-
AuthorContent
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9102598

I'm going to drench my brugs with Bayer 3-in-1 to try to ward off the spider mites this summer. Last year I used it on both the in ground and potted ones. I notice in the instructions that you're not supposed to use it in containers. Does anyone else use it in containers? I have very large pots if that makes a difference. I'm sure I used it on the potted ones last spring and they were fine.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9105533

Sandi,
I use another of Bayers products, but the name escapes me right now. It can be used on pots as small as 1 gallon without damage, but it is only an insecticide no other additives. I use the pelleted form because it is easier to manage. No mixing and pouring. I'll get the name and post it.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9105771

Thanks, I'm not familiar with the pellet kind. I'll only drench the in ground ones until I hear from you.
OhToGrow
Hope Mills, NC

May 11, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9119755

I used the Bayer rose insecticide in containers and it with two applications I never had another aphid all winter nor any fungus gnats.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9120346

Thanks, OhToGrow! We've had so much rain, I wish I had drenched them before it all stated. I'm gradually getting them into the ground, but it's slow going! Once the rain stops, I figure the mites, aphids, and grasshoppers will come to visit me. I want to be reasonably prepared.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9122482

i used the pellet form and it kept all the bug off but i prefer going organic as much as possible. iuse rotted tree crumbles,compsted cow manure, bone meal and lime. then later i use composted chicken manure. in between i use mg and whatever else i have on hand. just started using the tree crumbles this year. Lots of downed trees here that just crumble away in you hands. excellent soil conditioner and holds moisture.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9122558

Doesn't sound like you have weeks of 100 degree days in NC where the spider mites run rampant! Can you give me the name of the pellet form? I'd really appreciate it!
OhToGrow
Hope Mills, NC

May 13, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9122657

We actually do have weeks of 100 degree heat with TONS of humidity. I used the spray kind and it was winter though.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2012
11:40 PM

Post #9122812

I do live in Nc, but up in the mtns. so quite a bit cooler than Ohtogrow in Hope Springs. Oddly, only creamsicle gets spider mites. The pellet I use is the Bayer's 3-in-one. It's very effective, though.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9123056

Thanks for pellet info. Our garden's part of a tour in June. I'm worried about the spider mites causing a minor disaster. Once the tour is over, they can have their way with the brugs. I'll keep a wary eye on Creamsicle...it's never bloomed for me, so if it gives me any trouble, I'll toss it.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9123898

I used the Bayer tree and Shrub in March, sprayed with Avid (Past due second spray but we have had too much rain to spray.) Three of my favorite plants are still getting wrinkled leaves. (New orleans Lady, Maya and First Belle) All the others (about 30) seem fine. Would it hurt to use the 3 in 1 in addition to the drench and spray? Well silly question, at this point what will it hurt.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9125135

3-in-1 is high in the nutrients, especially nitrogen so i don't think you need both at least not at the same time.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9162914

I'm glad I found this thread. I have found out one of my brugs has a pretty bad infestation of spider mites. I just purchased the Bayer 3-in-1 yesterday, so I will go ahead and spray it, among other things that need it. Seems to me I'm getting more and more insect pests here every year. I've tried organic methods, but with only some small success. This year I have brought out the big guns for just about everything. Pesticides, fungicides, herbicides. That Bayer 3-in-1 sounds like it will be good for a lot of things.

Karen

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
1:56 AM

Post #9163154

I have some reservations about the Bayer's products though. A farmer who lives in our county, raising and selling locally (and organically) believes that some of these hi-tech fertilizes and pesticides like Round-up are causing bee kill-off. She grows beef, honey, and other vegetative items. So everyone needs to be careful.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9165624

My DH and I raise beef cattle, but in a sense, we are really in the grass business. So we could decide what we use and when we use it, I applied for and received my Applicator's License. To renew it, I must have at least 15 hours of eligible courses. For at least the last 5 years, the emphasis has been on the use of Integrated Pest Management.

Quoting:Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is an effective and environmentally sensitive approach to pest management that relies on a combination of common-sense practices. IPM programs use current, comprehensive information on the life cycles of pests and their interaction with the environment. This information, in combination with available pest control methods, is used to manage pest damage by the most economical means, and with the least possible hazard to people, property, and the environment.

The use of the term "pest" can refer to whatever is causing a problem. The keys to the use of any pesticides, herbicides and fungicides whether they be organic or non-organic based is to identify the culprit causing the problem(s) you have, to find the least toxic product that will control or completely eliminate the problem, have an understanding of the chemicals used and use caution when using it. By using the least toxic materials to begin with, you cause the least damage to unintended victims and saving the more potent chemicals to use later when the "pests" have developed resistance to your first chemical. Also decide whether you are satisfied with controlling the problem or whether you need complete elimination.

I cringe every time someone mentions having mixed a "cocktail" to address a multitude of problems, because they are not sure with what they are dealing or because they want to cover all bases at once.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9165664

I've just gotten tired of trying to control certain insect pests and fungal problems that continue to persist and are getting out of control. Thanks god I don't have to use it on everything. I would be spending fortune on pest control. I have a lot of plants that aren't bothered by pests or diseases.

Karen
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9165923

Update: I used the Bayer 3-in-1 on the brugs. I didn't find the pellets. The brugs seemed to thrive, as did the roses that I gave a drink to. As for the garden tour, everything was healthy and happy...no mites anywhere. The only small glitch was that the brugs were so happy, most bloomed the Sunday before the tour!!!!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9166651

The 2-in-1 is only fertilizer and systemic insect control. The 3-in-1 also contains an anti-fungal. Brugs don't need the anti-fungal as I have seen and I live in a VERY rainy area. But roses do.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9166927

I think you're right, Woodspirit, the brugs don't get bothered by fungal diseases.

Nice brug, BB! That's a shame they bloomed before the tour. :-(

Karen
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9167098

Thanks, Karen. I still had some brugs blooming, but nothing like the flushes the week before the tour. The weather here was warm in Feb. and March, so the roses were blooming beautifully. I cut them back in late April and they re-bloomed in time for the tour. I'm sure it was largely due to 3-in-1. I didn't do anything else for them, except alfalfa pellets. It's in the high 90s now, so I'm not expecting much from the brugs until it cools down again...but they may surprise me.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9167101

That heat sounds like torture. We're having temps in the 70's this week, and I'm loving it, but by midweek next week we will be up around 90. Too hot for me!

Karen
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9167931

I am having trouble with one of my Brugs. I took a couple of leaves to the county Ag. agent. last year and he found Broad mites. I treated with Avid every 3 days for 6 treatments on every Brug. I thought all was well but that same plant is having problens again this year. I have treated it 6 times and pulled off every leaf, I used Bayer 3 in 1 in the soil. It is a Beautiful double 'New Orleans Lady' My next thing is to cut it way back clean the roots and soak in Hot water. If that doesn't help it is trash day. Any one have any idea how to cure this plant. I sure don't want to lose it if I can help it. I had a brief problem with two others in the Spring but both are in beautiful leaf now.
Betty

This message was edited Jun 16, 2012 6:11 PM
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2012
1:44 AM

Post #9168336

It could be that the broadmites you have are now resistant to Avid. If that is so, then you will have to escalate and use a different product. If last year was the first year you used Avid and if at the end of the 6th treatment growth returned to normal, I wonder if perhaps the problem was a nutrient problem instead of a broadmite problem.

I had a similar problem with 3 Brugs. The 3 Brugs developed distorted leaves and twigs toward the end of winter one year. Treating with Avid didn't help. As the weather warmed and I resumed my fertilizing program, they sent out new normal looking shoots. This happened again the following year. That was when I decided to raise the temperature in my greenhouse and to continue fertilizing my Brugs throughout winter. I haven't had a problem with "broadmites" since. I'm pretty sure it was a nutrient deficiency or a pH problem. I don't remember what I decided the deficiency was. Here's the original post:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/936358/?hl=nutrient deficiency
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9168424

Thank you Betty, That would explain a lot. Think I'll clean the plant, repot, and fertilize again.
I have a recipe for a fertilizer that is great but makes so much I haven't used in in a few years. Maybe that's what this plant is wanting. Think I'll mix up some and try it.
I'll let you know what happens.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9171891

I've been using some Black Hen on mine, last year and this year. They seem to grow faster and are healthier. Black Hen is not composted like Black Kow; it is pelletized so you have to be careful. I use it on roses, too. I also like the alfalfa but only buy it in small boxes of rabbit food.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9175176

I was just reading a Monrovia (horticultural company) tag tonight, and it stated that their soil blends are inoculated with mycorrhizae, a natural fungus that strengthens root growth, helps with absorption of nutrients, and helps fight transplant shock. They also include compost in their commercial soils. This could probably be a great benefit to brugs, as well as many other plants, especially potted ones.

Karen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America