Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Soil and Composting: Turkey Compost

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 2, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9103108

I just got half a yard of Turkey Compost. My question is should I just top-dress with it or till it in a little?
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9103753

is the turkey compost cooked? does packaging/source say what the Nitrogen level is?
if its low.. and composted i wouldnt see why top dressing plants would be a problem..
if its "hot" then digging it in would be the way to go.. or even use it in your own compost..
here in utah..south of here..there is a big turkey farm..they make a compost..a real compost
from the wood chips bedding and turkey poop.. its good stuff.. a bit pricey for me..because i
can use alot of compost.. but it is good stuff..:)
good luck to ya !!!
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9103921

Thanks tropicalnut777! Yes, it has been cooked already. I bought it at a local nursery that sales bulk soils. I'm not sure what the Nitrogen level is. I should have asked. Sounds good I'm trying to go for a no till garden it seems like less work.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America