Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Orchids: Our May Day Orchids

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 139, Views: 1,008
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9106298

Time for a new thread as I just returned from my 13 and a half hour Master Gardener marathon. I'm too old for this. We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1249978/. Please join us as we share photos of our May orchid blooms.

I'll start off with my big Grammatophylum scriptum. I'm a little disappointed as it only put out one spike this year. I've had as many as six. Each spike is three feet long and has about 50 flowers or so. The plant itself is about the size of a bowling ball and about as heavy as well.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica
Click an image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9106311

Here is a NOID Dendrobium that was begging to have its picture taken.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9106317

And my favorite, Dendrobium anosmum.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9106326

After taking a month or so off, the Spathoglottis plicata are starting to rebloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9106547

Jim, that spotty little Gramma looks like a little leopard with its mouth open wide! That's such a cool plant.

Big purple floofer is smelling like cookies again now. Hope the raccoons aren't around! There's an Angel's Trumpet out there blooming, too so maybe that perfume will overshadow the delicious orchid fragrance.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9107214

Here's one I bought that I'm enjoying quite a bit. I like all the colors in it. It's called Pot (Miya's Passion x Carolina Splendor) x Blc. Red Glo.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9107272

Gorgeous color, Melanie. It has what Jim calls 'good floof' too, the frillies along the petals and lip.

Couldn't resist another shot of my little Encyclia alata x Early Bird with only two buds to open yet. Nice fragrance, too.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9107421

I suppose I'm a fan of "good floof" myself!

I wish I could smell all these wonderful flowers through my computer!

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9107500

Yes, good floof there Melanie and I like the color as well.

I am really drawn to Encyclias as of late. That is a good one there, Elaine.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9107770

I found a couple of new bloomers today. This is Lc Prism Palette X (Gaiety Flambeau X MECarter) X walkeriana. I bought it as a re-potting special from Jim Krull up in Apopka about a year ago when I was there with Laurel and Steve. It seems to have adjusted well to its new pot and home.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 2, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9107779

My Bollopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost' took a couple of weeks off and then promptly put out a new spike. Note the second picture was taken with a flash which made a big color change.

Jim

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 2, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9107903

The haul from the show this weekend. Also some CPs , Glox, Geraniums...and a Bat Plant rhizome

Angraecum didieri first photo white flower
Bratonia Shelob in spike
Encyclia bractescens in spike
Masdevallia coccinea Red in spike
Vanilla planifolia
Zygopetalum Big Red (Prayoon x Cool Room) 2nd photo
Intergenetic, so says the vendor 3rd photo. A little more yelo in real life

This message was edited May 2, 2012 7:45 PM

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 2, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9107919

Bollopetalum, Zygopetalum, encyclia cordigera, they all look so much alike.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9108662

Nice haul, Ted. I'll be anxiously awaiting a picture of that Encyclia when she blooms.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9108734

Here's one I got at the Green Thumb Festival. It's Blc. Mildred Hollingsworth "Sun Bulb".

My orchid club is attending a sale this Saturday at one of our sponsors (Louis del Favero Orchids) so expect me to have more in a few days!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9108763

Jim, I forgot to mention how much I like that Lc Prism Palette X (Gaiety Flambeau X MECarter) X walkeriana. Very nice colors in it!

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9108774

Very nice yellow on your Catt, Melanie. Louis carries a nice selection of species orchids, especially Dendrobiums. Have fun shopping.

Funny story on that Lc cross. I found it on one of Jim Krull's back tables in Apopka. Part of it was stuffed into a tiny pot but the rest of it had long since escaped and was crawling across the table. I asked him what he wanted for that miserable, homeless specimen and he laughed and gave it to me for $5. Here is a picture of it when I first brought it home a year or so ago.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9108889

Well, c'mon now, Jim! Let's see what the whole plant looks like now, with a year's worth of coddling under it's belt (or pot).

Melanie, I love that yellow Catt, too. Pale yellows are so elegant.

Found a curious picture on my local orchid orphanage's Craig's List page: take a look at the last one of the 4 little thumbnails at the bottom of the page. http://sarasota.craigslist.org/grd/2948495715.html Could it be a 'Medusa' ? I think I'm going to toddle over there tomorrow morning. All the orchids are half off what they were selling for, and that was already pretty cheap!

Elaine
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9108933

I don't think so, Elaine. It looks more like Bulbophyllum vaginatum. Here is picture of mine as well as a picture of my medusae.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9109021

Think I'm now adding a medusae to my "NEED" list.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9109083

OK Jean but I must warn you that it is not the easiest orchid to grow and bloom. You may want to read up on it a bit.

Jim
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 3, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9109455

Masdevallia coccinea Red. More crimson in real life. Not quite open all the way. Either she will open more as the days go by or maybe not enough light. Could be from the show or I have her in too shadowed an area. We'll see.

Jim, I will be sure to take pix of Encyclia bractescens when it blooms. It is a smaller plant with only 4 PB and is mounted on a stick. But I think this one likes the morning sun it gets where I have it - a second spike has shown its face.

Thumbnail by ted5310

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 3, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9109541

I can't wait for this one. This is a Iridifolius x Zygostatus Alleniana Ornithocephalis mini that I picked up on a whim at the Santa Barbara Orchid Estate last Sept. Got two that looked good, bare root out of their bins. Just stuck them in a large piece of cork with a Masdevallia ( bought the same way) and some bromeliads and Tillandsia. This thing can't be more than two inches across. The picture shows about 2/3 of the plant. And I think that is a spike in there. It's a dark picture, but I just had to share

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9110385

OK, Elaine. Here is what the Lc cross looks like now. It still wants to crawl a bit but seems very happy. If I had used a larger pot in order to cram all of the roots inside, I don't think it would have been happy. I'll save the bigger pot for next time.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9110390

Here is the Spathoglottis plicata in yellow.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 4, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9110393

Miltassia Aztec Toni opened yesterday. I've had it for years and it always blooms right on schedule.

Jim

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9110493

What a nice beginning to the month! Thanks, Jim. Looks like everyone is orchid shopping but me. Jim, that Gram is a stunner. It's like your version of a Lincoln Continental with fins. The Spath. too. It's nice to have orchids in the landscape. I used to have a tree full of orchids and aeroids growing up in S. FL.. That water oak is still there but people ripped off the plants. Can you believe?

Ted, You have become an expert hauler. :) Beautiful Masdie and intergeneric. Love the Angraecum too.

Mellie, glad to see you jumping right in. Love your attitude. Are you sleeping in your buying shoes? Sneaking around with Jim?

Elaine, Bulbo. medusae has much larger leaves than vaginatum.

Qwilter, you need one of each.

We are back in Atlanta. Maypop garden is almost in. Summer heat follows so closely on the heels of spring we start planting arugula, broccoli and cabbages and don't stop until we're up to zucchini. Get it? abc...z. Okay, that was bad. I am working tomorrow. Orchid photos are coming...promise.
Laurel

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9111545

Laurel, there has been a plant festival every week for the last four weeks! It's craziness! But things should slow down here while we all try to make it through the heat of summer (orchids included).

Here's one I bought in bud last week that opened up today. The squirrel only ate one bud out of three - how considerate. It's called Rby. Hawaiian Leopard x Grt. Why Not.

This message was edited May 5, 2012 1:40 PM

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9111546

And there's the two I bought today. The red one is Pot. Samantha Duncan "Paradise" and the pink one is Slc. Love Castle "Happiness". Oh, and the pink one is growing sideways, it's not that I forgot to rotate the photo. : )

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong   Thumbnail by mellielong

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9111903

Just opening, one of my all time favorites, Lc George Baldwin X C Trithena.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9111912

Also just opening, a classic, Rhyncholaelia digbyana. More to come.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9111938

It's a nice night to be outside. There is a brilliant Venus in the west and a huge moon in the east.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9111969

Haha! Thanks for the moon shot, Jim! By the time it rises here, the "marine layer" will have rolled in, and all we'll see is grey. That's ok though...I'll take the humiditity whenever I can get it. I can look at the moon on TV.
By the way, great pics to start off the month! Love that shot of the Lc george Baldwin X! All of you eastern growers are way ahead of us on the west coast. We seem to be in our typical "May Grey" mode, but "typical" is welcome after the wierd weather we've all had in the past year.
all i' ve got that's new (and a bit unusual) is the Euchili citrina I bought bare root last fall. From what I've seen on the net, it doesn't open much more than this. Hard to get a picture, but it really smells lemony.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9111985

I just came in from a little 'gardening by moonlight' too. The weatherman was saying that the moon is at its perigee - closest position to Earth - this week. It's pretty. Love that digbyana, is it fragrant?

Picture shows the reason for my moonlight foray - Sri Lanka weevils are munching my roses. They're easy to catch with a flashlight after dark. In the daytime they're under the leaves but at night they come out to dine . . . sure hope they don't develop a taste for orchids.

I wish they'd make oval-shaped orchid pots for plants like your Lc. cross that want to crawl in one direction! I've got two Catts that do that, too. No sooner do I get them into a new pot than they start scrambling and sticking roots out again. Maybe a little rectangular clay window box would work?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9112058

Jim, I can see why that's one of your favorites. Purple is my favorite color so maybe I'm biased, but I really like that one, too.

Melanie

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9113114

Wow I've missed alot. Air card bit the dust and I'm doing alot of catching up after getting it replaced. Beautiful blooms everyone.
Elaine, what kind of roses do you have..we have Knockout's and I've never seen that Sri Lanka weevil here. Do they go for anything else? I'll be on the look out for them !! Yikes !

All I have new is my little mounted Tol blooming...
2nd is close up...

Thumbnail by mjsponies   Thumbnail by mjsponies

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9113370

The little Tol looks great, Mj. Wondered where you'd gone.

The Sri Lanka weevils have so far stayed on only the roses at my house. I have yellow Knockouts and Easy Does It, another landscape rose but so far they're only eating the Knockouts. Ten feet away the plumbago that they were eating like crazy last summer is untouched! They liked my Lychee tree last year too, but not so far this year. Also the neighbor's Loquat was heavily damaged last year. Picky eaters, I guess.

Maybe it's been colder winter temps that have kept them from invading your area, so far. Keep an eye out, though. You'd think coming from Sri Lanka (close to the equator) they'd be cold sensitive. They first appeared before the two cold winters, and though we hoped the cold would eradicate them, it didn't. They lay eggs in the ground, so even if the current generation of adults get frozen, if there are eggs in the ground, they survive.

I got some new pale mauve Spathoglottis at Lowe's. Wish they'd bring in some yellow ones!

This message was edited May 6, 2012 11:32 PM

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9114035

I am so thrilled, my sweet gift plant from Jim has opened its first flower. Well, almost! Many more buds to come.

Encyclia tampensis aka 'The Florida Butterfly Orchid' - one that will hopefully do well in my wild Florida garden!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9114095

Love that Tampa Encyclia! I've spotted one in the wild and I was just so thrilled to see an orchid growing natively in Florida. It's hidden pretty well; I know poachers can be a problem.

Dad and I went to Home Depot today and got materials for the orchid house. We have to move some stuff out of the way before we get to building, but I'm already excited. Let's just hope I can keep the squirrels out.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9114185

Carol, I had to look up Euchili citrina as I have always known it as Cattleya citrina. Anyway it likes your climate much better than mine. The flower is very nice.

The tampensis is a beauty, Elaine, I hope it gives you years of blooms.

Melanie, why don't you open a seperate thread and post pics of the progress of the new greenhouse. I'm sure we would all like to see it rise from the ground.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9114199

I decided on a salmon burger for lunch and while the grill was heating up I took some pics of the bloomers in the OC. Some of these orchids you have seen before but are worth another look and some are new bloomers or at least have new spikes. All the pictures are from today.

I'll start with Enc. atropene, var. alba 'Jim' X Bepi. Bradly's Judy 'Spots'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9114205

Rhyncholaelia digbyana. It's hard not to call her a Brassavola.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9114211

Encyclia cordigera, var. rosea.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9114216

Bollopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost' put out a new spike'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9114220

Psychopsis Mendenhall alba 'Yellow Butterfly'

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9114227

Cattleya maxima continues.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9114231

B. nodosa X C. netrasiri.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9114242

Blc Hawallan Leopard 'Mai Ling'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9114248

C. lueddemanniana, var. alba X self.

JIm

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9114252

Miltassia Aztec Toni.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012

Post #9114258

Lc Prism Palette X (Gaiety Flambeau X MECarter) X walkeriana. Type that out a few times just for fun. :>)

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9114261

Ooh, love that Midnight Blue one! I still like the antennae on the butterfly orchids. : )

Dad already moved the raised beds and ruined my "before" picture, LOL! I'll get out there and take pictures soon and start a thread so you can see my orchid house come to life. It's going to be a simple thing, just an 8x8 with lattice on the sides. I'm trying to position it exactly where I want it so it gets enough shade but not too much. I have a huge oak tree that will be covering most of it.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9114263

This message was edited May 7, 2012 3:11 PM
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9114267

Lc George Baldwin X C Trithena again. I love the color and form of this orchid.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9114271

Blc. Golden Tang. The first pic is a new spike and the second is of older flowers.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9114278

Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9114287

This is a Tolumnia or perhaps a little oncidium from Apopka. NOID on this one.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9114299

There are always a few Phals in bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9114304

Encyclia 'Green Hornet' which is always in bloom.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9114315

The big Grammatophylum scriptum.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9114319

And finally, this one NOID Dendrobium. I hope you found something you like in this group of May bloomers. By the way, the salmon burger was good.

Jim

This message was edited May 7, 2012 3:47 PM

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9114432

I just went out to mist the orchids and saw two great bloomers that I had forgotten. This is L.tenebrosa X Blc Chinese Bronce 'Marco Polo'.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9114441

And the second one is Vanda Manuvadee X V. Coerulea.

Jim

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 7, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9114555

Wow! You've really got it going on there, Jim! Hard to choose, but I think the ones that really grab me are Blc. Hawaiian leopard 'Mai Ling', Milt. aztec Toni, and Lc George Baldwin X.
That Euchili citrina has a list of aliases as long as you arm. They just can't seem to decide what family it belongs in. It sure smell lemony though.
Another first flower for me today supposed to be Bc. Bill Worsley ( Brassavola x C. aurantica), but it is supposed to be orange according to the seller. Another of their mericlones gone wrong, I guess. I'm just not sure what to call it now. Encyclia lancefolia is smelling good out there too

Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL   Thumbnail by OCCAROL

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9114712

Carol, don't despair yet, those Brassavola crosses change color. My last one started out pink and white and finished orange and yellow.

Jim, fabulous array! I love them all, but must say the Milt. Aztec Toni is the favorite today. Can't beat that color.

My Green Hornet is taking a vacation - putting on new pb's but not flowering for about 6 weeks now. More light? Less water?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 7, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9114928

Jim, love that Spathoglottis plicata, Aztec Toni and Rhyncholaelia digbyana. Outstanding blooms all.
And Laurel, I have to admit this group has taught me a good deal about different plants and what to buy. What will grow well here and what will not.
Mellie, you can really pick the good ones. Some beautiful plants you added to your collection.
Where did you find Euchili citrina, Carol. Looks like it is in your hut and not outside Just love the color. We missed the moon here as well, but like you said, this humidity is wonderful and I'll take it as long as I can. Of course, for us anything over 15% is wonderful. And that Encyclia lancefolia is really neat. It's on the list.
Never heard of a Sri Lanka weevil...don't want to. Please keep them on your side of the Mississippi.lol
Mj, that Tol is really nice. Does it have a name?
All I have at our Lowes is Phals, and maybe a Catt or two. Once in a blue moon a den. That Spathoglottis has a wonderful color. And I love that Encyclia tampensis. Seem to be looking at them more and more. Collection has three now, but I see it growing in the near future.
Here is Masdevallia ibanez - behar speckles. First time it has bloomed and it has two spikes.

Thumbnail by ted5310

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 8, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9116410

Ted, I like the Masdevallia. I haven't tried one yet. The Euchili is in the shack, and I bought it at the Spring Garden Show last year from Viveros Tropicals, bare root. I was told later at Andy's that they had it, but they don't list it on their site. I don't remember if they called it Encyclia or Prosthechea, but I felt bad about buying the bare root plant because I suspect it may have been wild harvested.I am thrilled however, that it not only rooted, but bloomed in 1 year.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9117418

Masdevallias are great. I'm not sure if I have one out in the OC or not. I used to.

Just when I thought I was throuugh posting for a while, Bc. Maikai 'Louise' AMAOS opened a new spike. I can tell this is going to be a prolific bloomer.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9117421

The Bollopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost' has filled out the spike and is now in full bloom.

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9117516

Still loving that Midnight Blue "Cardinal's Roost". Cool color.

I posed this question in my other thread, but what kind of wood do you guys mount your orchids on? My Dad is a woodturner and he gets tons (literally) of wood of all different species. But I imagine some are more prone to rot or just not be orchid friendly so I thought I'd ask. I'm going to have to visit the park where I saw that Encyclia tampensis and see what it's growing on. I was in a swamp and there were lots of locust trees around but it's been a long time since I was there so the memory is fuzzy. I was just so surprised to see an orchid in the wild! I had the same feeling when I saw a bunch of rose pogonias while hiking one spring (in a different wetland area).

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9117549

Ceder is the wood of choice for Florida orchids. Citrus wood is also acceptable as is oak. No one uses pine due to the resins.
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9118598

Wow, beautiful photos! So many I've missed since April; took me a long (enjoyable) time to get though all the postings!

Sri Lanka weevil? YIKES! Look about as destructive as Japanese beetles in our area.

Blc Bonanza Queen 'Panamint' just opened. Fragrance started this morning. Woo hoo! Contrast between lip and petal/sepal color is amazing. Lip is like velvet in look and feel.

Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9118639

Ooh, that one is so pretty! Nice and floofy and pink!

Melanie
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9118674

Yes, it's HUGE, Melanie. You have some VERY nice ones yourself!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9118797

Thanks! Here's a close-up look at Vas. Red Yen x Ascda. Peggy Foo. I think the color is a little truer in this picture.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9118931

Here's the opposite of floofy - Encyclia tampensis has 7 flowers open now. The stems are so fine I couldn't get it to stay still enough to get the purple netting in focus on the lip.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9118942

I need to get one of those. I can't live in Tampa (or its suburbs) and not own one. It seems wrong, LOL!

Melanie

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9119056

Melanie, the tag on this one says it came from Phelps Farm.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9119072

Yes, that's where I got it. I agree it is a must have for us locals.

Opening for me today is Bl. Mem. Bernice Foster.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica   Thumbnail by hawkarica

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9119087

When I was at St. Pete Orchid Farm they had the alba variety and some crosses but I didn't see any plain ol' Enclyclia tampensis. I'll remember Phelps has them.

Melanie

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9119763

Speaking of Encyclia tampensis...I took a little walk through a local park today and trekked into the swampy part. Of course, it's dry season here so the water was way down. Anyway, I saw about four E. tampensis growing on an as yet unidentified tree (I'm going to post it in the plant ID forum). I had seen them there before but they weren't in bloom so I was really excited to see them this time. Took Dad with me so he can find them now, too. He goes hunting every year and I'm training him to identify various plants and butterflies. Plus, as a woodturner he likes to identify trees. Where we were today there were cypress and honey locust as well as lots of blooming buttonbush, but all the orchids were growing on this other tree. I'll let you know when I find out what it is.

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9119764

Another Enclyclia tampensis

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9119804

Very nice, Melanie. I'll have to keep an eye our for them.

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 12, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9121422

My Rhyncholaelia digbyana is still opening blooms. I thought this pair made for a nice picture.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 12, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9121640

Here's the latest in our yard to bloom
Bratonia Shelob
And Platystele misera umbellata is starting to spike

Thumbnail by ted5310

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9122036

Those are both really fabulous blooms, Ted and Jim. I've been hovering around that R. digbiyana for a while. Maybe I'll get it for myself for Mother's Day.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9122086

Elaine, I recommend it as it was probably on my must have list. By the way, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Jim
Franco24
Hammonton, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9122118

Catt. walkeriana 'alba' and Den. Oriental 'Smile' are blooming away for me. The fragrances are unbelievable!

Thumbnail by Franco24   Thumbnail by Franco24

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9122166

Thet both look very nice, Franco. Congratulations!

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9122216

Usually I'm not crazy about pink and yellow together, but your Oriental 'Smile' is just gorgeous. Shows ta go ya, flowers can get away with anything. That's an elegant white Catt, too. Nice going Franco! How're your ghosts coming along?

Mine are all camping out this week, since DH will not think about plants while I'm away. I complained too soon about Green Hornet, its second spike that has been in evidence since January is now extending, so it will be in bloom again soon. Little dancing ladies have not stopped blooming since February. Spikes coming along on Howeara Lava Burst 'Puanani' too! Sure hope the temporary quarters will work for everybody.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 13, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9122234

This is one I'm still enjoying. Too bad the squirrels ate two of the buds. : ( I've also been fighting lubber grasshoppers who will eat anything!

Rby. Hawaiian Leopard x Grt. Why Not.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9122282

Everybody's blooms look spectacular. I'm having trouble keeping up and don't want to leave anyone out. Orchids definitely take a back seat to farming come Spring. When we get back to Atlanta for a few days I have little time to take photos. Then there's the city wedding planning and series of weekend parties coming up end of July. Oy!

Jim, Fuchs replaced my Rhync. digbyana a year and a half ago. The one I originally got from them was a little beat up and went down hill fast. I was very disappointed because they take a mature plant to bloom. The replacement was much nicer than the first plant and I hoped for something this year but not yet.

Ted, the Bratonia is so exotic looking and fun to bloom.

Franco, gorgeous Cattleya walkeriana var.alba. The alba would not have quotes since species variants or natural hybrids are not hybrid classed unless further hybridizing is done.

Elaine, 'tis the season for Prosthecea. My cochleata is spiking too. It was badly burned last March so it will be interesting to see what's what. I think both the regular and alba tampensis are in spike in the greenhut. This just shows how absent I am though.

Mellie, love the Vasco/Asco cross. Beautiful color. Thanks for the in situ photos too.

It's a rainy day in the mountains. We have intermittently been fogged in here. Luckily I spent several days planting and transplanting and now Mother Nature should do its magic. I harvested sixty three heads of garlic yesterday and haven't even begun digging the heirloom garlic. Beans are beginning to run so fences needed to be strung. We are eating garden lettuce, cilantro, parsley, arugula, turnips and radishes. We will start picking snow, snap and English peas next week.

I took some less than perfect photos the last two trips back to Atlanta. This is Aerangis ciliolata, my best in class orchid from last year's Atlanta Orchid Society show. It's even better this year and one of my very favorites. Eight spikes, but this is an early photo and when I got back the remaining spikes were open and starting to drop flowers.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9122291

Another...Leptotes bicolor. That's on my recommend list. Always a nice looking plant and very versatile in terms of growing conditions. It had way more flowers the week before but I never got to it. It also bloomed a few flowers in mid-winter.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9122293

Masdevilla vargasii. Love this Masdie! I mean, any Masdie that blooms on and off through our southern temps is a winner. The greenhut is regularly in the high eighties and it is unfazed. Really pretty plant too.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 13, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9122408

Very nice Franco and love that Aerangis ciliolata, Laurel
Melanie, really nice Rby. Hawaiian Leopard x Grt. Why Not
Here is Sodiro's Dracula ssp. Erythrocodon

Thumbnail by ted5310   Thumbnail by ted5310

Franco24
Hammonton, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9122776

Thanks everyone!
My ghosts are doing well. I recently acquired a Dendrophylax sallei. It's still not yet determined if it is a new species or just some of Florida's ghosts, Dendrophylax lindenii, that made their way over to Cuba. These guys are blooming sized, and one might even be spiking!

I absolutely love that Dracula ted! I have a small division myself that is just now putting out a new growth, i'm hoping to see some blooms in the near future. My Dracula bella, inequalis, and vampira are all spiking.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9126116

Nice show, Laurel. I really like the Leptotes bicolor and I can see why Aerangis ciliolata did so well in the show.

Dracula is a hoot, Ted. Very nice.

My Rhyncholaelia digbyana continues to open blooms and I am hoping it peaks for the Tampa Orchid Club meeting next Tuesday. I may get my first ribbon.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 17, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9127829

Jim, we had two of those Rhyncholaelia digbyana in bloom at our meeting tonight. Very cool plant. I also found a website that sells that Midnight Blue "Cardinal's Roost" for a reasonable price so I think I might get one when I get paid again.

I also bought Blc Bonanza Queen 'Panamint' after seeing it on here. It's just so nice!

In good news, I won two plants in the raffle at our orchid society meeting tonight. Mom got one and I picked the other. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Melanie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9128589

Jim, that is surely a beautiful orchid. I hope mine grows up to be like yours. :) How many flowers does it have to go? I've got mine at the top of the greenhut. They like a lot of light.

Congrats on the wins, Melanie. All I can say is bless the orchid society raffle table donors but beware the scale and snails that come with the prizes. Learned that the hard way.

Ted, love the Draculas though they are hard to grow here in the deep south. The Atlanta Botanical Garden keeps their collection hanging over an area with a large grated floor where all the greenhouse water is collected and in continuous motion. Thus a swamp cooler effect.

Ivan Portilla, of Ecuagenera, was at our meeting last week. He was visiting us before going to Miami for Redlands and brought hundreds and hundreds of plants for sale. It was great to get first crack at such a huge array of species plants. Orchids were piled high on six conference tables; bare root with a wad of sphag around the roots, polyfill to pad plant parts and then a mesh wrapper. I got four new babies Aeranthes ramosa, Dichaea muricata and I can't remember what else. Grief! It was like final call at Neiman Marcus. lol It took much of the next day to figure out what to mount and what to basket, then to make the mounts. Yesterday I kissed them all goodbye and came back to plant more veggies.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9128635

Our raffle prizes are provided by our sponsors - commercial growers - so I feel pretty comfortable with bringing them home although I will pay attention to them for any possible problems.

Here's the one I won, Oncda. Pacific Pagan ‘Kilauea’

Thumbnail by mellielong

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9128636

And Mom would have killed me if I didn't pick this one, Dtps. Minho Princess.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2012

Post #9128694

Thanks, Laurel. All of the flowers are now open and I count six.

Dtps. Minho Princess is a popular orchid, Melanie. I think most of us have it. It's a very good choice.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9129979

Hmm, I don't have it but it is very pretty. I have only one Phal and I picked it up off the loading dock of Trader Joes by the dumpster while doing one of my food redistribution runs. Well maybe I do have it because I have no clue what I picked up. lol

Six flowers, Jim. Wow! I've never seen one up close and personal with that many.

This message was edited May 19, 2012 8:27 PM
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 19, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9130097

Jim, you were waiting for this pic of encyclia bractescens

Thumbnail by ted5310

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9130341

I love it, Ted. These types of Encyclias are wonderful.

Today they installed the Aluminet over the roof of the greenhouse part of the OC. I love the way it looks from the inside; kind of a glowing silvery color. There is still lots of light but it looks refracted. It did seem cooler but the plants will be the ultimate judge of that. I'll have to post these pictures two at a time as the software rejects my post when I include all four.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9130344

Here are the other two Aluminet pics.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9130368

Carol's Gerberara Snow Ballet (Florida edition) is blooming again after a short vacation.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9130371

My Gongora smaug has dropped another rope with tiny pterodactyls clinging to it.

Jim

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 20, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9130526

Interesting timing on your post of Carol's Gerberara Snow Ballet, Jim. I met Carol yesterday. Sure is nice to meet and put a face to names from this board. We had a wonderful conversation and I just love Carol's garden. And I was fortunate enough to get a division of Gerberara Snow Ballet from her as well. And to see and smell Encyclia lancefolia and Euchili citrina was really a treat.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9130549

Aluminet looks great, Jim. Very "cool" as intended. Will you be able to take it off for the winters? The tie-downs look like they're intended to undo as needed.

I do just love that Snow Ballet. Does it grow like a weed and change color for you, too?
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9130631

It is possible to remove it in winter but to remove and reinstall would be a big job. It is designed to keep the heat in in the winter and keep it out in the summer. Let's hope it works as advertised as this was not a cheap adventure

Ted, congrats on meeting Carol. I'm envious. I have been able to meet Laurel, Elaine and Melanie so I'm two up on you. What a great group we have!

Speaking of the Rhyncholaelia digbyana, it is in full bloom with six magnificent flowers, five facing one direction and another that I call 'cow lick' going straight up and to the rear.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9130636

Grammatophylum scriptum update. I may take her to the orchid club meeting to be judged as well. The size makes it hard to transport.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9130643

Finally, Miltassia Aztec 'Toni' is in full bloom. I'll have to send this in two parts due to the software limitations. I can't even send three pictures per message.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9130645

And the other two pics:

Jim

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9130887

Jim, that Miltassia would be my choice to take to the orchid club meeting along with R. Digbyana. It is gorgeous, and will fit in the back seat of your truck without danger of breaking off flowers. Those flowers are huge, too! What a fabulous color.

The Grammy would have to sit on the front seat with a seat belt on . . . like a wayward child. But it is beautiful, too.

Elaine
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 20, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9130923

I vote for "Toni" as well. And the next time I get to Sebring to see my Mom, I'll have to look some of you up. That way I can play both coasts and catch up to you. LOL
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 20, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9131169

Jim, You're bound to get some ribbons! How could Digbyana not get one? Ted neglected to mention that he reciprocated with a division of Neofinita falcata. It was fun talking to someone that knows why I'm always whining about the weather. LOL! Out of curiosity, does your Gerberara open that pale, or is it just that you wait 'til there are more flowers open to take the pic? I've noticed that mine is pale when it doesn't get enough light. The more sun, the deeper the color.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 20, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9131322

Ted, next time you visit your Mom in Sebring, we'll all meet in Apopka and have an orchid hunt.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2012
3:01 AM

Post #9131437

Good idea, Elaine. Will drag Melanie along and hound Laurel until she relents as well.

Jim
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9131450

I am working the next three days. Will try to take photos and post.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9131641

Please let me know when you plan a trip to Apopka. Now that I'm "moved" (not unpacked but moved) I can make room for a couple new babies.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9131980

Of course, Jean. We won't forget you. How did the move go?

Jim

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9132228

Road trip! Yea! I heard the words "cheap vandas" and that was the deciding factor for me.

Melanie
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9133898

Gotta run, more later.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9134303

OK, that didn't generate much excitement. Let's see if you can guess which one was picked as best of show. I took four orchids in to be judged and you have seen them all here. First the Miltassia Aztec 'Toni', second the Rhyncholaelia digbyana, third the Grammatophyllum scriptum and finally the Lc George Baldwin X C Trithena which opened up three new blooms this morning so I just had to include it. One more look. I'll have to do this in two parts.

Jim

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9134308

And the last two. Let's see if you can guess the judges choice.

JIm

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9134317

I'm excited! I would have voted for Lc George Baldwin X C Trithena, but you already know I have a weakness for purple. They all look like winners to me.

Melanie

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

May 23, 2012
12:20 AM

Post #9134616

The plants are all so perfect Jim , no marks on the leaves anywhere and such green and big plants.
I'd say digbyana
SCBegoniaGuy
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9134862

As usual, I'm hiding in the shadows of this thread. It's been a crazy spring. I have nothing blooming this time of year, so I enjoy seeing everybody's flowers!

Jim, congratulations! I'm admittedly biased to that blue Lc. But I'd think either the Gram or the Rhyn won the award. Like Bree said, your plants all look perfectly healthy. How long will you keep us in suspense? :o)

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9135599

I guess no one else wants to guess so I will tell you it was the Grammatophylum scriptum that brought home the ribbon. The judges did like the other three, especially the digbyana, but the size of the Grammatophylum blew them away. I guess size matters after all. :>)

Jim
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9135613

Bill Thoms, the orchid guru who wrote the book on Bulbophyllums, is a member of our local orchid club. I asked him a couple of months ago if he had a nice Bulbo bicolor for sale and yesterday he brought it for me. I'm just thrilled. This is Bulb. bicolor 'Frank Drew'.

Jim

ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 23, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9135986

Aw Jim, I was just going to guess Grammatophylum scriptum lol

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9136005

I would have guessed the Miltassia, but I was on planes all day. The Lc. is gorgeous, too.

Congrats, Jim! Let's face it, the judges gave YOU the ribbon just for lugging that big Grammy in to the orchid club meeting. Should have been a gold medal.

I'll have new pictures tomorrow when there's some good light. My Enc. tampensis still has flowers, and some of them are orange now!

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9137134

Enc. tampensis fading out beautifully. The flowers go from greenish to yellow to golden before suddenly turning brown and dropping.

Enc. alata X Early Bird has lasted wonderfully, too. I expected it to be long over by now.

Last, an exciting surprise for me, Den. Judith Nakayama that I got from the local orchid orphanage and was told that it had "already bloomed". Those little aliens on top there would be buds, wouldn't they? This is the first Den I've had so . . well it doesn't exactly spike like my other 'chids have. It's popped a new pb since I left, too.

Never a dull moment with orchid growing, huh?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy   Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9138118

I still like the tampensis. It really has great form.

Jim
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9138635

On the move - I'll be unpacking for months. Between this place being smaller than out last home & the addition still not being finished, many boxes are still not unpacked. I still need to replace the old carpet in the DR with bamboo. Waiting for the threshold to get in so I can get that done.

I do have 2 Orchids putting out bloom shoots so I guess they are happy in FL!!!!
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 26, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9139352

Jean, chances are your orchids will love it here.

Here is the photo of me and the Grammatophylum scriptum in the winner's circle. At least the orchid looks good. Use me for size perception only. :>)

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9139624

That is one BIG plant. I sure wish my foliage looked half as good as yours.
I hope to repot some of my Orchids this weekend. Most have really outgrown their pots & I doube there is any bark left.
GreenEyedGuru
SF Bay Area, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9147071

Sneaking this one in under the wire!

Thumbnail by GreenEyedGuru

hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9147541

And a fine sneak it was, Green Eyes. I love the white edge with the dark color on your Phal.

It is the first of June and the monsoon season is here. It seems like I took a nap and the severe drought turned into flooded streets. Anyway, time for a new thread. Please join me at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262497/

Jim

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America