Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Tomato Starts

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 13, Views: 124
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9110159

In past years, I've just purchased tomato starts, but this year I am trying to do some heirloom seeds. I thought to give them a good start by using those Jiffy tomato greenhouse things that came with pellets you soak in water. Most of the seeds germinated. YAY! But what happened is they shot up with thin stems and most have fallen over. A few are now getting the 2nd set of leaves. I have no idea what is going on with the roots. Would it be wise to try and repot these and get most of the stem under the soil? If so what would be the best method?

If variety matters for your responses, we have Amish Paste, Nebraska wedding and Sweet Pea Currant (Cherry type).

I really want these things to make it.
Thank you for any help.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9110177

Leggy tomatoes are caused by not enough light. Yes transplant them with them buried all the way to their leaves. I'd also handle them by their leaves and not the stem. If you damage a leaf it will grow more. If you damage a stem them the plant is a goner.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

May 4, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9110179

It's more than likely a LIGHT issue. I'll bet the lights are far from the seedlings. You need to keep the lights a few inches away from the top of the seedlings.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9110807

Thank you for your replies. We had set them at a window. They are repotted now as you suggested Doug, with only a couple casualties. I tried... We just started some new ones. And now we have a growing light on them.

We've never used a growing light before. Should it remain on all day and night?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9110837

16-18 hours on is probably better.

Mine never wrote a letter of complaint when I just turned the light off when I went to bed, and on when I got up.

If it's flourescent, it's worthwhile doing a faiur amount of fiddling to keep the tubes as close to the plants as possible - and refelctors around them are good, too.

If incandescent bulbs - don't get close or they'll burn!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9125938

I am finally getting back to this. The bulbs are fluorescent and the light was moved down. And we've been turning it off over night and they look well. So does all the other things the children are planting. We've got maple trees going in the house! :)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 16, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9126088

I've got squash and cukes blooming in the house...

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9126942

I turned off my lights yesterday - everything, including non-edibles are now in the garden.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9127082

Ok, Bee,

I'm right behind yah...

My PVC seed starter trays actually work outside, so, come mid-June I'll start sowing seeds for the cabbages, broccoli, and cauliflowers. This'll be my first attempt at starting seeds outdoors.

And, I found five more drawers, so, if I can fit 25 tubes into each drawer, that'll be more than enough seedlings to get me through the fall/winter, yah think?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...with my track record, all the seeds germinate...that's 125 seedlings...which equates to 125 sq. ft. of growing space...

I'm gonna need a bigger box!

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9127849

GG, just a word of advice. You can try starting your cool weather veggies outside but many of them germinate better under cooler temps. June would be the time I'd start my warm weather seedlings for Fall, those could probably be started outside. My cool weather Market Plants don't get started until August and I'm 2 regions North of you so I would think you could start yours later because you get cold later. BUT if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9127862

lisa,
Thanks for the advice. This'll be my first time, so I need all the advice I can get!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9128177

Gymgirl - something I've learned about starting seeds outside in containers - don't let them get rained on. Heavy rain will wash out your potting mix along with the seeds.

If you have a place with an overhang that gets enough sunlight you'll be fine, especially if the rain doesn't get in.

I started broccoli seeds in ground on Sept 8th last year. They were transplanted Oct 16th. Cut the first head Nov 16th. You can adjust your dates accordingly.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9128692

THANKS, Bee!!!

I discovered something about herbs and rain. I have some herbs growing in the PVC tray. Only the Chamomile and one Rosemary seedling have come up. Basil is doing absolutely NOTHING!

The tray sits under an overhang, but last week they got misted (at least) by some of the heavy rainstorm we had. My Chamomile that was just a 1" sprig jumped up to a 4" plant in 2 days!!! I'm thinking NITROGEN???!!!

All I could say was "WOW!" Same for that Rosemary seedling. It was about 1/2", and after the rain it jumped up to ~2".

Linda
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9129150

GG-I'm wondering about your Basil, I have 8 varieties this year 3 started indoors and planted out as a clump. I started them in aluminum cup cake pans, divided them into 1/4s and stuck them in the ground. Basil likes heat and needs temps above 65* to germinate in a reasonable amount of time. What type are you growing?

Chileybean-sounds like you did fine. A couple casualties is just the way it goes. I would also recommend that you put a fan near your seedlings or run your hand over the tops of your tomato plants a few times a day. This encourages thicker stems the fan keeps the air circulating too. Have you grown NW before? I've grown it before but never got more then a couple tomatoes per plant and they took forever. I hope you have a better experience.

When do you plan on moving the MapleTree outside? Good Luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America