Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Help with Sassafras Trees

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 4, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9110407

I just got some seedlings that are growing in a large pot for now. I want to move then to a sunny spot out front. All I read says they prefer acidic soil - opposite of what I have. A quick Google lists many ways of trying to change the soil ph. Pine needles (which I have LOTS of,) coffee grounds, iron sulfate, spaghum moss, etc. What do you suggest I try? I'm ok zone wise and could make a point of keeping them wet when it is dry here but will the soil ph keep them from doing well?
JCalhoun
Saraland, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9116078

What does your soil test tell you?
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9116105

I have a PH of 7.2 in general - bit lower some places, higher others. Sandy soil, no clay.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9117198

Scroll down to Growth Requirements in the enclosed link:
http://www.gardenguides.com/taxonomy/sassafras-sassafras-albidum/
If you can locate a large area that has a pH no higher than 7.2, you might be able to meet it's soil pH requirements. Changing the pH of large areas permanently is not possible. You can change it temporarily,but it is an arduous process and you would always be playing catch-up as the root system grows.
gasrocks
Portage, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9117277

Cool link, thanks. I have more than one 2 yr old seedling. Perhaps I will try them in different spots. Have my fingers crossed.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America