Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Lawn edger ?

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9108991

I usually mow and Gary weed wacks. He is going in for knee replacement mid-May and I am getting a crash course on his tasks. I successfully started the gas weed wacker but was only able to wack with the head flat (under fences, against buildings). It quickly became heavy and both my hands got numb after a short time. I was totally inept at tipping it sideways to trim the flower beds (lawn to dirt). I have a lot of these edges, most have been trenched but still need weekly haircuts to keep the grass from dangling or encroaching. In the barn I found this old electric edger with wheels. Looks like it is designed for edging concrete, and we do have some sidewalks that I will use this on. Would it also work to roll along the grass to dirt edge? It is currently missing a blade so I haven't been able to try it out. Or does anyone have a magical tool that might be better suited for that particular task? Thanks for your input. I remember as a child doing this all with the hand clippers -- not a happening thing.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9109158

I use a foot-mashy edger so I don't know about that thing but your flower bed is sure pretty.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9112073

Good luck to Gary with the knee surgery, and to you with everything that will be on your shoulders during his recovery. The main thing is, don't over-do or you'll be the next one needing physical therapy.
Lauribob
Twisp, WA

May 7, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9113938

I know what you mean about the weed wacker - I can only run it for a short period before it wreaks havoc with my hands. I got some of those rigid plastic thingies instead of the string and I can turn mine sideways to do a little edging or clean between rocks. I have a pretty light weight weed wacker though.
velveteena
Seattle, WA

June 14, 2012
12:51 AM

Post #9164474

What is a foot-mashy edger? My dad had an old thing that was totally manual. I guess it worked. You sort of had to push the blade along the sidewalk---there must have been a little wheel. I remember something like the little pointy star on the backs of spurs. Perhaps they even make a modern version that is cheap, cheerful, and lightweight. Razor sharp would be a necessity, I think. Good luck!
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9164809

I've been utilizing an even better system -- bribing my two sons to run the weedwacker for me! You'd be surprised how much work you can eke out of a grown child in exchange for a BBQ dinner. I also added hand clippers to my usual tool arsenal and hand-edge as I weed. Makes for a bit of a spotty look, but with our rain/sun/rain pattern, everything is pretty spotty this spring.

Gary is doing well in recovery, about 4 weeks out now and ready to return to work part time. Hoping to do the other knee after Thanksgiving.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9164915

I'm glad to hear your DH is recovering rapidly.
Actually a foot-mashie is a made-up saying for when you use your foot to move your golf ball when you shouldn't. They used to call clubs mashies also. My edger is just a half-circle of metal with a bent over part on top to step on with your foot. Does that make sense?

This message was edited Jun 15, 2012 9:37 AM
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

June 14, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9165633

BH,
Happy all went well with hubby.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America