Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Daily photos Vol. 439

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Welcome everyone, we came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253582/

Please join us by adding your photos and comments on this new thread.
I'll start off with my adorable Tree Swallows.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

I forgot to tell everyone I really loved all their photos on our last thread.

Here's one of my Ash-throated Flycatchers, a Black-headed Grosbeak, a California Towhee and a photo through the window of my rare sighting for the third time this year, a Calliope Hummingbird (each has stayed just an hour or so and then they're gone).

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful start to the new thread Duc. Wonderful shots.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Beautiful!! Love the grosbeak!!

oops! I really did mean to post a couple of photos...oriole and red-bellied woodpecker. Then 2 crows out enjoying some peanuts! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful shots duc! I adore that second Tree Swallow shot! Your really having some great bird visitors.

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Nanny, Love that Red-bellied Woodpecker!

Palmyra, MO

Great shots Duc and Nanny - Great start to this thread.

Here are a few Finch pictures and my first Hummer that visited on the 2nd.

Thumbnail by sprout13 Thumbnail by sprout13 Thumbnail by sprout13 Thumbnail by sprout13 Thumbnail by sprout13
(Zone 5a)

Lovely Tree Swallows, ducbucln. We think they nest near the creek, but have their silly cousins, the Barn Swallows, trying to build a nest on top of our front door again. This location does not bother me at all, but it eventually bothers the birds. They do this every year, but abandon it because of all our activity. Even when we avoid using the door, we still have to get to the front yard for the mail, tend to lawn and pretties and of course the children play.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the comments on the Savannah Sparrow, Purple finch and Indigo Bunting. You guys are really kind. My pictures are not so great lately, but you still find good things to say.
lol GG, can you still get parts for that old broom of your? The Purple finches are still waiting for you. I just love the large derriere of your Doves. Nanny, poor you, you missed it! The Indigo flew the coop. :( Gone, poof, just vanish into thin air, no more to be seen. :((
Chilly yay for your Doves, it's time they stand up to the Grackles. Here,the Grackles bullies all the birds, the Dove also if they are on the feeder or the tree. But they are allowed on the, ground with them.
Great photos of the Robin at the pond, Sprout.

Savannah Sparrow, messy Hairy WP, A.Goldfinch, A. Robin, Chipping Sparrow.

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007

Nice pictures Sprout and Nanny.

Yes Burn, I can still get parts for my old broom--it is ME they no longer make parts for!! LOL I love that messy woodpecker shot. Too cute.

Palmyra, MO

Great shots burn. I love the messy woodpecker too, so cute how he is standing. Great angles on all your pictures.

PERTH, Australia

Beautiful start to the new thread, duc. The tree swallows are so sweet. Wonderful little Calliope.

Burn, I agree with the comments on the last thread about the indigo bunting. Simply stunning. And I love the messy hairy.

Nice shots, nanny.

Welcome, sprout13. Your'e posting some wonderful bird shots.

Finally, we've had a bit of rain and the local lake has some water in it, after being dry for several months. Most of these shots are from at least several days ago. First two shots are of an Australian white ibis, third is a straw-necked ibis, then a magpie lark and fifth, a distant shot of a nankeen kestrel.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

A stilt with a magpie lark in the foreground, then another stilt. Willie wagtail. Last two are a flock of little corollas making a racket as they few past.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

A small family of western magpies at home. The grey one to the right of the image is a juvenile. I'll finish with some Australian pelicans, complete with black swan in the last shot.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Duc for a nice start of the thread with those adorable Tree Swallows. Love that little Calliope hummingbird, and I especially like those Flycatchers' hairdo. Nan, love those shots of the Redbellied wps, is that a female? Enjoyed the Crows as well. Margaret, love, love those Pelicans and others all beautiful shots. I like the Magpies with their juvie and the flock of corrolas in flight.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

1. Redheaded Woodpecker. 2. Great Blue Heron.

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love

Wonderful shots. Margaret, love the Pelicans.

First is a Blue Jay; Female Cardinal; three Blue Jays.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt
Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Nanny, your photos of the oriole and wp are cute. That first one looks like they're both trying to decide what they want to eat. Love the crows too.

Sprout, great photos of the goldfinch and congrats on your first hummer.

Chillybean, sorry the swallows pick the wrong place to nest.

Burn your photos are great! The sparrows sure are pretty and that wp is a cutie. That robin blends so nicely with the surrounding colors.

Margaret, glad to hear you got some rain. Wonderful photos of all your birds. Loved that straw-necked ibis and the eyes on that magpie lark are so pretty. Your pelicans are just spectacular.

Lily, great catches on your beautiful red-headed wp and heron.

Granny, I love the blue jays-so many colors of blue on the. Great job with that pretty cardinal too.

We've been seeing a pair of bald eagles chasing each other for several days now. The eagle in the third photo has a good sized bass. Next is a lesser goldfinch, and last is one of two regular visitors, a nuttall's woodpecker.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Lakeview, OH

Looked out the camera and look who I caught, our first photo of a hummingbird of 2012! I sure do love this camera that my hubby gave me, it really takes close up shots and they are clear too. Going to have to put up the other ones now, were just waiting to see if they were going to come back and they did!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats teddy of your hummer. Duc, some terrific catch of the Eagles! Nice nuttal wp and the lesser Goldfinch.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

My cat Teddy suddenly froze in place, when he realized he wasn’t as big as the Raven he was stalking.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Klamath River, CA

This series of pics were sent to me. Don't know the species of bird.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

and

Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

fin

Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat

Love those Eagles Duc.

Wow, love the nest builders Adel, fantastic.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wow, those are one fantastic series on the nest builders!!! Thanks Adel.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Teddy, congrats on the hummer.

Gras, your furbaby is so cute the way it's looking at the raven.

Adel, I got that email too. Whatever species that bird is, it sure goes to a lot of trouble to build a home for the family.

We finally set up our solar fountains and this female brewer's blackbird was the first to enjoy it. Next is a house finch, a hooded oriole, an oak titmouse and a dozen cedar waxwings flew past me-thought they'd all left the area.

This message was edited May 8, 2012 4:04 PM

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Lakeview, OH

Look who has been drinking from the hummingbird feeder today. Am very glad to see this colorful bird.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Teddy, you have you a Baltimore Oriole there!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from adelbertcat :
This series of pics were sent to me. Don't know the species of bird.

A Rufous Hornero Furnarius rufus; from South America.

Resin

(Zone 5a)

A couple feeding birds. The first one amazed us, a Dickcissel in the platform feeder. We never heard of or saw such a thing before. Except for a juvenile last year, they usually stay clear of the house. Do any of you have Dickcissels come to your feeding areas?
We enjoyed this Clay-colored sparrow one day last week. A few of them came with the White-throated sparrows. We sure would have liked them staying here to eat more of the Cabbage beetles.

Thumbnail by Chillybean Thumbnail by Chillybean
Klamath River, CA

Thanks for the ID Resin.

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Teddy, congratulations on your oriole.

Chillybean, that sure is a pretty little sparrow.

Here's a house finch, an ash-throated flycatcher and a bewick's wren.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I don't know how I missed the start of this thread! It's so awesome too!

Can't comment on all, but great job.

I've had a number of warblers this week as they pass through. Someone IDed this as a female common yellowthroat, though it seemed bigger than the males I've seen. In any event, here it is getting ready for a bath.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
(Zone 5a)

Mrs. Ed, She is a pretty little thing.

Today, I was about driven mad hearing the male, but never spotting him for a picture. I have one from last year, but it wasn't very clear. I have a better camera now, so am trying for better shots of some of my birds. Oh, but that little fellow, he'd be right over my head.... And to make it worse, I was under that tree, knowing he's there when my youngest comes out and said the Yellowthroat was perched right in front of the window. Grrrr.....

Not a great picture, but here is one of my favorite birds. (Oh, it's so hard to have A favorite as I enjoy about all of them except for those I don't like- Cowbirds, HOSP, Common Grackles. Grackles got some bad marks for harassing the nesting Brown Thrashers making them abandon their nest) Oh, but back to this happy bird, the Bobolink. The grass pollen allergy sufferers are going to suffer through this year so these birds and others can nest successfully in our pasture.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

OH those bobolink are fun. I see them at Nachusa Grasslands when I'm on my butterfly monitoring route.

South Hamilton, MA

My allergist says the winter with little snow has meant fewer allergies. He is suprised as the rest of us. could that mean fewer spores of plants deposited in the winter? does it affect the birds?

(Zone 5a)

Iris, I asked my husband about this and he did notice that he hasn't had any issues, but then peak for him and one of my children would usually be the end of May. He did say that if there is less pollen, there would be less seed, so in that way it could effect the bird's food sources later this year.

South Hamilton, MA

Heard then saw a flicker in the garden this afternoon. I hope that it hits the best ant spots.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Adel, I find the nest building very interesting. they are really hard worker!!!

I saw the Baltimore Oriole, but he didn't come to the feeder. And I was expecting the Ruby-throated Hummingbird yesterday, he was a no show. This is what I have to share from the pass few days.

Mom Pine Sisken brought her newly fledged babies to the feeder, this is one of the fledge.
Then some Mourning Doves decided to have a siesta in the Spruce Tree.
I got another very nice surprise from a female Indigo Bunting this time. At first, I thought it was a female Goldfinch. I had found it odd, that she was feeding on the millet all the time. And I found her a bit brownish for a GF. I only realized it was a Indigo Bunting after I downloaded my pictures to my PC. She had some light streaking on the flank.
A new arrival is the Rose-breasted Grosbeak. He has been around for the past few days.
The Savannah Sparrow is still mingling with the other Sparrow.

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.