Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Keyhole Gardens: A Drought Tolerant Composting Garden: Great concept

Communities > Forums > Article: Keyhole Gardens: A Drought Tolerant Composting Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Keyhole Gardens: A Drought Tolerant Composting GardenReplies: 5, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9109088

I really love the whole self contained idea and especially the reduce, reuse, recycle part of it. This takes square foot gardening to a whole other level. Im turning my square footers into keyholes ASAP. I love it.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9109161

I am so glad you enjoyed reading about the keyhole gardens. I agree, the recycling (of everything) is the best aspect!

Thank you so much for reading and posting your comments,
--
Bev

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9109373

Great write up Bev! Like your page layout and design too. I had never heard of Keyhole Gardens before. I saw a similar creation in a YouTube video for a small scale porch or deck version that used a large potato sack; made a keyhole design in the center and filled the center hole with stones - no compost. Then slits were cut in the sides of the sack and pulled open to fit in plants. The plants got watered from the top with the water traveling down the center.

Good luck making your Keyhole Gardens!

Diana

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9109466

Hi Diana, welcome back home! I have heard of the big (Hessian) grow sacks with stones down the center, but not set up with a keyhole design. I bet it works great, too!

Thanks for the kind words about the article and sharing info about the grow bags!
--
Bev
Noelle216
Bayside, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9116116

Hi Bev,

What a great idea! I've never heard of keyhole garden structures, but I'm going to convince my DH to build one for me this summer, LOL. Those second-hand bricks I've been hoarding will come in handy. I'm also going to share this idea with a few gardening friends.

When DH and I eventually retire and relocate to Kansas, we'd like to have a gray-water system installed if possible. This summer will probably be a hot, dry one, to follow our dry spring. It's time to invest in rain barrels!

Best regards,

Christi

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9116200

Hi Christi,
I'm glad you liked the keyhole garden concept enough to share! We've had a lot of wet weather this spring and our rain barrels are full. I hope we'll be ready for the hot dry summer that some have forecast for our area. I may soon regret waiting until next year to build our keyhole garden instead of this year!

Thanks for reading and commenting!
Have a great gardening season,
--
Bev

PS: There are one or more DG articles on how to make rain barrels if you're interested in DIY ideas.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Keyhole Gardens: A Drought Tolerant Composting Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brilliant concept MargaretK 1 May 3, 2012 5:57 AM
I want one Cville_Gardener 8 May 7, 2012 3:59 PM
This is something I will share! Tallulah_B 1 May 4, 2012 4:31 AM
Love it! tinytwist 1 May 9, 2012 5:50 PM
wonderful, mind altering idea stellamarina 1 Jun 28, 2012 5:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America