Photo by Melody

Texas Gardening: Chihuly comes to Dallas Arboretum now until November!

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 47, Views: 330
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9109862

I want to go...anyone else?
http://www.dallasarboretum.org/chihuly/admissions.html Make that through December!!!!
It will be so busy at first that I doubt I go anytime soon, but really want to see this!

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 5:34 PM
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9109973

Same here, Sheila. I always forget what a hubbub of activity the spring brings.
I would love to see this, thanks for the reminder!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9110050

What is it?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9110064

A blown glass art installation by Dale Chihuly. He takes multiple pieces of blown glass and makes large sculptures, suspends them from bridges, ceilings, under pools. Very colorful.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9110121

Sounds neat!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9110480

Stephanie...click on the link that I put in there and go to "media"...there is a picture of him in his studio...then click press release also. There is also a thread on Daves that has some of his pieces...let me find it.

Links longer work.

This message was edited May 4, 2012 3:52 PM

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9110495

Here is what a search on the web reveled...
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=ush-mailn&va=Chihuly glass exhibit
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

May 4, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9110607

SOUNDS AWESOME!!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9110938

I'd go when it cools off. LOL
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

October 27, 2012
11:59 PM

Post #9317554

I've been to see it and it is wonderful. What's even more wonderful is that the exhibit has been extended to end of December. Yea! Haven't heard yet if there will be anymore evening concerts added. Hope so b/c I'd like to see the exhibit at night. Word to the wise is that night events sell out way in advance, so if any are added, make your reservations now.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2012 2:05 AM

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9317706

I had plans to go with a classmate this past Friday, but with a forecast of cold rainy and windy...we cancelled. Got to get over there for sure.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9317796

I heard on the news they were asking to extend the exhibit. Anyone heard anything about that?

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9317832

I am afraid we are not going to make it, too much going on at this time.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9318086

The Chihully exhibit has been extended to the end of December. Biggest thing to ever hit Dallas. It is beautiful and I would like to go again.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9318536

This is such good news! We were supposed to,go with another couple this past weekend. They had to cancel and we couldn't go next week.
I have such gorgeous photos from friends who've already gone. The night show is what I want to see mostly.

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 28, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9318560

We saw this in St. Louis a few years ago. A must see!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2012
11:58 PM

Post #9318626

Sandy, they have a night show only twice a week and it requires reservations. May already by booked up AGAIN.
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

October 29, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9319572

From the source:

'Chihuly Nights, powered by Cirro Energy, will be held through December 30. Enjoy the Chihuly exhibition in the evening glow of moonlight and tree lights with the artistís magnificently lit sculptures.

November: Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday evenings excluding November 21.
December: Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday evenings excluding December 24.
Additional nights every evening from December 26 Ė 30.

Pricing on evening events.
Member Non-member
Adult $12 $20
Senior (65+) $10 $15
Child $9 $10
Parking FREE FREE

The garden will
ē feature illuminated sculptures and various dining options during Chihuly Nights.
ē be open 9 am to 5 pm seven days a week and also from 6 to 9 pm for Chihuly Nights.
ē close from 5 Ė 6 pm on Chihuly Nights.

Due to popularity, parking on site is limited. Additional, free parking will be available when needed at Gaston and Garland with shuttle buses running continuously to our front door.

NOTICE: ADVANCE TICKETS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL EVENING EVENTS AND ARE AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY ONLINE. '

http://www.dallasarboretum.org
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

October 29, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9319575

I did not see anything on the website regarding evening concerts. Either the website hasn't been updated yet, or there won't be any more evening concerts. (Now, if I could only make up my mind and choose what night to make a reservation for!)
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 29, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9319607

Thanks Christie, I think we'd be happy just to see it in the daylight. I'm not sure my DH would enjoy the cold night air as much as I would. I do have some beautiful photos from a friend who already went. I'd love to see the installations at night, but I'll be content with day time.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9320080

We went in the daytime and were thoroughly impressed. Can't imagine how "wonderful" could be "more wonderful".

Thanks flower child for the accurate report.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9320292

Oh, I just sped thru this whole thread. It took us two tries to get there as we didn't know where the Arboretum was or about the parking or how long the whole process would take. The second time, we allowed more time so we actually made it in to the Arboretum and got to see it (although I still don't feel like we saw "everything". We joined the Arboretum, so I can go with a "guest" any time. (Hint, hint.) It was amazing, unbelievable, spectacular, and I would love to go back and see the lighted show so thanks for the info!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9320576

Carrie, we are some 30ish miles apart. Let me and I would be more than thrilled to make a date. Sheila Franklin is also on the wish list.

When we went, DH was only 6 weeks from complete knee replacement so it was little difficult. We borrowed one of their wheelchairs and that helped a lot. I would be more than pleased to accompany you.

Christi

Looks like I have emphasized "more than" more than enough. hahahahaha

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9322889

Yes, I am on the list of "need to see" people. I did have plans Friday was a week ago and the temps too a nose dive and threatened rain. Since they extended, my friend and I cancelled and will be trying again next Friday. Hopefully it won't be another cancellation! She is one of my high school classmates and we will be asking about others maybe going too.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9326351

Christi, DH and I are going to take our granddaughter who lives in Fort Worth. It will be the first time DDL has ever let us alone with one of the kids without the whole family (including parents, two cars etc.). I think maybe she's starting to trust us a tiny little bit, maybe.

It would have been lovely to go together; maybe we can arrange something else another time. More than a good idea -- a great idea!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9326409

So happy for you. We took our 6 year great-granddaughter and she loved it.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9326422

Great! She is 8.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9326472

You will have a wonderful time. If you buy tickets and parking tickets on line it is a bit less,

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9326879

Parking tickets...isn't parking free for members? I'll check that out. And actually, it's not so much a few bucks saved as having a place to park instead of taking the off-site shuttle--being able to park on-site is a real help.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9327136

I didn't know you were a member. We are not but have a handicap sticker on the car tag and we were parked real close. $5.00

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9327193

Ah, that HP plate is a winner every time! In MA it was hard to get the HP plate and you were stuck with one car only, so I had a placard. Now I have my TX plate with HP tags and I still have my MA placard for travelling. I'm covered. :)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9327348

I have had spinal surgery with 4 fusion, DH had complete knee replacement only 2 months ago so we are not users.
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

November 9, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9328991

Update:
The evening exhibits are only available on Mon, Tues, Wed. and there are no evening concerts. I made a reservation yesterday for Dec. 3rd. All evenings in Nov. are sold out. So if you want to go in the evening, make a reservation now! (I noticed that my previous post about making up my mind was on 10/29 and since I waited until 11/8, I missed out on a Nov. night reservation.)

Free parking at the Arboretum for evening events, as I understand it. The shuttle from the other parking lot will not be running unless absolutely necessary. But I wouldn't worry much about parking.

Lou, if you go in the daytime, there are little trams that circle by all of the sculptures. The drivers are good at giving info. This might be good for your DH. The trams will not be available at night.

Carrie, I've lived in Dallas for far too long. But I decided to follow the driving instructions provided by the Arboretum. Wow! Useless! I finally cut off into a neighborhood where I once lived and then took a route that was quick and easy. So don't feel bad about having a hard time locating the place. It's much easier than what I read online. And if guests are free, I'd certainly be glad to accompany you. :)

One more thing about evening visits. Despite what it is said in the info I added earlier, dining is very limited in the evening. There is a reservation only, fixed price, 3 course meal at the DeGolyer. I think it's around $45. It would definitely take a big chunk out of your time to view the sculptures. The other option is an open air walk-up cafe to what I think is called Cafe on the Green (don't trust me on that name). They have a good but limited menu. A word of warning. I ordered a slushie b/c it was a very warm day and I'd been walking all over. Guess what? They don't allow straws. So if you want to walk around while drinking a smoothie or slushie, don't count on using a straw. Minor inconvenience, but thought I'd let y'all know.

If I can cough up the $$, I'd love to join people in a group visit.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9329463

Went to Chihuly exhibit yesterday!! Two high schoolmates joined me...had a blast! I have loads of pictures but no time this morning to post but a few. I have got to get moving to re-leaf Arlington!

Loaded pictures then forgot to post words...lost it! Will add later today, go to go.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 6:28 AM

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9329892

Went to Arlington to volunteer with the Re-Leaf program to replace trees lost in the tornado this past spring.

Rested and relaxed now, so here is some photos...

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9330012

Very pretty Sheila, did you get to see Frank at the tree planting?
I was at a class all day.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9330362

Sheila, I hope you don't mind that I saved your pix to show my mother and step-father. They were out for a few days last month, and had wanted to go but there just wasn't time (especially considering what I know now about parking etc.). They have seen Chihouly's work at the Boston Museum of Fine Art -- but that's without any flowers or plants, of course. I just wanted to give them an idea.
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

November 12, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9331255

Sheila, your pics are great. For those who haven't been, the first picture is of a sculpture called 'Boat Float'. When viewed from a certain angle, it looks like the boats are headed out to sea. Well, not to sea, but to White Rock Lake. It's really well placed.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9331665

Yes I saw Frank, but we were on separate work details. Mine was the first to be called and I rode with a couple of ladies. We planted from 9:30 until 12:30 and rode back in. Since it was still cold and hot dogs didn't sound as good as going home, so I left then. The last house has three trees put in the back yard where he had lost 25! The lost had a silver lining for them as they expanded a decking to include a gazabo and water feature. The three he had us plant were Eve's Necklace, Mexican Plum, and Redbud...all Texas natives! He said since now they had more sun, they were putting in another sun garden with native plants! I applauded him for his decision.

Carrie...I don't mind at all. Here is another as tx_flower_child mentioned that is perfectly placed. Also added a few more.

Don't forget everyone...it is extended through Dec...then it is poooffff!

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9331693

Thank you Sheila, Frank said he had a good time too. I am glad they were native trees and people are becoming more aware of the benefits of using native plants.

That is a beautiful exibit, but I am afraid we are not going to make it.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9331703

Herman wants to go at night but not sure about time...busy lately.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9332333

Oh! Sheila! That boat! From the wheelchair, I didn't get that view, and from your other pic I didn't either (or maybe I didn't notice) but oh my goodness! How great!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9332843

I took several pictures of the boats. This one is the Carnival Boat, the other is the Float Boat. I can see where you would not have access, this is an old part of the garden and paths were narrow and lots of stairs, glad I could share it.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9332970

Thanks so much, Sheila. They do a good job of ensuring an accessible (stair-free) path to all the installations, but I was down too low and facing the wrong direction. I saw the boats from close up, but not the long views you give. I'm glad we're going back!
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

November 20, 2012
12:09 AM

Post #9337778

FYI - the last pic posted by Sheila on 11/12 is of a sculpture called 'Dallas Star'. Chihuly has donated (?) this to the Arboretum so it will be a permanent display.

As for me, I'm eagerly anticipating my night visit on 12/3.
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

December 4, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9349911

OMG! Went last night and it was stunning! For what could possibly be the first time in my 'adult' life, I am absolutely speechless. And to think that I was worried that it might be bad weather in December. That's laughable as my friends and I were starting to sweat before we'd even seen half of the displays. Anyway, I would like to make a few corrections from what I have previously posted.

Altho I got this info straight from the Arboretum's website, I guess they had a change of heart. They do indeed have little trams (maybe seat 4 adults) available during evening visits. Also, from the moment that you enter, there are concession stands. I don't know what all they were selling, I just know that my peeps both bought some wine to walk around with, to (I guess) enhance their viewing pleasure.

Even tho last night was sold out, there was more than enough parking onsite. Free. Within short, easy walking distance to front entrance. We had planned to arrive at 5:45 since the gates opened at 6. I think we got there closer to 6:30. So even as late-comers, parking was a snap. And we even had time to see many of the exhibits twice. Sigh.

I definitely know that my all time fave on my day visit was the exhibit with the Float Boats. Surprisingly, they weren't as outstanding at night. On the other hand, as you go thru the Women's Garden, right before you get to the Float Boats, there are the Mirrored Hornets. I had barely noticed these during the day. But with the spotlights on them, they became my total night visit fave. Who knew? Anyway, I'm sure we all have our own favorites. Not a dud in the place. :D

One small complaint. The gift shop had some nice pieces of blown glass for about $4500 a pop, and to be fair they had t-shirts, lids, books, etc. as well. But NO postcards! I always buy picture postcards when I go to special museum exhibits. Mail a few and then the rest kinda clutter up the house. So my big bro will not be getting any picture postcards from me. As I said, it's really a small complaint. If I had a newer phone and better eyesight, I could have taken my own pictures.

I hope all of you get a chance to see this wonderful exhibit, whether it be in the daytime or at night. You'll never forget it.

Now I'm going to do a little research on the Dallas Star to find out who actually donated it to the Arboretum. I asked several of the volunteers, but they didn't know that it would be a permanent fixture. I am certain that I read it somewhere, most likely in the Dallas paper. Besides, why else would it be named the DALLAS Star?
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9350377

tx_flower_child

I hope that you watched the movie showing Dale Chihuly and helpers making his glass pieces. During our training to be a Chihuly advisor they showed us the 30 minute movie and everyone was blown away by it (no pun intended). We all said that the Arboretum should make the movie available to the visitors to the exhibit and they said that they were working on getting clearances to do that, but I never heard that they did. I must have volunteered as a garden guide at least 10 times throughout the summer and fall and never heard or saw any reference to the movie so I assumed that they were never able to work out the obstacles. On my last day as a volunteer in November I walked by a room I had walked by at least 30 times and saw through the glass windows that they were indeed showing the movie and had been all along. Itís the best kept secret I know of and Iím afraid that since nobody knew about it, hardly anyone has seen it. The day I found it and went in to watch it again it was me and one couple.

If you have the chance to go back to the Arboretum before the exhibit ends, itís worth it just to watch the movie. It runs on a loop so it is always running and you can walk in at any time. When you go in the front gate stay to the right past the information desk, turn right down the little hallway and itís the room on the left.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #9350601

I never HEARD of the movie and I have been there twice specifically to see the Chihuly exhibit. Now, on the other hand, I wasn't at liberty (or in a power wheelchair) to go wherever I wanted. I was at the mercy of my husband and his short attention span.

And btw, our granddaughter either loved the exhibit or she loved being out with us. We all had a great time.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America