Photo by Melody

Canadian Gardening: What's Happening in your Neck of the Woods?Chat with friends

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 221, Views: 859
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 29, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9102229

Thought I'd move us over on this sunny Sunday morning...

we moved from here..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1251358/#new

PLEASE if anyone at any time feels the thread is getting too long, please feel free to start a new thread..

Will go read last few posts and visit in a bit

This message was edited Apr 29, 2012 7:53 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 29, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9102249

Thanks for the move Betty ^_^
We sure generate lots of text .. all good though !!

Fingers crossed Brenda can go home from hospital today .. Lorna's only positive recollection re the 'hospital cuisine at St B' was the date squares, and they only arrived 3 times in the 2 weeks she was there, but, you could purchase them in the cafeteria LoL
Be nice if she can be discharged, guess it's a wait and see proposition.

ANOTHER heavy frost morning .. lawsie am tired of them .. you can sure tell how hearty Iris and DayLilies are though ! The bunches of them I have are hanging on ..
Going to hang sheets on the line .. know they'll dry as we do have the ever constant wind, and, brilliant SUNSHINE :-)

Have a nice day everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 29, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9102295

"M" must find a spot for my clothesline! Got taken down when they screened in the porch..sure miss snuggling into wind blown spring smelling linen.

Hard to believe that what was once a life threatening operation is now done daily and patient home within a week..just amazing!! Am sure Brenda is sitting waiting for her doctor to come in and give her the go ahead.

No frost here this mornimg, see much growth in the gardens however with being sick all week I didn't get to any weeding and it's much needed. Perhaps if I'm up to it a 1/2 hour of sunshine wouldn't do me harm..we will see.

I had finished my sisters stained glass piece last week, only thing remaining is to put a black finish on outside came frame..little bottle of black, similar to nail polish so I sit, do 5 minutes and take a break..no rush, Christmas isn't for a bit yet. Lol
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 29, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9102329

A lovely sunny day yesterday. Got one more bed cleared and tidied= lots to go but It is supposed t rain a few days this week so probably wont get much done, maybe some more today

I am on a committee which met yesterday at the coummunity centre to build a community garden( they are sprouting all over this city) I cant do any physical labor but am charged with coming up with a list of trees and shrubs with edible fruit.

Other than that was not feeling very good yesterday, not sure if it just the food issue which is getting worse or real nausea so I took some anti nausea pills I was given last Nov but have never used. Seems to have helped - went to bed early. When all else fails, lie down and sleep! Not the best solution but it is what I do.

I have new neighbors ( rental) nice couple with two dogs - a young French bulldog named Fara and an English bulldog named Bronx. If my dogs and their dogs are in the yard Fara rushs over to the fence to check things out - if my dogs see her they too rush to the fence and we have a bit of barking. Working on that one- Sassy is responding well to a loud NO Bailey is a bit of a problem as he is deaf but he does not persist. But it is funny whenever Farah is in the yard, dogs on my side or not , she patrols the fence keeping an eye on things. They are nice dogs.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 29, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9102378

Hope you don't have to fight nausea for the rest of the day Carol..guess you must stock up on medicines to meet whatever comes your way. Nice that you are enjoying the new neighbors..is she a gardener? Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could impart some of your garden knowledge to her. Guess when a home as renters not always are they kind to the grounds..few treat rentals as their own and with pride.

Aren't furries fun, takes them a bit of sniffing and barking before becoming best of friends.

My neighbor is always talking about gardening and what she will accomplish but the only person I see working in the yard is her hubby..big improvement over how they kept their property a few years ago.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 29, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9102765

ah yes Carol - lie down and rest/sleep! The nausea is caused by the treatment, I guess...
I'm sure there must be lots of community gardens, but I don't know of any.
I mentioned French Bulldogs to my DD Michelle as she wants a companion for her Pug. They've been thinking of one - there's one in their Doggy Day Care and she's so cute that Michelle says she's tempted to "kidnap" her lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 29, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9102799

In the words of George Bernard Shaw:
"This is the true joy in life - that being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. That being a force of nature, instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die. For the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It's a sort of splendid torch which I've got to hold up for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."

Wow - what a powerful message!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 29, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9102803

Brenda HAS been discharged - I just called the hospital!! As it's a long drive back home (think it's about 2 hours) she may not be home.
I won't call her today as she'll be resting, surely.
SO glad she's well enough to go home!! happy, happy, happy dance!!!!! (grin)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 29, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9102815

Nice to hear Brenda is 'sprung' .. her days will most definitely be filled with REST as it is almost the single most important thing she can to help herself heal ..

Sheets dried in less than 90 minutes ,, was going to sit outside for a bit, but that wind is not a friendly one .. so .. SCRABBLE it has been ..
Time now to get supper on the go .. BBQ is my friend ^_^

Take care all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 29, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9102839

Went and sat a few minutes on back deck, Lordy the wind is cold so it didn't last more than a few minutes. Should use the BBQ but starting it up for one is too much work!

I'm sure Brenda's hubby will be watching that she behaves..that is a long drive, she'll be sore by the time she reaches home.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 29, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9102848

It has been another decent day but I think the rain is just starting.
Did a little bit of weeding this morning.
And took the dogs for a walk- it has been a long time since I took them out - need to get back into the habit.Fortunately they walk about as slow as I do. As we came up the last stretch a couple came out of a new infill on the corner of the next block and stood and watched us and then they came across the street to meet the dogs and thanked me for stopping! Realised after I walked on we did not exchange names. They have only been here 2-3 months.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 29, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9102856

Rain's done, and temp has gone from 13c to 14c :-)
Guess the mechanic will be able to finish my car now!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 30, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9103737

Carol,bet it was wonderful, getting to go walking again with the furries..just think, not introducing yourselves is going to give you another opportunity to go by and and do so.

By now Susan you should have your wheels again, so where will you go now that you can open the door, start the car and drive?

Calling for much higher temps as the week progresses but along with it comes the rain..drats!

I'm at work this morning and thank goodness I've only had 1 call as the minute I start to talk I start hacking..would have stayed home but Suzanne called me at break of dawn to say she has the flu and couldn't come in..had clients dropping papers off so someone had to be here..as it happened one arrived at 9:05, still waiting for the other to come..origninally thought I might go home after he's been but will put in my day..fight this (*&^ t&^ thing.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 30, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9104015

Betty - my car isn't done yet - Richard has another car he's working on, then will come do mine.
And Bob's cut the drywall where he wants to put board in, to replace the drywall, and found no insulation so he's thinking of insulating... anyway, it now shows properly where the framing is so he has a reference point for placing the screws and finally the glass shelves. When they built this addition (the den) they didn't frame the on-16" centers so it's off by 1/2" or so. That makes a big difference if you miss it, right?!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 30, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9104138

Carol
Dogs and gardens can always spark a conversation! I think that having a good neighborhood starts with talking to each other. I try to at least go and say hi to the new folks on my block.
I thought you folks down east were getting some decent weather?
We are to be in for some rain this week.
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 30, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9104151

Will be anywhere between 19 - 25 tomorrow through to the weekend but rain/rain..gardens are enjoying the rain and sunshine though..really seeing some growth.

I do the same Annabell, chat them up and at least make them feel part of the neighborhood..not a lot of time for tea but I do invite them once the gardens are in shape to come and take a walk and see my pretties.. lot easier to make a friend than an enemy

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 30, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9104169

yeah... rain... hope the mechanic fixes my car before the rain comes...
Sure looking forward to my garden getting a good soaking, and my car Too! We've been having so many sticky seed pods flying about and they're on Everything! I think a lot of them are from our evergreen that grows up through our deck. Just get them cleaned up and another wind comes to give us More lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 1, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9105068

HAPPY MAY everyone ^_^
Thought it'd never get here, and, with it, we are 'supposedly' going to see a change in our temps here in TBay ..
Am hearing 'tales' of 22C on Wed and Thurs ... accompanied by rain, but higher temps just the same .. the Forsythia is starting to bloom out, so, a good indication things are on the UP swing :-)
Susan, I hear ya on 'the stickies' .. here it's the fluffy 'worm like' things that fall off the Poplar trees before the leaves reveal themselves .. flippin things are everywhere, but, happily, they DON'T stick to stuff as they're fluffy (ish)

Getting ready to help with a Hospice Hike this weekend .. and, trying not to think about the dental extraction on the 8th :-(

Have a good one

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 1, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9105232

Morning, nice mist here this morning, foggy, lucky or unlucky that I found the office lol
Did a quick walk in the gardens this morning, wow, lots of green growth..think all but a few shrubs survived the winter.
Stopped at WalMart on my way in for cough candies and picked up 2 hops..only place I can find them is the Barrie store..few years ago they were 7.98 and totay 9.98 but what a bang for your buck, by July the back arbour will be entirely covered. It's an anniversary sale at our Canadian Tire -4 days only, see they have spirea and potentilla and pink princess weigelia for 1/2 price..on for 6.88 sale starts Thursday so I'll have to drop in for a few..best time to stock up!

Giant trees in front yard will soon be shedding their casings, not looking forward to it, don't stick but talk about the mess they make, I usually work it into the gardens, acts as fertilizer I hope!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 1, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9105899

More than misting here - we have RAIN!! yaaaaaaaaaay, cuz Calgary is Such a dry place that we gardeners Love to see it Wet for a change.

My car isn't fixed yet - still waiting for our mechanic - he's busy with other jobs, and it IS raining (although he says that's not a factor... go figure?!?! He'd be working outside, not in a garage...)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 2, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9107490

22C here today .. WITH a southerly wind .. very nice :-)

Kind of a crappy day family news wise .. Lorna's Great Aunt Doreen passed away this morning at 5:30am .. she had been ill for a good long while ... told me at Xmas she was ready to go and felt she had lived a full life .. she was a wonderful lady.
My Aunt Gladys .. 96 .. lived in the same complex as Doreen .. has now been placed in a Long Term Care Home .. living on her own was not a viable option.
Sigh .. life can sure smack ya one every once in awhile.

On the brighter side .. Hospice held a meeting for the volunteers involved in this coming Sundays 'Hospice Hike" .. over 150 participants .. not bad for a first time effort ^_^
Lorna and i will be helping out at the registration desk, as well, I'll provide First Aid at one of the Stations if needed.

Hope everyone id doing well ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 2, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9107563

Condolences "M" on the passing of your Great Aunt Doreen..I'm sure your talk at Christmas has given you a bit of peace knowing that she was content in the life she had lived..when grandma died at 99 she said the saddest part of living the last 20 or 30 years was losing all her siblings, friends and even her children, 5 of 7 had passed on before her..said it was a lonely life having no one to talk to about her generation...am sure your Aunt felt the same..

That is indeed a great turnout, now if only the weather cooperates.

It is raining here, calling for 90% rain and thunder storms for tomorrow, sure hoping it then clears for the weekend. With being. Sick these past few weekends little work got done in the gardens, where we started in March I thought I was well ahead of the game, now I'm behind..oh well, weeds will get to compete with the flowers and shrubs..I'll sure know it when I look to see what I'm pulling out, weed or flower as they shall be mature.

Stopped on my way home tonight and picked up another lilac, dark purple, hope he's not leading me astray with the color, not fond of those light purple lilacs..

Between taking cough medicine, cough candies, neocitrin my taste buds are the pitzzzz sooo think I'll skip supper and just have cereal..a bowl and a spoon to wash makes for easy kitchen chores.

Susan, did the mechanic come and fix your vehicle?

Waving to all others

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 2, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9107568

((((((((Marilyn)))))))) sad news indeed, about your Great Aunt Doreen...

No Betty - he hasn't been by... darn mechanic!!!
I like the darker lilacs too, Betty. The light ones look so washed out!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 3, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9108193

Thanks for the condolences. Much appreciated.

Spring showers (and lots of'em) here this morning .. and 'things' are greening up at a fast pace ..
Put one of the Hummingbird feeders up last evening as I wasn't sure if was a 'BIG BEE' or a Hummer that flew past me. I see on the calender I have them as arriving here last year on May 13.

Hope your car gets fixed soon Susan .. and, Betty .. how;s the cold? I see as per my FBook, that several folks have a wicked head cold ..

Off to town to have breakfast .. then physio :-(

Take care all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 3, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9108242

Morning all,

Was just getting ready for work when Suzanne called, said she was on her way to work, sniffling a bit and said she would prefer I work from home as not to get what is still lingering..think she got tired of my coughing and hacking while feverish so it's home I stay today and tomorrow..not that I mind..will give me the opportunity to rest a few more days.

When is the funeral "m"?

Got a call from Jeff this mornimg giving me all the particulars of his trip, leaves tomorrow for Jamaica (also to include some kayaking). I asked if someone was to pass would he want a call, said he would leave that up to me..for sure if it was me or his brother and family..know it's silly to ask but something one should know what to do. He says I'm such a worry wart...lol

As for my gardens, just soooo green, rain just stopped, not the warmest though.Canadian Tire anniversary sale in Midland, they have been there 10 years I believe..have shrubs on for $6.88 1/2 price so Ann is going into town and will pick some up to replace the few that did not make the winter. Can anyone tell me how much bone marrow to put into the hole?

Well, neocitrin is needed

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 3, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9108593

Dont remember Monday very much, think it rained all day, had the forgotten Mammogram , otherwise stayed home. Yesterday Tues) regular blood work in the morning but it definitely rained! My phone went out of service and internet was patchy so I found a neighbor who was home and called Telus, said 25 minute wait - (figured that meant there was a big problem but it seemed everybody elses phone was OK)so just chatted a bit and hung up! Later another neighbor was home and I called again and got straight thru. Appt time was Wed 4-6. The trick he asked me to try didnt work so wait for appt, still had internet from time to time. Just before I went to bed ( the rain had stopped for a while I checked the phone and had a line! Figured it mst be a moiture problem. Same next morning. So I called to cancel and tech said no still come so I left it. Good thing because later on lost the line again. Tech didnt make it until almost 6 but looked at the sign on my door and said its OK I do have a cold but your problem is outside so I dont need to come in the house. Dont know what he did but it took about an hour and he was climbing up and down the poles etc and it is all fixed!

Chemo yesterday, all went well. I take my pre chemo pills an hour before appt and they were about half hour late so I was pretty wobbly walking down the hall! Nice they put me in a bed instead of a chair so I just dozed the whole time. Then I also took the Ativan - usually sleep a couple of hours at home after but not yesterday - of course was waiting for the phone tech. One more chemo to go! Then my poor veins can recover I hope!

Went to bed early, woke up at 3, back to sleep and Bailey woke me whining at 630 - I got up let them out, fed them and went back to bed and slept another 2 hours! Here I am at 10AM and still not dressed! And ready for a nap! Good thing it is cold and rain off and on so I dont need to feel guilty about not going and working in the garden. This is dog walker day but he cant take the dogs for their regular run, will stop here when he is finished with the regular dogs and take my 3 for a shorter walk around the neighborhood - providing it is not raining of course. Bailey won't go outside if it is raining!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 3, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9108639

You have had quite a time of it Carol..glad all the equipment is back working..just so annoying ..don't know what we would do without our phones, cels and computers, panic situation for sure! I'm sure you will be relieved to have chemo treatments behind you..must be painful.

Garden can wait, you rest! Been the same here, rain then sun tries to come out then rain again..Ann went to town and picked up 6 shrubs for me..when she arrived she put them under the overhand and said I'd best not be digging holes and planting until I feel better..these friends are old mother hens..

I'm going to put out an s o s with friens, looking for some chicken and hens

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 3, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9108931

Carol - really quite a day... sounds like you really needed the sleep/rest!
I'm having intermittent internet too - I think it's my computer because I turn on my system and it says "Not available" then I wait for 2 minutes and it comes on. Plus, Shaw says my internet connection has been on for 28 days with no break, and no one else is having this issue. I chose "Repair" on the "little or no connection" icon next to my time, and it says it "repaired" it... but the issue is still happening. Dunno why.
Glad they gave you a bed to rest in - sure this must be common for those who are wobbly from meds and have to wait for the Dr. Also glad you only have one more chemo to go!!! Go ahead and not get dressed - sometimes you just have to "veg out" and it sounds like now is the time lol
Why can't your dog walker take them for regular run? Is it because he's busy with others, or the rain?

Betty - listen to Ann, no digging holes. Coughing as you still are, you don't need to over-exert yourself and end up coughing worse. Glad you're not going to work... you need to Not go running around to get to work, at least for a couple more days.

My car is STILL not being worked on... this is what you get when you ask a "druggie" to do the work. He's good (when he's working), and cheap (just what I need right now), but totally not reliable.

I spoke to my pastor today (after Bible Study) and it looks like I'll be helping him with Pastoral Visits (and I guess one of the elders of our Church - Mary). He thinks I'd be good at it, and I must admit - listening to those who need to vent about their situation is one of my fortes. I used to work for Memorial Gardens and often spoke to those "after need" and "pre-need), and it was a blessed time for me to listen to them and their concerns - past and present. It's an honour to be brought into their most private lives/concerns.
Of course I'll need to get a ride (until my car is fixed) and certainly they would send us as a team (couple of people, I believe). I'm looking forward to this discipleship.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 3, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9108980

Susan he had to pick up a new boarder who has to be in a crate and there was not enough room for my three. But he arrived early and took them out for about 45 minutes which was great and not much less than normal. Sassy is always on leash anyway and sometimes he has to leash Abby who wanders and does not listen to come back and Bailey who is deaf and wanders and hear to come back! I am fortunate that he still takes them to off leash - a lot of people would not take a deaf dog off leash. Especially as Bailey as always - even when he could hear - been one who wandered along smeling every blade of grass! He didnt mind if they were slow as he is having back issues so enjoyed slow walking! He has been walking Bailey ( and previously Fancy of course) since B was 2 years old - hardly seems 13 years have gone by- we were one of his first customers.

I only got the bed because for some reason no chairs were free, I was actually scheduled for a chair. I like the chairs and can sleep in them but once in a while it is nice to have a bed. They seemed to be quite busy, unusual to be late with appointments. I only see the doctor the start of each cycle, day before , so no meds in me then.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 3, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9108984

Well, however you got the bed - it Was nice, eh?!
Glad your dog walker has been with the dogs for so long - 13 years does seem to pass quicker than expected - can hardly believe it myself... He's also able to understand and adjust to their increasing age - he and his back, with them and their slow-down :-)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 4, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9109728

Well you can sure tell that there is an EXTRA LARGE full moon on the Earth's agenda for tomorrow night !! MAN .. I have had a night filled with just the WILDEST dreams, in 3D and techno colour LoL
I finally got up so as to not expose my mind to anymore 'mish mash' !!
Sure do hope the BIG moon will be visible on Saturday night .. kinda cloudy here ..

Have 3 funerals to 'hopefully' atttend in the next few days.
Lorna's great Aunt, and , if you can believe it .. 2 colleagues I worked with in excess of 15-20 years ago .. getting to the point I don't want to open the paper !!

Called to have a company come to do an measurement of our driveway, and, give us an estimate to have a product called 'crusher fines' put down .. the person I spoke with told ME to measure it off, call back, and they would then give me the estimate !!! Sheesh .. on the search now for someone with one of those 'walking measuring wheels' !! Perhaps Gord will just pace it off .. thought it was rather poor business practice !! COurse, there is little competition between companies in a small place like Thunder Bay .. this proves it !!

Hope everyone wakened feeling fit and well and ready to face the day with a smile ^_^
I'm trying !!

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 4, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9110376

Sharing some of Piper's 2nd BDay pics.
These animals sure keep sunshine in dull days :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 4, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9110439

yes indeed they do, Marilyn!
btw - is Piper going to eat ALL that cake? do y'think he'd share????
They wouldn't come out to do an estimate and measure for themselves? Geeeeeze - they really Must be busy (and it's bad customer service!)

Well, our mechanic is back, with the clamps installed now, and he wants to put the gas back in the tank - Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I have CAR!!!"

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 4, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9110448

What I wouldn't give for a piece of that cake, hungering for something sweet! Wow 3 funerals,there will be no more tears left to cry!

You would think they would come and do the measurements themselves as to have enough fines to do a proper job! You got to wonder don't you.

Still fighting this cold, now 2 weeks, ribs are blooming sore from all the coughing.

Carol, never hear of walkers in our area. Am sure there would be a need.

Sister just called to say the vet says one of her American Eskimo's will give birth to 4 if not 5 puppies..she is thrilled!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 4, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9110451

Yeh Susan, how exciting you have your own wheels back..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 4, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9110464

siiiiiiiiiiigh - Mechanic's Finished, and my car is my own!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 4, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9110963

Betty dog walking is big business in Calgary. The first company started about 13 years ago - now most of them are individuals. I lucked out when I hired Dean- his sister was a nurse at the hospital and stuck a notice on the bulletin board! He was working for this company originally and then when some of us discovered he was not getting much of the fee we were paying we encouraged him to go on his own. I am one of his original customers. He also boards 'his' dogs and a couple of times he has boarded dogs the rescue has adopted in an emergency. When I was in hospital in March and Joan had my dogs but was going to Hawaii he took the dogs and never charged me! It was Dean who did CPR on Bailey and rushed him to the vet when he went unconscious and then came to get me and take us home again. He also walked a neighbors dog and she had to have the dog euthanized recently and Dean came to the house, carried the dog to the car and into the vet and stayed with her the whole time. Our dogs are his dogs too!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 4, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9110992

Betty - Calgary is such a Dog's city that they have a separate cost on the bus - same as for adult humans LOL Mind you, this is not the "service" dog rate which is free, but for "regular dogs".
When I first moved to Calgary, and saw the rates on the outside of the bus, I was taken aback. I haven't been on a bus for years, but I don't think Calgarians really take advantage of the fact that dogs are fully accepted on buses. Don't know why that is...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 5, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9111280

Dean sounds like a treasure. I have a friend in Calgary who is a 'house cleaner', I'm sure there's some other name for that .. but .. she is such a reliable and trustworthy soul that many of her clients with pets have had her move into their homes while they go away so that their furries are tended to with care.
Here in TBay .. not sound crass .. it's 'dog eat dog' !! Boarding fees are horrendous .. and 'walkers' well .. kind of an anomaly.

COLD here today .. hoping for a bit of a warm up for the 'Hospice Hike' tomorrow .. at least Lorna and myself will be inside at the registration desk.

Saved a piece of cake for everyone :-)

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 5, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9111349

I did not have a car when I firt got Bailey and I used to take him on the bus after checking the stores I was going to visit to be sure I could bring him inside. Don't think he was ever too pleased - I think the airbrakes bothered him - ever since he has barked at city buses - no other type - and even now he is deaf he still barks when he sees a city bus.

Hey Marilyn is your house cleaning friend taking new customers? I may be using my cleaner of many years - moving to Vancouver probably in the fall. So I will be on the hunt.

It was raining when I got up to feed the dogs, went back to bed and now up again and it is snowing! Going to a workshop this afternoon on containers- dont really need to go but there were not many people registered so some of us signed up to be sure it was not cancelled. Meeting a friend at a McDonalds nearby first and going to try out a milkshake and fries - I know I can eat fries for some reason they go down fine! We were hoping to sit in the Hort Society garden to eat - guess that plan has changed!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 5, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9111817

Carol - y'mean you Don't want to sit out when it's snowing? LOL
We had our Church Garage sale today, and when I arrived to set up it was fine - misting a little bit, but thought it would be rain... HA - not many people came, because of the rain, I'm sure...
Sales were down at the tables, but the Church bake table and their book sale went just fine! People will always eat and read I guess lol Our luncheon went well too - we always have a soup/pie/beverage or hotdog/bun/beverage choice when we have our other sales. A lot of people come just for the lunch. Joan makes such a good soup - this one was Hamburger soup and she adds lots of chunky vegetables. yummmmm Either lunch for $5! Good value
I had Key Lime Pie - it was delicious!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 5, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9111828

Had to go back and read, thought for a sec you were moving to Vancouver! That's what happens when you read too quickly. Think I'd be moving if I still had snow. Yikes.

Susan, love going to church luncheons..always get the hamburger soup, delicious.

Last Saturday of the May our church has plant sale, I'm a big contributor to that sale, always come home with a trunk full. Lol

Verupy interesting about dogs on the buses,,dis I read right, thy pay a fare?

"M" are they calling for nice weather for the hike?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 5, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9111899

lol Betty - read quickly, and I thought Carol was moving to Vancouver, too lol Glad you're staying in Calgary Carol (although we don't keep in touch much... blush)

Yes, Betty - you read right - dog owners pay the same for their dogs as they pay for themselves - Adult fare.

Cold today - was 3 c this am, and s*^) ing... supposed to rain tonight. Then it gets nice - will be 20c on Tues!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9112301

Up and at'em .. cool day .. rain predected LATER hopefully AFTER the walk !!

CArol, will pop off an email to Kathy ... may I ask what portion of Calgary you live in ? As in N, S E, W .. I think Kathy is in the North (don't quote me on that though) .. all I know is she is a hard worker, thorough and efficient ..

Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday !!

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9112421

M I am in the inner SW, If she is interested I will D mail you my info.

Im not sure when my friend will be leaving - her husband went out in Jan but they have not been able to sell their mobile home yet. She does not want to spend another winter here so says if it does not sell by fall they will rent and she will move.She and her husband were friends of mine thru dogsport before she started cleaning . They both dance, taught here for years and she started cleaning to fund her dance lessons and competitions. But she is my age and is ready to quit! Both their sons own internationally known dance studios one in Denver one in Vancouver And herhusband is in IT specialist and used to look after my computer so I miss hi too although of course computer problems can be fixed from a distance.

The sun is out and predicted we will have a few nice days so hope to get into the garden.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 6, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9112777

Marilyn - guess I missed that part of your post that a friend of yours lives in Calgary - what part?
Carol - which mobile park does your cleaner live in?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 6, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9112841

Susan Across from Canada Olympic Park I think it is called Greenwood

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 6, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9112855

ah - We were going to move there when we first came to Calgary...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 7, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9113650

'THICK' rain at present and LOTS of it .. I won't complain as we have a well.

I would say about 40-50% of our Evergreens have been 'stressed' due to the unseasonable winter, warm March and horrid storm filled April .. the trees have yellowed and will lose their needles. The needles will come back, but, the trees will not be as 'full' .. sad .. Mother Nature is definitely poking us on the shoulder and asking us to smarten up !!!

Sleep escaped me last night .. worried re dental INVASION tomorrow .. am glad I have sedation to take prior to the extraction .. plus, I will be put out (that, I think, is the part that scares me most)

Haven't heard anything from Echoes (Brenda) .. am hoping that NO news is Good news ..

Guess I'll make some tea ..

Take care all

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 7, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9114232

I'm calling Brenda now...got her voice mail.
Hope she'll post on FB, send me an email, or call back...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 7, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9114270

oh oh, thought I had pressed 'send' after typing a post but guess I did not, that or it's gone into cyberspace lol

"M" you will be glad to have the extraction done, just think, bit of pain and no more toothache to contend with!
dull outside, said it would rain later today, must mean tonight..wind is up but not overly cold. Walked across the street to Swiss Chalet for lunch then visited the garden store..few metal art pieces I would have loved to come home with me but will have to wait!!

Sure hope Brenda is doing ok..perhaps she had to go for her regular check-up and yet to come home!!!
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

May 7, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9114447

Best check in with my mother hens. Slowly improving every day. Spent Friday at the discharge clinic, getting checked over. Lots of waiting, had ultra sound of my leg to make sure of no blood clots, so resting easier on that. Still practicing filling my lungs with air. Can raise two balls on the spirometer after a few tries.

Good luck tomorrow Mar. You will probably come out of your anesthetic as well as I did. Just open your eyes, and there you are. Then it's your turn to take it easy for awhile.

Carol, so glad your treatments are almost all done. I ate a lot of toasted tomato sandwiches. For some reason, they were one of the few things that didn't taste off to me.

~~~waving to everyone passing through.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 7, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9114469

Brenda..nice to see you post again. Take it easy and let your hubby fuss over you a bit.

Lol , Carol, I too thought you said you were moving and I had to re-read, what a dummy I am.

Marilyn, I agree with Betty- you will feel much better after!

Our weather has gone to the summer with 18 today and 23 tomorrow.
Just got my order from Botanus and will be potting up a storm tonight.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 7, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9114485

Hiya BRENDA!!!! Aren't you glad we Are "mother hens"? lol
mmmmm tomato sandwiches - I'd heard that it's one thing people can eat after surgery... and those on chemo, too!
Is Connor doing the gardening?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 7, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9114526

HUGE smile and a HAPPY hello to Brenda .. good to hear you're 'coming along' ^_^

I am about to remove my nailpolish .. shower .. take the 2 Ativan and try to sleep .. be up and outta here very early .. the 'procedure' takes place at 8:30am.
Good ol Gord will have a 'drunken sailor' to ferry home tomorrow LoL

Thanks for all the support .. no sammies for me for a bit, I guess it'll be yogurt/soup or porridge, and, LOTS of TEA !!!

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 7, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9114605

Well I can drink tomato soup although it is now starting to taste a bit tinny - havent tried a tomato sandwich - probably just as bad as anything else but worth a try next time I go to the store When even water tastes bad you know something is wrong!

.Glad to hear things are going well Brenda.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 7, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9114610

~M~ I'm SURE your procedure will go well, and just have to watch what you eat, and get lots of rest - any procedure is Bound to be tiring, cuz it's an "invasion" of your body. So, take care m'dear.

Carol - have you tried homemade tomato soup? I guess your taste buds must be ultra sensitive right now and anything out of a tin is going to taste "tinny"

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 7, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9114628

Drats,not sure what I pressed but it wasn't send, lost my post...

So this one will be much sorter seeing I'm ready for bed.

Thrilled to see you post Brenda..you sure are making great recovery strides, must be due to good support system looking afte you and you behaving. Pays to listen to the doctors!

"m"' can see you as a drunken Sailor. Lol. Now don't take too much meds and miss the hole production..all kidding aside, we will be thinking of you come morning time.

Alberta Ann, you are aging our weekend weather, isn't it nice that I sent it your way.

Did you get outside today Carol?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 7, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9114649

We're all enjoying the beautiful weather you sent our way, Betty! Can't believe how warm it is today! and tomorrow even more of the same! Thank you!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 7, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9114660

Enjoy, raining here today and tomorrow so when you get tired of it please send it my way!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 7, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9114853

Are we doing a "back and forth" of weather? I like that kind of swap - no one gets tired of any kind of weather LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #9115157

Foggy and damp this morning .. cool weather, but, supposedly the LAST day of it before we BURST into sunshine and warm temps .. Of course, the dandelions are thriving !!

Slept from about 9 til 5am .. Smokey rousted me out of bed .. ya know .. I am usually NEVER hungry in the morning for a few hours .. wouldn't ya know it, THIS morning I am and I can't eat anything :-(
7:30 I take 2 more Ativan .. then off we go .. hope to be home tucked up into bed by 1030.

Thanks again for the well wishes ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 8, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9115171

We are holding your hand this morning "m"
Always the way, when you are fasting you just cannot eat or drink, you want to eat anything under the sun..

Dandelions are almost over here..a few more cuts and they are gone. Light rain this morning and it's to continue through the day..gardens are loving it!

Was up a good part of the night nauseated, took gravol and it worked except for I could so want to sleep in this morning.

Better get a move on or I'll doze off just sitting.lol

"m" looking forward to you update...sending hugs
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9115437

Susan it is not that sort of issue - it is the taste buds in my mouth that are screwed up! So it does not matter what I eat or where it comes from. Really neutral things are abut the best of the worst at the moment - bananas,oatmeal for breakfast, plain rolls and so on.

Beautiful day here yesterday. Gardening friend came over and we got the raised beds read to plant and cleaned up a couple more of the flower beds and laid the tubing for the watering system in the south house bed - I have had the stuff for 2 years (Lee Valley) and did the back house beds last year but never got to this one - Now I have to put in the sprinklers ( which is the hard part) and the connectors to the watering system. And then tackle the front year - mostly that is trimming last years plants and soon the roses also. And looking for spots for the lilies I bought a couple of weeks ago.

Time also to turn on the underground system and make sure all is working OK.

Supposed to be another nice day today, I go for blood work in a bit and then free to start planting. Chemo tomorrow afternoon but Thurs supposed to have rain/snow then improving to the weekend.

M. hope all goes well with the dental. You will be glad to have it over with.

Dont know if any of you know Canadian poster Dianne (Kidneyguy) She posts mostly over on the general thread in pets - lives near Kingston. Lost her husband to cancer after a long illness 2 days ago.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 8, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9115471

Yes, she's on the Best/Worse and What did I learn today thread.. Warren whom we call Santa Warren got involved with a Christmas Swap for us this past Christmas and got so excited about doing so..while Dianne was in the hospital during Warren's last days he asked if she thought we would do it yearly..sure will! A great loss!!

Can't believe Carol with the summer type weather you are having that you could possibly have snow tomorrow..yikes, poor plants don't know what to do.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9115826

Betty - snow comes to Calgary any time of year.

Very sad and crying today - one of my church sisters passed on Sunday midnight - I just found out about it this am... Her DH is in our choir... I saw her at service on Sunday and she looked fine - although she did have many health issues, including being blind and having fallen in Jan (was in the hospital for 3 weeks and used a walked afterwards).
It's such a shock... Her DH would have been one of the musicians at a service our pastor does at a care home today. I was at the service and asked why he wasn't there... that's when I found out.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9115827

So long as the temps dont drop below freezing the plants will be fine.

Just back from blood work and a bit of shopping at Cdn Tire and Michaels - making a couple of memory boxes and have not used my paints for so long the small bottles amight as well ne thrown out. I used to do a lot of stencilling.

Bought some begonias and raspberries at Cdn Tire - it is very odd - looks like most of my raspberries are dead this year -= had a huge crop last year - they are almot 20years old, thought they would last forever. Need to get a strong armed neighbor in to dig out the old ones

Stopped at A&W and got a small order of fries - they tasted fine!.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9115831

odd that your raspberries would die... maybe it was the warm Dry winter we had. Not enough moisture.
I have some shrubs in the back that Bob says look dead too. Cottoneasters... got them 3 years ago, and they've done fine up to now...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 8, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9115833

Sorry to hear of your loss Susan..difficult to hear of the death of a friend!

Carol, lordy you have been busy this morning, you'll be tuckered out come late afternoon.Odd that you would have lost your raspberry plants? Could they just be slow in coming to life?
Now you've gone and make me hungry for strawberries..I survive on strawberries and tomatoes when in season..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 8, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9115834

Wonder how our "M" is doing about now???
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9115844

Betty yes it is odd - but from the look of the canes I think they are gone. These are off shoots ( suckers I suppose) from the original ones I planted 20 years ago.

Time for a nap!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9115847

Here's a picture of Helen & Peter - there will be a service Saturday at 2pm, and the choir will be singing.

Yes, I wonder if Marilyn's awake...

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 8, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9115953

Good looking couple..sad!!!

Carol, I think I'd wait a bit before pulling them out..wish I could have a nap
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9115970

OOOHH I would love a nap, do you think they would notice here at work? Carol I would wait for a bit, those razberries are tough plants.

Susan sorry to hear the sand news of your friend.
I too wonder about "M" .
Betty go ahead and have a nap.

Not too warm here today as it's a bit over cast. Was supposed to be 24, I don't think it will make it.
Got my Botanus order all into pots last night. I think I have 70 or so. Whew.

TTFN Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2012

Post #9116049

Betty - did you ever get anything settled about your Insurance?
Alberta Ann - it's 21 here now... and very warm.

I thought it was my cotoneasters that were dead, but it was a spruce (?!) that died. They need a lot of water, and it was very dry this winter.

Thank you, I will feel like I should be looking for her. Nice thing is, she'd gotten Communion on Sunday, and then passed that same night.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 8, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9116090

Hi all... I made it... Whew.. But.. Sore
The procedure went very well, iwas kind of sedated so. The experience is a goner for me.
Will write more once i'm back in on my computer. Using this black berry is slow going...

M

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 8, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9116096

Great to see you survived the proceedure "M"! Am sure yu will be hurting like heck over the next few days.

Susan, doctor called and wants to talk to me this Friday about the findings..not sure if I should be worried or not! I will pick not. Lol

Alberta Ann, are you homeward bound and looking for your bed?
I would get in my Jammie's however it's tv bingo night and Ann is coming over..we will try to win that $2,500 jackpot.

Ann had a few bad days..it was the anniversary of her MIL,s death, then Wedn the anniversary of Mike's death..she thought she would clean to get away from crying, well somehow and not sure how her dresser tipped over, broke the big mirror and did damage to the wall..said she had to take control of her feelings so sat down, had a tea and now looking forward to winning jackpot..poor thing!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9116097

Sooooooo glad you're Back, Marilyn - WB!! I can just Bet you're sore...
Also glad you didn't have to "live through it" as you were sedated.
Do you have packing in your mouth, and stitches? Are they the self-dissolving ones?
You'll have to be careful what you can eat, and also be careful of the temp - not hot or cold...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 8, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9116101

ooh poor Ann - It's a tough time for her, to be sure... Betty - you're a true friend to Ann. Bless you

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 9, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9116810

After SCADS of sleep .. I am up and mobile .. and, happy to say, pain free where the wisdom tooth came out.
I do have stitches (disolving) and my face is a bit puffy, but, all in all I am A OK .. thanks for all your well wishes.

Susan, sorry to hear of your friends passing ...

Betty .. are you $2500. richer ?

Sunny here today and warmer temps .. AND .. our first Hummingbird showed up last evening :-) We have had the feeder up for 3 days ..

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 9, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9116865

"M" glad you are none the worse for wear and tear..before you know it you'll be thinking now that was an easy fix..
lordy "M" don't know how the caller finds the numbers that we don't have to call..terrible/terrible cards..before bingo starts each week we pick what we will spend our dollars on..Ann is a walkway made of stone near her house, mine is riding lawnmower..that was last year and this year..does look like in the fall when the riders go on sale I'll buy my own..lol

which reminds me, they are coming to build a shed next week, should include as an extra a ramp so when I do buy one I'll have entry into the shed.

Possible rain today but Saturday and Sunday has light chance of rain and in the 60's..thank goodness because
the boys who come each year to celebrate Mom and do her 'to do' list will be working midnight oil..old shed has to come down, old gazebo has to come down, new gazebo up, some deck furniture to be put together and about 10 - 15 minute jobs..lol I'll treat them to chinese

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 9, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9117263

Betty - I suppose the old sheds aren't "saveable" to send to Habitat For Humanity's use?
Won't it be lovely to show off your new garden when the ladies come to your home at the end of June!!
I will really need to get used to Skype before then. I found that the only $$ needed to pay for is if you use a Land Line, not the computer. Computer skyping is free... That's as far as I've gotten. Now, to get a microphone... have speakers.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 9, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9117304

Susan, truly amazing around my neck of the woods, even things in almost perfect condition you can't get rid of unless you were to take down and deliver. Even Habitat for Humanity are very picky sooo demolished it will be.the new shed is only being built because as I age I'm in no mood to go out in 5' of snow and get rid of the snow from the metal roof so it doesn't cave in..not going to happen so time to replace now..just coincides with the gathering.

Get your Skype working girl!!! lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 9, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9117352

lol get my Skype working, eh? LOL Well, guess I'm just gonna have to do that... but first I need a Microphone!!

When I worked for HFH I had to schedule pickups and value the items sight-unseen. It was "interesting" to say the least. People weren't happy with us not picking up appliances older than 5 years, nor windows older than 10 years. But if we did (and the drivers had the last say cuz they were Seeing the items) we may just have had to pitch them in the dumpster. Some would "build up"their items when they phoned to sound better than they were just to get them taken away for free... and would toss garbage in with the good stuff - again, so save themselves the Dump fee... or because they don't have a vehicle to take it away.
Sometimes we'd come to work and find that garbage had been dumped at our loading dock because they thought we could sell it?!?!?! I've truly seen some pretty awful stuff being dumped off...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 9, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9117378

shed is in good shape..it's in the background

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 9, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9117384

How pretty is that? The "old shed" looks in great condition, but I can appreciate you not wanting to shovel snow off it in the winter!
OH, and that Garden... siiiiiiiigh would love to be there right now, sipping a cappaciano and reading a good book from my e-reader, enjoying the sunshine... :-) such pretty flowers!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 9, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9117915

Well it is all over - until the next time! Crossfingers it will be years not months!

Oncologist came to have chat after his nurse talked with him yesterday. He too thinks the abdominal issues re food related but just in case ordered some X-rays since it is 2 weeks until my CT scan. They also gave me a litre of fluid because I was getting dehydrated and if I continue not to be able to drink much am to call every week and go in and get some IV. Could have done that before but just did not think about it. She wanted him to look at my tongue in case I had developed a yeast infection. He looked and said it looked like a typical chemotherapy tongue!

Oddly enough my mouth is much better at the moment and I ate a decent supper - so I guess one of the drugs they give me - 5 altogether counting the chemo- has some effect and wish I could figure out which one it is!

Cold front is passing thru and there has been a bit of rain with more rain predicted for tomorrow. Did not get the potatoes in today, just puttered around between morning naps.My cleaner comes tomorrow and so it will be a laundry day =- time too!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 9, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9117943

well, nice to have the Chemo over with! I too hope it's Years, not months!
lol are you "typical" Carol?
Glad you were able to eat a decent meal - first time in many months... Would be nice if you Could tell them which one. Would they have an idea from others having mentioned it?

I heard it's supposed to be rain mixed with snow here - up to 5 cm...
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 9, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9117944

Carol
Super News!! My fingers and toes are crossed. Good thing too with gardening coming on strong shortly. You will be able to spend all the extra time you will now have outside instead of getting better.
Maybe stuff tastes bad when you are dehydrated? Anyway isn't it the way that stuff is all done and you have finally figured out what works best.
"M" you too sound more perky.
Susan , skype isn't all it's cracked up to be. Can be fun and a pain all at once.
Betty hope you find a taker for the shed.

Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 9, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9117950

Ann - about Skype - that's one reason I haven't been using it, cuz I didn't think it was "all it's cracked up to be", but I know a # of people who use it and are pleased with it. I suppose it all depends on your operating system, the amount of speed you can get on it and the quality of the mic and headphone. Also, other conflicting programs that would interfere would be problematic, too...

Anyway, going to try it, if only for the ability to see all the people at Betty's at the end of June :-)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 10, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9118137

Great news Carol .. and am hoping YEAR of NO CHEMO are involved :-)

I just learned how to SKYPE, and, how to make myself INVISIBLE if I have Skype turned on for one person and do not wish to interact with others on my list .. don't use it all that often though.

Woke up at 1am .. thoght the clock said 7am !!! Dang me, once I got everything back into perspective it took me til almost 3am to go back to sleep .. so .. I am up early today.
Vet day for Piper and Lilly .. shots and check ups ..

My jaw feels like someone slugged me .. and the extraction area is swollen .. been rinsing with warm salt water frequently, this too shall pass.

Peonies are up about 3" as is the Bleeding Heart .. sprinkled some of that Deer Scram on the Lilies in hopes of fending off hungry deer.
This year Hibiscus is Pale Yellow with a Scarlet red centre .. re potted it yesterday .. it'll only go out on warmwr days and in fulll sun ..

Nurses Week luncheon today .. I'll just go for a 'how dee doo' and a cup of warm tea .. strictly Cheerios or yogurt for me for a bit.

Take care all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 10, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9118373

I'm with "M" Carol, here's hoping it was the last of Chemo for you for forever!!!

Can't believe the weather you guys have..love to visit you all but sure will never move to your neck of the woods..I thought my winters/spring was bad enough..yikes you hardly get summer..lol

"M" even getting out to enjoy a few hours will make you feel better.

Alberta Ann, sorry, NO takers for the shed..thank goodness next week is big object pick up

Busy this morning..Trustee's coming in so got to get some files in order..
gab after..
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 10, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9118481

Of the food thing will continue for a while - just all; the 'extra' drugs, one of them has some depressive effect- I had a frozen Michalenas macaroni,beef and tomato which I love - sometimes make my own but never can find a receipe I really love. They use to service it in the cafeteria at Boston Childrens - back in the 60s this is and I aways loved it!

Had a good nights sleep - the drugs still affecting me. Dogs woke me at 6, put them out and feed, back to sleepl Bailey woke me at 7 and I told him to shut up for the next 5 minutes are so and he did ( or I just went back to sleep and couldn't hear him) and woke up again at 830! All quite. Could have gone back to sleep but my cleaner was coming at 9 so dragged myself out!

Sunny but cold, apparently the rain/snow mixed passed us by. Today will be laundry and naps and getting a memory box finished for a Toronto friend who is in town - she goes home Sunday so I better get on it today- I have the poem and dog pic ready and know the color scheme but just have not been able to push myself to finish it. I have another half done for a neighbor but at least there is not the same deadline there.

Maybe I might get the potatoes in but maybe not! There is always tomorrow!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 10, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9118798

yaaaaaaaay - snow passed us by!! (grin)

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 10, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9118925

Good to hear you had NO snow in Calgary .. we had awesome warm and sunny weather here ..

I SEEMED 'hell bent for election' this morning, but, petered out quite quickly .. in fact, I put what I had out for supper in the slowcooker .. then I actually LOOKED at the calendar and relaized the dogs go to the vet FRIDAY not today .. as everyone was out doing yardwork, I tucked myself back in bed for 2 hours!! Guess anesthetics and me do not mix ..

I did get some tomato seeds planted, and am curious as to how they'll come along. The seeds are in a 'disc' of fabric .. you plant the disc and see what happens (in a perfect world) .. I did 5 10" pots .. letcha know ..

Betty were I closer I'd take that shed in a heart beat .. gotta hate distance !!!

Off to swish some salt water ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 10, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9118962

Marilyn - glad you Started okay today... but you obviously need more rest.
Are you able to eat "normally" yet?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 10, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9118972

Had rice for supper .. have quite the 'cavern' where that wisdom tooth was .. so I'm being extra careful .. there's also a buncha sutures in there .. BLEAH !!!!

An adventure to be sure

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 10, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9119000

M anaesthetics can affect you for some time so do be careful to let your body rest/sleep the off.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 10, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9119002

Wish you did as well "M". Just hate to throw it away but oh well..

Gee whiz you've done great but I do think you've done more than you should.

It was a sunshine day here but the wind is strong enough to blow us away..wanted to burn in firepit today but no can do.

Stopped at the nursery on my way ome, my downfall. Lol. A larger type mock orange and a Japanese Kierie came home with me, got them planted, yikes Kierie has thorns just like roses, not like my other one, let out a big ouch, well maybe ouch wasn't the word...

Wonder what happened to Lindy?? Hope not sick

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 10, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9119011

Have any of you heard about the Abiquiu drinking gourd. Cup like leaf and blue?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 10, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9119046

nope, never have... will google it, though!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 10, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9119069

Meant to say it's a hosta

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 10, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9119096

It's beautiful, Betty! I especially love the blue tinged one!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 11, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9119464

I have wondered re Lindy as well .. as you say Betty, hope she's doing OK.

Very pretty Hosta .. I am trying hard to 'perennialize' the property .. the annuals here are an atrocious price ..
Have yet to go and look at/for the Nine barks .. and a Snowball bush. My BIG purchase this year will likely be a Colorado Blue Spruce to replace the Weeping Birch that died.
The trees in our area (over a 400 mile swath) became 'stressed' due to early warm temps in Feb/March, and then a deep freeze :-( as a result, most, if not all the Spruce, and some apple trees, are losing their foliage.
It will grow back, less full .. NEXT YEAR .. but .. to see them right now is almost painful .. brown or browning ... if I can find an article I'll send it along. Perhaps take a pic of some of the ones on the property ..

SO .. right now I feel I am going to be better than yesterday .. the dogs need to go to the vet .. and I have several things to accomplish in town with them along .. I'll drive and Lorna can babysit BOUNCING PIPER .. Lilly is quite sedate in the car.

TGIF ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 11, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9119858

"M" fruit growers in Collingwood/Meaford way say if lucky they will save 25% of their crops, rest damaged by extremely mild temps then heavy frost..Niagara region is also worrying, not sure how their grape crop will do.

Was in town for dr. Appointment early this mornimg and quick run to hospital..everywhere you go they have Mother's day baskets, shrubs and PerrenialsPreserv out..right now it's shrubs, all my baskets and p,angers I will wait until first week of June just incase but they are lovely to look at.

Did buy a blue cup gourd hosta, another lilac tree and 2 clematis..I do poorly. With clematis but I'm not giving up..yesterday got the larger mock orange that is highly scented and a Japanese Kerrie, has a few blooms already..gardening is not cheap is it!! Every week that is where my allowance goes.

Timbrr mart just delivered the fixings for back shed..young man Luc asked seeing as his mother and grandma are away could he come Sunday and start putting the shed together. Alright by me. Lol. My crew come tomorrow for the work day so Sunday it will give me something to do..

Had the work phones transferred to me at home at 11:30 so only missed 3 hrs. Shift finishes at 3:00 so I'll then be free to get the grass cut.

It's absolutely gorgeous here today..if only it will stay the same all weekend.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 11, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9120143

Doing the happy dance here..

Young Corey across the street wanted the shed..he came over this afternoon and took all screws from base and had it ready for when his friends spot off work. They used long timber they had delivered from Timbrr Mart underneath for support and carrying purposes and voila, Corey is as happy as can be, he now has a shed that will take little to fix..ME thrilled to see I didn't have to trash it and my BOYS I think they will be thrilled that it's one major thing on their list they will not have to do. Lol. So everyone is happy!!

Now if only I could have talked them into taking the gazebo..would have made my day..likely won't take long to take down tomorrow.

Cooked spaghetti sauce for tomorrow which means I'll have an easy day of it.

But tonight, rather tired

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 11, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9120158

yay, yay, yay to get your shed GONE, Betty!!!
I can well imagine that your Boys will be happy - one less thing to do!!
You could always send the Gazebo to me? Shipping wouldn't be that much... ROFL!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 11, 2012

Post #9120163

Would if I could Susan..

Don't you feel great when you accomplish a lot outside? But tired I am..bath calling
Hope you all had a bit of sunshine in your neighborhood today!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 12, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9121254

Whoosh .. quite the day ..
Have some pics of the trees I have been telling you are in a swath across about 4oo miles of NW Ontario .. the ones here are on our property .. we are certainly seeing the effects ..

Went to the cemetery and cleaned up my parents plot/headstone .. put down good topsoil and (fingers crossed) planted the Lavatera tapes .. if they come up too quickly and we catch a frost .. well .. I'll be disappointed to say the least.

Lorna got 4 acres cut today and Gord planted a rose bush and some SMALL blue spruce .. we will be getting a FULL sized Colorado Blue Spruce to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary (today) .. have to find the best tree and the best deal .. well over $150. !!
Not much of a celebration as I am still dealing with the extraction issue .. sutures are plain nasty !!

So .. one pic is of Piper sleeping in his bed in front of this years Hibiscus .. the other 2 pics show the browning trees .. needles are falling quickly :-(

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 12, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9121348

Happy anniversary "M".. What a great anniversary gift!! Sad to see so much damage..few years ago something hit the cedars..one neighbor lost about 8-20 ft's

Maybe you can celebrate next weekend and will be feeling better.

Had quite a day, sunshine for better part of the day then 40 drops of rain.

Everyone spent the day here helping mom/grandma do her list of chores..tin shed removed, now across the street at a neighbors, old gazebo the same, new gazebo up..some garden work done..

Jeff bought me additional screening for gazebo and Greg about 40 plants, mostly. Perennials.

Tomorrow morning they have about another hour of work and my list completely done.
We ate supper, now watching movies..doing the family thing..got to love get togethers

Young man from Timbrr mart comes at 8am providing is doesn't rain to start the shed

All and all a family day and a productive day..now why can't mothers day be more than once a year.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 12, 2012
11:20 PM

Post #9121698

Went to our friend Helen's memorial today - Bob & I were in the choir, and one of the previous choir member (also a friend of Peter & Helen's). Their daughter, SIL and gd got up and spoke about her. Our pastor did as well.
These were wonderful stories they told about her, from their perspective.
We all got memorial bulletins with a picture of her at about 19/20 or so. What a beauty! She was only 72 when she passed, this week...

I imagine it's going to be difficult for the family - "celebrating" mother's day tomorrow... and the "mother" of them all is away, in the Lord's home...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9121783

Hi folks,

I'm afraid I've been MIA of late, but have just done a skim.Susan, I'm sorry about your friend and 72 seems younger every year.

Been busy working in the garden when it's not raining and last week was occupied with the bells. We played in church a week ago and then participated in an evening concert, taking the bells to the other church about 3 and starting short rehearsals in that space at 4:30. Our season is now DONE except for one more session of taking them apart and polishing the bells - we did 26 bells last week, including the tiny, fiddly ones. Have 30 to do this week and we will be done except for our party.

Wishing a Happy Mothers' Day to all to whom it applies.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 13, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9121809

Happy Mother's day from me as well ..

Supposedly going to be 25C here today .. have the AC set to rock and roll. Expecting the family a bit later ..

Susan, sounds as though your friend had a nice service .. and, no, Mother's Day is not really as joyful as it should be when your own Mom is gone, but, she is never far from my thoughts ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 13, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9122184

Happy Mothers Day everyone

Got to say this weekend has far exceeded my Mother's Day wish..am sure my boys are glad it only comes once a year..NOT ONE THING went undone..thrilled to pieces..

While TimbrrMart Luc continues to work on the shed I will plant all the flowers I was given for mothers day.

My biggest pressie was having Ann come over, emotions boiling over as its Mike's 1st year death anniversary, had projects she wanted to do so that her day would go by, wanted instructions on use of the drill..Jeff my youngest went over and spent 2 hrs, put her shelves up, curtain rod and put together a cupboard.. You know you have done something right when they do such things.

Came home and finished the last of my chores and off to the city he went...

I telephoned Ann to invite her for supper, omg she was crying so much, said Jeff made her day..drats she had me crying..

Hope your day brought you as much joy..off to help shed man LUC who is a doll..said he will do a few more projects for me this week!

This message was edited May 13, 2012 5:00 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 13, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9122208

hmmmmmm Betty - Luc is a "doll" eh? hmmmmmmmm lol

Happy Mother's Day to all. I think our pastor said it best when he lit a candle for all the mothers on earth, and another one for all the mothers in Heaven...

All the ladies at the church (including yours truly) got a long stem red rose this morning.(with the little 'water bottle' on the end of the stem.
I just got off the phone with my mom :-)
My daughter sent me an email picture of a nursing dog - with 4 Kittens! LOL She knew I'd be at church today, so she'll call later she said.

I need to go - cya later

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 13, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9122376

Ahhhhhhhhhhh .. life has settled down to a dull roar LoL
Actually, the wind here today was gusting up to 70kph .. couldn't really sit outside .

Betty, Jeff is wonderful .. Ann must be so pleased and you so proud, sometimes our kids do do suprisingly amazing things ..

Flowers and bird feeders were the order of the day as gifts and I am so pleased .. actually, just seeing everyone would have been enough for me.

OK .. question .. there is a beautiful wee white flower growing in the ditches out this way .. has a yellow centre .. looks like a Daisy crossed with an aster .. someone (thanks Brenda) has suggested 'blood root' .. I am attaching 2 pics for your consideration ..
I know for sure it isn't Trillium or wild strawberry.

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 13, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9122381

I couldn't really see the leaves on your flower, Marilyn, but here is a picture of the Bloodroot, for your comparison.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 13, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9122488

"M" from the photo that Susan posted not sure it's blood root, entirely different leaf from the looks of it could be wrong!

Omg think I'm dying from the coughing/hacking..should have gone to town for cough syrop..anybody want what some call 100 day cough, willing to share..

Was in the 20's today, no wind..perfect outdoor working weather..

Ann came for supper, was dealing with the day just a bit better now that her to do chores were done by Jeff lol

Tub filling, hot bath will do wonders..as my mind is full of thoughts/plans and ideas i think i shall take something to help me sleep and maybe numb the coughing..

didn't quite finish the pond, tomorrow is another day.
Night night

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 13, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9122795

I wasn't really able to see the leaves on Marilyn's pic - thought some looked like grass, or leaves of other plants.
Only Marilyn knows for sure lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 14, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9122917

Well .. since it was a flower in a ditch, and I didn't want to entice either tic nor spider to my bare legs .. I'm not sure what the leaf looked like .. but a FBook friend from here bouts is in agreement re it being 'blood root' .. if we're out where they are today, I'll pick one .. they sure are pretty .. so delicate ..

Aww Betty .. that coughing is just such a pain !!! Quick story here .. on our local news channel, the 'weather woman', Fiona, is prone to coughing fits .. whenever I watch her giving the weather, my heart is still just in case she has one .. always a draw back to live TV ..
Have you been prescribed a blood pressure medication? Some of them will cause an irritating dry cough.

Beauty day here .. flowers to plant :-)

Enjoy your week

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 14, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9123079

I'm printing up my resume (5 copies) now, to take with us to the job fair - Bob already has his :-)

We have a tow truck company coming to bring Bob's truck 400 ft to our place so Richard can look at it and determine what's wrong.

Cya all later.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 14, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9123162

Best of luck Susan, here's hoping that one of you if not both of you will get hired on..

"M" don't blame you for not going in to pick one, poison ivy could be lurking around.. how are you feeling? able to start eating regular foods?

Luc from Home Depot..started at 8am - finished 5pm
got a lot accomplished..

last photo doesn't have roof on it, but before he left room was on it..now for trim/doors and shingles

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 14, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9123563

WOW Betty .. very nice shed :-)

Susan .. good luck with the truck ..

26C here .. just took a pic of Smokey, and how HE beats the heat .. Enjoy >>>> I can see ya smiling ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 14, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9123584

Betty - good crew you have there! Nice that Cory took the gazebo, too!!!!

Bob's truck is now at home - we couldn't reach the tow truck driver that's our neighbour, so we called a company and they only charged $42 for the hookup and deliver. Guess that's because it only needed to go 500 ft LOL
1 1/2 hours later, our neighbour/tow drive driver called us and it was done by then...
Now, to wait for Richard to get home to find out what's wrong...

Job Fair was so-so. Not all even took resumes, and mostly it was "go to our website and apply" for the City. Two other companies took Bob's and my resumes (two each, that is). Handyman Connection took Bob's :-)

Bob the enabler, when all I needed was black embroidery thread, got me to purchase some quilt cotton remnants! He loves to window shop and get stuff for me LOL This was at FabricLand and I love their stuff, but they didn't have much embroidery floss, so ended up with chocolate brown, not black... 5 for $1.00 so got 5 LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 14, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9123591

Now don't these kitties know how to relax..lol

Speaking of kitties, my Riley leaves Friday's and doesn't come back till Monday morning..thing he cottages with someone else lol this has been going on for 2 years..starts in spring and goes till fall, either that or he gets locked in somewhere where there is a business and it closes Friday and opens Monday..

Hated to come back in after lunch - it's in the mid 20's here which means I might get a few hours of garden time in.Now we get to play catch-up from the bad weather.

Viola Ann, shaking my head ..you accomplishso much! When do you rest? is there a season you get to simply sit and enjoy your gardens?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 14, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9123596

I was at Fabricland on Thursday, bought some outdoor fabric for a metal bench I was covering the seat for, think I have enough left for 2 pillows..everything if you were a member was 50% off..could have bought mega fabric but think I'd best use up what I have before purchasing more!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 14, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9123600

I love the combination of the black/white kitty against that ever-so-beautiful fabric. Wonderful contrast!

It's supposed to be 28 tomorrow... yikes!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 14, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9123610

I finally found Warm & Natural - what a lovely quilt batt!! Too rich for my blood right now. $30/m reduced to $15/m...
I promise, the next time I buy batting, I will get Warm & Natural
I found the Perfect batik for my Madam Butterfly quilt, and several people (Bob included) were trying to find the perfect Butterfly fabric for it. Good thing it wasn't burgundy with butterflies, or I might have been sorely tempted...
Not going to be making that quilt until Nov/Dec (Maybe) so not going to add to my "stash" until then!!
I Did get some black fabric with beautiful white butterflies on it - remnant - so have over a meter of it, PLUS green/gold remnant, and gold with red patterning on it remnant (very delicate red scrolling).

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 14, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9123624

I'll have to see if I have anything with butterflies that I could send your way..
Yes, Warm and Natural is wonderful to quilt with but wow expensive.

Corey wasn't too excited about getting the gazebo along with the metal shed but his girlfriend wanted it so I dropped it off, when I saw him, told him if he didn't want it to let me know and I'd dismantle it..wouldn't take much to do so! He thought it might fit on his deck which is 12'x28', gazebo is 10 x 12 so should be able to anchor it there and have some shade.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 14, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9123701

oh oh...well, Corey HAD to go with what his gf wanted, of Course lol Sounds awfully large for his deck...well, maybe not - 12' off of 28' still leaves 16'. don't imagine he would put the 12' on the 12' side of his deck - would be Very tight to do so.

Here's the butterfly fabric, and the gold & green I got today.
I like rich jewel tones of fabric, so the black & white butterfly is great! Nice contrasting type for other colours!
The green is more of a Christmas-y colour than what shows here (with gold as the pattern).
I really like these colours - next to Burgundy of course LOL

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 14, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9123734

Nice Susan! Will look in mne when I get a chance!

Actually is not like the square footage is lost, just means he would have shade.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 14, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9123753

I can appreciate Corey wanting sunshine lol
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 14, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9124212

Another lovely day here - about 20 C and supposed to be warmer tomorrow then rain for a day or two. Shelly, one of our foster moms came over this morning to help in the garden. We got the potatoes and the lily bulbs planted and most of the front yard cleaned up. Not much left for me to do except the two front house beds and I am thinking of a revamp there so they will look messy for a while. My other garden helper also runs a small business as a consultant/designer so we are going to discuss these two beds ( which have always been a problem for me) when she comes over next week. I am thinking of removing most of the perennials and putting in a variety of interesting evergreens.

City sewer folks came by this morning to check my sewer- had a couple of burps' recently when emptying the washer but the main sewer line was clear except a bit of tree root right at the end which would be almost at the street. However because it is the old original clay pipes which bend and get very rough inside and my property slopes they recommended doing a video ( did one about 10 years ago) We do know there is a bend in the pipe about 4 feet out in front of the house and I keep my fingers crossed it does not break as it would mean trenching all the way thru my front yard on one side. Lots of bucks too!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 14, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9124256

Yikes Carol - that would be Lots of bucks, for sure! Too bad it wasn't on the City property, cuz then they'd be the ones to pay... :-(

So nice to have so many helpers to keep your lovely garden going, eh?

As I post this, it's still 18c, but feels cooler. I have 4 ferns (indoor ones) on my patio table, and need to leave them there overnight - I'm sure they'll be fine. If not, well...someone at the church threw them out in the garbage (why, I don't know - two of them were only 6 months old...) and I found them and rescued them. I've just soaked them and hope this revives them enough... if not, then they were going to be thrown out anyway...
It's supposed to be 27c tomorrow (81F!! wow!!)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 15, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9124974

Carol, ohhh never thought about the cost of doing upgrades or repairs from property to roadside..I have quite a distance should something happen..drats, always something isn't there.

So glad you are nearing the end of the flower beds, great having friends help. Maybe that is my solution, call all my friends and have a garden day, each can take a bed and weed, wonder if they would go for that.

So much work involved when you have a lot of gardens..won't be that many years before I think of planting grass just like my kids say.

Nice weather you are all having..Right now it's about 68 and everyone out on the street is wearing shorts..what a day to be home playing!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 15, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9125065

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr, and, WHOOSH .. did any of you living in the east se Dorothy and Toto fly by yet.
What a difference a day can make~~ yesterday was brilliant and warm, today it's chilly with incredible winds.
Watched a lady open her car door in a parking lot, only to have the wind grab it and send it smashing into the car next to her .. she was nice enough to leave her info on the car she accidentally damaged .. wonder if the wind blew it away ..

Lorna had a complete wchair check and repair today. She's quite happy as we're going to camp next week .. hope to catch some fish !!
This camp is apparently totally handicap accessible .. we'll see ..

Love the pics of pussers and fabric swatches .. ^_^ but, hate to hear about sewer problems .. I know that can be expensive!
Our septic field replacement several years ago was 10 thousand dollars ~~~~~~ hope we never have to do THAT again ..

So .. off to make supper ..

Toodles

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 15, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9125195

Got a call yesterday afternoon to come see the oncologist today=- not good news, apparently my tummy problems are not all food related, there is a partial blockage in my small intestine showing on the X-ray - will get better definition when the CT is done next week. So as of today I am on another chemo drug - pills this time, 3 pills twice a day for next two weeks . Lots of horrid side effects ( but no mention of bad taste so maybe that will start to improve) which of course may not happen! Surgery not an option at this point apparently.

So after I went to the day care for some hydration as I am still not drinking enough, poor nurses - took 5 pokes to find a vein. The rule now is two unsuccessful pokes and another nurse tries - so this took 3 nurses over about an hour! At my suggestion they locked the IV and left in place as I go back Thurs and Friday for more hydration and hope the IV lasts that long. Probably again next week.

I had planned to go out to a garden centre not far from the hospital but didnt finish all this until midday and then had to stop and get pills and talk with pharmacist so by that time I was too tired so I went home and slept! Poor dogs were stuck in the house all morning, good thing even at their age they all have great bladder control! Bailey and Abby get groomed tomorrow- she comes to the house and sets up in the back porch. She has been grooming Bailey since he was 2 years old.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 15, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9125229

Sorry to hear your not so good news Carol .. I hear ya on the IV starts .. have been on the nurses side and the patient side, neither is good :-(
Has a PICC line or Hickman line ever been mentioned .. I apologize as i feel you may have already told me there was a reason why they aren't using one or the other.
I wish you all the best with the meds ..
Dogs do have good bladders :-) kind of amazing after what we go through with them as puppies.

Off to put drops in Piper's ear (CALAMITY TIME)

Stay well all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 15, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9125234

Oh Carol, big armwraps!! There was to be only good news from here on in..thought we prayed for it to be. How overwhelming it must be for you , you are indeed a brave woman..
Just don't know what to say...

"M" are you going to camp as well? Should be fun if black flies and skitters don't get you.

Don't send bad weather my way.

Luc from Timbrr mart was here when I got home, trim is on new shed, he is trying to beat the clock to finish the roof shingles before he leaves..then has to come back to install the doors and hardware.

Can feel rain coming in so he suggested I put all my belongings that I tapped back in the shed..did, one more to do done but I'm tired.

Carol, you were just talking about sewer problems, got home, no water..township men up about 4 houses..did some repair to water main then flushed the system..thankfully I've now got water..doing happy dance because just before leaving work today had such a coughing jag that I ended up vomiting all over myself..not nice smelling so excited about being able to take a bath..must wait though as Ann is coming over for tv bingo

To end the day as well my sister called me at work to tell me mom was in the hospital, she is unsteady on her feet, can barely walk and what does she do but carry dog downstairs, fell a flight and a half, broke her arm, nose. Her dentures cut her upper palet, did something to her back..my mil also is in emerge. Oh what a day!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 15, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9125304

Carol & Betty - What a day you've both had!!
A blockage in your small intestine - is there surgery to fix that? My cousin's MIL had a piece of hers removed, because of blockage, but she's much older than you are, so maybe she couldn't take the wait that meds entailed... How much water do they need you to drink?

Betty - are you and Carol related? having the City fix the water pipes before you even knew you had trouble means others were having lack of water issues.
Sounds like your cough is worse than I thought, if you're throwing up with the violence of the cough... I know your Dr said 6 weeks. How long has it been? Couldn't you have a shower before Ann comes over?
Your poor mom - I know she shouldn't have been carrying the dog (silly woman!) but still, that's quite the fall - everyone must be so worried, she's so frail...

Marilyn - how exciting - Camping!! I don't know if we'll be able to go this year - $$ is tight.
I really hope the "wchair accessibility" is as good as Lorna needs.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 15, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9125323

Quick update..my mom is home, broken arm,nose, cut palet, black and blue, did something to her back so not mobile..my MIL is in intensive care, I would stay home tomorrow but Suzanne is spending the night at the hospital so won't be in..somebody has to man the office.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 15, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9125388

Glad to hear your mom is home - she must look in some state - all black & blue... talking funny cuz of the cut palet, etc.
When Bob smashed up his face (2004) I took a picture, to show him how he shouldn't be out and about when on major codeine. He'd gotten all his teeth pulled and dentures put in same morning. I went to work, and left him with food by his side, on the couch - he went for a drive to see a friend at work, and when out walking around the truck, passed out - boy was HE black/blue, and broke new dentures... cut lip, etc - imagine your mom looks Just As Pretty...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 16, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9125606

Morning, rained last night and drizzling ever so lightly but could have thunder storms later today, am sure it will do wonders for the the seeds and plants I just put in. Was out in the rain as Wednesday is big container pick-up at the restaurant next door and I had quite a bit of garbage that I did not want to put back in the shed last night, gave me the opportunity to rid myself of more..looked around the years and not ne item where it shouldn't be. Now if I can do same for craft room and storage room downstairs.. Will wait for a rainy weekend to attack those rooms. Not sure what they are calling for in your area for this long weekend but here it's suppose to be top notch weather...here is hoping they are right.

Mary, seems the last week of July kind of takes in just a few days of July..might go directly to New Orleans vs other stops which might bring us closer to a day we can meet up.id hate to be so close and not get to hug.

Suzanne called me about midnight, my MIL was holding her own so she was on her way home after a long day. Not sure if she will be in the office today but if I knew it was a guarantee that she would be I would stay home.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 16, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9125608

Pressed wrong button..

Susan, I'm sure she is a mess..I should be ashamed of myself, gave her the what for when I spoke to her..what is she thinking to rich full speed ahead carrying a dog that weighs almost as much as she??? Will call her this morning and be a bit more 'gentle'!

Poor Bob, not only black and blue but cost of new dentures..

Time to get ready

Waving to all, said prayers for those in need.

Reminds me, must call Ann, 1st anniversary date and will be a hard day..she and the girls are meeting up in Barrie .

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 16, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9125631

YIKES ... newsy thread this morning, and pretty much none of it 'good news'
T&P for your Mom and MiL Betty ..
Dogs and people .. guess your Mom felt the animal needed carrying .. I've been up since 2am !! Piper has/had diarrhea !! He had 'worm meds' yesterday .. must have upset him .. Gord was bathing him at 5 this morning, and I was trying to clean up .. sure hope it has stopped. Note to self .. NEXT YEAR instead of 2 pills together, will give them a day apart !! Will tell the vet that as well ..

Physio today .. then that'll be it for a week.

Both Lorna and I are going to the 'camp' .. we have our own cabin on the lakeshore .. the cabins are all geared to persons with disabilities .. so .. the bathrooms are roomy and there are ramps etc. We can go fishing on one of the Pontoon boats as well .. so .. it should be a good respite .. if it turns out well we will rebook for July and August.

Off n running

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 16, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9125684

Morning all, chilly one at that, what happened to the last three days of warm temps...brrr should have worn a jacket.

Sorry to hear Piper didn't take well to the meds..not a nice thing to have to clean first thing in the a.m. Sounds as though you are really looking forward to camp..how far of a drive do you have?? Hoping the weather warms out for you, best bring some 'woolies'

What is so aggravating to me and I know it's not nice but because the dog was diagnosed with cancer the dog is never allowed out of her arms from morning to night, even when she sleeps he's all wrapped up in bed with her..a bit much if you ask me..she is frail, falls at the best of times, not steady on her feet, losing weight like crazy due to worrying about the dog, dog is almost as big as she and there she goes carrying him down two sets of stairs..shaking my head!

I gave her the what for last night so this morning I'll call and try and be 'gentle' with her..know it was an accident but there are accidents after accidents almost every week and she will end up dead before the dog..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 16, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9126058

Marilyn - poor Piper - sure the tummy was terribly upset...
Betty - no cost of new dentures - can't remember why but think they were "insured" somehow?!?!
I think your mom deserved the first shot, and I agree - time to be gentle the 2nd time. The first one came from you being scared it could have been more serious. Heck, it was serious enough!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 16, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9126158

Susan, Didn't have to be gentle, Jim (step father) stayed home and will do so all week..she is heavily sedated and both times I called was sleeping.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 16, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9126246

Glad Jim is there for this week, anyway. What did he have to say to her about her carrying that heavy cat downstairs?
Sorta glad she's heavily sedated - means she won't be getting up and doing foolish things, for awhile anyway.
hmmmmmm couldn't Jim take this time to put her ill, old, cancer-ridden cat down? And speaking of which - how did the cat fare in the fall? I know they say they have "9 lives" but he's so old and sick...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 16, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9126387

Not a cat Susan, it's her snauzzer Rocky...didn't ask..reminds me I should give her a call before I call it a night!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 16, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9126681

ooooops ok - dog it is :-)
I suppose your mom'll still be sleeping?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 17, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9126897

Another 'busy night' with Piper .. not quite as bad, but stilll, the poor wee fella is (forgive the pun) 'pooped;!!

Hope your Mom is recovering Betty ..

Off to the lab with Lorna for bloodwork .. then the border to pick up a parcel ..

Re the 'camp/resort/ we are going to, it's just an hour away ..southwest on Lake Shebandowan.

Am currently having an 'email sparring' match with Tim Hortons :-( FOUR times in the last 2 weeks at 2 different locations, I have been given coffee as opposed to tea .. I don't touch coffee .. by the time I realize the error .. it's impossible to go back to the franchise. Very annoying ..

Best get my tail feathers prepped and ready to go :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 17, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9127278

"M" lol you give it to them gal!!!

Mom is taking her meds, not moving around and in pain. Here's a photo my sister took but said it's much worse than what the photo shows..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 17, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9127320

Betty , yikes she sure shows her tumble. Will be sore for a bit I would bet.

Carol have you been out and about ? new meds fiddling with your tastebuds? I have been given a Fern Leaf peony by my friend! I will look at the tag again but it is a double red one. I have to read up on exactly where to plant.
I will post a photo when i get home.
Sun has been out for a bit here and weather man says clouds this pm. Had a bit of rain last night but not enough. With the long weekend coming I would bet the rain will be during Sat or Sunday.

Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 17, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9127331

OOOOH Alberta Ann, I so want one, I put adds all over ..Craigslist/Kijiji, checked with nurseries (none carry it because they say they are too expensive) couldn't even order one..lucky you..I'm so envious!!!

Look forward to seeing it..double red would be spectacular...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 17, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9127474

Betty check Parkland Perennials - I think they have roots for about $40.00 probably your best bet. You will not get the roots until fall.

Ann taste is the same, that does not seem to be an issue with this drug. However diarhea and nausea and vomiting are and my doc wants me to take as little Immodium as possible- so you know what will happen! I am having some nausea but can control that, mostly just feeling very weak and fatiqued.

Had hydration this morning, one more tomorrow, and went to Sunnyside afterwards and bought a fewplants but really had to drag myself around!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 17, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9127532

Sorry to hear you're SO under the weather, Carol - darn meds do so much good, and yet so much discomfort...

What pretties did you get at Sunnyside?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 17, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9127545

Thanks Carol, will check Parkland Nurseries and see when they take orders. thanks for the. Fo..am sure they mail to Ontario

sorry to hear you aren't dong well, know you likely are fed up with resting but your body is telling you it is a must! Nothing worse than feeling nauseated.

Trying to decide if I have energy to go spend 2 hrs cutting grass or simply having a bath and relaxing?? Should flip a coin

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 18, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9128042

TGIF .. + LONG WEEKEND!!

Re the fern leaved peony .. I still haven't looked here in TBay .. but I do plan to .. just gorgeous ..

Betty .. oh my, your Mom is going to take a bit of time to recover from that fall .. her heart was in the right place, but, it seems she had her priorities a bit scrambled.
My Mom once got out of my car (in the 80s) it was a sports car .. 2 door .. very heavy doors .. her door fell back onto her (I didn't see it) .. and .. she said nadda .. turns out she broke a rib and had substantial bruising .. she certainly put up with a few weeks of pain.

Went to the border yesterday .. had almost forgotten I had some packages .. a dress, a pantsuit and 2 tops .. ALL in differing shades of PINK !!

Picking up my grandson for the day this morning .. it's a PD day and my son and his wife are working and big sis Brooklyn is involved in a sporting event .. he's 11 and could stay alone, but I prefer he be 'engaged' even if it is only grocery shopping with us and going for breakfast.
am attaching a pic of him and our son Murray (Austin's Dad) and the instructor from the rifle club Austin shoots at every Wednesday .. he came in third from a field of 15 .. they learn proper firearm handling, safety and respect .. gotta love his shoe laces !!!

BEst get myself ready

TTFN

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 18, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9128099

"m" Austin is adorable, and yes great that they learn respect of guns and proper safety of use..both Noah and Kyle got their permit and are learning use. I still don't like it though. Lol. Enjoy your day with Austin

Ohh some pretties in pink, you'll blend in when in the gardens.

If by chance you come across a source for peony ferns in Ontario, can you let me know??until we get one the girls will have to post photos of theirs growing and blooming!

Mom and Jim were to go to the cottage today for a week..Jim wanted all the outdoor work behind him but likely they will not be able to go.

Working from home today so can put laptop and telephone outside. Under gazebo and work some gardens..overcast right now, had sunshine a few minutes ago so hooe it comes back out as I'm in gardening garb

4 days to play and a trip to Racetrack Saturday evening should make me good and tired by Monday night..wrote a to do list and if I get to cross everything off I'll do the happy dance. My family are heading camping with about 30 others in Sable Beach and will leave this morning..grandma Betty gets to mind the monstrous dogs. So fun weekend for all, way it should be!!

I want weedless gardens and topsoil added with some nutrition, shed stained, window inserts cut and base coated ready to paint design, secondary pond leveled and water falls unit set in..anything extra would be a bonus.

Now what do you all have planned, something more exciting than what I'm up to!
Hope it's sunshine and warm temps in your neighborhood
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 18, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9128370

Betty you could check thru the Canadian suppliers on the Cdn Peony Society web site (http://www.peony.ca/e_html/home.htm) to check for availability and prices - these would all ship in the fall.

Dont forget it is Fernleaf Peony ( Not peony fern) and proper name is Peony tenuifolia.

I think Parkland is best bet for good price. and you can place an order any time now. They were selling for $75 at SUnnyside yesterday and that is typical.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 18, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9128447

wow - what a price for a Fernleaf Peony! Well, if it's what you want, it's worth it, right ladies? (VBGrin)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 18, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9128496

Oh Carol now I'm confused, which one were we talking about getting!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 18, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9128499

siiiiiiiigh well, just found out that Bob's benefits are done...
At least he's doing some work for friends. He's over at Kay's house, finishing the skirting on her mobile, then will do roofs and windows. He's also going to paint her skirting, as it's new material.
I got a call from an agency that found my resume on Monster.ca (job search website), and I have been getting a few "hits" and calls from it. No one's calling me in for an interview though...
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 18, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9128609

Hi Guys
Cute grandson!

I finally read the tag and it says " Japanese fernleaf peony, with a size of 16"x24" so it maybe the dwarf one? It also said double. It is in a one gallon pot and was a gift so I don't know what it cost. Yes I consider myself very lucky to have such generous friends!
Carol, I rmember yours being taller , I think. We will see how well it does in my yard, I will plan carefuly and will be double checking to make sure it goes in the right spot.

We seem to be having the clouds break up this afternoon and the sun is trying to get through so maybe the weekend is looking up after all.
Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 18, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9128615

Betty you said Peony fern so I wanted to be sure you got the name right.

Ann mine is about 24 inches tall.

This message was edited May 18, 2012 12:02 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 18, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9128618

I'll have to see what the difference in the two are..off to town

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 19, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9129310

Went to 2 Greenhouses yesterday, both just smiled and replied in the negative as to whether or not they sold 'Fern leafed peonies' .. both said they were far too expensive, BUT .. were I wanting to order one, they might be able to help me out.
I chose a Amber Jubilee Nine Bark instead, and, as my grandson is a HUGE fan of roses, I bought him a beautiful rose bush that he'll plant with his parents.

'Bugs Bugs Bugs, if I had them all in JUGS, I'd dig dig dig a BIG BIG hole, and bury up them bugs"!!!
I used to sing that little song to my son when we were camping and the flies were bad .. WELL .. I;m now singing it to the dogs and my grandson, because the BLACK FLIES are horrendous !!!!
They can sure ruin a perfectly nice afternoon outside ...
Have Gord getting some WATKINS bug lotion .. it works very well .. only available at our 'country market' on Saturday mornings.

Trying to tie up loose ends before BLAST OFF to camp on Monday around 1pm .. check in time is 2pm .. this is certainly going to be an adventure .. will have my BlackBerry with me so will post off and on as I can ..

Off to make some tea ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 19, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9129327

Get about the same response here a the nurseries "M"!

Not many bugs out here as yet, skitters likely soon, now that I've said this I'm just waiting for 8:30 for the dampness to lift and out to paint the shed I just had put up, watch them eat me alive.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time at camp and will make it a yearly trip. Lol at the blackberry, should tell you lke they do the kids, no electronics, now wouldn't that be something..they would have few visitors.

Sunshine day high 70 to low 80 so grat day to be outside..going with Darlene at 4:30 to Georgian downs for supper and slots/races..they will not get a lot of my $$ not a gambler, saving it for nurseries...

Time to get my tools together
Back on a break

Enjoy the sunshine everyone!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 19, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9129538

LoL Betty ..
Lorna's were at Georgian Downs yesterday .. didn't win
Her Dad is a real better, have a bet going with him for the Preakness today .. I have picked a horse called 'Went the Day well' .. a whole TOONIE LoL (last of the bigtime spenders huh?) He has picked "I'll have ANother" .. he won the Kentucky Derby ..

Off to plant the Amber Jubilee .. will have a pic maybe :-)
Depends on the bugs ~~~

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 19, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9130099

Ahh woulnt it have been nice to have met up with them had we been there same day!

Not a gambler, kept it to $2.00 bets for horses and lost $25.00 on slots, then buffet which was spectacular seeing as we had tables on inside facing the track.

Darlene has a mustang convertible, we left an hour earlier than need be and did a run to Georgian Downs taking all the back roads, nice in the heat of the day! Boy the police were out in droves looking for party'ers

Managed to stain front and I side of shed except the trim..tomorrow morning I'll do other side and start the trim. Big job but Ned's to be done!

Falling asleep so calling it a day
Night/night

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 19, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9130123

Marilyn busy planting, and Betty busy staining the shed - looking for pictures from both of you...
Betty - did you have to lose any plants over the shed being taken out/put in?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 20, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9130234

BIG thunder and lightning storm here overnight. Poor Piper .. he wants to be held when they pass through .. Lilly really doesn't seem to care one way or the other ..
Temps of 28C yesterday .. today MAYBE 18C

Got the Nine Bark planted and did take pics, just have to download them .. looks nice .. won't see it's full beauty till next year though.
Irises are opening, Bleeding heart is blooming .. just a little watering and things start to flourish.

Lorna's Dads horse won the Preakness .. far as i know, the one I chose is still running LoL
Sounds as though you had an awesome time yesterday Betty.

Still trying to 'get it all together' for tomorrow .. good thing I have an SUV !!!

Off to make tea

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 20, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9130277

Mornimg, sunshine,sunshine,sunshine..suppose to be mid 80's today..with Greg and family in Sable Beach for the weekend grandma is doing the dog sitting thing, running over to let out and feed the doggies...that is behind me for the morning

Watered the gardens, everything is so dry..if we soon don't get rain grass will be hay.

Wish my neighbors were early risers, I'd have the lawnmower going but have to wait, so back to stain more of the shed..won't be long and I can start the white trim

"M" so you lost $2.00. Lol. Last of the big time gamblers we are..sure hooe your week is all you both want it to be!

Carol, how are you feeling today?

While I was betting I'm thinking there goes a lilac tree, there goes a snowball tree. Lol. How sad is that!

Susan, a dappled willow got the worse of things..likely will come back but not this year..what can you do

Well, here is hoping you all have sunshine in your neck of the woods

Better get a iMovie on or the couch will zap all of what is left of my energy

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9130972

HI folks,

Too hot to work outside. I did a bit - washed my car and put the hose on part of the garden. Still 30 degrees at 7:30. And I was gonna do stuff.

Been MIA for awhile. Had a bunch of things to do last week and will be busy this week before I head to Rochester for the International Viola Congress on the 29th.

Carol - I hope you don't have to be on the med that doesn't agree with you well for too long.

Betty I'm sorry about your mother's fall. I hope her recuperation is smooth.

I think I'm gonna head to the basement and stuff CVS Journals into envelopes. I'm trying to determine how many people are going to the Congress and I'll just take them instead of mailing, but they are slow at responding to messages. And I might practice a bit downstairs. Sure need to do that. Have a friend who wants me to play at her wedding but it's waiting on his divorce to come through. But it could come through soon now and they are going to city hall. It will have to be unaccompanied; so no piano to hide behind.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 20, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9130996

That is quite an honor Viola Ann..I'm sure there is no need to hide behind a piano!

Not sure about your grass but after no rain and the heat a lot of my grass needs tending to, burning already!

Your trip to Rocester takes you how long? Where do you cross over?

Basements are always cool..have portable air system, might connect it tomorrow if they show same heat for the week.

Got to tell you, I sure put in 3 long days outside..actually I was filling a pond and it seemed to take forever..put my head on the settee and dozed..thought it was 12:30 or so, checked the clock when I woke, just after 2 so must have dozed longer than I thought I did.

Might do a bit of weeding in the am and white trim at least on the front of the shed then sit..actually looking forward to rest at work Tuesday!

Isn't that sad

" m" you packed! Bet you are both as anxious as little kids

Carol, sure hope you are fine and just busy and not I'll

Susan, get those cushions done

Lindy, wondering I'd you are ok?
Waving to all others

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 20, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9130997

That is quite an honor Viola Ann..I'm sure there is no need to hide behind a piano!

Not sure about your grass but after no rain and the heat a lot of my grass needs tending to, burning already!

Your trip to Rocester takes you how long? Where do you cross over?

Basements are always cool..have portable air system, might connect it tomorrow if they show same heat for the week.

Got to tell you, I sure put in 3 long days outside..actually I was filling a pond and it seemed to take forever..put my head on the settee and dozed..thought it was 12:30 or so, checked the clock when I woke, just after 2 so must have dozed longer than I thought I did.

Might do a bit of weeding in the am and white trim at least on the front of the shed then sit..actually looking forward to rest at work Tuesday!

Isn't that sad

" m" you packed! Bet you are both as anxious as little kids

Carol, sure hope you are fine and just busy and not I'll

Susan, get those cushions done

Lindy, wondering I'd you are ok?
Waving to all others

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 20, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9131057

Wow Marilyn & ViolaAnn - Hot, Hot, Hot!! 28c & 30c... yikers - no wonder gardens need extra waterings!!

ViolaAnn - how lovely to play at a wedding! (and no backup piano?!?!)

Betty - I took 12 foam pieces and 12 pieces of fabric cut to wrap around them, to handsew these cushions at church. One of the church ladies offered to help me - turns out she wanted to bring them home, and do most of the work on her serger!! She is a seamstress, so has the equipment - I was thrilled! I don't have a serger, so I guess it will work better? No idea, but I'm confident about it. I will take more next week, and she says she'll do them, too!!
Sorry you lost one of your dappled willows

~M~ nice you got your Nine Bark planted - still want to see pics of this tree/shrub? I've never seen one before...

Carol - how are you today? Eating well, I hope...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 20, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9131297

Not good folks. Still not able to eat or drink although I am trying crystlelight and that is going down a bit better, food is still yucky!

But with this new med which supposedly I t ake for two weeks I am really miserable.- diarhhea although not too bad nausea, not much vomiting but mainly just fatique and weakness. So mainly I am just lying around! I will call my nurse on Tuesday and let her know what is going on. Too bad it is a long weekend but I am not so bad I want to call the oncologist on call.

Nice weather to have been out in the garden but it is impossible at the moment.

MY neighbor Marie came by this evening and washed the sinkful of dirty dishes. We have a system where I leave the porch door unlocked and the inner house door locked if I am lying down and there is a key hidden in the porch which 2-3 of my neighbors know about so if they need to get into the house or if I need to call for some help they can get in.

Off to bed now!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 20, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9131357

Carol - so sorry you're feeling so Yucky! You're just having crystlelight? That's only a drink. I hope you're saying that food is yucky, but that you're still eating? I hope your nurse can help with something so you feel like eating, and not so miserable!!!
Sorry you can't be enjoying this lovely weather we're having (supposed to rain on Wed), but I can understand that you just want to rest. Suppose that's best for you when you're feeling so miserable.
You have Great neighbours!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 21, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9131496

Up and at'em .. seems we have lists everywhere .. now we just have to PACK THE VEHICLE !!! Ought to be somewhat of a 'Magicians trick'.

Furnace was on last night, so, our heat has gone and more seasonable temps are expected .. bringing 3 or 4 card games along with us just in case.

Carol .. have you tried any of the 'electrolyte' types of drinks .. I think pedialyte comes in flavours ..

ViAnn .. I know you'll do well at the wedding .. and safe travels to Rochester.

Betty ... good luck with shed, hope you and your visiting pups can enjoy some R&R today ..

Susan, lucky you re the serger and the cushions, will make it so much easier :-)

I'm off

Take care

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 21, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9132090

Have a great trip, Marilyn!!!! I'll just bet you'll have a terrific time :-)

I'll take another dozen cushions to church next Sunday as she said she'd do more

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 21, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9132532

Made it. No fish yet, tomorrow is another day. :-)

Ttfn

M

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 21, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9132537

Glad you made it safely, Marilyn! Fish? you're fishing? I musta missed something...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 21, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9132595

Evening, ready for bed! Susan, " M" and Lorna are off to camp this week..lots of fishing and hopefully few black flies and skitters.

You've been planning this trip "M" for weeks now, what did you miss bringing, sure you left something behind...maybe the bait and that is why no fish. Lol

carol, did you have a better day today?

Yawning so best I call this long weekend over!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 21, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9132625

yeah, I knew they were camping - didn't think about fishing for some reason. Bob & I either go camping OR fishing lol
Where we camp there's no fishing to be had (shallow creek - only minnows!), and where we fish is only 2 hours from Calgary - no tenting with power to be had (at my age, I want light, and power - can do without heat and just use coats and more blankets!)
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 21, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9132835

Marilyn I have tried almost everything you can think of. The electrolyte drinks make me throw up they are too sweet - I am still looking for one not flavored. Food has similar effect. I did manage a banana and some tomato soup today but really feeling miserable. Two neighbors came by and walked the dogs, put out the garbage bins for tomorrow and watered the pots and plants waiting to go in the ground.

Tomorrow I will talk with one of the nurses and see if I can get off this new med.Unfortunately it has been a long weekend I could of course call and talk with the oncologist on call but I decided to wait.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 21, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9132840

I rather wish you Had spoken with the oncologist. No point being brave and miserable...
I hope they have a med that works for you And allows you to eat...
At least a banana and tomato soup is good. s'funny - we had tomato soup and cucumber sandwiches.
Are you able to eat cucumbers?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 22, 2012
3:18 AM

Post #9133037

Carol, if you wake and still feeling the same I would opt for the oncologist!
Thank goodness you have neighbors keeping an eye on you and helping out where they can. Sending hugs

Rained during the night , saying we could have more showers today, gardens are doing the happy dance!

Will be nice going to work for a rest..
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 22, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9133391

Just waiting for the triage nurse to call me.
Shelly(foster home) is going to come today and take Abby for a couple of weeks. Sassy is due to have dental surgery on Thurs and then will go to another foster home for a couple of weeks to give me a break- just Bailey and I then. I have a CT scan on Thurs and bone scan on Friday .

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 22, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9133433

Let's hope Carol they rush you in for quick check-up..Thursday is a long time to wait for some answers and also to start feeling better.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 22, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9133548

Carol - if I could take this from you, I would... or even a portion of it to make you feel better, like eating and split the treatments/appointments... I know that I don't know what you're going through, but I know you must be very tired and miserable...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 22, 2012

Post #9133873

Rain,rain go away. Woke up to rain and have had it all day. Fogot our rain gear,so have been playing cards and watching movies.
No fishing today

Carol perhaps if you dilute the sweet stuff?

Internet to is wonkie. Best get off

M

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 22, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9133877

We have rain now & we love it!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 22, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9133925

M I do dilute things - not m uch help!

Talked with nurses this am, went in for another hydration and had another long chat. Can go back on the Immodium to stop the diarhea and not take the new chemo pills for at least one week to give my body a break then back in next Monday to see Doc. Nurse thinks part of issue is I didnt really have a break between the IV chemo and the new drug.Also getting a prescription to try to clean up my mouth- I have a thick yucky mess on my tongue which probably does not help taste much. Also she had palliative care home care nurse come to talk and somebody will come to the house to do an evaluation later this week.( I dont need palliative care at the moment but my cancer is basically uncurable now so that is why we are going that route) The alternative to these chemo pills is IV chemo, once every 3 weeks. Sounds a lot better to me!

Sassy's dental surgery is put off for 2 weeks as the meds have not changed her T4 levels, we will double the dose and she will go off for her vacation and then the surgery will be done. Abby has gone this morning to stay with foster mom Shelly and 3 other shelties.

I dont think I told you Joan and I went to visit a sheltie breeder who is one of our supporters and has a new litter of pups - they are 8 weeks old now, all blue merles so we had to go and help with the socialization!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 22, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9134113

Hi Carol - called you, and Know you're not out in your garden in This Rain, but maybe you're having dinner, or resting? Take care, and glad you're getting a "break" from your new meds. Your body needs to rest obviously...

8 puppies! awwww I've never seen Sheltie pups - bet they're cute as the dickens! Blue Merles...think that's what our neighbour has - called Angel. Sweet, shy dog - they've had her for 1 1/2 years now. Not quite as nervous around people as she used to be, but still... keeps her distance :-)
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 22, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9134503

Susan thanks for calling - I just have not felt like talking to anyone.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 22, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9134562

I may not know what you're going through, but I can appreciate you not wanting to talk to anyone...
Carol - if you ever want to talk, I'm here for you. I still have a bit of my cough (pretty sure my cold is done with, but don't want to take the chance with you...), and am making sure I don't come to see you, as much as I'd like to...
How do you manage when you go out to these public places?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 23, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9134853

Morning all, sunshine day in this neighborhood..hoping you are all having the same..

Gardens are growing, all greenery though, hard to believe that in 2 or 3 weeks we should have flowers..here's hoping!

Carol, nothing worse than trying to be sociable when you feel terrible..hope today is a better day for you! Sending prayers along with the hugs.

"M" hope you are able to get outside and enjoy today. Wanted to listen to Breakfast Television this morning to see what kind of weather you are waking up to but had so much to no never got the chance.

All alone am I..isn't that a song lol
Just me in the office with nothing to do so brought in a wood panel to sketch and paint for one of the faux windows for the shed..that SHOULD keep me out of mischief

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 23, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9135314

keep you out of mischief? YOU Betty? LOL I pray that you will always be able to keep busy - better than the "opposite" right?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 24, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9136711

Sad to say we have had rain everyday since we got here:-(
We did get out to fish for a couple oh hours yesterday, but, so windy.. No fish and gazillion of blacklist, happily there are tons of movies to watch.Leave tomorrow.. Miss the furries

Take care all

M

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 24, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9136717

Too bad you didn't get more fishing, Marilyn, but you Did get to relax in the cabin.
Is it as disability accessible as you would hope?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9136788

Ahhh not good...perfect day here 77 degrees, had rain Monday during the night..calling for more this weekend..so dry, sure do hope it does, everything is so dry..not a good test "M" to see how much you like doing it again

Carol, thinking a lot about you, how are you feeling today?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 24, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9136801

It's 37F here... and drizzling.
Staying inside this aft, and doing more job search stuff. This morning went to an Info Session with Befitits and got some info for Bob re: training. Also got some websites to do more search for myself.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9136875

Productive day Susan!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 24, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9136949

Busier for Bob - after we went to the Info Session, he had a job interview (loved his personality, but wanted more "Inside construction experience" than the outside stuff he has), then at 5pm he's going to help our friend Bob pick up something for a job Bob's doing, Then we have Choir practice tonight... yikes!
Tomorrow Bob will go to Services Canada and see about training for him (MS office programs).

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9136990

let's hope something becomes of his visit with Service Canada.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 24, 2012

Post #9137018

Hopefully it will benefit both of us...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9137207

Happy birthday joannabanana, hoping it was extra special!
Would help if pressies included gift certificate for a nursery! Lol

Carol, thinking of you!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 24, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9137210

Happy Birthday, Joanne!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 24, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9137246

Went for my CT today - you are supposed to drink about a litre of special fluid in the 2 hours previous - I warned them I could not and in the end only managed about half a cup of my first cup! But they did it any way and tech told me pics were OK.

Tomorrow I have a bone scan ( nuclear) Good news today was that the partial obstruction seen on the X-ray 3 weeks ago has disappeared, CT will confirm or not. Not so good news is I have a significant build up of fluid in my lungs so tomorrow after the scan they will drain my lungs.

Got a pill for my mouth issue as I could not take the suspension they gave me first - just made me throw up!
Hope this works -have to keep inspecting my tongue!

See the oncologist and blood work etc on Monday and they have me booked for a treatment on Tuesday but I dont know what it is or what for - will find out on Monday.

Home care nurse came to see me yesterday - they will visit once a week to check up on me and if I need help with personal care they will arrange that. Nurse is available 24 hours a day every day - reassuring!

Neighbor coming over on Sat to get my new plants in the ground. We have been having a fair bit of rain which we certainly need. The daffodils are all out and I even picked a bunch yesterday.

Thumbnail by fancyvan   Thumbnail by fancyvan

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9137250

Been MIA for several days. Either gardening or running around doing errands or appointments.

Carol - I'm so glad you were able to connect with someone who may be able to help you. I sure hope things go more smoothly.

Betty wrote [quote]Your trip to Rochester takes you how long? Where do you cross over?[/quote]
I go straight south from Ottawa and cross at Ogdensburg. It's a lot quieter crossing than the 1000 Islands. Then a stretch on two lane roads, but good ones, over to I81 just north of Watertown. Down I81 to Mexico and cross country from there. Takes about 4 1/2 hours driving time plus stops at the border and for potty stops, etc.

Don't know yet when the wedding will be here in Ottawa and it will be small at city hall.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9137319

carol, glad that almost all your health issues are being addressed. Hopefully next week you will feel a lot better and can get outside.your gardens are well edged, Lordy that must have taken yu forever. I do mine by cleaning the edges but I'm sure every year my gardens gain 6"

Viola Ann, I would not have thought it would take that amount of time to travel to Rochester. It would take me about same from here, crossing at Lewiston. Let's hooe the wedding will take p,ace when the gardens are in full bloom for photo's!

Tired tonight..will start new thread n the a.m.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 24, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9137323

Thanks for the Birthday Wishes! I had a great day.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 24, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9137335

Wonderful!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 24, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9137445

Betty the front yard beds are edged with small concrete blocks. The back beds are not and I edge them myself about once a year to keep them tidy. And since somebody else cuts my lawn they use an electric edger - I use a manual one - dont like noisy tools.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 24, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9137464

Carol - I agree with Betty - glad your issues are getting resolved... is it because your lungs are filled with fluid that you can't drink much? (I don 't know about these things, but wonder if the 2 liquid issues are related somehow?) Make good use of the home care nurse, please... glad it's available 24/7
Your front garden is lovely!

Joanne - glad you had a good birthday!

VAnn - didn't realize you were going all the way to Mexico! Do you know katiebear in Mexico? Wouldn't it be nice to meet DG'ers there :-) It would be nice if the flowers were in bloom. I understand from katie that they have a water ban so wonder if it would be very brown and dry...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

May 25, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9137692

Morning, feel rain in the air but just incase I have the sprinkler on..think we'll be doing a lot of that seeing as the lawns are starting to brown and hotter weather on its way!

Susan, you are too cute..Viola is crossing over going to Rochester and providing a route..No real Mexico but bet she would lone to go. Lol

Carol, it's no easy job edging gardens but once done gives a neat look to them..I'm almost at the edging stage, 2 gardens edged because I completely revamped them but now there is 11 more to go..not rushing, one garden every once in awhile and eventually the will get done. Brick is a good idea.

Noticed in my walkabout this morning that one of the new shrubs I just bought $24.98 looks as though it's on it's way out..will have to take photo and drop into the nursery Monday morning and see what they say.

Well, need line trimmer cord, stain,mulch and have a 9am Dr's appt so if I get a move on might get all picked up before I meet at nine.

Hope it's a sunshine day n your neck of the woods!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 25, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9137712

Homeward bound today. Spent the last 2 days indoors reading and watching movies! Last night we had extremely high winds, the cabin just shook, we were some worried as we are the only people here other than the couple who manage the resort!! Sure have seen enough of this rain!!

Belated happy bday Joanne.

Carol, all I can say is I am thinking of you.

Safe travels ViAnn.

Betty, you're busy, as always.

Time to have some brekkie, and head home.. Hoping there are no wash outs .. Actually missing the furries!!!

M

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9137719

Mexico, NY. A bit north of Syracuse. LOL https://maps.google.com/maps?q=mexico,+ny&hl=en&ll=43.509717,-76.124954&spn=0.39242,0.670166&sll=45.458648,-75.603267&sspn=0.01186,0.020943&hnear=Mexico,+Oswego,+New+York&t=m&z=11

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 25, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9138163

Betty - of course I'm cute (lol betcha didn't think I would agree!!)
Viola Ann - didn't know there was a Mexico NY!! Of course it's only 4 1/2 hours from you - THAT part had me confused LOL
veeeery Interesting (Shades of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, Artie Johnson) LOL

wait just a doggone minute - I'm Adorable, not just Cute!!! LOL

This message was edited May 25, 2012 10:48 AM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

May 25, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9138204

Flipped us over to this address http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1260821/

Hope everyone makes it ^_^

~M~

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America