Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tomatoes: What is happening to my Cherry Tomato seedlings?

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 9, Views: 98
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jenn1980
Gillette, WY

May 1, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9105875

I'm so sick to think that I won't have any cherry tomatoes this year! I only have one decent plant. But that one is starting to turn yellow. I'm wondering if i should toss them all, I don't want any diseases around my Romas (who are doing great)

Thumbnail by Jenn1980   Thumbnail by Jenn1980
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

May 1, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9105894

I don't see any indication of any of the common foliage diseases.

The most common reason that foliage turns yellow as seedlings is too much moisture, so you might want to try and dry them out a bit and cut back on the water.

If that doesn't work then get some fish or seaweed prep and spray them, b'c those two products have lots of micronutrients and by applying it to the foliage directly it bypasses root uptake which may be comrpomised b'c of being too wet.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn
Jenn1980
Gillette, WY

May 1, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9106081

Thank you. Rickcorey was telling me about fertilizing the leaves to see if the hgh pH in the soil is keeping nutients from the plant...

I know ive been over watering. Hopefully I can find some seaweed products, this has beeen my challenge here
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 1, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9106199

JENN,
If the water in Gillette is anything like what it used to be in Edgerton, it may very well be the water. Do you have any sign of damage to the edge of the older leaves? If you drink water from the same source you are watering your garden with, it should be okay, but if you are filtering or anything, you might want to give the better water to your plants, too.

Ernie
Jenn1980
Gillette, WY

May 1, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9106378

@Erniecopp HaHa! I bet the water is the same! It's gross anyways. I can't even drink coffee with the tap water. I have been trying to water with my rain barrels but not the seedlings. (it's easier to just fill up their jug with tap). The ends of the leaves are wilty and brownish. I'm gonna switch, thanks for that insight
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 1, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9106468

Jenn,

The reason i know the water in Edgerton is so bad, when my brother moved there about 1958, it was so bad he bought a water truck and started hauling water to the residents. I went through there last September, for the first time in 50 years, and they have better water now, a fellow said, but i took his word for it and did not taste it.

I hope the better water helps your plants.

Ernie
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9106580

Ok, now I have to know. What's wrong with the water there?

Jenn, I'm on a well and my water tastes good but is Alkaline. I have many exotic house plants (thanks to some generous DGers) lol and I buy distilled water for the plants, only for the plants. You did put holes in the bottom of the cups, right?
Jenn1980
Gillette, WY

May 1, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9106613

LOL! My dad used to say, and this is years ago, that you could light the tap water on fire. Because of the Methane, maybe? You could see bubbles in the water like it was carbonated. But last year I didn't allow the kids (I run an in-home daycare) to drink the water because of the high amounts of fluoride. I don't drink it, It has always tasted bad to me, and it's very hard.

@ 1lisac Holes in the bottom of the cup: check! :P
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9106632

Well, it sounds Iike distilled water for your plants too, just not so much of it. Are you on City Water? Sorry, I had to ask about the drainage holes, you just never know.
Jenn1980
Gillette, WY

May 2, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9106902

Yes, I'm on city water. We need a water softener.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America