SOLVED: Wild or cultivated tree or shrub?

Croton-on-Hudson, NY(Zone 6b)

Found this in a damp section of our property. Would love to have an ID so I can protect it or remove it if it is not a welcome plant.

Thumbnail by mygardens
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lonicera perhaps lonicera maacki

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

wisplants.uwsp.edu this link will direct you to more lonicera

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I agree very honeysuckle looking

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

scroll down and see if this helps, close as I could get., Goofed with the first link 'xcuse';

www.plcnh.org/invasivesguide.htm

It is not like the honeysuckle vine we have but I did search google for lonicera maacki and came up with http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/loma.html . It describes it as "a highly invasive large shrub or small tree" which is how I would describe the one we have although it is quite small. I will keep an eye on it and see if it develops the red fruit. Thanks.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

mygardens; Yours looks more like the" bush honeysuckle" particularly the leaves, the stems match most japonica, what I was trying to do was find a bloom match to give the cultivar a name.
The plant you have blooms like the cream cascade series, only those all fade from white to yellow. That side to side bi-pinnate bloom with the rose purple bud to white full bloom is what I hoping to find to give your plant a name.
Bush honeysuckle," at ohio edu." has the leaf the white bloom
If you would like to look at many Lonicera try "esveld lonicera" in the search bar. I lost the old page from them last night that had a bloom like your plant , only they list many you might enjoy a look.
Pretty plant and many enjoy them invasive or not,thank you for allowing me try and name yourplant.

juhur7 - Thanks for all the information. I do want to try to get a better photo especially of the flower. I'll follow your helpful links. Thanks for taking time to write again.

Here is a better photo of the flowers and one of the tree.

Thumbnail by mygardens Thumbnail by mygardens

When I compare the photos, I am wondering if this is the Morrow's Honeysuckle shown at http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/39772/ ?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Looks a lot a like ,maybe a "bella x morrowii" so many cultivars. That thin petal bloom stem making yours unique. This could be really difficult putting a cultiver name unto this plant as it has likely naturalized .
Bella has single white blooms, sometimes only one, even if there bi-pinnate ,there is usually only one bloom on one side And they extend from the bloom petal.The morrowii does not extend from the bloom betal , and often has two single blooms two each bi-pinnate side.
There's no doubt the parent of your plant was morrowii ,with color of those blooms . How about we say that your plant is morrowii.... somthing. ?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Goofed there a little thought I was looking at something other than your plant in updated photo,updated is a morrowii no doubt.

juhur7 - I'll go with morrowii. Many thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.