AuthorContent
Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 2, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9106772

It's always something :)
Usually when I order plants I sit here waiting and waiting for them.
Not these babies- I no more than clicked "place your order" than they had them in the mail and arriving at my house days before I expected them.
I will not have their spot ready until Saturday morning :(
I have the roots wrapped in paper toweling and then the plants sitting in a couple of inches of cool water with a drop of Superthrive. The water is not above the crown and neither is the paper toweling- they are sitting in a cool garage with some very bright indirect light.
Will this arrangement work until Saturday AM?
Should I change the water daily?
Pull them out and let them air in damp paper towels for a bit each day?
I have pots and potting mix but they are going into the ground Saturday- I don't mind potting them up if that is best but wondered about the stress to the plant and don't know which way they are better off.

So... pot or leave in water?
And if I leave them in water do I change it or air the roots ever?
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9108500

It's always something, LOL.

They will be fine left right in the water until Saturday. I might change the water once. After 3 days it usually gets a little stinky.

You're a good hosta mama.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9108755

I've had no difficulty just keeping them in a jar of water for a couple of days.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

May 7, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9115091

Crearb, wrap them in a moist paper towel. and place them in the crisper of your fridge. Whenever you get ready to plant them take them out and let them get acclimated to the outside for one day prior to planting.. They can live in that crisper for a while.. Actually they start growing roots in the crisper. :) I have about 200 in the fridge, but they are bagged in soil.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America