AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9108668

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252200/

A friend and I, both clematis lovers, were writing recently about some people who want success without effort. They either ignore the needs of the clematises or prefer to do things their way and most often they're met with unhappy clematises that could be stunning if they gave the soil and planting conditions more of a priority.

When I was new to clematises, 20 years ago, a neighbor told me not to waste my time because "they don't grow here". Her failures came via Michigan Bulb Company so we were not surprised at her comment. She was a doctor so I appreciated her knowledge of the medical field but when it came to gardening she was woefully lacking.

Success comes with effort and learning. The first clematises I planted have all survived and I credit the compost. If you don't have your own compost piles you can buy it or buy composted manure, which is as close as you can probably get. Don't skimp! Be generous and improve your chances of bountiful blossoms.

Here's Pink Champagne with montana Grandiflora:

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 3, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9108747

I think success always starts with the soil. I am 72 but still manage to haul in compost by the truck load. I stir in compost with every thing I plant. I also believe in planting into a large hole which is filled with well amended soil.

This is a clem that almost disappeared before I started mulching with compost and putting a stone near its roots

Thumbnail by timeinabottle

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9108792

Success does begin with the soil. Speak to any rose grower and see how they play nursemaid, lovingly, to every request the rose has and they reap the benefits. Plant the same roses in "dirt" with no amendments and the roses will not be as healthy nor will they give the blooms that the right treatment would.

I'm almost 71, John, and some days feel a lot longer than they did even a few years ago but I'd rather tend the plants I have than go out buying dozens more and neglecting what I have.

Your clematis is lovely and I'm so glad it's thriving now. Some can be brought back from almost nothing while others aren't so fortunate.

I just dug up Franziska Maria and have little hope it will respond to all my attention but I'm babying it as though it were my one and only. We'll see what a few months can do for it. The area where it was became overrun with digitalis and it was totally hidden. I've never had a bloom from it.

Thumbnail by pirl

Inthegarden
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9108990

Hi pirl,

I have 'midnight showers' and Dr. Ruppel that was purchased thru a co-op and they both have died down; I've check on the roots and they look OK. I'm babying them just like you. Wow, 20 years, growing clematis! I'm just starting...
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9109013

Well, it's official. I'm clematis-crazy.

I had a doctor's appointment today, and my travels took me out near a produce market I like to frequent. They had their May plant tent sale out in the parking lot. I went to look, but not expecting anything (other than perhaps an herb I might like) because it's mostly impatients, geraniums and begonias and the like, and I'm not much for annuals except for a couple pots which I'm not ready for yet. I was ALMOST out of there when I turned the very farthest corner and saw them. Dozens and dozens of clematis. All sorts. Thankfully I couldn't see a price anywhere, so I only selected one, but had I known the price, I probably would have bought two. Anyway, I got a vitricella venosa violacea, which I think will look nice with my Omoshiro. But I definitely will need a larger trellis for the two of them now.

The two plants I ordered from Silver Star arrived today (John Huxtable and Ville de Lyon). All three are now repotted according to pirl's directions!

The two from Silver Star arrived already hard pruned, but the V3 had top growth on a small trellis. When I got it all unwound, it was probably 3 or 4 feet long! I selected this plant because it has a new growth just starting, so I decided to leave the long one (it has several buds already) and pinch back the new growth then it gets started.

DH caught me just finishing up with them and didn't say a word, although I felt a bit guilty about getting more plants! The feeling didn't last long...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9109108

Inthegarden - when did you receive the co-op plants? This year? How big were they when you got them? I've bought many from co-ops and most are dead - one is alive. I hope yours survive.

Katherine - leave the guilt behind you. If they make you smile then you deserve them. I love the way you found them! Just out of curiosity, how many clematises did you have as of 1/1/2012? How many do you have now?

Over about 18 months I added 25 or 26 here and I never regret buying any of them.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9109199

Koshki, Hi and welcome to group! I do not think you are showing any signs of being at all crazy! A sure sign of mental stability is that you ordered all wonderful plants! I absolutely guarantee your mental health will be greatly enhanced because, all the clems. you establish this season will be in pretty good or even fine bloom next year, so you see the worries you have lifted off your shoulders! Now sally forth and prepare sites where you think clems would look great, prepare theses sites and plant them with more clems! There now don't you feel better already? I used to be crazy before I found Clematis...and you should see me now! Lee

Inthegarden, I too am concerned with purchasing from co-ops. It hasn't worked well for me either,but, a few is not so bad to handle! I have grown a few co op and discount house plants to a size where they could do well in the garden. Maybe you can find out how to best do this were you live, I don't think I can offer good advice because we have very cold winters here in upstate New York causing dormancy. So my growing on issues are a lot different then warm winter gardens. Best of luck and have fun with your plants! Lee
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9109251

Thanks everyone...I have received quite a warm welcome from the clematis group, more so than any other forum here. I'm thinking I need to post in the "long threads" to introduce myself in those other groups.

I did post in the "intro" forum, but I don't think many people actually look at it. So here's my short intro: a 2005 illness took me out of boating and put me in a wheelchair. Then, missing being outdoors all summer, I gradually got into gardening, starting with single tomato plant. When we bought a wheelchair accessible home in 2009, I got into orchids, my first plant addiction. I also started gardening in earnest, as we were able to create raised beds and berms, and had a place for lots of containers.

I first discovered that we owned a clematis (I suspect it's a Gypsy Queen) in 2010 after we unchoked it from my neighbor's invading ivy, and I fell in love. I planted a Ruutel that fall in a small area near it. I the spring we planted Firefly, Allanah, and Kasugai, and late in the season I bought a Sappire Indigo on sale.

Since 1/1/2012 I have purchased: Omoshiro; jackmanii 'Superba'; Bijou; John Huxtable; Ville de Lyon; and vitrecella venosa violacea. Right at the top of my list is Princess Diana, but I have to find a very special place for it. I'm thinking of putting one to grow amongst my English roses (my little joke), but I have to make sure the colors will work together first.

Now, I recognize this illness because I've seen before it with orchids. In 2005 I had 2, and now I have over 250. But they are, for the most part, small and I can grow them indoors under lights. Clems are much bigger and they need specific places in the garden to thrive. And supports.

So that is my story, and I'm sticking to it. I have a lot of stress in my life that is somewhat intractable, so gardening and orchiding helps me find some breathing room.

Thanks you all for being to welcoming.

Katherine

This message was edited May 3, 2012 7:20 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9109288

You are funny, Lee! Upstate NY and Texas are two different gardening worlds.

Katherine - so sorry to hear of your illness but it's amazing how one tomato plant can transform a person into a gardener. My husband also started his gardening life with tomato seeds under lights in the basement. Watching plants grow makes us all feel so accomplished while it's Mother Nature doing the actual work. We're just there to help by giving the plants the best environment possible - just like you give your orchids.

It's our pleasure to have you with us, Katherine, and hope you'll remain a clematis enthusiast.

When this one comes to America I want it!

Thumbnail by pirl

koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9109291

Oh, that is charming! What is it called?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9109307

There is something about the bell shaped clematis. I love them!
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9109322

Koshki...I was so taken by your story...I am sorry you have to be wheelchair bound. I find that gardening and watching a beautiful flower come to life is so satisfying. Plus the fact that you can keep your mind busy reading, and researching all the new plants.

I am 65, and I used to do alot of horse showing (quarter horses). Now, I still have the 5 horses and they retired right along with me. I still ride occasionally, but it is just around our pastures.

I am a big outdoor person, and keep active in my garden which I just started actually a year ago. I love daylilies, just really got into clematis and roses. As for the roses, I have only 3 and ordered 3 more that have to be diesease resistant, or the go dead on me...

About 3/4 years ago, I planted my first clem...jackmanii. I just dug a small hole, and plopped it in, not knowing anything else...Of course, it didn't come up the next year! So, about 2 years ago, I planted Nelly Moser...but this time, I dug a bigger hole and amended it with compost and black dirt...she took off...and guess what? So did the Jackmanii... Now this year, after being on Daves Garden...I read and ask all sorts of questions, I added my horse's manure compost and scratched it in, and both are doing really well...Last year I planted Princess Diana, and being much smarter (thanks to this site), she was amazing her first year...now this year, she got some manure compost...and wow! She took off.

Pirl is amazing in her knowledge, and enjoy reading her experiences and now yours...Keep us posted on how your clems do...

This message was edited May 3, 2012 8:10 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9109368

That's a Japanese clematis, Haizawa. I've been told it will never come to America but I can dream, can't I?

Carolyn - the bells do have such charm. I love all clematises and feel like Annie from Oklahoma - "I'm Just a Gal Who Cain't Say No, I'm in a terrible fix...".

sm - you have gold on your hands with the horses! I've also planted clematises in shallow holes and had them grow anyhow but I credit the compost for their survival. While walking around the gardens yesterday I did see growth this year on Ilka.. Last year there was nothing so I was sure I had lost it but never removed the stone marker. I've learned if I remove the stone the clem will always come back and I may not remember the name of it. Mrs. Yuki is either dead or playing games. How annoying!

I enjoyed your phrase, "I'm a big outdoor person". When I'm stuck inside due to the weather I feel as though I'm imprisoned and find myself looking out windows just to reassure myself that eventually I will be outside again.

Though I do have Princess Diana, I also have Duchess of Albany. Both have pink nodding flowers but DoA grows better and is a much more generous bloomer than Princess Diana. They're only about 25' apart and get the same sunshine so it must be either the plant or something I haven't figured out yet.

1. Ilka
2. Princess Diana
3. Duchess of Albany

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #9109639

A great new thread! Pirl, found some Epsom Salts at a dollar store yesterday, how much do you add per clem? Dry or diluted with water? I should have written it down, promise I will this time. ;-)

Also, anyone have any idea what is one may be? Saw it at a local nursery, no tag, loved the color! I thought at first H.F. Young but it doesn't look quite right.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
1:38 AM

Post #9109679

Looks like Crystal Fountain but I am no expert.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9109852

Epsom Salt - one TBSP to a gallon of tepid water. If you're having a lazy day just sprinkle the ES, water it in and cover it with mulch.

Wish I did know the name of that wonderful clematis but I don't. I have Crystal Fountain (pictured here) but don't think that's a match. Your third photo makes me feel it is larger than the typical group 2. Did it look that way to you?

Thumbnail by pirl

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9109917

I wondered if it was Clematis Blue River.

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=3653
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 4, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9109929

Koshki :

It looks like you have been bitten by the bug. I never dreamed that I would have 40 plus clems, but here I am thanks to Pirl and the rest of the group.
It looks to me like you haven't let your accident beat you.

John
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9110031

Thanks, all. I really do think that if I hadn't discovered orchids and gardening I would be a raging B*** (rhymes with witch). I have had some recovery that has made a significant improvement in my quality of life over where I was initially, but barring some major medical breakthrough, this is probably it for me. Thankfully we have been able to arrange things to accommodate me to a fairly significant degree.

Now what I need is to see how you folks are working those clems into your landscape to get more ideas. Don't get me wrong, I love the close-ups of the flowers, but I'd really love to see photos of your gardens in general and how you get so many clems in them!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9110135

Yes pirl, it's quite a large bloom so I think that leaves Blue river out.

Here's my Crystal Fountain, it's quite the cool bloom!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9110266

We'll be hoping for that medical breakthrough for you, Katherine.

Just returned from a shopping spree so I'll post photos tonight and hope others will do so as well. I'd love to see photos of clem's in shrubs, close-up and wide angle or long distance shots.

Sue - it is a beauty! That center seems so prominent compared to so many others. Mine should be in bloom soon.

Saw many clematises today but there were many with this label. I found it amusing. Who would pay $29.99 for "Any variety" where the cultivar name should be?

Thumbnail by pirl

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 4, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9110317

Katherine
This picture is of a Berm which is about 80 feet long and up to 15 feet wide. It has an alternation of a clematis then a shrub clematis shrub etc.

The idea is to split this part of my garden into 2 parts so that as people walk along the path they will turn the corner and get a new view.

The make up of plants along the crest are Cletera, Yugomichusi(sp) , Mock Orange , A viticelli , Rose Citrus Splash ( which is too small for the plan and will have to be replaced), Clem Jackmani, Clem Guernsy Cream, a David Austin Shrub rose, Clem Niobe, Viburnum carlesi,Clem Nelly ? ( a senior moment)

I hope this helps.

John

Thumbnail by timeinabottle

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9110326

That's such a lovely view, John, and such good choices in plants. I'll bet the senior moment one is Nelly Moser.

Which David Austin shrub rose? I've only had good luck with Graham Thomas.
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9110338

Here is one of my gardens...see Nelly Moser climbing? Right next to her is Jackmanii...

Thumbnail by sm4657

sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9110341

Oh, and here is my garden in the back of the yard...My new Duchess of Albany will her climbing on this fence...Princess Diana is already there...

And my horses is the background...they are the compost machines!

Thumbnail by sm4657

sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9110345

Opps...forgot...here is my bird feeder...my new little Mr. President is in there with the daylilies...

Thumbnail by sm4657

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 4, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9110354

Yep Nelly Moser it is. As to the David Austin...I don"t remember which one.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9110460

What lovely pictures! John, are your clematis growing in the shrubs, or do some have separate supports as well? I used to have a nice full Nelly Moser years ago. All the beautiful photos here made me nostalgic, and I finally ordered one for myself. It came yesterday... Now I'll have to find the right spot for her!

Pam

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9110551

Calif-sue.That is a really cool bloom. My CFountain is young.The centers arent as large as your blooms have.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9110575

Nelly Moser enjoys some shade and does very well here with just morning and late afternoon sun. It's known to fade in full sun.
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9110606

John and SM, thanks for sharing! Two very different approaches, but two lovely results!
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 4, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9110667

Pam ,
Those clems are on trellises. Most of the trellises come from Big Lots. They have often had them for About
$ 15. Nelly Moser may be my best grower. Its one of my originals from Lowes

John
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9110671

I counted this evening, and I came up with 30 Clems I have. But I need more variety. I have found that most are of the same one or look near like it. I do have the ones that bloom in the mid to late summer that are bell shaped. My Advante Garde is coming up nice in the pot. I sure have hopes for her.

This message was edited May 4, 2012 6:47 PM
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 4, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9110698

Marie
You go for it lady...buy a bunch

John
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9110754

I was at our big box store here, and Menards had several
Guernsey Cream clems for $7.50...they looked pretty good...I bit my lip and passed, but I think now I'll go back.

Have the Guernsey Cream clem done will for you all?

Also, they were pretty bushy...when you plant a bushy clematis, do you cut it back before you plant...or do you plant it like you would a plant that has only a handful of leaves?

See...I have tons of questions here...:o

I do have Nelly, and she is a great producer as is Princess Diana...what varieties have done well for you ? I am in Zone 5 and so far, I have had good luck...
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9111169

Hi Everyone, I mentioned that I bought a 'Pillu' Yesterday evening I was walking around the garden and realized that Piilu has a pleasant,musky,kinda sweet and prominent smell. I think it is the strongest clematis
scent I know of. I will sure spend more time sniffing clems.! What Clematis do you find with a scent? Lee
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 5, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9111217

Guernsey Cream has done very well for me , Claire de Lune, Jackmani, and of course HF young
John

LeeI have found no scented Clematis except of course Sweet Autumn which is extraordinarily invasive here. It has taken over a vacated trailer park in 3 years or so. I walk dogs for the humane society which is next to the trailer park and notice that the sacs or all over place. I am going to take a look at Piilu .

John
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9111266

Clematis armandii has an amazing scent, it's addictive. When it's blooming, I sniff it everyday, LOL. I even drag my DH and DS to smell it, they think I'm crazy, but they also agree that it smells wonderful. Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9111267

sm - Hopefully this will be my first blooming year with Guernsey Cream. I love the cream color.

The most devout gardeners I've heard about do not allow any perennial to bloom for two full years to increase the strength of the roots. I am not part of that group. I wouldn't have the heart to cut back a new lush clematis but you can cut back what I refer to a wimpy plant, which may not bloom anyhow.

It's hard to compare clematises to see what's done best for each of us. A lot depends on the planting, the sunshine and the original health of the plant. Root competition can be deadly. Some appear wonderful at first but don't seem to make good progress regardless of how we dote on them.

Omoshiro is my favorite though not the greatest producer of blooms, most likely due to the location, but many are excellent producers and go on and on with blossoms for weeks. Jackmanii produces thousands of flowers each year. This is Ernest Markham and it usually blooms a very long time and crosses over atop the nearby azaleas. Last year I added Patricia Ann Fretwell to the left of Ernest as a color echo and hope to see them bloom together eventually. Photo credits for the collage: Victorgardener for Patricia Ann Fretwell and Brushwood for Ernest Markham.

Lee - I've never noticed a scent to Piilu but will try to take notice this year. Thanks for the tip.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9111702

Koshki, this is how my Gipsy Queen looks like from 20 feet. I have planted some Veronicas, Blue daze and some hot pink zinnias around it. Next to it my white Ladybanks rose, which is blooming in early spring. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9111820

Oh boy, all these pictures are giving me ideas! :)

GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9112507

Kiseta, I think it is wonderful that you have the white Lady Banks rose! Please send a picture if she blooms this year. Being up north,I can't grow the banks roses but the few yellow ones I have seen while visiting in California I fell in love with!

John, I gathered from this group that S.A.C. was invasive as all get out! I only have the one and prune it to 2 foot as soon as the great majority of flowers is passed. So far they are not seen out of gardens around here. Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9112665

Greenesideup, I found it in Lowe's one year and I have been looking for a second one, but they are all yellow. They are done blooming, they are early like April. You can probobly grow them in a pot and bring them in in the Winter. I have seen that with camelias in Philadelphia, Ladybanks get very large if you don't trimm them. Here is my early picture. What is that white vine on your fence in the back of the picture??? Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9112701

Thats very pretty.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9113072

Kiseta- Thanks for the hint on the Banks Roses but, I don't have a place to keep them over winter. My wife and I are in South Carolina for 2 or 3 months and I know I won't find anyone who could care for the over winter.Some kind lady in Savannah, told me they bloom best on two year old wood? What have you found out about keeping them blooming well?
The white vine on my fence is Sweet Autumn Clematis. Here are more pictures of the plant. Have a wonderful late spring! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9113282

Ok...I got lost for a bit...weeding and such. Got some answers to question...
HopeSue...the white fuzzy plant is perennial gypsophilla paniculata, Baby's Breath. Blooms for me in z5, June-Julyish. I love it as bouquet filler (48"), later when it's done I use Limonium latifolium...perennial statice (36-48").
Marie-kap...sorry I didnn'tget back to you with these suggestions til now...ooops. Got some ideas for inbetweens on your roses and or daylillies. Some are perenns and some annuals that canbe direct seeded (annuals), mine are going in this week, so it's not too late. Campanula glomerata, persicifolia, and or C.p. Labelle (check this one out, very pretty. Gypsophilla Covent Gardens (A), annual poppies rhoeas Angles Choir Mix,book say 24-30" but I remember more like 18+". Nicotiana sandersae Heaven Scent, Very eve. fragrant, (I have seed). Lathus Knee High (sweet peas). Salvia horminum Claryssa mix. Cosmos b. Cosimo Collarette 24". Monarda h. Beramo 28". Nigella.
Now if you would like to see pix and read some info go to tmseeds.com (Thompsen and Morgan Seeds), great company and have ordered from them for years. Many you could get locally also at your nursery. Annuals do a great job of filling in until perenns get bigger making thegarden look full sooner, and seeds are cheap. Also think walmart has the gypsophila Covent Garden. Home Depot has the sweetpeas in a large pk for $3 ish.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9113502

Those are beauties
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9113632

Thanks for the ideas, but what is that purple and white flower that looks like a daisy?

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9113967

Marie, that looks like one of the new double osteospermums, '3D Sliver'. They come in a pink and purple too.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9114126

Great photo and plant, Sue.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 7, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9114213

Sue I have had no success with Osteospernums.. beautiful pictures any suggestions?

John

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9114286

I don't know John, I do nothing special. Some I pot up like I have this new '3D Pink' (below) in a pot but most of mine go into the ground. I have clay amended with some compost but many I see around town are in poor soil, so maybe they don't like anything too rich.
I often take cuttings too and they root pretty easy for me. I bright pieces of this one from my other garden when I moved, it's a favorite.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/245771/

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9114298

Marie...it is Senetti "Light Blue Bicolor". Sorry, I didn't mean to post it twice. first pix is a Senetti and an annual Osteospurmum, And 5 is from my garden a few days ago, dwarf iris and JJs.
I actually grow two of the osteos. b.c. Lavender Mist and Purple Mountain (pix below). Z5-6, gosh thought they went to z8. Will be collecting seeds this year. from the annuals also.
Clems here are greening up nicely, found 3 the d*** had pruned for me, (darn things anyhow). Atleast they have time to grow before blooming, just got two new branches where the chomps are. Personally I'd rather do my own pruning!!
Found that I had lost Princess Dianna over the winter (will leave it alone as cross my fingers). All the other new ones planted last fall made it.
Speaking of vines, anyone else have Hydrangea anomala petiolaris (climbing hydrangea)? Please any info would be appreciated, just got 2 from Home Depot, have seen them from afar and loved, vowing to grow them for myself. Help is welcomed.
Sue thanks for the heads up on taking cuttings, how long and probably not from a flowering stem? More info please, lol. thanks.

This message was edited May 7, 2012 1:37 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9114495

Wishing Annette the happiest of birthdays and armloads of clematis blooms!

Happy birthday from pirl and Omoshiro.

Thumbnail by pirl

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9114510

Happy Birthday cem91

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9114514

Kathy - climbing hydrangeas: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1214238/#top

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 7, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9114533

My Omoshiro opened today...also a second one which may or may not be Miss Bateman...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG   Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9114661

Great Omoshiro, Marilyn, and a lovely (maybe) Miss Bateman. Those green stripes are like icing on Annette's birthday cake!

It would be so helpful if descriptions of clem's included a sure fire way to identify them.

Today I planted Elsa Spaeth (light lavender/blue) on the big white trellis in the rose garden. I hope she loves to climb because Niobe will never hit 8' here and my year old Walmart Blue Moon/Claire de Lune (I think) is blooming but she's only about a foot tall, if that.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9114764

Beautiful, Marilyn!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9114783

Happy birthday to you Annette, wishing you a great day in the garden. Kathy, my Climbing hydrangea has been blooming off and on this early spring. I like the vine for its foliages for the flowers aren't very showy. But I like 'em. Can't find a pic. now. A more colorful of a similar blooming hydrangea is this one. They're not at their peak yet, but this is a start.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9114798

A close up; (sorry about the OT everyone).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9114807

Last one of the shrub hydrangeas. All these do well under canope shade.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9114815

Thanks for the birthday wishes Kathy, that cake looks delicious. Annette
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9114823

Annette, from one Geogian to another, whish you a sweet Birthday and happy gardening. You know me , I always think of food.Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9114851

Yummy, pecan pie, delish!!!! Thanks Etelka, I'm a foodie too :-) Annette
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9114942

Happy Birthday Annette, sorry so late I just got home.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2012
1:27 AM

Post #9115142

Annette - Happy belated birthday!

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9115326

Calif_sue - your purple clem looks like "The President". I have it - it is one of two I have and it is just now getting ready to open. TONS of blooms on it (and I dont do anything with it - but fortunately have GREAT soil). The other I have is "Lime Twist" - thought I lost it but I have 3 vines coming up that are now about a foot and a half tall. Very excited.

These pics are from last year - Lime Twist & President.

Glad I found ya'll - My clem itch is spreading :)

Thumbnail by minnesippi   Thumbnail by minnesippi   Thumbnail by minnesippi

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 8, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9115350

Happy belated birthday Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9115454

Gorgeous climbing hydrangea, Kim. It's really lovely.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9115501

Lily_love wrote:Happy birthday to you Annette, wishing you a great day in the garden. Kathy, my Climbing hydrangea has been blooming off and on this early spring. I like the vine for its foliages for the flowers aren't very showy. But I like 'em. Can't find a pic. now. A more colorful of a similar blooming hydrangea is this one. They're not at their peak yet, but this is a start.

Please forgive me Arlene, the photos are those of shrub hydrangeas, and not the climbing variety. The vine hydrangea produces identical bloom, but they're white and has no color to it.

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9115526

One of my climbing hydrangea's bloomed for the first time in 5 years last year. I am hoping for more blooms and for the other 2 to bloom.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9115547

That's even better, Kim. Then I'm not jealous.

Marie - at least yours blooms. I gave mine a new, sunnier spot, and it looks happy with a lot of new growth but no blooms.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 8, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9115670

Hope your birthday Annette was a special day...gee, that Lime Twist clem looks like mine...I know that's not what I bought, but it came from a big box store & may have been mismarked.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9115674

I like that bit of lime on the sepal. It stands out so well.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9115680

Each flower only has 4 pedals and they are not that big.
Hoping to "get a little more" action out of it this year, but I will have to give a little more to get a little more I suppose.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 8, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9115699

No, mine has a bunch of petals...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9115703

Try manure and compost. Epsom salt can help.

Clematises have sepals, not petals. It came as news to me when I first read it.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 8, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9115710

That's true...the flower is the itty bitty center...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9115713

Marilyn - did you compare your photos to PlantFiles? Here's the page:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/310566/

Scroll down to see the other 16 photos.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 8, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9115993

Thanks, Pirl...I'm sure that it must be Mrs. Bateman...the green must fade as the bloom matures...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9116170

With this view from the side yard you can see the Clems blooming on the trellis to the left and one blooming to the right. I have 4 more on the right side but only 2 are blooming now.

My new little friends in the front bed. On sale for 10.00 each, real ceramic not resin.

Thumbnail by marie_kap   Thumbnail by marie_kap

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9116202

Minni

check out Alba Luxurians http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=561

I have one and yours looks very similar to mine...

koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9116203

Marie,
What a charming garden you have! Thanks for sharing.

Katherine
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9116287

Marie - your gardens are lovely!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9116306

Marie

I love your gardens - the path in the first one is so inviting, I want to take a stroll down and see what all there is to see!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 8, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9116470

Carolyn - yes, that it is. AKA Lime Twist.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/89828/#b
Inthegarden
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9116598

pirl,

I got the Dr. Ruppel and Midnight showers in Feb. and they had one stem and a small root system. I guess similiar to the ones from Wal-Mart. I had purchased several clems that were with small root systems and, yes, they did die.

But the Jackmanii (from W-M) is now in its 4th year, I believe, and is very happy in a large pot after I almost killed it with too much sun and not enough water. Hopefully the drought from past summers will not continue this summer. Princess Di is loaded with blooms for the first time! She is a favorite of mine. These two are my success stories.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9116629

Dropping in late to say thanks Arlene, Kim, John and everyone else for the birthday wishes. Long day today, getting the DH ready for his knee replacement tomorrow. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

You have a beautiful garden marie_kap, and nice blooms minnesippi. I'm drooling over the Omoshiro blooms Arlene and ROBIN. I can never get enough of them ;-)

Kim, the hydrangea is lovely, I have one that's blooming now, I'll have to take some pictures and post them this week. Annette

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 9, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9116908

Good luck, Annette...hope your DH does just fine! Marie, very pretty gardens...I see you have annuals planted already...still a little early for them here...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9116919

I too enjoyed looking at Marie's garden. Nicely done, Marie. Annette best wishes to your DH's procedure and a speedy recovery.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9117023

Annette - hope your husband opted to have the "nerve block". It makes a huge difference with recovery! One friend didn't have it when she had both knees replaced five years ago and still uses a scooter. Another friend did select the nerve block and was walking on her own, no assistance from any crutches/canes/etc., in three days.

Good luck to him with the surgery.

Inthegarden - many of us have both successes and failures with the WM clematises. Jackmanii is an old reliable. All clem's should have the genes for survival that Jackmanii has. Princess Diana is so lovely. She scrambles up our Japanese maple, Scolopendrifolium.

One more Omoshiro to wish Annette's husband the best of health:

Thumbnail by pirl

GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9117394

Annette- Best wishes for your husbands knee surgeries. My wife Roberta had both knees done together 3 years ago. She is so glad she had the procedures! Good luck and I hope you do not become to stressed worrying. Will he be be getting rehab in the hospital?
All- I had my first bloom this year on Mrs. Bateman, small and quite a bit of green however, I sure love her. I also have a forced plant of Pillu in good bloom and lots of buds remaining, but that is the way I purchased her. Lee
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9117734

My Daniel Deronda finnaly bloomed for the first time. It just have one bloom but I just bought it a month ago. Now only Hanrii have not bloomed yet. Last night and today all day it rained , it was a nice slow rain we needed it. Also my lillies have finnaly bloomed, the pink one called Lollypop. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9117757

Such a pretty Daniel Deronda, Etelka. Love the garden with the lilies, salvia and isn't that gaura I spot at the end?

Edited to correct spelling. (Twice!)

This message was edited May 9, 2012 10:58 PM

This message was edited May 9, 2012 10:59 PM
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9117765

My Alabast started blooming and Dr. Ruppel will be next...

Everyone's photos are so beautiful...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9117773

Beautiful. That pale green stripe is just so enchanting on all clem's!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9117791

Thanks Pirl for the proper name for the Daniel D. I had a feeling I misspelled it. It has been a long day at the church cooking. The flower on the end is my Hot lips Salvia, it does look like Guara, but it is taller. I had to trimm it some because my Hanrii is being blocked from it. I have just planted some Calendula seeds, it sproute it, hoping to have some blooms soon. It is called Neon. It said that it has some medicinal use, My sister said that to. Etelka
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9117798

Here is the Calendula Neon. This is one of my favorite colors. Do they have any clems that color?

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9117801

Sorry! I was wrong. It's Deronda. You were right and I was wrong.

My neighbor has a lot of calendula and it livens up her vegetable garden. I don't think she uses it for anything medically.

Last week I bought a lot of salvias and just bought by color. I didn't realize they get to 3, 4 and 5' tall. Fun!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9117803

No clems in that color, Etelka.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9117932

I think it is Salvia I have in the front bed. It starts out as a little clump about 8 inches across. But man once it starts to grow it become 4 ft across and 3 ft high. I had to thin it out some this year and plant it elsewhere.
ravenn51
Sedro-Woolley, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9118179

Hi All:

The nurseries around here don't have the variety of clematis I want. Where is the best place online to order? I want the sweet autumn variety.

Thanks
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9118253

Many people consider Sweet Autumn Clematis to be very invasive and it self-seeds very freely. A neighbor here is constantly pulling it up and throwing it away.

Brushwood Gardens, Garden Crossings and Silver Star Vinery are three possibilities for buying it.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9118274

The worse thing about SAC, is that they choke everything in their paths, I had a nice spot for my hybrid clems in the front yard for several years. This last year the SAC shaded them out. The trouble is I can't yank them out for they woven within other clems. I've tried pretty hard to rid them off, but haven't had success.
ravenn51
Sedro-Woolley, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9118295

I had a sweet autumn clematis at my old house and it was a rampant climber. It actually reached out into a cherry tree and made a bower of white. It was amazing...I kept thinking I need a bride and groom to get married under it...ha ha. I only wish I had taken a picture of it.

Is there another fast growing clematis that isn't so rampant?
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9118434

I have that here, It was here when I moved in and yes it is so pretty and smells so good. But I soon found out how it can kill a tree and yes choke everything it climbs on. I am constantly pulling it up all over the place , even as far away as a 100 yards. Needless to say I am trying to kill it.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9118436

Sweet Autumn clematis popped up all over the place at a former home. Now I've put it in a long high box hedge. I hope it turns the whole thing white!

Thumbnail by Pfg

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9118518

My DH came through surgery fine yesterday. He was up and walking with the walker this morning.

Arlene, he did get the nerve block, and the orthopedist did put in the knee meds to help with
pain and clotting. He feels much better this time around than the first. His knee is also much more flexible. He now wished he hadn't suffered for 3 years before getting this surgery done.

Lee, he's starting PT in the hospital, they started today, which will continue once he gets home. Thanks everyone for the well wishes for my DH.

I also wanted to say beautiful blooms and gardens everyone. Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9118540

Hurray! Good for him and great for you as well.

SO glad he had the nerve block. Another DG person was about to have her surgery (she is an RN) and was unsure as to whether to get the nerve block or not. She did and was back to gardening in two weeks!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 10, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9118588

Good news, Annette...I don't know of too many clems that get large fast...I have what I believe to be Killian Donahue...that covered this trellis in 2 years...and Blue Light grew up this 5' fence also in 2 years...

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9118603

It's so good to hear positive news about others who have had this done. I'm thankful he's doing so well.

Nice Clems ROBIN, so healthy in appearance.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9118621

Cem, glad your DH is doing well. A good friend had both done last year, amazing difference. She could barely move before. Now all that is forgotten!

Nice Clems, Marilyn. I hope my new Blue Light does as well.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 10, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9118999

I'm sure it will, Pam...I have to dose Blue Light, Pink Fantasy, Miss Bateman, & Silver Moon with epsom salts...the rest have been done...
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 10, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9119058

tell me please what do the salts do?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9119100

It's magnesium in a different form and helps encourage "more basal break" (more stems = more flowers).
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 10, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9119101

thank you :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9119108

You're welcome. The reason for the tepid water is that it's absorbed by plants faster than cold water per my radio gardening guys.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9119443

Two or three years ago I ordered a "Countess de Bouchard" from a catalog (or website) - the description made it sound so beautiful.. It bloomed the first year and I thought, "This isn't right - it was supposed to be covered with blooms and I thought they would be spectacular." I thought the color was not exciting and there weren't a lot of blooms.

Last year I added a blue variety at the base, to see if I could come up with some 'excitement' - The blue bloomed (I can't recall the name - I bought it at a local nursery and it was expen$ive) in April, and today, the "Countess" made an appearance. Much nicer than I expected, but still not what I wanted. I had hoped the two varieties would grow intertwined and bloom together. Oh well. Gardening is an experiment...

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9119460

Lee - a friend just had his Comtesse de Bouchard and he, too, was disappointed in the color. Climate and growing conditions (sun/shade) can make a difference as well as taking the photo in various lighting. We're always eager to believe the photos on a site and yet checking PlantFiles to see photos by others is always worth it.

You can try for next year to get them to grow together. Encourage the union by placing a stakes leaning towards each other and check the new growth every week. Add more stakes, if necessary, to keep the clematises entwined.

They both look lovely to me.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 11, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9119506

Just beautiful...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9119553

I think it is very nice. Lots of blooms , nice and full.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 11, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9119767

I wouldn"t kick that out of my garden. I think its beautiful.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9119799

My first blooms this year.
Omoshiro with heuchera
Hoooray for epsomsalts.

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9119909

Beautiful, Jo Ann!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9119926

Thanks Pirl
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 11, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9120169

I love that ge

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 11, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9120240

Gorgeous blooms, Jo!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9120255

Oh boy... I have Epsom Salts... Now all I need is Omoshiro... How beautiful!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9120301

Buy two - you won't regret it. Each flower is so perfect.

Thumbnail by pirl

GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9120443

Hi Everyone- I think I am a danger to myself and others! This was more embarrassing than any thing else.It Was the end of the afternoon but, I had a few tasks to finish. I was trying to carry a bunch of tools and supplies to a border so I wouldn't have to make extra trips or load and unload a cart. Among the supplies was an old and mostly empty bottle of fish oil fertilizer
I had under my arm. I squeezed by a shrub and the brittle old plastic bottle broke all to He**!! and ran all over my shirt and pants. I finished my task and headed to the laundry room only to be greeted by my wife telling me how awful I smelled!! I explained as I shed clothes, my wife couldn't figure out if she was mad or to laugh! She chose the latter and reminded me of a few other "interesting" things I had done over the years! She is a wonderful gal! Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9120460

Very funny! Pheeeeuuuuuuuw!

I was working on a rocky slope today, so careful to balance from stone to stone, doing a great job... Then at the end, I put one big foot down right in the middle of a clump of sedum. Grrrrr...

I'm sure we all have stories...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9120461

Such a sweet couple and such a nice understanding wife! That stuff does stink.

If the local cats start following you I'm sure you'll know why - LOL!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2012
1:47 AM

Post #9120622

The epsom salt treatment is for all clems.Pirls recipe 1 Tablspoon salts to a gallon of water.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 12, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9120759

Funny story, Lee!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9120856

Lee

Love your story and your photo. You both look like such nice people, but clem people are the best anyway!

JoAnn - love your photos. You have such an eye for color and texture.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9120878

thanx
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9120986

My second Daniel Deronda is much darker then the first. I have planted some Angelonias and orange zinnias in front also some purple globe flowers. The second fllush of the Ruutel the flowers are darker and smaller. I guess she gave it all at the first time. My Hydrengeas are ok, they are smaller too and the shade is bitween purple and pink. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9121026

OK, I'm getting ready to plant, and I have two questions:

How do acid-loving shrubs like Azaleas and Rhodies deal with all that manure? Or is it better not to use them as 'vehicles?'
How does Violacea Venosa look from a distance? I'm thinking of putting her in this box, on the far right in this photo.. South is straight ahead toward the house and barn, east to the left.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9121028

Oops, 2nd try on the oicture

Thumbnail by Pfg

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9121091

Azaleas and Rhododendrons shouldn't have any problem with the manure. Did you check for color and bloom time first to be sure of a good match? I'd Google the manure issue to see what you find.

Any dark flower will disappear at a distance but with the amount of white in VV I'm sure it would be noticed.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 12, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9121304

The gardens look great, Pam...you've been busy! Carolyn, JoAnne is a wonderful artist...her watercolors are just awesome...she has that great sense of color & design in her gardens...I've been able to visit them the last 3 Augusts...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9121387

Thanks Marilyn, yes I have been busy!

Pirl, that's what I was hoping you'd say about VV.

I have a Purpurea Plena Elegans which I think is a good match for that poor skeletal azalea down below. It had been completely swamped by a huge climbing hydrangea that we hacked back last fall. It bloomed at the tips last year, that's how I knew it was there and decided to rescue it. We cut the Azalea back too, keeping only the strongest branches. The hope is that it starts to leaf out lower down. If not, good-bye. The clem will still be a good color for that area either way. It can clamber to its heart content in the hydrangea, which is already filling in some. I'm concerned that the hydrangea will gobble up all those nutrients the Clem is going to get, and eat the Clem too. So I've decided to plant it in a huge plastic pot and bury it and see how that goes.

Thumbnail by Pfg

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9121410

Your gardens are gorgeous, Pam.

I'm sure sinking a pot with the clem in it will work fine.

Happy Mother's Day to all of us. As my friend, Bonnie, says: We're all mothers to someone or something.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 12, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9121425

Hi, whew crazy busy. Weeding spring cleanup still underway. Cruddy weather yet, even saw a few flakes yesterday as I was off the the Botanic Garden sale. Ya, it was a bit burry, we didn't stay long cuz it was windy tooo. Also made to the Iris farm to dig some new ones, usually they are in full bloom this time of year at the lower elevations but alas most were already gone so got a few that still had blooms, will have to get planted in a few days, more rain today and tomorrow. I not complaing but I wanted to do more outside plant shopping yesterday, oh well...next year. lol.
Saw all the info above on the climbing Hydrangeas, thanks all, truely do appreciate it. What kind of trelllis or can I pin to the house someway? If I have to wait a few years for bloom atleast the leaves are lovely.
DRAT, those stupid ____, they ate the tops of several more clems. dogonit anyhow. Even pulled out one of the stems from a new clem. Anyone hungry for venison??????
Happy Mother's Day tomorrow!!!!!!!!

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9121461

Home made is best, Happy Mothersday to all the ladies, but sometime your flowers are your babies and that is special too.We help them grow, we brag abot them and feel bad when the slugs eat them. Enjoy your day. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9121502

Happy Mother's Day. I hope that everyone has a great day tomorrow. Annette
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 13, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9121822

I do remember mothers day at church yers ago. All would go to the alter and get either a red carnation if their mother was living or a white one if their mother had died.
Here"s to all you ladies who do so much for your children. Fixing Sunday dinner, ironing clothes , picking up after and Kissing the boo boos of life.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9121886

Thanks, John.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9121901

I love venison..

Happy Mothers Day!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 13, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9122427

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day...it was crazy here, but I guess crazy is good...

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9122831

It was wonderful,just me and my daughters with GD .Lots of laughs.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 14, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9122948

The best kind of day!
mstish
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9123314

Has anyone else noticred that there are a lot more bumble bees this year than in the previous years? I am in Oregon so it might just be in this area. Sure glad to see them make a comeback. Go bumblers.

This message was edited May 14, 2012 5:29 PM

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 14, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9123431

Lots of bumblebees here but not any honeybees...Here are some clems that opened yesterday...

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9123478

BUMMER!

My white clematis that has bloomed by my garage for the last three years got broken off overnight. I suspect my two garden watchdogs (the cats Ruby and Jake) were chasing a rodent through the bed and bumped it. I've decided I'll move the clem (I'm sure the roots are healthy) to a place in the border and give it a trellis in a location the cats don't frequent. I'll put a climbing rose in the spot by the garage and, hopefully, it will be sturdy enough to withstand the foot traffic.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9123502

Dang
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9123733

Here are a couple of my first blooms...Omoshiro and Firefly.

Thumbnail by koshki   Thumbnail by koshki

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9123922

That happened to me one year. My sons dog went behind the trellis while I had her tied out side on her leash and ripped it right off the trellis. But it came back strong the next year.

Robin what is the name of that red clem?

I am still waiting on my Omoshiro to bloom.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9123996

Gorgeous clem's, Marilyn. Love the colors.

Lee - that is a bummer. Like Marie's incident, I hope it returns better than ever.

Katherine - great photos and great use of that container to keep the roots cool. You'll love Omoshiro more with each bloom.

Marie - your patience will be rewarded. Does it have buds?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9124006

It was a wonderful Mother's Day here as well and even Mother Nature added to the joy of the day.

Blue Light
Blue Moon with Dr. Ruppel on the obelisk
Bourbon

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9124018

I think it does Arlene, It is finally putting out some good growth. I sure want tone of those red ones. I have one starting to bloom out front, that I will have to take a pic of. I dont know who it is, but it is going to be a nice one.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9124019

Along with:

Crystal Fountain (excuse the black plastic to the right. Hopefully solarizing the soil will kill the dreaded Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon' but we won't remove the plastic for another 16 months to be sure it's dead.)

Ernest Markham

Fireworks

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9124022

Please post when it blooms, Marie.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9124042

Guernsey Cream also opened but my photo of it is awful.

Henryi opened, much to my delight. I love this one! That's Liberation around the corner.

Liberation - close-up.

The monster that is montana Grandiflora. Massive amount of blossoms.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9124046

Love those Arlene, especially the monster montana. :))
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9124060

Thanks, Kim.

Multi Blue, Belle of Woking, HF Young and one whose name I can't recall. (It's been a long day.)

The second Omoshiro bloomed after the third one, which was devoured by earwigs. I did apply Ortho Bug Geta Plus but only after I saw the damage.

Here's Omoshiro with Nelly Moser and a self-seeded columbine that matches both of them.

Pinky - very nice this year. At first I didn't like it at all.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9124070

Reiman

The President - a really bad photo so I'll try again tomorrow if the rain doesn't arrive.

Last but not least...drum roll please...finally, after all these years of disappointments, wrong names and dead plants, here is Venosa Violacea. I only planted it in a pot in March (a Walmart purchase) and kept it indoors to try and get a bloom. Once in a while we are rewarded for our efforts! Going from a green plastic bag in March to a bloom two months later was unexpected and delightful.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9124152

Everyones blooms are just gorgeous. Arlene, you've got a blooming bonanza going on, I'm glad your VV is doing well from Walmart. Next spring, I'm going to have to pick up some clematis from there, I regret not getting Henryi when I had the chance.

Good news here is that we've a lot of rain over the last few days, and the weather has been cooler, which all the plants are loving. Durandii, Otto Froebel, and John Warren are all growing well and have blooms forming.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 14, 2012
11:56 PM

Post #9124307

I have done some bad thing this early morning, found the Bluestone website and ordered some clematis. They have some clems on sale, half price, I hope the co. is not on the bad list. Ordered Venosa Violacea, (yes Pirl, I got the same feever as you did) and with it the Ice Blue. From Brushwood I have ordered John Warren (my dad's and my Brother's name) and Madam Julie Correvan (my nieces name) Pretty soon I will have the whole family, missing a flower named after Eva. I think I should go back to bed, before this card start smoking. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9124456

Thanks, Annette. I raised the VV indoors in a Walmart self-watering pot and now I'm convinced I'll never raise young clem's in anything but that type of pot. They're all less than $5.00. Still quite a few to open but some don't get blooming until summer.

Etelka - I wish you luck with the clem's from Bluestone. They were my biggest disappointments aside from the disaster clematis co-op (NOT Koi's). I think there's a phlox named Eva Cullum that might have to do until there's a clem named Eva.

Here's a whole page, by Google, on Eva Cullum:
http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=phlox eva cullum&rlz=1R2GZAZ_enUS418&oq=phlox eva&aq=0&aqi=g1g-K5g-mK1g-bK3&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.0.0j0i30l5j0i5i30j0i8i30l3.4032.7188.1.13625.9.8.0.0.0.1.2079.8687.5-2j3j0j2j1.8.0...0.0.RlldkXrsPEU&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=b33756a7ca49b63e&biw=1058&bih=513

Eva Foerster: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1R2GZAZ_enUS418&psj=1&q=phlox eva foerster&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1058&bih=513&wrapid=tlif133708580667110&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=9E-yT9vlCcOX6AGyt83TCg

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 15, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9124602

Pirl, your clems are stunning...I love VV, & may have to track one down! Marie, the red clem is Ruutel, I believe...my tags got totally messed up, Marie Louise Jensen was the tag, but that clem is purple, I believe...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9124792

Thank you, Marilyn. More opened today but without sunshine they generally don't photograph well for me.

MLJ is a purple with a nice matching stripe on the sepals.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 15, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9124914

Hoping she appears someplace else!
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9125131

Lots of bumble bees here and honey bees too! Very glad to see them enjoying the nectar in the garden. Sadly the yellow jackets (wasp) are plentiful this year too! They are so annoying.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9125390

"Countess de Bouchard" with one of the NoID blues peeking through. I didn't think it had intertwined, but I guess I was wrong.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9125500

Very pretty combo LG.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9125523

Lovely...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9125609

Slugs eating blooms, what do I do?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9125725

Soft and lovely, Lee.

Marie - here's your answer because along with slugs come the earwigs and this takes care of both:

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 16, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9125822

Pretty pastel clems!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9125986

Arlene

can I get that at Lowes? I had a problem last year with slugs.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9126001

Not sure. Maybe HD or Walmart.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 16, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9126382

President bloomed today!

Thumbnail by minnesippi

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9126565

Such a beautiful color!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9126647

Oh wow, what a pretty blue.

Arlene I will look for that. I sure dont want to loose the new blooms on the ones that are blooming for the first time in a few years.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9126664

Tonight I was cutting back dead wood on a hydrangea and couldn't believe the amount of baby slugs I saw. Got my Ortho Bug Geta Plus and applied it to all hydrangeas, lilies, etc.

Dr. Ruppel is huge this year along with many others.

The clematises at the fireplace are blooming very well - HF Young, Mrs. Yuki, Ilka.

Last one is another HF Young with good old Belle of Woking.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 17, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9126918

Gorgeous! And I love the deep blue on President...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9126926

All so beautiful! Arlene, spring has finally arrived where you're!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9127001

Thanks, Kim.

Anna Louise surprised me with a first bloom yesterday. I hadn't even noticed any buds on it.

The size of the flowers, like this HF Young, is amazing this year.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9127164

Based upon all of your lovely examples, I concur with those who suggested my NoID is HF Young.

The first pic was taken in April and the second, taken on Monday show the 'real' color - the third photo, from this morning, looks off color - due to the sunlight behind and the reflected light from my red shirt and the surrounding flowers, To my eye, it's a dead-on match (7 petals, etc.).

Thanks for your help identifying this beauty!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 17, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9127499

Pirl, your Anna Louise looks like my NOID...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9127707

Did you buy it without a tag?

Mine is in part shade so maybe that's why it's later than yours.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9127726

Marilyn - I did a collage and now they don't look like they are the same clematis.

Your center is much fluffier than mine.
My center stripe goes right to the edge.
Your sepals overlap as they emerge from the center where mine has a space.
Your sepal edges are pointed, mine are rounded.
You have seven sepals, I have six.

They are both lovely.

Thumbnail by pirl

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9127733

Hi everybody, we had three days of good slow rain and the garden looks good. Early next week I will get my new Clems and I was wandering if I wanted to plant one in a pot, how big should the pot be. Will make some trellis that will fit into the pot, but I was hoping to get big enough to not to have to repot after a few years. Thanks, Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9127762

Then it would have to be a very big pot, Etelka. If you select a medium color pot and keep it in part shade it will probably do fine. Look in Walmart for their plastic self-watering pots and buy the largest one, less than $5.00, and be sure to mulch it very well - at least 3" if not more. The pot relies on you to give it water but I'd add water crystals, reconstituted, just to be safe.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 18, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9128314

Oh, thanks, Pirl...now of course I can see the differences...I guess it is Kilian Donahue...
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9128418

I just received my Bluestone order, 3 Venosa Violacea and one Ice blue. They look nice and healthy, not to big and no buds, but I think I got nice plants for under 7 dollars each. I am planing to give one to my friend that has a nice fence to run it on and just started to grow clematis. I have to go get some more bone meal and look for some large flower pots to plant some in it. Still two more clems are coming next week from Brushwood.

Thumbnail by kiseta

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9128514

kiseta, what's joy! Happy gardening! I love all your clems. everyone. This one is for wwk. relating climbing hydrangea. See the humongous vine climbing up the base of my dogwood? That's my climbing hydrangea which is roughly 7-8 years of age. The potted plant in the front is Billbergia nutans if someone maybe wondering.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9128668

I have just picked up a flower pot, 20" wide, I did not like the self watering ones, to bright colors, this will be nicer with black trellis. When I put the clem in the pot, do I put it in the middle or in one side that way I can plant some annuals around it to keep it cool. Some stores had nice ceramic pots but no holes in them. This one is kind of plastic and I can drill few holes in the bottom.

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9128693

I'd put the clematis in the center and the smallest annuals you can find around the edges. Remember the mulch.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9128701

Thank you, tonight us old bitties are playing Maxican train dominos and eating pizza, I guess our panting the town RED is over. Darn...Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9128845

Have fun!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 18, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9128848

Clem Ibi opened today...

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9128884

Very nice!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9128953

Wonderful, Marilyn. It's so nice and full. The dark center is so nice.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9129314

The first one is the my Ville de Lyon. ,,finally it is blooming after 3 years. I had forgot where I had planted it. The second is hard to see, but the bloom is a dark purple. The first bloom was eaten by slugs. I am not sure of the name. I think it is the one I bought that never grew for 2 years, so I moved it.

Thumbnail by marie_kap   Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9129333

That must be the most gorgeous Ville de Lyon I've ever seen. Good photo! I hate it when the earwigs get to the clem's before we can even spot them.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 19, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9129343

I bought 'snow queen' last night from HD.
How long does it take to grow a clem from seed? I have 3-4 different kinds of seed.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 19, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9129352

'President' is HUGE this year! I dont remember the flowers being this big last year...

And 'Snow Queen'

Thumbnail by minnesippi   Thumbnail by minnesippi   Thumbnail by minnesippi

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

May 19, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9129364

The clems are very large & lush this year...mild winter, I guess...very pretty colors...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9129387

Minne - I've never raised them from seed but John (timeinabottle) has. Maybe he can tell you.

Yes, as Marilyn said, all the clem's (except the very early ones) are larger flowers than normal this year. So many look almost fake but it's still a huge improvement over last year.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9129824

I replaced my broken off clem with a climbing rose. The cats can chase rodents all they want and this won't be damaged, I'm sure.

This message was edited May 19, 2012 4:38 PM

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9129938

You didn't dig up the clematis, did you?
roseycats
Dayton, OH

May 19, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9130025

CalifSue, Love your Osteospermus, I have seen that flower in my area which is Dayton, Ohio Bev

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

May 20, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9130445

Good Morning All;

Minne I have had abundant success 1 time in growing Clems from seed. I put the seeds in a pot after clening them and dthen put them out in a cold frame and forgot them. Some time a year later I looked in the frame and there were hundreds of clem plants. Since then I have had no success trying a variety of techniques.

I have been doing some weeding this morning. The temperature at the moment has reached 80 . Yesterday WE had a 90 degree afternoon.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9130461

I moved the clematis to a place in the border where I'll place a teepee type trellis (ordered on line, to match this one) when it arrives. I hope moving the clem root now didn't kill it and that it sends up a few shoots soon.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9130503

John - seems Fate smiled on you the first time around!

Keep those high temperatures out there. It's 69 here and delightful in the shade.

Lee - good! Give it an Epsom Salt drink about once a week until you spot the new shoots. It won't need a gallon each time - a quart should do the trick.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9130538

Thanks for the encouraging advice, pirl! Remind me - what does the epsom salt do for clematis?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9130670

For all plants the Epsom Salt drink creates more "basal breaks" = more stems. Around here greenhouses use it in feeding all their plants.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9130678

Chat continues here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1259448/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America