Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sprout13
Palmyra, MO

May 3, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9109100

Hi everyone one! I'm new here *waves hello* to those that I haven't met yet. I am completely new at bird watching, but I'm really enjoying it and all the friendly people here at DG.

I have a silly question regarding Baltimore Orioles that I was hoping you can all help me with. I am really hoping to attract one (I know - HIGH HOPES for a newbie bird watcher lol). I have read tons of articles online (including here), and have gathered a great amount of info on attracting them.

I now have my Jam and Orange halves out and I am refreshing them often (been doing so for two weeks) and really hoping the BirdGods send an Oriole my way. My problem is all my Jams and Oranges attract are a ton of flies and bees. How do you guys keep bugs off your oranges and out of your Jams? Do you only leave the items out in the day and take them in at night - or leave them out 24/7? and How often do you change out your Orange Halves and Jam?

I would love to hear what all you experts do :)
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 3, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9109543

Hi sprout, I'm going to bump this thread up in hopes that ducbucin, nanny or someone else who host Orioles will see it.
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9110260

Hi, I'm new to the bird forum, too, and have the very same question. I had a jelly jar feeder out for Orioles last year, but eventually the wasps found it and ate all the jelly.

I'd love to hear suggestions to prevent this!
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 4, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9110367

I'll D mail the people to ask for their help concerning this and they'll get back to you.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9110419

Welcome Sprout13 and Koshki, I don't have the Baltimore Orioles, but I do have the Bullock's and Hooded Orioles here now.

When I put out the orange slices and halves, I usually hang them from a branch attached to my deck and close to a hummingbird feeder with the flowers pulled out which makes the feeder port larger. My picky orioles won't touch the grape jelly and only a couple of the younger ones even go for the oranges. Maybe to first attract them, you should deal with a sugar water feeder first? Be sure that you make this juice with 4 cups of boiling water to one cup of sugar. Don't fill the feeder very full if you haven't yet seen any hummers, and keep the balance of the sugar water in your refrigerator for later. Be sure and keep the sugar water fresh-changing it at least every three days if it's warm where you live.

Nanny will be able to tell you what she does with the ants or bees. You could use an ant guard (check on line for one of many). Here's a link to the ant guards that I use-love them!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLID-COPPER-ANT-TRAP-GUARD-MOAT-4-HUMMINGBIRD-FEEDER-/200448110495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eaba36f9f

My husband made me this holder for an orange using copper wire and a cheap glass dish.

Also, here's a cheaper way to put out oranges. I haven't had trouble with ants or bees with either holder.

This message was edited May 4, 2012 9:47 PM

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln
Click an image for an enlarged view.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9110421

Hi guys and welcome!!

First off I will assume you have orioles in your areas. It took us a couple of years to really get the orioles coming but now we have lots of orioles. I started by putting out Grape Jelly in very small cat type metal saucers, along with an oriole nectar feeder and also red grapes in small bowls and oranges.

I change the orange halves when they start to look dried out. There is no way to keep bugs and bees away. That is something that is just part of it! By putting a small amount of jelly in dishes as needed it does help a little. I check them every morning and refill if needed. I set up a platform feeder so I can leave mine out over night out since I live in an area with raccoons and other critters that would like to eat the goodies too!

Once you have birds coming the dishes will empty quickly, especially if you get fledglings! Other birds besides orioles will enjoy these foods also. I get Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Gray Catbirds, some Robins and Cardinal enjoy the jelly and grapes.

MY first set up was on a small table in the yard. It worked well until squirrels starting raiding the grapes & oranges!

The third photo is a shot of the platform feeder which is mounted on a pole with a raccoon baffle. The dishes are inside the platform. I will go out and take a photo and post here in a few minutes!! lol

Hope this helps and if you have more questions feel free to ask here or D-mail me!

This message was edited May 4, 2012 4:01 PM

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9110457

I put my oriole jelly jar out today, and went back into the house to put the jelly away...looked out the window and there was a female at the feeder! Then both a male and female came back a bit later. We had several here all last summer. It was fun watching the momma try to get her lazy teenagers to feed themselves. They just didn't want to do it!

Right after I saw the oriole, I had my first hummingbird of 2012, six days earlier than last year! DH thinks that it was the oriole feeder that attracted him. My hummingbird feeder has been out for a couple weeks. We will be putting out the rest of the feeders tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I tried oranges last year but didn't have any luck.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9110468

This photo shows the dishes inside the platform. Right now I just have 2 but before long I will add one more to each side. The females have just shown up here this week so the traffic will pick up soon!

The fruit right now is in a feeder called the Dinner Bell from Wild Birds Unlimited but other places sell them too. This also allows butterflies to come and feed on the fruit. I just changed the oranges so the two on the baffle will be tossed into the woods for other critters to eat. The orioles don't eat much of the oranges here at my house. Mostly eaten by the red-bellied woodpeckers here.

The humming bird feeder is hanging there and the hummers don't seem to mind. I haven't even put out the oriole nectar feeder and may not if it looks like they don't miss it.

Tip regarding bees...I try to get this all done in the very early morning before the bees are out or after dark when they are gone for the day.

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9110475

Congrats Koshki!!

I have wondered if maybe they are sick of oranges by the time they get up here...they sure gobble up the jelly! I have tried other flavors of jelly with no luck, but other people have had luck with apple, peach or apricot jelly and jams.
sprout13
Palmyra, MO

May 4, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9110585

ducbucln wrote: Maybe to first attract them, you should deal with a sugar water feeder first?

I do have 2 Hummingbird Feeders up and 1 Oriole Nectar feeder (with the store bought Oriole Nectar mix). I will try my own mix once I run out of the store bought one. I also have an orange half and jam feeder (individual units). I will just keep those refreshed as often as I can and hope for a small miracle lol.

I absolutely LOVE your homemade orange and glass bowl feeder. I have to show that to my SO, I bet he can make me one in no time going by your picture. Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the helpful pictures!
sprout13
Palmyra, MO

May 4, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9110591

pelletory wrote:I'll D mail the people to ask for their help concerning this and they'll get back to you.

Thank you for rounding up everyone - super nice of you to do!

sprout13
Palmyra, MO

May 4, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9110609

nanny_56 wrote:Hi guys and welcome!!

First off I will assume you have orioles in your areas. It took us a couple of years to really get the orioles coming but now we have lots of orioles. I started by putting out Grape Jelly in very small cat type metal saucers, along with an oriole nectar feeder and also red grapes in small bowls and oranges.

I change the orange halves when they start to look dried out. There is no way to keep bugs and bees away. That is something that is just part of it! By putting a small amount of jelly in dishes as needed it does help a little. I check them every morning and refill if needed. I set up a platform feeder so I can leave mine out over night out since I live in an area with raccoons and other critters that would like to eat the goodies too!

Once you have birds coming the dishes will empty quickly, especially if you get fledglings! Other birds besides orioles will enjoy these foods also. I get Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Gray Catbirds, some Robins and Cardinal enjoy the jelly and grapes.

MY first set up was on a small table in the yard. It worked well until squirrels starting raiding the grapes & oranges!

The third photo is a shot of the platform feeder which is mounted on a pole with a raccoon baffle. The dishes are inside the platform. I will go out and take a photo and post here in a few minutes!! lol

Hope this helps and if you have more questions feel free to ask here or D-mail me!

I believe they are in my area, but like you mentioned it may take time for me to attract them to my yard (several seasons).

I like the idea of the platform with the squirrel baffle. I may have to give that a go. My set up now is all on a big Sheppards hook and it seems kind of crazy lol. I will go out and snap a picture of what I have and post it here shortly. My SO calls it Oriole Lala Land lol.

As long as the bugs and bees are part if It - I'm okay with that. I try and change things out every day or every other day. I do leave over night and so far the squirrels haven't figured it out yet, but I'm sure they will soon. The pic of the squirrel eating the orange makes me realize I have to put a baffle on my hook soon or they will be feasting here too.

Thanks so much for the help. I will post my setup picture shortly.

sprout13
Palmyra, MO

May 4, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9110636

Nanny I love the Dinner Bell Feeder, I'm going to do some searching for that one. Perfect feeder for all kinds of things.

Here is my set up. So far. I just need to add a squirrel baffle to pole. My Hummers showed up 2 days ago and they seem FASCINATED my the Oriole stuff. I have this one hummer who pokes at the nectar feeder and tries so hard to drink from it and 2 feet away are two freshly stocked hummingbird feeders.

Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13

koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9110652

Sprout, that is so cute! So maybe my DH is right, the hummers like the orange stuff, too!

I hope it won't take you too long to attract an oriole. I got lucky last year...put out the feeder and they found it quickly.

I guess I'll have to change things more frequently to keep the wasps at bay. I've also set out a wasp trap...hopefully I'll catch a queen and keep the population low around here.

Here are some shots from my first visitor last year. I just noticed these shots were taken on May 3rd...I guess I was late getting my feeder out. I'll have to remember to put it out earlier next year!

Katherine

Thumbnail by koshki   Thumbnail by koshki

sprout13
Palmyra, MO

May 4, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9110664

koshki - great pictures. He is beautiful. I love the jar feeder, I considered that one but then figured I would wait and see if I ever get one first.

I never thought of a wasp trap - GREAT idea. I have seen them in my Farm and Home store and thinking I will definitely be getting one to keep them at bay from the hummingbird and Oriole areas in my yard. Also going to change things out early morning or later at night so I don't have to wrestle with the bees.

I'm going to keep trying to get one. Have to at least try. Love how everyone is posting there Oriole Pictures here!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9110710

Nice set up sprout!!

I have looked at those jar feeders and they would be so handy to use, but the problem I have with those is when it rains. Like we are getting ready to have storms now...so I can bring my little bowls in (as long as there are no ants!!) and the birds will eat the fruit for now.
koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9110717

I used it all last summer. After it rained, I just went outside, and tipped the water out. Surprisingly it didn't dissolve the jelly. And if I forgot to do it, it didn't seem to matter to the birds.

Note, it only fits the small Smucker's sized jar. I had trouble finding jelly in the right sized jar, but then I just refilled it from a big bottle.
sprout13
Palmyra, MO

May 4, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9110734

As soon as I see my first Oriole I will pick one of those up. Good idea to refill the jar once you find the right size. Keeping notes here of all these great ideas.

We are having storms this way too for the last few days, more to come over the next few days. I left out my Jelly last night and we had a storm. I did the same thing, I just tipped the bowl over and the water was just on top and the jelly underneath was still jiggly and fresh. I will change it in the morning. I just squeeze out a little bit each day.

I do have to make one alteration to my jelly feeder. Currently the bowl is screwed to the base. I do not want to have to remove the whole unit every time I refresh jelly or try and reach under to unscrew the bowl. So I took a closer look and if I drill out a hole at the base of the unit, I can rest the bowl in there instead, and it will be easy lift to change it. I will post before and after pictures once I get that done. It may help someone that has the same feeder (which were purchased at Menard's - like a Lowe's type store in our area).

sprout13
Palmyra, MO

May 6, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9113120

I.m happy to say I got my first Oriole Yesterday on 5/5 - So very happy and excited when I seen him fly in.

He's been her for 2 days. I believe it's only one male, I haven't seen a female yet so I don't know if he will be staying. I had orange nectar, oranges and jelly out. He seemed to like all 3 as he worked his way around all the feeders lol. The bees were a big problem and I ended up having to take down the Jelly, but he ate the oranges and nectar afterwards. He doesn't seem to be too picky which is a good thing. I hope he stays around awhile.

Thanks to everyone for there help and advice!

Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9113864

Congratulations Sprout! Glad your little one enjoyed the orange.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9113922

Hope he stays for you too...Congrats!!
stevelvv
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9114335

great pics sprout13. Here on the west coast we have the Bullock's Oriole which usually arrives late April and hang around till late summer. This is the 3rd year I've been feeding them and they definitely go for jelly. I mix a little agave nectar in it for added sweetness. The male just returned yesterday for this season's visit.

Thumbnail by stevelvv
Click the image for an enlarged view.

koshki
Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9114389

Sprout, I had a feeling that you wouldn't wait long to see one!

I find it amazing that I never saw one before I put up a feeder. You'd think such a colorful bird would be easy to spot. (I'm new to birding, can you tell?)

I also used to think that stores that sold hummingbird feeders in my area were just out to take advantage of consumers. I never knew hummers were in my neighborhood! Now I get a parade of them all summer. Love it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America