking forward to this. I have always hated the carpeting in here and am just now being able to afford to change it. I will definitely be doing a happy dance.

Here is wishing you continued good luck with the new fella. Take good care and thanks for checking in. It is always good to hear how things are going in your part of the country.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9134042

Ruby, do y'all have friends and family who'll come over and move the furniture in and out? That could cut down on the cost so you'll have money for some other project.

Online dating is the thing these days. With everyone so busy and isolated nowadays, it's the perfect solution. A friend of mine has been married for 10 years now to a guy she met online. According to her, he's just perfect for her and she's gonna keep him. My sister met a guy online a year ago and they're still together. Tracy is a truck driver and it's nearly impossible to find someone when he's only home about four days a month. I'm not accustomed to having someone around all the time so the fact that he's gone a lot appeals to me. I'm way too independent to have someone underfoot all the time. LOL So this works out for us.

I've been procrastinating outside but this morning I popped out of bed and cleaned off the patio Tracy likes to sit on while smoking. (I don't smoke and don't allow it in the house) It was a horrible mess with weeds growing between the pavers and trash the dogs chewed up spread all over it. Now it's nice and cozy. I have an old headboard and footboard that Tracy is going to turn into benches for me at some point. You'll see those at the far end of the patio in the picture below. I felt bad that everytime Tracy sat in the adirondack rocker, one weed was right at his feet and about 2 ft tall. (The weeds have just been awful this year. I'm going to have to invest in some Preen.) But when he comes back, he'll be able to comfortably enjoy his smokes. And until then, I'll continue to work on weeding the gardens. We have a beautiful view of the gardens from this patio...when the weeds aren't taking over. Below is a picture of what you would normally see.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser   Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
Click an image for an enlarged view.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 23, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9135013

Just gorgeous BC. I have always, always wanted one of those little foot bridges. I love them. I love your gazebo and the privacy fence, I love it all. I am glad that you are accepting of Tracy's cigarette habit. I am a heavy smoker and know that it really bothers some folks. We often visit homes where there is no smoking indoors, and that is no problem for us...we usually find a little smoking nook too at those homes.

We spent most of yesterday working on cleaning our front deck and the front gutters which were full of debris. After cleaning up a catch all table and making it acceptable to house plants, we moved out quite a large number of plants to spend their summer. I need to keep a good eye on them, because I am sure there are some that will need moving to a shadier spot later. I am thrilled that they are finally going outside. I can actually see the floor in the plant room now.

We are currently bombarded with plants. Early last week I received a mail order shipment from a nursery that was kind of slow in sending things. I had wanted those plants to be here and addressed and done with before attending Saturday's swap and bringing home a new card load of goodies. As it is, I am currently dealing with every thing at one time. Lots and lots to do, for sure.

The front deck looks a million times better than it did yesterday morning though. I am pleased. Still have some moving around of plants to do before the remains in plant room can be brought outside. Starting in an hour or so, my gardening chores will be put on the back burner, due to my two little charges coming in the afternoons for th next three days. I am hoping that I can give them a pot of soil and pails and shovels and they can occupy themselves while I work on potting some things. I will give it a try anyway...they love working in the dirt. hahaha

Anyway, sounds really good that Tracy is going to help with some of your projects. Before I married John
I had the very same feelings about being single as you have. I liked my space and couldn't think of having some one who would be the very least imposing treading on my turf. John has been a nice fit. He is as easy going as a spring breeze and someone of a different temprement would have a hard time fitting in to my crazy life style. We have had past issues with trying to work on projects together and find it best that we each do our own things separately for the most part. The duel project of cleaning the deck yesterday went okay with only one short shouting match.

I hope that things will continue to go well with this new romance. Sounds great so far. Hope that you have an enjoyable week and that you are able to get some productive things done. I feel quite satisfied with yesterdays progress, but don't know how much will be done today. Time will tell.

Huck, come out, come out wherever you are. Hoping that you are being productive with what ever you have going on currently. I am going to need yours and BC's encouragement skills very, very soon. Set up a tentative date for carpet installation yesterday...June 18 & 19. Between now and then there is a lot to be done in terms of packing up. Oh yeah BC, we do plan to call in some favors and move the furniture ourselves. A five hundred dollar savings is nothing to sneeze at. Yes maam, lots of other places that chunk of change can go.

Will close with a wish for a very enjoyable day for anyone reading. Take great care all.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9136303

Ruby, I got the bridge at Big Lots for $60 I think. It's really not made for outdoors--it's not treated lumber. But I think I can use it as a pattern to make a nice large treated bridge. Tracy wants to make a bigger pond with a stream and waterfall, so we'll have the bridge go over the stream. I showed him pictures of the patio (he's on the road so he won't see it in person for a while) and he says he'll love it. He loved sitting out there before, but now, with it cleaned up, it will really be nice.

I really can't stand smoke; being confined with a smoker will give me a migraine. But he does all his smoking outside. I'm not sure how I'll handle going over the road with him, which is something we've talked about. He tried to quit before so I am hoping that eventually he'll give it another try. We both have bad habits that impact our health, so maybe we can work on them together--for ourselves and each other.

Where will you put all your furniture while the carpet is being laid? Which rooms are getting new carpet? I'd love to have more hardwood in my house. I have no carpet; the dogs and I would ruin it in no time. Hardwood and tile are much easier to keep clean with all the running in and out we do. We live on a gravel road too and I leave the doors open whenever possible, so there's always a layer of dust on everything. I got rid of cloth furniture and now have only leather furniture in the living room. I also invested in entertainment centers and storage cabinets with doors or drawers to cut down on the dusting. If I could keep the dogs out of the bedroom, I could have carpet there, which would be nice. But for now I just keep throw rugs around. "The boys" love to sit and watch me put on my makeup and fix my hair, so I don't have the heart to ban them from the bedroom.

I was going to work on the weeds in the garden today, but a special project came up at work, so I have to go. Y'all have a productive day...and quit procrastinating. I know, I know, you'll try to quit tomorrow. LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 27, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9140434

Thanks for the chuckle BC. Yeah on the do it tomorrow thing.

Actually, I have had a hard time deciding between wooden laminate and carpeting. I have been back and forth, back and forth on it. What finally tipped the scales in terms of going with carpeting is a warning about wooden flooring being slippery and the current state of walking ability, which is very poor. I can almost trip over nothing these days. I figure if I do fall, the carpeting will be a more welcome surface.

We had the option of the carpet layers moving the furniture costing us four hundred and sevently five dollars or us doing it and saving that money. We have a decent sized storage shed which most things will go in to for a period of time. Things such as my desk and the TV will just be moved to an area of the house that is not being used the day the installers are here. I want them to come in two trips to do this.

Anyway, I started yesterday packing up the contents of the china cabinets and made quite good progress. If I do as well today, the china cabinets can be moved out to storage as soon as John has someone to help him do it. When all these extra pieces of furniture are moved out, I will then realize my dream of a minimalist look to the house. Heck, who knows...I may decide to leave things in storage for a while. Haven't yet decided.

Anyway...I am on a roll now hopefully and things should be smooth sailing, or at least I am hoping. Thanks for your interest Nancy Ann. Always good to get your input. Take good care.

Ruby

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9140803

Hi, Girls. Just sort of skimmed this long thread. We recently had to put down our little Schi-tzu that was 10 years old. After several trips to the vet they FINALLY determined she was diabetic. I kept telling them she is loosing weight and has lost control. Over $700 later they gave us the diagnosis. I know the trials that human beings have with diabetes and decided not to put her through it. Point is...when your sweet companions loose control, have them tested for diabetes.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9141267

Aw, I'm sorry for your loss, Lou. Thanks for the tip about diabetes and incontinence.

Thanks for the pics of your gorgeous garden, Butterfly. Glad to hear you are enjoying your beau.
Ruby, sorry I have been awol again. It's that procrastination factor.I have been busy in the garden. I also have been fussing with four darling baby chicks.
I haven't worked on my projects lately. We have company coming at the end of June, so I have to get cracking.
Have a lovely day everyone!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 28, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9141610

Lou, I am so sorry that you had to put your loved one down. I had to do the same thing a couple of years ago with a dog I had for almost fourteen years. Oh my gosh...did I spend a lot of time crying my heart out. I was finally able to reach a point where I decided that Lucky would not have wanted me to grieve so horribly over him, because his purpose in this life had been to bring me joy and he did a great job of it. I am now able to remember him and the good times, and not have such heart pangs when thinking of him being gone. I now have two more aging dogs and sometimes already dread what is certain to come before too very long.

Great tip for having animals checked for diabetes. I wouldn't have put two and two together on that one. Good information to have and thank you for sharing it.

Huck, please know that it is always a treat to hear from you, whenever you do stop in. Always love to hear what you have going on. Sounds like a busy time coming up...same as here. The time has finally arrived after six months of worrying about it that my carpet installation date has been set and I am now packing up for the work men to be able to come in and be out quickly. What a large project this is. Going through cabinets has been the weekends work, and next weekend I will address the closets. I feel as though I made good progress so far, and hope the other half of the packing and storing goes as well too.

I know about holding on to things that don't work. Just recently I had a rather expensive hand vac conk out on me. I stuck it in a closet with the thought of possibly taking it to see if it can be repaired. Since I will be tackling the closet where it is stored soon, I guess the time will have arrived that I either decide to trash it or take it in and see if a repair is possible. No telling what else I am going to find in that particular closet, because for six or seven years it has served as a basic catch all for many things that don't have other homes. Will be interesting for sure.

Anyway...please send good vibes or even prayers my way that the project continue to go smoothly and quickly for me. I seem to be on a roll and want to keep it up until my part of the deal is done. Hope that all readers are having a wonderful day.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9141659

I had a dream that a man drove up with his two young sons "looking for work'. I panicked as their eyes scanned my place and all the work-to-be-done. I ended up having to write a check for $200.00 because he cut a tree down that was growing out of the foundation of my "dream junk cabin". Having to write that check woke me up!

Good luck with your flooring. I saw a beautiful, skinny striped wooden floor at a cafe. It has been on my mind...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 29, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9143130

Aren't dreams strange at times? I too have had such startling events occur in dreams, that I too have awakened due to the panic or anxiety the event created for me.

I have heard one of the de-cluttering guru's talk of thinking of the space we use for our clutter in terms of the price of real estate and try to come up with an amount that we are paying each month on areas of our homes that are just storage spots for clutter. I am sure that some folks have been surprised when realizing how much of their house payment or rent payment is being paid for areas whose only purpose is to store clutter. The clutter storing spots coule be b etter used by having those areas serve another purpose and us hopefully not feeling bad about the monthly amount that is being paid for storage space.

Anyway... I suppose we are all different, and different things motivate people differently. I do know that I stop and listen when someone is talking about the condition of my bank account. I guess there is still hope for me.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9143194

Money is always a good motivator, Ruby. For me, the motivator is time. The less time I have to spend cleaning, the happier I am. With all the collections I had in the past, dusting was such a chore! And I HATE to dust. Now it takes very little time. I've gotten rid of most books and nic nacs and houseplants. Most of my furniture now has doors and drawers rather than open shelves. Living on a gravel road, with doors and windows open a lot, there's usually a layer of dust coating everything. But now it's simple to dust. (I still only do it when company is coming though. LOL) Having to clean less means I have more time for other things. For instance, I'm learning to be lazy! My boyfriend is so proud of me! Now he has company on the couch when he lies around watching movies. LOL

I've had Sam for 14 yrs and I know I'll soon have to say goodbye to him, but I'll procrastinate on that as long as I can. The poor fella is losing his sight and hearing, which the vet said is common in an old dog. I just don't like to think of him as old. I've been trying for two years to prepare myself for the inevitable, but I'll know I'll fall apart when the time comes. I had a scare recently and thought I'd have to lose Sam. He got hurt pretty badly and I knew he'd need surgery. The vet told me a few years ago that putting him under anesthesia would probably kill him, so I cried all the way to the vet's office when I took him in, knowing I wouldn't be bringing him home. But the vet looked at his wound and said surgery wouldn't be necessary; it was bad, but it was a wound that needed to heal from the inside out so no surgery. He gave me antibiotics and pain meds for Sam and I brought my big pooh-bear home where he healed within a couple of weeks thankfully.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9145155

I've finally done it--I cleaned out my closet! I've needed to for about a year now. I couldn't hang up new clothes I had bought. I have a rather large closet, all to myself, and it's been packed with various sizes of clothes from when I shrink, gain, shrink, gain... I finally got rid of the smallest clothes which would take me a couple of years to get back into. And I weeded out clothing in the other sizes. I ended up pulling out about 50 items that I'm sure I'd never wear again. Next I'll go thru my shoes. Next week, I'll carry it all to a consignment shop. When I was in there a few weeks ago, the owner asked if I had any clothes I'd like to sell, stating that she thought my clothing would sell well. So maybe I'll make a few bucks out of the deal. In any case, I've acquired more room and have several empty hangers now, even with all my clothing hung up. I don't have to pile my new clothes on the chest at the foot of the bed anymore. LOL

I'm still procrastinating on the weeds in the garden. I do have a good excuse though. I've been working a lot. Our charity event will be over Fri night, so I'll work thru Mon putting all our decor back in storage. So I won't to get to work outside until Tues at least. (Maybe by then I'll have a new excuse to use. Laziness isn't a legitimate excuse, is it???)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9145292

I would call it...just plain tired. Doesn't take near as much to use up my energy these days. what used to be 1/2 a day can easily turn into a week. Good for you on the closet. Ironically, I did the same thing this week. Now onto spouse's closet...next week.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 31, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9146056

Wow, must be national closet cleaning week...I too started on my linen closet a couple of days ago. It is not only closet cleaning week for me, but closet cleaning month. I have to have everything moved out of the house, and every thing up off the floor in order for the carpet to be installed. I decided to start with the most bothersome of the closets and I have been down right amazed at all that was stored in there. I must own thirty or forty sets of pillow cases. I have gone ahead and just packed everything up for storage now and will sort and get rid of things before bringing items back inside. I am hoping that it will serve to motivate me to downsize a bit because the carpeting and bare spaces look so great as is and I don't want to spoil the looks by bringing back things to just serve as clutter.

Great going on your clothing closet Nancy Ann. Good for you working on your closets too Lou. I am sure that after we are all finished we will be feeling so great about our accomplishments. I snapped a few pictures of some of the things I have packed up this week but haven't yet moved to its storage spot. We are walking through paths in the house this week. I guess the old saying of short term pain for long term gain is true. I can live with the mess and inconvenience for a while because I know the end prize will be so nice.

Nancy Ann, you have done an about face on us. I believe this new guy may just be a good fit. If he is getting you to slow down and smell the roses, that is a good thing. I don't need any encouragement to slow down, but need the encouragement to get started and keep at whatever the project may be. I can identify a lot more with the new you.

Anyway...good going ladies, so glad you shared that you are involved in some clean up too. I won't feel so badly when I attack more closets knowing that I have some partners in crime. Good luck with your cleaning and organizing.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw
Click an image for an enlarged view.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9146499

I see we use some of the same "tools". Zipper bags and the Space Bags. Not so sure they are a good thing for me. Encourages me to keep instead of delete.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 1, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9147423

You might have a point there Lou. I will try to remember you saying this when I get to unpacking and restocking the shelves. Thanks.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9148967

Good point, Lou. Any storage containers beckon for us to store instead of delete. We tend to use any space we have. If you have storage buildings, you know you will fill them to capacity too. It's sometimes difficult to stop storing. We hide things in closets, under beds, in drawers, buildings, etc.

When we built our house, my brother suggested cutting a hole in the ceiling to access the attic space for storage. I was smart enough at that time to say NO. I knew if I had attic space for storage, I'd fill it with useless stuff. I watched my mom fill every nook and cranny of her house AND two storage buildings--full of useless items of no value to anyone (broken windows, dry rotted tires from old cars she no longer had, moldy books, moth-eaten clothes, etc.). So I've always been afraid to have extra storage.

I've gotten rid of lots of rubbermaid containers, underbed storage containers, etc. to keep from filling them up again. I'm really trying to stop storing extra things. For instance, I just gave away two good-working printers. I have a great one for my computer so why did I need the other two? They just took up space. I bought a new van in Feb, just like my older one, but better. But I've been hanging onto the old one too, probably for sentimental reasons. It was my first minivan and I've had it for 14 yrs. The guy teaching me self-defense wants to buy it so I've finally agreed to sell it. It's silly to pay insurance and tags and taxes for it when I don't even drive it. When I do sign the title over, I'll probably shed a tear or two; I really love that van! Of course I love the new one too but we don't yet have the history that the old one and I do. LOL

Ruby, I get pretty lazy when Tracy is around. We end up doing so much that we're just worn out and have to spend a day just lying around watching movies. It's a good thing he's on the road most of the time; that's the only time I get anything done around here. And there's still a lot to be done!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9149025

Visited with a dear friend yesterday. They were our next door neighbors for almost 30 years. She and her husband were "dealers" at Canton, Texas, First Monday Flea Market for well over 20 years. Her passion has always been garage sales and estate sales, and she knew just what to buy and take home. Six months ago the cancer came back. She will most likely be gone from this earth within a month. When she opened the door to her home, she said,"I have already given away most of my good things to my children."

We are all terminal...some just know it is imminent. The things that we choose to keep says something about us although I'm not sure what it is. I have items in my possession that go back 150 years and belonged to some long lost ancestor that I can't really say I know who. Because they have survived and made it into my home I feel a weight of responsibility and have told my two children that someday they will have to accept the challenge. Why? I ask myself. These are inaniment (sp) objects and I don't even have an idea who most of them belonged to much less associate the object with an experience with a certain person.

After my visit yesterday, I'm feeling rather reflective.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9149882

Yes, Lou, I can feel the heaviness of your thoughts. We seem to come to this place often, the ol' you-can't -take-it-with-you factor. The acknowledgement that our treasures will be our loved one's trash. Or worse, their heavy burden. That should be enough to get cleaning, but it is too late if you are really ill. That realization can nudge me into action.
I have made some progress. I did not bring home anything today, including food. This is a first! It feels good enough to continue.

I agree with the idea that organizing and organizers can be a distraction and/or another excuse to keep unnecessary items.

Good luck to all of us. A big squeeze to your pooh-bear, Butterfly. =^..^=
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9150059

Thank you, Huck. You know the big guy is in pretty good shape to be 14 yrs old, according to the vet. Other than the arthritis and weak muscles in his hind quarters, he's very healthy. He's even lost a much needed 20 lbs, which helps keep him mobile. He had a life expectancy of around 8 yrs, so I've gotten 6 bonus years out of him. But I'm greedy; 14 yrs with the big brute just isn't enough! LOL

Below is a picture of him claiming in his spot in the van when I went to TX for a plant safari. I was loading up the van to go home and I guess he was afraid he'd be left behind. He found the only spot left available and thought he'd better claim it before I stuck some plants there. He's a wonderful travel companion--never complains, no matter how long he's stuck in the van. Road trips are one of his favorite things. The only thing that would make him better would be the ability to drive so I could nap. LOL

I faced that realization several years ago--the realization that my "collections" might burden my family. I was pretty sick and was sure I wasn't going to survive and clearing out my clutter was what drove me at that time. I couldn't work for long at a time and sometimes I just couldn't even think. But I began giving away things that I had pegged for people I loved. If someone came over mentioned liking something, I'd hand it to them. No one knew how sick I was or that I was "preparing" for the inevitable. They thought I was just decluttering, so they were happy to take the things they liked. I gave away a lot of stuff then. Eventually, the doctor was able to find the true source of my illness and fix it, so I then got back on my feet. And that's when I began selling whatever I could and really decluttering with motivation. And it's really true, the more you do, the easier it gets.

One of the hard things for me is going to be letting go of my old van. I told y'all I had it sold. Well, the friends who were going to buy it wrecked it on Thurs and now they don't wanna buy it. The insurance considers it "totalled" so they want me to surrender it to them for salvage. I've had this van for 14 yrs and NEVER had an accident in it. Now the front passenger's door is dented and they want to total it and send it to the salvage yard??? That hurts!!! I'm thinking I'll take less money for it and keep it. The motor and transmission are great; it looks great inside and out (if you don't look at that one door). So I just can't see letting it be parted out. Am I silly? My bf thinks I can get a good sum from the insurance AND then sell the van for almost what my friends were going to pay for it, so I'd come out ahead. But I'm thinking I may still not be able to let it go, altho I have a newer one just like it--even the same color. That's probably the only possession I have that I'm sentimental about.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 3, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9150184

What a sweet pup. I have always wished I had travel dogs. The one that I had who could successfully ride in a vehicle and not lose function of all bodily organs, couldn't be trusted to not hop out of car and run all over creation whenever I stopped. The other two leave my car a mess each time they have to ride to the Vet's office with all of the above mentioned.

Yep, some real inner searching going on here today. Lou, so sorry that you are facing the loss of yet another loved one. We had three special to us folks die last fall all within about two months of one another and it was a very sad time here. Thankfully we are at a point with each of these deaths that we are able to remember the good and fun times had with the people and not be in a very painful state any longer. Thank God for the ability to heal.

Good point on storage bins. Yes, that is true that the bins or whatever sort of encourage saving instead of parting with objects. Last week while searching on line for some motivation for clearing out I found a website that I have since returned to a few times and am reading and also listening to some of her audio recordings of tips for de-cluttering several areas of our lives.

Sue Rasmussen who is author of the said website believes there are six levels of clutter that a person needs to deal with in order to "make time for what really matters." The six levels are: physical clutter, time clutrer, relationship clutter, body clutter, mind clutter and energy clutter.

I am hoping by signing up for her program that I will be able to address each of these issues in my life and eventually be a point where I am satisfied with the s state of each of the levels. She admonishes us to go slowly and be gentle with ourselves, that it is not a race, but a life style change that will hopefully pay good dividends. As I get in the program and learn more, I will certainly share some of the high lights here.

BC, I feel your pain on not being able to decide what to do about your van. I know that folks often develop a real fondness for their vehicles and have problems becoming detached from them. I wish you the very best in doing whatever you deem best in the situation. You are very strong and very intelligent and I am sure will end up doing what is best in the situation.

Hope eeryone is happy a good Sunday and that the upcoming week is a good one for each of you too.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2012
11:15 PM

Post #9152790

Boy, I can relate to the vehicle attachment thing. If I can figure out how to scan an old photo, I will show you my old pickup! So sorry about the damage to your van. I was nearly murderous when my pickup was "abused". Glad that is all behind me now.
I think there is room enough for me in the back aside mr. pooh-bear. =^..^=

Ruby, I am looking forward to your decluttering work. I know we have heard much of it before, but something may finally get thru to us. Thanks in advance for the effort.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9153719

The lady is certainly right about all the areas of clutter. I found that my physical clutter reflected the state of my mind, spirit, and health. If one area is out of balance, all the areas become the same way. I found that working on one area actually affected the other areas, altho I didn't realize it at the time.

I'm preparing myself to say goodbye to Casper (the old van). The insurance company is going to give me a fair price for the damage and then I can sell him for about the equivalent amount, which will give me a nice little sum to buy a nice little economical car and not have payments on it. I've got the new van (Puxtawney), so I don't really need two. So I'll find a good home for Casper. I'm sure I'll cry as he drives out of the driveway one last time, but it's time to let him go.

But if y'all ever get a chance to get a Dodge Caravan, grab it. It's really been the best vehicle I've ever had, which is why I bought a newer one. I hope to drive it 10 or 15 yrs too. And the stow-n-go seats are the most amazing feature! I just love folding all the back seats down into the floorboard where no one even knows they're still in the van. The back of the van is like a truck bed then. I don't know much about cars, but I've owned several different makes, but these caravans just fit me and my lifestyle. I still laugh when I think about telling that salesman 14.5 years ago that I'm just not a van lady. The minute I sat in Casper, I just melted! LOL

N
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9153720

Here is a picture of "the twins". Casper is the van closest to the front.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 7, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9155581

Sounds as though things are working out for you BC. That is great. Wow, fourteen years is a good record for a vehicle. I myself am really partial to Subarus, and have now owned three, plus my older son has two and younger son owned one as his first car. I too have received some good service withi mine and am grateful for that.

Oh yeah, the sentimental value of some of our belongings. That is a major biggie. So many of the items I have held on to for many years are due to sentimental value. I am hoping that I too will be able to bitethe bullet soon and sentiments or not, let some things go that no longer fit my life style.

Was able to accomplish a few things yesterday that have really opened up some needed space. I moved all of the potting supplies outdoors in to three metal cabinets I found on Craigs List over the weekend. Also last evening I packed up a large trash bag of sweaters and tops that I no longer wear and am sending them today to my nieces who live in another county. After they have gone through the items and chosen what they want, I am hoping they will take the remainders to their church clothes closet and that who ever ends up with the items has a real need for them and that they will serve them well. My master closet heaved a big sign of relief when those things were moved out.

BC, over the weeks that I have been packing up and moving things out of the house I have had a few revelations that have surprised me. I am now understanding why the hoarding shows attempt to move everything out and then begin with a new slate. By doing this, my creative juices are flowing and I am finding some new ideas for storage that may not have been possible if I hadn't moved all contents from a certain area. I am already sensing that I will have an easier time letting go of things, and not returning them inside after I have spent some time in less dense surroundings. I have a distinct feeling that I am going to really like the pared down look.

Hope that things work well with the reimbursement and sale of auto parts. Sounds good so far. Take care until we meet again. If we don't chat again beforehand...hope that you have a great weekend.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9158524

Ruby, it is so enlightening to start with a clean slate. I've been known to move everything out of a room so I can start from scratch. It's really hard to see the room with new eyes if it is full of stuff. I would slowly start moving the biggest furniture back in first and then see what else the room asks for. Don't rush it either. Sit with a few items first and get a feel for the "new" room. Then you'll be able to see what belongs.

I'm proud of myself. I sold my old van last night...to my neighbor. So I've seen it drive by numerous times today. My neighbor is so happy with it. I ended up getting a good sum from the ins. company as well as a good sum from my neighbor too. So now I can buy a smaller, more economical car and have money left over to build a master bathroom. Surprisingly, I feel great about selling Casper; the new money will fulfill some dreams. I wasn't even sad last night when I signed over the title. I was actually relieved. I was really surprised. Even today, I feel a sense of relief. I suppose I'm happy that my neighbor bought it, so I can still see it daily. LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 12, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9162556

Nice ending to the Casper story. You were really concerned about letting it go and even questioned if you would be able to. That is where I am going to find myself shortly after the carpet is installed and I begin bringing things back inside. I am gearing up to let go of a large part of my belongings. I already have visions of a more minimalist look to my surroundings, and know that I am going to like it. This packing up experience has been very thought and idea provoking and I have come to realize the reason the TV shows insist on getting things out before starting a room or a home over. With things out of the way, I have come up with some better storage solutions to areas that have plagued me until now.

I really can't explain the transformation I seem to be going through, but I am finding it exciting, though very laborious and tiresome physically. I keep thinking of the end results and that keeps me going. So glad you checked in with a progress report BC. Great that the money you received for the van is enabling you to do some extras that weren't feasible before now. I am sure you will do a lovely job of the master bath.

Hope to chat again soon. Hope Huckleberry checks in soon.

Ruby

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9162611

Have I mentioned that we have lived in this same house since Feb. 10, 1967. Whoooo,Boy! 75-80 garage sales, shared with daughter, son, sister, brother, neighbors and ANYONE I could convince they needed whatever it was I have. Still covered up.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 14, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9165124

I hear you Lou. Always good to have you drop in and often share your words of wisdom with us.

I can report that as of today, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with this packing up project. My husband moved several small pieces of furniture out yesterday and that has made a world of difference. Just as I was sitting down here a few minutes ago, I looked around at the much more spacious room and breathed a sigh of relief, for me and for the house.

A yard sale is the very last thing in the world I want to do, but as I am packing, it is really bothering me that I have so very many items that were bought on impulse, and usually on sale, that have never been out of the packages, and it is really going to be bothersome for me to end up just donating these things versus getting a few cents on the dollar back from what I spent. Anyway... that decision is still down the road. I do know and have known for quite some time now, that much of what I have packed and stored over this last month, is not coming back inside.

I hope that you folks will bear with me as I talk my way through this long process. The packing has been done in a rush fashion, but I don't plan to rush when returning things inside. I plan to take my time and to ask those oh so important questions about do I love this piece and is it serving any purpose for me now? I can't express how nice it has been this past week or so to actually open closets and not have them so jam packed that it makes a person claustrophobic. My grand kids were playing games in the master closet earlier today and it took me back to my childhood when my nieghbor had built in attic storage and many, many hours that she and I spent playing dolls and house there.

I really do feel a transformation happening within me. Hopefully this collecting illness I have has run its course for the most part, and that I will grow to love living in a minimalist home. The only thorn in my side at the moment is that my twenty two year old son who lives here hasn't yet begun packing up his room. That room is still cluttered to the hilt. I need to remind him loudly that time is running out for him to do this. I did come up with a plan earlier today that I plan to enact if he still refuses to get busy and the carpet installers are due shortly...heck, he won't have to be bothered with packing, because I am going to do it for him. I plan to take every item of clothing and every shoe that is not hung up on the top shelf of his closet, throw them in a box and sit the boxes outside the house. He has also in recent weeks left a bunch of things that normally reside in his car, on my side porch where my house plants are. I cannot enjoy looking at the houseplants for his **** sitting on the porch. Sorry about the rant folks...

On to more positive thoughts. Lou, again I am much like you and it does thrill me when I have folks who want and will take away items that I no longer use or want. I am a big believer in re-homing homes. My older son asked some months back about a bookcase that I am thinking of doing away with. I believe I will offer it to him again the next time I see him, and be done with it. He came a few Saturdays ago and took away two pieces of furniture that I had stored in my storage shed. His moving those pieces opened up space for us to store the boxes and bins that need storing while the carpeting goes in.

Anyway...thanks folks for allowing me the floor for a bit. I so often need to write things down in order for me to become serious about doing them. If they just stay a thought, they are sometimes easily forgotten. Somehow writing down my plans help re-inforce my need to do them. Stay tuned to see who ends up cleaning son's area.

Ruby
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9166126

I am a list maker. Often I don't really follow it but it helps to clear the cobwebs from my brain. Quite by accident I discovered a trick with my husband of 51 years (as of June 9th) that if I asked him to do a certain chore he said I was nagging. Sooo...one day I made a list and gave it to him, telling him it was random order with no deadlines or organization from me. Well, bless his heart, he nearly killed himself getting every single item done. As of yesterday I have a new list. hahahaha
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 16, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9167697

I love it Lou!!! Oh my gosh...took 51 years to figure that one out, huh? Maybe that will work around here. I know that my partner and I have the same sort of issues. Whenever I have to ask him to do something, I get the reply...Now? No, do this next year this time. hahaha

I too am a list maker and keep my lists in one spot on the kitchen counter. I didn't realize that hubby often stopped to read what I written on my list, so last week, I took your way of doing it and also made a list with his name on it. Can't say he did any of the tasks without another reminder, but it really is something to be said about writing things down. It is a good reminder to ourselves, and it makes the plea real to the other person too. If we took the time to write it down, we must be serious about wanting it done. DUH!!!

Anyway...thanks for sharing this little tidbit that has worked well in your case. Hope that it has the same effect here.

Ruby

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9167814

I too am a list maker. It helps me see what needs to be done. I keep a running list of things that need to be done on my fridge. I mark things off as I do them. Now that Tracy is helping me, the list will be really handy for him to see what needs to be done without my being here to tell him. He's pretty good at taking my ideas and running with them.

Currently, we replacing the vanity cabinet in the bathroom. I found one I really like yesterday for $50 and bought it. This evening, Tracy is going to tile the top of it. And when I find a sink I like, he'll install it.

We're also planning a new master bath and I've already gathered some of the materials I need for it. I have plans sketched out, which my brother will convert to blueprints for us. A guy across town is remodelling a nice house and I'm buying a lot of the things he's taking out. They're actually very nice things; he just wants something different. I think I'm going to get his fancy kitchen countertops too, which will fit all my countertops perfectly, including the bar which is the right size for mine.

My neighbor is selling us a garden tub and a shower stall really cheap if they clean up well. So I won't have to pay regular price for too much. Most everything I'm getting really cheap or even free. And we're doing all the work ourselves, so the new bathroom we're buidling onto the house and the kitchen remodel will probably cost about $1000 or less. I'm so excited! Tracy is so eager to get started on it. He just bought new power tools he can't wait to use. LOL

So yes, lists are wonderful--for ourselves and for those who are doing our bidding. And seeing things checked off the lists spurs us on to get more accomplished. It's really good to see where we came from and where we're headed.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

June 17, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9168715

All sounds great Nancy Ann. Gosh, that is a major undertaking, but the same as my situation...so worth the blood, sweat and tears. I am taking a much needed rest this weekend. I have been so hard at it for about a month now, and especially the last week that I want to forget about packing, storing or organizing for a few days. I still have a week before the installation begins and I only have one last closet needing attention which hopefully won't take long...and then phew!!!!! done until moving back inside time.

I have a weekend list made during the week last week, but I haven't even looked at it for the past two days. Afraid to look because I am enjoying just leisurely taking time to be on the computer the past two days. There is a major scandal occurring at the University near by, and even though I am not associated with the University in any way, I have lived here my whole life, and the UVA is a major employer and major attraction for our area, that what goes on there affects the community quite a bit. The first female president of the institution was basically fired a week or so ago with no explanation to the community, and all sorts of back lash is occurring from that. This reaching as far as the Governor of the State of Virginia being involved since he is the one who appoints the Board of Visitors who are the ones doing the firing. There is a major rally being held this afternoon on campus and I have spent a large amount of time the past two days reading everyone's comments on this fiasco. This has some far reaching affects for sure and really fascinating for me.

I figure any chores I have to do will be there when I feel like tackling them. I will probably get up in a bit and go and check on my gardens. Last evening I spent a few hours watering pots on the deck, which is quite full this year and transplanting some seedlings that were too crowded where they were. That was lots of fun for a change from the packing I have been doing for almost a month now. I need to check my back beds and see how they are faring. I don't have a chance to check them every day, and with gardening, a lot can happen in a day or two.

Good luck with you upcoming project BC. I know with your eye for beauty that it will be luxurious. Of course we hope you will share pics of the final result. Enjoy your day.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9216532

Hello again. I didn't name this thread Procrastinator's Corner for nuthin.

Ruby, I am so glad to read your posts and hear of your progress. Good venting on your sloppy son, bless his mess! I love the idea of removing everything from a room and starting over, thoughtfully, item by item. Good hint, ladies!

I am making some progress. We gave our spa one last time to work properly for company and it didn't, so out it went. Sold it on Craigslist the next day for $50 as a fixer-upper. No sweat. I was so afraid it would sit next to the car for months until I could take a sledgehammer to it and haul it off to the dump. That was the big success. We also listed lots of other large items. Sold an air conditioner for $45. Woo-hoo!
Currently, we are working on a pair of glass doors to replace the window in the "kid" room. I have decided to turn this room into a library/guest room. This will take a while to get finished. I am so glad to be working on it.

Tonight I am sad. I made myself give a sweet, very pregnant kitty over to the animal shelter. I found her living in our lumber stack. I think she escaped from the Very Loud People across the road. I spent a whole month of spare time trying to befriend her and catch her as her belly grew. I guess the hormones made her lovey because I finally got to pet her last week. I kept her in the greenhouse last night. She ate none of the kibble or milk I gave her. I put her in the carrier and hauled her to the shelter this morning. Hubby had to fill out the papers because I couldn't, I stayed in the car and cried. I asked my husband's deceased grandmother to please help find a sweet widow in need of a gentle companion for little momma after her kittens are rehomed. This is the hard subject for me. Unwantedness. Homelessness. Surplus little lives. I am crushed. Please pray for all the little waifs.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 25, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9217936

Awwwww Huck...now I want to cry. I am so sorry that you have had to go through this very traumatic occurance. I am also so glad that you decided to share here about it. For folks who know anything at all about me, they know that I have a much softer heart towards animals than I do humans. I hear you and I feel your pain.

I know that one of the ways that I found the ability to cope with such sad situations and be able to go on and live my life after experiencing something so devastating to my heart and psyche, is that I will say a prayer when having to make decisions such as you just made. When I am able to pray that the Lord become involved in the situation, and do what is best by the creature, or human I happen to be praying for, knowing that the results of the outcome are in his hands, which are especially large and capable, usually gives me a sense of peace enough that I can carry on with life, versus being devasted by the sadness we are all subject to due to being human and living in this very less than perfect world. Phew...long sentence.

Anyway...you did the right thing. What a burden this would have been for you, had you tried to handle the situation alone. My daughter in law has been telling me for weeks now about a mother and daddy cat and nine kittens who have taken up home under their front porch. Nikki, my daugther in law is a true animal lover too and is a dog groomer as a profession. These cats showed up at her place too and she is making a lot phone calls and speaking with a lot of agencies about trying to re-home the cats. When she told me the story about her cats, I offered some financial assistance but she told me the other day that she is slowly finding homes for the cats on her own. I suppose if she gets down to only a few cats without homes, she will some how find the funds to at least have them spayed and neutered. Not sure what will go on with her little kitty family...while writing this I realize that in the spiritual, I believe the Lord is already at work in that he put both of these pregnant cats in places where they would be seen to and cared for by special people who love animals.

I hope that by the time you get to read this that you have found some sort of peace with your decision. It is a shame that pet owners don't do the right thing by their animals and have them spayed and neutered. So unfair, but so common to be negligent and then often repsonsible for allowing births of innocents who may end up facing a sure death due to over population.

I was writing an email earlier to friend and pointing out to her that due to my heart towards animals, I very often will donate funds to animal rescues before I will give to other human services organizations. I believe in my heart that on judgement day, we will answer for how we treated the creatures of this earth. Over the past fifteen years, my hubby and I have at one time had four rescue dogs as family members. We are now down to two being left as the other two have died of old age.

Maybe you can take this heart rendering incident to motivate you to somehow become involved in groups that help with spay and neuter programs. I don't know if I have made the point I am trying to make or have helped you feel any better about what you had to do, but I believe that you made the right choice, and if there are any bad guys in the situation, it would be the noisy neighbors for being as negligent as they were with not giving proper care to their pets.

Sorry for the long length of this message. I have some more to say on the subject and will try sending you a dmail. Take care and take heart, you did the right thing, now you need to have faith that the creator of these kitties will handle it from here on out.

God Bless Honey.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9218960

Thank you, Ruby. If left to my own way, I would become an animal hoarder. I would try to care for them, but the truth is it would quickly get out of hand. I have a terribly strong drive to rescue. When it is frustrated, I don't know what to do with all that energy. I know I did the best I could, but I still fantasize about adopting the kitty if no one else does. And all the other animals in the shelter. Hoo, boy!

Best of luck to your daughter-in-law. Bless her for caring for those guys.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9219409

Huck, I'm very much like you. I see the ads on Craigslist offering free puppies, kitties, ferrets, etc., and I want to take them all in. I've limited myself to two pets, but it's so hard to resist any creature who needs love. I rescued Nikko a year ago from a shelter where he'd spent most of his puppyhood. He was adopted out once, but returned shortly thereafter. His biggest fear is being abandoned at a kennel. When I had to take him back to the shelter for his neutering, he panicked and fought the leash when they started leading him back to the kennels where he'd grown up. Everyday he shows me how much he loves me and appreciates being loved and being free. He absolutely loves it here, and I have to keep reminding myself that he's my "project" now and I can't take on anymore; he needs all my attention and love. But still, it's hard to think of another creature out there who is neglected or suffering. I could be an animal hoarder too; I have to keep fighting myself.

I do donate money and items to the animal shelters in a way to help. Shelters always need newspapers, old blankets, note pads, RX bottles, leashes, pet carriers, litter boxes, etc. So maybe you could help out that way; when you see something on sale or cheap or if you have it lying around, donate it. That might help tone down the urge to rescue so much, but probably not much. You're a nurturer and I think you'll always have the urge. Have you thought about being a temporary rescuer? You could house one animal until it could be adopted. Then you could rotate animals; when one is adopted, you take in another needy soul for a time. We have lots of independent rescuers who work as a group and have adoption parties, but each individual cares for a few animals at a time, until they are adopted out. There's no shelter or central building--just individual rescuers working together.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 27, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9220292

Oh yeah, had forgotten that Nancy Ann was a furry friend lover too. Kindred hearts that non-animal people have difficulites understanding. If the truth be known I probably owe my very sanity as much to my pets as I do to modern medicine and counseling. These creatures are better than a happy pill.

When reading what you two have written, I grasp and understand every word. I must have gotten this trait from my dad. I have told people that whenever I would go visit him towards the end and take my little girl mixed poodle/terrier, my dad would always greet her first before acknowledging me. I get a kick out of that.

My two remaining dogs are getting some age on them now, and I am saddened whenever thinking of their not being here any longer. Over the last eight or so years, I have had two others leave and enter doggie heaven. At least after watching both of those dogs reach their last days, I will know what to look for with these two. I know in my heart, and believe it to be so that I have each of these unwanted pups a good home and did the very best by them that I knew how. I have no regrets other than a few more years of their company would have been nice.

Glad that you are doing better with this Huck. Again, very much appreciate that you felt comfortable enough to share this distress with us. You and our Nancy Ann are good people in my book. You lady's have a good weekend.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9223191

Did somebody say nurturing? My cat just let out a big wail. He came in full of stickers!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 30, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9223514

Oh gosh...what sort of stickers? I guess that are easier to work with than a dog who can search the field over behind our place and find the freshest pile of cow poo they can to take a roll in and then return home. Thankfully, that doesn't occur much these days, but we had a small dog who used to do this exact thing. Much easier bathing her than the other three good sized dogs.

Good luck on getting the stickers out.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 1, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9226362

The stickers are the seeds of "wild carrot",like a grain of rice covered in velcro. They can't harm the animal but are unsightly and raspy to the touch. The dangerous ones here are the long, hard wooden spears of different grasses and of course, foxtails. There is one grass seed that is very much like a toothpick. When horses eat them, they have had to have them removed. I pull those in late spring whenever I find one. My granddaughter had one come thru her sandal sole and into her foot. Not nice!
Speaking of procrastination, I finally got my 15 month old cats their first rabies vaccinations. Only 11 months late. I put it off because my last kitty had a raised lump after a rabies vac., but it did subside.

My husband is getting great mileage out of the fact that I cried over giving the pregnant kitty to animal control. I rarely cry. She is on Facebook, up for adoption. I hope she has the last laugh! =^..^=
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 7, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9233050

Much love and admiration coming your way Huck.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 2, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9262333

Waving hello to all...

Ruby
Floridafamily
Niceville, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9262459

Hi everyone! I have enjoyed reading the posts in clean and clutter free. I went online looking for encouragement in housekeeping because I'm not good at organizing so it's no fun for me. I used to have a beautiful garden where I used to live but I haven't touched the yard where I live now. I've had some trouble with depression, had a baby and am currently pregnant. Now that I've gotten better from depression I'm working on my housekeeping skills and trying to develop good habits, and have decided to treat myself to a garden again once I can keep up with my house... Thank you! Candy

This message was edited Sep 2, 2012 2:33 PM

Thumbnail by Floridafamily

rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 3, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9263185

Welcome Candy. Thank you for sharing parts of your story. I too have had bouts with depression and know how hard it is to get excited about anything much when dealing with depression. I am glad that yours is under better control now and that you have hope of being more involved in both gardening and home organization and decorating. I suppose the best advice I have to offer you is to go slow with both pursuits. Don't want to burn out by trying to do too much at one time. Both gardening and housekeeping are ongoing processes and require long term commitment, so you will have plenty of time to indulge in both. Congratulations on your pregnancy. All the more reason to work hard to over come the depression. You want to have the right mind set regarding a precious new life.

Please feel free to ask any sort of questions you might have, or ask for support from the group that reads these threads. I know that I do much better with projects when I have folks to talk with about whatever I am doing. I much prefer having a place to come and get new ideas for doing things and get some support when I am lacking motivation.

I wish you much success with both of you pursuits, and please know that we are here for you. Just holler...love the name of your town.

Ruby
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9265340

You'll do it, Candy. I know because most of us have been there.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9287566

Welcome, Candy! You have a full plate. Hope this site will be helpful to you.

Well, I have been all about the garden this summer. We just canned our tomatoes. I have grapes drying into raisins in the greenhouse. New this year is 3 gallons of raspberries fermenting into vinegar, I hope. This is a first for me. The corn is a complete failure, with the exception of one volunteer stalk that sprung up out of the basil. The freezer is packed with apples, peaches, berries, squash and beans. I have been one busy bee.

I completely bailed out on the french doors project. I keep promising to start again after the first frost kills the garden. I need to finish before the rains begin. The messes I get myself into...!

Good thoughts to all of you out there!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

September 27, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9287949

Candy - welcome!

Like you, I am new to DG. I've found some excellent ideas here on this de-cluttering forum and some crafty projects I just HAVE to do in the trash to treasure forum ... AFTER I get my house back in order.

It was all "perfect" once upon a time, before many family health issues, one after another for years, and then it became a "hot mess". Too much going on and I just quit caring, spiraling into depression. It took a few years to get the depression under control and now I am working on the house. As you know, the depression creeping back can be a daily battle too. But I can tell you, each day gets a little better. Always keep a grip on the depression and the rest will start to follow because you'll start to care again replacing the dread and uncaring with hope and the desire to change it.

Okay this may sound nuts, but it does work. When you wake up in the morning - smile. Put a fake one on your face if you have too, but smile. Think of something, anything that is/was funny and the smile becomes real. Then laugh. If you can't think of something on your own, go to something like this that will make you laugh. (You can't NOT laugh at this) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4abiHdQpc

What this does is; it causes the brain to produce the "feel good" chemicals dopamine and endorphins. This fights anxiety, depression and even pain. This is not my idea but scientifically proven. It makes a great start to your day and it helps keep your mind focused on the good and the goal.

I think Ruby also has some good points. - Go slow, if you look at the whole picture it can be overwhelming and sadly depressing. Instead, look at one small area or job at a time and concentrate on that only until it is done, then move to the next. It will show eventually. Her other point is very important and that is your babies! You want to give your best to them so you need to concentrate on yourself. Congratulations by the way but don't forget YOU need to be pampered too. The world won't come to an end if you take a day and just spend it doing whatever makes you happy - read, crafts, shopping, whatever. Just for Candy!

Good luck and keep us posted how you're doing!

Debbie

huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9296328

You are right, that baby did make me laugh. My husband could not see the video and thought it was his granddaughter. Good one, thanks!

Today we put the summer things away. It is a big, physical chore. I wonder how many more years we will do this.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 8, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9299415

Thanks Debbie for the laughing baby video. What a cutie!!!! and good for a belly laugh from me too.

Always great to see you Huckleberry. Oh gosh, been so busy and ill here that so many things that need attention haven't even been thought of yet. Forgot that the cool weather pj's need to come out soon and the warm weather ones can be packed away for a while. Been busy moving house plants back indoors and that has really been a production. Still have several on porch and hopefully the low temps the past two nights haven't damaged them in any way. I am almost out of space for them. A nice medium sized green house would be nice to have about now.

Anyway...hope that everyone has a good week coming up. Take good care all.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9313664

Love the thought of cool weather pj's, Ruby. I have hot flashes every night and can't wait for cooler weather.

The garden is almost finished for the year. I have the living room full of books. I am putting them in categories. I will count them. I told dh that he can pick 50 to keep, and I am picking 50. The rest are going into the back of the car, to be sold or donated.

I am moving my tender plants in also. I don't have many. I know you struggle each year with yours. Best wishes for getting them in and cared for. Don't forget to care for yourself too!

til we meet again...=^..^= =^..^=
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 24, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9313972

Howdy there Huck...was thinking of you the other day wondering how things were going with you. Sounds as though you have a plan in regards to the books. That sounds like a good plan to me. I am in the same category as yourself in terms of owning too, too many books. I have literally boxes and boxes of them. Not too many years ago I went weekly to meetings that were held in the basement of a nearby Library. Before entering the meeting room, there was a good sized room for books that the Library sold for a little or nothing. It was like clock work, each meeting I would lug home an arm full or more of interesting books. I really wish I knew more about the value of books so I would know whether or not I am giving away something that might have a bit of value.

True story...it is a wonder my hubby hasn't gotten rid of me for some of my unintended antics over the years. In the past few months I have been sending some of the packed up items to a friend of ours to sell on ebay. The first time he sold anything and was reporting what he had sold, he mentioned a fly fishing tackle making guide that sold for about fifty bucks. I almost fell on the floor...that was a very special book that I had taken great care of holding on to over the years, knowing that my husband liked the book and had paid over seventy dollars for it. Thankfully hubby didn't create a scene or give me too hard a time that it got sold. I really felt badly that it had been sent along to sell though. My bad.

Anyway...always great hearing from you. Happy ridding.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9315989

I'm learning to use my kindle these days. I will soon be clearing out a collection of novels I bought last year to read. Many of them are now on my kindle where they take up only a pinhead's amt of space. Right now I have about 300 or so novels in a tall wooden cabinet. Once they're gone, I can use the cabinet as a much-needed pantry. I just love my kindle fire! It fits in my purse and I don't damage any pages or the cover when I put it in my purse. It's lightweight and compact. It is a wonderful invention. And I can keep all the books I read, if I want, and they'll all fit on a tiny little SD card or on the space in my computer where I don't have to dust them. LOL

I have to say, I'm really loving all the space I have cleared out by getting rid of things. I recently cleaned out my closet so now I can actually see my clothes and shoes. I still have a lot to do, and I do a little regularly. I've discovered local facebook groups where I can sell what I don't want. So that encourages me to cull out more.

The interesting thing I've noticed is that once it's gone, I forget all about it. I never miss it. There has been only one thing I got rid of that I later wished I hadn't...but now, I couldn't even tell you what it was. LOL
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 28, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9317731

Yep, Nancy Ann...I understand perfectly about not missing the things that have been gotten rid of. I too am loving the more open space of my place since the carpet installation and the fact that I didn't return all furnishing afterwards. Nice to have a wider path to walk and the cluttered look is nice too. I am all for it and am very happy to have made the progress I have the past two years. Still a ways to go, but I am getting there thankfully.

One of these days I might find the time and have the inclination to learn more about modern technology than I now know. I am sure that if I lived a busier life and spent more time out of the home than I do, I would have found it necessary to learn things about the capabilities of cell phones and other cool technologies available. For now, I don't have any pressing need and that suits me fine. You make some great points for using a kindle versus reading actual books.

Hope that everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9317906

Staying uncluttered is an ongoing process. I'm constantly re-evaluating my belongings. I also find that I'm more conscious of the things I buy now too. I can go to flea markets now and come out empty-handed. I almost never buy nicnacs anymore--they're just something else to dust. Since I've gotten the kindle, I bypass all the paperbacks and hardbacks. I used to have a huge collection of DVDs and CDs. Now I only buy a DVD if I'm sure I'll watch the movie over and over for years. And I haven't bought a CD in ages. With most CDs, there are only 2 or 3 songs that I really like, so I just buy the individual songs online and download to an SD card that fits in my mp3 player.

Paper still seems to be my downfall. It doesn't seem to matter how much paper I get rid of, my desk is still cluttered and my office is a mess. I have lots of places to file and organize the office clutter, but for some reason, things just don't stay where I put them; they end up covering every inch of desk space I have. And you should see my computer monitor--brightly colored post it notes are all around the edge, framing the screen. I've tried every organizational technique I've learned about, but my desk is still a mess. Thank goodness I don't have to share it with anyone!
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9318584

Paper is my achilles heel too.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

October 30, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9320192

Good to see you Summerkid. You have been quiet. I understand about the paper mess and can report that I spent several hours over the weekend sorting through new mail, old mail and lots of other paper things that needed my attention. I have several things that need attention and have deadlines. I had one thing that I need to probably get to today that has been sitting for I don't know how long on top of a file that I hadn't looked at for a couple of weeks. I am sure I am getting close to the deadline. That is scary and not my usual modus operendi, but has happened now though. Paper clutter is not only unsightly, but in this case, may cost a person the loss of some money or losing other privileges by not meeting deadlines and such. Hopefully this last little reminder to not set things aside for too long will be motivating enough that I do better the next time. Address important things as they come, and don't sit aside...thirty days rolls around mighty quick at times.

You ladies take good care.

Ruby
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9320207

Oddly enough, I don't have an issue with mail. I toss junk mail out immediately. Most other mail is bills and they go in my bill drawer. When I sit down to pay bills, I grab the drawer and everything I need for bill paying is there. I pay the bills, file whatever I need to keep, and trash the rest.

Most of my desk clutter is "important notes" that I make for action I need to take or something I need to remember, etc. I have sticky notes and handwritten notes all over the desk and computer monitor.

I tried different techniques to organize my notes, like using a bulletin board or keeping all notes in a notebook and even going electronic. But I always come back to the "notes all over my desk" technique. LOL On one of my desks, I have a sheet of glass covering the top. But guess what I did--I slid notes underneath the glass so they are out of the way but visible when I need them. They're pretty much a permanent fixture under the glass because the glass is so heavy. So it wouldn't be feasible for all the temporary notes I do.

One day, I'll find the perfect system, I'm sure. If I had a better memory, I wouldn't need all these notes. Maybe what I really need is some Gingko Biloba???
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 2, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9322666

Cute BC...same here. I began becoming a note taker about fifteen or sixteen years or so ago. Before then, I didn't seem to have as much on my mind as I did at the time when going full force in to listing every thing I needed to do within a days time. I know me well enough to know that if I don't jot a note down about something I want to do, it will be forgotten and never done.

I suppose my desire to save the earth and fill my three compost bins is one reason that I save all our mail, junk and other wise. I sort through about once a week and send every thing appropriate to shredder. I sort by shiny paper and usually try not to let that get in with the good shredding material. I also take each envelope that comes in to the thouse and rip the little see through cellophane type of address window off and that goes in the trash versus being shredded. I give shredders a real run for their money, that is for sure. I just purchased a new shredder last month due to the other slowly fizzling out and dieing on me.

Anyway...I wouldn't worry too much about whatever system you use in order to remind yourself of things...if it is working, that is great and nothing different is needed. Here is hoping that anyone reading here will have a good weekend coming up.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9322850

Hey ladies, nice to have clutter conversations again!

Well, I counted 400 books. I separated them into categories by subject, boxed them, and hauled the first two boxes around town. It was a monday, and I learned that used bookstores are closed Sundays and Mondays. Well, of course they are, how did I not know that? Ok, don't get discouraged. I visited my sister (also a clutterbug) and we were both proud that she didn't take any, tho she saw a few that looked intriguing.
Yesterday was Thursday, so I hit it right and got a bookstore to look at my books. She took one slim book out of the 32 coffeetable-sizers. Offered me 75cents for it, which I happily accepted as I believe I paid less for it at a yard sale. Score! I abmitted to her that I had many more boxes and she said she would look at anything, which buoyed me. I did not feel rejection for the first time in these business transactions.
I drove right to the next bokstore on my list. The owner was very happy to look thru my boxes. He did not take any, and told me 3 times they were too dated. Well, that deflated me a bit. All the way home I composed a Craigslist ad saying "box of Craft books, $5.00. Box of Home Repair/Remodeling books,$5.00, etc." I kept my spirits up, like batting a balloon up in the air to keep it from touching the ground. Today I am trying one more bookstore, then I will place the ad. Whatever is left, I will donate to the Friends of the Library for their sales. I also bought many of my books from their sales. What goes around, comes around.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9322935

Way to go, Huck!! Wow, 400 books??! Do you feel lighter just having them off your shelves?

I'm a Nora Roberts fan and have collected about 125 or so of her books. Now that I have a kindle, I have about 200 of her books on the Kindle. So today I went thru my book collection and culled out about 100 physical books which are in ebook form on the Kindle. I'm getting ready to post them for sale on some local sites. If they don't sell locally, I will list them on Ebay. Nora Roberts is rather collectible so I dont' think I'll have much trouble selling the books.

I'm really loving my Kindle. I resisted buying one for so long but someone had a K. Fire for $125 recently, so I got it. It has taken me a month to figure it out, but in the last week I've read 3 books on it. I wasn't sure I'd like it and figured I could easily sell it for more than I paid for it if I decided I didn't want it, but I'm hooked! No more big fat books taking up space around here. I can 200 of them in my purse! I love it!! :-)
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9323180

Ruby, the shiny paper can compost too. Sometimes I've used shredded paper as an admittedly ugly mulch -- after a couple of rains it turns into papier mache, actually quite durable!

Sometime soon I will fill you all in on the garage sale to end garage sales that I am essentially holding this week. One more day. I opened up my art studio & kimono room, put a per-pound price on everything, and invited 2 local quilt guilds. They have nearly cleaned me out. It's fantastic. But right now I am going to slam a couple of beers & fall into the bathtub or the bed. EXHAUSTED. But totally worth it -- I have traded hundreds of pounds of textiles for a brick-size stack of checks & cash.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 3, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9323541

Yes, always nice to hear what folks are doing decluttering wise. Way to go so far Huckleberry and I believe that your Craigs List idea will be the most fruitful one. I too have a story from some years back in which I packed and boxed up several dolly loads of books and took them to a local bookstore. I believe I did leave with about thirty dollars that day, but had certainly expected a lot more than that. I was a bit insulted when the bookstore owner suggested I take the remaining books to a recycle drop off near by. I thought, oh yeah, so you can go back or send someone else back to get them later today and then sell them and have gotten them essentially free. No thanks, I brought them home.

Wow Summer!!!! Sounds as though you did this thing up big time and that the rewards are mighty. You go!! I know that probably in some cases the robes were hard to let go, but on the other hand, it also feels good to be rid of the weight they had become for you. I am sure that your fabrics will live on in beauty but in different forms. Yes please share the story of this endeavor. Love hearing about things that are totally out of my realm of experience. Never been too fabric minded, though can appreciate many of the asian designs.

You folks have a good weekend, ya hear?

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9352741

How exciting that fabric sale must have been, summerkid. I had to laugh at you "slamming down a couple of beers". I would have ended up celebrating at the Otis Cafe. ;-D

I have been making lavendar sachets instead of battling boxes of books. Gave up on the French door replacement project for the time being too. I will get back to both.

I hope you are all enjoying the holiday season.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 8, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9353011

We've had to postpone the addition of a new master bathroom with jacuzzi tub until spring. I have already bought most of the items I need for this project (found them at yard sales, Craigslist, clearance, etc when the price was right. Neighbor even donated the shower stall and jacuzzi tub with no pump. Friend who does remodelling had a pump for the tub and donated it. A tile store moved down the street from me and gave me a vanload of free tile--an assortment of neutral colors I can mix/match. Got lots of stuff cheap from a wealthy man remodelling a house he bought. I was so excited to finally have a nice big bathroom right off my bedroom, and now the project has to wait to spring. :-( So much of this stuff is taking up the entire porch on one side of my house, and the rest is cluttering up my dinign room. You can bet that at the first hint of spring, I'll be pushing to complete the project.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9353080

Oh, that is disappointing, Butterfly. But what an impressive list of cheap finds.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9353844

That's me, Summer, CHEAP!! I've learned to shop on Facebook groups and my family and friends are all amazed at what I get cheap or free. I keep telling them they should learn to be Facebook shoppers too...but then I don't need anymore competition, do I?
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9357743

It's a good thing we live too far away to be competitors! I love the thought of a collage of neutral tiles. It will be lovely. Spring will come before you know it.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 15, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9359004

Well, I feel in good company. I could be beating myself up for taking a few months break from dealing with clutter. So nice to hear that some of you are giving yourself a break too and have plans for projects later on. I knew that if I pressured myself to do things, I would end up resenting having to do it and that makes for me being a bit crazy at times.

Huck, I remember you saying years ago that the thing with clutter is that it is an ongoing process. I didn't fully realize that until here it is...two years later and I am still dealing with the very same issues. I have too much stuff!!! I have seen progress in areas though that are due to the hints and tips I have heard from you gals. I am ever appreciative for the continued support and encouragement I have found here. I still have a major amount of things to address and decide what to do with so I am sure that I will once again being asking for suggestions and some cheer leading on the side.

I suppose the thing I struggle most with is that the things that are now distressing me are items that I once spent money on obtaining. The fact that I spent good money on things that I now have no use for is kind of distressing. I sure wish I had some of the money back that I have spent. I suppose I could look at it like another time in my life when I sort of went over board and spent a lot of money on crafting supplies. I can remember admitting some guilt to a therapist I was talking to at the time and she very kindly said that the expenditures I made buying those craft supplies were probably on the same level as paying for a few nights stay in a psych ward. In other words...she felt that me spending the money on the art supplies kept me from going insane during an especially bad time in my life when I felt as though my life were falling apart.

Having said that...now that I realize that I often shop when under stress to give myself a lift...what other way can I begin handling my stresses that doesn't require obtaining things while doing so? Good topic of research for me. Hmmm...the connection between our shopping habits and our psyches? Do any of you have ideas on what I may put in to a search engine to study this? Do you understand what I am saying? I truly want to break this amassing cycle and need to study ways to do it.

What a epiphany!!! Now, to do something about it!!! I have known this all along actually, but I suppose while writing about it this morning I now see it is time to take the bull by the horns and find other ways to handle my stress because my old way has caused me even more stress by having too much stuff. AHA!!!

I hope that I will have good reports on this in the future. For now...I want to wish each of you and especially joyful holiday season. Much gratitude to each of you actively participating here. You are all very special to me.

Ruby
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9359109

Ruby, I promise that once you get rid of those objects that cost money, you will never give them another thought. Remember that they are not only bringing you pleasure, they are causing you pain.

Shopping is just one way that we fill the void of unhappiness. For some, it's food. Or alcohol. But why does it always have to be so destructive for us?

Now that you know the trigger/cycle, you can change it though! Could you sign up for some kind of music lessons? Yes, that is still "buying" something, but it would be an ephemeral thing, right?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

December 22, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9364653

There you go summer...hitting the nail on the head. I have read a few other clutter free boards this morning and the returning theme is to stop purchasing or amassing in other ways. I know that the emotions are tied directly to the tendency to hoard certain things. I can mind/brain wise tell you when these things became an issue for me, but heart wise haven't done the emotional work needed to prevent me from continuing to do them. I suppose I just haven't gotten down and dirty, on my knees in distress over the issue and not much progress has been made. In order for me to make other productive changes through out my life, it was only when pushed so very tightly in a corner, that there was no other way to turn is when I finally decided I had to throw in the towel and begin doing things differently.

I do know that I have made progress and am getting closer to being sick and tired of being sick and tired...of the clutter issue, but just haven't arrived yet. I feel quite embarrassed that one my marks on life has been my consumption of goods and that so much of my time and energy of late has been spent on stewing over what to do with so many possessions. I guess it is progress in one way that this is one of my major problems versus how I seemed to live for so many years, when life and death and survival is what used most of my time and energy. This is progress on that level at least. This one is definitely one that can be solved a lot easier than the life and death ones could at the time.

Thanks for pointing out summer that I need to begin looking at the pain the clutter is causing me and decide how much more pain and distress I want to deal with. Just think of all the time I would have on my hands then...as for music lessons...been there and done that as a child with piano and have lost all I knew at the time. If I were to get in to anything it would be something associated with drawing or painting...something that I have always wanted to do and have never done. Thank you for the thought provoking ideas...maybe if I have a goal at the end of the process, I will be much more inclined to see the de-clutter, get rid of it for good, never to be visited again issue and go on and find a new interest. You have just given me much reason for thought. Thank you so very much.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. I hope that the season is one of happiness and joy for all. May many of your dreams be realized as we go in to a new year. Thank you all for being here for me over the years as I work my through the process of getting things in better order...literally and figuratively. So glad I took the time to read today.

Ruby
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

December 25, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9366998

Aw, Merry Christmas, Ruby! And everyone else. And happy holidays too!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9369554

I am going to break the rules here at The Procrastinator's Corner and wish you all a Happy and less cluttered New Year!

My sis and here beau are coming New Year's day for a meal. This is great news as it is the push I need to clean up my little messes.

Ruby, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I need to look at my goofy expenditures as a hobby too, so I can stop punishing myself for wasting time and money on junk.

Forgiveness means giving up all hope of a better past.

Bless you all!
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

December 29, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9370154

Hi Ruby!

I've been away from DG for a few months due to more family health issues, 2 bad falls of my own and a death in the family just a week before Christmas. I am getting over a bad cold with sinus and chest congestion now and thought I would take some time to catch up.

I have to admit that you have hit the nail on the head with my problem as well. I too have been guilty of shopping for pleasure when stressed, depressed and anything else going on. I think it was for several reasons -

1. ESCAPE - no one could reach me when I was shopping and so I had some alone time. There was some type of "winning" associated with finding a great price on something. The rest of my life was so out of control but finding a bargain was a thrill. I was seeking that feeling of happiness to escape the problems in my life and the depression it brought. It didn't matter if I needed it or not, but if it was cheap - I had that baby! The result was a houseful of things. True much I do use, but just as much (maybe most) I don't.

2. FEAR - I think too, for me anyway, we never had a lot growing up. We ate, but it wasn't much sometimes. I walked the roads to pick up bottles for deposit money to get milk for my baby brother. After I grew up and got married, there were many hard times with money too. After he ran off with someone else and left me with nothing but my clothes and all the bills it was back in the well of depression, starting over at the bottom. So, I think for me, this makes the problem you have of being unable to turn loose of something "because I paid good money for it". Hard times make you fear being there again.

That's when all the life and death medical issues started in my family that I have told you about before. All very depressing things that fueled this habit. My worst was when I lost my Mom and felt so lost. It grew into a monster.

It took me a very long time - years - to realize I had a problem and yes the clutter was causing some of my pain and depression. I seemed in a Catch-22. Feel bad - buy crap - feel bad... The good news is I did realize it. I decided to make the thrill of winning, a new thing for me and that's to declutter a room, heck a corner, or just a table - whatever. Get rid of stuff and have a clean space and THAT would be my prize! I have a pickup truck that is a short bed, step side with a lockable tonneau cover, so the bed is like big trunk. I'd say closed, it is 4'x6'x 2'6" not huge, but still a good size. I filled it 3 times with clothes and household things and took it to a women's shelter nearby. It helps others in need and that makes it easier for me to get rid of. I don't have to have a dollar attached to it if I know someone needs it.

I have sold a lot on eBay, and some things on Craig's List that were antique, collectable or worth more and I'm still working on it. I am setting goals for myself. I set short goals I can attain fairly easily and then some medium goals and then long term goals. I've found if I make it all long term stuff it takes too long and I get side tracked. I make myself "rewards" when I reach a goal. (It's the carrot on the stick trick LOL) They range from a facial, to a day out with my camera or maybe a day with my crafts, but it is NOT gathering more stuff! It's working...slowly... but it is working. Sometimes I get all anxious about cleaning out this or that and I am halted by my family's needs, or my only inablilty to work that day from pain. This is discouraging but I do manage to get back at it. I am finding my house a little at a time. ^_^

If I might make a suggestion - you mentioned you'd like to take up drawing or painting. I think that is wonderful! I love that myself and I can tell you that is an escape in itself! Sure you can buy books on it but then again that's more clutter. Instead, search the web for how-to sites and go from there. Better yet, look for a nearby hobby store like Michael's or A.C. Moore and check out their classes. Treat yourself to one of their painting classes on one Saturday. I know both those stores offer them because they are around me, but other store chains may do so as well. Check in with your library, senior center or community center and see if they have classes. Many times they do and they are open to all with a fee for materials. It is an easy way to learn and see if you like something before you invest in supplies. I love all kinds of art but I have found oil painting to be the easiest. It's hard to make a mistake and if you do, it's correctable. The only straight line you need to be able to draw is if you paint the ocean and you need a staright horizon, everything else can have flaws and no one will see it.

Check it out. Make a New Years resolution to learn a new craft. I can tell you they make one of a kind beautiful wedding gifts too!

Hope everyone's holiday was joyful and your New Year is blessed!

I'll try to catch up on more posts tomorrow!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
9:13 PM

Post #9374796

i know the thrill of "winning" by getting something for 5, 10, or 25 cents. My home is full of things acquired that way from yard sales. And I never bargained. So many people have so much stuff. Now I am one of them, instead of the waif with nothing. I guess I "won", ha ha. The jokes' on me now, and it is not too funny.

Today I played with my 2 large buckets of broken glass I have been saving for 20 yrs. I started to sort, but found that it was all just broken glass. I schlepped them out to the car and will dump them in the recycling center tomorrow. That will feel good.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9375558

Good for you, huckle!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 7, 2013
10:02 AM

Post #9378129

Thank you for sharing your insights Lovestopaint. That you have realized these things about yourself and then taken steps to rectify issues shows great progress. Well, I suppose the day has come...snuck up on me...that I too need to begin addressing clutter. I had a good break from it and now need to tend to the issues while the weather keeps me indoors for the most part.

I wrote down a quote I read the other day...think on it...Clutter and excess doesn't serve us, we serve it. When I read this and began thinking about it, I realized that so much of my mental energy has gone in to thinking about my excesses and many hours in to storing it and "serving" it. I would love for 2013 to be the year that I was able to break the habit of collecting and amassing. Gosh, how I would love to report here next December and be able to say that I was no longer serving my clutter. I realize that it is up to me whether this happens or not.

I do know that it is really a good feeling to open a closet door and have extra space in it versus opening a closet door and things fall on top of you. Now that Christmas is over I have some storage space in my master closet and it is a good feeling. My husband and I have decided one thing during the holiday madness. We have always stored our Christmas items in the attic. He doesn't like to go up there due to hating heights and my walking issues has made it so I am afraid to chance going up there either. When the many storage bins came down this year he asked if we could store them in the storage shed instead of sending them back up there. He insists there is not much up there but for at least three years now I have been missing a set of holiday china that I have wanted to use. I have sent at least three people up to look for it and all have come back saying it isn't there. I suppose as we get to emptying the attic out, if it is there...it will show up. If it doesn't show up, I cannot begin to think of where it might have gone to.

Anyway...I have a friend who is going to take all the excesses I have packed up so far and hold a yard sale for me when the weathers warms up in the spring. After that the remainder will be donated to one of two charities I want to give to. After that I am hoping that the clutter issues will be but a memory for me.

The same person who will do the yard sale is also a painter by profession. I am going to speak to him about possibly painting the inside of my house. This past weekend while looking at some home remodeling shows I found a soothing cool light green color that I think I would love to be surrounded by. I am thinking that if the painting takes place, it might be a chance for me to not return all the wall jewelry I now have on the walls...mirrors, ornaments, art and so on... and that my house will be more welcoming and much calmer atmosphere all around. Right now, a person has a hard time deciding where to look because of all the stimulation.

Anyway...thank you folks for allowing me to ramble on. I find that writing to others here often allows me to get my thoughts and plan of action together in order to begin taking the steps needed to address whatever the issue at hand it.

I will close by wishing each of you a very great and prosperous new year. Let's all hope that 2013 is one of our very best ever.

Ruby
lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 7, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9378468

Hi Ruby,

Thank you for your encouragement. I am glad to share what I can because it also helps me to stay on track because I still have a long way to go. I have realized my problems and am working to rectify it, but it is a long process. It is something (for me anyway) that has to be a daily task. I think it will have to ALWAYS be, even after I de-clutter everything, because if I do not stay on top of it daily it could easily take over again. ^_^

Thank you too for taking what I wrote on 12/30 in the Daily Chuck-le #7 to heart. I posted -

"Perhaps you might want to keep it in mind as you get rid of useless stuff, think in terms of what serves you better. Things are just that - things. Too often they don't serve us, but we serve them. I think there is something wrong with that way of thinking and believe me I have been in that mind frame too long and working my way to change it."

You may have read it elsewhere but I am hoping my words were your help. I had just written it the other day. When that thought hit me, I was cleaning around piles of junk or moving it from one place to another. It was like a slap up side of my thick head...sort of like flipping a switch. Here I was working on this "stuff" when I could be doing something else. That's when I realized I was serving it. It took my time, my effort and made me depressed. Why would anyone want that? Ever since then I have been getting rid of stuff when time and physical ability allows. It made such an impression on me that I look at something and think - "Is this worth my time to clean? Is it of use to me? Is it worth keeping?" If it doesn't pass the test, out it goes. I guess it is the same thing as people say with clothes. "Does this fit? Does it look good on me? and most importantly, Do I wear it?" If not, why have it? I think I just converted the clothes idea to regular stuff and how it serves me rather than me serving it.

Anyway, I hope you also think about my suggestion above about a painting class at one of the hobby stores. It's a way to get your feet wet with not much expense and the class is a one day thing. I think you will enjoy it and who knows it could be a great winter past time for you. I love it because when I paint or do photography my mind is not on all the family health issues nor my own. It is an escape to my own world, one I create.

Debbie

rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 9, 2013
9:02 AM

Post #9380006

Hi again Debbie - hmmmm...as to us serving things, versus things serving us...it had the same effect on me too when I got right down to it. I am sick and tired of the hours upon hours I have devoted to moving around junk. I can envision a nice, clean and orderly space and it is a good picture for sure. I am making slow progress, but will take that. I too have other things that take my time and energy that come before decluttering, but I know that the continued work on de-cluttering will have such a great reward at the end, that I am really excited about getting back to doing it again.

The past few days I have done a little spot cleaning. Yesterday I made a trip to visit a friend from high school who took some juices off my hands that I bought and never used. That was serving as a thorn in my side each time I looked at them, and now with them gone, no prickly sticking in my side. There is certainly plenty more that needs to be moved out of here, but slowly but surely will get it done.

Here is hoping that others reading are making progress of some sort today. Happy days ya'll!!!

Ruby

lovetopaint
Newark, DE

January 10, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9380895

Ruby...are we twins? You sure sound like me in so many ways. ^_^

Debbie
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 6, 2013
1:23 PM

Post #9410426

Gosh, coming up on almost a month since I last posted. I haven't accessed any of the Dave's threads for about this period of time and sure miss chatting with so many of you whom I consider friends. I have lots of gardening buddies that I have had the great privilege of meeting in person at Plant Swaps for some years now. Much of our gardens are the result of being the recipient of some lovelies that others have shared due to them having too many of one thing. We too have shared our plant bounty with others too and I can attest that anyone visiting the swaps always going home feeling really good about spending time with some great people, plus having all sorts of new flowers and things for their gardens.

I also need to mention the great help that so many folks on the Clean and Clutter Free boards have meant to me over the years too. De-cluttering or downsizing has been something near and dear to my heart for some years. A couple of winters ago about this same time I underwent what I thought was a major de-clutter but have since learned that a person is really never done with it comes to this sort of thing. For the past couple of weeks I have been working pretty hard to get together some things for a charity that will pick up at our house. They arrive tomorrow and will get what I've gotten to so far. I am sure there will be another pick up or two down the road also as I haven't yet gotten to all the spaces where clutter seems to grow.

During this time during breaks I have been using my computer time to spend some time on Pinterest which can be really addicting. What I find there are pictures of dream homes that put ideas in to my head of what I would eventually want for my environment. I am also getting some great ideas for organizing and storage which
I am using as I go through different areas of the house and sort throught things. Once again I feel a lighter and freer spirit in the home since getting rid of some things that have been weighing it down.

I suppose I could apply a saying here that I have heard in regards to other challenges we as humans face...that being, the house didn't get in terrible shape over night and won't get straightened out over night either. I need to devote at least the same amount of time de-cluttering as I devoted to filling it up. It is all a process and can only be taken one step at a time.

I have been a bit sickened at times this week as I pack away things to donate or give away from thinking of the money I have spent over the years on things, many never taken out of their packaging. So many very expensive books that I never read, so much new makeup that I never wear. I have to also admit to being a sucker when it comes to those TV ads for the newest and latest gadget on the market. I must have five or six items supposedly to get the lint out of the dryer vent. Some I have used a time or two, but none perform as advertised.

I know that by de-cluttering a couple of years ago I was then shocked at the amount of little knick knack sorts of things I had due to being able to buy them cheaply at Dollar Tree stores. Upon realizing that, I was able to stop visiting the stores so much and when I did visit them, I tried to stick with purchasing food stuffs. Did pretty well with it. If the only thing I get out of the latest de-clutter is to stop purchasing books and make up, it will have been worth itself in money for me doing this.

Anyway...if there of those of you reading here for the first time, or someone who has been reading and chatting for a while, but haven't yet bitten the bullet and dived in to de-cluttering, I want to let you know that is something that you will never regret. I do not claim to be an expert on the topic or really someone who has done a fantastic job at it...I still have many bins marked saved for later to either try and sell or give to someone who will appreciate the item for some reason or the other. I used to sell on line but have been too busy and involved in some other things for some years now, but it is something that I hope to do again in the future after both of my grand children are in school and I have more time on my hands.

For now, I am just satisfied with the bit I have done and am looking forward to the day in which my home more represents a calm and peaceful place to be where the eye is pleased rather than a place with so much going on that a person doesn't know where to look first. A very special thank you to all who have played a part in encouraging and supporting me through my efforts over the years. I couldn't have done it without the help of good folks such as yourselves.

I hope this will open up some dialog between some of you who are currently attempting to do what I am doing and that is have a lovlier place to reside. Happy days to all.

Ruby
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2013
8:46 PM

Post #9410794

Ruby, so nice to hear from you! I always appreciate that you take the time & effort to create long, thoughtful posts like this. And I personally think that you have carved out TONS of space -- mental, physical & emotional -- over the last couple of years that is beginning to pay dividends. Just look at those lingering regrets like exercise: No pain, no gain.

You are already NOT buying stuff. That is key, key, key.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 12, 2013
11:58 AM

Post #9416753

Hey there Summerkid...thanks for the encouragement. I can't remember what I even wrote to make you say what you did, but I must have been complaining once again about something or the other. Today my report would be that I am feeling good about the amount of items which have left the premises over the past week or so. The Purple Heart folks came on Thursday as scheduled and I can now begin getting items together for them when they return in a month or so. Yesterday a friend came and took three large bags of bed clothes off my hands. That felt good to see them go too.

I must admit to still keeping a large amount of items...books especially and some collectible types of things that I may some day invest the time in trying to sell one way or the other. Who knows, maybe two more years down the road I will given up on that idea and will be glad to empty the bins they are in and allow them to go to new homes whether I receive any compensation for them or not. I really thought two years ago during the declutter that I had gotten rid of a lot of things...but believe me...I still mounds that could go, but I am not yet quite ready to release them.

I have put a lot of effort in to researching the emotions behind the hoard or collecting fever. I have known all along when and why the issue became one for me. The issue is now behind me and settled, but here I sit with a habit that is hard to break. As you pointed out Summer, at least I am no longer buying new things to come in. That is progress for sure.

Anyway...hope things out your way and on your side of the country are going well. Always lovely to hear from you.

Ruby
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2013
8:44 PM

Post #9587181

Hey, what happened to huckleberry?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 17, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9602254

Oh my gosh...I haven't heard from her in ages either...I know that she tended to come and go, but this is a super long time without hearing from her. Have you tried dmailing to see if she is still a member here? She might be like I have been recently and just too super involved in other things and has to let some things slide, and chatting here may be one of the things on her back burner for now...I am guessing, we never know what keeps regulars away...until we ask.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2013
10:16 PM

Post #9610211

I'm still among the living. I took a hiatus from the computer. I hit a brick wall in my clutter. I had to have the yard sale to end all yard sales. I did it! I exhausted myself, but over two weekends, I made $1,500.00 on mostly 50 cent stuff. Woo Hoo! Now I am taking stuff around town, looking for buyers. Craigslisted 5 bulky items tonight. Piece by piece, I am letting things go. I am still keeping pace with the slugs. Trying to pat myself on the back and give myself an "atta girl", but I am still my harshest critic. Gotta learn to ease up.
Sorry for flaking out, again. I am this way in real life too.
I am happy to find you are still active. Keep up the good work!
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2013
2:57 AM

Post #9610266

Here's another "atta girl." Huckle, you are doing AMAZING. What you are doing is in no way "flaking out."

I would have come & helped you with your sales but look at you, you didn't need me!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 7, 2013
6:27 AM

Post #9623850

Yet another success story in Huck's life...oh yeah, way to go girl!!! Ain't nothin' to it, but to do it...and you did it...you tackled it your way and got it done...great return for you money too...fifteen hundred is nothing to sneeze at. I agree with Butterfly and even the sluggish way is good if it gets the job done...I have to remember to count the small things that I accomplish in a day's time too...I often have lists miles long and often don't do anything on the lists...that is times that I have to recall the many small things I did do that particular day...and as you said Huck, pat ourselves on our backs for jobs well done...

Thank you so much for checking in and letting us know how things are with you...Good to see you too Butterfly...I miss both of you...I am a bit with you Huck in not having the time for some months now to keep up with the threads on Dave's that I used to participate in...after not chatting for months and then returning to some of them, I found that I was so out of the loop that I had nothing much to contribute, so didn't bother posting...

Folks and topics on Clean and Clutter Free are near and dear to my heart though, so they are the ones that I check first when I find the time...

I am happy to report that the actual painting inside my house officially started yesterday...after many months of talking about and wishing for...I am sure that having newly painted walls will be something that will keep me motivated in wanting my house to be in the best order I can keep it...

Keep up the good work all.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2013
9:11 PM

Post #9644403

Ooh, Ruby, I wish I were at the painting stage. Good luck! Fun, fun, fun.

I sold some items on craigslist. Lumber, Encyclopedias and a Ping-Pong table. They went to good homes and was I thrilled!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 29, 2013
8:09 AM

Post #9644692

Oh yeah, Craigs list is the bomb for sure...I haven't done much with it, but the few things I have sold through that avenue have worked well for me...so glad that you have had some success with it too. It is great hearing from you this week Huck...hope that things are going well for you...take good care.

Ruby
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 28, 2013
9:12 PM

Post #9718355

I have to admit something embarrassing.
The old kid's room I want to convert to a library/craft room is piled with boxes. Some empty, some full of stuff I haven't parted with yet.
The window fell out (long story). We covered the hole with plywood. This was in August, I think. It had a high priority to be fixed before the rain and cold began. Here it is, almost Dec., and that room is freezing. At least all that stuff is getting a good airing out.
I hope admitting to this embarrassing state of affairs will spur me to do something about it. If you wonder why Hubs doesn't fix it, he learned a long ago not to fix my messes. I got stuck on the fact that the old French doors I want to install need major repairs. I got the easy part fixed and gave up on the hard part.
Let's hope I will get to work on this project.

A Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9733356

And a Merry Christmas. Didn't procrastinate on the greeting! ;-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America