Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Organic Gardening: Wild violets taking over!

Communities > Forums > Organic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Organic GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lhay99
Toronto
Canada

April 29, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9102469

Hi everyone -

I'm a relatively new gardener living in Toronto - which, I'm told, is in a Carolinian climate. I just love that.

Anyway, when we moved in we dug up all the grass in the back yard and have been planting trees and various and sundry beautiful things. Somehow, though, we've ended up with lots and lots of wild (purple) violet. At first, I was just enjoying them - and still do - but they're really taking over and I'm concerned about my other plants. I don't want them to choke out all my herbs, berries, and flowers, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I saw an older 2008 post that suggested spraying vinegar on them but they're almost all around other things so this would be hard to do. Digging them up is all I can imagine at this point but it's going to take a long time (!) and I don't know how much that will help.

Any feedback or suggestions would be helpful.
Mountaindweller
Dolan Springs, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9110870

I suppose an alternative is to deadhead them before they can re-seed, but...ack! That's a lot of work! Maybe you could just reclaim a small area at a time, keeping up with it once it's cleared. Not much else to do, I think. But at least they're pretty!
back40bean
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9110971

I had a similar problem with violets and I spent mant hours digging them up. It's pretty effective if you can get the entire root. Of course more will come but if you get them when they're small they are not so bad to pull out. If you have your area well mulched, of course, the new ones will be all the more easy to pull.
sharonf1
Lake in the Hills, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9233081

I have been fighting wild violets in the yard since I moved to this house 10 years ago. The other day, I was weeding with my 8 year old nephew and pointed out the "violet weeds that grow everywhere" that aren't the same as his mom's polite garden violets that stay put. He looked up at me and asked "If they grow so well why take them out. They're pretty." So we had a lemonade together instead of yanking out "pretty weeds"...

I'm sure I'll remember why I want them gone- after he goes home ;)

~Sharon

back40bean
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9234862

The violets are, indeed, pretty, though I still pull them up. It really does get easier once you get the established plants out. Getting the entire root is essential. Sharon, I think you made the right choice to go with the flow and enjoy your nephew. The violets can wait.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9245144

Well supposedly they make nice perfume also.Oh well, I have them here, I have had them everywhere I have ever been.I think I will go with the Nephew, there pretty, If I pull a few weeding okay, otherwise the little perfumes can grow anywhere they want to ,as they will anyway,lol.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miracle Gro darius 70 May 14, 2013 6:35 AM
Not Gardening, but Organic information darius 14 Feb 20, 2008 9:10 PM
pumpkins & borers roseofkaren 25 Feb 24, 2008 8:39 PM
Brewer's grain vs. Alfalfa meal/pellets for amendments? tabasco 9 Nov 3, 2008 6:36 PM
Raised beds & soil-borne disease sfk 9 Apr 6, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America