-
AuthorContent
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9110057

I am a sucker for large pumpkins. The plants are beautiful and huge but controllable. I am not growing for giants,,,just large ones. I sowed several seed and more germinated than i expected. Especially one with a history. It is a 705.9 Lovelace from 2007. ( mama was 869 Calai X daddy 1370 Rose) The genetics are great. One problem. I really didn't think it was going to germinate. It has been over a week since I started soaking it in a wet paper towel on a heat mat. It had a sprout this morning and I put it in a 6 inch pot. Now I have to widen my garden sooner than I was planning on doing.
I already have two giant pumpkin plants out there which needs a wider space, crimson sweet watermelons and a carolina cross watermelon.
The soil is not good but just gonna grow them all and see what happens. It's gonna be crowded.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9111277

Good luck, Cricket! I've never grown pumpkins and therefore would like to watch any updates or pictures.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9111288

Thank you Dean.

I actually have 3 large pumpkin plants growing in the ground and one waiting to be transplanted.
One large pumpkin is growing in a 50 gallon drum
One large squash is growing in 32 gallon (the squash grow giant like the pumpkins except they are pale green to medium green and considered a squash instead of a pumpkin due to color)
One large squash growing in an EarthBox

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9111296

Wow! Those sound like pretty large containers. I'm in the process of growing some gourds which I believe are in the same family as pumpkins. And I was debating on about how deep I would need to prepare the soil. So this gives me a bit of an idea. The soil is pretty loose and healthy about 8-9" down after that it's a heavy clay. So now I'm thinking I should prepare the soil a little deeper.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9111444

I have made raised beds in the area that I will be feeding the plants cause my clay pan is about 4 to 6 inches down and I didn't want to dig too deep into the clay cause I was afraid I would create a bowl of water and rot my roots so I went up with the soil also to prevent that from happening. I only needed extra depth at the plants main trunk area.

You are more than welcome to talk about your gourds amongst the pumpkins. What kind of gourds are you growing? My son is growing one bird house gourd. He is a new gardener and excited.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9111487

Some Loofah gourds is what I plan on growing as soon as I finish this darn trellis. I appreciate the advice to on the depth at which your growing.

I also have some Bird House Gourd seeds, but wasn't sure if I should mix them with the Loofahs because of possible cross pollination. Tell your son good luck and hopefully you can post some of his pics.

Anyways, I apologize for derailing your thread.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9112617

Well they say pumpkins and watermelons won't cross pollinate ,I'm here saying they will.One season I grew jack-o-lantern and black diamond an they cross pollinted.I had some 20 to 50 pound watermelon shaped pumpkin hog squash.

Hope that doesn't happen to you ,it was interesting learning that though.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9112694

Cricket,

I'm looking forward to following your pumpkin postings for another season!

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9112842

Im excited. It's been two years since I grew some large plants and I miss it so badly.

Juhur. you gotta tell more of that melonsquash story. It sounds so interesting and I bet you were so lost when some crazy fruit thing tried growing on your plant.

I will have controlled pollination on both the pumpkins and the watermelons of choice.

I have some Sugar Pies growing in earthboxes too.

the leaves started to curl on the first pumpkin plant that i set out and I checked underneath and found some aphids. I sprayed the ground around all the plants and the surrounding lawn area for bugs but I have not sprayed the plants yet , I have to wait until sun down to do that.
First, I am going to take a wet rag and kill the aphids. Then I will spray the leaves down with soapy water. They are too young for strong stuff right now.
The squash bugs are already showing up and the poor plants aren't even 6 inches tall yet. Killed 6 squash bugs today.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9112893

There' not much to that melonsquash story it just was one of those things.Could be some fun there knowing a few that cross pollinate though.

I've got some sugar pie pumpkins that volunteered,lot's of tree toads sit under or on there leaves during hot weather(remedies some of my bug problems,as they like all the melons)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9113867

I decided not to grow 4 pumpkins in the garden...only going to grow 3. I will be giving the 705 Lovelace more space for more leaves.
My soil is not rich and I will be adding commercial compost manure and rabbit manure to the patch out in front of the vines as they grow. I cannot afford to do it all at once and I will be using the rabbit manure as it is produced. ( 15 rabbits and 16 new babies yesterday) Everything will be one day at a time. I do need to till the chicken coop and shovel the soil and spread in the patch area. Nothing heavy...Just lightly.
The plants will be fed Miracle Grow Bloom Booster, Kelp and fish emulsion and of course the run off will seep into the soil. All will be diluted and fed three times a week. Regular strength divided by 3 which is close to 1 teaspoon per gallon. Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays. Slow and Easy.
The patch will have Calcium Nitrated added to it before the plants start to run. It will give the nitrogen and calcium time to seep in and it will be enough to last 3 to 4 weeks which is all I need for the growing season. By the time the high nitrogen is running out, the plants will be setting fruit at just about the same time=====good timing.

It rained a lot last night. I have to respray the area for bugs. (not the plants yet )

I found information last night about the Alabama record for giants. Current bama record is 534 pounds. It is the Alabama heat that I have to beat. (shade cloth)
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9114017

LOL! Good luck, Cricket, sounds like you have it all planned out.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9115634

http://oklahoma4h.okstate.edu/litol/file/plant/horticulture/GIANT_PUMPKIN_PROJECT_298.pdf

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9116013

About as well a pumpkin for hallowween is a 65 pounder I grew(yes I was so happy I actually weighed it)The little ones grandma made pies of,(Love the old fashioned baking,yes indeed)

It can be fun growing pumpkins!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9116184

I've got pumpkins growing all over the place
Somebody is sending me some better seeds so I can grow a fall pumpkin starting in June.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9117426

I'm glad your doing this again, Cricket! I remember following along the last time, great fun to watch.
Do you have customers that enjoy watching "the" pumpkin grow?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9117500

oh my goodness...yes. the customers and friends and people i don't even know use to watch the pumpkins grow but the plants were close to the road. I have moved my tiny patches out back except for one but it is still somewhat out of sight.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9117544

#1 The first seed to germinate - off by itself - had aphids on its first two leaves that caused them to crinkle up. No aphids now.(no history)
#2 Second seed to germinate - planted it in a 50 gallon barrel. (no history)
#3 Third and Fourth seed to germinate went into the garden.
#4 the Fifth is the 705 Lovelace.
I gave two plants away. One to a friend who has no idea what he just got himself into.
One to my sister...but she hasn't picked it up yet.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9117551

Then I have three giant squash...
I planted one under a mimosa tree in a natural shallow worm bed.

Oh and to top things off...like I needed another plant to grow, somebody is sending me some North Carolina Giant Cantaloupes.
I think this topic will end up a bunch of Vines growing all over the place. Not just pumpkins. Even giant watermelons and little ones and etc..
I don't have the patience to make 3 or 4 threads.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9119723

#1 Patch 10 days ago...with tons of weeds to clean out to widen garden.

#2 Today. Almost got it ready. Been raining a lot.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 11, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9119734

somebody sent me a seed from a 1650 pound pumpkin...w@w Dunno if i want to grow it for this fall or wait til spring next year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9119777

I have grown those North Carolina giants quash cantelope . There not as finicky as a giant pumpkin and they are a fairly heavy feeder though.

All in all your's is shaping up to be a really interesting melon garden,and this is going to be fun following along.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9124668

I am sowing the cantaloupes today...and another pumpkin seed. That 705 is extremelyyyyyyy slow.

This pumpkin plant is getting ready to take off running.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9131046

testing a photo upload...having issues with firefox.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9131048

firefox wont let me upload photos but internet explorer will. I just upgraded firefox to 12 so I could install an ad blocker.
flitter.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9136807

YEAH , for add blockers I just got to ex 9 and g chrome the new version and adds pop up all the time,Adds aren't all that bad unless or until your doing something and bam, your fouled in process.Gardeners don't like being fouled in process,and that's not nice anyway,like a bad hair day?
Hey Cricket;, when is the next update,? curious.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9136870

its your lucky day...heres the updates.

I started constructing this shade structure yesterday. didnt wear gloves...a few sore blisters. finished it today.

I Plead Temporary Insanity and I will be back to normal in a few months.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9136874

There is 2 giant pumpkin plants and 3 North Carolina giant cantaloupes under the shade cloth.
I'm not growing a "giant" cantaloupe. Will let the plants grow several fruits.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9136882

That is fantastic, Cricket. Great job! Wish I could cover the entire garden with shade cloth :)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9136894

I wish I had it over the entire garden but only had enough for the pumpkins and cantaloupes.

#1 pic .. the Holland mutt #1 off by itself under a shade cloth structure.
#2 Holland mutt #2 in the 50 gallon barrel ...under a shade cloth structure
#3 Holland mutt #3 under the large shade cloth structure in the garden

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9136899

#1 giant squash in 32 gallon trash can of soil.= very thick stalk.
#2 giant squash in an EarthBox
#3 giant pumpkin 705 Lovelace under the large shade in the garden. 8 days younger than the other pumpkins and it took longer to germinate.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9136900

HI Ya Cricket: Is that shade cloth the same that is sold as mulch mat, or is it something other.?

Could be I have some coming use for that myself.?? Nice looking melon plants, mine aren't anywhere near that nice this season.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9136905

a few other vines

the Carolina Cross just outside the shaded garden plot.
The Sugar Pie pumpkin in an EB= has a female getting ready to bloom.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9136914

I'm not suppose to post one word messages so I;m drawing this out some and WOW!!!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9136920

that is commercial shade cloth. heavy duty. 30% shade.
http://www.atlasgreenhouse.com
they will custom make any size you need

thanks cocoa

juhur, your season has just begun, They will jump up and sing real soon.

I been feeding mine fish emulsion and kelp along with the soil amendments and I put out some regular fertilizer and a little bit a calcium nitrate when I tilled the soil. It wasn't much though.

That liquid fish emulsion that you buy locally doesn't last long. I just ordered Soluble Fish Emulsion. I figured for the same price, I am getting 10 times more emulsion ...then i saved even more when i decided to buy 5 pounds of the soluble instead of just one pound. I saved $43 buying 5 pounds instead of 1 pound. 1 pound was $18. 5 pounds was $48 (12-1-1 npk)
In another week I will give the plants a bloom booster 0-52-34

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9136922

As of right now, the largest leaves on some of the plants are measuring 16 inches across. I get excited when they get 24 inches across
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9136929

I can already see tiny female buds on two of the pumpkin plants. The one in the barrel and the one off by itself and both will end up about 8 feet out for the first female blooms. I will pollinate all on the main vine and choose a keeper later on. I eat the females on all the side vines.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9137921

So i have this idea...Humor me Please. Forget for one moment that the only way to grow a giant is in the ground. Pretend the only way is in a Large container. I really want this giant squash to grow a big one. But at the moment it is in a shade house with commercial ground cover on the soil and it is growing in 32 gallon container. I think it would grow a much larger squash(green pumpkin) if I put it in the Shaded cantaloupe patch and let the vines take root to the soil? Grow amongst the cantaloupe vines freely. Since the cantaloupe vines will only be covering the soil area and not taking root but only taking up space, why not let the squash/pumpkin vines take root in the same area for more nutrients...etc... I am going to do it...just needed to talk about it. Yes! I know! My brain has issues.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9138068

LOL! Criket I think your doing great.

Go for it and good luck. Sometimes it helps to write about your plans first. I know it does with me. :)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9138361

I'm having a blast with these plants. This is the giant squash pumpkin in the 32 gallon trashcan that I put in the garden. Look at the leaf on that plant

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9151066

HOW'S IT doing these days? I have a watermelon vine blooming all sterile as early of course.
I miss the room to grow those big ole pumpkins and I too love those big ole leaves.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9151896

everything is doing pretty good. Lost one plant to stump rot.
One pumpkin plant is about12 to 13 ft long. Waiting to pollinate. the 705 Lovelace pumpkin finally decided it was going to exist and took off running. I am starting a few more large pumpkin seeds for a fall pumpkin. It will take the place of the one that had stump rot. :(
Lost one of the sugar pie pumpkin plants to stump rot. Have a few sugar pies growing on the vine. they are so cute.
The crimson sweet that I have in containers all have melons. The carolina cross melons havent started blooming yet. They haven't reached the kick off stage yet. Planted 4 Giant North Carolina Cantaloupes.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9153038

the main is about 13 ft long. the first 5 ft of plant has good growth on one side,,, the second 5 ft of plant has good growth on opposite side. weird.
Had a lot of rain recently. I have to start feeding the plants more often cause it's all leaching out.

bare side
opposite side

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9153050

I've only been posting on facebook recently. Grandbaby was born May 27 and had to watch other grandbabies. Niece got married May 31. Had 10 teeth pulled yesterday so I had a lot of chores to catch up on before that.

giant green squash in 32 gallon. A few storms tore the big leaves. Made it a ramp so the main wouldn't break. It did crack a little long ways but not side to side so all is good so far. When the secondary vines touch the ground, they will be buried and fed.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9153054

Here is the giant greenie in the 15 gallon earthbox. Right now I only have to water it every 3 days. It has a healthy female getting ready to bloom. Pollination is hard to set in the heat. If it sets, I will be very lucky. The first female is only 5 feet out on the main but it might pollinate cause we are not so hot right now. I don't expect anything big from this plant. It is just fun.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9153057

Here is a Sugar Pie pumpkin growing in an earthbox.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9153062

About the plant in the trash can. It is such a beautiful plant. I wish it was growing in the ground. I set the can on two boards so the bottom would be elevated off the ground a few inches so the bottom would get air but close enough to the ground that I was hoping roots would come out the bottom and take root into the ground. Soil was piled around the bottom to allow darkness except on one side for air. Hard to explain.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9153075

This is a pumpkin in the 50 gallon & is about 11 to 12 ft long. It has a female 10 ft out. The storms also tore the big leaves on it.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9153083

time to go clean the mess the storms caused. have trash blown everywhere.

here is the 705 Lovelace.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9166675

Well cricketsgarden; how ya doing, hearing it is about 100 or so degrees down your way.I imagine the pumpkins are a little unhappy with that .
I had two watermelons that tried to set,only with nights in the 50's they failed.Now after they have fallen off and no more little melons on the vines it is going to stay 70 degrees at night(go figure).Every time I miss optimum early melons I walk back from the garden either sighing or growling for ten minutes.
I never did get my sugar pie pumpkin planted and I have missed my window for that(sigh) ,next season.
As I am about done with some of my woes now, back to how is them-a -pumpkins? Are they-agrowin" right up to-ya and a sayin"howdy"
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9167916

The squash vine borers got my sugar pies but my growing season is long enough that i can start over and grow a couple in the big pumpkin patch shade structure to help keep the ugly evil things away.
Yep they are growing too well it seems. Vine tips were growing up into the air about 2 ft high during the day and falling over and breaking during the night. Too much nitrogen. One plant still has some hope. A main vine broke too doing the same thing.
Added a few hoops to the shade structure so I could walk in there better. The rain weighed it down and it just stayed in a sagging position.
The plants have massive leaves. They are so pretty.
Had lots of storm damage as well. It broke a lot of leaves but the plant still going and going. I finally have a female to pollinate in the morning but not sure if it will take due to high nitrogen and all the stem stresses. The node at the female developed a surface crack yesterday as the end of the vine was laying down . I had to cut the vine off just past the female to relieve the pressure and Hope that it heals itself. The female is very pretty.

1. the hoop additions----not pretty but better to walk under
2. the plant view before I put the extra support hoops in. and the plant vine on this end is the green giant squash that is growing in the 32 gallon
3. the female that opens in the morning

This message was edited Jun 16, 2012 5:58 PM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9167938

now...the giant green squash that is growing in the 15 gallon earth box is doing Great. It is very hard to get a green squash to pollinate even in the north...they are just picky plants. But guess what? When this green squash bloomed we got a cool spell with day temp at 80. it warmed up each day after that but the pollen germinated and we have a greenie growing BUT they normally abort before they are 10 days old...Technically have two days of nerves to go.
The greenie is 8 days old today and still growing great in my opinion considering that its growing in an earthbox and the day temps have been extra warmish. I am hoping that todays high and tomorrows high temps dont cause it to abort. The plant was only growing in the 15 gal earthbox up until the greenie squash was 5 days old... I had so much hope for it that I started adding 2 gallon pots of soil under the leaf nodes to take root and draw up more water and nutrients.
I will show all pictures in order. I took daily pictures but I will try not to post them all.

1. Greenie bloomed and was pollinated with it's own males.
2 It had 6 lobes... wow was wishing it was growing in the ground so it could grow bigger than what it will in that earth box.
3. 2 days after pollination (2 DAP)
4. 3 DAP

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9167942

1. 4 DAP sitting on 2x4 plank
2. 5 DAP sitting on 2x4 plank
3. 6 DAP graduated to 2x6 plank
4. 7 DAP 2x6 plank
5. 8 DAP 2x6 plank

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9167947

Now for the plant pictures.

When the greenie was 5 days old, I added all these pots under the plant vines leaf nodes. (26 pots)

1. a big view
2. close view at 5 dap.
3. close view at 7 dap.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9167952

I moved the wood planks and put 2ftx2ft styrofoam insulation sheets 3 inches thick under her today and I measured her around from end to end so I will know if she is still growing by day 10 and there after. She measured 23 1/2 inches around this afternoon at 8 dap.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9168052

wooow
I love to look at the pictures day by day !
Great job as usual !
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9168079

the Carolina Cross Watermelon in the garden has two melons that pollinated by bees a couple days ago but I didnt know they were there. They seem to be extremely slow at growing so I am not sure if that is normal or if the pollination did not take.???? Hubby does not want me to grow a giant watermelon. He wants several...I am undecided. But the plant does have about 50 feet of vine growing right now. I have located a 3rd melon but i don't know when it will be ready to pollinate...I know nothing about melons and this is the first time paying attention to growth.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9168085

the giant north carolina cantaloupes are just now getting big enough to see good in pictures. They have been slow too but we did have that cool spell for a week so maybe everything will start doing some growing this week.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9168123

Those all look just SUPER!!! Whether it is the big orange blooms of a pumpkin the way the melons develop I cannot say but there is just something about melons that make a garden seem right... (must be that spiritual thing)
No matter how many years I have watched ,grown melons or wanted to,I never seem to have enough ,MORE ..MORE ...MORE. Nice , nice ,circket... and it all looks so tidy and neat too, absolutely incredible!!!

Besides being astounded by the giants I agree the individual about them being delicious!!!!
WONDERFUL ...WONDERFUL ... WONDERFUL !!!!!! THREAD.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9168503

thanks juhur and drthor.

There is not very many people interested in melon growing. It takes up too much garden space so there is not a huge subject for it. It is a lonely hobby.
I still have the Carolina Cross plant growing in the 100 gallon container too. It has no females in site but it is still small. I think I want to grow several small melons on it and a giant on the one in the garden. Best of both worlds.

The greenie growing in the patch in the 32 gallon container keeps aborting the females. The temps are only going to get hotter so I think I am going to pull the plant and remove the container and sow a few sugar pie pumpkins in the space.

The pumpkin female with the cracked node bloomed this morning and I pollinated it with 6 males. She has 5 lobes= 4 large and one small. I will be pollinating a few more this week on the same plant but on different vines.

And the greenie growing in the earthbox is still shiny and still growing at 9 days after pollination. 25 1/4 inch round from end to end.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2012 4:19 PM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9168603

I forgot to mention the pumpkin in the 50 gallon barrel. The plant is not pretty but the pumpkin is growing fairly well. Not as well as I was hoping but that is due to the plant issues.

Bloom Day
6 DAP
7 DAP. today

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9168649

CG, may I ask if you've routinely tape the female flower shut a day before pollination procedure, as well as the many males flowers that you used to pollinate the female in order to prevent cross polination from others? Those look really good.

Thanks in advance,
Kim
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9169155

No. There are no bees in the Shade Structures where the pumpkins are growing. I know other insects might get in there and cross something but I havent seen other insects yet either. When I do close the pumpkin blooms, I use a string to tie the tips shut. I tie them shut also If there is rain in the forecast. I have grown pumpkins out in the open all the years before and I would tie the blooms the night before.
I was hoping to catch the carolina cross melon before it blooms again so I could put a netting mesh baggie on the males and females the night before they bloom. Their blooms are so small. The first two melons that pollinated totally caught me off guard. I didnt know it was ready yet.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9169306

Well about not many being interested, I wonder if giant contests and pumpkin chunkin,might argue that ,but I agree. Of 6billion people I doubt that many would time or effort that of interest.
Tying pumpkin blooms closed with string!!!!!! My goodness,... I could not be that delicate or dainty!!!!!
I did not know it took that many male blooms to ensure pollination,I had always been told two or thee was plenty.Soooo...Thanks for the tip and the lesson..
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9169415

3 males is the average. 5 is better.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9169673

I've missed my boat! I've one ornamental pumpkin vine that made 3 females flowers, they all aborted without my intervention. There are bees present. I'll need to learn how to pollinate quick! I'm so glad I've found your informative thread. Thank you CG for sharing your knowledge and joy of raising a garden full of healthy pumpkins.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9173417

your welcome.

did you find out how to pollinate yet?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9173418

the greenie has aborted---no growth on day 11 or day 12.
really bites.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9173472

Quoting: did you find out how to pollinate yet?
CG, I think I've the concept down in my mind. But, haven't had the opportunity to put in practice, lol. No female flower found on the vines as of now. Sorry to learn the 'greenie' has aborted. Goodness, it took that long to decide it wasn't good enough. Or is that the earthbox'es influences?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9173582

If I had seen something that large abort,I would gasp,sigh, and wonder who poisoned or ate the stem! Sympathy to you there cricket,that is indeed a ("dern it!!).
Nice and positive that there is sugar pie,and more growing season!!! "more time to grow all stars"!!!

As for my vines,20th straight day without rain and me,I don't like to water.I have one good looking Orangeglo vine.Everything else looks like...yeah well,could use some better weather also.94 today it's only getting hotter, similar to your weather(.I find that somehow odd).

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9173602

juhur7, whoa! 20th straight day without rain...!!! Wishing you some rain there. Yep, it's could be pretty hot down here, but we have had relatively mild spring. This summer is another story. At the meantime, I watched the bees working on my male flower, it really enjoying rolling in the pollens seems like.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9174790

Most tell me that if the pumpkin or giant squash makes it past 10 days then it will most likely make it. A lady up north says hers always aborted by day 9 and could never get a giant squash to grow. I won't be growing any more giant squash.

I just sowed more Sugar Pies and a few Jack-o-lanterns but I am growing them under the shade cloth away from the squash vine borers.

Watering. There are so many ways to save water in order to water garden plants so they dont die between rain falls.
Sometimes I run a lot of water in the kitchen sink while waiting for it to get hot. That's a waste isn't it. Milk jug helps out.
In the garden , I wait for the opposite. I run a lot of water out of the hose pipe waiting for it to get cooler so it doesnt burn the roots. I run that hot water into a 5 gallon bucket and use it the next morning after it has cooled off.
One 50 gallon barrel of rain water will water plants for a long while during a dry spell. Lots of folks run sprinklers in the garden and to me is a big waste. Just water the main trunk a few times a week. Let the rain cover the garden when it happens.
We haven't had rain in a little while. The grass is turning brown in some areas and some is wilting.
watering one cage of green beans a week is the same usage as flushing a toilet once. Pretend ...you had to go.

Nice Lily. gotta love the bees. Have you smelt the male blooms yet...so lovely! No wonder the bees come running.

The pumpkin growing in the 50 gallon container is 11 days old, 27 1/2 inch cir. and weighs about 10 pounds.
I am totally surprised that it is still growing at a nice pace cause the plant doesn't have very many leaves and leaves feed the pumpkin.hmmm.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9174797

The female that I pollinated June 17th above.

1. 1 DAP
2, 2 DAP
3, 3 DAP
4. 4 DAP

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9174806

here is one of the giant cantaloupe plants on this end.
and I sowed my sugar pie pumpkins in the 3 ft wide cages to save space. Let them climb the cage.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9174999

I have tried some giants before,my gardens just not the place to try,Will wait for a few trees to grow some before I try again. To sunny in summer to grey in winter.
I t sprinkled for about two hours this evening ,not much, but sure is appreciated...and needed!!

Nice pic's cricket, always enjoyed,and waitng to see more even as you post your thread.This is truly great stuff!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9175494

Well if this well television ,and this was the don't try this at home I would sure be in trouble.After watching a melon vine under a tree being about the only good vine and watching this thread, Crickets advice seems to have gotten to me:here's what I mean,This morning I did this?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9175499

This is what I meant.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9176715

What was the squash that aborted that you referred to as not growing anymore? as like a Dill's Atlantic, or did that actually say North Carolina giant squash? I have seen them referred to as either or as being Pumpkin or Squash.
Wondering...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9177459

the squash that aborted...giant green squash. I guess dills. If the color is green it is considered squash and if it is orange it is pumpkin. But the green looks just like a giant pumpkin.

I pollinated a watermelon yesterday. I had to use males from its own plant cause the other plant died.

Juhur, is that a giant melon plant or what? The shade structures looks great.

I know folks who shade the fruits with hay so the fruit doesn't scorch in the sun. Just a thin layer over the top. I plan to do that if I can get one to grow.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9177674

Cricket , it's Kleckley 's Sweet and they refuse to pollinate so far,not giants but they get big. I don't have the soil deep enough is my guess of some of my problems so far.If I could get one to go 100pds I 'd feel like I grew a giant.
So far i have had three fails at pollination and there will be a couple of more females to attempt during the next couple of days.One has set there with a bloom for four or five days and hasn't opened yet.That's something out of the ordinary for me guess about.So far, growing large melons has been a guessing game for me anyway.I can grow the usual without much problem, the giants are a whole another story or happening

The problem is everything wants to wilt and scorch in the garden so far, its been sunny, and hot ,and dry , way beyond a usual season this year.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9179700

It has been extra hot this week for us. Heat index above 100. Moms car said it was 108 yesterday. I kept shaking my head no in disbelief.

Juhur, I hope you get your 100 pounds. Nothing sweeter than reaching a goal.

I think I managed to get a few pollinations on the melon growing in the 100 gallon container. They doubled in size in 24 hours. The plant does get late afternoon shade cause it is sitting on the east side of a storage shed.

The ground is dry as a bone and no rain in the weekly forecast. I will have to water everything today...deeply...or everything will be a loss.

1. hollands giant pumpkin at 8 days after pollination. 21 inch circumference.
2. finally have a female bloom on the 705 lovelace giant pumpkin out about 17 feet.
3. 705 plant view... yesterday

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9179705

1. a leaf on the holland pumpkin mutt plant...28 inches across
2. a carolina cross melon that is 2 days after pollination
3. another view of the 705 female that just bloomed this morning with 5 lobes.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9180990

This is a wonderful "feel good" kinda thread,Just LOVE it!!... Those littlie dainty hands next to that "big ol" leaf.That is "SO CUTE"!!
Blooms and plants look really nice Cricket. Getting hotter here also,only 80 for tomorrow then near 100 the remainder of the week. (ShoooooWeeeeeee)!

This is my only good melon plant it is in a decor planter between Sunchokes West and a multi fruit tree East. The leaves are two to three times the size of a mans hand

Thumbnail by juhur7

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9181796

The heat index yesterday was 112 according to somebodys car meter...

I have never grown a pumpkin that had veins...veins that look like the veins on the top of your hand.
This little pumpkin has several and its kinda interesting and creepy. You can see a large vein on the bottom side of the pumpkin.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2012 9:51 AM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9182106

umm. I went looking to read the first post I made about growing a giant pumpkin.
Do you know how strange it is to read what you have written in the past...its like reliving it.
Completely different from just reading someone elses post.
I missed a lot of questions back then too. I was asking myself why didn't I answer...no idea. over looked it I guess.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/729033/
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9182404

It was still fun read tho, right up until its death, I was bummed all over again,lol

You know what I find funny, I posted on that thread, "I have no interest in vegetable gardening or growing pumpkins, just enjoyed you watching you grow them".
Um, that must have been about a year before the boys started eating me out of house and home,lol

Here are a few my early pumpkins and squash jungle from this year.

Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu   Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9182634

aww those are pretty and the okra is too...is that a Long Gourd in the middle?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9182718

My goodness, CG, thank you for refreshing my memory--what's left of it. LOL, I have forgotten how long it has been since I became a fan of your hobby. Was one then, still one now, funny how things changed but some remains constant. For me is the love of gardening. I must confess though; I should have mastered the pollination process by now, which I haven't practiced much. My bad!

CL, in my neighborhood we've a small shared/community veggies garden, just about your size of a garden. It's a joy to be able to pick fresh fruits/veggies right out from one's backyard.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9182827

The first pumpkin I ever grew was in 1967 a day a two ago for ya (LOL).Never have grown a nice giant though.I will try again though, especially after watching this and Cricket. None this year so I will watch and learn,maybe someday I will see the secret that makes it all make sense.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9183235

lordy Juhur...that was 45 yrs ago

this one pumpkin is larger and growing faster sooner than any I have grown and very happy with it. I have pollinated a few more on the plant but they have names...breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner for a batter and fry like squash.

I have a fall plant growing too but it is still young and just now starting to get some length but it hasn't laid down yet. 1230 Berchy plant.

1. 10 days after pollination on the holland mutt plant. 28 in. cir. 4 inch growth in 24 hours.
2. 2 days after pollination on the 705 lovelace plant.

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9183442

That's wonderful, juhur7. I wonder if everyone remembers their first pumpkin, like their first kiss.lol
I think I'm safe saying I'll never grow a giant pumpkin. It's more fun to let Cricket entertain me!
I do you enjoy planting giant cabbage plants tho, ever since the sent home seedlings with my kids.

Cricket, Those gourd looking squash are Tromboncinos, they can be eaten young as zucchini or grown out as winter squash.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9183492

I have some giant cabbage seeds standing by...I ordered them to grow back in the early spring but decided to wait til fall since cole crops do better in the fall here...but undecided on when to start the plants. According to the almanac, we will have cooler weather sooner this fall.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9183508

I'm going to seed mine mid July and grow indoors for six to eight weeks. That'll be the earliest I've started them, don't know if it'll help or not.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9183518

Cricket,
Thanks for that almanac tip! I was concerned about starting seeds inside too early, but, if it was too hot, or I couldn't get to the watering, I'd still be on time for resowing seeds beginning August 1st. But, if it's gonna be an early winter, I'm proceeding with my plan to sow cabbage seeds starting this weekend. 1/3 will be in flats outside in the shade of the patio cover, 1/3 will be started at the end of July indoors, and 1/3 will be direct sown in Mid-August.

Here's my story:

In 2007, a neighbor across my fence gave me 3 Bonnie giant cabbage seedlings the first year I had a veggie garden. I was an UBERnewbie. So, I planted them shortly thereafter -- at the end of May -- going into the scorching TEXAS HELL HEAT!

I had no clue...they limped along all summer, and I fought valiantly to keep them comfortable, still not knowing any better. At the end of that summer, when I was ripping all the raggedly vegetation, I looked at those pitiful cabbages that soooooooooooooo looked like they wanted to live, and I had mercy. I figured some nice fresh potting mix and some nice fresh fertilizer would perk them up...I had no clue, still...and, so, they continued to limp through our blazing summer.

At the beginning of the fall, I noticed they were looking a bit better. So, I repotted them again. One in a self-watering eBucket, and TWO in a large planter, side-by-side...I had no clue...

Well, they took off when the weather got cool, and shot out when the weather grew cold, and plumped up and greened up all through the winter. A miracle was happening! By the end of that next March, uh, yes, I did say next "MARCH," NINE MONTHS LATER, the cabbage worms attacked one of the two cabbages planted side-by-side in the large planter. Now, cabbage worms must be OCD, because they reduced one whole cabbage to a lace doily skeleton, and never touched the cabbage right next to it -- talk about singleness of purpose!

Anyways, one day after I had read a post over here somewhere about what makes a cabbage split, and how you have to cut it immediately if it does, we had a tremendous rainstorm. Sure enough, the perfectly fine cabbage I saw that morning in the eBucket had split by that evening, so I cut it down.

Here is that cabbage, almost a whole YEAR to the day I planted the seedling...

And, I had no clue...

So, Cricket, if you're starting them inside, you just go ahead and start those seeds in the next month or so, and you'll be fine. If you're direct sowing them, you can wait until mid-August or so, and keep sowing at maybe 3 week intervals, up until around the Winter Solstice. Ask me how I know...

Cause, now, I have a clue!

Hugs!

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 1:21 PM

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 1:23 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9183549

That is awesome, Linda.
I can't find any pictures of our cabbages. I did find the thread where we grew our first Bonnie O/S...I still follow Farmerdill advice on growing them to this day. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/815121/
Btw, that little tad-pole of a kid is over 6 feet tall now.lol

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9183584

Cocoa_lulu!
Thank you, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much, for the link to my original planting dates for the cabbages! I see now that the eBucket cabbage grew from February 2008 until I cut it down in mid-March 2009!

It actually grew for MORE than a year!

Hugs!

"We now return to our regularly scheduled discussion of PUMPKINS!" ^:-)^

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9183663

That is pretty neat Linda. I have saved rabbit manure and have some grow box frames (4ftx4ft) to set for a few cabbages. I hear and see they can grow 6ft wide. So...who wants to start that topic on Giant Cabbage??? with a picture profile.???etc...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9183667

oh, I have Nothern Giant Cabbage seed. They were very expensive. 5 seed costed me $10. I lost two of the seed and have 3 left. This is what i will be growing.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9183885

http://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/region/us/8
this is what I have been going by when I grow my plants, seeds, etc...
this link is my own region. At the graph at the bottom... shows below normal temps for fall.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9184399

I've been browsing the price of giant pumpkin seed and it seems to be getting there also.Really just looking through to see what is available, things go faster and change much quicker.Lots to choose from...Always about next season with me when I never even seem to get planted what I plan.(lol)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9184501

Thanks for that link Cricket!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9184627

Well...if I can get one of these big girls to grow...I'll have plenty of seeds to share.
And and I have a giant sunflower growing too...will have plenty of seeds off it too. It hasn't bloom yet. It is about 7ft tall. I'm growing for big bloom and not tall plant this year. I read they can get 24 ft tall if you feed them lots and lots of safe nitrogen..

11 days after pollination

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9184652

Cricket; I grew a sunflower that was 30 inches across the seed cone about six years ago.Those I can usually grow!...However all my sunflowers failed this year,a first ever for me and hopefully a last too!!! There was hardly any wind that year and I used a old water pipe for a stake when I grew that man was I happy !!.. even if the record is or was over 60 inches.Well way out of place,... I got it about half right (ROFL) !!!.
And Back to the subject ,what would you like perhaps for a few of the seeds you have?(counting chickens before hey are hatcthed) ( putting the horse before the cart)... BEG
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9184790

Tall Zinnias. Earthy toned sunflowers. Purple Green Beans. Cushaw Melon?? I hear it taste good. And I like the Banana Melon at Bakers Creek Heirloom. I am game for anything good.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9184886

I have seed savers Bannana melon and four or five others with no room to grow them. My garden is a city lot,not a field.
I've gotten edited twice typing here for repeating caps locks so I'm trying to take it easy this time,Fatigue from Sun senility, you know. May have some Cushaw and usually I have ice cream tubs full of zinnias,only this year guess what,I have one little stand of zinnias with about nine plants remaining.All I have there is a couple of dollar store production packets I decided not to plant as this is the worst year I have ever seen so far,And I've seen a few as you know.
I have some royal golden watermelons I tried to sprout ,from seed savers they failed also.Only the moon stars replaced them and are growing like the weeds usually do. Even the Tickseed sunflowers as weeds are frying crisp and failing, you know it is dry when even the weeds die from the hot sun.
I have a few successes though as you all do in a hot dry season and what are earthy toned sunflowers?
And as I take leave for this afternoon it is currently 102 degrees here, and remember this is Indiana not Texas!!
OH, or Alabama.Also this is really suppose to be a 5b zone.That 6b from me is by temperature.THANK YOU Cricket this is still a fun thread!

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9185113

earthy tone sunflowers= burgandy, orange, , brownish tones with a touch of yellow that blend through the flower petals. Autumn blends are nice too.

It's getting hot, even for us and the grass is drying out and the weeds have issues and weather channel says it here to stay for a couple weeks.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9185993

Not sure if I am growing giant pumpkin or giant stem.
12 days after pollination 36" CC.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9186004

Whoa! Giant stem in order to support giant pumpkin!!! Great going CG!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9186008

Oh wow, never seen anything like. How cool!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9186034

I know...its comically freaky

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9186069

Totally, radically, freaky! Way to go!!!!
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

June 29, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9186540

I must step in here and curtsey to all who grow those gigantic pumpkins! I am intrigued by them, but probably more so by your obvious insanity - jeese! (I am chuckling here in great glee)
If you all were sailors, you would surely have the wooden boats, which take constant care - but oh, are they WORTH IT! Just like your own efforts! Those sailors, by the way, are called "The Passionate Sailors." So, you must be "The Passionate Gardeners." Best of luck to all of you, and thank you for your great dedication to such an incredible "product!" Think about it - are you a wood or fiberglass person? I rest my case - LOL!
Oh, how I love to read your notes and see those photos! Makes my own garden, resplendent with all sorts of veggies, look a bit pale in comparison...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9187108

I was looking that stem with some envy,awe,and certain facinating wonder. I think that is one of the things about melons, everything you do always seems to bring something new and different.The melons teach and let you learn,they are always full of suprises waiting to say"take a look" "have you seen that before" always fun no matter what they seem to be.

Thank you for sharing as always!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9187432

its gonna out grow the chair shade very very soon. Gotta make a shade structure.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 30, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9187449

I could send ya mine from the pick (LOL) I had to rip out the vines this morning,vine rot and grubs to the roots did them in . Seems like I'm being negative only there are others and I'm contemplating next years,Holland giants, MayBe??

Question of how much soil improving I can do.

Oh yeah Hey Cricket what are Australian white squash really like? Any experience with them? I'm curious besides what I have read. I was reading that there are giants from some of those also.(WHITE SQUASH)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9188546

I really like Bone Meal and Cotton Seed Meal. and Gypsum and Lime.

I have never read about the Australian white squash. Never seen pictures either. Didn't know there was such a plant. Sounds interesting

I have to construct a tent for the pumpkin today...i cannot put it off any longer. It is a must.

14 days after pollination. 46 inch circumference.
and a better view of that freaky stem.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9188552

Wow, wow! How amazing that's! CG, stay cool as you work out in the garden today. It's real hot here. I spotted two female flowers on my reg. pumpkin vine this morning. One flower already open, the smaller one isn't yet. I'm gonna heading out there, and see about tie off the budding one to see if I can eventually pollinate the flower. Got to give my veggies a dose of fertilizer as well. I'm so glad to see the big one is coming along with your expert care. I'm sitting back and looking forward to your future posting.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9189982

wow...we were dry as a bone until a big heavy storm this morning...

side by side growth comparison from day to day and why it is so exciting.

Yesterday
Today

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9189991

Great pic!!! How big do you usually get them to grow? Go and grow for the 2000 and some pounds record!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9190262

I aint never grew one over 310. Something always happens to the plant while its growing...flood, fungus, squash vine borer...etc...

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9190358

Cricket, been following this thread since it started. But I may have missed. Do you have irrigation for them? Or do you hope for rain to water them?

I think they are already the size of my biggest pumpkin ever :) One of these days I will try to grow a real pumpkin, but certainly not here.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9191066

I manually water. During our 116* index days, I had to water every other day but i didn't over do it. The leaves never wilted either thanks to the shade cloth.

the patch has a little powdery mildew in two areas. All I can do is slow it down and hope for the best.( Daconil )

16 days old

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9191070

Cricket,
Do you turn the pumpkin to distribute the weight? I know NOTHING about growing pumpkins. But, I was wondering if people turn them to keep soft spots from forming?

Linda
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9191231

There is no way to turn the giant pumpkin. The stem is not flexible and the fruit is heavy. It would break. Where it rest is where it stays until the end.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

July 3, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9192117

Cricket - you might look into Neem Oil. It really seems effective against all sorts of gardening maladies, and is taking care of my own powdery mildew problems. And it has a bonus - it's organic.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9192492

Neem Oil for Powdery Mildew...wonder why that works.

side by side daily comparison

Yesterday
Today

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9192500

Wow, CG. I can only imagine the joy of watching the 'little giant' grows everyday in person. How mesmerizing that could be! Thank you for sharing the joy with me and others here on DG.

Happy July 4th and stay cool everyone.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9192533

So way back at the top of this there was mention of fertilizing with seaweed or organic fertilizer,While having some trouble without re-reading this entire thread, that I eventually will ,of course.How is the fertilizer program, and what are "we"(you) doing with the fertilizer.

Well if that doubles in size during the next few days you will be at the first 100,going for two! growing nicely so far!! May be a 1,000 pds. by Aug.1. Hopefully even two!!

Gracye
Warrenton, VA

July 4, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9192914

Crickets - Neem Oil is an oil, so it gets onto the leaf, and basically drowns the mildew. All I can say to you is that it truly has worked for me with my Jane Magnolias, tomatoes, and also Heritage Roses. But you have to keep a regular spray routine. I await my new sprayer right now - discovering Neem Oil has made me believe that I can defend against it well now! I send you my best!

Just give it a Google, and you'll find out allot of information about it. Sure works for me. I am in Zone 7a.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 4, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9193079

I was just about to ask how you manually water them but I found my answer further up the thread.

I am curious if they and how big are their tap roots/joint roots(not sure what they are called)...the roots that set along the vines. Do you water these as well as the main roots? Or does that even matter?

As far as Powdery Mildew, I was gonna suggest Sulfur dust, Copper spray or Neem. But in your heat, no way. You definitely would scorch the leaves. I've used http://www.greencure.net/ and other potassium bicarbonate products and can't say either way if it cures PM like they say. I just haven't used it enough to know but might be worth checking out.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9193204

I have used sulfur dust for minor things but i am allergic to sulfur so I have to becareful when I use it. Believe me...I wish I could dust it all with sulfur but i cant go there.
I cannot make myself go out into the public right now. ... can't go shopping so I have to use the daconil for now. Will try neem oil later in the future when hubby is home to shop for me..
(why i won't go out into the public?) I had my last 10 teeth pulled and one broke like chalk and it had to be "dug" out and left a crater in my gum structure. Anyway===personal dignity. I don't want to be seen and I don't want folks to watch me talk. I know , but I do care and have heard from other family members their opinions of what i look and sound like.

Ray...Yes, I feed and water all the vines that have rooted and they take root quickly and their roots can travel very far past the space of the plant itself. I feed the plant area and some feet beyond that until it has filled up the patch...and then I only feed and water the whole patch area. The roots beyond that will have to fend for theirselves.
I use a hose end sprayer to feed a few times a week. I haven't been able to feed lately cause my hose end stopped working but hubby bought me a new on a couple days ago. I am sure it is having a kelp withdrawl.

Never feed nitrogen during pollination and fruit set. They can and will abort.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9193224

I don't know much about growing giant pumpkins and this one is changing colors already. It's getting darker now and that makes me nervous. It makes me think that it is maturing quicker than it should. As they mature they get darker but I don't know at what stage that should happen.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9193915

cricketsgarden; Well it is difficult to grow giants, it can be even when they are not giants,especially when you do not feel well. Sometimes the garden will make you feel better after a short while though,don't lose heart, just get well ,things will work out.

I have had seven or eight times been in surgery since 2003, all except one ...have been since 2009, so I feel for you cricket , I know a little about what what i'm talking about,and about what you may probably be feeling.

As said ,just get well, you can talk with us when you feel better,And as for your pumpkins,this is a learn along session it? What some us learn might be worth passing back to you later. After all ..the people who grow those giant pumpkins and squash...They didn't learn how overnight, and for some it took years.

I am trying to refrain from being negative; although... the darker a pumpkin gets it is usually near ripe,I have grown enough of the usual and tried a giant or two often enough to know that also. I have seen a few giants that had gotten pretty dark and kept on growing though,and even a few green ones that stayed green as ripe,it happens.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9194355

CG, I'm so sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Well wishes are sending your way. I'm here if you would like to talk, only a dmail away... I didn't get to pollinate my female flower for one reason or the other. I just don't have an excuse. I just wanted a pumpkin, and it doesn't have to be a giant one. lol. Like juhur7, and many others who are cheering for you ... I'm here.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

July 5, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9194541

Crickets - YIKES! Reminds me of when, in High School, my wisdom teeth had to be pounded outta me...now, if you were a horseperson, I would remind you that everything is as it should be - your barn is clean, your horses lacking nothing, and you're at the bottom of the heap, likely the hosses got stuff WELL before you did...LOL but true! And, in true spirit, your house is a MESS. But you can eat off the barn floor...

But you have punkins, and I am in awe. Heal well, and quickly, dear gardener. I'm on antibiotics right now due to a doggone tick bite (HORRIBLE tick season here in Virginia - I can't go outside until I'm done with the medicine), so Hubby is our gardener these days. God bless him - he's a champ!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9194549

ty...but I am much better now... i still wont go anywhere yet. I still have bone fragments pushing out of my gums and one was like a machete.

some giant pumpkin growers told me that some pumpkins that will turn out dark orange will start turning colors early...some do, some don't.
as long as it is shiny, smooth, growing, then its not maturing.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9194552

OUCH Gracye and I hope you get well soon too. Don't ya just hate those antibiotics that require you to stay out of the sunlight?

Husbands can be Heroes

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9194559

Quoting: Husbands can be Heroes
I'm with you there dear gardener. Those are keepers! Speedy recover to you both Gracey and CG.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9195034

I leveled the pumpkin yesterday with sand and the sand will help it slide better than that ground cover.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9195039

Color of the photo looks like that is going to be a Really "BIG ONE"!!! " growing, growing ,growing, keep those pumpkins growing", Cricketsgarden.

I would add music if I knew how (lol)
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9195198

Oh Cricket, I hate hear your feeling poorly, you too Grayce. It stinks not feeling well during the summer. I hope your both on the mend soon :0)

The pumpkin looks fabulous Cricket, so much fun to watch grow. How do you keep from giving them a personal name?lol The bucket/pumpkin photos just amaze me at how fast they grow, really puts it into perspective.

I just harvested our 6th pumpkin, which is a record amount. The SVB just doesn't seem to be a big issue this year in the pumpkin patch. Yay, for the small miracles.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9195339

So sorry about your setback. I think you've been a real trooper to keep going with the pumpkin, as well as keeping us posted on your progress. I'm praying the pumpkin (and tooth) journey will be well worth the pain!

And by the time the pumpkin is ready, YOU'LL be ready to sink your (new?) teeth into one FAN-TAS-TIC pumpkin pie!

Hugs!

Linda
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

July 6, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9195701

Thank you all - Hubby weeded our veggie garden yesterday and picked 10 count 'em, 10 ticks off! I found that they can easily go through the washer, and the dryer, too.
Doc told me that I will be photosensitive for about a week after my last pill, so all you gardeners - be careful! There are three nasty tick diseases...I bet those buggers hide in the pumpkin patch, too!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9196230

LOL Linda ;) pumpkin pie is soft :) as long as i don't eat the crusty edge. I had pumpkin pie the other day (canned).

Just wanted to show you how the pumpkin pushes on the sand as it grows. The sand was smooth surface yesterday

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9196238

Oh wow, apparently it's growing and growing! Thanks CG for the photo.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9196525

oh...how do i keep from giving them a personal name???? I thought of names but not officially. The plant has no historical family tree so I thought about calling it Mutt cause that is what I call the plant. The Holland Mutt.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9196572

A pumpkin animal rescue garden? ! coooooooooooo-ooooool !!!!

Well I liked it..(lol)
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

July 7, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9196876

Crickets -TOTALLY COOL! You know, one time, I was looking at my Morning Glory and I ACTUALLY SAW IT SHOOT OUT about an inch! No joke! I bet if you stand next to it, you'll experience the same thing, the way that thing is enlarging away...! Wow! So impressive.

As far as a name, now, is it a guy or gal? If it's a gal, I suggest "Princess Pale Moon." It's kinda eery, and still a lady...and full, like a full moon, and the color is pale...well, it's just a thought.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9200220

the color is darkening. The growth is kinda slow. I been cutting the ends of the vines this morning in hopes to put more energy into the pumpkin. It should start to grow more in a few days as the energy is shifted...I hope.

23 days after pollination.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9200223

I'd call it "Big Foot..."

VERY large footprint there...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9200227

This is a stem view on July 7th.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9200291

I was remembering about some old melon growing that applied to pumpkins besides a few other melons,How about I run it by ya and see if you have ever heard any of this?#1 Either B.soda or nitrogen as a leaf or fruit spray one slows down ripening the other speeds it up#2.I know that both salt type things and nitrogen can cause ripening to happen to quickly.That is as to info about when the plants begin to set on fruit,as root application.

I have experience with either only can't remember the first.

I know from experience the second is true.I'm believing something about the type of potassium as it is salts is playing a bigger role than the nitrogen or phosphorous. So from that I am wondering about salt absorption.
HEY cricketsgarden; How about another round of a soil and water discussion,how's yours and what is it doing these days.
As always Cricket, "That pumpkin" is fun to watch!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9200347

I haven't been watering much. And it is dry around here. We got one nice rain a week ago and a sprinkle a couple days ago. We keep getting thunder and lightening storms but no rain. We have 30, 40 and 50 percent chance of rain all week but if it's anything like this past week with 30 percent chance that had no rain then I gotta start watering this pumpkin more often.
I haven't been feeding the plant any nitrogen until two days ago and it was only fish emulsion and the reason I did that was to see if the fruit would pick up some speed on growth. I have been feeding it kelp once a week. I should feed it more. I have not been following my original feeding plan. I got lazy during the heat drought. The plant did great under that shade cloth during the high temps.

I need to cut off the ends of several more vines this evening and feed it a mild dose Kelp . I havent give the plant any salt based fertilizer the whole time it has been growing. I only used 13-13-13 as a pre-plant broadcast a couple months ago.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9200350

We've had rain three days in a row.
Rain scheduled for the rest of this week.
And, we're having a cool front, with nights averaging 78°!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9200674

im in trouble.
i wanted to know exactly how much to water one plant and I figured by this information below that my one plant needs 44 gallons of water a day. I want to faint.

info found on net...
12. WATERING. Giant Pumpkins require approximately 1 to 1 ½ inches per week. The amount of water required can vary greatly depending on soil type, temperature, humidity, time of year, etc. Once you get a feel for your patch you can better adjust to your own watering needs. But many growers need a good starting place. To cover a 1000 square foot garden evenly with 1 inch of water it takes 623 gallons. (1 gallon = 231 cubic inches) That’s a lot more than many growers might think. This is 89 gallons per day, or 178 gallons every other day. For 1 ½ inches of water per week it takes 934.5 gallons per week, or 133.5 gallons per day, or 167 gallons every other day.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 10, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9200682

YES MA,AM ! There is customer out front with a "BiG GLASS"

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 10, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9200712

"44 gallons of water a day"

Good Lord! Those numbers are mind boggling!! Time to dam up the nearest stream :)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 12, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9202848

Isn't the truth! Time to dam up the nearest stream ... if Critket has one nearby. Best wishes CG.

Guys, on July 5th Gracye wrote " Horrible ticks season here in Virginia ... " Well folks, I'm being worked up for tick's bite as of now. Treatment is underway while awaiting for lab's result. Everyone needs to take care ... There has been increased cases down here too.

CG, we had some rain as of yesterday, have you got some? It's been tough with the drought.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9203348

Yep. Finally got some rain...two days ago it started raining and it hasn't stopped much since then.

The pumpkin is at a snails pace . I am not completely sure why. But since it is so slow , Im gonna start feeding the plant some Miracle Grow Bloom Booster. I am wondering if it ran out of nutrients in the soil, or possible vine rot somewhere. I'll feed it as soon as the rain lets me.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

July 13, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9204097

Lily - Just got my lab results yesterday. No problem. Unbelievable, as I had a mess of a week with a bite that got that dread "Bulls Eye" look to it and the itching, well, kept me up at night. Finally, I decided that, after the initial bite on Monday, and it being a Friday, I just could not go through the weekend like that. So, went to the Urgent Care. Got on antibiotics right away. Doc was truly impressed with the bite site - the red was like a ripe tomato, and about 4" wide by now!

I went to my regular doc on the following Monday after the Urgent Care visit-did the responsible thing. After two weeks on the antibiotics, and it taking that long for your body to build antibodies, bloodwork can be taken. Then another week about for the results...so it takes time to figure this stuff out.

Weird thing - the site cleans up and then reappears, so you think that you're on top of things and guess what. This is what concerned me, besides the unrelenting itching.

I think that getting on the antibiotics right away did the trick. I do wish you the very best, Lily. I got tested for three diseases, and found out that a friend of mine was diagnosed with doggone Menengitus (sp) after being RUSHED to the ER three weeks after (the hospital told her this time span) a baby tick got her - she did not know it happened, but after a time, the "Bulls Eye" appeared. And went away, and being a horseperson, well...

Also found out at church that 3 others are/were on drugs for tick bites. One guy is on THREE, including weekly shots in the bu__!

So this is why I am telling the tale, I HIGHLY resent the fact that ticks seem to have gotten very diseased, and I can no longer just rip 'em offa me and go on with Life. And all of YOU are in the same boat.

Ticks hate light-colored clothing. They LOVE water. So watch your garden, if you are regularly watering it. And watch around bird baths, and spigots. I had three fall off of my sweet little dogwood tree onto my shoulder, go into my shirt, and attach to my shoulder. Nice, huh.

I ask you to please give this subject SERIOUS thought.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 13, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9204128

I do, I do take it very SERIOUSLY. Gracye, I'm so very thankful that you've shared your personal experience. Now that you've mentioned that
Quoting: ... ...a friend of mine was diagnosed with doggone Menigitis 3 weeks later ... a baby tick got her - ...
. In my case, it must have been a baby tick's bite as well. For beside the prominent "Bulls Eye" on my shoulder and the unbearable itch that keeps me up at night, there was no evident of tick hung on my skin anywhere! GRRRRRR!!!

Cricket, I need to pay more attention to my pumpkins progress. I'm glad you've mentioned of fertilizing them. I'm pretty bad at not giving my plants fertilizer in a regular basic. Especially those that produce flowers and fruits. I'm looking forward to see how "Mutt" aka "Big Foot" aka "Princess Pale Moon" does after this record heat and drought under your personal TLC. (tender loving care).

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9204821

All the TLC didn't matter. The pumpkin has officially stopped growing. I visually cannot see why. Everything looks good. No stem splits, no blossom end rot. No cracks where I can see. The plant is healthy. No wilting.
Yesterday was the last recorded growth and estimated 141 pounds. disappointing but ...life goes on.

The 705 Lovelace plant will bloom tomorrow. Daily temps are around 90 so I am hoping the pollination takes.
The 1235 Berchy plant will bloom in a week, hopefully. I did not feed these two plants like I did the Mutt plant. I had
a lot of hope in that mutt so that is where I put all the energy.

Pic = The Mutt yesterday. I will take one more pic when it has been cut from the vine.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9204831

I am growing these North Carolina Giant Cantaloupes but I wasn't trying for a giant yet. I am learning the plant habbit.
This one is about 20 days old give or take and weighs about 15 pounds. They grow on the vine 35 to 45 days.

I keep forgetting to say==========so sorry for all the tick bites. that has to be horrible.

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9204859

Ticks give me a major case of the hebbie-jeebies ever since I learned they will jump out of trees to land on you..that's just not right. Glad everyone caught their symptoms early and being treated.

Cricket, I know it has got to be a disappointment, but WOW, 141 pounds is still quite the accomplishment!
Are you done with it or do you wait for the vine to die back?
Have you ever scratched a message into a pumpkin and let it scar over? Might be fun to leave a message for the customers :0)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9204864

I was wondering if you had ever given any consideration to trying a couple of you plants as "hog melons" . Like cross pollinating your mutt plant with the Carolina cross or the two previous with the N,C,giant.

The other was using the everyday hybrids to cross with the giants as to technique.The idea behind that being that you get a giant fruit that feeds like the everyday little fruit while it grows giant.I t is also suppose to adapt to your particular soils , conditions ,etc.
The biggest I ever grew was that 82? or 62? pounds,so all I am saying what I have read mostly, Only I have grown the N.C.giant before and they seem to enjoy the hot weather that we do not.There were the hog melon crosses of course, and they did get pretty big some of them. I should have kept some seeds and tried again. Just thought I would ask you about some things I have read, tried, or have considered before.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 14, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9204871

I forgot; sometimes they will stop growing and start again, make sure it is ripe,experience and time,Cricket, it will all come together eventually. And nice pumpkin!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 14, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9204887

Wow, nearly 150 lbs.!!! Hey guys that's heavier than me! I an't going to lift that thingy by myself that's furrrrr sure. lol. Thanks CG, it's quite bothersome especially when your whole body itches and not much can be done about-- but wait for the antihistamine kicks in. But, the implication for non-treatment is truly horrible! Hubby found one on him yesterday while he ran on the mountain. I'm watching him like a hawk for signs that the thing did get to him before he's aware of it.

I'm with juhur7, to paitiently wait for any changes with "Mutt" before you cut the cord loose?

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 14, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9204909

I will wait a few more days before I cut the cord. I would love to remove the plant after that but the other plant has criss crossed into this one. I will probly just cut it back on one side to make room for the cantaloupes and sugar pie pumpkins to spread out.

This will be my last year growing giant pumpkins. I will only grow regular pumpkins in the future and with all this work of setting up protection from squash vine borers, It has given me hope for regular squash in the future. All my squash plants were killed out by squash borers this year. I could grow a hefty crop of yellow squash. I should have enough time to grow a few plants and get a nice harvest before Frost.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9205525

Congrats on the pumpkin! It has been a wonderful adventure.

I truly get the gut feeling that "Big Foot" is just taking a breather and is simply not through growing. We'll see in a few days, eh?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 15, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9205712

2 days of no growth, zip, zero

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9205781

We need to set up a tag "Grow, dirn it!!!" next to "Mutt". lol AKA "Big Foot" AKA "Princess Pale Moon". lol, lol.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9206581

Cricket,
Sit a pie pan next to her. If she thinks she's about to become dessert, that should convince her to keep growing!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9209394

It grew a just a tiny bit and up to 145 lbs. I recon that was a hiccup. It's turning dark orange. That is so strange how it started slowing down to nothing and started ripening so early. I don't know what made it do that. Wonder if there was some field pumpkin genetics in there. Oh twell.
gonna get hubby and son to take that pumpkin down to the co-op this saturday and weigh the darn thing...if it doesn't grow anymore this week.

meanwhile= that giant cantaloupe is impressing the heck out of me. over 8 pound gain in 4 days. 39inch circumference. 23.6 pounds so far and she aint through.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9210287

I don't usually., But I told ya so!!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 18, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9210386

Tehehehehe, lol juhur7. After all there was a net increased of 4 lbs. isn't it? A wobby four pounder!!! Yes, yes. So you may repeat that "I told ya so!!!" x4 lol.

Oh BTW, Gracye, you did say that your test result came back. But was possitive or negative you didn't specify. Mine was negative. So go figure! I'm befuddled to say the least. Not knowing where the rash originated from? But, all and all I'm pleased that I didn't have the dreaded disease. Phews!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9210445

Yeah a little humor about the pumpkin, and it was fun to watch,always prayers and many a thank you to Cricket for that!! ; the only thing Is, I was mostly referring to the Giant Cantelope loving the heat.Earlier in this thread I mentioned the G,C, really did and does do better in the heat and of course they do!! (i've grown a few)
Pumpkins like the cool gloomy weather patterns,only the humidity sometimes in Alabama is all they get.
I've got a bundle to learn yet, about the melons, and I am learning some here.Some being reinforced and some being new.
That G.C,is a cross of a heat loving squash,and a slow ripening Cantelope,especially in hot weather the G.C. will sometimes never ripen at all, It will grow till it is to cold to grow anymore,Mine grew for three or four months,and of course, Cricket's has already surpassed any of mine?
IF all goes well that G,C can grow 30 or so pounds a month or more!! My last attempt was about 20 pds or so and it grew that in a couple of days and then fizzled.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9211478

no growth yesterday or today on the pumpkin

the cantaloupe is up to 27 pounds...estimated. It's growing about 2.5 pounds a day now. Slowing down.

the giant sunflower has started to bloom this week. I have no idea how long they bloom for til mature.

pollinated a pumpkin on the 705 plant. I'm not excited about it. My excitement has faded.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9211500

Hi ya Cricket; Mine slowed at 20 and faded,your's is slowing down at 25to27 so I'm guessing the "trick" involved in getting them giant is right there at that weight. I don't know it. but I bet it is an overlook that is right there looking at us.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

July 19, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9211509

Lily - negative test results - and like you, weird. I thought FOR SURE...!

Do you all EAT these big beasts? Or are they just the ultimate growing experience?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9211608

I would love to have pumpkin pie but im not sure its gonna be mature enough to get much flavor from the giant pumpkin and afraid after letting it sit this long with no growth, I am wonder if it will sour by the time I get around to pulling it out of the garden. My problem is ===i have no patch way to wheel it out of there.
I was told the giant cantaloupe tasted Great and that was from the man who sent me the seeds from his 27.5 pounder.
I cracked open the blossom split cantaloupe and it smells like Cucumber...but also unripe.
I hope the giant cantaloupes taste good cause they are growing all over the place here. (5 plants)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9211616

Well Cricket; if you like squash Cantelope they're not bad,They have to be good and ripe if they're the Carolina Giants.

Personally I did not care for the taste of them,I'm picky about good melons and I only like a few of the squash.Yeah . I know,silly me.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

July 19, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9211662

Ditto Gracye, all I can say is that I'm glad it wasn't serious, whatever it was. My rash and the itching was the most uncomfortable. The symptoms all subsided after the course of 1 week of antibiotic. Whoa! I could have been out there in the gardening and try to pollinate my pumpkins instead. lol.

Wooohooo, CricketsG. We all need to come up with some good recipes to make the best of "Mutt".
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012

Post #9212413

estimating 30 lbs. it is the North Carolina Giant Cantaloupe

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9212621

Giant Cantaloupes
I think hubby dropped a pair of wire cutters on this one the night before I took the first picture... He's not gonna tell me he did.

July 15th
July 17th
July 20th

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9212633

another giant that I am watching.

July 16th...my little Torpedo.
July 17th...I wanted to see a day to day growth comparison
July 20th...Torpedo is shaping out and had to scoot it back over onto the wood plank.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9212636

I know nothing about sunflowers!!! Anybody know how long they bloom for. I have caught some info that makes it sound like it blooms for about 2 weeks.
sorry for those who hate details. I document most everything daily.

July 19
July 20

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9212673

They bloom a long time ,like till frost ,from the time they begin. I wish I had some pic's of some of mine,only I didn't have a camera or anything at the time. Enjoy them they will be with you a while.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9213231

Gracye and Lily, happy to hear of your negative results..whew!

I'm confused, nothing new:0) If I'm following the conversation correctly, the melons never stop growing, but they are still edible. They continue to grow after they are ripe?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9213357

I too,, was was glad to that Gracye and Lily were not going to be in for any more difficulty than they were already having!
I get a little slow about saying what I mean, sometimes it takes me while to reply.

cocoa; They will grow a while when they look like they are ripe,when melons first turn, they rarely are ripe though,you have to give them or watch them a few days to see if they are done.

Cricket; What kind of fertilizer did you use for the sunflowers if any? I am a curious sort!! I will post here how I grew my 30in. Half WR size when I am a little more clear of mind. The only thing I ever got giant was a sunflower.!!

And buy the way there,Cricket, How be the toofers?(teeth) Feeling any better are we?

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9213412

wow juhur...your sunflower was 2 inches short of being world record...right? or was it world record?

my gums are healing great. Have a few bone fragments trying to surface out the front. After those(2) surface, I can get some teeth end of Aug sometime.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9213430

The first thing is to say good that your healing well,I wear a full upper plate.I know what that is like,ouch, oochee, ouch ,and so forth.
The world record sunflower the last time I looked; was approx 72 inches and was grown in Alaska.That is six feet across the seed cone(Huge of humongous!!!)
So my little sunflower that I could hardly carry or control was really only a little half pint,(lol) Something I may have heard was that it is now nearly twice that, To me that is UNBELEIVABLE!!! Could you imagine a 12 foot bloom!!!.

I realize that sunflowers can get big but my goodness that makes ya wonder!!!! If I would of weighed in, photo and documented mine, it would have been near a state record, I believe ours stands around 40 inches.

When I do that,, I do that for me!! A selfish I !!?... such as unto myself a spiritual thing.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9214451

12ft bloom...no way...cant imagine. I haven't found anything about a 6ft wide sunflower bloom. My google isn't pulling it up. All I have seen is the Multi-blooming sunflowers that spread 6ft wide. The largest single bloom I have found is 32.5 inches.

giant cantaloupe is up the 46 inch circumference and estimated 34 lbs.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9214742

O k, Cricket; 321/4 1983 is all I kind find now myself , Here ya go How I grew that (I have witnesses}.

worked in two shovel fulls of manure
common dollar store vege and bloom time release fert.(this is 1/4 to 1/2 cup worked into the planting whole.
Small amount of osmocote for flowers( sprinkled and worked in after plant begins to grow) like preen or something.
One jobes tree spike (break or cut spike) half on each side. 10 TO 14 INCHES from trunk
Watered at guess with pitcher filled with small end of scoop of miracle grow with straw full of ammonia added.(about a small eye- dropper full)Discretionary as watering when needed

That wouldn't win me any organic or exact technique awards only there is how I had grown that. There are other newer records somewhere!. I think it had to with the tree spikes (what normal mind with think of growing sunflowers with tree spikes)? Does this mean I know I"m weird?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9214919

I wanted to add with giganteus or mammoth ,I've grown many 18 to 25 inch blooms that way. The compost and timed release fertilizer would get you there, only I'm believing the nitrogen and tree spikes reacting at optimum growing time is the largest or larger result.
The optimum growing time you of course will have to guess as to where you are at.

With osmocote it takes it while to start working
The DS fert, can burn.

I've grown them with only with compost and miracle grow , they did get large but nothing near the 30 inch or more size.
The combination there you will have to decide and manipulate the items for you and your growing conditions.I would imagine trying a tree spike ,compost, nitrogen fertilizer of your choice one season would tell you what to do when compared with this info.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9214974

Next year I plan on growing a giant sunflower just outside the chicken coop were all the rain washes the chicken litter juices. :D In hopes for a tall sunflower.
mean while...i just gotta nurish this bloom with some kelp and stuff.

They need a giant veggie topic around here.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9215564

Hi ya cricket; Maybe we can make a trade when I get to gathering next years seeds? I am considering something besides the DS seed because they failed so badly this year. May be a few of the hybrid and different varieties to see what takes this hot weather better.The Mammoth Russian liked it a little cooler than it has been.
Even though I usually grow for the giant bloom,the taller types will be in the list,I always liked growing giant sunflowers and room or space is not an excuse,always room for one or two.
This has been a first year without any in at least a decade.I like the chicken coop idea, I imagine the chickens will really enjoy a sunflower seed or two!?

Something like that, for a couple of the mutt & Carolina seeds. I will be looking forward to your next update and your progress.,and I agree a giant vegie forum would be useful of possibility!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9215669

End of Mutts short Life.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9215699

sigh); Sadness

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9215724

Sooooooooo very sad...sniff...sniff...
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9216707

Sorry, Cricket, It's still a great pumpkin. I'm choosing to think of it as a mini-giant!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9218128

The cantaloupe is measuring 48 in. CC. estimating between 36 and 41 pounds. Alabama Corp. Ext. office is checking to see what the state record is = if there is one.

one cantaloupe measuring 38 in, one is 35 in

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9218222

This time I will only say and wish you (HOPE)!!!!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9218695

ok
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9222794

The cantaloupe is near 40 lbs. 50" circumference.

Another at 42 in. CC
Another at 36 in CC

Sunflower is about 13 days old and the seedy center is 15 inches.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9224950

Lots of storm damage to garden plants. Giant sunflower was partially uprooted. Greenhouse poly ripped off.
Cantaloupe still growing.

Pollinated a large pumpkin but not sure if its gonna make it after all the plant damage.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9225006

My cantelopes have no sets, all I've got this year is a couple of little WM.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9225799

that is cute. It looks like a shiny green christmas tree ball.

I haven't looked at the cantaloupe this morning. The one that has the giant is setting more fruits and the giant is about 42 lbs and its not ripening yet.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9225971

I know it is not in keeping with the thread bu the drought has played with my vegies.

this is from this morning; Three or 4 times larger since it rained last night, pic doesn't show the diff.

Thumbnail by juhur7

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9227279

I didn't grow a giant pumpkin, but I surely grew a giant cantaloupe.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9227281

Yes...the dry hot weather has destroyed many crops around here. Big fields of melons have shriveled to nothing. The farmers are very upset.

good luck with your melons. Just gotta water them yourself during drought.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9227302

Okay!! AND A WAY TO GO GIRL!! How about the final weigh in.? I s that melon as heavy as it looks?say 64 pds? 82pds?

And; All I knew was that those melons like that hot weather, And that one did!!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9227336

45 lbs

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9227459

Wow!!!! Congrats CG. The dry hot weather has been terrible. Did you get any rain from the last thunder storm this past Sunday night onto Monday morning? We've gotten alot of flat floods around here.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9227512

Yes. Had a long hard rain with strong winds. Look like a thousand miniature tornadoes flying around in the rain. It tore up a lot of plants. I think it also surfaced my newly sown carrot seeds. I just sprinkled another thin layer of soil over the carrot bed in hopes they germinate under the soil.

That was the fastest ripening melon I have ever seen. It was light green yesterday and by this morning it was yellow. I thought it was going to take a few days. Good thing I checked on it this morning. The stem had started to separate from the melon.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 2, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9227537

I must say, CG. Yours is the largest cantaloupe I've ever laid eyes on! Great job. I must be jumping with joy to find it's ripen so quickly...over night. Whoa! Oh, do tell how sweet its flavor is? I'm munching on some ripe cataloupe -- and dreaming of taking a bite out of that big one! I love melons. DH prefers apples and oranges over melons, but melons are my things. lol
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9227802

medium sweetness but it is a mild sweetness closer to the rind. It had a really strong cantaloupe aroma. I have heard different info on its taste and I think that just has everything to do with the soil. Mine was sweet.
I have heard that giants don't taste good. ...again...the secret is in the soil.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9228106

I have an off topic question, please.

I know you're supposed to keep certain fruits like okra picked in order for the plant to keep cranking them out. Does this hold true for bell peppers?

I ask because I must be growing miniature veggies. I've left them on the plant for what I think is long enough for them to get LARGE, but, it ain't happening. So, I've decided what the average size is, and will be clipping them off at that point.

Does leaving them on cause the plant to slow/shut down production, thinking it's finished?

Thanks!

Linda

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2012

Post #9228188

Bell peppers are a small tropical tree ,think of them as a crab apple that grows in poor soil,they keep producing all the time.Then again of three or four times I've grown them,only one ever produced to the size it was suppose to ,like yours many were small.water ,nutrients, temperature, who's to say?always with the weather factor.

Hey Cricket.that's great your's were edible, mine were sour and flat,I'm a little envious!(LOL) Fun and table goodies too!!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9228222

bells...the first on the plant always grow larger cause they get the nutrients first. The rest above that are smaller. I have grown some really big bells but I grow the type that grows large bells.
The plant slows down to a snail crawl when the plant is loaded with bells cause the nutrients is going into the fruit.. So yes, after you start cutting the bells off, it will start growing again and putting out more blooms to produce gain.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9228378

Thanks, Cricket!

I thought I had finally ordered seeds for some really big bells, which is what I have been desperately trying to get. I guess I ordered the wrong type of bells AGAIN...

Any tips on LARGE bell peppers would be truly appreciated. My plants are getting tall, and they continue to put out blooms. Everything I've read says NOT to fertilize bells, cause then I'll get lush foliage and very little fruits.

I'm about to give up on trying...please, any further advice is worth your cantaloupe's weight in gold!

Linda

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9228706

STATE RECORD FOR PUMPKIN HERE IS 1,139 PDS 2010
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9229180

I fertilize bell peppers regularly with normal recommended regular dose until it is loaded with bells, then I fertilizer lightly but regularly until I have picked most all of them and then I start normal dose again until it is loaded...etc.
I also have to shade the plant in the late afternoon when it is loaded with bells cause they scorch in the heat like toms do.
When you prepare your soil, add 2 to 3 tbs. of bone meal and lime...lime just like you would for tomatoes.
I also like to water with a little kelp occasionally.

I grew 2 peppers that weighed 1 pound. each this year.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2012 8:25 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9229368

Wow!!!!!! That's what I want to do!!!! Thanks, Cricket!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9229538

that was
Super Heavyweight Bell Pepper (hybrid)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America