Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Orchids: Now, this is funny! Kinda...

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 6, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9104154

A neighbor spends the winter in southern Florida and always brings back plants.
They mentioned that they had bought a lily. Excellent, I like lilies, I'd be more than happy helping them decide where to plant it and the other plants.
This is a picture of their lily. Uummm... i don't think it's a lily...;)
Gotta love it!
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9104280

It looks like an Epidendrum to me.

Jim
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 30, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9104578

On the positive side, it will probably survive IF they give it some winter protection. I take it your neighbors aren't long time gardeners.LOL!
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9104585

Hawk - I agree.
I put it in a pot on their porch and since I take their non-cold hardy plants to my greenhouse in the colder moths, it should survive...;)
No, they are definitely NOT gardeners. I have given them some of my tropical hibiscus to enjoy over the summer and the husband always calls them hydrangeas. To the point that now, I don't even correct him...
It was just too funny to see their "lily"!!
Barb
jimminycricket
Bethlehem, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9258853

I have Epi. Peach Valley 'Dream Song' blooming now, and from what I can see of your plant, it looks just like mine.
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 29, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9258885

Ha! Keep it above freezing and it will thrive in full sun!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9260902

The local big box stores in S. FL. sell these in that size pot as landscape plants. They are unnamed Epis., maybe species Epi. ibaguense. https://www.google.com/search?q=epidendrum+ibaguense&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=kXc&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source= Fun to grow and easy. They grow in loose very potting soil or bark. I've grew them in situ, when I was a wee(r) one in S. FL., at the base of palm trees and in the crooks of water oaks. The plants and their spikes can become very dense and start to climb up the trees. That's when they look best.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America