Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Culver's Root and Cotton Mather: So much knowledge left untapped

Communities > Forums > Article: Culver's Root and Cotton Mather
bookmark
Forum: Article: Culver's Root and Cotton MatherReplies: 2, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9103623

Hello Sharran,
I always love reading your stories - they are the perfect mix of something funny, something touching and a good dose of info on a variety of plants! On Monday mornings I skip down to the end of the newsletter hoping to find one of your articles , a perfect spot you have - leaving the best for last!
Perhaps i shouldn't make this comment too generalised, but in my opinion, there should be lot more research done into the beneficial and medicinal properties of plants. The pharmaceutical industry might fear for its monopoly if people learned how to fix their sore tummies mind you!
Your mention of fennel in Aunt Bett's garden has reminded me of the gorgous fennel plants i used to see in a garden in Zimbabwe! I must try to grow some here! I doubt though that they would be hardy, but its worth a try.
Keep on writing your marvellous stories Sharran,
Sabine
RudysTreeFarm
Dauphin, PA
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9107271

I grow bronze fennel here in central PA and it is very hardy and very beautiful. I love it so much that I've added 4 more plants and have decorated my steps up into the veggie garden with it flanking each side.

The fennel self sows a few plants each year, which I pot up and give to friends. The swallowtail butterfly loves it too, and uses fennel (as well as dill) as a host plant. So plant one for culinary use and another for the swallowtails!
Debby
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9113802

Helly Debbie
I wonder if the seeds in feenel teabags would be from bronze fennel. I really would love to try having some in my garden again. I hope our growing season is long enough for decent sized plants. Right now we still have coolish nights (5-8). Thanbks for your reply.

Sabine

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Culver's Root and Cotton Mather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
That poor little girl Elena 21 Mar 10, 2010 9:37 PM
always a fan laurawege 12 Mar 10, 2010 9:01 AM
Can't wait! carrielamont 4 Mar 16, 2010 8:43 PM
Great article, well written lortay 3 Apr 6, 2010 7:38 AM
Cotton Mather story RudysTreeFarm 0 May 2, 2012 10:35 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America