-
AuthorContent
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9108712

I reused a container that had potatoes and nasturium in it last year for lettuces this year. I did Jericho Romaine, Red Sails leaf lettuce and a Mesclun mix. They all taste bitter to me. One of the Mesclun lettuces tastes hot. Are my taste buds just not used to home grown lettuce, or could my soil be bad? If so, is there anything I can do? I grew these all from seed and they're beautiful! I'm just not lovin' the taste!
Coons48
Corpus Christi, TX

May 3, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9108735

pictureS?
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9108823

Sorry, I've not taken any yet, but they look great, they just taste funny!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 3, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9108824

Most of the mesclun mixes are bitter like argula. It is an acquired taste!! Love them though.

Bellie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9108865

If you're used to bland, grocery store lettuces like iceberg and Boston, dirt-grown lettuce does take getting used to. I speak not as a lettuce grower, but as someone who has been served many many many home grown lettuce salads. Try mixing with other, milder lettuces to get used to the taste, picking the lettuce earlier while it is younger and the flavor is milder, using more dressing, adding tomatoes, sunflower seeds, Parmesan cheese, other stuff. I tell myself that the flavor is the vitamins.

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9108877

Don't know if it's hot up there but the heat plays a big part in bitterness. If when you cut the lettuce and you see a white milky sap the lettuce is too old and is probably bolting from rapid growth due to the temps. Summer is not a good time for lettuce...Spring and Fall is best when it's cool if it ever does cool off.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 3, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9108923

Thank you ALL so much. All of these things are kind of what I expected and what some of my family had said. It's comforting that noone suspected my dirt!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America