Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-South Gardening: May 2012...Let Us See Those Flowers!

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 283, Views: 1,938
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9108232

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1250471/

I hope everything has turned green and is adorned with lovely flowers! Show us a picture!

Thumbnail by duckmother
Click the image for an enlarged view.

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9108245

Well, my FBS cannot decide if it wants to stay at 190 or stay at 205! I can see that I will be on 4 pills a day instead of 2. Thank you all for the kind words, concern and pep talks! I love each of you dearly!! I am still putting plants in dirt that I bought on our trip...and still have LOTS to go. So, what am I doing today? Going plant shopping!! I am such a plant freak...thank goodness y'all are too ;o))
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9108250

Not sure everybody saw this so I'm going to re-post because I thought it was such a great site.

I just found this terrific website for Alabama and thought you might want to check your state and see if there is something similar. It is basically a Plant Atlas and you can pick your county. Love it!! Snoop around and see if there is one available for your state and let me know. Surely there is!!

http://www.floraofalabama.org/Default.aspx

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 3, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9108349

Kim, keep on trucking, your exercise will help, maybe you just need a little more time for it to come down.
Mine was 89 this morning. It has been higher the last few days as I had the tummy troubles , but now is getting back toward a normal (with meds) reading.

Elaine, I tried to find one for MS--nothing, it is a nice site

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9108501

I know it's a pain Kim but you will get it under control.
I'm in Natchez at the regional MG conference and have been buying plants too!! They have some great vendors I've bought some stuff Fromm . Also have been to two local nurseries and found a few things at both. Going to hit another one today!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9108606

Kim I know you can do it.

Go to the Stine Hardware store there in Natchez, Charlotte. I got my 3 queen palms there for a very good price.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9108629

Thanks for the tip Jeri! That's the one place I haven't been. It plan to. They gave us a $ 10 coupon yesterday. I've been to Jerry's and Live Oak here in town. There are some great vendors here with some really good looking plants. Bought a really pretty Japanese iris. One guy has a really big assortment of small Japanese maples. Ones I haven't sen before. I haven't bought one yet but think I will get one to put in a container

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9109945

Marilyn is getting married tomorrow as planned, if you did not see her FB post, her children's dad, Tom passed away sometime early this morning.
I am sure they would appreciate any prayers you could offer for them, MeChelle is part of the ceremony as is her hubby Ray, and I know it is a roller coaster of emotions for all of them. Marilyn said the funeral would be next week.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9109962

Thanks for the info, Sandra. I did not see the post on FB...

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9110072

I didn't see it either. Thanks Sandra for letting us know. I agree it must be a roller coaster ride right now.

Marilyn please convey to your children how sorry we are that your ex-husband pasted away!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you all!!!

I am happy for you as you begin this new life with Al. I know that you have prayed about this and received the affiirmation that this is the next path that you are to journey down!!! May God bless this union and bring you and Al a wonderful life!!! I love you!!!

((((HUGS))))

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9110856

Please prepare yourself to be bored. The daylilies have started ! It is not looking to be a good bloom season, as this spring has been so dry, in fact I had one open today that was so small, I did not even want to take a picture of it. I also have a couple of mature clumps that look like they are dying. We need rain here badly.

Thumbnail by slcdms   Thumbnail by slcdms
Click an image for an enlarged view.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9110864

Kim I forgot to say the containers in the first shot are beautiful !

Hot lips has been perfect this year

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9110867

close up

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9110868

This little bloom was one month old yesterday

Thumbnail by slcdms

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9110872

I just got home from Natchez and was welcomed by a bunch of daylilies that are blooming! So exciting to watch them open!! Love yours Sandra!! I'll try to share some pictures this weekend.

I know that Marilyn's children are having a really tough weekend. Even though they were expecting his death, it's never easy when it actually happens.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9110875

Well isn't that a cute little bloom!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 4, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9110878

We think so, Jerry got the results from his first post treatment draw and he is still showing NO hepatitis count !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9110880

Yeah for Jerry!!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9110981

Sandra that is wonderful news!!! I'm so glad for Jerry!!! Justin is adorable!!! He's discovered his hand at one month.

Charlotte did you make it to Stines?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9111005

Yes jeri! I found several things there. We would have found even more probably if we had not been so tired and so hot. We had spent 2 hours on a walking tour of about 8 gardens just before we went. I found a really big pot of striped cast iron plant at Live Oak. I had looked everywhere for it. I got the last pot they had. Couldn't believe the price. He quoted me 15.00 and it actually should have been 20.00 ( he was looking at the pot from a distance) and then he also gave me a 15% discount off the 15.00. It was a 5 gallon pot. Cindy I'll save some for you.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2012
2:09 AM

Post #9111088

Winecups,gaura and Cornation Gold yarrow

Thumbnail by bigred

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 6, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9112562

Great news on Jerry, Sandra.

My DLs are beginning to bloom. We need rain badly too.

Terrye
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9112673

So happy for you and Jerry! Adorable one month old bloom...bet the smell is wonderful ;o)

Well, I cannot seem to win for losing. My nephew had his First Communion last night and then we all went to Outback for a celebration dinner. My stomach began to ache and I left as soon as I finished eating. By the time we got home, I was severe pain. Kidney Stone! Now it is stuck in my ureter and I continue have spasms which causes terrible pain and vomiting. What a waste of a good meal!! They may admit me to hospital today if I don't improve. I have already been told that I cannot work tomorrow and possibly Tuesday. In 7 years, I have not ever called in sick...I am going to break my record :( I would sneak off to work except my urologist is one of my 15 bosses! LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9112695

Kim you can't win for losing!!! Hope you get that thing passed soon!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9112729

Kim I'm telling you, you can't win!!!! Hope it gets better soon so you can rest They told my DIL that if you dehydrate, you can get kidney stones. How are you doing with the diabetes?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9112742

Pictures I took today.

The back side of the waterfall.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9112756

Angel trumpets by pool.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9112759

The walkway by the back fence.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9112762

My bench and Sandra's Teahouse.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9112767

A pictures from the teahouse.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9112770

My rose bush that blooms once a year.

Thumbnail by jeri11

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 6, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9112821

Everything looks good, but I like the view from our tea house best!! What happened to the amaryllises by the pool?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9112830

They got covered up with too much mulch and didn't return one year. It's been gone for probably 3 years. I didn't save a one either.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9112896

Everything looks so pretty and slush! The rose that only blooms once a year is worth it.

I've been working all day again trying to get mine cleaned up! I'm making progress!! Will soon be able to take pictures!

I don't know what the temp is but it is HOT! I bet I've had a gallon of tea and water!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9113075

I hoed 2 rows of my veg. garden this morning. I gave up at 12:30 PM b/c it was too hot!!! Still have one more row to go. My Grandaddy and Daddy would be so proud.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 6, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9113160

Hello all! trying to catch up! Kim, sorry to hear that you are battling a kidney stone on top of everything else. Hope you get that passed quickly - they are SO painful!

Great news Sandra on Jerry's test results! Praise God for answered prayers! I can't believe that baby is already a month old!!! WHERE does the time go?? It just seems to be on super sonic speed or something!

This month is unreal! We have something almost every single day! I may collapse in june if I can just get thru May! Might have to go to So Louisiana and camp out in Sandra and Jeri's teahouse to recover!! ^_^

everyone's blooms are beautiful! Have several DLs getting ready to bloom but nothing yet. Had a small iris blooming on friday but that was probably the last one. My hot lips has been blooming like crazy.

We went to the governor's mansion yesterday and they had butterfly bushes blooming already as well.
Mine are growing like crazy but no blooms yet. Saw a poor little butterfly and hummer searching and searching for blooms the other day... all I really had they were interested in was the hot lips! My oleanders are blooming now too.

have a great evening everyone. I hope to get to bed early for once!

Genna
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9113821

Jeri, your 'yard' looks like a botanical garden! Just lovely. I know what you mean about the heat. I can hardly stand to be outside working after I get home from work. We were out of town all weekend so I tried to do everything last Wednesday and Thursday that needed to be done. Didn't get it all, but I made some major strides in weeding the driveway bed. I'd like to get some Preen out today before it rains and then put some fresh pine straw down. I think it's supposed to get cooler later in the week. I sure hope so!

Sandra, so glad to hear about Jerry'stest results! I know you all are thrilled.

I haven't tried to post pictures again. Too frustrating and time consuming for me right now with other things to worry about.

We were in Montgomery celebrating one brother's 60th. Also my niece was home from Houston for the first time since leaving in January. She loves her job and seems to like the big city but misses everyone. My Montgomery brother is an awesome chef (I can't just call him a cook). He made some wonderful pork tenderloin with raspberry sauce, homemade corn muffins, and the bread pudding with whiskey sauce he made for dessert is still on everyone's mind. It was just awesome! We all brought other side dishes but his food is like eating in a 5-star restaurant.

Genna, I know your family will be super busy this month. Good luck with everything and don't stress too much that you don't enjoy the wedding festivities!

Kim, sorry to hear about your kidney stone. Never had one, but everyone says it's the worst pain you can have! Hope you get relief soon!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9114477

Kim sorry to hear about your newest pain - never had a kidney stone either but I have heard they are BAD!!! Hope you get well soon.

Here are a couple of pictures of things I have blooming - very weird year b/c I have columbines blooming right next to hostas and daylilies. But hey at least you get to see it all together - I wonder if anything will be blooming in June/July???

First picture is The President clematis, then an unknown creamy yellow daylily, Little Rock Skies LA Iris.

Thumbnail by kjuddy   Thumbnail by kjuddy   Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9114482

Here are my tippy pots and my deck planters

Thumbnail by kjuddy   Thumbnail by kjuddy

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 7, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9114666

I know, Karen, this is a crazy year. Love your containers, they are beautiful ! I discovered another clump of daylilies gone, I think that makes 4 mature clumps. They just did not get started good before the 90ís and the dry got them, I guess. I have a few blooming too, but my columbine is pretty much bloomed out here.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9114911

Karen your containers are really pretty!!

I have some pictures I've taken but haven't had time to download them. I finally got the trellis and arbor in the back of carolina jasmine and conferate jasmine trimmed!!! Big job!

My day lilies are really starting to bloom good now. Hydrangeas are also blooming good and the gardenias have just started blooming.

There were some really pretty and unusual flower arrangements at the Natchez conference. I didn't think to take pictures of all of them but I'll share a couple of what I thought were really pretty, easy and unusual. At lunch one day the tables had a centerpiece of different kinds of bottles (looked like probably beer bottles) that had been lightly sprayed with different shades of green paint with a leaf or fern on the bottle, It just gave it a hint of color - enough to see the outline of the leaf. They did spray a few with green all over. But I liked the ones that were just lightly sprayed the best. Then each bottle had one sprig of some type flower. All different types. Then at our banquet they took all sizes of types of vegetable cans (some really big, some really small) and put some gravel in the bottom of the can and sat various potted plants in the cans. Of course the labels were all left on. I think they probably got some of them from a restaurant.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9115298

Pretty containers, Karen. My daylilies are starting up too with some early one blooming nicely.

Sandra, I meant to say that I have had a couple of mine that bloomed mighty small too. Don't know why but on others I have loads of buds. My iris haven't done much yet. It's been a poor year for those (mine anyway) IMO, but Kathy Ann sure had some beautiful ones posted on her FB page.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9115560

Elaine when was the last time they were divided? Mine have a bunch of small flowers and I haven't divided in over 15 years. Sandra said they need to be divided every 3 to 5 years so I'm just a little behind.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9115687

Well then, I am behind too! They just don't look crowded, so I didn't think of dividing them! My iris sure don't look crowded either but maybe I should just move them and divide too. Thanks, Jeri!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9115896

Yes, when they get to crowded they start having smaller blooms, but the dry also gives you smaller blooms. Daylilies need an inch of water every week to do their best.
My iris did better than usual this year, I had some so big they fell over !
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9116019

I had hoped the stone would pass by now but just like the rest of me, it is stubborn and will not budge ;o)) I have surgery Thursday morning at 7 for a cystoscopy and stint placement. I will most likely be back home by 8...quick surgery! Thursday please send warm hugs and thoughts...mostly because the iv sedation meds make me horribly sick!

The good news FBS=149! I go back to see doctor tomorrow.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9116038

Yeah, Kim on the FBS!! :~( on the surgery. Hate you have to go through that but maybe it won't be horrible. It can't be worse than the pain, right?? Except the sedation!! I know what you mean about making you sick. I have had that problem many times and always tell them about it. They are supposed to be able to give you anti-nausea medication or some other sedation that won't make you sick.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9116070

At least you know the doc--got to look for the good in EVERYTHING ! I am sure the doc knows you will smack them if things go wrong--lol

Great news on the BS, sickness makes your sugar crazy, you could have gotten those high readings from developing the kidney stone. It might be a lot easier to handle your diabetes than you first thought. I sure hope so. Make the doc give you phenaghan (sp?) and sleep the rest of the day away !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9116142

Kim sorry your that nasty thing is being stubborn but glad to hear there is a way to get rid of it!!! Glad to hear your getting good readings on your BS!! Get yourself well!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9116325

Kim I will be thinking of you as you have your procedure!!!! It is amazing how they can put our pieces back together again. Good thing we're not Humpty Dumpty!!!!

Sandra you will have to explain what that BS thing is. I was just getting the other #. thing straight in my mind. I googled it but understand less now than I did before.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9116372

Kim I hope things come out good Thurs. So sorry you have been so ill.
I took a few pictures late this afternoon because we were supposed to get rain but once again this week it by passed us. Yesterday I had to water some because my beds are dry. I have had more rain than most of you though. I have blooms but I am having to cut foliage because of rust. I have never seen daylily rust this bad.

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9116379

a few more

Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland   Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9116412

BS-blood sugar. FBS-fasting blood sugar. My doc advises me to only check mine once a day now that mine is pretty much under control. I check first thing in the morning, normal ( for diagnosed diabetics) is 90 or below first thing in the morning before any food or drink. If you check more than once a day, you need to check 90 to 120 minutes after eating. The count usually rises through the day, depending on how much you eat and how much exercise you get that day. My doc is happy as long as mine is 180 or under at bedtime. Anytime your BS is over 200 it is doing damage to some part of your body.
Type 1 diabetic-their pancreas does not make any insulin, they have to inject insulin, this is usually a problem from birth, although it could take several years to be diagnosed.
Type 2 diabetic (mine and Kim's) your pancreas makes insulin, but your body does not process it correctly. Type 2 usually start out on oral meds, sometimes on only diet and exercise. I controlled mine for almost a year on diet and exercise, when my doc gave me meds, he told me he had expected I would need meds eventually. He knew my family history and knew my Gunny and all her siblings had diabetes. Diabetics have to control carb intake as well as sugar intake, pizza and spaghetti will run mine up really fast, Kim may be able to eat pizza without spiking a high count, we use our meters to see how different foods affect our BS. When I had the stomach virus a couple of weeks ago, my FBS was 181 one morning. Kim has a kidney stone now and that stone could have been forming when they were doing her diagnostic tests, her FBS was over 300 the day they diagnosed her. Every problem with your body affects BS counts. Steroids wreak havoc on BS. I am not sure if it is the whole USA, but in MS, a doc has to hospitalize a diabetic patient to administer steroids because they raise BS count so high.
Dr. oz explains diabetes really well, if you want to look at his site and read what he has to say about it. He said when the BS is high it is like shards of glass running through your veins and arteries, doing damage as they "scrape" the way through. Diabetes affects your eyes, your nerve endings and every organ in your body. It also affects your healing process. The first heart surgery Pat had, some of our neighbors in the ICU had been there for a couple of months. Their diabetic mother had open heart surgery that had went really well, a few days later her breast bone that they had cut through and wired back together, CRUMBLED, they were still there when Pat was moved to a room. We have to take good care of our feet also as the healing process is very slow in your feet even for normal folk. An ingrown toenail could be so hard to heal that you might have to have toes and even part of your foot removed.
If your meter says HI or LOW, you need to call 911. The meter I use only counts to 600 and death can occur at a count of 600. I have heard of people living with counts over 600, but that is the starting point that can be fatal.
Kim, if you feel like adding anything, please do. The medical aspect is easier for me to understand than the why me? We all go into denial at first, thinking when we get it to normal readings, we can eat what we want and it will stay normal again-THAT IS THE BIGGEST LIE WE COULD EVER TELL OURSELF !!!! Diabetes has to be taken care of every day, every meal, for the rest of our lives. I do not want pity as there are plenty of people that have a lot more trouble than Kim and I do, but I do want people to understand it is a very serious disease and has to be dealt with seriously. I go to my doc on May 15th for my A1C test. This test will give you an average of the last 3 months, amazing, isn't it. My last A1C was good, I really don't remember the number, but my doc wants me to stay between 6 and 7 for that test, if it is 7.1 he will ask if I am staying on my diet???? He is always questioning, because it is a possibility that the disease has worsened. If you don't tell the truth, you are only hurting yourself.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9116417

Wow .cindy, it is pretty at your house !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9116442

Cindy I know why we haven't heard much from you lately!!!! You've been busy!!! Your yard is so pretty!! I love that very first picture of the bed by the river. I remember that spot and it looked nothing like that when I was down there!! You've really done a great job!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012

Post #9116628

Wow!!! I do understand it better. I'll check out that Dr. Oz link tomorrow!!!!

Cindy I agree with Charlotte!!! Everything is beautiful!!!! My favorite is the 1st one on the the 2nd row!!!! Looks wonderful!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9116880

Beautiful flowers ladies!!! I'm finally seeing some relief in my 9 to 5 job and actually get to stay home till 8:30 am now, and I' have gotten a ton of stuff done before leaving out in the mo;rning. It's so nice to not be worked so hard at work.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 9, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9117062

Wow - gorgeous pictures Cindy! You have been busy and it shows! Good to hear from you too.

KA - nice to have a break from working so hard! I know you deserve it...but something tells me you are still working hard, just at your place instead of theirs! Beautiful pics! What is the third photo of?

Sandra, great explanation of diabetes! I will reiterate the fact that diabetics need to have regular heart checkups because the nerves in and around the heart are usually some of the first to be damaged so you can often be having heart problems and not know it because you don't feel any pain. Just be sure to keep checking it!

Kim, so sorry that you haven't passed that stubborn stone! We will be praying for you to pass it today so you don't have to go thru your procedure... and if you do have to have it tomorrow, praying that you don't get sick from the sedation! That is an awful feeling!

Jessica took her scholar day out of school yesterday and we ended up going to LR to buy some shoes! I HAD to have shoes for the wedding and I had not been able to find any the right color, but FINALLY yesterday I was successful. Not what I had wanted, but at least I won't have to go barefooted! ^_^ And, they were not going to let the seniors wear heels this year to graduation - but now they have decided they could wear black wedges ...so we managed to find a pair that Jessica liked and fit well so we had a good day. We went to look at a few more cars while we were in LR because although I am up there every weekend, she is rarely there. Alex had a big test yesterday and we took him out to eat afterward - so it was a good day! He has a big national test on Friday and then he is finished with his first year!!

Hope everyone has a great day!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9117090

I'm going to try and upload a few pictures. Don't have but a few minutes so if it doesn't work will try again later.
These two are of containers. The second one is what I replaced the spruce on my front porch with.

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9117176

I resized and just testing to see if I have it the right size.

Obviously not!!! Will try again later or again may not!!!

This message was edited May 9, 2012 9:55 AM

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9117245

Cindy, your garden beds are gorgeous!! I think we all know from experience what a lot of work it is to make it look this way!

Charlotte, you have such a talent for containers! Is that a purple pixie lorapetalum in the second one? I really like it whatever it is. 'Diamond frost' euphorbia always seems to add sparkle too!

KA, glad you and Jessica got to go shopping together. Nice break! Hope Alex has survived too!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9117391

Elaine it's a columner barberry. I had 2 spruce that had gotten really tall and one died so I had to replace both.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9117698

Actually, Elaine, it's Genna, that got to go shopping with jessica. Although I would like to go shopping soon lol

That' third pic Genna, is the purple flowering milkweed called purpurascens.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9117756

Duh!! My mistake! I wasn't paying attention! I meant to say something about your flowers though!! Yours have been gorgeous this year, KA!!

Genna, sorry about that! My mind was wandering, I guess.

I've been messing around in the yard with the camera and was going to try to downsize and post a new daylily that has been blooming. It's 'Siloam Peony Display'. Thought it was pretty. I have a bunch blooming, but it's getting chilly in the evenings again, so I don't know what will happen to the buds.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9117894

OK I broke down and resized! Think I have it right this time.

The snowball bush is one Jeri got for me at her MG plant sale.

The big red lily is one Cindy gave me. It is HUGE and the color is beautiful!!

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9117910

Yeah it worked!!! Going to try one more time. It took a long time to upload so I'm wondering if maybe I accidentally included one that was not resized! We'll see!

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9117916

It worked but it too WAY too long to upload. I resize and email photos all the time and it just takes seconds to upload 10 or more. I have a program I use to resize and I just had it make me a copy of the resized photos. I can resize a whole bunch at one time without any problem. It just takes a few seconds. I just sent an email to myself using the same resized photos I just uploaded to Dave's which took forever. It took just a few seconds to upload the same photos and sent to myself!!!!!! They have some bugs in their system that need to be worked out!!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9117946

Charlotte everything is looking great. What is the program that you use to re-size? Picture #3 is a Hawaiian Snowbush. I just love them but didn't get one this year.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2004/#b

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9117977

I use VSO Image Resizer. I use the free version. I don't remember how I found it to begin with. But it is very easy to use. You can resize a whole folder at one time if you want to. You can have it make a copy of the resized photo and keep the original. You can easily tell which is the resized version. To resize I just right click on the photo or one photo of a group I want to resize and it does it in seconds.

I'll do a google search and see if I can find it for you.

I love my snowball bush. It's in the same pot I put it in the first year. I've just been putting it in the workshop every winter.

Here is the link:
http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-software/light-image-resizer/

This message was edited May 9, 2012 9:34 PM
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9118165

It takes me forever to upload too cause I don't resize. Your pots are georgious Charlotte!! I bought that snowball bush I think at Rita's this year, yours is beautiful!! I like the white/green variegated one too that i've seen , but are they both the same bush or are there two diff varieties of the snowball bush? and why do they call it snowball?

I've been planting a bunch of seeds, I hope they come around. I planted two kinds of jewel weed, amorpha fruiticosa, 6 diff kinds of milkweeds, sweet peas are planted in the ground now , and cork screw vine . I recentlly got some rothchildiana gloriosa lily corms or what ever they are called, and they are all coming up. Got my new flower garden just about too full now lol and irises filled up the new iris bed, and have to put the other trade somewhere else. I still have a few holes here and there to fill.

Veggie garden is growing like crazy and doing well. we're about to stake the tomatoes a different way this year since we have 40 of them . I know we were crazy, i'm going to be making V8 juice this year. got california poppies coming up in the veggie garden I planted, I hope that wasn't a mistake, I hear they reseed everywhere. we'll see how that goes too. My new kiwi plants I have growing are coming along nicely also. and if you see this same post on fb just ignore it. lol

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9118185

I have the green and white snowball bush too. Not sure of the difference. Kathy Ann I tried rooting you a piece last year and didn't have any luck with it.

I knew you'd have all your flowers back before long after you took that bed out!! LOL
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9118240

If you are using Microsoft, you can also use Microsoft Picture Manager. Just open photo with MS Picture Manager, select the 'edit' tab and go to edit picture and select 'resize'. There is a pull-down menu to select different pixel sizes. I usually select 'large' for web postings as you don't lose as much resolution but it is still a lot smaller than the original pixel size. If you look down the panel it will tell you the original size and the size you have selected. Then you can save the 'new' photo to your desktop (or another location in your computer) as desired and still keep the original photo on your flash card. I usually name the new, resized photo something so that I'll know what I'm posting when I get ready to post the photo. But you can see the thumbnail on your desktop too.

Charlotte's method sounds good because you can do a whole folder at a time. I'm not sure you can do that with Microsoft. Never tried it!

Charlotte, I enjoyed the 'tour' through your garden!! Lovely!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012

Post #9118256

I send 40 to 50 pictures every month and they all need to be resized. I like my method because I don't need to save the photos. I also need to be able to do it in a hurry. I wait a few weeks and then just delete the whole folder, it doesn't take me but about 5 minutes to resize and send 50 or so photos. Ofcourse email uploads much faster than Dave's.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9118345

Doesn't say that will work on a Mac. I need to find some way to re-size on a mac. I'll ask my son. He'll know, I'm sure.

Why all of a sudden is this a problem with Dave's?
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 10, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9118521

LOL...that's ok Elaine! I think we all get names mixed up every once in a while...

KA - I love that purple milk weed! Is it invasive like some of them are? I know some variaties are really invasive and others are not -

Anyone know what time Kim is having her procedure today? She has been on my mind this morning...

Charlotte, your flowers are beautiful! I love all those tropicals, but I don't have anywhere to keep them over winter!

Finally had a DL bloom last night! I meant to look at the name again, because I know it is the one that I think came from Karen, that ya'll decided last year was labeled wrong... I need to get my name corrected on it but can't remember what it was labeled. My Perseus Sandals had bloomed this morning but it was "stuck" together and not a pretty bloom like it usually is... what causes that??

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9118611

Thanks, Genna. Actually surgery is postponed until 5pm. I will under general anesthesia instead of IV sedation...which means no sickness! I hope to minus one kidney stone when I awaken!

All the flowers are so lovely. I will be glad when I can play with plants again.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9119171

genna, this is my second year with this milk weed, it didn't bloom last year. so I'm really not sure if it's going to be in vasive. That other picture is also a milk weed, I dug up one plant down at the deer camp and it smells awesome too. I only have that one purple plant, I hope that I get some seeds off it this year since it's blooming now.

Kim I hope your doing ok.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 10, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9119234

I don't know if you have been following the kidnapping case of 2 little girls from TN or not, but it is over now, the wildlife officers found him in the woods, less than 20 miles from my home. thank God the girls are ok!
Our whole community has been on guard since Sat, on Sunday, there was a possible report of him in Dumas, 1 mile from here. Jerry had to stop and open his trunk on the way home Monday.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9119250

My goodness Sandra!! Hadn't heard about the kipnapping. Don't have time to watch much TV. So glad they caught him and the girls were safe!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 10, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9119289

Charlotte, he killed their Mother and older sister, it has been a big story, even made the national news,it has been going on since April 27th. Such a sad thing.
He has been confirmed dead now, he shot himself in the head whenhe was surrounded and died at the hospital, they are taking the girls to LeBohner in Memphis to be checked out, they have been in the woods for days

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9119299

Thank God they are alive!!! He was such a coward!!! Now he is just where he should be!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9119307

I'll look for the story in the paper tomorrow.

I've found a new source for dinner!! When I had my antique store a really fancy expensive restaurant was next door It opened about the same time I opened my store and was "the" place to go for a long time. They eventually closed it.

The chef and one of the owners now does private parties, catering, etc and works out of the kitchen of a small private school. He has started offering meals to go and what he calls grab and go. You sign up by email and every Mon he sends the menu for the week (Tues, Wed and Thurs only) and you send him a text as to what you want. These meals are fresh cooked - not frozen when you pick them up. Then on Thursday he has a limited number of frozen dinners for as long as they last. The amazing thing is they are only $5. I picked up 2 ham dinners for tonight. Each container had 4 slices of ham with a maple glaze, green been casserole and scalloped potatoes with goat cheese. It was all delicious!! Richard loved it! I have 2 more dinners (shrimp dishes). I will definitely be back next week! The $5 was the total amount - he didn't charge any additional for tax - so got 4 fresh cooked meals for 20 bucks!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9119364

Kim I hope you had an easy time and will recover quick. Less pain for sure.
KA and Charlotte love the pics. Thanks for the compliments on my yard. Yes I have been working. I hope to finish moving all the daylilies before hot weather hits. I put out roundup today-- lots of poison ivy, briar vine, trumpet vine and and other invasives down my drive way . I have to spray several times just to keep it at a minimum. All of it was allowed to grow wild in that tree line for 30 or 40 years. I will never get rid of it all but I just try to control it. The birds sit up in those trees and poop seed of everything you can think of as fast as I can spray it.. The property owner on the other side does no control. It is rented out to a saw mill.

How scary Sandra. Glad they recovered the girls.

Yum Charlotte good food good price. I resize my photos to 600 x 800 pixils , most of the time this loads ok here but sometimes Daves is just slow.

Genna sometimes the first blooms (FFO) do not do well. Sometimes it is the weather that causes the bloom to not open correctly (cool night). Some daylilies have too much ruffle and do not open well. I have a couple that can't open correctly until the day is nearly over because of too much ruffled edge.

Cha
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
3:17 AM

Post #9119421

Gosh Charlotte, I wish I lived closer, I could use some meals like that.

Anybody heard from Kim? just wondering how she's doing.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 11, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9119448

Sandra, I'm with you. I'm so glad that's over and the girls are okay. They had raided a house a house not far from me day before yesterday. The people had some connection to him but he wasn't there. They had road blocks everywhere searching. Too much excitment for our sleepy little boondocks!
The pics are great, everyone!
I finally got the last of my Jackson and Chicago stash put in the ground yesterday.

Terrye
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9119562

Charlotte, that sounds like a great deal and yummy too! If I don't have to cook it and it's from a great chef for $5, I'd buy it in a minute!

I'm so glad that ordeal with the 2 little girls is over! We've been following it here too because they thought he could be headed thru North Alabama on his way somewhere in Florida. I'm so glad the girls are ok. He may have saved a lot of people a lot of trouble and expense by doing what he did at the end...hate to put it that way but he knew he did wrong. I'm sure you folks in North MS were concerned!

Kim, I know you probably were too woozy last night to respond, but hope everything went well for you.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 11, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9119565

Thank goodness they found those children alive! I had not heard anything about it because I haven't seen the news in forever...but I saw something about it on facebook just a couple of days ago. Didn't realize that they thought they were in Mississippi. Did the man know the family? or was this just a random act?? such a horrible crime, and I am sure those girls will be permanently scarred even if they are ok physically.

Kim, hope the procedure went well and that you are feeling better already!

Charlotte, I am like KA - sure wish I had a place I could grab nice hot meals for 5 bucks! How nice!...

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9119582

Genna, they think he was claiming to be their father and that he had been having an affair with the woman he killed. They are not sure of any of this. May be a while before any of this is sorted out. His wife is in jail and she apparently has mental issues. The children are being returned to their father (or the man who they have always known as their father). That's what I heard on the news this morning. The family was planning to move to Arizona. They think when he found out they were moving, it triggered him to kill her and take the girls away.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 11, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9119603

Elaine, the Memphis news interviewed one of her friends , the Mother, she said she was tired of hearing all of that, her friend was dead and could not defend herself. She said it seemed impossible to her that the girls would belong to Adam Mayes. The father has been so distraught he could not appear on camera through the whole ordeal. The FBI interview was given at 1am this morning, it is on www.wmctv.com if anyone cares to watch it. he said the girls were tired, thirsty and had poison oak on them. They were released from LeBonner this morning to go home to TN. They said it is still an ongoing investigation and he said if they found anyone that aided him on the run, they would be prosecuted also.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9119634

So very sad that this has happened. These 2 young girls lives will be forever changed!!!! I pray that God be with them and protect them!!!

My prayers also continue for Kim!!! Hope things went well and we hear something soon!!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 11, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9119644

It is ashamed how some people's mind becomes so twisted. Prayers with those little girls for sure! They will need a lot of help and love to recover from this!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9119719

I heard something outside and it's rain!!! Yea!!! I won't have to water today maybe. That is a great Mother's Day gift!!! Hope Yall get some, too!!!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9119866

Surgery went well. He was able to get 3 stones! One in right ureter and two in left kidney. I still have a few teeny ones but hopefully I will not feel those when the pass. My blood sugar before surgery was 140...pretty good considering how high it has been.

Thank you all for the kind words, concern and prayers!

I was unable to go flower shopping with Charlotte and Kathy Ann today. I really wanted to go...

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9120018

WOW!!! No wonder you couldn't pass them with it being so many!!!! Does diabetes cause kidney stones? Praying things go well from here on out!!! (((HUGS))))
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9120021

Kim, good to hear from you and glad everything went so well! Rest well this weekend!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 11, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9120272

Glad to hear that they were able to get those! Hopefully you will feel much better very soon! So sorry you didn't get to go plant shopping... Were they coming to my neck of the woods?

Pittman's in Magnolia is having their farms open for the weekend for mother's day. Won't be able to make it but I sure want to! I don't need to go anyway as I already have some shrubs that aren't in the ground ...really don't need anything else until I get that done! Wont be this weekend for sure...but I sure hate to miss the opportunity to visit the wholesale portion of the nursery!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Mother's Day weekend... it is going to be rush, rush, rush here! :)

Genna

PS Jeri, we got just a few drops... maybe more is on the way this evening!

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9120329

We got a little rain and I mean a little but they are predicting a few showers over the weekend. I set out my last 2 clematis from the co-op yesterday. I literally had to use a sharp tool to get a hole started. My shovel even though sharpened would not penetrate the dry rock hard dirt and this is where I have amended several times. It's like any amendments just disappear in this fine river silt after a year. The rest of my soil is rock and silt so if water penetrates the surface it just runs through. Oh well I guess every one that hasn't brought in soil has issues with the native soil.
Jeri I hope y'all got some much needed rain. I also hope you are recovering from your fall.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9120365

As usual we found some goodies!! We just went up to Conway and then made a couple of stops on the way back in Maumelle. We saw 6 police cars headed toward Conway as we were coming home. Then when I got home discovered they were after some deranged man. Highway 365 is now closed (the highway we had just been on). We had gone to White Wagon nursery which is on Hwy 365. He exchanged gun fire with the police and then fled into the woods. So they have closed the hwy looking for him. There are a lot of homes in the area and it said on the 6 news that they were not being allowed to go to their homes. Those that were already home have been told to stay at home. Seems there is always something going on!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012

Post #9120418

We did get some glorious rain today. All day!!! LOL!!! Didn't get anything accomplished today!!!!

The MG Plant Sale is tomorrow and I may not even go if it's raining. I may be taking this taking care of myself over board but I've managed to dodge the sinus/cold that has been going around and I can't afford to get sick now. I haven't mentioned it until now but my garden club is having a plant sale at my house. My cousin normally has it at her house but at the last minute she couldn't do it this year. So I volunteered and all I have to do is host the sale Sat. and the meeting Tue. We're using the little red barn and my carports. They are very thankful and I'm looking at all the free advertising the sale will do for my carports. LOL!!! I'm still trying to make money.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9120435

Charlotte, After I left Kim's I went over to toys r us and got Korrin's b day present and then went home, unloaded and went out to see Dian in Bald knob. Bought some more plants and she gave me a few also. have a boatload of planting to do this weekend. We're also going to mulch our potatoes something like we saw at that garden at White wagon. and we are also going to stake all our tomatoes like they had theirs staked, We were only going to use 3 panels but I think we wills take all of them this way, I like how they looked . Checked my tomatoes when i did finally get home and they look good but it's still too early to tell. I see some blight that i didn't get cut off. so I'll have to go out tomorrow and cut some more off. i hope that spray kills out the rest or we will hve no tomatoes this year again. I had a great time, as usualy. Missed Kim being with us though.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9120437

Always thinking Jeri!!! LOL

It's been raining just a little here tonight. Not enough to really do any good but something is better than nothing.

I shouldn't even say it - but somehow I've escaped having any kind of cold/sinus for several years now!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9120440

We did a cross post KA. Enjoyed our shopping adventure too but like you say missed Kim!! You had another full afternoon after you left! You're going to be busy planting tomorrow!!

I put some of the dust on my plants this afternoon and I did a little mulching myself around my tomatoes and several other things. I think I'll add some more this weekend.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9120522

Charlotte, what are you using to mulch your tomatoes?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9120547

Jeri I just used a mixture of leaves and grass clippings. One of the ladies that is really into organic methods poured some watered down none paturized milk around her plants. She said it was supposed to create beneficial bateria. Never heard of that before - of it's not easy to get none paturized milk - forget where she said she got it.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 12, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9120872

I used the cotton hull mulch around mine and I have some of the prettiest plants I have ever had, now if they will just produce tomatoes ! I have another little project going that I found the idea on Pinterest. I cleaned out the little offset on my roadside bed, I had Louisiana iris that Cindy gave me there and they had multiplied so much, they didn't even bloom this year, too crowded I guess. I am going to replant some of them in a different spot. This little spot is somewhat lower than the rest of the bed and they thrived too well there.
http://gardening.knoji.com/how-to-keep-worms-in-your-garden/
I am going to adapt this a little, instead of drilling holes at the bottom, I am using a T that has both ends open under the ground. I have several tomato suckers rooted and I am going to plant them there this summer to see how they do. I will probably go back to plants therenext year, but want to be sure I got all the roots of the iris out.
I will make some pictures when I get it going.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9120985

I've used the cotton hull compost before I'll see if they have the mulch. Because I liked the compost it got real hard to find it last year.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9121031

I'm going to be down in farm country one day next week. I need to take the truck and see if I can find some kind of hulls.

I've had a bleeding heart vine in this spot for the last several years. I lost it over this winter. Think I let it get too dry. I found a red one and put in this spot but it just wasn't what I was used to! When KA and I were shopping yesterday I found the white one!! It was in a hanging basket and I tried hanging it and it was just not what I wanted. So back just like I've had it for the last several years!!! This is just outside my back door and I can see it through the windows every time I walk through the house. I'm happy now!!!

Thumbnail by cperdue

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9121054

That looks perfect to me. What is that vine growing up the tree?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9121110

The vine growing up the tree is needlepoint ivy. It's the same thing as you see growing around the bottom of the bed. I have rock stacked up about a ft and the ivy hangs over it. The leaves on the tree look a little bigger. I think it's just very happy! It's grows much slower than the regular ivy and it's not hard to keep under control. I just trim on it now and then. The regular ivy will take off up my trees and will be 40ft in the tree before I know it. I just find the main vine and cut it into. Looks bad for a while but I don't want ivy getting up in my tree branches.

I've actually been clearing some stuff out today since it is rainy and too wet to work outside. Headed out with a truck load of stuff to donate. Now just hope they are open on Sat afternoon!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 12, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9121117

Funny Charlotte, I was thinking how most women rearrange furniture when I was out digging up that bed, we rearrange our plants, but some things just MUST stay as we like them !
Jeri, I bought 4 sacks of it and they are close to 8 bucks a sack here, that was all I could afford this year

The pieces put together for the worm bed-tomato bed project,
Second photo it is in the ground, I run water in my hole, added some rabbit poo,shredded paper and some timothy hay I put all this in before I put the pipe in

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 12, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9121131

Here is how it looks with the top in it

Now with my rooted suckers planted around it, I know they are too close, but I still have 5 or 6 more with no place to put them out, I think there are 17 in there
Jerry said it would look like one big bushy tomato when it grows up.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 12, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9121137

This is wild horses, it is a huge bloom and so pretty

Second one is an oriental

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9121291

Ive' been busy all day today. We worked out in the veggie garden for a long time, still want to mulch around the 5 potatoe rows but Danny gave up on me today lol we are trellising our tomatoes a diff way this year, tying them up to this cattle panel. and we have two long rows, we ran out of panels and he didn't want to go to town to get more today so we quit. I also finished cutting off the blight on the tomatoes and sprayed them, hopefully we will catch it all and won't loose any plantts to Blight. the second row of tomatoes are quite a few weeks behind the first row in size. We also moved all my succulents and new planters i fixed up with the clay pots i got from Dian's last night, and we moved the 3 tier planter out in the full sun also.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9121305

Anybody know what that last picture is, the tall purple spike of flowers?

Look at all the cherry bells campanula, got that from Charlotte. and it's blooming this year first time. .

Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann   Thumbnail by kathy_ann

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 12, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9121470

That looks like a type of campanula too, Kathy Ann, there are lots of different one.
Your garden looks good !
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9121589

thanks Sandra, it's spreading like all the other campanulas . lol. I don't remember planting it but that's ok too.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9121657

Janie and I went to the Conway MG sale this morning - in the rain AGAIN!! I swear it rains every year but we got some nice plants - and I controlled myself very well by only buying 17 plants - OK 17 charges included a couple of bags of bulbs but mostly just 17 things and then I snuck off to Lowes BEFORE heading home and got two Regal Begonias and a delphinium off their clearance rack. And that in and of it self is a miracle. I love me some Lowes clearance plants!!!

So this afternoon I potted up one Begonia with some yellow petunias for my Mom and then one for myself and a couple of pots for my daughter and then I planted like a crazy woman. I am proud to report that I only have two pots on my deck that need to be planted - and the 2 bags of snowdrop bulbs and 1 bag of daffs I bought today, everything else is in the ground. I still have a boatload of mulching to do but I am doing a good job of sticking to not buying stuff and then having it sit around for weeks on end. I got a hyacinth bean vine today and some cypress vine which I had never heard of and as usual that means it is somewhat invasive. I planted it down at the swing so I can try to contain it. I also bought a hydrangea marked caldwell's purple - to be honest the one marked with that name that had blooms was pink so I don't know if Mr. Caldwell was colorblind or what but we shall soon see:)

And after all that I'm feeling extra spunky since I dug 15 pots of stuff and took it to Janie this morning so I'm sure she was out slaving all day and still isn't done - am I right JP???

Off to shower and sleep!!!

But first here's a picture of Mambo Maid and Marti's Carpenter and a seedling given to me by Hillbilly Gran

Thumbnail by kjuddy   Thumbnail by kjuddy   Thumbnail by kjuddy

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 13, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9121884

Wow Karen... that made me tired just reading it! We didn't get much done yesterday - had to be in Arkadelphia before 9:30 for Natalie (my future DIL's) graduation. By the time it was over it was almost lunch time, so we picked up some supplies for work at Alex's at a local building supply place, grabbed some lunch and headed to LR. We picked up a car for Jessica that we will surprise her with today after church and before Baccalaureate. It was so weird because one of her friends parent's brought home a car to their daughter yesterday- same color and everything! Guess they can get pics together today! :)

Then after that we finally made it to Alex's at almost 3 p.m. but we did manage to get some little things completed here and there. Hopefully, Alex will be able to do some oil based painting for me - such as the inside of his front doors since his classes officially ended on Friday afternoon! We have a list of several little things that have to be accomplished before the wedding in two weeks... ya'll say a prayer - MAYBE with some prayer help we will get finished !! Won't have the deck repair finished out back by then, and the flower bed redone out front or the house painted outside, but if we can have the inside completely 100% finished then we will be happy! Plus, there are several things to do for the rehearsal dinner and wedding still.

We have baccalaureate today, wedding shower at our church on Tuesday, and Jessica's graduation on Thursday! Might end up taking off on Friday so that we can spend another day working at Alex's!
We really need to finish the inside next weekend because the following weekend is the actual wedding!! Ya'll send me some of your super energy levels... I could sure use them right now!

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

Genna

Oh, and Karen, I grabbed up some Lowe's clearance plants last night on the way home from Alex's so maybe after the ceremony this afternoon I can get those in the ground! :)

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9122077

Just wanted to pop in and say Happy Mother's Day!!!! Hope you all have a great one!

Nice pics everyone, I'll try to catch up later today or tomorrow! Miss y'all!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 13, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9122729

Genna that couldn't possibly have made YOU tired you are on the go more than anyone I know - You'll post your days events on here and I'll head for bed early just thinking about having your schedule:)

When your kids are all grown life is just so much different, you can work in the yard at your own pace without having to worry so much about what is next. Course when you have 3-4 kids you still have stuff to go to and then you add in the grands and their stuff but still it is a much more relaxed life. I don't really have to worry about cooking meals or running people places and that translates into getting a lot more done with a lot less stress.

Happy Mother's day girls and hope it was a good one!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 14, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9123049

I had an awesome Mother's Day! Leigh bought me some edging for the foundation planting that I am trying to do at the front of our house, and my kids and my future DIL bought me a beautiful charm bracelet. The old fashioned kind that the charms hang from! I have wanted one most of my life and this is the first one I have ever had! It was a wonderful surprise. I have a heart and watering can on it from the kids, and a camera on it from Natalie - who insisted it needed three charms on it to make it look better - so she bought one herself to put on it. :) (I think I am going to like having her in the family!!! ^_^ )

Had to make a small passport holder for Kyle - it is basically a pocket that hangs around his neck. He is to keep his passport on him at all times. Ya'll please keep him in your prayers... he is headed out today at noon for the middle east. I can't say which country he is headed into - but it is a closed one... They will return on May 23. So I need some extra prayer between now and then. I had been doing better about him going in until I read several pages of material last night about what all they can't say or do while they are there... and how the bus drivers and tour guides etc are all spies and that they have to be very mindful of ANYTHING that is said by anyone in the group!! I about broke completely down after reading those 7-8 pages of reminders...

We surprised Jessica pretty good I think with the car... and I managed to get my Lowe's plants in the ground. Although the ground is rock hard! Everything is so bone dry... as I was planting, I was praying it wasn't all in vain. I hate to think if it is this dry now that if we don't get some rain, I KNOW there is no way that most of this stuff will make it thru the summer. I am already watering like crazy and they just don't seem to like the water like they do rain!! I figured our best chance of rain would be this week since graduation is Thursday. Ours is on the football field and in the event of rain it has to be moved into the auditorium which will not begin to seat everyone...but according to the forecast last night - there is no chance of rain this week !! Which is good for graduation - but NOT good for my plants!!

Have two aprons that I need to make and monogram tonight... doubt I manage to get that accomplished, but it is what is on my to do list for the evening! :)

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9123176

Hello everyone. I love garden season and seeing everyones garden. I am trying to catch up on all the threads... it's taking a while. I still am in love with Tropicals. Here are a few of my Orchid Cactus blooms from this past week. (The RicRac was about a month ago.) Another beautiful white opened this morning. Pictures later if the rain doesn't destroy it.

Thumbnail by picabo   Thumbnail by picabo   Thumbnail by picabo   Thumbnail by picabo   Thumbnail by picabo

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 14, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9123602

those are some beautiful blooms!! Good to see you posting with us again!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 14, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9123606

If I can get these photos to load, I wonder if anyone can tell me what they think this might be. It is in the flower bed in front of Alex's house - but they had taken a weedeater or lawn mower to everything in there so it is a little hard to identify things. I thought at one point it was another bradford pear sucker... but the leaves seem different to me. I don't know whether to dig it up or leave it...

Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 14, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9123618

Here are a couple of my DLs. These cool nights are making them not look so good... The first is perseus sandals (going from memory so I may not have that spelled correctly) and the second is an unknown Dan Hanson that I purchased and lost the tag to... :( I have about 5 or 6 of his that were some of the first DLs I purchased and the tags faded so bad they are not legible.

Edited to say - please excuse all the grass! These are both in beds that haven't been touched yet!!

This message was edited May 14, 2012 2:13 PM

Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9123680

Wow, Picabo!! Great to hear from you! Such beauties you have posted too. I didn't even know ric-rac bloomed. Mine hasn't ever bloomed, but I keep it inside; maybe that's why. Hope you are doing well.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9123787

Hi Elaine, The RicRac is beautiful, one of my favorites. Keep it rootbound, in the early Spring they like lots of light and they will set buds and bloom Usually in April or May here.. They sunburn with too much light. I let mine get sunburned last year and think that is why I go so few flowers this year. It is the one on the right red and white. I hang mine in trees all Summer. I always feed all the eppies banana peels. Don't know if it helps but I do get beautiful blooms.
I am staying busy, like everyone else. We are all fine, Lyn and Mother are doing well. I lost the real "Picabo" and "Doodle" at 16 and 17. I said No more dogs. I have already found a new "Doggie" love of my life, we call her "Maggie".

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9123806

I put mine on the back porch this year but I'll try not to let it get sunburned! It is getting light but I may have put it out too late for blooms. With the crazy weather we had in the spring, I never knew what it was going to do next. It probably is potbound as I've had it several years. Thanks for the tips. Glad to hear Lyn and your Mom are doing well!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 14, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9123807

I know Maggie is one lucky doggie !

Genna, I don't know what that is, but it does look like a tree sapling to me.

My daylilies are not opening up good either, and I had an oriental lily bloom today that was not even colored, it was very pale looking, it should have Ben orange. I wonder if it just did not have enough time to develop its color, since things are running early here ?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9123818

Genna it's hard to tell just from the picture but I keep having little tree things that look a lot like that come up in my beds. I don't have any idea what it is. Does it look like it's coming up from the roots of the shrub that was cut down. Doesn't look much like a shrub.

I have a ric rack too. Mine has never bloomed and it's in a small pot so maybe it's root bound. I put it outside pretty early this year. Maybe I'll get blooms one of these days!!! Thanks for the infor - didn't know all that.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9123851

One more to show you. This is one of the RicRac baskets in bloom. This picture was made May 29 last year. I need to go check for buds again. Forgot how late they bloomed last year. The second picture is a new bud showing where they develop. It's easy to miss and let them get knocked off. The next two were made a week apart. The last one was made a month from the time the first picture was made.

By the way...I am the Lucky one, "Maggie" is a wonderful addition. "Picabo" and "Doodle" would approve. "Maggie" was a rescue from a Puppy mill.

Thumbnail by picabo   Thumbnail by picabo   Thumbnail by picabo   Thumbnail by picabo   Thumbnail by picabo

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9123881

So glad I checked. There are new buds on the RicRac. Never had them start this late. This will be June blooms.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9123900

I'd say Miss Maggie is a very lucky girl! Thanks for the pictures!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 15, 2012

Post #9124478

That ric rac is lovely... In those first pictures you posted...what is the second bloom the light pink? it has a really pretty shape. I know nothing about epis! I have one that my MIL gave me about 3 yrs ago now. The woman who gave it to her said it would take at least 5 years for it to bloom! I had thought it was going to bloom last year, but it turned out to be new growth instead of blooms... I had sure wanted it to bloom before my MIL passed. I keep it in the house during the winter so it may not get enough light.

Genna
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9124531

Thank You Genna, I don't know the name of that one. It was probably my first Epie. It is always that beautiful soft color. Here are a couple more views of that one. I like the first picture I posted because it shows that dark center so well. These other two show the shape so well.
I am going to LA Thursday to see my Son and his family. There is a wonderful nursery not far from their home. hope I get a chance to find some treasures to bring home..

Thumbnail by picabo   Thumbnail by picabo

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9125271

Well, we have recruited another member, my friend Holly joined today. She has the name Hollyhoho. I hope to see her post soon...Welcome Holly!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9125335

Welcome HollyHoHo!!!! So glad to have you here!!

Kim how are you feeling????? Hope you are much better!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9125443

Really good to have you back with us Betty and I'm so glad that everyone is doing good in your family!!! Yours plants are beautiful as usual and I'm glad that you changed your mind and Maggie joined your family!!!!

Waving Kim!!! Glad all that is over!! Now to concentrate on the right #'s!!!!! You NEED to get regulated so we can have another get together. You still have to make it to Forrest Hill!!!

Hello Holly!!! Welcome to Mid South!!! We are so glad that you have joined our group!!! Tell us about you and what you like as a gardener!!!

The Central Bloomer's Annual plant sale is coming along nicely at my house!!!! Some great deals if anyone is in the area Sat.!!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9125625

Good to have you here holly!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9125718

Hello Holly and welcome!

Do y'all seem to have bugs on everything already? Good grief, I found aphids on my iris yesterday! Little suckers were everywhere so I had to drag out the spray, which I have never had to do that I can remember. I think some of my DL's have rust also. I also think some slugs have gotten to a couple of mine. Got to look up rust symptoms and see if that's what it is. I had already lost nearly a whole tray of tomato seedlings back in early April before planting time to aphids or something...never figured that one out but think it was aphids. Really made me mad that I didn't catch it. Seems like I have to go on insect patrol every day in the yard and search for bugs on plants.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 16, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9125740

They say all insects are going to be rough this year around here because of the mild winter! I had some type of caterpillar eating one of my plants that was still potted - the little rascal almost ate the entire thing! Not sure it will survive... mosquitoes are unreal! but haven't noticed any aphids - yet anyway...

Kim, hope you are feeling much better!!

Holly - glad you decided to join us on here! You know what a rowdy bunch we are! :)

Jeri, you are going to feel odd when you open the door Saturday morning if we are all standing there! ^_^ Of course, we ALL know where I will be on Saturday - last weekend for house work at Alex's before the wedding! But I would much prefer to be at the plant sale!!

Hope everyone has a blessed day!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 16, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9125847

Hi Holly, we really need your help to keep Kim straight, so glad we have help now !!!!!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9126083

Yall know where your beds are!!!! Just saying...
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9126319

Welcome Holly!
I have a problem with something eating ferns. Stripping every plant just leaving the bare stems. I have tried to find the "beast" but so far nothing. So far It is leaving everything else alone... Any ideas? I thought if it keeps up or spreads to other plants I'll take it to the ag center when I get home from Calif. next week.

Think I'll try posting a picture on the pest forum.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9126380

Can't imagine!! I've never had anything bother my ferns.
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9126539

1.Onoclea, Sensitive Fern, before and after the bug/whatever started to eat it. 2. The only bug I could find on any of the plants. (Think I'll enter that in the photo contest, LOL) 3. Big Leaf magnolia bud. The leaves are 24" long. This is the only bud that was low enough to photograph and I won't be here when it opens. This is such a beautiful tree. 4. My new baby "Maggie"

Thumbnail by picabo   Thumbnail by picabo   Thumbnail by picabo   Thumbnail by picabo

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 16, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9126577

Maggie is adorable, Betty, is she going on the trip with you?
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9126588

Wish she could, I am just flying out for the weekend. Roy will stay home and "Babysit"

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 16, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9126609

That is good ! That is what keeps me from a house pet, I want to be free to go somewhere if I want for a few days. I have always told my family when I get to old to drive, I am going to get a lap dog !
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9126620

Lyn is getting married in Montana in October. Roy, "Maggie" and I are driving to Montana and then on to Calif. We just have to decide who is going to babysit the horse and Cats. Several people have offered to stay here, just have to see what works out. That is the hard part of pets, leaving them is so hard.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9126627

It's hard to take lap dogs with you if you fly but I've found they are easy to travel with by car. Mine are actually better behaved when they travel than they are at home!

I finally got all the plants in the ground I bought when Kathy Ann and I went shopping last Fri. My impatiens are alive and well!!! Crazy things are coming up everywhere again. In the front yard I have a trench around the rocks and they are coming up in there like I sowed a bunch of seed!! Going to have a bunch to give away again this year!!!

I had bought a pine cone ginger toward the end of the summer last year and thought for sure I had lost it over the winter. Nothing sticking out of the pot. I hadn't gotten around to throwing the pot away and just happened to notice that it had spouted from the root and is about 7 inches tall!! Yeah!! Sure glad I didn't dump the pot! Something to be said for procrastination!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9126660

Maggie is so cute!! Glad you found each other! And congrats to Lyn! That will be wonderful to go to Montana in Oct.

Don't have a clue what could be after your fern. I don't have that many ferns (deer) but never had a problem with something else chewing on them. But then bugs are everywhere this year.

Sandra, DL's are beginning to be in full bloom! Yeah!!! I bought some new ones, but they probably won't do much this year. I've decided I don't have rust, it's something else...a combination of aphids and slugs on a few I think. May be some other leaf split problem too but nothing as serious as rust. I didn't know aphids could cause these bumpy spots on buds (they look like warts), but I have 1-2 plants with that exact symptom on some of the buds. What do you spray with, if anything?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9126722

Well, I went back to work today but boy did I over do! So I will not be attending the MG state meeting which take place the rest of the week. I certainly would hate to be away from home and start bleeding or having pain or both! I still have tons of flowers that need to be planted in pots, weeding, etc. which will keep me busy but I can take frequent breaks. I am such a sissy these days ;o) Thanks for all of the prayers and concerns. Hopefully I will be good as gold by Monday!

Holly is thinking about having a plant swap. She does not live that far from me. Google Toltec Mounds in Scott, AR and she lives almost on top of one of the mounds ;o)) It will probably be in a few weeks which does not give everyone tons of time but it is better to have it before it gets waaaaay too hot. Of course, with gas prices so high, she will certainly understand that it may be too costly for a lot of you. I am just so thrilled that we have rubbed our garden magic on to (yet) another person!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9126739

Kim don't overdo! Kidney stones are sure nasty little buggers that want to hang around!!

Know the exact area Holly lives! Took the grandsons to the Toltec Mounds one summer and we walked all over the mounds, trails, etc.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 17, 2012

Post #9127035

I have always wondered why nurses think they can't be sick? Even nurses need time to heal, the healing time for everything has been cut short by money hungry insurance companies, but the body needs time to heal. Kim, I saw on FB you got brownies, we're you able to only eat one? I know it is very hard. I am going to get Charity and Faith today to stay till next Wed, and they love junk food, makes it hard on me too.

I don't spray my daylilies, but yes, thrips can cause bumps on blooms, they can also cause the buds to fall off. I am sure if you google you could find what to spray them with. I am having lots of blooms now, I am expecting peak bloom the first week of June here instead of the second the way they are going now.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9127071

Yeah, I am gonna take it easy for the next few days. I only worked 6 hours yesterday and really thought I would be fine...the last hour was tough. Sandra, luckily when I looked in the container of warm brownies, each one had a walnut on top, so I pulled one and it had a tiny bit of brownie. That was all I ate!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9127160

You are right, Sandra. My DD had rotator cuff surgery yesterday. Had a small tear and bursa plus bone spurs fixed. Fortunately they did it all arthroscopically so no big incisions, but she will be off for a week. She self-schedules her ER rotations, so she really is only missing about a day or 2 of work the way she is scheduling herself. She also won the Memorial Day off lottery, so that was another bonus day off for her. The doc said she can't swim for 3 weeks but she can resume biking and light jogging in a week if her therapist says it's ok. She's training for a sprint tri that is in late August.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 17, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9127746

Tell her Dr. Sandra said to give herself time to heal ! LOL !

I got Charity and Faith today, they finished up school yesterday and Amanda has to work through next Wed. We are all excited for some summer laziness!

Kim, you did great !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9127774

Jake my oldest grandson got his first job this week! He is going to be a cashier at Wal Mart this summer. My son called to tell me about it. He said he and Kristi were laughing about how excited they all were over a Wal Mart job!! LOL. They were expecting that he would be put in the stockroom and were surprised when they decided to put him as a cashier. It seems that just about all the summer jobs in their town are retail. He had applied a lot of places and they were all looking for someone with experience. The Wal Mart job will give him the experience he needs to work at some of the other places in town. Should be quite an experience for him!

Got a really busy long day tomorrow!! I'm ready for the weekend!! Next week will be much slower. Ready to catch up on some things!

Kim you really did do good!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2012

Post #9128159

I will Dr. Sandra! She will take it easy!! I promise you that.

Genna, I saw Jessica's picture on FB this morning! Congrats to her on being Valedictorian and know you must have been busting your buttons!! Glad y'all made it thru graduation and all that this week. Wedding coming up so we know y'all are super busy. Stay calm and enjoy it!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9129593

Hi, ladies! I am waaaaay behind here but have been posting on FB. As you know, I was married on May 5th to a wonderful man whose name is Allan Piche' (pronounced P-shay). I now live in the beautiful Ozark Mountains of Missouri on the Isabella mail route. I won't try to post photos here because I have read that you all are having trouble posting photos. I have enjoyed the photos that you have managed to post, though. Everyone's flowers are beautiful, as usual.
Kim, I am sorry about your diagnoses of diabetes and also about the kidney stone! My new hubby is diabetic--has been for about 20 years--but he does a real good job of managing it. His numbers are good most days although every so often they will be too high or too low. He doesn't have to take shots-just takes the same med that Kim does--although only once a day.
Genna: when is the wedding, exactly? I know you are excited about it!
Charlotte; tell Jake congrats on his job--he has to start somewhere and dealing with the folks who come through the check-out line will be good experience for him!
Sandra; good news about Jerry!
Waving to all the rest of you. If you central AR girls have a luncheon anytime soon, please let me know. I won't be able to come to one in June, though, because Al and I will be going on our honeymoon cruise to Alaska in the middle of June. Maybe y'all will decide to have a get together in July, instead. It will be too hot for us to be working outside and will be a good time for a luncheon--in my opinion. :o)
We have about 4 acres of land here. About half of it is wooded and goes down hill. That part is in the back and I won't be doing anything to it as Al has a deer feeder down there. He hunts deer from the back yard in the fall. :o)
I have actually been cooking with deer meat lately(once I made up my mind not to think about Bambi--LOL) --made spaghetti the other night. I can't tell much difference in the taste of it and beef.
The front yard has a lot of potential. There are some flower beds in place but they have been sadly neglected. Al's previous wife (also named Marilyn) died of cancer in 2011 after being ill for about a year. He took care of her at home and barely was able to keep the grass mowed much less maintain flower beds, which is certainly understandable. Anyway, we have worked together for a couple hours each day the last two days and have managed to make a dent in the weeds. I cut my thumb this morning while making breakfast. I wrapped the cut good and went outside to work in the flowerbeds but had to stop working as the cut did not want to stop bleeding. Allan told me to stop weeding :o) and come inside, so I did. I think it has finally stopped bleeding but I will wait until Monday or Tuesday before going back outside to work.
Anyway, I am going to post some photos on FB of a few things that I need an ID on so will you girls please make sure you look at them and see if you can give me an ID? I will really appreciate it.

By the way, I did renew my membership to Dave's for another year so I will be posting more regularly as soon as we finish our remodeling of our master bedroom and bath. Allan just needs to get the baseboard installed today and we can move the furniture back in. (This is how we have spent our honeymoon---remodeling! LOL)

You ladies have a blessed week-end! Love you all and miss seeing you, too!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9129777

Thanks for catching us up, Marilyn! Sounds like you have been busy getting your 'nest' built, but fun I'm sure! But you will enjoy that delayed real honeymoon! Sounds wonderful. I guess you will be getting more used to deer-proof planting, too! You two sound really happy and your property sounds beautiful! Post pics when you have time to downsize them and post.

BTW, my DD is doing great. She went to PT on Friday and she really has a lot of range of motion already. She is sore but not in a lot of pain. She only took the pain meds the first night, and she said they kept her awake so she is just taking the anti-inflammatory and the antibiotic. She is swollen and bruised as expected but amazingly good. Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and prayers for her. She's hoping to be back jogging and biking in a week and swimming in 3 when the doc told her she could go back in the water. Mostly because of the incisions.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9130019

Well Yall will enjoy this tale...my cousin normally host our annual plant sale but at the last minute her mom fell and broke a bone in her back and couldn't do it. I know you know the next part. LOL!!! I volunteered my little bed barn and since they really had no other choice, they all agreed and the sale was suppose to be today. The paper made a mistake and at 8:00 yesterday my doorbell rang. I quickly texted the club members and one lady immediately showed up and our club president made it after she finished grocery shopping with her mom. We ended up making about $250.00 yesterday and about another $1000.00 today. This is how we pay for the speakers at our monthly meetings and this should be a good year for us. It's over and went well but I am exhausted.

Genna I am so proud of Jessie!!! This is just the beginning of great things for her!!!! Congrats to your entire family!!!!

Elaine your daughter seems to be doing exceptionally well this soon after surgery!!! TG!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9130039

Jeri it's a good thing you were at home!! What a surprise! That was a good little fund raiser!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9130064

Really good thing, knowing me. You never know where I may end up on a Friday morning since Ashley is out of school on Fridays now. But after I got over the initial shock, it was OK.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 19, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9130111

Did you see the article about going to Rita's today ?

Jeri, did you keep the leftovers?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2012

Post #9130345

LOL!!! I am totally slipping I bought nothing and kept nothing!!! My neighbor, Debbie has a little nursery and we gave her all of our left overs, which were not much since they reduced the price at 12:00 from $3.00 to $1.50. There were 3 banana plants that got left in the barn and I did pick them up but just to save them. Right!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9130408

You are slipping!!!LOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 20, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9130424

Ha ha ha Jeri... you know you HAD to keep something, but from looking at your photos of your yard on FB, I don't know where on earth you will put it. But it sure is beautiful. I NEED a place like that to just collapse currently!

Elaine, sorry to hear about your daughter having to have surgery, but glad it went well. Sounds like she is planning to heal quickly and get back to business!

Marilyn, good to see you posting! I know you have been busy! I had to laugh at your remodeling honeymoon - unfortunately the remodeling sounds WAYYYYY tooo familiar right now.

We had graduation Thursday night of course, and yes, Jessica was one of three Valedictorians in her class. There has been a lot of drama and a lot of mess all year and I was thankful to have it over and be done with our local school! I have told them I will still come to booster club meetings for a while and try to help the next set learn what to do, but I am thankful to have my kids out of there!! Jessica ended with 119,875 in scholarships! Her education is paid for and we are extremely grateful to God for providing a way for her to go to OBU where she has ALWAYS wanted to go! She was second in scholarships only to a girl who got the governor's distinguished because of that elusive 32+ on the ACT and the automatic free ride from OBU that goes with it! Jessi was only about a 1000 behind her! But we had to get hers a bit here and a bit there and then the big governor's, rehab, and Coke sure helped a LOT! She also got the Ouachita Co Medical Society Scholarship which is $ 1,200 a year paid directly to them, which means she can use that money toward her laptop, or gas, or dorm supplies or whatever she needs which makes it easier!! A bit of bragging here I know, but I wanted to say I am extremely proud of her, and especially proud because she is the only one of the valedictorians that participated in any sports or worked AND she has over 1800 hours of community service! One had none, and the other had a couple of hundred hours. So I think she is much more rounded and balanced and accomplished much more than JUST being valedictorian!

To give you a small indicator of how the past several years at our school has gone - our school has ALWAYS listed every scholarship that every child receives ( it is a long list, but it lets parents and kids in the stands know it IS possible to pay for your higher education) and they always start with the child with the least amount of scholarship money and work thru them one at a time until they reach the top student with the largest amount of money. They have done this for at least 20+ years... BUT this year, they changed the way they did it to "save time". They listed the scholarships for the honor graduates (16) in alphabetical order, then did the rest of the class in aphabetically order... did it save time, no ... because they still had to list every scholarship for every student so exactly the same...so why did they change it??? Because the principal's son ( ranked 5th behind the three valedictorians and the salutatorian) had 25K and would have been not at the very bottom but very close to the bottom. I would say in bottom 10% of the class who received scholarships. So the entire tradition had to be altered for his son ! This has been how it has been for the past 5 years...the school is ran by what his children want or don't want to the EXTREME!! I died laughing yesterday when Alex said "HOW does he think he is benefitting his kids by them getting everything they want, and how they want it done and getting grades altered? I would have HATED for you to have been the principal because I would have had it HARDER than everyone else!" ... exactly. Thank you Lord that I do NOT have to deal with those issues any more!!

Took Friday off so that Leigh and I could spend Friday and Saturday working at Alex's house. Nothing we have done for the past two days have been major ... just a long list of little things that needed to be finished here or there... Didn't get it all done but we made a major dent. He had wanted the flooring changed in his entrance and lower foyer but doesn't look like we will make that. We also found another issue with the deck that needs to be resolved, but it didn't HAVE to be done before the wedding. Other than some minor painting in the lower level (Which is SMALL) and the foyer flooring... i think we got everything done inside that he wanted done before the wedding. Which, by the way Marilyn, is next Saturday, May 26. We need to hang a towel bar, shower curtain, and toilet paper holder in the remodeled bathroom on Wednesday when we go to LR. We have a banquet for Jessi on Wednesday in LR where she gets one of her scholarships, and then Kyle flies in from the middle east at 6 p.m. so we will have a few hours to finish up some little things. I HOPE to get to help him clean some on Wednesday as well...

I have a few daylilies blooming but most of the blooms aren't opening fully before the die for the day. If they do, it is late in the day so they are not nearly as pretty as they usually are! I HOPE whatever is causing that stops before all the blooms are finished!

Kim, if Holly decides on a date for a plant swap, let us know. I would LOVE to come to something relaxing in June!!! Maybe the whole month of June... ^_^ of course, I KNOW that is not going to happen! I have threatened my family just to leave for the month of June so if any of you DG friends hear your doorbell ring, it might be me coming to stay for a few days. I figure I could just move from place to place and catch up on my rest and get my buddy fix for all the get togethers I have missed since I started this project!

Have a great day everyone! Have senior day at church today...made it thru baccalaureate and graduation without crying- HOPE I can get thru this without losing it! :)

Genna
Genna

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012

Post #9130537

Thank you all for the kind words! The lowest my FBS has been is 114. Not too bad considering it was 303! We are trying to get it down and then slowly back peddle on the meds. I have lost 5 pounds (big deal! lol) but at least I am not gaining! No more kidney pain...but we are going to do a test and see if I have a chemical imbalance which causes stones to form. If so, there are meds that I can take that will help to stop the forming of stones. Personally, I think I don't drink enough! I have never been one to drink. I am rarely thirsty. When I do drink, it is only enough to wash food down. I'm a bad girl ;o))

I am so happy for Jesse, Genna! How is Alex doing in Med School? I cannot even imagine how hard it must be...

Elaine, hope your daughter is doing well. We should not ever have to have surgery in the spring and/or summer...only in the deepest coldest part of winter should things happen to need surgery! lol

Waving back at ya, Marilyn. Holly has been about as busy as Genna! I am not certain that she will be able to have a RU in June but if she doesn't, I will have a luncheon. I promise to let you and Genna know. Y'all have been away from the group for too long! You both are missed!

Jeri, you certainly did well considering. I probably would have fallen apart! Knowing me, I would have bought all of the plants and put out a sign that said, "All Plants Sold. See You Next Year...At Someone Else's House!" LOL So glad it went so well and sounds like there must have been some really great plants for you to make that much money!

Gonna go play outside now...love you all!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9131274

I tried uploading 5 photos and it lost my post and the photos!!! I'll try doing a few at a time one more time!!
The first one is a swan that lives at Wildwood my MG project. He lives on a large pond with several ducks. However he is very social and has a mind of his own. I think he heard us and decided to come visit. He is not easy to shoo back to his home!!
The other is my Sweet Bay Magnolia bloom. The lady at Pine Ridge Nursery suggested it several years ago and I've really enjoyed it. It's the perfect size for the spot.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9131283

OK 2 worked. Now I'll try a few daylilies. I just took these with my iphone - didn't want to go back in the house for the camera.

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9131499

My posts got deleted and I gave up, but Kim I meant to tell you to start drinking water!!!!!! Nurses know better!!! You sound like Richard. I cannot get him to drink enough fluids. His idea of having a glass of water or any kind of fluid is drinking about about four sips. Gotta have something in to get something out!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9131671

Genna, I'm glad you have us to vent to!!! My heart aches for you over that whole mess. It just isn't fair to change a tradition just to satisfy the needs of one, but I'm with you...glad you're outta there!! Take the high road and don't look back. In 5-10 years when (and if) she goes back for a class reunion, we'll see who is where in the world! And you can bet she and the others who are on top now will be on top later and can hold their heads high just like they did on graduation night. The others will slither in like the snakes they are today.

Jeri, I'm with Kim...I'd have fallen apart too!

Beautiful pictures, Charlotte. I haven't had the patience to try to upload pics again, although I've been taking some. It's frustrating to lose posts trying to post pics.

I tackled the weeds in my wooded bed behind the house. I don't know why I waited so long. I must have pulled out hundreds of pine seedlings and dug up untold numbers of those pesky wild violets. Still not done, but I finally can see my huge ferns I planted a few years back and some of the hostas the deer haven't found yet. Didn't know the ferns had gotten so big. Oh well, at least the deer can find the hosta now, lol! I had a couple of astilbe too, but it's pretty dry back there right now so they are fading. We're going to cut back some limbs and a few trees that are overgrown. I wish now I had planted a few more oak-leaf hydrangeas. The 2 there have done beautifully...may have to try to put some in there this fall and see if I can get it looking better. I guess I have my next project!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9131841

Elaine, the oak leaf hydrangeas grow wild here in the woods, some places they just cover a huge area.
It is dry here too, my pink astilbe is blooming but it is so short you can barely see it in the shade bed !

Congrats to Jessie, and we want to hear how Ales did, too.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9132067

Hi everyone!!!!

I'm so far behind I think I'm ahead...

Nice pics everyone!! I'm going to take some this evening, my lilies and everything else is going insane!! I dug up at least 150 yellow iris last weekend, now comes time time to separate them!

Kim I am sooooo glad that you're feeling better and doing better, yes drink water!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Welcome Holly!!! So glad you finally made it on!!

Betty so good to see you!!

Marilyn And anyone else, I have plants if you want plants, you name it, lilies, iris, canna, hot lips, your blue sapphire salvia, I have some sort of red salvia too, Jacob's Cline bee balm, and whatever else that I may have that I don't know about, I'm going to have to dig it all up anyway.

Genna CONGRATS to Jessi!!!!!! Glad the rest of your group is doing good too!

Ok, here's my story, been wanting to say this for awhile and I just haven't found the right words, so here goes. Me and Dave are getting divorced. I'll save the details for later, but he is far far from the man he was a little over a year ago and he thinks he is hot to trot and everything is about him, and someone died and he became God. Well, I know no one died and he is an extremely far cry from the other, and he doesn't notice me at all, I might as well be a light fixture, so I'm divorcing him even though he's the one who wanted it. He's also trying to in on my inheritance, including the house, so I'm having to deal with that, and he's still living with me to boot, waiting for me to leave so he can say I abandoned the house, he's quite the gold digger. So, that being said, since everything needs to be separated anyway, I'll bring stuff to the RU but I can't take anything because I don't know what's going to happen, I do know that at some point in time I will be moving into Benton or Bryant with much less than an acre of land and it'll cut the drive in half to work. All I know is when this is final and he is gone WE are going to have a party at MY house! HA!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9132080

Christine so sorry to hear that your going through a bad time! That's why I think it's important to protect personal assets that you bring into a marriage. You certainly go into marriage expecting it to be forever but there are no guarantees!!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9132201

Crissy, you feel like a 'sister'!! I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but you know you have shoulders to lean on and cry on here! Just be strong and stand your ground. Charlotte is right! Hang in there.

Sandra, the oak leaf hydrangeas were all over the woods where my Mom and Dad had their lake house too. My Mother was always digging them up and planting them around her house. My cousin did the same and gave me a bunch when we built our house. That's where all of mine came from. I've rooted some and given them to friends. Now I need to keep a few more for myself! Most of mine are huge.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9132288

Crissy I'm sorry too!!! Sounds like you will be better off without him for sure!!!! You will be just fine!!!!!

Genna I think you did the right thing. All of that is behind you now and hopefully so much better things to look forward too.

Elaine they have a whole series of new hydrangeas. My daughter gave me the reblooming hydrangea for my BD. I got a shooting star hydrangea for Mother's Day. Made out like a bandit. I had never seen either and it really pleased her to give me plants that I had never seen. LOL!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9132396

I'm trying to put out new type hydrangeas in the back. I put out several of the small size ones in one area last year and I'm really pleased with how they look. Would like to add some more new varieties and eventually get rid of several of my old blue mop heads. They are pretty but want more variety.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9132556

Crissy, join the club---you can consider Dave, your trial hubby when the divorce is final. Is he still working in California ? You keep your share of everything, down to the wash rags ! Don't feel sorry for him, cause he sure won't for you, been there and done that !

Jeri, tell us more about this new hydrangea series

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9132615

Yes I want to know more about that series too! Just got back from my garden. Keep picking radishes. I planted them way too thick. I thinned them out a lot but hated to get rid of so many of them. I keep just picking to give more room. They are very tasty! Got my first cucumber today!! I put up netting this afternoon. I had it over my strawberries and that has worked really well. So I decided to just go ahead and put it over everything. Maybe the critters (and possible small kids) will decide it's not a good place to be. Haven't really had any problems - had just a couple of things go missing. The guy next to me saw a squirrel in my bed one day. Just decided to make it hard for them!!! LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9132635

In the community garden, is what you harvest your own? Is the harvest shared?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9132649

No it's your own. We each have our own space and plant and work that space ourselves. It's community in that it is on land that is owned by our POA and the raised beds were built with money that came from our dues. We all have to pay a mandatory fee every year. Then those that want to use the pool have to pay a pool fee in addition to the POA fee. Those fees are used to maintain the pool. There are some people (not many) that choose not to pay their fee. However, a lien is placed against their house and when they sell they can't close until the back fees are all paid.

We did each have to pay a yearly fee to rent our raised bed. I have a large one and paid $50 for the year. The people that have the smaller ones pay $25. That fee will help defray the cost of watering this summer.

I have really enjoyed meeting people in the neighborhood that live on different streets. Several folks were down tonight when I was there.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 21, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9132655

Crissy, so sorry to hear you are going thru this right now! It does sound like you will be better off without him, but I know it still hurts. We are here whenever you need to vent!

Charlotte, I bet your fresh veggies are tasty! Sounds wonderful... I had hopes of having some this year - but no such luck! MAYBE next spring will be a little calmer!

Alex officially ended his last day of medical school on May 11! He ended with a bang because the last national test he took he made in the 75th percentile... considerable better than any test he has taken all year! He still ended with a C in the class, said even if he had made 99th percentile he would have still had a C - but he barely skimmed by and passed by enough of a margin - might say by the skin of his teeth to NOT be on academic probation for next year. Never thought we would be so excited over a C! He is already trying to study for next year. He listens to lectures all the time, and he is going to have a preceptorship with Dr Seale in Little Rock this summer. This is the doctor that he has already shadowed quite a bit that did his back surgery when Alex was in his Senior year at OBU. He actually applied for a preceptorship in Neurosurgery with Dr Shlessinger (sp?) there in LR as well, but didn't expect to stand a chance because of his low class rank and gpa. He used Dr Seale as a reference and texted him to give him a heads up that he had used him for a reference just in case they called. Dr Seale inquired how much the preceptorship would pay and Alex told him, so he said he would pay him that to work with him this summer ! He just did that out of the goodness of his heart and because he likes Alex - didn't ask what his gpa was or anything...just said he would welcome him in. So, Alex starts that on June 1 and Natalie starts her job at JCrew the same day. Her job is a just a part time job while she looks for something in her field, but she knew they needed her working at something. He says that he learns by going over and over material and that MOST of the material on the exams he never even got a chance to look at once! His friend from college that was his study partner and an almost straight A student at OBU is struggling with his med school classes too. And, he says year two is worse! I told Josh I wasn't sure how any of us would survive it if is was worse than this past year...but he says to get ready! :( But, Alex is trying hard to get a jump on next year and is reviewing lots of material and trying to learn material he didn't get to learn earlier this year. He has also started utilizing a study group right toward the end that I think helped a lot. He had tried one earlier in the year, but it wasn't a good fit for him and didn't help him. This group of kids is actually beneficial to him. They are going to Denver for their honeymoon. definitely not what I would consider a honeymoon destination necessarily but they are both excited about the trip. They love big cities and they are going to spend a couple of days seeing the town, and then maybe do some hiking or mountain biking on another day... they love Colorado so they should have fun! Leigh and I went to LR for our honeymoon ...kinda ironic considering we go there every weekend now! LOL But June 5 we will celebrate 30 years. I think we will be so exhausted that we won't go anywhere!!

Genna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9132769

I think this is the one I got for my BD( I got the Forever Red)

http://foreverandeverplants.com/Index.aspx/GardenFavorites/Hydrangeas?gclid=CNeH_t_rkrACFWLktgodLRTtqA

This is the Shooting Star Hydrandeas

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=shooting+star+hydrangeas&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&biw=1920&bih=834&tbm=isch&tbnid=3ydpe7xxnT6WEM:&imgrefurl=http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/shooting-star-hydrangea&docid=5cw37E3LfvjgEM&imgurl=http://cn1.kaboodle.com/img/c/0/0/1b8/9/AAAADEo7oRIAAAAAAbicGQ/shooting-star-hydrangea.jpg%253Fv%253D1324450704000&w=275&h=300&ei=qvm6T-bBOKu_2QXGo7CzCQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=817&sig=100348286821953265629&page=1&tbnh=119&tbnw=150&start=0&ndsp=56&ved=1t:429,r:39,s:0,i:157&tx=97&ty=69

Have Yall seen them before?

This message was edited May 21, 2012 8:47 PM
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9132817

Genna, you know how the saying goes...the world is run by C students! That would be your Alex, lol!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9133162

Genna I used to think A's were everything but have learned that you can do just as much with a C, D or F. School is just the prep work and it's what you do in life that counts!!! Alex will be OK!!! I have found that usually the straight A students have done nothing but study and they are not well rounded like you explained about Jessie. She made the grade and participated in sports and community service. To me that counts for more.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9133203

Jeri I totally agree!!! My son was super smart and made very good grades without having to really study. He feels the same way! He has two sons that school work is very easy for them and are in advanced classes and one that has to work a little harder. But they have never stressed grades with their kids. They just want them to make decent grades but don't feel that it's necessary that they make all A's. He says he wants them to have fun also. They play LaCrosse, play in a Jazz band and play in the regular marching band. Very involved in a church youth group. My son went to two good schools - the University of Arkansas and Southern Methodist University but he believes it doesn't really matter where you go to school and what kind of grades you make (as long as you have a decent GPA). It's just what you said Jeri - it's what you do with yourself.

He got a very good job 7 months before he even graduated. That was back in the days when companies really recuited - don't know if they do that anymore. He was telling me when he was here recently that he thought he got that job because he was a jock! He played football in high school and made all state but didn't pursue it any further. Jeff said the guys that were doing the recuiting were former jocks and from the south and everyone they recuited fit that mold. You first had to be from the south, be a jock and lastly have a decent GPA. LOL
Once he got that job what he did with himself was what got him ahead.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9133220

Amen to all that!! It sounds like we've all got some great kids and grandkids that are an awful lot alike!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 22, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9133245

Yeah, I know. I have pushed mine to make good grades because I knew they could pay for a large part or all of their college that way. But I also knew it was critical that they be well rounded and active citizens in the community. I think they will be more productive and more beneficial to society in the long run like that! And it has paid off for them... but with Alex, his rank and gpa will probably be the single largest determining factor as to what type of specialty he gets to pursue. :( he has been told from the start that he would have to be in the top 5 - 10% of his class to get into an orthopedic residency. He is NO where near that...and unfortunately his average is no where near a C either. :( But we are hoping that all the prep work this summer will help for next year and that he can move that gpa upward!
We didn't expect straight A's in med school... but it has been rough for him physically and emotionally to study all the time and make the grades he has been making. He says that he has decided that medicine is an apprenticeship - with two years of H**l that you have to make it thru before you start the apprenticeship. I think he may be right. He says if the average patient knew what they were studying they would really be alarmed because they study things that they are told that they will NEVER see... but those are the things they are tested on most. :( OH well, year one is down. Now, we focus on two!

Kyle sent me a text this morning and he was headed to the airport. Not sure what time they leave over there ... but he won't land in LR until tomorrow at 6 p.m. I will be glad to have him back on American soil, and he says he will be glad to get some American food! :) Hope he can stay awake for the rehearsal dinner and wedding this weekend... he is going to be jetlagged!

Jeri - I have seen the white forever hydrangea at Lowes...and drooled over it, but I haven't purchased any yet. In fact, I even considered using white hydrangeas as the centerpieces for the rehearsal dinner on Friday night... (how greedy is that - because then I would take them home and plant them! :)

I am trying right now to work out using a white lantern with a trailing golden yellow lantana in it. So far, I haven't been able to find lantana in a small enough pot that is big enough to actually trail... if that makes any sense. My SIL sent me a pic of a centerpiece with a white wire birdcage with a trailing verigated ivy in it. It was pretty but I am using black tablecloths (because they are borrowed) and the room is a deep golden yellow color so I thought the lantana would really look nice. Don't have it worked out yet, so I may have to punt and do something totally different! I hate it when I FINALLY decide what I want and then still can't make it work. ... Those hydrangeas might start looking better... ^_^

Hope everyone has a great day! Better get busy... probably will be off the rest of the week. Hate to think of what next Tuesday will be like at work - but at least it is the end of the month instead of the beginning...

Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9133367

I have seen the red one, but not the shooting stars one ! I finally have got some blooming, I have never been able to get them to live before, but have found they do well in my shade bed. I always planted them in the sun and they would not make it, but the ones I put in the shad bed are doing great !
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012

Post #9133428

Thank you y'all!!! I really appreciate it, and I am optimistic and will remain so, he seems to be trying to bully me and little and I'm not getting mad or upset or anything, just keep thinking that everything will work out in the long run and it will be ok, I mean, it has to be ok because the other is just unacceptable!

Genna I was always a C student, even in college, I didn't have any scholarships or anything else, did take Jazz and Marching band growing up, never played sports (when God built this body he did not design it for any type of sporting activity lol) did everything pretty much on my own. My grandfather was always up my beehind about straight A's but that just wasn't me. My mom kept trying to explain that to him but I don't think he ever really got it, just do the best you can do and that's it. I do agree that the kids who make the lower grades are usually more rounded because they are paying attention to other things that they're doing and learning about other things than just having their nose stuck in a book. Not saying all kids are this way but you all understand. Being book smart won't get you places that being street smart will.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9133439

Sandra, the ones in my shadier spots do better also for the most part. But the key the first year or two is water, water, water. After that they aren't as picky. But I do have one that gets full morning sun and it is the biggest one and blooms the most. The ones in more shade don't bloom as much or have as big blooms as the one that get more sun. They just have grown more slowly. Still pretty though.

Crissy, I hope you won't have long to wait him out! At some point maybe he will just get the hint and move on out of your house and out of your life. Just protect everything, and I mean everything you have. When you leave, no matter if it's for work, or to go somewhere, make sure your things are protected...he could move everything out while you are gone...I've seen it happen to people I know and there is nothing they can do when it's too late. If you have not talked to a lawyer yet, do so as soon as possible and make sure he can't do this or if he does it's not without penalty in the long run. Freeze your portion of the accounts or move your part out before he cleans you out. This is not a time for trust.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9133483

Christine, Elaine has given you some excellent advice!! She knows what she is talking about!! You need to talk to a lawyer if you have not already about your house. I hope you have it in your name only. My house is one of the assets I owned prior to Richard and I marrying. He signed away his dowager rights and I put it into a revocable trust.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9133615

Crissy, he may WANT you to believe everything is ok when he is plotting and planning something. That is probably why he's not talking. I hate to sound negative and I deeply hope I am wrong but I've seen really get burned from trying to be nice and think everything will work out ok in their favor. And then Boom! Why was I so nice and thought he was too? When you're in your 60's I guess we've seen it all. I thought my ex was pretty good too and would be nice, but then when I went to pick up some of my furniture he had moved, I found he had keyed and scratched things, even my piano. Could I do anything about it? No. That was mild and fixable (mostly) compared to stuff I've seen happen to some of my friends. I reminded him our daughter would be the proud owner of things like that scratched piano one day that HE damaged. Idiot. Yep, just consider him your 'Starter' hubby. But learn these lessons quick.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9133663

Elaine your right! We've gathered a lot of experience along the way! I had some things that were important to me but I knew he could care less about and was afraid he would do something like happened to you so I rented a storage unit and put those things in there! They were small things not. It pieces of furniture - china, etc, etc

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9133771

I was making some pictures today of the daylilies and was pushing some foliage back looking fir a tag and I found something rather unusual. This is a variegated sedum, can't remember the name, but it is one of the tall ones and I found a sprout that is completely while. I don't know if it is from being covered up with daylily foliage or what, but it looks weird !

Thumbnail by slcdms

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9133807

LOL! You guys, this started in mid March, I had him served on May 1st. Everything I have, the house and everything in it, was bought with an inheritance I got long before I met him. I have no antiques, china, no hutch, nothing like that, and I have pictures of everything. I make $12.00 an hr so I cannot afford to rent a storage and put furniture in it, nor do I have the gumption or energy to do that, he's on vacation and I'm not, how am I going to do that without him knowing it anyway. If he takes it he has to give it back OR buy it from me. My attorney has the complete paper trail from back to 1997. I've been one step ahead of him the whole time and he's not going to get me now, heck he never thought I had it in me to have him served and he still says that there's no way I got an attorney on my own, or going through with this on my own, somebody has to be telling me what to do! Guess what, my cop mom taught me well and I do have a backbone and I will stick up for myself! He's lost his mind anyway lol

I think he's switching attorneys. I don't think he told his first attorney that there is an inheritance involved and he can't go back to her now because of it. If I move furniture out of that house he could say I abandoned the house and stole the jointly owned furniture and until the judge sees otherwise that's not a good way to look.

My attorney says every judge is different of course, but most of the time it doesn't matter if his names on it or not, I bought it with inherited money I received before we got married and there's a paper trail proving that.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9133811

Wow Sandra you found an albino!! Parts of my brugs have white leaves on them, while other parts are dark green, I'm blaming it on the heat lol

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9133872

Crissy, if a man treated me like I did not even have enough sense to hire an attorney------well, he would be long gone !!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9133881

LOL that's what I'm saying Sandra, after I got the attorney, actually I think it's the day he was served, he stood in the doorway to my hallway and told me that I'm beyond stupid. That's when I was officially done, after I took care of him when he was unemployed and on unemployment for 1 1/2 years, the second time he didn't have a job during the marriage, third during the whole relationship, and he has the nerve to treat me like this? If it weren't for me he wouldn't have half the crap he thinks he has now, and no I didn't gift him anything either. LOL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9133944

Crissy you know Mary my niece, and her story so I won't bore you with it again. But to make my point with no children involved the best you can hope for is come out with what you went into the marriage with. Hopefully he doesn't try to get alimony from you since you have been employed throughout your marriage and relationship and he wasn't for a large part of it. It would be sorry on his part but at a time like this you can expect him to be exceptionally SORRY!!!

Just remember we are here for you and if you need to rant come to us and not jeopardize anything by showing your hand too soon.

((HUGS)))
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9135006

Good for you Crissy!! I echo what Jeri says about the alimony. Hopefully he won't even think of going there with the alimony since he seems to be the deadbeat that can't keep a job. I hope he doesn't have your paswords for DG!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9135338

I have two good friends that are paying alimony to their ex's. Don't think that it can't happen b/c that was how they thought until the reality hit them in the checkbook. If you know what I mean. Don't mention that he was unemployed for ever how long it was b/c that was what happened to them they were gonna use that info against their ex's and it backfired. Of course, here in La. you are only due alimony for a year so that TG will soon be over.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9135382

He's always made more than me, except on unemployment, and right now he makes $4.00 more an hr than I do, I don't make enough to support myself, by myself, so that would seriously suck. It's all inheritance, not just what I came into the marriage with, and my house is part of that.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9135736

Christine you do need to be aware that co mingling funds regardless of the source can create problems.

When my dad died my brother was having lots of marital problems and the attorney helping us with my dad's estate knew that. He told my brother (with me in the room) to be certain that he did not co mingle any of the money he was receiving from my dad.

I had a very good friend that went through a very nasty and long drawn out divorce 2 years ago. About the time they started having problems in their marriage he gave her some documents to sign taking her off an account they held together. Prior to their marriage he had acquired some bank stock and then while they were married the bank sold and he got a significant sum for his stock. For some reason he decided to put her name on the account when he deposited it. She did not want the divorce and was trying to make the marriage work at that point so she signed the documents he gave to her taking her name off. During the divorce he said she was not due any of that money as it was stock he held prior to their marriage. He owns a business that does very well and one that he inherited from his father so prior to getting married she signed a prenuptial agreement as he wanted to protect the business and make certain it was passed to his children. So he thought he had everything covered. I went with her to the divorce hearing which lasted an entire day. She did not get any of the funds from the bank stock when things were decided that day as the decisions were based primarily on the prenuptial agreement. But she took it to the appeals court and won half of the money. It was a significant amount of money and worth the expense she went to. He was such an a-- and treated her so bad before and during the divorce that she finally decided it was time to stand up for herself - he was shocked when she won!!!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9136670

Charlotte there's only $7000 left of my inheritance and there is $100 left in the joint checking account after paying bills. he's going after half of that, whatever, I'm glad I spent my money on me hahahaha! I don't care if he goes after half of $7000.00, what's going on is he's saying that an inheritance only works once, once you sell the building you inherited and even though bought another with the same money it's no longer an inheritance. My attorney says he's dead wrong on that. He feels he hasn't got his fair share out of the marriage and he's mad about it, he's a 5 year old.

It's the house that I'm protecting. My car is solely in my name, his car is solely in his name, and the truck is in both our names which, along with the house, is what I am going for. Funny cause the truck is worth $7000, kind of comes out a wash with the money that's in savings.

That's awesome she won!! Don't ever sign anything your spouse gives you unless you know exactly what it is and if it's going to benefit you. Yup, just because you lose in a divorce doesn't mean you won't win in an appeal, and everyone can be sued for any reason and every lawsuit can be appealed.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9136699

She knew exactly what she was signing. She's a very astute business person and works in the financial industry. She was just trying to save the marriage and at the time the marriage was more important to her than money. Her attorney told her from the beginning she would be able to get the money. The reason - in Arkansas anything you hold jointly (even though in her case her name was off the account at the time of the divorce) becomes marital property and each is entitled to 1/2. It had been marital property during the marriage. It was an asset he had acquired prior to their marriage but by putting her name on the account he made it joint property.

A house that is jointly owned is probably also considered marital property. My house I owned prior to marrying DH and want it to go to my son and family. To make certain that would happen he had to sign away his dowager rights and then I made the arrangements I wanted. Otherwise he would have had a right to a portion of the house although it was an asset I held prior to marriage and the title to the house was just in my name. If I should die before him, he does have the right to continue living here so I'm not kicking him out.LOL However should a female move in or he remarry then he loses that right.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9136757

Charlotte, from what my attorney is saying and what's cool is with the Inheritance Law if I can prove by paper trail that my house was purchased with the same money that came from an inherited house it falls as inherited property and belongs to the person who got the inheritance. It doesn't work that way when you bought something on your own then got married, there's no inheritance there.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9136765

That's a dedicated lady to want to save her marriage that bad. That's right though, as soon as her name went on it, it became half hers. This is what Dave is sticking to and saying inheritance doesn't matter, but all the attorneys here in the office I work in, my police friends, and my divorce attorney all say it does matter simply because of the law, this is why there is an inheritance law. If I ever get married again, which I probably will at some point, I'm going to marry a man who already has a house and I'll live there and just put my inherited money in stocks solely in my name. Ha!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 24, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9136803

Crissy, i hope you win everything you want, let him go out and work and get what he needs !!

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 24, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9136825

This Lily is tall as I am, it is Trumphinator. Guess where i planted it??? In the miniature daylily bed-LOL !

Thumbnail by slcdms

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9136964

There you go Christine!!! Sounds like you've got enough attorney's that should know what they are talking about.. Just make sure you get what is yours!!!

Sandra I've done the same thing! I love those lilies but haven't figured out just where you can put them. I have one in the back almost as tall as one of my brugs and so far it standing upright. I have trouble with them flopping over and I have to stake them. Still love them!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 24, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9137548

Yes, and this one really smells good!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9137998

OOOOO Sandra I love that even though it is in the wrong bed LOL!!

My lilies are going insane, when I get time this afternoon I'll download them and post them.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9138012

Okay, Holly is just too busy to have a plant swap, so I am willing to have a luncheon/pot luck at my house in June...if you want to pot up a few plants and just bring them and swap like that, fine with me. I am thinking either June 23 or June 30. I know everyone will not be free on those two dates, so we will just go with the majority. Please let me know which date is best.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9138033

Kim either one will work for me. With teenage girls I can imagine how busy Holly is!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9138036

Kim, how are you feeling now? I can't make it to the swap, but I just want to encourage everyone to bring good foods so Kim will not be tormented by all the sweets, she is still getting used to being carb restricted.

You would think with a name like Trumphinator, I would have had an idea it didn't belong in a miniature bed--lol, lol, lol !

We are looking for Eli any day now, we went shopping last night when Amanda came to pick up the girls and finished up getting the few things she liked being ready for him. She also took back the pj's and robe I got her. Since she is 6'1" the short robe I got her was a little too short, summer stuff is all that is out now, so she is just going to have to do without a robe at the hospital, it seems, unless I can find a long one on the net. She wound up just getting some pj pants and is going to wear some big t shirts with them.
She has had 3 showers and he still didn't have a comb and brush, just little things like that, but we are ready for him now, as Cayla says every day " COME ON BABY"
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9138071

I feel great, Sandra! Of course, I never felt bad before I found out I had diabetes...kidney stone on the other hand, HURT! So glad those suckers are gone! Forcing myself to drink and not eat carbs is horrible. I hate both, but I am starting to get the hang of it...sorta ;o)

I so wish everyone could come to luncheon but with gas prices and such, I certainly understand the no can dos.

Isn't there a song called Eli's Coming? Perfect! Yikes I am really showing me age! The song was by Three Dog Night.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9138142

I will have to look that up, don't remember that one ! So glad the kidney pain is gone now
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9138511

Yes, Kim!! There was a song 'Eli's Coming' and yes I think it was by Three Dog Night (definitely showing my age here too). Sandra, I know y'all are ready for Eli! Must be very exciting. I didn't realize Cayla was so tall!

Kim, glad the pain is gone, baby, gone!

Genna, thinking of y'all on your big weekend. Best to all of you for a beautiful, and loving wedding weekend.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9142128

Happy Memorial Day Everyone!!!

Kim so glad you're feeling good, glad you never really felt bad except for the kidney stone, no pain can describe urinary pain, been there done that!

Well I can't commit to any date but the later the date the better for me, June 23rd is my dad's birthday so I'm going to stay clear of that, but if you have it on the 23rd and I'm here I'll come! I'm playing this game, just in case I can't get up there for Father's Day I'll shoot for his birthday, then any weekend afterwards until this stupid divorce is final. What's bad is my mom and her husband decided to put their house up for sale last Friday with no showings until Tuesday (she's moving back to California even though she can't hardly move at all.) Well a Realtor called their Realtor and said she was going to make an offer on it last Saturday, after seeing the pictures she's doing sight unseen. My mom's in a panic as she is in no condition to move, my step dad doesn't seem to care, and if this happens I may not get to see my mom at all this year, and who knows when I'll get to see her after that. Just ticks me off that I'm so stuck I can't even see my mom, that's pathetic on Dave's part.
Speaking of, I'm going to have him removed this week, he says he can't move out because it's called abandonment because his name is on the house and for us to not live together I have to have him removed, then he said it was illegal to have him removed altogether, just making stuff up as he goes I guess, so I'll file the order of protection and what-not, already told my attorney as he did work today, and forward we go.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9142183

Christine sorry your having such a problem with Dave! Sounds like he's trying to go for half of the house. I would say that's to be expected! These things never seem to go smooth!! It took me an entire year to get mine finalized. I thought we were going to have to go before the court to have our settlement decided then at the last minute he finally agreed to work things out. Hang in there!!

Has your mom been thinking about going back to CA or did she just kinda suddenly decide to do this. A plane ticket might be a good birthday or Christmas present from her!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9142322

Oh Crissy, what a mess...I am so sorry this has just all piled on you at once! We are going to pick June 30, 2012 for luncheon at my house. I hope you and Marilyn can make it...
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9142391

Luncheon thread...I wish all of you could join us!!! I love and miss you all!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1261533/

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9142561

I had the best time tonight! Doesn't take much to entertain me! I decided to pull up all my turnip greens this afternoon so I can plant Kentucky Wonder Beans tomorrow. By the time I got around to getting the turnips ready to wash it was dark. So I sat under the pergola with the light and fan on and got my turnips ready to wash. It was so peaceful sitting in the dark and listening to the waterfall in the koi pond!!!! I need to do that more often!
Now the chore of washing turnip greens not so much fun!! It's going to have to wait until tomorrow. I'm going to blanch them and then put in the freezer. I did pick a bunch this morning and cooked them. I think I'm liking this garden thing!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9142571

You sound just like a farmer, Charlotte!!! My SIL washes her greens in the washing machine. She has done it for years but I don't want that mess in my washer. LOL!!!!

My garden soil is awful, it's mostly sand, I think. My plants are just sitting there, other than my asparagus. I'm gonna put some Miracle Grow potting soil around each plant.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9142585

Don't want that mess in my washing machine either!!! That's the reason I sat outside to get it ready to wash! I knew I would have more than a huge mess in my kitchen!! So I just sat in a chair and pulled off the good leaves and tossed the rest into a big pot to throw in the compost pile. Some didn't actually make it into the pot but no big deal! I'll just sweep it up tomorrow.
Here's some of what I harvested today! I have a lot more radishes. This is the second time I've picked snow peas and I have a lot more on the vine. Tomorrow I'm going to plant Kentucky Wonder beans. The guy next to me is a MG and also has gown vegetables all his life. He told me last week I needed some fertilizer on my tomatoes. I put some on everything in the bed and it really kicked things in!

Thumbnail by cperdue

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9142896

Yum!!!! I've already done that and put lime around the tomatoes. It is totally the soil.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9142960

Our soil was bought in from a farm that sells dirt. I did amend mine also. I used peat humus, perlite and manure.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 29, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9142980

I got a great deal yesterday, the grocery store was clearing out all their bagged stuff for 1.00 a bag. I bought all they had left. I got 39 bags of humus and manure mix !

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 29, 2012

Post #9142999

Wow - that is a great deal Sandra!

Leigh and I worked yesterday afternoon in part of the foundation bed that I am trying to do in front of my house... I added 30 bags of manure and 30 bags of topsoil to one section of the bed yesterday and we got a few plants in the ground and some of the cardboard, paper and mulch down... I pd 1.49 a bag for the manure and 1.24 for the top soil... I really wanted some mushroom compost but they were out here in town. We also made a quick run to Magnolia to go to Pittman's because they had a two for one sale going on. We purchased 2 gardenias for the foundation planting to replace one that had died, and one that was almost dead. Got the new ones planted and mulched in this time so hopefully they will perform better. Also purchased 2 roses, and 2 hydrangeas - one a niko blue? I think, and one was a varigated that I have no idea what the bloom color will be - but I liked the varigated foliage. Wanted some oak leaf hydrangeas but they were completely sold out.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9144661

Genna how did the wedding go??? Haven't seen any pictures!

Just went down to the garden and planted some kentucky wonder beans. I had already started them at home. Just as I got through it started raining!!! Yeah!! Do we need the rain!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 30, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9145432

The wedding went great! I don't have much in the way of photos because Alex didn't want me taking pictures! Don't know how long it will be before we get to see the ones the photographer did! There were many times during Friday that I thought the rehearsal dinner was going to be a complete disaster - and almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong, but by the time the event officially started we had everything lined out and it went great! I thought it turned out beautifully and the food was a big hit. Then my sister had to be hospitalized in Searcy on Saturday morning!! Her potassium had plummeted and she was one huge cramp and was in so much pain they had to call an ambulance for her! She did manage to beg them into letting her leave the hospital about 15 minutes before time for the wedding to start - and she made it to the wedding although she wasn't pleased with her appearance... I made it thru without losing it emotionally - even with her being hospitalized and so I was quite pleased. My nieces from NC came in with their kids and we had such a great time visiting with them and their Mom (my former SIL)... I had not seen the girls in 4 years and Alex and Leigh had not seen one of them for 10 years because they were not with Kyle, Jess and I the last time we went to see them.

I have a few photos on my phone from the rehearsal dinner... guess I will have to post them on FB because I can't get them to load on here currently!

Alex and Natalie should be home tomorrow from their honeymoon trip to Denver... then Natalie starts her part time job at JCrew and Alex will start his preceptorship with Dr Seale. I am still exhausted and I am SO thankful it is behind us. It was beautiful and everything that they wanted so it was worth it.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 30, 2012

Post #9145458

Genna, didn't you get an IPhone? If so you can get a photo transfer app that will send your pictures to a windows pc or another tablet. Charlotte told me about it a while back and it works great, just takes a few minutes. I wish Dave's would get an app that we could use mobile uploads !

I lost my big beautiful clump of Breathless Beauty daylily, it is red. I know I have divided it before, but can't remember who might have gotten some of it, if anyone should have it, I would gladly pay postage to get it back this fall. It is not fancy, but very tall and a good bloomer.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9145471

Glad everything went well Genna! That's too bad about your sister! I had problems with my potassium after my thyroid surgery last spring. It had dropped way below the acceptable level and he gave me a prescription for a super duper dose that I had to take for several days. But I didn't have the really bad cramping like she did so her's must have really dropped low! It can be very dangerous!

Sandra I don't have a red one that you gave me but I do have a really pretty red one that Cindy gave me. I'll have to check the name tomorrow but don't think it's the one you mentioned. I'll take a picture. It has grown to a nice clump so I'll be glad to send you some if you would like to have it.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9145474

Wow, here I am waaaay behind again!

Crissy---so, so sorry about your marital troubles---been there, done that years ago when I divorced my first husband who was the father of my children but who was an alcoholic and, unfortunately, remained an alcoholic all of his life. Hugs to you, sweetie! Hang in there--you can and will get through this!
By the way, Crissy, I would love a start of the Hot Lips and the Jacob Cline monarda and anything else you want to give away, except that I don't need any daylilies or iris--there are plenty of them here already. They badly need to be dug and separated but that will have to wait until fall.

Genna: congrats to the newlyweds and congrats to Jessi!!

Kim: so sorry to hear about all your physical problems. Hugs to you, too.

I noticed today that the moon plant in one of the flowerbeds here at my new home is setting buds. I'm so excited! I also noticed that one of the calla lilies has a bloom! I've never had a calla lily in my garden before. The moon plant and the calla lily were planted by Al. They were both given to him by the wife of a friend of his, which is the only reason that Al knew what the plants were called! LOL

Well, that's all from this part of the beautiful Missouri Ozarks where I live now. It is the middle of nowhere but it is beautiful, although the nearest Wal-Mart Super Center is 40 miles away! LOL We do, amazingly enough, have a nice circle of friends here who attend the Methodist church where we go. It is in the "big city" of Theodosia, MO :D There is also a marina at Theodosia with a restaurant that overlooks the lake. We eat there every Sunday with a group from the church. It is a place "where everyone knows your name". We also play cards every Saturday night with 3 other couples. We play something called "jokers and pegs". It is a really fun game but it takes a lot of concentration. All the people in this community have been very gracious and accepting of me. That really means a lot.

You ladies have a good rest-of-the-week!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9145560

Sandra, the only red dl that I have is called stop sign, but I will be more than happy to share...even if you do find the one you are looking for.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2012

Post #9145608

So glad that everything went well and the happy couple are now celebrating the beginning of their life together, Genna. Congrats!!! Just 2 more times for Kyle & Jessie!!

Sandra you gave me a maroon single daylily. I was admiring the bloom today.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 30, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9145636

I will look online and see if I can buy it again. This is one of the tallest daylilies I had and was straight across the bed from Athlone, they looked so pretty blooming together. I think I bought it from Miss Becky, over at Tinkers, I have not been over there in a while now.
I know Cindy gave away tomato surprise (not registered) and rooten tooten red, because I separated the clumps for her when Terrye and Ruth and I were at her house, so I have all of hers I think.
You are all sweet to offer, I have plenty more red, it was just this one was so pretty in the bed.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9145897

How is Cayla doing today? It has to be getting close to her time!!!

I have a rash all over my body so after my Dr. doesn't have a clue I am off to the dermatologist this AM. Sure hope it is nothing!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9145925

All over your body is strange!!! Hope it's nothing serious! Let us know what your dermatologist says!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 31, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9145975

What is the name of that photo transfer app? I will have to give that a try!

Yes, my sister's potassium was dangerously low!! I knew she was cramping Friday night, but didn't realize how bad it was - went and got her three bananas and made her promise to eat all three - which she did, but I didn't know until the next day that it didn't help! She should have really went to the hospital Friday night!! They gave her two large mega pills in the ER and then a prescription for potassium that she has to take every day. She is feeling better but says her muscles are still sore...all those muscle cramps made her feel like she had been ran over!

Jeri - that is odd. Have you changed medicines? Hope the dermatologist can give you an answer! Here is takes a couple of months just to get in to see the dermatologist!!!

Marilyn, good to see you posting! So happy that everyone is accepting you into the group! Sounds like a lovely community to live in!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9145990

Genna it's called photo Transfer app. I just sent you a link to it. I love it and use it all the time. You don't have to hook your iphone up to the computer. You just turn on the app on your iphone and and select the pictures you want to transfer to your computer and it will give you a address to type in the address bar and when you do it brings the pictures up on your computer.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 31, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9146025

Glad you sent her a link, Charlotte, I had a hard time finding it. I think it was 2.99, but really worth the price.
I have someI paid 4.99 for that I never use !

Cayla said she is feeling pretty good today. That's the first time I have heard that in a long time ! Jeri, I hope that rash is not itchy, I also hope you get rid of it soon !
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 31, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9146032

Think Cayla is getting ready? I always heard you got a burst of energy before you went into labor but I don't really remember that ever happening! :) what day is she due?

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 31, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9146048

Here are a few photos from my yard. The first is Crimson Flood DL, the second is my pink buddleia that has been really outdoing itself this year, and the third is a DL that I have forgotten the name of... looked when I took the picture but sure don't remember it now!

Genna

Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 31, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9146062

Jessi and I tried our first ever attempt at cake balls for Alex's rehearsal dinner. He wanted the red velvet cake balls large - they are almost baseball size... the others are like golf ball size or slightly smaller. The red velvet were a mess to dip because the red kept tinting my white coating pink!! ^_^

Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 31, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9146073

Well, Cayla's due date is June 20th officially. When she first did a test and it showed positive, the doc said no, she had used a bad test. He told her a specific test to use. Another month goes by and she used the test he told her. It showed positive and this time the doc agreed. All the way through, the measurements have showed him to be 3 weeks ahead of what she was "officially" supposed to be. Tues when she went his femur measured 40 weeks, but some of the other readings showed 39. Since she was having trouble withher blood pressure and protein in her urine, last week, he told her if it was still high he might go ahead and deliver her, but her BP was down and there was less protein, so he said he would wait another week.
I told her when the apple got ripe, it would fall of the tree ! He weighed 7.5 pounds Tues when she went.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9146109

Well I'm back and the Dermatologist believes it to be guttate psorisis b/c it came on so suddenly. I also came down with a sinus infection the same day. Talk about feeling bad!!!! The rash at least doesn't itch which is what threw everyone off. The guttate psoriasis occurs in people in their 30's. I'm almost 60. He biopsied a place on my arm and leg and we'll know the results of that in a week. He also gave me a cortisone shot and some cream I have to get filled. I go back in a week.

Genna those cake balls look delish!!!! Love the pictures of the flowers!!!

Sandra I know that Cayla is ready to pick that apple off the tree. Eli is already a nice size!!! He won't be wearing preemie clothes for sure!!!

Hope you got water back Charlotte and it wasn't the nightmare we had here!!!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9146177

Well Genna how weird that your sister had that problem on the day of the wedding. Almost 35 years ago my husbands mother was hospitalized on the morning of our wedding for low potassium - she actually missed the wedding which was at 11:00 am and we stopped by the hospital afterwards to see her. I've always thought she just didn't want her son to marry me:) but maybe I was wrong. Glad your sister got out in tie to be there. Your cake balls look great - those things are addictive!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9146256

Those cake balls do look good! Especially after working outside all morning and not having lunch yet!

Jeri glad they've figured out your problem and that you are not itching!

They did get our water back on and we didn't have any problem with it. It took them three days to get it finished!! Now we have red clay looking dirt all over the street right behind our driveway! I'm going to need to get out with a water hose and try to get it off. Otherwise we're going to be tracking it all over the place.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9146365

Genna, your cake balls look great and I'm sure they were devoured. Looks like y'all had a great weekend. Can't wait to see some pictures. I can't believe Alex didn't want you to make any!! But I think he had you in mind really...he wanted you to enjoy yourself and not be behind the camera all weekend, lol! I saw a recipe for those cake-on-a-stick things, but I ignored it because I knew I'd probably never make them. I guess they are similar to the cake balls.

Jeri, glad you aren't itching and hope they get you figured out!!

Charlotte, I realized I haven't commented in a few days, but your garden work is paying off. Looks delicious. I didn't plant anything this year that needed tending early. I'm almost back in the mood to do early season lettuce or something again. I have had so much to do with weeding other beds and getting those back under control I haven't wanted to do anything else. Maybe when I'm not working I'll have time for that.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 31, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9146748

Jeri, I looked that up and it said sunshine could help it, just don't burn, it also said it itched, I am thankful you are not itching
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 31, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9147041

Elaine - pretty sure the cake on a stick is the same thing... started to put them on sucker sticks, but my sil said she had seen that once and that they didn't all stand up straight and didn't make as pretty a presentation - so I just stuck with the balls. the little paper covers did a lot to dress them up! They tasted good and they were a big hit - along with the coffee. I think we went thru 7 pots of coffee ...maybe 8? I lost count!!

Sandra, sounds like Eli will be arriving any day! I know she is ready and you too!

Jeri - never heard of that. Hope that the meds they put you on resolve it quickly.

Karen, my sister was REALLY sick on Friday night - and I knew she was cramping, but I didn't realize that she was as bad as she was. She is a tough cookie! She can work anyone in the ground, and so she was helping me wash all the dishes before and after the rehearsal dinner. I knew she wasn't feeling well because she didn't eat - but she had gastric bypass years ago and sometimes she just can't eat so I didn't think so much of it. But later that night she called me wanting me to bring her some bananas from the lobby because she was still cramping really bad. They were out in the lobby so Leigh and I went to Walmart to get some. I left three with her along with orders for her to eat all three whether she wanted them or not. Her hands were already pulling from the cramps at that time, but I really thought the bananas would get it. But it didn't! She was one huge cramp - her toes and feet were pulled and deformed looking and her hands wouldn't even open - they were pulled into a huge cramp fist! It was bad...and she already has stints so it is amazing she didn't have problems with the heart as well. I gave her a BIG lecture about how she HAS to monitor it and not let it affect her heart, and how important it was for her to get it before it got so far out of control...then today when I checked on her she said she didn't remember ANYTHING from the hospital except begging to go to the wedding and them making her take those huge pills! :) So, I realized later I will need to give my lecture again so that maybe she will remember it this time!! They had given her valium when I had visited her and she was loopy - doesn't remember any of it! She was crying the whole time I was there and apologizing for messing everything up ... I was so thankful she got to be there. My brothers don't have anything to do with us anymore, and my parents have been gone for a long time now, so she knew I really needed her to be there. She asked me today if she should have just stayed at the hotel because she knew she didn't look good... I told her she looked fine and that I was just thankful she could be there!

Headed to bed... I can not seem to catch up on my rest! I am still exhausted!!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 31, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9147076

Genna your sister needs to have regular blood work! I'm sure you know that. My endocrinologist has also told me that low calcium levels can cause cramping. He always asks me about cramping when I go in to see him. I have lots of blood work because my parathyroid gland or what ever you call it doesn't function right since my surgery. My potassium levels were way below the acceptable level when they gave the those huge pills she had to take. I had been having some cramping in my hands but nothing like what you describe. I still have cramping in my hands from time to time but it will go away in a few minutes. I don't have any other problems just doesn't function properly because of my surgery which was necessary! They keep it regulated with the blood work and adjusting calcium, etc. But with her heart problems it makes it a lot more serious!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9147343

I'm with you, Genna, on the presentation with the cake balls. They are much prettier, especially for a crowd, with the paper. I've mostly seen them on a stick where they are wrapped and with a ribbon tied and very few used. They would be stuck into something to stand up. OK if someone is mass-producing them. For your purposes, you absolutely couldn't do that for so many guests.

We finally started getting some rain this morning! I was about to give up on us getting any but it started before I left for work. Nice and cool too! Yay!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 1, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9147349

Yeah, she has her blood monitored pretty regularly - in fact, she had gone for blood work last week, BUT, she doesn't get the results until she goes back to that doctor which is Tuesday I believe. I think there was 2 weeks between her appts and since it had to be off, I am sure her doctor will say something at Tuesday's visit - but it was off so much that it reared its ugly head long before time for her to get back to the doctor! Low Calcium and even low magnesium can all cause cramping, but potassium is the most likely to be low according to my medical student! He said most people have low levels of potassium and aren't aware of it - it is when it gets really low that major problems start occuring. I was going to try to get her to drink Coconut water - there is a product made by zico that Alex uses all the time after his workouts because it doesn't have all the sugar and stuff that gatorade has but replaces a lot of electrolytes including potassium. He hasn't had any problems with cramping since he started using it - but she didn't like the taste of it. :( I did find some suppliment type things in Sam's on Sunday - actually 2 different brands - and I am going to get some of those to her to see if she likes any of them. You just mix it in a bottle of water and drink one a day. I think she will like that much better. We'll see... She works outside all day sometimes this time of year and she needs something to replace the electrolytes lost. I think her problems are compounded by the gastric bypass because she doesn't drink as much liquid because of it. Can't drink any fluid with meals, etc. She will just have to find something that works for her that she is willing to use!!

It was nice to come outside to some cooler weather this morning! Sure wish it would stick around for a while, but I am sure it is short lived! We got a very small shower on Wednesday and another small one yesterday but neither lasted long enough to really accomplish anything. I sure wish we could get some rain...everything is bone dry!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9147402

My doctor sends me the results of my blood work. I like that - I keep a file. Yes it's most likely potassium that's the problem but in my case my parathyroid gland has problems producing calcium. It has to have lots of help!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9147703

Marilyn sooooo glad to see you posting and that you are having such a good time up there! It is gorgeous, that's for sure.

Genna glad the wedding went well and she was able to attend! Those look delicious! You're lilies look like mine, and I love that bush in the middle pic, do you know what that is? Here is an interesting article with a chart at the bottom, I skimmed it so I didn't read it, but it looks interesting:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09355.html

Sandra it sounds very much like she was probably 2-3 weeks pregnant when she took the first pregnancy test, so if she waited another month she was 6-7 weeks along, that's almost 2 months, the doc could be 6 weeks off and because he didn't believe the first test he may not be taking that time into consideration, it sounds to me that she is due right now, especially showing the weight of the baby is right on the money!

Charlotte that's great that he sends your results to you!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 1, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9147875

Crissy that is a pink butterfly bush. I planted it last year but it has really put on a show this year! Jessica says it is "too big" and needs to be cut back because it dominates the bed - but I say the rest just better catch up! :) No way will I cut it back while it is doing so well. I will have to trim some of the dead blooms back soon though. Hopefully it will keep performing thru the summer!

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9148004

Genna cut it back in the winter, not when it's in bloom, that's the worst time to cut a plant, they can get a little angry lol I do too! I need to take a picture but I have my lilies and hibiscus blooming at the same time, I've never had that before!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 1, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9148264

I will have to disagree, the butterfly needs to be deadheaded to keep it blooming all summer, just cut the dead blooms off and it will make 2 new branches that will bloom. Other things that need to be deadheaded are verbena, roses, dianthus. I have had dianthus blooming since the first,of March, but I had to deadhead to keep it going.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9148420

I've really enjoyed my roses I planted in the long narrow bed on the side of the yard. Sandra I've been keeping them dead headed (actually cutting back to a leaf with 5 points on it) and they have just continually bloomed. I try to keep my butterfly bushes deadheaded also. I cut a bunch of lily stalks late this afternoon. I had some that all the buds have bloomed out. Hate seeing those naked stalks.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 1, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9148462

I need some advice from everyone. I am working on my foundation planting in front of my house, and I have a gardenia to each side of the steps, then continuing down the front of the porch I have azaleas scattered. I have 4 toward the back, and three staggered in between them in front. They are supposed to get to be fairly large azaleas. But I have about 2.5 feet in front of them that I have NO idea what to plant, and then in front of the gardenia I have about 8 ft because the bed bows out away from the house near the steps... does anyone have any suggestions?? My porch area extends out from the main section of the house 10'... around the ends of porch on the 'corner' I have three abelias planted... and then further out from that on the "corner" as the bed swerves around the corner I have a crepe myrtle planted. Along the straight away of the house, I have some small magnolias, with some bright red oleanders behind them, one weeping youpon on each end and also a camellia on each end... but in all this area I have about 2 - 3' of bed space in front that needs something. I don't think I will be able to put the same thing all the way down the house without it looking weird so i have it basically marked into sections. Would it look ok to plant daylilies in that area? I have considered hostas but wasn't sure if they would survive that much sun, and I want a place with caladiums but figured it was too late for those this year. I am thinking of scattering some mums throughout that front area for color in the fall, but I am at a loss as to what else to put in there. I would sure appreciate any suggestions!

We worked on part of the bed on Monday, and I will actually get to work on it some more tomorrow because we aren't going to Alex's!! With two days of work this week, it might actually begin to look like I am making progress!

The plants will get full sun until probably at least 3 in the afternoon... possibly later depending on how far outward they are...but then the house will provide shade for the extremely hot part of the day.

Thanks!!
Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 2, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9149054

I would not put hostas there, I had some in full shade that burned in the high temps last summer and I lost several from that heat too.
I think daylilies belong anywhere a person wants to put them myself, but I am very prodigious in that area !

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9149139

I agree with Sandra. I had hostas in my front yard that I had to take up after we lost a tree in the front. They looked like crispy critters by the end of July! I have a feeling you have a lot more sun than I do I my front.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 2, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9149146

^_^ I agree Sandra! I love the daylilies so much... seriously thinking about putting several in that area although I need some things in there that will be evergreen as well so it won't look totally dead in winter! it would really look stunning if I could have a large mass of daylilies all the same color - but I wouldn't want to limit myself to just one ...don't think I would ever decide that way! :) I thought about some mini nandinas because they have pretty fall and winter color... just not sure where to incorporate them. I am just so bad at visualizing where to put everything!

Anything else that is on the small side that might supply some winter interest??? We have such a limited selection at our nurseries ...feel like I am missing something obvious!

Thanks !!
Genna
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 2, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9149148

Charlotte, we cross posted - and yes i have ALL sun in my front! Not a single tree for 200+ feet... the only shade the front of my house gets is when the sun drops behind it for the day. The one advantage is that my house is high off the ground and that allows it to cast a larger shadow, but I think hostas are out... :(

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9149200

I agree with Sandra . I had some in the front that were old established hostas and I had to take them all up after we lost a tree in the front. They looked like crispy critters by the end of July. Hostas need lots of water. My ext door neighbor lost a lot of really nice hostas last year. They were I the shade. But he just didn't keep enough water on them.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 2, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9149225

I still have not put my fern leaf nandina out, I was waiting on a daylily to bloom and see what it was, I am planning on moving the daylily clump and putting the nandina there.
None of us had ever seen this type of nandina. We bought them at the Morris Nursery in Jackson, TN. I put it in a bigger pot and I am keeping it in the shade and watering it good.

http://www.botanybuddy.com/plant-library/nandina-domestica-filamentosa-fernleaf-heavenly-bamboo.html
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 2, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9149791

Interesting ...never heard of that! But the word bamboo and the word invasive together is enough to make me not want to try it! :)

Sandra, how close together do you plant your daylilies? they look really close together in the beds - and I was just curious. The ones I have planted recently I have put closer together than i started out doing so maybe they will fill in

How is Cayla feeling?

Jeri, hope your rash is better!! What about Ashley? Did they ever find anything and is she still getting sick every week??

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9149801

With that much sun you're really going to need to mulch your azaleas really thick! The best thing to mulch them with is pine needles. It holds the moisture and they also like the acidity. I've been growing azaleas for 45 years and have gotten pretty good at it! LOL If you see the leaves start to wilt you've got to get water on them right away otherwise you will lose them. Kept telling my next door neighbor that last year and he lost almost all his big established azaleas. The best way to get enough water on them is to run a soaker hose through the bed (cover it with mulch) and let it run for a long time. That's how I kept mine watered before I got an irrigation system.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 3, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9150100

I start them out 3 feet apart, the kitchen window bed has thrived this year because I have been watering my tomatoes that are in it. If you are going to try to keep the names on it, you need some kind of system, then map it on paper too. I have whittled mine down to maybe a dozen that I like that do not have names, but I have lost so many tag in areas before I got smart enough to map them out on paper. When you put 2 fans out and leave 3 feet for the next 2 fans, they look scrawny, but when they multiply to 5 or 6 fans each, they start looking crowded, like the kitchen window bed does now. There are a few in there I have promised Phyllis when they quit blooming, and a few others that need dividing, I am not going to promise any more right now with Eli on the way, I just probably won't have enough time to get them ready to ship after he gets here, but if I do have time, I will remember you Genna, and help you out !
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 3, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9150163

Yeah these azaleas look sparse too right now, but if they get as large as the lady says they will be filled in nicely in a few years... IF I can keep them alive as Charlotte says! I do have them mulched pretty heavy, but I just have regular mulch as I don't have anywhere to buy the bales of pine straw mulch like Cindy gets...and no time to go try to clean out enough from the woods. As hot as it is, they had to have mulch, so cypress mulch it is for now at least. As it breaks down, I hope to come up with a method to cover it all to pinestraw.

Thanks Sandra. I know you don't have time to be digging with a new baby and another on the way... you need to be spending time rocking! We were all fighting over who got to hold my precious little great niece at the wedding... she is 6 months old and a doll!! :) We are all baby deprived since we don't get to see them! Her sister is 3 and is just precious... then my great nephews are 4 and 5! When we went out to eat, Kyle and Jessi and I sat at the table with the boys and Sloane (3)... we had a blast! All the "adults" ate at another table because the restuarant didn't have a place to seat us all so they put us in booths back to back...

I way overslept this morning! The dogs usually wake me up by 8 at the latest and I didn't wake up until almost 10... couldn't believe it! Leigh and Jessi were still asleep too. Guess maybe now we are finally rested up! But got up so late we couldn't make church :(

Hope everyone has a great day. My sister has invited me to lunch and then I hope to work some more in my beds. I hope the wind is calm today so I can get some much needed roundup sprayed in places in my bed and also on my fence row that is being taken over by orange trumpet vine?? - not sure if that is what it is called... it is beautiful in bloom right now, but it is wanting to take over!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9150169

Genna you don't have to put the pine straw over the entire bed. You can just put a BUNCH around the base of each azalea. Just need to keep the root area around the azaleas moist especially since they are new plants. Once they get established they will not need as much water but right now moisture is critical,
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 3, 2012

Post #9150176

That's a good idea too Charlotte! Hadn't thought about that, but once I get the bed done, maybe I can go rake up enough to at least put pine mulch right around the azaleas ...then i could just cover it back up with the cypress and it wouldn't be so noticeable. I would have preferred to do the whole bed in pine because from looking at my friends bed and how the pine mulch just layers together - it sure keeps grass and weeds out better!

The wild thing is that my sister used to have a yard full of huge pine trees and she would burn massive amounts of pine straw every year...NOW she and I both have big flower beds but right before we put them in they cut the pine trees down!!! how ironic is that??

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9150181

That's what I do in areas I want to dress up. I put pine that may have a lot of leaves and other stuff mixed in and then cover it with a light layer of mulch. Makes the mulch go further too.

I had a friend that had dug up two full grown hydrangeas last year that she was going to just toss. Rather than see that happen I planted them in my yard but had to put them in a space that really doesn't get water from the irrigation system. I thought I was going to lose them - I just couldn't keep enough water on them. I finally just took a whole bunch of pine needles and piled all around the plant roots - mounded it up high. Now they are doing just fine. I can water them when I think about it and the pine needles really retain the moisture. They also pack down quickly so it might look funny at first but within a week or so they will pack down.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 3, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9150204

I love hydrangeas... I would hate to think about someone tossing big ones!! Mine seem to be living but growing at a snails pace!!! Not sure what to give them to make them thrive but they just seem to be sitting there... and not big enough to bloom...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9150243

I bet moisture also has something to do with yours. Hydrangeas require lots of water. They may just be struggling to stay alive and can't get established good. I gave two small pieces that had self rooted to my neighbor across the street last year. She planted both of them together in her front bed. This year they are blooming like crazy and are beautiful! Turned out one was blue and one was pink and the combination together is really pretty.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 3, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9150352

We are all sad pathetic people, I had company yesterday, a friend who loves flowers also, I had been cleaning out a small area to plant something in and had pulled out some pieces of verbena and that little sedum I think it is Tiny Toes, well I put them in the wagon I sit on as I just hate to throw away plants, there is a local FB group someone signed me up on and I have been giving away extras on it. Just so happened, she did not have any of that and I gave it to her. I have doodles of that sedum, but it is just too hard for me to throw away plants, I always think someone else might want them.
She brought me some ivy that has some yellow in it, the leaves are a little bigger than the variegated one I have, would anyone know if it has a name? Raining here today, I will get a picture when it quits.

Genna, our Lowes usually sells pine straw, they may not have any right now, but they always have it in the fall. You could get a couple of bales for your shrubs

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9150372

Genna I'm sure you know not to cut the old hydrangea stalks off. They flower from those old what look to be dead stalks.

Sandra you are so right! Don't know why but I just have a hard time bringing myself to throw them away.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9150587

I've started a new thread for June here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262912/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America