Landscaping ideas for zone Aa, full sun

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Hello all,
I was looking for ideas on my front yard. I have a corner area near the street that is in full sun and I want to make it look beautiful and full. The thing is, I'm having a hard time finding plants, flowers etc. due to the all the sun I get in the front and because it gets so hot here. I do have some geraniums out there now, but I want to add to it. Any suggestions or ideas to help?! Thank you in advance :)

This message was edited May 3, 2012 9:29 AM

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

Posting in Garden Design would have gotten you more views.
I own a Design/Build firm 20 miles up US 19 from you. I'm very familiar with your conditions. First you want to work good quality compost into your planting beds. This has numerous benefits- improves that sand, enables the sand to retain more moisture, provides nutrients the plants won't get from a synthetic fertilizer, and helps the beneficial microscopic organisms critical for your plants to thrive.
You stated flowers- not shrubs- and I haven't seen your site, so I'm listing blooming plants of no particular height/width/color. All of the following plants do well in your area:
Lantana (Gold Mound, Dallas Red, Sunny SIde Up, others) Trailing Lantana, Penta, Mexican Heather, Salvia leucantha 'Santa Barbara', Vinca, Plumbago, Bush Daisy, Daylily, Beach Sunflower, Firebush, Gerbera Daisy, Verbena, Gaillardia, Blue Daze, African Iris, Dianthus, Angelonia, Ascepias tuberosa, Agapanthus, Torenia, Stoke's Aster, Scutellaria, Porterweed, Firecracker Plant, many other Salvias, Rudbeckia, Mexican Petunia 'Purple Showers' ... this is far from an exhaustive list. Need a short list of the most dependable? Lantana, Salvias, Porterweed. Additional feature is they will all attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
All plants need supportive care during the establishment phase (even "drought tolerant" ones). Care given during establishment determines plant performance later on. Water your new plant every day for at least 6 weeks, then back off to every other day. Plan on supportive care the first year in the ground. Happy Gardening!

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

I thank you very much for all the information you provided and for your time! You said you have a design/build firm 20 miles up the Rd on 19...what is the name of it?

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

The Landscape Gardener :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images