Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Bluestars - Easy-to Grow Perennials: Amsonia 'Blue Ice'

Communities > Forums > Article: Bluestars - Easy-to Grow Perennials
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bluestars - Easy-to Grow PerennialsReplies: 5, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9101091

I grow 3 several Amsonias. By far, 'Blue Ice' is the best garden plant of them all. The others look more weedy.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9101184

I planted 4 hubrictii in dappled to full zone and they've done nothing, but they're not dead. I bought tiny plants from a reputable nursery but these darned things are doing nothing. I won't yank them b/c they're alive and I can afford the space but these little jewels don't seem to realize their time is running out...Maybe I will try a Blue Ice.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9101249

Hubrichtii is nothing but a disappointment here. The leaves don't change colors in the fall either. I think they only do that up north!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9101260

does blue ice foliage change color? of course, it may not change in houston area anyway--we don't have much fall color change. High Country Gardens has a. Blue Ice and it's closest to me, plus they have a couple of penstemon I'm also considering.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9101272

The leaves of Blue Ice didn't change much either but it has nice blooms every spring. It's shorter too. I like it!
GwenSA
Lone Tree, CO

October 13, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9304299

I'm not sure which variety I'm growing of the Amsonias, but it has never bloomed & has barely spread. It does have beautiful yellow foliage in the fall. I've been reading that amsonias can be invasive from underground runners.

Thumbnail by GwenSA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bluestars - Easy-to Grow Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
amsonia article lisaaj 5 Sep 16, 2009 2:04 PM
help bertj 0 Sep 20, 2009 8:15 PM
amsonia tfl325 1 Jun 30, 2010 5:53 PM
deer resistant plants sunsetgarden 0 Apr 30, 2012 8:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America