Chihuly comes to Dallas Arboretum now until November!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I want to go...anyone else?
http://www.dallasarboretum.org/chihuly/admissions.html Make that through December!!!!
It will be so busy at first that I doubt I go anytime soon, but really want to see this!

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 5:34 PM

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

Same here, Sheila. I always forget what a hubbub of activity the spring brings.
I would love to see this, thanks for the reminder!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

What is it?

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

A blown glass art installation by Dale Chihuly. He takes multiple pieces of blown glass and makes large sculptures, suspends them from bridges, ceilings, under pools. Very colorful.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sounds neat!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Stephanie....click on the link that I put in there and go to "media"...there is a picture of him in his studio...then click press release also. There is also a thread on Daves that has some of his pieces....let me find it.

Links longer work.

This message was edited May 4, 2012 3:52 PM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is what a search on the web reveled....
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=ush-mailn&va=Chihuly+glass+exhibit

Dallas, TX

SOUNDS AWESOME!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd go when it cools off. LOL

Dallas, TX

I've been to see it and it is wonderful. What's even more wonderful is that the exhibit has been extended to end of December. Yea! Haven't heard yet if there will be anymore evening concerts added. Hope so b/c I'd like to see the exhibit at night. Word to the wise is that night events sell out way in advance, so if any are added, make your reservations now.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2012 2:05 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I had plans to go with a classmate this past Friday, but with a forecast of cold rainy and windy....we cancelled. Got to get over there for sure.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I heard on the news they were asking to extend the exhibit. Anyone heard anything about that?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I am afraid we are not going to make it, too much going on at this time.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

The Chihully exhibit has been extended to the end of December. Biggest thing to ever hit Dallas. It is beautiful and I would like to go again.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

This is such good news! We were supposed to,go with another couple this past weekend. They had to cancel and we couldn't go next week.
I have such gorgeous photos from friends who've already gone. The night show is what I want to see mostly.

Beverly Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

We saw this in St. Louis a few years ago. A must see!!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Sandy, they have a night show only twice a week and it requires reservations. May already by booked up AGAIN.

Dallas, TX

From the source:

'Chihuly Nights, powered by Cirro Energy, will be held through December 30. Enjoy the Chihuly exhibition in the evening glow of moonlight and tree lights with the artist’s magnificently lit sculptures.

November: Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday evenings excluding November 21.
December: Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday evenings excluding December 24.
Additional nights every evening from December 26 – 30.

Pricing on evening events.
Member Non-member
Adult $12 $20
Senior (65+) $10 $15
Child $9 $10
Parking FREE FREE

The garden will
• feature illuminated sculptures and various dining options during Chihuly Nights.
• be open 9 am to 5 pm seven days a week and also from 6 to 9 pm for Chihuly Nights.
• close from 5 – 6 pm on Chihuly Nights.

Due to popularity, parking on site is limited. Additional, free parking will be available when needed at Gaston and Garland with shuttle buses running continuously to our front door.

NOTICE: ADVANCE TICKETS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL EVENING EVENTS AND ARE AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY ONLINE. '

www.dallasarboretum.org

Dallas, TX

I did not see anything on the website regarding evening concerts. Either the website hasn't been updated yet, or there won't be any more evening concerts. (Now, if I could only make up my mind and choose what night to make a reservation for!)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Christie, I think we'd be happy just to see it in the daylight. I'm not sure my DH would enjoy the cold night air as much as I would. I do have some beautiful photos from a friend who already went. I'd love to see the installations at night, but I'll be content with day time.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

We went in the daytime and were thoroughly impressed. Can't imagine how "wonderful" could be "more wonderful".

Thanks flower child for the accurate report.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I just sped thru this whole thread. It took us two tries to get there as we didn't know where the Arboretum was or about the parking or how long the whole process would take. The second time, we allowed more time so we actually made it in to the Arboretum and got to see it (although I still don't feel like we saw "everything". We joined the Arboretum, so I can go with a "guest" any time. (Hint, hint.) It was amazing, unbelievable, spectacular, and I would love to go back and see the lighted show so thanks for the info!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Carrie, we are some 30ish miles apart. Let me and I would be more than thrilled to make a date. Sheila Franklin is also on the wish list.

When we went, DH was only 6 weeks from complete knee replacement so it was little difficult. We borrowed one of their wheelchairs and that helped a lot. I would be more than pleased to accompany you.

Christi

Looks like I have emphasized "more than" more than enough. hahahahaha

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I am on the list of "need to see" people. I did have plans Friday was a week ago and the temps too a nose dive and threatened rain. Since they extended, my friend and I cancelled and will be trying again next Friday. Hopefully it won't be another cancellation! She is one of my high school classmates and we will be asking about others maybe going too.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Christi, DH and I are going to take our granddaughter who lives in Fort Worth. It will be the first time DDL has ever let us alone with one of the kids without the whole family (including parents, two cars etc.). I think maybe she's starting to trust us a tiny little bit, maybe.

It would have been lovely to go together; maybe we can arrange something else another time. More than a good idea -- a great idea!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

So happy for you. We took our 6 year great-granddaughter and she loved it.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Great! She is 8.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You will have a wonderful time. If you buy tickets and parking tickets on line it is a bit less,

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Parking tickets....isn't parking free for members? I'll check that out. And actually, it's not so much a few bucks saved as having a place to park instead of taking the off-site shuttle--being able to park on-site is a real help.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I didn't know you were a member. We are not but have a handicap sticker on the car tag and we were parked real close. $5.00

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ah, that HP plate is a winner every time! In MA it was hard to get the HP plate and you were stuck with one car only, so I had a placard. Now I have my TX plate with HP tags and I still have my MA placard for travelling. I'm covered. :)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I have had spinal surgery with 4 fusion, DH had complete knee replacement only 2 months ago so we are not users.

Dallas, TX

Update:
The evening exhibits are only available on Mon, Tues, Wed. and there are no evening concerts. I made a reservation yesterday for Dec. 3rd. All evenings in Nov. are sold out. So if you want to go in the evening, make a reservation now! (I noticed that my previous post about making up my mind was on 10/29 and since I waited until 11/8, I missed out on a Nov. night reservation.)

Free parking at the Arboretum for evening events, as I understand it. The shuttle from the other parking lot will not be running unless absolutely necessary. But I wouldn't worry much about parking.

Lou, if you go in the daytime, there are little trams that circle by all of the sculptures. The drivers are good at giving info. This might be good for your DH. The trams will not be available at night.

Carrie, I've lived in Dallas for far too long. But I decided to follow the driving instructions provided by the Arboretum. Wow! Useless! I finally cut off into a neighborhood where I once lived and then took a route that was quick and easy. So don't feel bad about having a hard time locating the place. It's much easier than what I read online. And if guests are free, I'd certainly be glad to accompany you. :)

One more thing about evening visits. Despite what it is said in the info I added earlier, dining is very limited in the evening. There is a reservation only, fixed price, 3 course meal at the DeGolyer. I think it's around $45. It would definitely take a big chunk out of your time to view the sculptures. The other option is an open air walk-up cafe to what I think is called Cafe on the Green (don't trust me on that name). They have a good but limited menu. A word of warning. I ordered a slushie b/c it was a very warm day and I'd been walking all over. Guess what? They don't allow straws. So if you want to walk around while drinking a smoothie or slushie, don't count on using a straw. Minor inconvenience, but thought I'd let y'all know.

If I can cough up the $$, I'd love to join people in a group visit.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Went to Chihuly exhibit yesterday!! Two high schoolmates joined me....had a blast! I have loads of pictures but no time this morning to post but a few. I have got to get moving to re-leaf Arlington!

Loaded pictures then forgot to post words....lost it! Will add later today, go to go.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 6:28 AM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Went to Arlington to volunteer with the Re-Leaf program to replace trees lost in the tornado this past spring.

Rested and relaxed now, so here is some photos.....

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

Very pretty Sheila, did you get to see Frank at the tree planting?
I was at a class all day.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sheila, I hope you don't mind that I saved your pix to show my mother and step-father. They were out for a few days last month, and had wanted to go but there just wasn't time (especially considering what I know now about parking etc.). They have seen Chihouly's work at the Boston Museum of Fine Art -- but that's without any flowers or plants, of course. I just wanted to give them an idea.

Dallas, TX

Sheila, your pics are great. For those who haven't been, the first picture is of a sculpture called 'Boat Float'. When viewed from a certain angle, it looks like the boats are headed out to sea. Well, not to sea, but to White Rock Lake. It's really well placed.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes I saw Frank, but we were on separate work details. Mine was the first to be called and I rode with a couple of ladies. We planted from 9:30 until 12:30 and rode back in. Since it was still cold and hot dogs didn't sound as good as going home, so I left then. The last house has three trees put in the back yard where he had lost 25! The lost had a silver lining for them as they expanded a decking to include a gazabo and water feature. The three he had us plant were Eve's Necklace, Mexican Plum, and Redbud...all Texas natives! He said since now they had more sun, they were putting in another sun garden with native plants! I applauded him for his decision.

Carrie....I don't mind at all. Here is another as tx_flower_child mentioned that is perfectly placed. Also added a few more.

Don't forget everyone...it is extended through Dec...then it is poooffff!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

Thank you Sheila, Frank said he had a good time too. I am glad they were native trees and people are becoming more aware of the benefits of using native plants.

That is a beautiful exibit, but I am afraid we are not going to make it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images