Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Autumn Brugmansias #3

Clifton Springs, Australia

It's been an unusually cold Autumn everywhere, so lets hope Winter isn't too unkind on our plants..
Time now to plan the crosses we intend to make from our home grown and local Brugmansias....
When I think of all the choices we have it won't be long before we won't need to bring in seed...
Most of the genes will be here already...of course there's always something special that we might like to replicate.
This year should see the first of the Sphaeros.....ooh the anticipation for them....
We have 5 first time growers of the cold group, plus Alistair when he drops in....so this will be a very interesting year.
Keep posting pics and keep up the chat....
Here is The Dancer before the 2nd corolla ..
We came from here...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253228/

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 7:26 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Brisbane, Australia

Dianne... The Dancer is looking good!! Just noticed how short the bloom tendrils are.

Chrissy..Are you saying that hybridizing with single pod parent and a double pollen parent will only produce singles? I have not been hybridizing brugs long enough to know but I have assumed that doubles were still possible but to a lesser % that with a double pod parent and single pollen parent.
I have no hesitation buying seeds on Ebay especially when Liz Ficht is the seller! I am currently waiting for some to arrive from her(with Volkie in the parentage)

I have finished my hybridizing for this season with my limited number of plants. Did a rough check on the pods today and counted 33 !!
Allan

Sydney, Australia

Don't you just love that colour change ?
Thanks Dianne ...your *The Dancer* is in her Ball Gown, very demure at the moment.
She is a real treasure for sure!
We came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253228/
Yes it is very cold here already ...time to put the teeny babies under shelter for fear of Frost, the bigger ones should be ok, but if in doubt take cuttings just in case and keep under shelter.

Yes exciting times again, another two pods off PP today all with seeds present in the corks, so I will send them off to BGI once they are thoroughly dry, I love PP too Dianne (she is a bit free with her favours though). Never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself, even her children have hot pollen.

I have had a busy but good day, Sunny but cold, that's good working weather so long as the Wind stays away, my Culebra is throwing up shoots from below Shaun, it is starting to look pleased with itself.
Something has had a feast of some seedlings, just big chomp marks, maybe large Grasshoppers, oh well, what was I going to do with so many anyway, if I see any more damage I may use a flame thrower !!!!
So many little frogs out there I just can't use anything that might hurt them though :(
Congratulations again Dianne she is a real beaut !

chrissy

This message was edited Jun 8, 2012 5:46 PM

Sydney, Australia

Sorry If I was not clear Allan, no I mean these days a single and a double can give you doubles- in the old days it was not easy, if that is what you want. Just check the background of the single to see if there are doubles in the parents or grandparents of the single (many singles have doubles in their backgrounds). I myself got a double from a single pod Parent Ludger's Windsong by a double pollen parent which was New Orlean's Lady.
What they find is that there is less of a problem with deformed blooms (sometimes double x double can cause this- like too much inbreeding) just look to the backgrounds.
The BGI data thing is fab for that.
Best of luck with your seeds, she breeds good ones ! :)

chrissy

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

Come dance with me my fair lady, Dianna again love her and that almost hidden 3rd skirt and the color value is all over the place at the moment for her.

Chrissy Culebra is a b56tard and he is doing well here also with the cooler weather, it looks like there could be a few more flowers on him before he retires for the winter, I have a 3 foot shoot that i think i may keep as a leader as the other main stem is leaning quite alot,
I think that i may have a pod on aurea(form) X.Culebra and it dose seem to be swelling up day by day so all digits crosses for a successful pod in a few months and what to do with those seed im sure every one on DG, BGI, IBrug & FB would wanna get there hands on such a rarity, probably the rarest cross in the coming few years i would assume!

I dont have PP flowering but i was given some sweet nectar from him to work on others i have got a few pods with PP as pollen parent so the pollen is hot also cant wait till next year to see it my self on PP and the pod collection the hussy collects hahahah

Allan, this is where she gets the short corolla teeth from....Angel's Swingtime, her pod parent..
33 pods, you'll be busy Allan....I wonder how our seeds would go on eBay?
Liz has some fabulous crosses, the ones that I bought from her last year, have grown well....
Fred has some beauties.....OK I've weakened on a couple too.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 7:30 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

yes but the new kid on the Block at ebay is Bluemchen Blume with the most fascinating crosses available
I have bought from Fred Summers, Volker Sanders, Elizabeth Fichtl and now most recently BB
I have been happy with all the seed that i have obtained from all the breeders and would recommend them to any one else.
You got to love Angel's Swingtime the color is so rich

Sydney, Australia

Shaun are you telling these suppliers to mark the Brugs as Candida crosses ?
It is important, else they may be grabbed.
I feel kind of nervous as I actually bought something on Ebay tonight ...I wanted one cross very much and I won it !
What a nerve wracking experience ! whew.
What the heck, I surely hope they make it here so I can dream about them over Winter. ^_^
Gee I got a shock when I won it !

chrissy

Yes you can contact suppliers to have them marked as candida but most of them now know that they should be marked that way any way

Chrissy to start of contact the supplier of the seed you won and just ask them to declare them as candida for your own sake
congrats on your first win on Ebay was it a good cross Dahhhh chrissy bought it of cause it is.
i won 2 tonight from Holland (*paradiesvoegelchen* ( 5 ) )
Brugmansia Creamsickle X.Superspot
Brugmansia Superspot X.Creamsickle
im so glad i got these crosses
and i have 2 more in line and no more for this year unless i can find from Liz Flitchl a cross of Luise X.Jacayna
My sister tough me a way to win every thing you go for and so far it has worked for me with the crosses that iv wanted other then 1 that went to over $26 for 10seed that was to expensive

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 11:04 PM

Sydney, Australia

ha ha ha you bu**er I was after That first one, but I won the one I wanted most ...Creamsickle x Langenbuscher Garten, might have known it was you ^_^ ...so Congratulations ! hope they get here in one piece and those corks are full of seeds. They reckon over at BGI that it's a good hybridizer seller. (I sent off a note re Candida).
I just like Creamsickle because of my Twilight Time and it is not messed with by mankind too much. It may be awful crossed LBG, but I just have to have a go at it, I figure marrying a Creamsickle backgrounded Brug to another Creamsickle Backgrounded Brug may give it even better Stamina than it already has, flushing almost constantly, no weirdness going on, just beautiful blooms is what I have already so it is my personal choice for now. There is much talk of LBG giving white children despite it's own vibrant colour (says Liz from BGI) so that may give me what I want in terms of pure white multi skirted many tendrilled fragrant babies.
Yes I know we are hopeless ! but I can dream of it over Winter.

chrissy

Merino, Australia

I am not, I repeat...NOT ... going to even look on eBay for brug seeds any further this winter.
I have a container full in the frig.
I will never have room for them all. I may have to move hubby out to his shed and start putting brugs inside .
I have lots of nearly pods still hanging on. . I am hoping they turn into strong pods.
What surprises me is that there seem to be quite a few hanging on GHA which I didnt pollinate.
The only brug any where around at the time was his twin brother and maybe a flower on aurea Lucas.
All the other brugs are way down the back and not in flower at the time.
I have everything crossed for some of the pods to hang on.
I do have one getting larger which is on an aurea Lucas cutting and can only be from GHA .
Jean.

Congrats on your eBay wins, Chrissy and Shaun....as soon as I saw Creamsickle, I thought of Twilight Time...
Even one the colour of Creamsickle would be very nice......
Which one went for $26+? Shaun.....good money in some of the seeds...
Sometimes I forget to "watch" one that I like..so I miss the final figure...

LOL, Jean...

Merino, Australia

Wellllllll....
I can try.....
lol

Jean.

Sydney, Australia

Ha ha ha ...so funny, I was scared I would blow something up ! in Ebay.
I have too many Brugs too, but I wanted that Creamsickle cross.
Look the way I see it is, if a beautiful brugmansia plant was right there in front of you then you would buy that plant for a lot more than $26 .00 (I would) ...so even just one seed that gives you a nice Brug to love and work with, then that is cheap. If you get a beauty then it is priceless right ?
I bet Shaun's brug was a coldie , right Shaun ?
it's cold here this morning brrrr.

chrissy

Sydney, Australia

ooops forgot to say good luck with all your pods everyone, isn't it fantastic ?
Brug Explosion Ahead !!!
We dreamed it and now we are doing it !

chrissy

West of Brisbane, Australia

I'm staying away from the brug seeds on ebay, only because once you start looking ...
Plus, I've lost so many, in fact most, of those I bought simply because there were too many to properly look after. (Snails and wilt got most of them.) So many beautiful crosses gone, too many to enumerate, and too painful to remember! If I were to start again, I would concentrate on only a few batches of seeds rather than having so many and losing most of them.

Sydney, Australia

Awwwwww noooooo I am so sorry to hear that cestrum,
when I had to go away for many weeks and also when busy I too lost many treasures. The Big Hail event set back my babies by two years, so depressing when that happens, but soon some lovely blooms appear and remind us that the struggle is worth it (for me at least).I wasn't going to buy any more seeds but the Heart wants what the heart wants, my heart wants that perfect white. ^_^.
For me, just one or two beauties sooth the pain of losing others, lets face it, we can't have them all much as we would like to, once we didn't have but a small hand full, now look.
Everyone has too many ^_^

Thanks for the seeds Shaun !
Now how does that song go ?
they're coming to take me away aha !!!!!!! lol !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBYrL7VmB2U&feature=related

Sydney, Australia

Good cross by the way ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/644343/
Autumn Treasure
x
Marbach
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/312150/

Should give great results IMO. ^_^ Shaun, good choice, I hope the seeds will sprout ok.
I could slap myself, I have some USA seeds sprouting now, well I suppose this will test my ability to grow babies over Winter darn it ! slap slap slap ! ...
Sitting in damp sand in a plastic lidded box of sterilized river sand ...eek now what ?
None are very special so I suppose I will just use this as an experiment,
your seeds will go into the Fridge until we get 20C Spring days. Along with er ummm lots of others .
(◕_◕) ....yikes Lol !

chrissy

Sydney, Australia

Forgot to say the Citrus fragrance won me, I love those citrus scented Angels ! Autumn Treasure is described as having such a perfume.
For me 50% of the Brug love is the perfume.
When when growing many roses, the scent was essential to the choices.
Which Brug smells the best in your garden ?
It's a bit of a hard choice since there are now so many different notes that waft forth.
We need that New Orleans Lady fragrance for sure, who could do without Clementine,GHA and BB ...aren't we lucky ? ^_^
What one would you choose if you could only have one ?

chrissy

Merino, Australia

Thats easy, Chrissy...

Who else but GHA.....

Nothing has come close for me here so far..

Its the strongest and loveliest perfume of all the brugs I have .

Maybe Mango Cornet would be equal with BB after that.

Jean.

Zabaglione for me, because the perfume is there most of the day.
Clementine is intoxicating, but It's a night time perfume.
I can't say about Ivoire, he had a nice aurea perfume at first, but now he's way too tall to sniff.

I've just pruned Old Apricot, I have a Bob Hope camellia alongside it and the dead brug flowers had dropped on it and covered it up, I cleaned up OA and the camellia is full of flowers...very pretty.

Took some Ivoire and FFA cuttings a few weeks ago, I want them a bit closer to my nose in Spring.

Sydney, Australia

GHA will always be a very special Brugmansia.

Look at this, Edna has a beautiful Creamsickle cross baby ...Creamsickle gives a big cabbage of a bloom if the Creamsickle Genes win.
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/23151-new-seedling-creamsickle-x-mango-crush/
get a load of the fragrance description.

chrissy

Sydney, Australia

Dianne around here, in the Winter, Clementine scent sticks around most of the time on chilly but sunny days, same with a lot of my Brugs ...it might fool them into thinking it is night or something. Clementine is really very strong in the cool weather.
The blooms have all been pretty fragrant in the wet cooler weather this past summer as specially the ones on shadier situations.
can't wait to have a whiff of Ivoire ...I was looking at it's leaves outside, they are identical to it's mother's leaves, beautiful !
The buds are still growing on Melissa Amy and Bengal Tiger, I hope they make it before the Frost.
I haven't seen anyone talk about Bengal Tiger, is it still out there ?

edited due to typo- leaving the puter alone now, can you tell I have had too much coffee- hubby says I am bouncing off the walls so I had better settle and stick with the Caro this arvo, see you all a bit later ^_^

chrissy

This message was edited May 1, 2012 3:21 PM

Dianna, the $26+ variety had Berhkonigin as a pod parent i thought it a bit rich at the start of the growing season but because it was at the start many people wanted seed and will pay for it LoL

Jean & Dianna, ebay is a nasty peace of programming it gets you in and dose not let you go because you can get a wide variety of seed at good prices

Chrissy sorry for out bidding you on that cross but i had been watching it fro about 5days and was not going to lose it to any one hahahahahah if i have great success with germination ill send a seedling to you hows that!!!!

I have 2 more sets of seed on Ebay that im looking at and yes ill win those as well my dear sister tough me a trick to win almost every thing with in the price range that i submit,

most of the seed i get from Ebay are warmies and are of good breeding, i hope all of us get what we want form ebay and the breeders there and soon it will be our turn to sell back to them hahaha how the tables turn in such a short space of time .

Good luck with all your pods guys and i hope the frost dont burn them off

Sydney, Australia

awwww that is lovely of you Shaun ...we can swap a couple of seedling babies next Spring if you like, but I did really get my favourite, that one you won was a second choice. They probably will be produce nice babies but gosh what a lottery huh ?
I received pieces of one of the grandkids today from Wayne. I hope he does not mind me posting the picture. I don't know how it will go until I meet it myself ...Wayne says it is about BB's size, it looks like it wants to turn apricot perhaps. As we all know a Brug needs to be watched for a full year to see what happens. It's getting too cold to really be striking cuttings but I will try, babying them through.It's kind of bashed up a bit but I think it is nice, it was covered in buds and I had to remove heaps of tiny buds off the cuttings. It is Alphonse Mucha x GHA.
Here it is ...thanks so Wayne ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

I was out side checking all the pods that i have
I have over 50 crosses and the most exciting is Aurea(form) X.'Culebra' which is growing well, there are 3 Ivoire on 2 different plants , i also have the unusual cross of 1286 OA x.1023 AO so that will be interesting to see what happens in the up coming pod collection. i will also be documenting all the pods with a pic so i have a reference to the cross and information on the length & width of them with how many seed in each pod

i must have been very bizzy with 1286 OA as there are pods all over White Ruff about 10
but in most cases there are about 3 pods per variety,
aurea group is crossed and i have not as yet got GHA X.aurea (form) weather i have tried or it just dose not cross i will find out in the spring, but it looks like all other aurea's cross OK.
I have BB x.aurea(form) which could be interesting cross but wont know for a few years hahahaha

Sydney, Australia

Shaun ...all those numbers do my poor old head in , so long as you understand them and are happy that's great.

Good luck with your Culebra babies, wouldn't that be something ?

I have been out there checking around today and lots of pods are continuing to grow, despite cold wind, the sun has been doing it's job finally and you can see the growth daily. Rain is expected over the next few days.
Of course the pods on the doubles are inspected and spoken to, stroked and petted ..."pretty please be full of healthy little seeds" ...do you want ice cream and pickles? Mumma .
Well you just have to be excited over those ones.There are so many I haven't actually counted them all, I will tomorrow ...though it's a bit hard to get too excited about the open pollinated ones. But you never know ...guess we will find out in a couple of years if the weather permits, if we have any beauties out of them, after all there were only good brugs in bloom at the time.
It's pretty quiet with Winter approaching,we have silently slipped into May (5th month of 2012 -yikes) ...I don't expect we will see much activity once everyone gets hold of the Brug Bible, everyone will be busy reading and learning and trying to keep warm.
A great way to spend Winter.

chrissy

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi all.
Too fab Alistair, thank you!
http://www.florilegium.com.au/products-page/tropical-and-subtropical-plants/huanduj-brugmansia/
No sleep tonight! :)
Defiantly a "Berocca" tomorrow... although upon the good doctor's advice, we changed that name to 'Mea Culpa'!
So much to read, look at and enjoy.
OMG, how many !!!! and :) can a person fit into a note! :)
W.

Nowra, NSW,, Australia(Zone 9b)

LOL ))) :-)))

Thanks very much for 'HOPE' Chrissy: the lovely strong cutting arrived in very good order!

Brisbane, Australia

Lucky you Wayne !! Mine has a bit further to travel than yours, but I am hoping it will arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to a good read this week-end.
Allan

Sydney, Australia

Yay you have your book Wayne :) isn't it a true Brug Bible ? and what of the pictures ...it fair took my breath away !

Alistair Congratulations once again, it must feel like you poured your heart and soul into it ...it surely looks and reads like it, I feel blessed to have it.
I hope HOPE shines for you ...the colour is like nothing I have met before in my Brug garden, such a bright, hit you in the face yellow. It came from Jean as a little seedling,I hated to chop it because it bloomed at such a short height, but now a rooted cutting has gone to Vic and to you. I love it and I hope you and Jean will too.

Alan you are going to love the wonderful book too !
Does anyone else have theirs yet ?

This message was edited May 3, 2012 6:08 PM

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

I lied...
(Found out!:)
Made a cuppa read email and had to post here! :)

Generosity and kind spirit - true gardening lore!
Back to "The Book"...

I haven't got ''The Book", but I have got a decent sized pod on FFA x ( Angel's Flight x Charleston)..yippee...the other one that was on it, fell off.

When I think of how long I have been waiting for this book to be completed and published, it's probably the entire time that I have been interested in Brugmansias..........2008 I bought my first, discovered the DG forum in 2009, read about Alistair's intention to write and publish
a book on Brugmansias around that time and have been waiting ever since..........

Now that it's only a day or so away, when it does arrive, I might not unwrap it, I might just stare at the package for a while, you know what they say about anticipation...
I know how pretty the cover is, I've seen some of the photos and I know the content will be fascinating, especially the use of the plant by the locals.
So will I put it on the table for a while and resist a look?

Not a hope in heaven!!!!!

Sydney, Australia

Oh Dianne congratulations, you got there before me, I did pollinate with that one FFA bloom I could reach, fingers crossed the seeds will be good. Isn't it exciting to have doubles to work with.
I have (deliberate pollinated) 4 good pods on Twilight Time- 2 on Heart of Gold (deliberate pollinated) crossed to each other. ...at least 2 and possibly three on Fernando (open pollinated) I used Fernando pollen on a Giant crossed seedling (Wayne's) of mine got three pods on it ...as to the other pods ...they are every where.I can't help but hope some of the high up TT blooms shared some pollen with some of the others, I am thinking possibly PP open pollinated pods on ...Poison, Aztec Gold, Buck's Fizz,Big Stripey,(one on a a huge seedling I haven't named yet- you know the one that you could use as a hat- must be 10ft up there(how will I harvest it?) ...BB with two chosen crosses and two open pollinated. PP smothered in pods. Love Potion no., 9 covered in donated pods, Earth Angel x Pink Smitty also covered in donated pods. 2 pods on Axelrose donated,2 pods on cestrum's Apricot (not sure which apricot it is but it shows a lot of versicolor), two pods on Maya donated,3 pods on Calamine,Tenshi has two open pollinated pods. I haven't even been down the back into the secret garden, to look at the Jungle Brugs ...I can see some FP pods though ...golly what on Earth has gone on, was it those cool nights we had instead of hot Summer nights ? never seen anything like this in all my years of growing brugs ... I may have some Arborea pods down in that jungle section, I won't go down there until I am sure the snakes re gone though.
Lots of dreaming over Winter ...how about you ? ^_^
The Brug Bible to feast my starving eyes on ...who could ask for more !

chrissy

Brisbane, Australia

Re FFA... Although some of my early attempts to pollinate FFA failed, I now have 4 good sized pods which appear to be set. 3 using Fernando pollen and 1 with Mango Cornet pollen. Also NO problem using FFA pollen on Fernando and Mango Cornet. Plenty of pods!!

Should have plenty of seeds to share when they ripen later in the year.
Allan..

Sydney, Australia

They sound exciting Allan ...Congratulations, Fernando is sporting new buds, only small ,but you never know, they may bloom before the Frost gets here, if they do I hope to use him again, there are also more tiny buds on both TT, Heart of Gold and FFA.
In fact I am seeing many tiny buds once again on many of the brugs ...wouldn't it be wonderful if the frosty weather stays away for a while, we sometimes get really heavy fogs instead. This allows for easy crossing of some of the Brugs.
Good luck everyone !

chrissy

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Too good Allan!
The pods forming here, 'Tantra' x ('Musketeer' x 'Fernando) are looking very Aussie and well! :)
LOL, need sleep here...
My nomenclature is getting confused with my punctuation!
'Musketeer' x 'Fernando' - seedling working name 'Frilly Dilly'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Hi there Wayne, Alan & Alistair hope all have been well
Chrissy looks like there are a s$^%t load of pods that you have there looks like the table is going to be worked on in a big way this winter & Spring with all the seed drying out.

Wayne Frilly Dilly looks stunning a very nice cross indeed.
It looks like every one has pods to nurture throw the autumn & winter months to have them ready for the spring propagation season we are going to have so many seedlings what to do with them all OH just grow them.

Alistair, I cant wait for your book to be delivered to me in the next few days i have the other book Brugmansia & Datura both in English & German as i had to wait for a few years to get the English version. Congrats again for the hard work that yourslef, Monika & Adolfo have put in to such a beautify book
Shaun

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi Shaun.
Thanks, all good here, any better I might be twins!

Just reading and loving, and thinking, and praying ... ... ...
Gosh, I can feel a Dusty Springfield song just about to happen! :)

'Frilly Dilly' is a bit of fun naming with a seedling from Allan.
Big hopes I hope with a 'Tantra' cross we have here. Four pods so the garden gods might bless us with a wish…

This message was edited May 4, 2012 1:22 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.