-
AuthorContent
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9106400

I am getting conflicting information on how to treat coreopsis seeds. The seed packet from Stokes says to cover the seeds with fine soil. A website on how to grow coreopsis says to press the seeds into the soil and not cover them at all as they need light to germinate. So who's correct?
trc65
Galesburg, IL

May 2, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9107182

I would follow Stokes advise. They are one of the best seed companies out there. BTW what species/variety are you growing? Conditions needed will vary by species/variety/
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9107232

Coreopsis seeds need to be covered very thin: 1/15th inch. They need some light to germinate, but they need a good contact with the soil.
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9109045

I'm growing Coreopsis grandiflora var. Sunray. To cover my bases I covered part of the planting thinly and simply pressed the remainder of the seeds into the soil, lightly sprayed them, and then covered the pots with a piece of scrap glass to keep them from drying out. I sat the pots on a northeast facing windowsill and today after only 4 days, I already have seedlings! Stokes said to expect germination in about 20 days. A planting of Shasta daisy left uncovered and treated the same way is also germinating, again much earlier than expected. Thanks to Jonna and trc65 for your prompt replies. I love this website!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America