-
AuthorContent
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9104618

I made a misting system out of drip irrigation materials for my greenhouse. Also put a timer on it to water up to 4 times a day. Though I haven't used the timer yet. I believe I need to change the washer on it because it has a small leak. What do you think? See any room for improvements?

Thumbnail by Dean_W   Thumbnail by Dean_W   Thumbnail by Dean_W
Click an image for an enlarged view.

txaggiegal
Belton, TX

May 1, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9105105

Nice set-up, but can't see if the tables are slotted for drainage...the wooden ones won't last long...I went to big box and bought sturdy storage shelves...set them up in halfs...all are about 3' tall...have lasted 6 years...

As to the leak...try a washer...but there seems to be an inherent water pressure created in this kind of a system...we had a drip for several weeks at first...then...we put in a drain hose that feeds into a trug under the racks...I use the drained water to water larger tubs out of the greenhouse...no drip.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9105188

Hi txaggiegirl,

It has some rabbit wire going across the shelves for drainage. If you look closely in the second picture I believe you can see it. The wood has been pressure treated so I think it should last a number of years.

Thanks for the suggestions.
txaggiegal
Belton, TX

May 6, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9112405

thanks...what are you planning to propagate?...
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9112476

Some various herbs and seeds in the greenhouse during the hot summer.

Thanks!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9137023

I have no experience, but I thought that "intermittent misting for propagation" was supposed to be an ultra-fine mist every 10 minutes, not discrete droplets such I see from most 'drip' irrigation sprayers.

Did you find a low-pressure sprayer that puts out an ultra-fine mist, or is it really OK to mist cutting with pretty big droplets?

Do you find that the humidty drops a lot between the 4-per-day sprayings?

Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9137186

Rick,

I've haven't been using it much. Most of my cuttings have since rooted and it was leaving the soil soaking wet.

Yes, the drops are bigger than preferred.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9137231

Thanks, I had read a lot about how "high wtaer pressure" was needed for optimum misting.

There was some company (sorry, I forget the name) that claimed to have a special kind of head that would produce "a fine mist" for cooling people on sunny patios, even with just average water pressure. I think they claimed great things for it fine-mist-wise, BUT also offered to sell you a pressure booster pump..
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9137840

Cool, that's what these nozzles are supposed to be for- patio misting.

The finer misting systems that I saw were so expensive that's the reason I had went with this cheap one. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Thanks for the reply.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9138703

>> The finer misting systems that I saw were so expensive that's

YES!! Any plants I ever propagate are going to have to be tough enough to get along without the Platinum Elite system.

I had a notion that if a nozzle shot a fine stream at a little propellor, maybe with tiny holes through it, the induced spin would break the stream up finer. Probably that would still give drops, not mist.

Then I thought about compressed air blowing past a nozzle to make a mist - but an air compressor is probably even more expen$ive.
susanl61520
Canton, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9229729

There is a website called Mistkits.com where you can buy a complete setup for intermittent mist. I have also seen reports of excellent results using a fog machine in a humidity tent, too.

The bigger droplets would be best utilized in an open air setting where your cuttings are exposed to the elements. Wind would blow away lighter droplets and you would see good results from the bigger droplets in these conditions.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9231236

I too used some landscaping tubing and spikes for plants, shrubs, etc. in my greenhouse that I already had. (I can't remember the name right now, not the rainbird but the cheaper set from Lowes.) I ordered mister heads only from dripworks.com. They will send you a free catalog. Since I wasn't sure what I wanted or needed I order a variety of heads which emit 1 to 6 gallons of water per hour. I have plants on shelves purchased from Target. They are actually closet shelves with a white plastic coating since they are 5 - 6 shelves on each stand, the lower shelf plants are getting less water. I like the idea above breaking them down to 3 feet each. I am still experimenting to get what I want.

Good luck.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9231843

I m ade tjhe mistake olf buying a dozen or so Dramm nozzles from a local wholesale place before I realized that I would have to hang and drill PVC to mount them. Drill 7/16th" holes and then use the Dramm gasklet/adapter for their bizarre "3/8 WW threads - "Witworth" threads). NOT designed to use with 1/4 micro tubing or 3/4" black polyethylene mainline tubing.

But Dripworks has a one piece adapter that glues onto PVC and then has a compression fitting for 3/4" PE mainline. I think I will try that in orfder to test the Dramm Nifty Nozzle, Pin Perfect Nozzle, and "Misty Mist" nozzle.

At 45 PSI, I think thst they, or almost any regular mini-sprayer, is liekly to put out a mist. I have a fairly sheltered spot and not much wind, so "any" mioght be fine. Otheri3wse I will ,look for a very colarse mist or fine spray for the seedlihng trays. Maybe give up on Dramm and just buy more sprayers that FIT 1/4" tubing!
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9232181

Hope you luck!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9232370

Thanks! Maybe if I learn how to mist seeds, I can mist cuttings.

I haven't tried cutting for many years. My first attempts all failed. Maybe I mis-read the directions. It was as if I thought I was supposed to cut them, and then rot them.

Oh, I was supposed to ROOT them!!

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9233350

Ha! What were you trying to propagate. It took me about 4-5 tries before I realized what the problem was when I tried to propagate dwarf junipers.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9233632

It ws back in the 1970s, so I don't recall what plants ... or none I should mention.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2013
5:04 PM

Post #9638494

I found really cheap misters that put out a finer spray than irrigation "jet" sprayers. They will plug into the end of 1/4" tubing or stab directly into 1/2" or 3/4" mainline.

But they each cover only a very small area. In a larger area, they might serve to raise the humidity.

"Mini Mister" http://www.dripworks.com/product/MM
5 for $3.50
1/4" barb
Flow rate: 2.3 GPH at 20 PSI
Pressure range: 10 - 35 PSI

"directional sprayer for misting individual plants ... that like fog."

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America