Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: Spinosad - does it expire?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 16, Views: 144
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9104068

If anyone has Spinosad could you please see if it has an expiration date?

Last year I had a problem with vine borers, and I understand Spinosad will kill these pests. However, I don't want to invest in a large container of Spinosad only to find out that it expires in a year or less!

Thanks for your help.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9107016

Bump
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9108029

I'm looking at my bottle of "ferti-lome Borer, Bagworm, Tent Caterpillar & Leafminer Spray" (5% Spinosad) and there is a lot number but no expiration date anywhere I can see. A google search didn't turn up anything either - the only matches for "spinosad expiration" concerned the expiration of patents and the like.

I wouldn't necessarily take that to mean it doesn't expire, just that they don't know or are not required to tell us. OTOH, many expiration dates are based on less-than-optimal storage conditions.

And I swear, some expiration dates are just there to get you to buy more. If got a bottle of potassium citrate with an expiration on it. Short of inoculating it with some weird life form and adding moisture, that stuff just doesn't go bad.

-Rich
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9108155

I see bottles of distilled water with expiration dates on them. Unless the plastic leaches chemicals into the water, how does it go bad.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9108473

I decided it would be helpful if I gave a link to the product I'm considering buying:

http://www.amazon.com/Monterey-LG6135-Contains-Spinosad-32-Ounce/dp/B002BP12LI/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1336057819&sr=1-1

I don't want to purchase such a large bottle if it will expire in less than a year. I didn't realize that another product called mycorrhizae expired within a short period of time until I purchased some and read the label.

Bear with me, please. I'm not used to using pest deterrents in my garden, but the sow bugs and slugs numbers are really terrible this year, and I'm concernd the SVBs will arrive in droves later this summer.

I have Sluggo Plus on order, it's due here next week.
urbanveggies412
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9108654

I have the Sluggo Plus. I will check for an expiration.

I just laid some out the other day and of course it rained very hard the last three nights so I am not sure if it is still going to be effective. The slugs have come out in numbers and have been eating my lettuce. I finally have a nice large crop of lettuce that is doing really well and the slugs are tearing it apart. So frustrating!! I put some shallow dishes out there with beer and the centipedes really love to commit suicide into it. I had about 25 of them in the one dish yesterday morning. I think they are centipedes anyway. They resemble the general shape of a centipede but are not flat and their legs are not as long but they still have a lot of them.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9108731

I have some Capt. Jack's Dead Bug Brew and no expiration on that is listed anywhere. Do you know if that Monterey is ready to use or is a concentrate? It it's concentrate, I think that's a great price.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9108816

bariolio -
Quoting:Do you know if that Monterey is ready to use or is a concentrate?

from what I can tell, it's a concentrate.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9121781

Spinosad will only give you limited control of SVBs, but it is better than nothing. You mentioned Sluggo Plus, does anyone know if Sluggo Plus really works on pill bugs/sow bugs? They are eating everything in the garden. I have regular Sluggo for snails (limited success) but haven't bought the plus because of the extra cost. I buy spinosad, ultra concentrated, from a local greenhouse supply. I will check for an expiration date, but not sure that would help since mine is powdered.
According to their product label http://www.montereylawngarden.com/pdf/MontereyGardenInsectSpray-2-column-(07)-1109-Bilingual.pdf you use 2 ounces per gallon, same as the Greenlight brand of spray with spinosad.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9121864

Calalily - it has been my experience that Sluggo Plus will kill sow bugs. I just invested in a 5lb container. Expensive, yes! A little goes a long way.
urbanveggies412
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9121872

The sluggish plus seems to work very well for me. I haven't noticed the mass quantities of pill bugs and slugs since use.
urbanveggies412
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9121874

Spell check. SLUGGO plus :)
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 15, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9124405

Thanks, I will try the Sluggo Plus. They are eating everything. I keep hoping the lizards and frogs that live in the garden will eat them, but they must taste bad because nothing eats them.
I use regular Sluggo in the garden and get so-so results with snails. We only have two kinds, a soft shell pointy kind and a little hard shelled round snail. The snails even climb up in our citrus trees. I remember reading that snails and pill bugs love organic gardens because of the lack of chemicals and it seems to be true.
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
11:13 PM

Post #9125556

One would hope that those critters that eat snails and pill bugs would love organic gardens, too, so as to have a wonderful chemical-free feast. Good luck!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9125749

I do have lots of beneficials: black ground beetles, tiger beetles, soldier beetles, lady bugs and I saw lace wings yesterday. Guess I have too many snails for them to eat! I hate going out to pick a nice ripe tomato and the top is eaten out by rolly pollies and there are millions of them under anything that touches the ground.
The tiger beetles are neat to see at night, they run around in circles when you shine a light on them. Spider eyes show up beautiful blue in LED light. I love going into the garden at night.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9126292

SLUGGO PLUS works!

A little does go a long way. And, I have found it to still be fairly potent after a rain...I usually sprinkle a perimeter and then drop a few pellets onto the surface in my containers. In this case, I'd sprinkle some onto my raised bed...

Linda
LAS14
Albany, ME
(Zone 4b)

June 29, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9186794

Why don't you contact the company that produces the spinosad you're interested in? Or contact the manufacturer of Captain Jack's Deadbug, which you can get in inexpensive spray bottles or concentrate.

LAS

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America