Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: My artichoke plants are falling over!

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9104605

My artichokes have been looking particularly fantastic this year, and were fine yesterday. Today, I went to give someone a tour of the garden and discovered that two of my plants had fallen over -- one looked like it had been uprooted, the other looks like it just wilted.

Any ideas? I am baffled!

Thumbnail by happygirl345   Thumbnail by happygirl345   Thumbnail by happygirl345
Click an image for an enlarged view.

jenhillphoto

jenhillphoto
Danbury, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9105333

That has happened to me. One time, it was my cat sitting next to the plant and nudged it over. I think they get too top heavy sometimes and it doesn't take much for them to fall over. Maybe you could give some support to the ones still standing. As for the digging, that could be a skunk. We've been having problems with skunks digging up our yard and one of my hydrangeas. Apparently, they are looking for worms and grubs to eat. It was suggested to use Castor oil sprayed down on the ground to deter them. It is a scent thing. I haven't tried that yet. We had some luck with using some sort of critter ridder granular stuff you sprinkle down. Again a scent they don't like.

Thumbnail by jenhillphoto
Click the image for an enlarged view.

happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9105573

Thanks Jen- I will get some castor oil today... my husband said he saw a critter in the yard the night before, so maybe it was digging...
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 6, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9113301

I had a large Artichoke fall over because a gopher chewed through the six inch trunk just below the ground. If the end of the trunk was tapered, it should look like it was chewed. The root was eaten on down. It happened fast, plant was beautiful and just fell over without any sign of sickness or weakness beforehand. I watch closely for gophers now.

Ernie

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9198475

Happygirl

are those potato bins in front? If so do you mind if I ask you some questions about them? I don't mean to go off topic but just wanted to find out, as I'm about to try growing some in grow bags, but if you just start with them on top of the ground and then just keep adding filler as they grow?

Thanks

Jan
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9235807

Hi Jan, Sorry it has taken me so long to respond... I get so busy in the summer I forget to get into Dave's unless I've got a problem. Yes, those are potatoes. I have four varieties: All Blue, Russet, Pontiac Red and Island Sunshine. I have now harvested the All Blue and Reds (yum!).

What questions do you have?

-Patty
(and I promise to check in!)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9237254

Patty

not a problem, hay you have to take care of a garden so it will bless you with its bounty...LOL

Your potato plants look like they are doing wonderful. I had though about using some old fencing and some old burlap to line it with to hold some of the soil in and plant my potatoes. So it is nice to see someone else have success with something I would like to try.

Jan
happygirl345
Pleasant Hill, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9254363

I've decided that next year I'm not going to use it... my potatoes don't produce any fruit above the original soil level, so adding more soil, etc. doesn't seem to do any good at all. As nearly as I can tell, all it does is hold the plant upright.

I've been harvesting -- the island sunshine were a waste of time -- I think I got 5 ounces from a whole plant! Phoey!

Pontiacs always do well... plus they are delicious!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America