Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: 2012 MAY PLANT SWAP SHOW & TELL PT 1

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

NO LESS THEN 5 PLANTS
SHARE PERENNIAL ONLY UNLESS YOU HAVE A SPECIAL DEAL WITH YOUR PARTNER ,
YOU MAY SHARE BULBS & CUTTINGS IF YOUR PARTNERS WANTS THEM.
CHECK THE ZONE HARDNESS FOR THE PLANTS YOU SHARE .
SEND PLANTS PRIOITY MAIL WITH CONF#
IF YOU FIND YOU CANNOT SEND ON TIME JUST LET YOUR PARTNER KNOW THIS .
THEY MUST BE NICE SIZE OR WELL ROOTED PLANTS .

JUST WANTED TO POST ALSO THAT YOU LET US KNOW WHEN YOU HAVE REC'D YOUR PLANTS . A PICTURE WOULD BE NICE BUY SOME MAY
NOT BE ABLE TO BUT LIST WOULD BE NICE & JUST A TY TO YOUR PARTNER :)

THANK YOU ALL FOR JOINING US

SPRING 2012 PLANT SWAP " WISH LIST"
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243397/

HERE IS A CHAT LINK IF YOU WANT TO CHAT WITH US
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246832/

APRIL SWAP
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248330/

HERE ARE YOUR PARTNERS :

5---DEEJAY9-------OBERON46----SCBUTTERCUP-----FRUITOFTHEVINE----POISONDARTFROG--WARRIORWISDOMKATHY
4-- FRUITOFTHEVINE-----DEEJAY49-----CHELLFLOWER----AMANDAESQ---CRIT
3--CRIT---HOLLYSMAMMA----CVILLE_GARDENER--FOTV
3--- ALIKAT32----WWKATHY---HOLLYSMAMMA---OBERON46
3--WWKATHY----DEEJAY9---CVILLE_GARDENER---ALIKAT32
2--HOLLYSMAMMA----CRIT--CZIMMERMAN00
2--CVILLE_GARDENER---------WWKATHY------CRIT
2-POISONDARTFROG----DEEJAY--VELMANSIA
2-VELMANSIA----CZIMMERMAN00----POISONDARTFROG
2--CZIMMERMAN00-----VELMANSIA--- HOLLYSMAMMA
2--AMAMDAESQ-----FOTV---SCARLETBEAN
1--CHELLFLOWER----FOTV
1---DIAMOND9192001----GOLDHILLAL
1---GOLDHILLAL/CRYSTAL----DIAMOND9192001
1--SCBUTTERCUP---DEEJAY9
1--CHEERMOM----OUTLAWHEART81
1--OUTLAWHEART81----CHEERMOM
1---OBERON46----ALIKAT32
1--SCARLEBEAN-----AMANDAESQ

This message was edited May 5, 2012 3:22 PM

Thumbnail by deejay9

RECEIVED SWAPS PLEASE TRY TO TAKE PHOTOS TO SHOW US LET YOUR PARTNER KNOW IF YOU CANNOT FOR MAYBE SHE CAN BEFORE SHE MAILS . TY ALL

DEEJAY9----OBERON46----REC'D
DEEJAY9---POISONDARTFROG---REC'D
DEEJAY9---SCBUTTERCUP-----REC'D
DEEJAY9--CZIMMERMAN----REC'D
CZIMMERMAN00----DEEJAY9---REC'D
FOTV--DEEJAY9-----------REC'D
FOTV--CHELLFLOWER-----REC'D
FOTV--AMANDAESQ-------REC'D
FOTV---CRIT-------REC'D
CRIT--FOTV----REC'D
HO0LLYSMAMMA--CZIMMERMAN00---REC'D
HOLLYSMAMMA--ALIKAT32---REC'D
WWKATHY----DEEJAY9---REC'D
WWKATHY---CVILLE_GARDENER-----REC'D
WWKATHY-----ALIKAT32--REC'D
CVILLE_GARDENER---WWKATHY------REC'D
POISONDARTFROG--DEEJAY9----REC'D
POISONDARTFROG--VELMASIA----REC'D
VELMASIA--CZIMMERMAN00-------REC'D
VELMASIA--POISONDARTFROG-----REC'D
CZIMMERMAN00--VELMASIA-------REC'D
CZIMMERMAN00-CHEERMOM------REC'D
CHELLFLOWER---FOTV----REC'D
DIAMOND9192001---GOLDHILLAL----REC'D
GOLDHILLAL--DIAMOND9192001-------REC'D
SCBUTTERCUP--DEEJAY9----REC'D
CHEERMOM--CZIMMERMAN00--- REC'D
AMANDAESQ----FOTV------------REC'D
OBERON46--DEEJAY9-------REC'D
OBERON46----VELMASIA----REC'D
OBERON46-DIAMOND9192001---REC'D

AMANDAESQ---SCARLEBEAN------REC'D
SCARLEBEAN---AMANDAESQ---
OBERON46--ALIKAT32---REC'D
CZIMMERMAN---HOLLYSMAMMA----REC;D
CVILLE_GARDENER----CRIT---REC;D
HOLLYSMAMMA--CRIT----REC'D
ALIKAT32--WWKATHY------REC;D
ALIKAT32--HOLLYSMAMMA------REC'D
ALIKAT32--OBERON46----REC'D
CRIT--HOLLYSMAMMA----REC'D
CRIT--CVILLE_GARDENER----REC'D
DEEJAY9--WWKATHY----REC'D
DEEJAY9---FOTV-----REC'D

This message was edited May 25, 2012 8:55 AM

This message was edited Jun 5, 2012 1:43 PM

This message was edited Jun 5, 2012 7:38 PM

Elk Horn, KY

Recieved from velmansia
hosta patriot
hosta pauls glory
hosta green standard
hosta grreen brim
oxalis purple
tiarella :)))
Varigated solomons seal
Lamiun silver beacon
several more items, the box was packed!! Will have to check when i get home to c what other items were. Thanks for a great box, velmansia!!

Thumbnail by czimmerman00

WOW nice nice box you all are so fast also :) i have more time this week to work on my boxes but will try to send all out by FRI or SAT.
off to dig plants :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Been offline for awhile due to email glitch. Even the tech couldn't fix it. But all's well now (I think). Sheesh.

I'm still here and sending to WWKathy and Crit this month. ^_^

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Oops, meant to say I've already received from WWKathy:

Daucus carota
Shasta Daisy 'Becky'
Penstemon 'Rocky Mtn. Blue'
Flax
Agastache 'Blue Fortune'

Great box and all things I can use. :-)

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

yay!!!! looks like my buddy & I have a lot in common! tuberose & gardenia are my favorite scents!
I have been planning to get some new daylillies as well so maybe we can collaborate and each buy & divide up some that we are both looking for. :)

ok need a name on this 1st one please .
# 2 all the plants i BOUGHT :) Silly Me
#3 is a campanula but looks like a rose & It is BLUE
Just love them going to go get a few more UNLESS SOMEONE HERE HAS THEM GROWING WILD :)

EEK I HAve AUNTS crawling on me time for a shower & then get ready for BINGO.
have a great eve

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9
Antioch, TN

Susie, the first one looks like: lysimachia ciliata firecracker

Oooh! #3 is a beauty! I am curious to know the name also.

This message was edited May 2, 2012 4:18 PM

Cuyahoga Heights, OH(Zone 5a)

That campanula is gorgeous! I am green with envy ;)

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow, look at the early birds. I'm planning to send one box a week in the following order:
Patti, Amanda, Chell, and Susie. Amanda and I are exchanging at her plant swap on the 19th.
If I can get boxes out earlier, I will and will always D-mail the delivery confirmation numbers to my 'partner of the week' and you, Susie.

Good looking haul there and lots of healthy interesting plants already received.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Could the third one be lisianthus. Kind of looks like it. I have tried to grow it from seed and after four packets of seeds I have one little start that I am babying and frequently praying over. Does anyone know how to give the kiss of life to a plant?

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Susie....the third one is Campanula persicifolia 'La Belle', peachleaved bellflower. Sun/part shade, 24"^X18">. Very double, China-blue bellflowers appear like little roses on short stems, just 24" tall, in early summer. Basil foliage is nearly evergreen. PP#14710 Propagation prohibited. Cold hardy -30 to -20. www.bloomingadvantage.com.
Isn't it cool!!!!!! I went and got my tag out of the garden when I saw your pix. Is fairly new for me.

Boy it would grow here. I didn't think it would. MUST give it a try. Thanks Kathy

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Velma.....is that the lysimachia with yellow flowers? Think I've seen that one at the denver botanic gardens. Love the foliage tho, lol. Was just a bit startling with those bright yellow flowers and foliage combo.

Was outside weeding alllllll day. Decided to look up, and there were 4 deer just 20ft from me. Got up and found 11 more just behind the garage. Drat!!!!!!! Tried scarring them off and they just stood there starring at me like 'What do you want'......... Errggggggh!!! They were in my garden the other day and had eaten the tops off several of my Columbines again. (d---------). These are the ones I've been waiting for 3 or 4 years to bloom. I wanna see them, 'spose to be a new series of fragrant ones ( Aquilegeia Sweet Rainbows grown from seed). I'm trying to get my iris bed weeded so I can get that elec fence hooked up again and then out comes the peanutbutter, just for them, I HOPE they like it!!!!!!

Oh and susie, any of your iris would be loved, I started looking at all of them and it seems like I was writing down almost every name on a list I was making, lol.

Pix: hesperis just starting to bloom, (this pix from last year), should be smelling realll good here in a few weeks, yummm.

And susie aren't I sending to you this month also, it's not listed.... and also I am sending to Alicat.

This message was edited May 2, 2012 7:20 PM

This message was edited May 2, 2012 7:24 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ok...Duh me...I see my name up there now, (third times a charm so they say).

pix: new iris from botanic garden sale, am looking forward to seeing it again!!! Bot sale coming up in a week, yeah a shopping trip to find some unusuals, so much fun....

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Susie,
Wow! Love #3 too! Very beautiful!
Mary -- maybe a ritual like a rain dance round your little plant....I believe in the power of dance and TLC....it could be a "kiss of life" dance! :) Good luck with that very special baby plant!

I've arranged with my partners to send out my boxes mid-may....it's been so COLD here in NH that the plants have stalled in the growing and I think they are trying to head back down in the earth! Each night we've been just at 32 -- walking that freezing line. We've had rain for the past two nights so that's brought us up to about 35/40....brrrrrr! I'm ready for some sun!

Does anyone have a great idea to plant tags that LAST? I've used the plastic tags but they break off and never make it thru the winters here under all the snow! I've got extensive garden journals that track the bloom dates, weather, and what I've planted where (mostly) but I just can't draw a detailed map of where everything is! HELP! I want to keep track of what I'm getting (just so you know I have ALOT of NOIDs in my gardens - even when it's been me planting it cuz I loose those darn tags!)

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Kathy....does the electric fence really keep them out? We have deer all over the place and I've even seen them jump over the fence my neighbor has (electric too) and hang out with the horses eating the grass and hay in there....a few times I've been surprise thinking I'm looking at horses and it's really deer out there.

They do a job on my hostas in the back and even have been eating the tops off my raspberry bushes! BRATS!

This year they've been trimming my front daylily clumps! 11 -- amazing and that they didn't run away!

I can't wait to post the photos of all the trades....I am so excited to have been welcomed into the group and a big thanks for WWK for pointing me in this groups direction!

Hugs to all my new friends!

Candi

I don't have any new photos of plants this year but below is a pic from last year's gardens....some type of day lily (again -- no idea!) I'm totally the NOID queen!

Thumbnail by AliKat32
Antioch, TN

Kathy, the Lysimachia is the purple plant with yellow flowers.

I need to know also about tagging. The plastic does break and I have tried the metal but the ink faded and the metal rusted. I thought about using wooden slats and apply shellac to preserve.

TY ALL & YES KATHY YOU ARE RIGHT IT IS A CAMPANULA persicifolia 'La Belle', THEY CAUGHT MY EYE & I just had to have a couple :) & yes we are trading :)

alana Looks as if I Now have " lysimachia ciliata firecracker"

I'm hoping to go back tomorrow for a few more plants That I Just cannot live without :) Ya know ??? :)
& Thank you all for helping with ID"S .

They say we have a storm moving in tomorrow so may not get online if that happens I don't like to take risk :) well its late & I'm off here have a great evening

velmasia Just write on blinds with a PENCILE IT WON"T WASH OFF

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Did you not take note of the peanutbutter...lol. It's just for them !!!!!! It will get put on aluminumn foil and wadded onto one of the hot wires. They will take a sniff and ZZZZAAAPPPP!!!!! Hopefully it will train them to stay away (read about this tactic in a book on how to deter them). My elec fence is solar from the farm store, I just need to get that weeding done, more iris planted and then ZZZZZZZAAAAPPPP, with a big smile, almost hope I get to see it too, Sorry, I know that's naughty buttttt, I've had enough of them. Come on 15 deer, that tooo many, they have become over populated and it's time someone trained them to be nice....... lol.
pix: not from today, but shows that many frequent me numerous times, grrrrrrrr!!!!
pix: here's another goodie I'm looking forward to begin blooming this year, Osteospurmum barberiae compactum Purple Mountain, (Purple Mountain Sun Daisy), brought back to Denver and introduced into commerce by Panayoti Kelaidis of the denver botanic gardens, is native to the higher altitudes (9200ft) of South Africa. It blooms from late spring-frost at 12", a Plant Select from 1998. Z5/6. ( Psssst..I may have to pick up a few at the bot. sale for some trading,lol, oops that's a secret, lol).

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Boy, WWkathy, those deer ARE ganging up on you!

Looks like we are all in agreement about the campanula. Fantabulous!

Just wanted to peek at the trades. Thanks for letting me into this great circle of folks. This is my first so the lovely and talented AmandaEsq is holding my hand thru the trade. I am enjoying the heck out of this!

-Jessica

GM all great day outside & I Have extra help here with daddy so now i can go out & Play in the dirt :) I Hope to get my boxes out Next week . ya all have a great day . Jess welcome to a great group of gal's when you have questionn just ask someone will usuall be here to help if they can susie

Elk Horn, KY

Heres the other things i got from velmansia
Ghost fern
Epimedium:))
lenten rose:)
bloodwort
gladiola priscilla

Antioch, TN

Susie, do you mean regular pencil or permanent marker?

Can I send you some $ to pick me up 2 campanulas when you go back. What other goodies did you find there?........ lol
Don't forget to get some for AliKat32 and Scarletbean ........right guys!

velma

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

FOTV has a label printer and when she trades with you there will be no mistaking which plants in your garden came from her.

I think she puts her labels on old blinds cut up and I must say the ones I have in my yard look as fresh as the day I put them in last season.

Someone gave someone else (HA!) one of those label maker thingees but I don't know what flavor it was. Will someone - FROOT - jump in to educate folks about your tags?

I have not had enough diversity in my garden to tag to this point, I don't think, but this may be the year . . ..

A.

p.s. Scarletbean yer a hoot! We're lucky to have you here. :)

Greenfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Velma - I'm so in for Susie to get some plants for us!

Old blinds -- maybe we can get some at those places that cut blinds for people.....I'll check out home depot or lowes this weekend .....maybe they have some extras left over that they give away... I'll let you know.... It's worth a try as everything else just breaks or fades!

Yahoo -- tomorrow is Friday!

Evening all you friends.

Candi, you would have loved our heat today, pushing 90, but oh my gosh with nearly 100% humidity and no breeze, it was almost unbearable out there, even early this morning.

The label maker I use is a Brother P-Touch, model PT-1290, but there are many. I store mine in a ziploc bag along with a supply of cut up blinds. A used set should be easy to find at your local Goodwill, thrift store, or at a yard sale. This is a handy set-up to take in the garden. In case it sprinkles or my hands are dirty, it's easy to turn the machine on and type through the baggie, print, cut, and affix the label on the spot. Next photo is a 3-year old label, one of the first I made after getting back into gardening the same year. Two years ago I purchased a few Daylily seedlings and used an Industrial Red Sharpie to number each one. That technique as well has held up with no fading. Another idea hubby suggested but I haven't tried, is to use an automotive paint pen, the kind that are used to touch up parts under the hood of your vehicle and are able to stand extremely high temperatures. Hope the info is helpful.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for filling in those blanks for us, Froot. I don't think I've ever seen the label maker up close, but it's quite impressive. I'm trying to imagine you in the garden whipping your label maker from its holster in the rain. :D

You're such a loveable nut. Now don't get me started when I really shoot. Even hubby, who has hunted all his life, stands back and watches me beat him at a little target practice. I'd never hurt a flea, so to speak :) But Katy bar the door if somebody tries to break in. Anybody else here a pistol-packing Mama or enjoy target practicing?

Antioch, TN

Czimmerman, your plants have arrived. As soon as I opened the box I went out and started planting before I realized I need to take pictures. Will post tomorrow.

My collection of plants include:
2- Clustered bellflowers
Black-eyed susan -sunset
White coneflower
Sedum-autumn delight
Bergenia

This message was edited May 3, 2012 7:32 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Not here, though when Court and his step-dad pull out the stops up there in Stuart, VA, they make me shoot one now and then. Don't even know what I'm doing or if I hit the target.

O well that's not true. Bull's eye. Every time. :D

I have a ten gauge double barrel shotgun my dad gave me. I have shot it and it sounds like a cannon. I inherited two rifles also, WWI mauser and French LaBelle. Gave those to my son. I think I shot a spruce hen when I was a kid. Felt sick when I saw that stupid bird dead.

Velma, how lucky you are receiving such great plants, especially the clusterd bellflowers. Two years ago I winter sowded a mix of Campanulas and ended up with the prettiest White and Purple blooms.

I knew you had a good eye, Manda, at a lot more than I-spying natives!

You all will not believe the boxes I got today I got 3 & all were packed to the Hilt Infact I Only got through 2 of the boxes before i had to take my x SIL to GR & As we were ON the way home Jim called me to say Our power was out & I had to get Batteries for the flashlights .
well i got home about 10;30 & we just got the power back on about 10 mins ago & the rains are starting in again so Here is a SNEAK PEEK OF WHAT I GOT FROM OBERON46 . tomorrow I will list it all .
right now i need to lay back so i can get up in the morning , been a long day here.

MARY I Love all that You have sent & as soon as I Can get back out here in the morning I will share with everyone More Pic's & The list.
some i have in the gardens already :) :)
GN All

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Mary, hubby has his late Grandfather's and my late Dad's shotguns locked in his cabinet. Both are 12 guage, I think. I'm as afraid of guns as my Mother was and only remember going squirrel hunting with my dad when I was really little, but I'm game to target practice any day.

Hubby bagged a Spring Gobbler two weeks ago and only kept the breasts. Well, I can't say that. He kept the trophy tailfeathers that were so pretty, but our kitties scattered them in the wind. I had to go online to find out how to cook wild turkey breasts. After an overnight brine, I seasoned and roasted them and prepared a side dish of wild rice, sauteed onions, celery, and carrots. I took one bite of the turkey and spit it out, thinking how beautiful that bird must have been in full strut. I ate a bowl of the rice and veggies and gave the leftovers to a neighbor the next day.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Got my trades from alicat> 2 iris g., 3 iris g., Astrantia major (masterwort), geranium I believe is striatum (color???), 2 iris siberica (color???) gosh hope I didn't miss anything, will have to look at pix. Will be planting the iris tomorrow, got the others done today.
Just wanted to let you know I've been wanting astrantia for years, and the geranium will be replacing one I had 20 years ago, yeahhhh!!! thankyou so much!!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

My other trade I recieved is from Cville, 3 iris g. (bright yellow ruffle), 2 iris g. (purple and white), daylilly Pandora's Box, daylilly Sunday's Gloves, 1 delphinium grandiflorum Summer Nights (blue, 18" and blooms all summer), 1 garden angel. I need to look at the pix to see if I missed anything.
Thankyou sooo much!!!!! And I'm curious, have the iris already bloomed? Need to find a special spot to plant that angel, maybe she'll help scare the deer off, lol. Just need to get the iris planted tomorrow. Thanks again Joyce!!!

Edited..... I am soooo sorry joyce ( HAPPGARDEN) for confusing the names. I'm bad, naughty me, lol. Thanks for those that corrected me......Kathy.

This message was edited May 4, 2012 10:25 PM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Kathy, that box isn't from me. ;-) I'm still rooting a couple of shrubs for you, remember. Or at least trying to. That's a slow process sometimes. I probably won't mail your box for another couple of weeks. But it IS coming so don't worry about that. ^_^

Nice box from Joyce though. ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.