Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Smoke tree not smoking

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 2, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
HersheyRed
Birmingham, AL

April 30, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9104173

I am not really a beginner, but this is one of the few forums in Dave's Garden where one can post messages free. I do appreciate the time and expertise of the people who endeavor to answer my questions, this is another for a brave volunteer.

I have a beautiful Velvet Cloak smoke tree in my garden about 4 years old. It looks absolutely beautiful and very healthy this spring. There are not too many of those disfiguring leaf curling insects attacking it either, but as usual it looks as though it is not going to bloom. It also loses its fabulous bronze color in summer, the leaves turn green then drop off well before autumn. I have heard that smoke trees do better in poor soil without too much water, but mine was not thriving well in those conditions so I fed it and kept it watered (summer gets extremely hot here in Alabama) and it has grown well since, but I really would like it to put on the show I bought it for. I would also like it to keep its leaves into autumn so that I could benefit from the superb autumn foliage it is suppose to have.

Any ideas please?

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9111393

according to the Southern Living Garden Book, "plants are at their best under stress in poor or rocky soil-give them fast drainage and avoid overly wet conditions"
it sounds like you've given it a good start with the water and feed and it's time to leave it alone now.
HersheyRed
Birmingham, AL

May 11, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9120072

Thanks Trackin, looks as though I will probably have to wait a year or two now for those conditions. :(

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America