Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Autumn Brugmansias #3

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 153, Views: 1,226
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 29, 2012
11:35 PM

Post #9103392

It's been an unusually cold Autumn everywhere, so lets hope Winter isn't too unkind on our plants..
Time now to plan the crosses we intend to make from our home grown and local Brugmansias...
When I think of all the choices we have it won't be long before we won't need to bring in seed...
Most of the genes will be here already...of course there's always something special that we might like to replicate.
This year should see the first of the Sphaeros...ooh the anticipation for them...
We have 5 first time growers of the cold group, plus Alistair when he drops in...so this will be a very interesting year.
Keep posting pics and keep up the chat...
Here is The Dancer before the 2nd corolla ..
We came from here...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253228/

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 7:26 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

April 30, 2012
12:02 AM

Post #9103396

Dianne... The Dancer is looking good!! Just noticed how short the bloom tendrils are.

Chrissy..Are you saying that hybridizing with single pod parent and a double pollen parent will only produce singles? I have not been hybridizing brugs long enough to know but I have assumed that doubles were still possible but to a lesser % that with a double pod parent and single pollen parent.
I have no hesitation buying seeds on Ebay especially when Liz Ficht is the seller! I am currently waiting for some to arrive from her(with Volkie in the parentage)

I have finished my hybridizing for this season with my limited number of plants. Did a rough check on the pods today and counted 33 !!
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2012
12:15 AM

Post #9103398

Don't you just love that colour change ?
Thanks Dianne ...your *The Dancer* is in her Ball Gown, very demure at the moment.
She is a real treasure for sure!
We came from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253228/
Yes it is very cold here already ...time to put the teeny babies under shelter for fear of Frost, the bigger ones should be ok, but if in doubt take cuttings just in case and keep under shelter.

Yes exciting times again, another two pods off PP today all with seeds present in the corks, so I will send them off to BGI once they are thoroughly dry, I love PP too Dianne (she is a bit free with her favours though). Never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself, even her children have hot pollen.

I have had a busy but good day, Sunny but cold, that's good working weather so long as the Wind stays away, my Culebra is throwing up shoots from below Shaun, it is starting to look pleased with itself.
Something has had a feast of some seedlings, just big chomp marks, maybe large Grasshoppers, oh well, what was I going to do with so many anyway, if I see any more damage I may use a flame thrower !!!!
So many little frogs out there I just can't use anything that might hurt them though :(
Congratulations again Dianne she is a real beaut !

chrissy

This message was edited Jun 8, 2012 5:46 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2012
12:24 AM

Post #9103400

Sorry If I was not clear Allan, no I mean these days a single and a double can give you doubles- in the old days it was not easy, if that is what you want. Just check the background of the single to see if there are doubles in the parents or grandparents of the single (many singles have doubles in their backgrounds). I myself got a double from a single pod Parent Ludger's Windsong by a double pollen parent which was New Orlean's Lady.
What they find is that there is less of a problem with deformed blooms (sometimes double x double can cause this- like too much inbreeding) just look to the backgrounds.
The BGI data thing is fab for that.
Best of luck with your seeds, she breeds good ones ! :)

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012
12:45 AM

Post #9103402

Come dance with me my fair lady, Dianna again love her and that almost hidden 3rd skirt and the color value is all over the place at the moment for her.

Chrissy Culebra is a b56tard and he is doing well here also with the cooler weather, it looks like there could be a few more flowers on him before he retires for the winter, I have a 3 foot shoot that i think i may keep as a leader as the other main stem is leaning quite alot,
I think that i may have a pod on aurea(form) X.Culebra and it dose seem to be swelling up day by day so all digits crosses for a successful pod in a few months and what to do with those seed im sure every one on DG, BGI, IBrug & FB would wanna get there hands on such a rarity, probably the rarest cross in the coming few years i would assume!

I dont have PP flowering but i was given some sweet nectar from him to work on others i have got a few pods with PP as pollen parent so the pollen is hot also cant wait till next year to see it my self on PP and the pod collection the hussy collects hahahah

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 30, 2012
1:01 AM

Post #9103404

Allan, this is where she gets the short corolla teeth from...Angel's Swingtime, her pod parent..
33 pods, you'll be busy Allan...I wonder how our seeds would go on eBay?
Liz has some fabulous crosses, the ones that I bought from her last year, have grown well...
Fred has some beauties...OK I've weakened on a couple too.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 7:30 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012
1:17 AM

Post #9103406

yes but the new kid on the Block at ebay is Bluemchen Blume with the most fascinating crosses available
I have bought from Fred Summers, Volker Sanders, Elizabeth Fichtl and now most recently BB
I have been happy with all the seed that i have obtained from all the breeders and would recommend them to any one else.
You got to love Angel's Swingtime the color is so rich

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9103459

Shaun are you telling these suppliers to mark the Brugs as Candida crosses ?
It is important, else they may be grabbed.
I feel kind of nervous as I actually bought something on Ebay tonight ...I wanted one cross very much and I won it !
What a nerve wracking experience ! whew.
What the heck, I surely hope they make it here so I can dream about them over Winter. ^_^
Gee I got a shock when I won it !

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9103513

Yes you can contact suppliers to have them marked as candida but most of them now know that they should be marked that way any way

Chrissy to start of contact the supplier of the seed you won and just ask them to declare them as candida for your own sake
congrats on your first win on Ebay was it a good cross Dahhhh chrissy bought it of cause it is.
i won 2 tonight from Holland (*paradiesvoegelchen* ( 5 ) )
Brugmansia Creamsickle X.Superspot
Brugmansia Superspot X.Creamsickle
im so glad i got these crosses
and i have 2 more in line and no more for this year unless i can find from Liz Flitchl a cross of Luise X.Jacayna
My sister tough me a way to win every thing you go for and so far it has worked for me with the crosses that iv wanted other then 1 that went to over $26 for 10seed that was to expensive

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 11:04 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9103568

ha ha ha you bu**er I was after That first one, but I won the one I wanted most ...Creamsickle x Langenbuscher Garten, might have known it was you ^_^ ...so Congratulations ! hope they get here in one piece and those corks are full of seeds. They reckon over at BGI that it's a good hybridizer seller. (I sent off a note re Candida).
I just like Creamsickle because of my Twilight Time and it is not messed with by mankind too much. It may be awful crossed LBG, but I just have to have a go at it, I figure marrying a Creamsickle backgrounded Brug to another Creamsickle Backgrounded Brug may give it even better Stamina than it already has, flushing almost constantly, no weirdness going on, just beautiful blooms is what I have already so it is my personal choice for now. There is much talk of LBG giving white children despite it's own vibrant colour (says Liz from BGI) so that may give me what I want in terms of pure white multi skirted many tendrilled fragrant babies.
Yes I know we are hopeless ! but I can dream of it over Winter.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 30, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9104350

I am not, I repeat...NOT ... going to even look on eBay for brug seeds any further this winter.
I have a container full in the frig.
I will never have room for them all. I may have to move hubby out to his shed and start putting brugs inside .
I have lots of nearly pods still hanging on. . I am hoping they turn into strong pods.
What surprises me is that there seem to be quite a few hanging on GHA which I didnt pollinate.
The only brug any where around at the time was his twin brother and maybe a flower on aurea Lucas.
All the other brugs are way down the back and not in flower at the time.
I have everything crossed for some of the pods to hang on.
I do have one getting larger which is on an aurea Lucas cutting and can only be from GHA .
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 30, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9104356

Congrats on your eBay wins, Chrissy and Shaun...as soon as I saw Creamsickle, I thought of Twilight Time...
Even one the colour of Creamsickle would be very nice...
Which one went for $26+? Shaun...good money in some of the seeds...
Sometimes I forget to "watch" one that I like..so I miss the final figure...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 30, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9104358

LOL, Jean...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 30, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9104367

Wellllllll...
I can try...
lol

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9104391

Ha ha ha ...so funny, I was scared I would blow something up ! in Ebay.
I have too many Brugs too, but I wanted that Creamsickle cross.
Look the way I see it is, if a beautiful brugmansia plant was right there in front of you then you would buy that plant for a lot more than $26 .00 (I would) ...so even just one seed that gives you a nice Brug to love and work with, then that is cheap. If you get a beauty then it is priceless right ?
I bet Shaun's brug was a coldie , right Shaun ?
it's cold here this morning brrrr.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9104437

ooops forgot to say good luck with all your pods everyone, isn't it fantastic ?
Brug Explosion Ahead !!!
We dreamed it and now we are doing it !

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 30, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9104450

I'm staying away from the brug seeds on ebay, only because once you start looking ...
Plus, I've lost so many, in fact most, of those I bought simply because there were too many to properly look after. (Snails and wilt got most of them.) So many beautiful crosses gone, too many to enumerate, and too painful to remember! If I were to start again, I would concentrate on only a few batches of seeds rather than having so many and losing most of them.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9104546

Awwwwww noooooo I am so sorry to hear that cestrum,
when I had to go away for many weeks and also when busy I too lost many treasures. The Big Hail event set back my babies by two years, so depressing when that happens, but soon some lovely blooms appear and remind us that the struggle is worth it (for me at least).I wasn't going to buy any more seeds but the Heart wants what the heart wants, my heart wants that perfect white. ^_^.
For me, just one or two beauties sooth the pain of losing others, lets face it, we can't have them all much as we would like to, once we didn't have but a small hand full, now look.
Everyone has too many ^_^

Thanks for the seeds Shaun !
Now how does that song go ?
they're coming to take me away aha !!!!!!! lol !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBYrL7VmB2U&feature=related

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9104708

Good cross by the way ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/644343/
Autumn Treasure
x
Marbach
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/312150/

Should give great results IMO. ^_^ Shaun, good choice, I hope the seeds will sprout ok.
I could slap myself, I have some USA seeds sprouting now, well I suppose this will test my ability to grow babies over Winter darn it ! slap slap slap ! ...
Sitting in damp sand in a plastic lidded box of sterilized river sand ...eek now what ?
None are very special so I suppose I will just use this as an experiment,
your seeds will go into the Fridge until we get 20C Spring days. Along with er ummm lots of others .
(◕_◕) ...yikes Lol !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9104774

Forgot to say the Citrus fragrance won me, I love those citrus scented Angels ! Autumn Treasure is described as having such a perfume.
For me 50% of the Brug love is the perfume.
When when growing many roses, the scent was essential to the choices.
Which Brug smells the best in your garden ?
It's a bit of a hard choice since there are now so many different notes that waft forth.
We need that New Orleans Lady fragrance for sure, who could do without Clementine,GHA and BB ...aren't we lucky ? ^_^
What one would you choose if you could only have one ?

chrissy

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 30, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9104872

Thats easy, Chrissy...

Who else but GHA...

Nothing has come close for me here so far..

Its the strongest and loveliest perfume of all the brugs I have .

Maybe Mango Cornet would be equal with BB after that.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 30, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9104913

Zabaglione for me, because the perfume is there most of the day.
Clementine is intoxicating, but It's a night time perfume.
I can't say about Ivoire, he had a nice aurea perfume at first, but now he's way too tall to sniff.

I've just pruned Old Apricot, I have a Bob Hope camellia alongside it and the dead brug flowers had dropped on it and covered it up, I cleaned up OA and the camellia is full of flowers...very pretty.

Took some Ivoire and FFA cuttings a few weeks ago, I want them a bit closer to my nose in Spring.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9104914

GHA will always be a very special Brugmansia.

Look at this, Edna has a beautiful Creamsickle cross baby ...Creamsickle gives a big cabbage of a bloom if the Creamsickle Genes win.
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/23151-new-seedling-creamsickle-x-mango-crush/
get a load of the fragrance description.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 30, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9104932

Dianne around here, in the Winter, Clementine scent sticks around most of the time on chilly but sunny days, same with a lot of my Brugs ...it might fool them into thinking it is night or something. Clementine is really very strong in the cool weather.
The blooms have all been pretty fragrant in the wet cooler weather this past summer as specially the ones on shadier situations.
can't wait to have a whiff of Ivoire ...I was looking at it's leaves outside, they are identical to it's mother's leaves, beautiful !
The buds are still growing on Melissa Amy and Bengal Tiger, I hope they make it before the Frost.
I haven't seen anyone talk about Bengal Tiger, is it still out there ?

edited due to typo- leaving the puter alone now, can you tell I have had too much coffee- hubby says I am bouncing off the walls so I had better settle and stick with the Caro this arvo, see you all a bit later ^_^

chrissy

This message was edited May 1, 2012 3:21 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 1, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9105330

Dianna, the $26+ variety had Berhkonigin as a pod parent i thought it a bit rich at the start of the growing season but because it was at the start many people wanted seed and will pay for it LoL

Jean & Dianna, ebay is a nasty peace of programming it gets you in and dose not let you go because you can get a wide variety of seed at good prices

Chrissy sorry for out bidding you on that cross but i had been watching it fro about 5days and was not going to lose it to any one hahahahahah if i have great success with germination ill send a seedling to you hows that!!!!

I have 2 more sets of seed on Ebay that im looking at and yes ill win those as well my dear sister tough me a trick to win almost every thing with in the price range that i submit,

most of the seed i get from Ebay are warmies and are of good breeding, i hope all of us get what we want form ebay and the breeders there and soon it will be our turn to sell back to them hahaha how the tables turn in such a short space of time .

Good luck with all your pods guys and i hope the frost dont burn them off

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 1, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9106596

awwww that is lovely of you Shaun ...we can swap a couple of seedling babies next Spring if you like, but I did really get my favourite, that one you won was a second choice. They probably will be produce nice babies but gosh what a lottery huh ?
I received pieces of one of the grandkids today from Wayne. I hope he does not mind me posting the picture. I don't know how it will go until I meet it myself ...Wayne says it is about BB's size, it looks like it wants to turn apricot perhaps. As we all know a Brug needs to be watched for a full year to see what happens. It's getting too cold to really be striking cuttings but I will try, babying them through.It's kind of bashed up a bit but I think it is nice, it was covered in buds and I had to remove heaps of tiny buds off the cuttings. It is Alphonse Mucha x GHA.
Here it is ...thanks so Wayne ^_^

Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2012
1:15 AM

Post #9106676

I was out side checking all the pods that i have
I have over 50 crosses and the most exciting is Aurea(form) X.'Culebra' which is growing well, there are 3 Ivoire on 2 different plants , i also have the unusual cross of 1286 OA x.1023 AO so that will be interesting to see what happens in the up coming pod collection. i will also be documenting all the pods with a pic so i have a reference to the cross and information on the length & width of them with how many seed in each pod

i must have been very bizzy with 1286 OA as there are pods all over White Ruff about 10
but in most cases there are about 3 pods per variety,
aurea group is crossed and i have not as yet got GHA X.aurea (form) weather i have tried or it just dose not cross i will find out in the spring, but it looks like all other aurea's cross OK.
I have BB x.aurea(form) which could be interesting cross but wont know for a few years hahahaha

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 2, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9106752

Shaun ...all those numbers do my poor old head in , so long as you understand them and are happy that's great.

Good luck with your Culebra babies, wouldn't that be something ?

I have been out there checking around today and lots of pods are continuing to grow, despite cold wind, the sun has been doing it's job finally and you can see the growth daily. Rain is expected over the next few days.
Of course the pods on the doubles are inspected and spoken to, stroked and petted ..."pretty please be full of healthy little seeds" ...do you want ice cream and pickles? Mumma .
Well you just have to be excited over those ones.There are so many I haven't actually counted them all, I will tomorrow ...though it's a bit hard to get too excited about the open pollinated ones. But you never know ...guess we will find out in a couple of years if the weather permits, if we have any beauties out of them, after all there were only good brugs in bloom at the time.
It's pretty quiet with Winter approaching,we have silently slipped into May (5th month of 2012 -yikes) ...I don't expect we will see much activity once everyone gets hold of the Brug Bible, everyone will be busy reading and learning and trying to keep warm.
A great way to spend Winter.

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 2, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9108036

Hi all.
Too fab Alistair, thank you!
http://www.florilegium.com.au/products-page/tropical-and-subtropical-plants/huanduj-brugmansia/
No sleep tonight! :)
Defiantly a "Berocca" tomorrow... although upon the good doctor's advice, we changed that name to 'Mea Culpa'!
So much to read, look at and enjoy.
OMG, how many !!!! and :) can a person fit into a note! :)
W.
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9108050

LOL ))) :-)))

Thanks very much for 'HOPE' Chrissy: the lovely strong cutting arrived in very good order!
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

May 2, 2012
11:37 PM

Post #9108065

Lucky you Wayne !! Mine has a bit further to travel than yours, but I am hoping it will arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to a good read this week-end.
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9108067

Yay you have your book Wayne :) isn't it a true Brug Bible ? and what of the pictures ...it fair took my breath away !

Alistair Congratulations once again, it must feel like you poured your heart and soul into it ...it surely looks and reads like it, I feel blessed to have it.
I hope HOPE shines for you ...the colour is like nothing I have met before in my Brug garden, such a bright, hit you in the face yellow. It came from Jean as a little seedling,I hated to chop it because it bloomed at such a short height, but now a rooted cutting has gone to Vic and to you. I love it and I hope you and Jean will too.

Alan you are going to love the wonderful book too !
Does anyone else have theirs yet ?

This message was edited May 3, 2012 6:08 PM
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 3, 2012
12:19 AM

Post #9108073

I lied...
(Found out!:)
Made a cuppa read email and had to post here! :)

Generosity and kind spirit - true gardening lore!
Back to "The Book"...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 3, 2012
1:23 AM

Post #9108087

I haven't got ''The Book", but I have got a decent sized pod on FFA x ( Angel's Flight x Charleston)..yippee...the other one that was on it, fell off.

When I think of how long I have been waiting for this book to be completed and published, it's probably the entire time that I have been interested in Brugmansias...2008 I bought my first, discovered the DG forum in 2009, read about Alistair's intention to write and publish
a book on Brugmansias around that time and have been waiting ever since...

Now that it's only a day or so away, when it does arrive, I might not unwrap it, I might just stare at the package for a while, you know what they say about anticipation...
I know how pretty the cover is, I've seen some of the photos and I know the content will be fascinating, especially the use of the plant by the locals.
So will I put it on the table for a while and resist a look?

Not a hope in heaven!!!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2012
2:27 AM

Post #9108099

Oh Dianne congratulations, you got there before me, I did pollinate with that one FFA bloom I could reach, fingers crossed the seeds will be good. Isn't it exciting to have doubles to work with.
I have (deliberate pollinated) 4 good pods on Twilight Time- 2 on Heart of Gold (deliberate pollinated) crossed to each other. ...at least 2 and possibly three on Fernando (open pollinated) I used Fernando pollen on a Giant crossed seedling (Wayne's) of mine got three pods on it ...as to the other pods ...they are every where.I can't help but hope some of the high up TT blooms shared some pollen with some of the others, I am thinking possibly PP open pollinated pods on ...Poison, Aztec Gold, Buck's Fizz,Big Stripey,(one on a a huge seedling I haven't named yet- you know the one that you could use as a hat- must be 10ft up there(how will I harvest it?) ...BB with two chosen crosses and two open pollinated. PP smothered in pods. Love Potion no., 9 covered in donated pods, Earth Angel x Pink Smitty also covered in donated pods. 2 pods on Axelrose donated,2 pods on cestrum's Apricot (not sure which apricot it is but it shows a lot of versicolor), two pods on Maya donated,3 pods on Calamine,Tenshi has two open pollinated pods. I haven't even been down the back into the secret garden, to look at the Jungle Brugs ...I can see some FP pods though ...golly what on Earth has gone on, was it those cool nights we had instead of hot Summer nights ? never seen anything like this in all my years of growing brugs ... I may have some Arborea pods down in that jungle section, I won't go down there until I am sure the snakes re gone though.
Lots of dreaming over Winter ...how about you ? ^_^
The Brug Bible to feast my starving eyes on ...who could ask for more !

chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

May 3, 2012
3:27 AM

Post #9108118

Re FFA... Although some of my early attempts to pollinate FFA failed, I now have 4 good sized pods which appear to be set. 3 using Fernando pollen and 1 with Mango Cornet pollen. Also NO problem using FFA pollen on Fernando and Mango Cornet. Plenty of pods!!

Should have plenty of seeds to share when they ripen later in the year.
Allan..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9108129

They sound exciting Allan ...Congratulations, Fernando is sporting new buds, only small ,but you never know, they may bloom before the Frost gets here, if they do I hope to use him again, there are also more tiny buds on both TT, Heart of Gold and FFA.
In fact I am seeing many tiny buds once again on many of the brugs ...wouldn't it be wonderful if the frosty weather stays away for a while, we sometimes get really heavy fogs instead. This allows for easy crossing of some of the Brugs.
Good luck everyone !

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 3, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9108177

Too good Allan!
The pods forming here, 'Tantra' x ('Musketeer' x 'Fernando) are looking very Aussie and well! :)
LOL, need sleep here...
My nomenclature is getting confused with my punctuation!
'Musketeer' x 'Fernando' - seedling working name 'Frilly Dilly'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9108185

Hi there Wayne, Alan & Alistair hope all have been well
Chrissy looks like there are a s$^%t load of pods that you have there looks like the table is going to be worked on in a big way this winter & Spring with all the seed drying out.

Wayne Frilly Dilly looks stunning a very nice cross indeed.
It looks like every one has pods to nurture throw the autumn & winter months to have them ready for the spring propagation season we are going to have so many seedlings what to do with them all OH just grow them.

Alistair, I cant wait for your book to be delivered to me in the next few days i have the other book Brugmansia & Datura both in English & German as i had to wait for a few years to get the English version. Congrats again for the hard work that yourslef, Monika & Adolfo have put in to such a beautify book
Shaun
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 3, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9108315

Hi Shaun.
Thanks, all good here, any better I might be twins!

Just reading and loving, and thinking, and praying ... ... ...
Gosh, I can feel a Dusty Springfield song just about to happen! :)

'Frilly Dilly' is a bit of fun naming with a seedling from Allan.
Big hopes I hope with a 'Tantra' cross we have here. Four pods so the garden gods might bless us with a wish…

This message was edited May 4, 2012 1:22 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9108359

Very pretty trumpets,long and elegant.

Love Dusty ...I think all of our Brug adventures are Magic !
♫ .♥.•* ★¨`*•♫.•΄*.Έ.•΄♥ ♫
☀...SWEET DREAMS AND MAGIC... ☀☀
♫ .♥.•* ☀¨`*•♫.•΄*.Έ☀.•΄♥
┊ ┊┊ ┊☀┊ ┊ ┊┊ ☀ه
ه┊ ☀ ┊ ┊ ི♥ྀ
☀ ┊┊ ☀ه
ه┊ ☀!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlLgjjTh6NU&feature=related
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 3, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9108368

Trust you to be up late Chrissy ! :))
I thnk a bit of Dusty tonight!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9108376

I am always up late :)
Better say goodnight though, I know you are too excited to sleep after looking at The Book ...
You have to believe it's magic *smiling* goodnight !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3cj9fN28SQ
♫ .♥.•* ★¨`*•♫.•΄*.Έ.•΄♥ ♫
☀...SWEET DREAMS AND MAGIC... ☀☀
♫ .♥.•* ☀¨`*•♫.•΄*.Έ☀.•΄♥
┊ ┊┊ ┊☀┊ ┊ ┊┊ ☀ه
ه┊ ☀ ┊ ┊ ི♥ྀ
☀ ┊┊ ☀ه
ه┊ ☀!!!

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 3, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9108390

This message was edited May 4, 2012 1:54 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9109198

Good morning ...Friday already !

Wayne ????? lol what ever was the deleted post about ?

I wonder how late you stayed up looking at your new treasure.

I am off out into the Sun ...while we still have it.
Have to inspect the Pods/Buds etc and have a chat with them ("hurry upppppp" ..."please")

I am waiting to discuss the book when you all have it ...looking forward to the reaction.

chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9109305

Wayne you might want to google Frilly Dilly before using it as a working name !!!!!!!!!!:-)))))))))

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9109421

I did *blush * er ...google I mean ...urban something or other,
maybe why the deleted post ... ^_^
Celebrating the book with a sip or two of Champagne no doubt.
Who could blame him,
I have been outside without the camera (doing weeding etc ) and have just met Mia Culpa ...oh it so beautiful !
It is glowing from within ...you know that stunning colour we see in Buck's Fizz at it's best ! It was hiding behind the Aztec Gold and I didn't realize it was not Aztec Gold until I saw three huge glowing blooms at least three, possibly 4 times the size of Aztec Gold.
The pods on Fernando are visibly growing long and thinnish looking very Versicolor. Allan if you look in how long do your pods need to be before they stop lengthening ...I measured just a smidgin under 5 inches.
The Maya ones don't show the pattern like Axelrose (how strange).

Dianne did your Fernando bloom for you ? I seem to remember it was getting close.
There loaded buds on so many plants *sigh* like Wayne said *wishing and hoping* the icy weather stays away.
A late flush would be so Awesome !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9109435

So I will leave this before I go just to remind everyone how lovely it is ... even these stunning pictures do not do it justice, we all know to see it in real life is an awesome thing !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

May 3, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9109470

Chrissy... I do not recall ever measuring the length of a mature Fernando pod but I have just measured the length of my largest current pods(Mango Cornet pollen) and it is 9 inches. It appears to have stopped growing so I assume 9 inches is the pod length. Yes they are long and thin as in the typical Versicolor shape. Much different to the shape of the pods forming on your FFA which are shorter and fatter.

Still waiting for "the book" to arrive !!
Allan
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 3, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9109472

LOL Alistair! I thought you were going to tell me that the name had already been taken. :)
It was rather late!
I was actually thinking of a nursery rhyme my grandmother would recite...
"Daffy-down-dilly has just come to town
In a yellow petticoat and a green dressing gown".
Perhaps a little less provocative than the first choice. :)
That's my story anyway!

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 3, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9109477

Thanks Chrissy. Glad she is doing well for you.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9109478

LOL

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 3, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9109493

A frilly dilly sounds extremely painful...lol...we should never google a name we like, sure enough there will be another meaning...
I promise Wayne, I will only think of your pretty flower.

Fernando did flower, Chrissy...but it's top corolla was torn off in the wind storms...the inner corolla was the one that flowered...
It was quite large even though it was an inner skirt.
Look at the poor thing, it was determined to flower...could have been because I had threatened it with beheading if it didn't...I was only kidding because it's a nice shape as it is...it wasn't it's fault that the winds destroyed the flowers.

Got mine Allan...your's shouldn't be far away...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

May 3, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9109502

STOP PRESS!!! THE BOOK HAS JUST ARRIVED ON MY DOORSTEP!!
I am going to have a great week-end. Had a quick peek inside and can see lots of beaut photos. Thank you Alistair for creating this great book(with a little help from your friends).
Alistair, thanks also for signing it. That was most welcome but unexpected.

I Googled Frilly Dilly!! Not the pinking shears!!!
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9109555

When I look at those lovely long white necks it reminds me of the Swan Lake ballet ...please give it an elegant name because it deserves one.
Whoo hoo the BOOKS have arrived !!!
Congratulations everyone, I bet there won't be many posts this weekend ...next week we might have a "which picture do you love most " conversation. Oh Agony ! ^_^

Enjoy !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLnGG-Bde-I&feature=related
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9109607

It seems like I could be the last one to get the
As in at work I can't tell if I have it or not till 9 pm
I really hope that I don't have to wait the weekend
To get it on Monday morning I am sooooo envious
But wait for further post hahaha
Hope you all are having a great time in the book
And see things that I am yet to see
Shaun
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9109613

A LOT of help from my friends Allan :-)

I hope it's waiting for you when you get home Shaun: others sent out on the same day have arrived in Vic.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9109616

Oh Shaun there is one picture in there that I swear I will hear you scream (though you might faint). I already know which one will be your favourite, just you wait ^_^ Oh to be a fly on the wall when you see it.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 3, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9109620

Very pleasant surprise, to see that Alistair had signed my copy...
I had thoughts of getting Shaun to lug my copy as well as his own to Alistair's lecture to get it signed...
So your back is safe, Shaun... :-)
Thank you very much, Alistair...it was very considerate of you to sign our copies.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 3, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #9109643

Oh Dianne Iforgot in the book excitment ...poor Fernando awwww.
Never mind next flush huh ? it's worth the wait.

Wasn't it lovely of Alistair to sign the Books ?
^_^
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2012
12:03 AM

Post #9109658

Had he signed all the pre-ordered books from florilegia
I also hope mine is signed to cant wait, Gil told me that
A package came 2 day could be a book could be
A plant what about a bulb or 2

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2012
1:20 AM

Post #9109671

I reckon it's the BOOK :)
Hurry home mate !

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9109771

Hello jus a few min then back to book
here is a small collection of just Brug books i have about 20 solanaceae books but cant be bothered to take pics hahahah
Love the Book Alistair and thanks for the sign Wooow i dont need to take it with me either
good luck on the reading guys

Here is also the pod of aurea(form) X.'Culebra'
looks good i think

My blog has the adventures of Culebra

This message was edited May 4, 2012 11:38 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 4, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9110489

Nothing much going on with the brugs here at the moment.
The pods are still hanging on so hopefully I will end up with some by spring.
I moved all the pots close together down the back and next to the shadehouse as we are starting to get fogs so maybe frost could be next.

I will be watching all the coldies now as they are certainly looking much greener with the cold.

Still flowers opening on the aurea Lucas too.
I was surprised to see 2 ovaries still hanging on OE. I thought nothing was there but they are well disguised and up high .
I hope they turn into fat pods .
I never see any bees around my brugs but there are plenty of other insects and who knows what is out there at night carrying pollen around.

So glad you are all enjoying Alistairs's book. I will be waiting to see if the library eventually gets a copy.
I have never seen a new garden book of any sort available through the library , just the same old ones.
Hopefully they will realise this is one they should have.

Jean.

I will

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 4, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9110908

You're right Jean, the coldies really look happy...all of the Vulsas from last year are all bunching at the top..

Very tricky these ovaries, with the twins, one lot is growing well and the others are much slower and uneven growth too...maybe one of the ovaries hasn't been pollinated...frankly I thought that the second set of twins was going to drop off, but they held on and started slowly growing.

There is just the one flower to come on the Angel's Swingtime x ?...opening very slowly..you can just see the corolla teeth on the 2nd skirt..

Shaun, how fantastic if that pod grows to maturity...good luck with it.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9110920

I hope you sell enough plants to be able to afford one yourself Jean, I can't imagine having to give this back to a Library. Mind you they should all have a copy ...I vote we all send emails or letters to the Libraries in your district and ask after HUANDUJ, um I wonder how we pronounce it ?

Well I ventured down into "The Jungle" this morning while it was cold (figured the snakes would not be there at that temperature),
what to say about that ? well an enormous amount of work is to be done ...feels like I stepped into the Amazon.
You would have to see it to believe it.
As you know it has rained and rained, this frequently gave us huge winds which have done quite a bit of damage.
The Brugs have had limbs broken off and some of these have rooted and so I walked into what almost what looks like an ancient Brug forest. I have Arborea way up so high I can't see the tops, some of the trunks on the Brugs are at least 8/9 inches in diameter. It';s kind of breathtaking if you don't look at the choko vine running over the top of the old clothes hoist. The giant Strelizia has increased it's huge girth, the Ginko seems to have forgotten it is supposed to be a slow grower,everything is huge. Standing in there ...you feel yourself to be the size of a small small child ...that is what I love the most. To see things through the eyes of a child.
There is much work to be done ...soon, I can safely do that, meanwhile I will just enjoy the memory of feeling like a little child lost in Brug Wonderland ...sigh everything is so worth just that feeling alone.

Jean I found the buds on Super Pink x Apricot Queen (the little seedling you gave me) to be growing quite rapidly and I told them to please hurry up so you can see them. To be honest I expect white because Pink + Apricot usually is white unless Super Pink carries both colours, it's still exciting though so keep your fingers crossed.

I can hear those pages flicking out there and I am sure you all think the wait has been worth it.
Have a lovely weekend ...the weather here is pure champagne !!!!

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9110922

It looks just like Angel's Swing Time Dianne, to me anyway, isn't it great to be getting some brugs so very much like the ones we dream over overseas. love love love it !
Congratulations ^_^

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 4, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9110927

I'm coming to the end of the flowers on my Brugmansias...lots of buds forming but, I don't think that they will mature...
Ivoire is still flowering and the pods are holding on...the only one that I will let mature is the Ivoire x Topsy...
the others are all bee pollinated and there are too many...

Chrissy, how are you going with your future Brugmansia plantation hunt?...i suppose the weather has been so miserable in NSW, that you haven't felt like looking for a while...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 4, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9110936

Yes, Chrissy you couldn't mistake the parent of this one...a real chip off the old block in shape...
Now if only I could replicate Lemon Meringue...lol

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9110970

I look, but everywhere I look there is floods, fire, drought or druggies. I have decided to look over Winter.
Before I move, I will send lots of stuff out in case I lose stuff in the move. Then I can get some back.
Still don't know re North or South. I like the seasons, but I want to grow food and Brugs, so maybe towards the North,
Then I loved living down the South coast too, I am torn about it really, it will be very hard to say goodbye to this place but we must downsize to a more manageable place and no stairs because of age related issues in the future. The annual rainfall is important, frosts ? that sort of thing is important. Of course I have seen some places I would love, but can't buy until we sell some property (hopefully next year). Also places loved that rellies told me were prone to floods etc, so yes time is flying by and while at first I was excited, now I am a little nervous.
In the end I know I will enjoy the challenge, but it isn't easy to leave things you grew over a period of 21 years, because you know you can't do that again.I have said goodbye to many different gardens, but this will be the hardest, if only because of the memories of my Grandchildren, things like them laughingly throwing the rose petals around like snow flakes when they were tiny ...I can still see it in my heart though.
Awww now I am misty ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9110979

Sorry I wandered off before I said Ivoire is so much like Rothkirch before it turns pink ...wow. I await the buds on mine to open.
Good luck with your pods !

I remember vaguely, Lemon Meringue was open pollinated but the grower ( I think was Brenda Delph) seemed to think the pollen donor was Hawaiian Double. Don't count on it, because my memory isn't what it once was and ABADS is no more. Guess you would need to google for info ...good luck- my Heart of Gold can look quite a bit like it in sunny weather, sing out if you want to do a swap in the Spring ^_^ failing that I am hopeful of healthy Heart of Gold seeds if you want any then just let me know.

chrissy

This message was edited May 5, 2012 3:54 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9110986

Found a Super Pink x Apricot Queen in the BGI Data Base Jean - nothing very exciting ...ours might be better. I thought it might lack colour.

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/uploads/36386600_1201811881.JPG
Nice genes though.
I have a vague memory of JD's Can Can being the pod parent of L.M. Dianne, I think that is why I purchased my JD's Can Can cross.
edited to say you can look up the data base ...yes it was Brenda Delph.

This message was edited May 5, 2012 2:52 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 4, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9111048

Chrissy, my Super Pink x Apricot Queen has a bud still to open. It only had the two and the first was a wimp. It opened white . Nothing fancy then went limp in 2 days . I pollinated it and the 2nd bud will hopefully open soon. The plant has done it hard as I was annoyed at the slow growth so stuck it out in the paddock garden last year. . It does get shelter but was lucky to see water or fertiliser.
Just shows if they want to grow they will.

I am still waiting on DPG to open. It has to be the slowest flower I have seen here.
Maybe its not wanting to to stick it head out n the cold...lol

I like the sound of your brug jungle. Will be wonderful in spring..

Yes that pic is like my SP x AQ but looks a lot livelier.
It may be one that will go later.

pic is my SP x AQ

Looking up Lemon Meringue...says Hawaiian Double White ? x Butterfly ? ..Brenda Delph

I saved the old ABADS list and the iBrugs list

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

May 4, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9111056

A friend,gave me red hot pink, does it have a different other name.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 4, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9111058

Lemon Meringue has created a lot of speculation re it's parents, Chrissy and Jean, Hawaiian White Double and Butterfly
seem to be the preferred, but Brenda hasn't confirmed these, either one...as pollen or pod parent...
I remember asking about it on iBrugs a couple of years ago and I was told that it was really beautiful, even without an id for the parents, but some didn't like it's perfume...It stank, was the comment...lol

There have been some terrific crosses for sale on eBay...with Liz, Fred and Alice giving us a chance at some beauties and the seller that Alistair knows, whose name I have forgotten...
I made 2 purchases, Angel's Swingtime x Jacayna and Bernstein x Herbstzauber.
I like anything with Jaycana...one day I will be able to cross a few with Jaycana in the parentage...

The other cross is full of orange/yellow...so whatever comes of it will be strongly influenced by those genes...
Which incidently link back to Charleston on one side...and an Aurea on the other.

This message was edited May 5, 2012 5:00 PM
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

May 4, 2012
11:00 PM

Post #9111059

Here is the one I got from Bunning ( I swooped over )

Thumbnail by Gena1234

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9111062

I can see the registry Jean, but I recall a conversation in the forums where Brenda (who was Seed_Sprout) was talking about losing the tags (a cat accident I think) ...this is why there are question marks over the parents. She was discussing the possible parents but not confirming them.
Despite what the registry says, this is Brenda Delph's picture and look at the similarity to Heart of Gold.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/183572/

But I guess we will never know for sure, Brenda used Hawaiian Double white a lot in her crosses.

Awww how sad about your Super Pink x Apricot Queen, but really in the beginning most crosses were white.
I think a lot of experienced hybridizers know that most of the crosses we get will be white. I think Brenda Delph was very good at her crosses through experience (how else does one learn). Alphonse Mucha has Apricot Queen in him and Zabaglione too, so I would use that pollen on one or both of them to bring out the colour. Otherwise ditch it and use a more proven colour producing parent. I love a nice white myself.
We have a lot more options to work with these days.
Exciting times.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 4, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9111063

Gena, according to an article in the Your Garden magazine written by Alistair a few years ago...Munchausen Pink was being sold as Red Hot Pink...so possibly yours is Munchausen Pink.
He also mentioned that another strong pink, real name Ecuador Pink, is being sold as Hot Pink...
Munchausen (Red Hot Pink) has much longer whiskers(corolla teeth)...so maybe that will help.
Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 4, 2012
11:46 PM

Post #9111067

Hi Gena glad you found us again ^_^
how are the temperatures up your way ?
We were down to 8C last night here so Winter is closing in fast, the day was lovely though, so wonderful to finally see the Sun.

Dianne I saw the conversation many years ago in ABADS (sadly a lot of valuable stuff is now lost forever there). Before L M was released.

I too now am an Ebay tragic ...I purchased a Jacayna cross off Liz and a couple of other crosses from her. Liz seems to know her stuff so I am happy with that. Looking forward to seeing how the Dutch seeds go, hoping they get here, for a start. Her stuff looks beautiful too.
So I am guessing the BOOK has inspired everyone even more than ever ?
It did me and I didn't think that was possible ...to be inspired more than before.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 5, 2012
12:48 AM

Post #9111076

I noticed on BGI as well Chrissy, a lot of the conversations have been wiped by people who have left...
very frustrating...as well as all the ABADS stuff that went with that site.

I am very fond of Frosty Pink and I think that Jaycana is a beauty, different colours of course. but big and beautiful.
Jean, the full face pic of your Genevieve x Rothkirch in the unnamed seedlings on BGI "Senorita Rosada", is lovely..

I just went out to give them all the final night time check and found a big bud on one of the young ones...it had been to small to bother cutting the top off, I had left it where it was and so I had to dig it's pot out of the ground and bring it under the veranda...if the bud had been tiny I would have left it...but it's possible that it might flower in a couple of weeks...It's an Angel's Sunbeam x (Bergfeurer x Superspot)...sounds nice...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2012
1:37 AM

Post #9111082

Well Liz says Jacayna opens up the skirts, so I figure that could be very useful in the Brugs down the track. Frosty Pink is a Monster Brug here, it is in the Ground and it is huge ! despite cutting heaps off it all the time, I think it is responsible for most of the new plants shooting up from broken limbs, though it is hard to tell until I clear the grounds of overgrown everything.
That little bud sounds interesting ...good luck with it I hope it opens for you.

chrissy
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

May 5, 2012
2:08 AM

Post #9111087

We are having wonderful day and night the bugs love it and grow more, they do not like the real heat we have, day 28 nights 23, well get cooler soon.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9111089

I also have a few crosses with Jacayna in it i think it is a beautiful looking bloom a Flaminco type dress and color to match so im sure that we will be seeing them come through n the next 18-24 months

Jean i did have a few seed of HDW but they were old and did not germinate so i am dis-appointed but that's they way the cookie crumbles or seeds don't germinate what ever floats your boat

Chrissy where ever you go Just think of the body and what would be best for it and then the garden im sure north is better as the more sun the more heat the better the body responds to it and there for the garden gets more attention which then is beneficial to the body so it seems like the circle of life is going to happen for you soon
Good luck

The Culebra pic is amazing and was knocked back by it the man dose know how to grow dose he not Chrissy,

the garden is slowing down i have a few plants with buds but i figure that they wont mount to much in the cold weather,
aurea [Colchester Rd] has a few blooms but it is very protected and gets morning sun if any hahaha
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

May 5, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9111090

Thank you
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

May 5, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9111125

Here is big Y

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 5, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9111776

Magnificent Gena,

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9111949

What a lovely flush on your Brugmansia Gena ...it is getting a bit too cold here overnight for anymore flushes.
I don't know if any of the buds on my plants will make it.

Anyone got freshly germinated seeds like silly me ?
If so how will you deal with them ?
I have a very warm sunny Bedroom, 2 actually that are on the "hot" side of the home, I am thinking if I put them in there, they may be ok through the Winter (I can close the blinds at night.). I am thinking so long as I turn the babies every day so they don't lean over towards the window it may work. 3/4 months is a long time but I think it is worth a try. I am thinking they may get too leggie, any opinions ?
I don't have a greenhouse, and those smaller ones will just rip to bits in the wind.
What will you do with your seedlings if you have any newly germinated ones like I do ?
I know I shouldn't have but I am weak ...lol !

It's another very cool start to the day but with lovely sunshine.

Jean I hope you sell all your plants today ...good luck !

I hope everyone is enjoying their beautiful BOOK.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 5, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9112055

Lots of Sphaeros germinating now,Chrissy...they love this weather...
If Lucas hadn't joined when he did, I would still be trying to germinate them in Spring.
They do grow of course in Spring, but they are so much happier now...

My warm babies will just have to tough it out in my little plastic SH...my own seeds are growing well at this point...the PP x BF and the BF x PP, the GHA x Angioletto haven't come thru yet.

OT...cestrum are you still growing the sprouts?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 5, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9112067

This is the first year that I won't be bringing any plants into the sunroom over winter. I've gotten rid of the tender tropicals (well, they died and I didn't replace them), the canopy has grown outside and I already have a couple of mini-greenhouses outside, so nothing inside this year: what's outside can survive or die. I found that too many seedlings died, mainly thru wilt and those gnats(?) in the soil. For some reason, seedlings growing in cells sitting in a little bit of water in closed mini-propagators (i.e. with the vents in the lid shut) thrive outside; grown in the same circumstances inside they wilt/get infested by gnats, even when kept drier.

I found that outside, in the mini-greenhouse, the seedlings grew so well they were squashed against the sides of the greenhouse wall. With the extra humidity inside the greenhouse, those stems squashed against the walls (1) grew long and lanky, like hanging plants and (2) sprouted roots, like aerial cuttings. But you shouldn't have this problem inside and I should have potted them up and moved them out sooner.

That's just my experience; try it and see how you go. I would retain a few seeds from each cross to sow in spring as insurance, though.

I have several cells of abutilon seedlings still in a closed mini-propagator outside, despite the cold nights (fell to 4 deg. last night). This one is from that nodding yellow abutilon that I found growing by the compost bin: it set seed and the seed germinated! I've noticed too that the leaves of the parent are smaller than the ordinary 2m-high abutilon, so am wondering if it has A. megapotamicum in its lineage ...

This message was edited May 6, 2012 12:48 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 5, 2012

Post #9112072

[quote="Seachanger"]Lots of Sphaeros germinating now,Chrissy...they love this weather...
[/quote]
Something to look forward to!

[quote="Seachanger"]

OT...cestrum are you still growing the sprouts?[/quote]
I stopped over the warm period because they didn't do so well in that weather; might have to start up again. The edible sprouts, I mean. As for the brug seeds germinated in the sprouter, a tiny portion of the corks (i.e. unpeeled) germinated and I've noted that they were potted up into seedling cells but I don't know if any are still alive outside.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9112085

this is my first year of sowing seed late in the season
Have finished tho,
they are germinating well but im sure that the fungus and moulds will move in soon as the soil holds the moisture a lot longer
I have 2 containers in the sun room with perlite as it's growing media so im not sure about that either
i do have 2 mini hothouses about 4foot tall and am looking at a 10 x 6 foot hot house when i get back from Bali in 2 weeks
i will not be on line from Friday as i leave then and come back on the following Friday there is a Loreal conference there,
i will also be hunting down to see if there are Brugmansia's there and if they also supply seed??? It will be an interesting trip as im heading there with my boss. a very laid back man who wants to just sit by the pool (well he has been there a number of times probably seen every thing he wants)

I am now in the process of telling Gil what i need done in the week im away so that all my babies dont curl up and die on him cos i could get mad[i am mad] asking him to do this for a week but who else can i get to do it he knows a lot of my routine and should be OK i hope

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9112137

Thanks everyone for the input, yes I have little coldies starting to pop up (thank you Shaun) I am not worried about them in the cooler outside, I was thinking that these tiny seedlings could go into cups with a plastic bag to keep the humidity in (and the bugs out). take it off to let them breath for a while every now and then. I don't have rot problems usually (I sterilize washed river sand) and only use that. The water thing hmmm. Didn't lose even one 4" seedling on my verandah in the Winter in the beginning, I would let them start to droop a little and only give them a tiny bit of water then. They sort of just sat there like they were resting. As soon as I saw a bit of movement in growth I started to use weak seasol once a week.
Tiny seedlings in Winter are a new thing for me ...I will try my best, mind you they are already 3 inches tall in just days, but the root systems are not developed enough of course to leave them out there.

Good luck with your seeds cestrum ...I hope you get beautiful lanterns, they don't seem to worry too much about cold weather here. As for everything else, there is always next Spring. I have some cute little seedlings of yours growing ok here. Meanwhile enjoy your freedom from heat.

Shaun, fungus and rot probably is more a water issue I think, the gnats seem to hang around anything very damp or rotting (yes outside here is a shocker after all the rain.
I hope your babies will be well cared for, good luck in your quest for Brug seeds over there, I have an idea it may be too hot for Brugs to thrive. Looking forward to hearing all about it, take pictures please ^_^ and enjoy.

Yes Dianne we are all excitedly waiting for the first coldie blooms from you Southerners :)
Go babies , go ...

This message was edited May 6, 2012 2:25 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 5, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9112195

I'm back from the T&T.. Went really well and I even sold a brug.
Well grown cutting of GHA that I convinced a lady she must have.

chrissy , I have lots of seeds that have just sprouted and some I just planted as an experiment.
They all live outside in the mini greenhouse inside the large greenhouse. I refuse to pamper them.
Last years lot survived well so this lot should too.
The greenhouse gets any sun there is all day so no hot water bottles for them.

My coldies are certainly looking better here too Dianne.

Shaun , you had better send a note to this little DPG and tell it to open its flower.
It has been looking at me for so long now.
Hope you find brugs on your trip.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 5, 2012
11:19 PM

Post #9112213

Well I thought about it and decided to do it this way.
I put them into a narrower plastic cup so as to fit into another slightly larger cup (re simulating double glaze lol ...) then put two plastic knives on either side of the outer rim to make a small frame for a strong little thick but clear plastic bag ...they have gone out into the big bad World under some shade-clothe into Polystyrene boxes on racks, I am hoping that will work as mini shade/ glass houses. They will be aired every two or three days and spritzed with water if required, this allows a few inches of growth room too, if we are lucky enough to have milder weather. It will be interesting to see how they go ...fingers crossed.

Glad you had a good day at the Market Jean, once you have flowing plants it will be easy to sell your Brugs. That cute little DPnG is irresistible, it does stay green for a long time but it also stays around for a long time once it blooms. Hopefully it won't be much longer before it is revealed to you. ^_^

chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2012
11:26 PM

Post #9112220

I find seedlings here are fine through winter [minimum winter temp 0C], but it's good to keep them warm until they have finished germinating.

Fungus gnats on valuable seedlings are one of the very few things I use chemical insecticides on [water the pot with confidor], because they can cause so much damage to seedling roots so quickly... But as Chrissy says, if the soil is not too wet, they should not become a problem.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
12:35 AM

Post #9112260

Dear, Dwarf Pink 'n'Green,
I have heard that your been naughty for Jean, when i sent you there i did ask if you could be kind to all of the growers like you did with me this season,
Please show your head and the blush on your cheeks for dear Jean before the winter sets in for her.

Im also glad that you have sold a few plants this may get that book a bit quicker but as chrissy stated it is best with a flowering plant to show them off and when i used to go to markets i had a book of photos of the plants that i did not bring also this will help with selling other things that are not ready or shooting at that time of market day

I used to do about $300-500 per day with all of my perennials and the like, and it only cost me about $12-15 for the stand/Stall

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9113131

yippee ...the seeds from Gisela Kuhn got here in less than a week !

Can't wait until Spring ...it's very cool this morning brrrrr, cloudly here, expecting showers but then they have been wrong a few times this week about the weather. Saving these ones for spring.

In the cold weather the Brug blooms can stay green for a really long time ...they wait for warmish sunshine or so it seems.
re growing tiny seedlings indoors, I think the air would be too dry perhaps,in Winter you have heaters etc, plus any odd chemicals from sprays drifting around, you know like windex, perfume, air fresheners etc, who knows.

chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

May 6, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9113200

Good to hear that your seeds got to you OK Chrissy. I have been waiting 2 weeks for 2 packets of seeds from USA(Liz) and still no sign of them. Perhaps they are being inspected by AQIS? If I do get them I will keep them in a cool place and sow them in Spring as Winter is on the Way.. got down to 12 C this morning in Brisbane.
Allan
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9113226

chrissy i had all of mine confiscated by AQIS as they were not declared,
I have spoken to her and she was willing to resend it's been a week since then,
it's hard when i cant speek or wright German other then Google translator and she can not read english haed work but we got a 3rd party involved Hulmet he was kind to translate and interprut for both of us..

Alan i would not worry to much about seed from Liz all come through with no problems i have waited longest about 15days quickest was about 5 days from the US

it really depends of how lazy australia post is on the day or week to see how long it takes

Chrissy i hope that you got a great few crosses from Gisela as they are stunning even the ones that have no Pollen parents like Natascha X.
Creamsickle are back up for bids if that's what your also looking for??????

there is only 1 person to be sucked in by the ebay bug CESTRUM and im sure there will be some thing out there that she will desire but Cestrum seems very strong headed and my not fall to temptation.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 6, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9113251

[quote="DeadlyNight"]chrissy i had all of mine confiscated by AQIS as they were not declared,
I have spoken to her and she was willing to resend it's been a week since then,
it's hard when i cant speek or wright German other then Google translator
[/quote]
Google Translate gives me this: Bitte schreiben Sie die volle botanische Name auf jeder Packung, Brugmansia x candida (this is where you should insert the cultivar name, so that the seller is in no doubt about what to write).

[quote="DeadlyNight"]
there is only 1 person to be sucked in by the ebay bug CESTRUM and im sure there will be some thing out there that she will desire but Cestrum seems very strong headed and my not fall to temptation.
[/quote]

More like a recovering addict! But I have been called strong headed :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9113265

Allan for some reason it takes approx two weeks to a month from the USA.
Perhaps just because of the volume of mail to be processed over there. It takes even longer to go to QLD for some reason (I know from way back because I got my seeds earlier than Judy did every time-Judy ordered them on my behalf at the same time as she ordered hers).
Way back ... I didn't know how to order the seeds and I used to send a list and the money to Judy, she would do mine while doing hers, we couldn't work it out except to think perhaps they came into Mascot (Sydney) first. Mine (the ones from Seed_Sprout were inspected(and passed) as well, so it may also depend on that too.
So hang in there, luckily it isn't Spring here so a little delay won't hurt.
When you store your seed in the fridge do you put them in a glass or plastic container ? I haven't done it before, so it's new to me. I usually ordered my seeds in the USA Autumn because they were very fresh, ready to plant in our Spring.

Has anyone had any problems with seeds coming in from Liz ? I don't think so, I can't remember if they did, she has a very good reputation.
I have had one lot of seeds take 5 weeks from Canada but there was a postal strike, my draw from the BGI seed bank was pretty quick, they are the germinating ones I am doing at the moment, the ones I put out in the little seedling humidy cribs seem to have worked just fine, I planted them with just the cot leaves on 3/4" stems, I was very worried about the long stalks becoming too weak inside, hence putting them outside for some sun, they didn't wilt or blink and look quite happy after 8C overnight ...so we will see how they travel. I have had outsize seedlings die down in the really cold Winter we had once, but they did come back from a rooted filled 4"cup.

Alistair if you drop by ...could you tell me if you ever had seedlings from Poison grow and bloom. The pod is so strange in shape, looks almost like the pods on GHA ...short and wide. Found three more on it today.

Mia Culpa is the exact colour of Bucks Fizz today, Aztec Gold is a stunning deep orange too, they look like brothers except for the sizes and all glow like embers in a fire ...Beautiful ! Just the thing to brighten this chilly day.

chrissy

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

May 6, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9113287

Shaun... I know I probably should not be worrying as I have received seed from Liz in the past without a problem, however I see that you have already given feedback to her LAST WEEK for seeds that you purchased at the same time as me. Perhaps tomorrow's mail will bring some joy?

Chrissy... I always use a sealed glass jar and keep them in the crisper part of the fridge. Have had brug seeds over 12 months stored this way and they germinate very good. I am guessing they would keep for several years when stored this way.
Allan

This message was edited May 6, 2012 10:32 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9113304

*grinning* cestrum ^_^ ,
I think cestrum has hundreds of her own from her beautiful crosses.

Shaun did you order a boatload ? I only saw 2 crosses for sale from that site and I grabbed my Creamsickle one, where were the others ? It still says no seeds left. Is there a link ?
Or did you buy her store out :) That has made me a little nervous to try again, Hopefully the seeds are good, I get worried when the corks have that grey look ...could be some sort of wash I guess, I will soak in peroxide when the time comes to plant them just in case.
They probably didn't open my puny envelope (it did arrive opened and resealed) no invoice or anything, just seeds with a name, no candida written on it as I instructed. Just lucky I guess.
I hope you get it sorted out.
I hope the ones from Liz come through ok ...7 pkts may draw attention, hopefully not. Liz knows how to mark them correctly.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9113321

Thanks Allan ^_^I thought so, just checking.
Very glad to hear you had no problems with the ones from Liz, I didn't think there would be a problem.
well good luck with all the seeds everyone, both local and from across the pond.

Shaun I will sing out when mine arrive.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 6, 2012

Post #9113325

[quote="chrissy100"]*grinning* cestrum ^_^ ,
I think cestrum has hundreds of her own from her beautiful crosses.
chrissy[/quote]
Seeds, certainly. Seedlings, no. Too many casualties.
Although I might stick to my own crosses from now, as it's a lot cheaper. Plus, I can usually *make* more if necessary ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9113337

My exact intentions too !
But The BRUG BIBLE weakened my intent ... *BLUSH*
couldn't help myself, I need therapy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eETES1xP-IM

edited to say Bad as in good !

chrissy

This message was edited May 7, 2012 1:54 PM
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9113386

[quote="chrissy100"] Alistair if you drop by ...could you tell me if you ever had seedlings from Poison grow and bloom. The pod is so strange in shape, looks almost like the pods on GHA ...short and wide. Found three more on it today. [/quote]

There is something very odd about 'Poison'! - "aurea" fruit, very thick-textured suaveolens flowers, and distinctly thick leaves. One *possible* explanation is that it may be tetraploid [four sets of chromosomes], in which case, when it is crossed with a normal diploid [two sets], it will produce triploids [three sets]. Triploid plants are sterile [they flower but have unviable pollen and ovules]. I did grow some seeds from it a few years back because I wanted to see if the progeny would be sterile, but they never flowered [can't remember why - neglect probably!!]. So it would be very interesting to see what you get!

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9113389

Chrissy, I bought 7 varieties from Gisela but i am now restricting all my buys to
example sam x. Xena and reverse Xena X.sam this is all i will be buying during the winter and nothing more as i have quite enough to play with in spring

Gisela had all the list again that was there 2 weeks ago so there are some for sale, you could also wright straight to her and ask her directly if you can buy from her & not Ebay this will save her $ also

try saving her as a favourit seller and looking that way to, Chrissy i did not buy all every thing she had i did not have the money after the BOOK hahah (not)

i have only had 1 problem with Liz and her seed
it was that she put the labelled bags in the envelope and sent it with out seed funny she had sent over 100 orders out that week and some things like this can and would be expected, She was so kind and filled the order and sent it to me i have not yet had to give a bad report other then 1 from US not very important but a lot of confusion i just told them i will never buy from them again 3 months and still no product

I would defiantly buy from liz in the future

This message was edited May 7, 2012 2:54 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9113403

Thank you Alistair ...yes I am interested in the Poison Babies ...the inner workings looked so strange in the bloom, I found The Antlers were 50%clinging to the stamen, while 50% were hanging away from it, the stigmas that were away from the stamen seemed to be almost fused together and bending backwards away from it, just really different to any I have observed before.I was not crazy about Poison to start, but I find it very unsual, striking and quite wonderful now it has reached a mature size, now I have Mea Culpa blooming near it, I can't wait to see the huge display next Spring. Mia Culpa was quietly growing away until it got quite large, I was not taking much notice because I thought it part of something else. Then pow, these big huge orange blooms that with be such a knockout next to Poison next spring, the mind boggles at that picture !

chrissy

This message was edited May 7, 2012 4:07 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9113423

Chrissy Typo O
Mia Culpa = Mea Culpa

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9113424

fixed, too much coffee gives me nanna moments ...thanks Shaun :) Mea Culpa is stunning ! spelling mistake was Mea Culpa :)

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #9113427

My cousin Brad Muller (Chrissy he is a friend of yours) bought a sanguinea with a pod on it in the last couple of days he has been asking me about how soft it should be
This is the pic he sent me when he opened the pod there were no seed at all it seemed like a false pregnancy no embryo's to say there should be,
What would the mechanism be for this happening he was so wrapped to have a pod and that he would be a brug dad in spring with my help (that sounds so wrong)
I will be visiting his mum soon and to his surprise i will be taking a few plants to him also
can you help out
Alistair this is where i think you could really help
Shaun

Thumbnail by SolMan

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9113433

I rather agree about 'Poison' Chrissy: it kind of grows on you!!

Usually the stamens are like normal suaveolens, with the anthers stuck to each other in a tight sheath around the style: maybe you looked at a weird flower??

It has Frosty Pink as a parent (ordinary white suaveolens as the other), so it should carry pink.

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2012
10:33 PM

Post #9113434

Shaun I think it sometimes just happens that pod development starts even when there will be no viable seeds. Usually the empty pods don't reach full size and go soft.

Normally sanguinea fruits are still quite firm until long after the seeds are ripe. You can sometimes tell if the seeds are ready by shaking the fruit near your ear (still on the plant :-)) and if it rattles faintly, the seeds are ready. Sometimes if you wait for the fruit to start to soften, the seeds have already germinated inside...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 6, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #9113439

umm yes I guess it was a six pointer, next flush I will look at them again ...still looked double everything, sort of fused.
I love it for it's almost prehistorical ambiance. Big strong ...overwhelming. Awesome!.

Shaun sorry your cousin was disappointed ...I am sure you will give him a lovely surprise when you visit.

chrissy

This message was edited May 7, 2012 5:00 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
11:27 PM

Post #9113453

Unfortunately i dont have poison to see what is happening but i have it's Brother White Ruff which also has White suaveolens X Frosty Pink
the genes are so diverse and should be so that we can get as many varieties as possible from just 1 cross
I appreciate that Alistair has done a far bit of work to get these plants to us and they will noe be the starting point to many of out crosses
White ruff X.frosty pink so crossing it back on it's color parent should bring out a small amount of pink babies i will see in the future
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 7, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9114450

Shaun, DP&G didnt listen to you. She is still hiding her head.
There is a second bud on Super Pink x Apricot Queen which will be out before her.

I have Poison here but it just grew to around 7'made a Y and sat there. I hope to see a flower next year.

I still have maybe pods hanging on so I should see at least some of them mature.

There is a pod about 2" long on aurea Lucas which has been there since before all the other brugs flowered so it has to have been pollinated from GHA who is standing above the smaller plant.

I noticed the pod when I was pollinating GHA and I didnt do any pollinating earlier because nothing was out except GHA.

I have moved a lot of the brugs in pots which I have cut back. They should be all ready for winter now. I have left untrimmed any that look like they have pods .

The other aurea Lucas is flowering still, with 4 more large flowers.
The 2 are in pots and only around 20" high . They are as prolific in flowering early as GHA.

I will pollinate one flower as there is already a pod forming on this aurea Lucas too, and I dont want to give them too much work to do through winter, keeping too many pods going.

Jean.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 7, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9114464

Hi Cestrum!
I have a shelf - 6 x 200mm pots of your (Ipswich) 'Knightii' x ('Big Floppy' Old Apricot) all going well! Some with felty Knightii leaves - lovely!
These will be potted up to 300 come late winter. As you know, I have a great love of OA and K. So thank you.

Very much enjoyed reading your work Alistair on 'Old Apricot' and also 'Knightii'.
Your wonderful book - nowhere into my "real" reading yet...
I have to take in every photograph and appreciate the context before too many pages are turned.
That OA at Bronte House (Simon's pic) is the parent (veg. cutting) of ours!
Long story!:)
The scarlet bench at 'Flora' is long gone - as too the OA standard. Both victims of the elements. However, OA (Bronte clone) is being trained once again in that place, and the bench has been replaced with a more substantial bottom rester!:)

Such is a garden.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 7, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9114490

Jean how cold does it get in Winter down there ? I wonder if the cold is delaying your brug blooms ? I know after this cooler Summer I didn't have the usual displays I normally get. Knightii for example is just starting to bud up now (too late sadly).I hope you have a wonderful Spring display coming up.

Wayne, how exciting to have the Knightii crosses from cestrum to look forward to ! yes we may just have an apricot double out of that lot !

Yes me too re The BOOK ...keep going back, I get so excited over this or that, all else flies out the window !
The pictures are there forever now, though I am sure your beautiful Flora will continue to evolve as all gardens do ...into yet another much loved Eden.

Another very brisk morning here ...brrrr but Sun again ! ^_^ ,go the Brug pods and buds !

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 7, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9114715

Chrissy, once winter gets here it can get down to around 6C but we have had days down much lower.
During autumn it ranges widely from around 22C down to 5C .
This is only an average but it is colder around here than closer to the ocean.
We dont usually get the extreme summer heat either, although there are days when I feel like a roasted lamb.
One thing about this part of Vic, is that plants in my garden develop to be very hardy .
Having clay soil means it goes from slush to cement over the year.

I am sure that as my plants get larger canopies they will flower much better. ( they had better or they will be out, making room for those that do )
I am sure that once all my seedling brugs have had time to mature , they will be stronger.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 7, 2012
11:35 PM

Post #9115122

Gosh that is a surprise Jean we regularly get down to 2C and Summer (in normal times) is truly a shocker ! In winter the wind chill (from the Blue Mountains) makes it feel even colder. We have had -5C one Winter-what a shocker that was !
I am looking forward in the next couple of years to finding a little friendlier place (climate wise) but there is much to be missed here, there aren't many places where you can grow Tropicals and stone fruit in the same garden. I will miss that. The heavy rich clay soil here is awful in the rain, but if worked well it is very fertile,the crops around here in the market gardens have failed in the last three rainy years ...guess no where is perfect and we must make do with what we have since we cannot control the weather.

cestrum your weather sounds similar to ours except we get heavier rain I think, but it has come after 7 straight years of drought prior to 2007. Our dam (Warragamba) and our own dam here are overflowing, mind you we will need it when the drought returns.

Dianne and Shaun, how cold does it get where you live in Winter ?

When I was in Junee with my brother I remember thinking how desolate everything looked in Winter, terrible heavy frosts daily that would last until 10/11 am and return in the evening quite early.
Couldn't imagine the Angel's Trumpets surviving such a place, yet they grow wonderful crops of things in Summer. The soil was almost sand.

Injured my wrist this morning, so my typing is a bit limited at the moment.
I hope all your Brug babies are doing well and the pods and buds still cling on for dear life.
The Ginko is turning butter yellow (this is way ahead of the usual time) the persimmons are colouring up beautifully, also early.
No matter what the calender says, Winter is here already.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 8, 2012
12:32 AM

Post #9115133

Pretty mild here on the Bellarine, Chrissy...we can go to 40C in the middle of summer and down to -1 in winter, but that minus is an extreme...usually around 5C minimum in the winter, the sea on 3 sides keeps it mostly pleasant...we rarely get frosts...
Our soil will grow anything, even when we lived across the road from the beach, which was very sandy of course, just a little mulch and away it would go...same here, sandy but very fertile.
My deciduous trees have just started to colour...
I will lose the tops from the tallest Brugmansias in winter, but they soon take off again...I will be very interested to see how Ivoire takes the weather in all the different situations...it's the first time that he has been taller than the fence.
Dianne.
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

May 8, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9116143

My seeds from USA arrived yesterday in my mail box!! Not opened by AQIS but did take over 2 weeks to arrive. Whether you like Ebay or not, buying O/S seeds from reputable sellers like Elizabeth Ficht(and others) centainly adds to our gene pool here in Oz. All looking good for future hybridizing.
Allan..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 8, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9116171

Great news Allan !, thank you for letting us know.
Yes it's wonderful.
I know how to use Ebay now ^_^
Don't know if it is a blessing or a curse ... :)
Only kidding of course, I hope mine get here ok, the ones from BB got here in very quick time.
Hope you get the kind of seedlings you are dreaming of.
From the results seen so far, cestrum, Dianne and Jean as well as your own Fernando, I think it is marvelous result.
We are supposed to reach 26 C here today ...amazing !
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 8, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9116245

This bit of rain is great for the brugs. They all have lots of new growth and must be thinking its spring with the few mild sunny days.
I found OE has about 8 new buds which may drop off anyway as the cold comes in.
It does show she is good at producing flowers even if they are all scrambled in the buds.
She may improve as she matures. I hope so with her being a triple.

Even the ones I just cut back are full of new leaves.

I see lots of new buds on GHA but that his usual form . I have pods that look like hanging on now so I am pleased.

Glad you are all getting your seeds. I have never had any problems with getting them in

Time will come when we are all sending our seeds overseas.

I tossed a few seedling brugs a week or so ago.. I had multiples of some and not having the room for so many of each cross, I I just pulled the whole thing out of the pots and threw over under the old nectarine tree. Looking there yesterday, I see the darn silly things are growing.
The open root balls are laying on the ground and the small trunks have turned up to the light .
I would say they have decided to show me they are better than those I kept...lol

They can stay as they are and if they want to grow they are free to do so .
Be funny if I get something really pretty from any of them.

Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 8, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9116285

Go throw some compost over their bare roots Jean, I would.

Yes same here I went outside and found a flush building up on so many plants,if the sun stays around you never know !
The flush on Mea Culpa is huge and I am really excited about that, it is so beautiful. I found yet more seed pods on plants that I had not noticed before, because they were hiding in the Calyx. That little minx PP and her progeny must be spreading her favours far and wide.
Your little German seedling looks like I may see the buds open with a bit of luck.
Fifi even has pods,it really looks like almost every plant that bloomed this past Summer is sporting pods, wow I think you could be right, some seeds will be going overseas at this rate. A cooler moist Summer seems to have worked miracles !

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 8, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9116512

I totally agree, Chrissy...I have pods on everything except Bruce's Pink...even Zabaglione got in on the act..
Somehow, there is even one on Autumn Sunset, probably PP's doing, they are next to each other...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 9, 2012
12:14 AM

Post #9116694

Here is "The Dancer's" (Angel's Swingtime x ?) second flower...luckily it's the same as the first...I can see the 3rd corolla in silhouette...I was hoping that the first one wasn't a fluke...but it seems to know exactly what it's doing..the colour comes in very quickly...
Can't wait to lift it out of the pot and find out what the pollen parent is...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 9, 2012
12:44 AM

Post #9116703

What a good and well behaved Angel you have there Dianne, yes it will be interesting to see who the daddy is, I don't think he had much say in it because The Dancer looks just like mummy :)
Fabulous !

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 9, 2012
12:59 AM

Post #9116710

Very true...lol
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9116746

Your talking about throw away seedlings and cuttings
I remember that i had cut back some Angels a number of years ago and put them in the compost bin.
Digging and rotating but the stems would not compost but they kept sending up shoots for almost 2 years i decided to take the a fending stems out and let them have a summer in the sun which made them dry out & die compost bin here you are again this time it did not grow
the Angels are very vigorous and will stay send shoots up all over the place, in the small garden in front of house i had a Angel there 2 seasons ago and still getting suckers from it so be careful with what your doing with plants and how to discard them be viscous and probably poison the main crown when your 100% sure you don't want it any more

Dianne that Angel is a keeper and she dose dance in the cooler weather for you to

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 9, 2012
3:36 AM

Post #9116750

Shaun you murder them ???
I suppose if you are pushed for room.
It hasn't ever happened here, probably due to the heavy clay,any disgarded pieces die, I try not to feel guilty *blanching at the thought of poisoning them * Though if you threw them into compost they would probably survive ...even here.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 9, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9116754

oops I just realized that down in the Jungle area (I worked the clay up well down there, that yes) the fallen branches are making a forest of Brugs. I wonder what I will find in about a month when I have to go in and clear it all up a bit. Visions of those huge trunks dance through my mind. Oh well, it could be worse, like blackberries or something ^_^

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 9, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9117811

I have just popped in to show you how some of the babies in the humidy cribs are going outside, yay I don't need a greenhouse !
They are looking happy despite cold night temps, the days are warmish and sunny so ...go babies go.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9118967

It's sprinkling out there this morning and still quite cold, yesterday was almost a real Summer day, it took the colour out of Mea Culpa it paled up a little and this 3rd day bloom was a little burned but remains lovely, huge bloom. I may lose the big flush, I don't know how we may go with that, as you can see the leaves are now dropping because of the overnight temperatures.
I thought it was Buck's Fizz or Aztec Gold like the third Picture, until the Huge Blooms hit me in the eye ! It is dark and grey outside, we have a light sprinkle of rain starting up, hence washed out pics as usual. 5th pic is three of the T T x Heart of Gold pods, two fairly mature ones and two more recent but good pods.

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9118971

oops I forgot to wish Shaun a safe and enjoyable trip across the pond.
Take some pretty pics and don't be too naughty ^_^
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 10, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9119014

So the first two pics are Mea Culpa, the third is AG and the fourth is BF? Anyway, those are classic candida pods in the last photo, very healthy looking, you should get healthy seeds (and some wonderful seedlings) from them. I've got one surviving pod on FFA and it's a short pudgy one.
29 deg in Sydney yesterday, I heard, lovely at this time of year. BTW, I see that Aldi has $50 greenhouses for sale this Saturday (tomorrow), which is half the price for the same size/type at Bunnings. The zip will rip within the first few months, but this happens to the one that costs twice as much too. Probably made in the same Chinese factory!
Would love to see photos of *your* knightii seedlings, when they bloom, Wayne. (They're yours now!) I expect sometime down the track we'll get double apricot blooms--from which cross, I can't say--but it's just a matter of time ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9119043

The third is Mea Culpa hiding behind the others. 4 is Buck's Fizz :) We were warmer than Sydney here ...31 C :). Pods can get sunburn and it can cause a big thin patch. This is more likely to happen when the canopy is is losing the leaves that protect the pods.
I am truly wishing and hoping no harm will come to these precious pods cestrum, the reverse cross Heart of Gold x TT is shorter but much fatter. How are you going with pods this year ? did you manage some double ones? sorry I cannot remember.
Yes the Knightii seedlings should be really exciting, a little birdie whispered something about a double :) you would be the first in our group here (home gardeners) to make your own double ! awesome.

I see we are starting to get pods on doubles, great news, not that doubles are more special than beautiful singles, but it's far more rare so far and of course who can resist that.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 10, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9119082

I've noticed the brug canopies have thinned noticeably in the night cold here already. Few pods now, as I can't possibly grow out more than a tiny % of them so there's no point in making more. No more knightii pods at all as I've stopped crossing them, deciding instead to concentrate on trying to get the knightii x seedlings to grow and to make crosses from them. As predicted, it's Wayne who has ended up with the first blooms from those knighii crosses so he should be the first to breed the 2nd gen of seedlings from them. Interesting thing about Wayne's knightii x Big Floppy Apricot seedlings is that while they might look like knightii x OA (I'm guessing they might, haven't seen them yet), their genes are quite different (OA and BFA being completely unrelated to the best of my knowledge). So if there's a double apricot bloom somewhere among these knightii seedlings, it could well be from later generations of those knightii x BFA crosses.

Actually, I'm a bit confused now about whether Wayne meant knightii x Old Apricot or knightii x Big Floppy Apricot ... probably has seedlings from both.

Had blooms on the double pinks but didn't bother crossing them because there were no yellow brugs in flower and I already have enough pinks/seeds from pinks. I think the only pod that is worth growing out is the one on FFA ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9119106

I would love that to be successful for you ...the fragrance alone is so special.
I hope to pursue it further next year ...with blooms I can now reach, Allan is doing well with it too, so I am so happy to see FFA commence a line of some lovely fragrant yellows, creams and oranges ...(look away for a second) and doubles whites with heavenly perfumes ^_^
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 10, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9119113

No need to look away if it has a heavenly perfume :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 10, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9119130

My second Super Pink x Apricot Queen flower is opening.
. It looked alright before opening but now I can see the corolla is in pieces.
Not torn by wind or anything, it has just formed that way.
Looks like several separate long petals which have been twisted inside the calyx and the stamens & stigma are hanging about in the open.
I will leave the plant as it is out in the ground in the paddock garden but I am waiting to see what the second seedling from that lot does when it finally Ys.

I have definite pods on Senorita Rosada , BB , aurea Lucas, Mango Cornet, PP and GHA.
I am hoping they all stay on . There may be a couple of others that are hidden in the leaves .

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 10, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9119245

Yes, they can be sneaky little things hiding in that old brown calyx, or behind some leaves (now starting to drop off revealing all sorts of things including buds you didn't know you had.)
That funny little Brug of yours is probably just complaining about the change of season.
I have seen shredded blooms on Elfin Pink sometimes at sudden warm to cold temps.
Don't worry too much about it, just give it a few more flushes.
Lovely to hear that you too have pods ...whoopee !

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 10, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9119359

What is everyone going to do as far as planting all these homemade crosses?...
I think that I will take 10 from each pod and try those in Spring...then save some for the next season too.

At the moment I am putting the 4ft ones into a 40cm pot, 3 to a pot...I am seriously running out of space...
Just put 2 x ( Morgonsonne x The Chief )x Berkonigen and a Rosalla x LBG in a pot together...they should flower this year...

The white double that I have hopes for is getting very big, it is the same size as Ivoire...I have taken a cutting so that I can see it flower in a protected place and not get smashed to bits...the darn thing is full of big buds..too late she cried...

All of those pods sound great Jean, good luck with them..

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 11, 2012
12:41 AM

Post #9119391

er yes space is a bit of a problem.
I would normally volunteer to grow some out for you, but I will probably need to move before thy bloomed so, that wouldn't be good because I would have to chop them up to move them with me. I don't want to think too much about it ...so yes not all the seeds will go in this Spring, some will be saved for later.
I have just dealt with a further lot of seedlings from BGI that germinated inside (when I planted them -I truly thought most would not germinate ) the dear little things have and I feel awful putting them out into the big bad World in their little humidy cribs with Winter approaching but I just have to try to save them. Alistair says they should be ok so I will give it my best shot.
One reason I require at least 1 but probably 5 acres to move to is my Brugs and veggies too of course.
Good luck Dianne, you might start to dream of an acre or two as well, if not, after my move ,I can offer to grow some for you.
Do you have anyone who can lend you some space in their garden ?
After I move most of mine will go into the ground (the good ones) it saves so much work.
Hey! it's Friday again ! wow that was quick !
Enjoy !

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 11, 2012
1:11 AM

Post #9119395

Lol, Chrissy, we just came from an acre...I don't think that I would take one on again...
No I wouldn't ask anyone to grow them out for me, that would take away the fun and the expectations...we will just get along all together and I will continue to cull as soon as I decide which are keepers and which aren't...I don't have any qualms in that area...
They don't care about growing in together as long as they are fed well...

I bought such a lot of seeds last year...not even thinking that we would get into the Sphaeros..and then Alan 'Hurstwood' started showing those beautiful cold group flowers and he had such great crosses to sell...lol
Then there are the tempting seeds on eBay and of course the ones from the seed bank...
Don't mind me, I love the problem that I have with space, it makes me ruthless in the ones that I keep...

What I wanted to know is what everyone else is going to do with their seeds?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 11, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9119405

^_^^_^ ^_^

That's why they call us Brug Nuts ! ^_^
Well I suppose you could collect teaspoons or something, me I collect Brugs ^_^ and I don't have to dust them.

This message was edited May 11, 2012 7:55 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 11, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9120193

Nice crisp morning, rain later they say...
The Dancer has dropped it's 2nd skirt and is still in it's cool weather colours...
I love the way the corolla tips point upward on the 2nd skirt, it will be interesting to see if the 3rd skirt drops.
On another flower I would hope it does, but on this one I like the way it is...seeing I have no say in the matter, we'll see...
This style of flower would look gorgeous in a soft pink...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

May 11, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9120203

She is lovely Dianne ...when you get a minute or three would you like to start the next thread please with your sweet Brug ^_^ it's a very cool morning here and it will only get up to 18C here they say.
The crockpot is on and in an hour or two I will go outside to check everything out, too cool right now.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 11, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9120380

A quick update on seedlings before the new thread...

Cestrum - the seedlings are your (Ipswich) 'Knightii' x ('Big Floppy' Old Apricot) all going well! Some with felty Knightii leaves - lovely!

Unfortunately Cestrum the buds fell off of your Knightii x noid seedling

Chrissy - Second big flush about to come out on your 'Alphonse Mucha' x GHA. I have sent you cuttings. These buds are the same batch that we chopped off the cuttings I sent.

Allan - First flush of buds on your OA x 'Fernando'

I will post pics if any good.

Dianne, a lovely bloom above. Good luck!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 11, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9120389

Wayne, it's either Big Floppy Apricot or Old Apricot; there is no Big Floppy Old Apricot. (Not yet anyway, not until someone crosses BFA with OA!)
Remember that BFA = Joli x Angels Flight.

Added: If it's Ipswich knightii, then your cross is almost certainly with BFA, not OA. And I have actually crossed BFA with OA, but can't cross these seedlings back to knightii until they grow and flower (assuming that they haven't died) ...

This message was edited May 12, 2012 11:45 AM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

May 11, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9120402

Dianne, I'm transplanting the smaller seedlings several to a bucket too, to tide them over until spring. Then, when danger of frost has passed, the survivors will go into the ground.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

May 11, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9120413

Apologies Cestrum - Yes Ipswich Knightii x BFA.

>Remember that BFA = Joli x Angels Flight.<
My mistake!!! I thought BFA was a cv of OA!

So many abbreviations gets confusing.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 12, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9121229

We are moving again...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257685/
Amazing they are both highlighted...it must like me again.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America