Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Keyhole Gardens: A Drought Tolerant Composting Garden: I want one

Communities > Forums > Article: Keyhole Gardens: A Drought Tolerant Composting Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Keyhole Gardens: A Drought Tolerant Composting GardenReplies: 8, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9108252

I'm definitely putting this project on my list. I've been eyeing something similar for awhile but this is simpler than what I've seen done with keyhole gardens. I like it a lot. Thank you! ^_^

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9108263

You're very welcome Carole! Post a pic if you get one made!!

Thank you for reading and commenting,
--
Bev

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9108888

You notice they doing this in the D/FW area, right? They're getting it ready for me. (I wish.) But it's nice to think they have put together the concepts of water conservation and water management beyond city planning. Because on the ground in TX, everyone is explaining you need to water your foundation to prevent it from cracking! (Hello, that's part of why you have a DROUGHT!)

Anyway, at least some people in Texas are doing some interesting things, right?

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9108938

Carrie, You're our "man on the street reporting live . . " from TX, hehe. The first article I read on Keyhole Gardens was the one from TX. I was hooked from there on! Good luck at your new home!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9108978

Hehehe. Thanks, Bev. I was very encouraged to read the (early) link I saw in this article about keyhole gardens and classes in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Whether I actually go so far as to build one in my (rented) back yard or not, it certainly is a whole 'nother way of thinking about water problems!Thanks for this informative article.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9109001

You're welcome Carrie, and thanks for reading and commenting!
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9113845

Carrie, where have you moved to in the DFW area? My family is in the Plano area.

The gray water use makes SO much sense, and yet most municipalities officially do not endorse or do not allow it. Just letting the water get to the right temp for a shower wastes so much clean water.

Do you have any photographs of this Keyhole garden system in use?

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9113877

quiltygirl,
I wish we could have installed gray water collection plumbing when we renovated this house almost 20 years ago, but I didn't know about it's potential use at the time.

You can view a few finished Keyhole Gardens if you follow the article links (and videos) that show how they're made in Africa and one in TX.

Thanks for reading and posting,
--
Bev

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9114531

quilty, Bev has links to Texas area keyhole gardens in her article.

We're renting a cute little house about 4 min from terminal B. (Actually I forget which terminal it is, but it's the terminal with the the dinky airlines in it.) My husband is sleeping there tonight and the moving truck is coming at the end of May. I think I will be growing some shower-water grown tomatoes, if the tomato gods are good to me. ^_^

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Keyhole Gardens: A Drought Tolerant Composting Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brilliant concept MargaretK 1 May 3, 2012 5:57 AM
Great concept steadycam3 5 May 8, 2012 4:14 PM
This is something I will share! Tallulah_B 1 May 4, 2012 4:31 AM
Love it! tinytwist 1 May 9, 2012 5:50 PM
wonderful, mind altering idea stellamarina 1 Jun 28, 2012 5:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America