-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9108317

I finally bit the bullet and ordered my All American 921 Canner and it arrived yesterday!! I've been wanting one for quite a while, and finally saved up enough Discovercard points to get it almost free. After reading the manual, and trying to digest everything, I decided to put it to a test. I put about 4" of water in it, and set it to boiling. I used only the 5 pound weight just so I could see how the jiggle goes. After the weight started jiggling, I reduced the heat to see if I could get to the "4 jiggles to a minute" level.

Here's my question. I though a jiggle would be one jiggle, but mine jiggled for about 5 seconds, and I was getting only 2 per minute. So I upped the heat, but the jiggles got longer - about 10 seconds, but it was doing this about 4 times a minute. Is this correct, that a jiggle is not just once, but a series of quick bursts?

I tried it yesterday on my kitchen stove, but plan on getting a propane burner to use on the patio. This is to keep the heat and humidity out of the house during the summer months. In New Orleans, the last thing we need is more heat & humidity! I know a few of you use these propane burners. Any tricks to their use?

Thanks so very, very much for any help.

Jo-Ann

PS: Isn't jiggle a funny word when you have to use it a couple of times in the same sentence!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9109448

I just took a workshop on canning and the instructor used an All American. Hers had both the pressure gauge and the weight. She put the jars in the canner and brought it to boiling. She didn't put the weight on it. Then she let it spew air for 10 minutes (it is a 19 pint canner I believe). Then she put the weight on and when it started to spew, she started the timing. It hardly rocked at all. She was using the 10# weight.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9111744

My 30 year-old All-American has only a dial gauge, not weights... so I'm no help.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9114041

My canner has a weight and I regulate the heat so it jiggles at a fairly regular slowish pace which does occasionally have a bit of a spurt to it. I would term the rhythm as rock-rock-rock-rock-spurt. I had more difficulty regulating the heat on an electric range than my current gas range.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9114554

bonehead, that's about the rhythm the weight made during my test run. I'm glad to know that this is the correct way to judge a jiggle!
Jo-Ann

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 59 Nov 2, 2012 9:35 AM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America