Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

African Violets and Gesneriads: Interstate Shipping

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 6, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

May 1, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9105422

Ya'll won't believe this. I have too many plants and wanted to set up a temporary shop on Etsy to get my collection down to a more reasonable size, then donate to proceeds to Compassion International. I called the Alabama agricultural dept. who just came out to my house today. All the plants are INDOOR, but I'd be required to drench them all in a pesticide to supposedly get rid of any fireants?! Then I'd have to drench them to get rid of any possible nematodes?! I showed him the bags of AV soil, perlite, and vermiculite that I make my mix with- bags bought at the indoor section of Home Depot, that have no fireants or nematodes. How are fireants and nematodes supposed to get into my plants??? He said he agrees, is sorry, but it's the way the state has set-up the regulations. Furthermore, it would cost $57, wait 30 days, and call him back to stamp the box with a phytosanitary certificate before EVERY shipment! Forget this. I'm going to see if I can have a sale at my church and donate the money to a mission. What was I thinking???
Jamie in Alabama

Thumbnail by jamiew
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9105709

That's more stringent than when you try to ship plants internationally and need a phyto...
jannich
Andalusia, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9106127

geez,there not making it easy for you are they? Can you send to the same state? I would be very happy to help you donate a few bucks to Compassion International ^_^

BTW your av is beautiful.

Jan
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

May 1, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9106304

No special hoops to ship in state. Thanks Jan.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9107592

Jamie . . . if you would like to post a list of your "Haves" on the Have/Want thread (or even here) . . . and the prices you would have charged on Etsy, I'm sure you'd have a few takers as well . . . for me, you could label the box "craft supplies" if you needed to.
carpathiangirl
Akron, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9107666

Just crazy... Jamie, have you considered ebay? So many plants are sold there, I did it too and it was very easy. They also have an option "sell for charity"
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

May 2, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9107962

I did not know they had that option, that's wonderful. I just always heard that ebay charges vendors such a large amount and didn't consider it as an option. I just decided to reduce my numbers through my club and listing them for cheap on a couple forums. It's so much easier for me.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America