-
AuthorContent
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9110422

Welcome everyone, we came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1253582/

Please join us by adding your photos and comments on this new thread.
I'll start off with my adorable Tree Swallows.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9110430

I forgot to tell everyone I really loved all their photos on our last thread.

Here's one of my Ash-throated Flycatchers, a Black-headed Grosbeak, a California Towhee and a photo through the window of my rare sighting for the third time this year, a Calliope Hummingbird (each has stayed just an hour or so and then they're gone).

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9110452

Beautiful start to the new thread Duc. Wonderful shots.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9110479

Beautiful!! Love the grosbeak!!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9110484

oops! I really did mean to post a couple of photos...oriole and red-bellied woodpecker. Then 2 crows out enjoying some peanuts! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 4, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9110507

Beautiful shots duc! I adore that second Tree Swallow shot! Your really having some great bird visitors.

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Nanny, Love that Red-bellied Woodpecker!
sprout13
Palmyra, MO

May 4, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9110647

Great shots Duc and Nanny - Great start to this thread.

Here are a few Finch pictures and my first Hummer that visited on the 2nd.

Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9110713

Lovely Tree Swallows, ducbucln. We think they nest near the creek, but have their silly cousins, the Barn Swallows, trying to build a nest on top of our front door again. This location does not bother me at all, but it eventually bothers the birds. They do this every year, but abandon it because of all our activity. Even when we avoid using the door, we still have to get to the front yard for the mail, tend to lawn and pretties and of course the children play.

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

May 4, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9110853

Thanks for the comments on the Savannah Sparrow, Purple finch and Indigo Bunting. You guys are really kind. My pictures are not so great lately, but you still find good things to say.
lol GG, can you still get parts for that old broom of your? The Purple finches are still waiting for you. I just love the large derriere of your Doves. Nanny, poor you, you missed it! The Indigo flew the coop. :( Gone, poof, just vanish into thin air, no more to be seen. :((
Chilly yay for your Doves, it's time they stand up to the Grackles. Here,the Grackles bullies all the birds, the Dove also if they are on the feeder or the tree. But they are allowed on the, ground with them.
Great photos of the Robin at the pond, Sprout.

Savannah Sparrow, messy Hairy WP, A.Goldfinch, A. Robin, Chipping Sparrow.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 4, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9110952

Nice pictures Sprout and Nanny.

Yes Burn, I can still get parts for my old broom--it is ME they no longer make parts for!! LOL I love that messy woodpecker shot. Too cute.
sprout13
Palmyra, MO

May 4, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9110980

Great shots burn. I love the messy woodpecker too, so cute how he is standing. Great angles on all your pictures.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 5, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9112179

Beautiful start to the new thread, duc. The tree swallows are so sweet. Wonderful little Calliope.

Burn, I agree with the comments on the last thread about the indigo bunting. Simply stunning. And I love the messy hairy.

Nice shots, nanny.

Welcome, sprout13. Your'e posting some wonderful bird shots.

Finally, we've had a bit of rain and the local lake has some water in it, after being dry for several months. Most of these shots are from at least several days ago. First two shots are of an Australian white ibis, third is a straw-necked ibis, then a magpie lark and fifth, a distant shot of a nankeen kestrel.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 5, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9112181

A stilt with a magpie lark in the foreground, then another stilt. Willie wagtail. Last two are a flock of little corollas making a racket as they few past.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 5, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9112186

A small family of western magpies at home. The grey one to the right of the image is a juvenile. I'll finish with some Australian pelicans, complete with black swan in the last shot.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9112354

Thank you Duc for a nice start of the thread with those adorable Tree Swallows. Love that little Calliope hummingbird, and I especially like those Flycatchers' hairdo. Nan, love those shots of the Redbellied wps, is that a female? Enjoyed the Crows as well. Margaret, love, love those Pelicans and others all beautiful shots. I like the Magpies with their juvie and the flock of corrolas in flight.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9112364

1. Redheaded Woodpecker. 2. Great Blue Heron.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9112415

Wonderful shots. Margaret, love the Pelicans.

First is a Blue Jay; Female Cardinal; three Blue Jays.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9112568

Nanny, your photos of the oriole and wp are cute. That first one looks like they're both trying to decide what they want to eat. Love the crows too.

Sprout, great photos of the goldfinch and congrats on your first hummer.

Chillybean, sorry the swallows pick the wrong place to nest.

Burn your photos are great! The sparrows sure are pretty and that wp is a cutie. That robin blends so nicely with the surrounding colors.

Margaret, glad to hear you got some rain. Wonderful photos of all your birds. Loved that straw-necked ibis and the eyes on that magpie lark are so pretty. Your pelicans are just spectacular.

Lily, great catches on your beautiful red-headed wp and heron.

Granny, I love the blue jays-so many colors of blue on the. Great job with that pretty cardinal too.

We've been seeing a pair of bald eagles chasing each other for several days now. The eagle in the third photo has a good sized bass. Next is a lesser goldfinch, and last is one of two regular visitors, a nuttall's woodpecker.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

May 6, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9112797

Looked out the camera and look who I caught, our first photo of a hummingbird of 2012! I sure do love this camera that my hubby gave me, it really takes close up shots and they are clear too. Going to have to put up the other ones now, were just waiting to see if they were going to come back and they did!

Thumbnail by teddy_8905
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9112834

Congrats teddy of your hummer. Duc, some terrific catch of the Eagles! Nice nuttal wp and the lesser Goldfinch.
Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4a)

May 6, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9113044

My cat Teddy suddenly froze in place, when he realized he wasn’t as big as the Raven he was stalking.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

May 7, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9115080

This series of pics were sent to me. Don't know the species of bird.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

May 7, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9115081

and

Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

May 7, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9115083

fin

Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9115296

Love those Eagles Duc.

Wow, love the nest builders Adel, fantastic.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9115509

Wow, those are one fantastic series on the nest builders!!! Thanks Adel.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9115519

Teddy, congrats on the hummer.

Gras, your furbaby is so cute the way it's looking at the raven.

Adel, I got that email too. Whatever species that bird is, it sure goes to a lot of trouble to build a home for the family.

We finally set up our solar fountains and this female brewer's blackbird was the first to enjoy it. Next is a house finch, a hooded oriole, an oak titmouse and a dozen cedar waxwings flew past me-thought they'd all left the area.

This message was edited May 8, 2012 4:04 PM

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

May 8, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9115592

Look who has been drinking from the hummingbird feeder today. Am very glad to see this colorful bird.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9115762

Teddy, you have you a Baltimore Oriole there!!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9116242

[quote="adelbertcat"]This series of pics were sent to me. Don't know the species of bird.[/quote]

A Rufous Hornero Furnarius rufus; from South America.

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9116300

A couple feeding birds. The first one amazed us, a Dickcissel in the platform feeder. We never heard of or saw such a thing before. Except for a juvenile last year, they usually stay clear of the house. Do any of you have Dickcissels come to your feeding areas?
We enjoyed this Clay-colored sparrow one day last week. A few of them came with the White-throated sparrows. We sure would have liked them staying here to eat more of the Cabbage beetles.

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

May 8, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9116301

Thanks for the ID Resin.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9117212

Teddy, congratulations on your oriole.

Chillybean, that sure is a pretty little sparrow.

Here's a house finch, an ash-throated flycatcher and a bewick's wren.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9119662

I don't know how I missed the start of this thread! It's so awesome too!

Can't comment on all, but great job.

I've had a number of warblers this week as they pass through. Someone IDed this as a female common yellowthroat, though it seemed bigger than the males I've seen. In any event, here it is getting ready for a bath.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed   Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9119698

Mrs. Ed, She is a pretty little thing.

Today, I was about driven mad hearing the male, but never spotting him for a picture. I have one from last year, but it wasn't very clear. I have a better camera now, so am trying for better shots of some of my birds. Oh, but that little fellow, he'd be right over my head... And to make it worse, I was under that tree, knowing he's there when my youngest comes out and said the Yellowthroat was perched right in front of the window. Grrrr...

Not a great picture, but here is one of my favorite birds. (Oh, it's so hard to have A favorite as I enjoy about all of them except for those I don't like- Cowbirds, HOSP, Common Grackles. Grackles got some bad marks for harassing the nesting Brown Thrashers making them abandon their nest) Oh, but back to this happy bird, the Bobolink. The grass pollen allergy sufferers are going to suffer through this year so these birds and others can nest successfully in our pasture.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9119873

OH those bobolink are fun. I see them at Nachusa Grasslands when I'm on my butterfly monitoring route.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 11, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9119922

My allergist says the winter with little snow has meant fewer allergies. He is suprised as the rest of us. could that mean fewer spores of plants deposited in the winter? does it affect the birds?

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9120286

Iris, I asked my husband about this and he did notice that he hasn't had any issues, but then peak for him and one of my children would usually be the end of May. He did say that if there is less pollen, there would be less seed, so in that way it could effect the bird's food sources later this year.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 11, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9120288

Heard then saw a flicker in the garden this afternoon. I hope that it hits the best ant spots.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

May 11, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9120447

Adel, I find the nest building very interesting. they are really hard worker!!!

I saw the Baltimore Oriole, but he didn't come to the feeder. And I was expecting the Ruby-throated Hummingbird yesterday, he was a no show. This is what I have to share from the pass few days.

Mom Pine Sisken brought her newly fledged babies to the feeder, this is one of the fledge.
Then some Mourning Doves decided to have a siesta in the Spruce Tree.
I got another very nice surprise from a female Indigo Bunting this time. At first, I thought it was a female Goldfinch. I had found it odd, that she was feeding on the millet all the time. And I found her a bit brownish for a GF. I only realized it was a Indigo Bunting after I downloaded my pictures to my PC. She had some light streaking on the flank.
A new arrival is the Rose-breasted Grosbeak. He has been around for the past few days.
The Savannah Sparrow is still mingling with the other Sparrow.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 11, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9120591

Wonderful shots, everyone. Burn, that's a lovely shot of the mourning doves all lined up there.

Went to Pelican Point on the Swan River this morning. First, a black swan coming in for a landing on the marsh behind me, then a Caspian tern (the largest of all terns), a white-faced heron and a hoary-headed grebe

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 11, 2012
11:45 PM

Post #9120593

Pied oystercatchers. Little black cormorants and silver gulls working the river.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 11, 2012
11:56 PM

Post #9120594

Red-capped plover, crested tern and then a pied oystercatcher with red-capped plover in front to show size difference and a not-too-crash-hot photo of an osprey with a fish.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 11, 2012
11:59 PM

Post #9120595

Last, a great egret, which was cooperative for a change.

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9120677

Great shots everyone.

Margaret, love the great egret having breakfast. Great shots.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 12, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9120680

Thanks, GG.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9120860

Mrs Ed, love your little yellow-throat.

Chillybean, your little bobolink sure looks happy.

Iris, glad you hear a flicker. They do love the bugs.

Burn, how lucky you are to see the p.siskin fledges. Congrats on the new arrival and the bunting.

Margaret, great photos of all your birds, especially that egret.

I found a bushtit, some wood ducks, a pied-billed grebe and a western grebe.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 12, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9120914

Excellent shots guys!

Margaret, Love the Oystercatchers and Egret!

Duc, Beautiful Western Grebe!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9121272

Great pics. everyone, Duc I like all your birds, but especially like the Wood Ducks, terrific photos Margaret. When I saw this Egret, I thought of you and your birds. Burn, how nice to have the Rose Grosbeak! Chillybean, I have not seen a Bobolink in person. IrisMA, I didn't know Northern Flicker will go after ants. Will they eat the ants or just their eggs?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 12, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9121628

I think that they will eat the actual ants.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9123570

Lily, love your beautiful egret-it looks so natural just sitting and enjoying the view.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 14, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9123577

Our male brewer's blackbirds are so pretty when they're showing off for the females.
Next is a pair of house finches, a lesser goldfinch, a bullock's oriole and then a hooded oriole.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 14, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9123864

Great shots guys! Duc, Love the Blackbird and the rest.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9124259

Well, I thought I saw a quail in here!

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9124672

We finally have hummingbirds!! Besides being first of the year, they were in our yard!! I assume these are Ruby-throated. We had the male the two days before.

And they have wings! LOL Because my first pictures were taken on a cloudy evening, you couldn't see the wings.

The first picture, I was standing maybe 4-5 feet away giving myself warbler neck when I hear a low-pitched bzzzz. I thought it was a massive wasp at the feeder and I was ready to bolt. I hesitantly turn around and got a nice surprise.
This little miss had no fear of me at all. Was she fed by someone down south?

The second one was taken a little further away. I tried the setting that takes 8 pics in a second. This was my favorite of that set.

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 15, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9125023

Hope that the quail chicks hatch all right.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 15, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9125413

The little quail will be fine, I had a nest about three feet from this location last year in a large scented geranium.
I put the leaves back in place after I took the picture. I could hear the mom in there this evening when I went out to water my flower
garden. She couldn't have picked a better spot, it's the one plant out there that the sprinkler doesn't hit. I have no problem letting the ditch
lillies languish until the little chicks are out!
I found another nest today in a hanging bromeliad. I think these are finches. The mom was having a fit when I came over to hang another plant
next to hers. They have nested in there before too. There is going to be lots of baby birds in my yard!

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9127420

Chillybean, congrats on the new hummers.

Domehomedee, it sounds like you'll have lots of chicks running around.

Here's one of my younger scrub jays, a couple of the mallards, and an oak titmouse that lost the tail feathers but is doing fine without them.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 18, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9128181

Beautiful shots guys!

Duc, Love that Scrub Jay!

Chilly, Congrats on the hummers!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9128497

All these bird pics inspired me to get out the old hummingbird feeder. I had three juveniles buzzing me yesterday in the yard and one that was sitting in a bush closeby bathing himself in some water held by a leaf. They seemed like nest mates to me the way they were playing. I wonder if they will find the feeder this year, they never found it last year. So I decided to hang it near a cardinal climber seedling that will eventually grow up and make a good natural feeder for them.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 18, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9129165

I love your waterbirds, duc. The male wood ducks are fabulous. Nice catch of your western grebe.

Lovely shot of your egret, Kim.

I have a few shots from this morning to add. First off, a couple of shots of a rainbow lorikeet, then an Australian pelican, and a couple of a red wattlebird.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 18, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9129168

White-cheeked honeyeater and a fairy-wren. I'm not certain which one it is, but I think it's a male red-winged fairy-wren that is just starting to get its breeding plumage.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 18, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9129171

I finally managed to get some shots of the red-tailed black cockatoo. Look closely, you're seeing a bird that is rapidly progressing to extinction in the wild because of habitat destruction. It's heartbreaking to be seeing them where we are, in the city. They're here because they are starving and there is not enough food for them in their natural habitat. Nothing sadder than seeing these beautiful big cockatoos feeding on the seeds of the Cape lilac, a tree introduced from South Africa. Developers and governments have a lot to answer to.

First shot is of the female, then the male, then the two together, followed by the male leaving his perch and last, the male in another tree close by.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 19, 2012
12:57 AM

Post #9129198

Wonderful shots Margaret!
That is so sad about the red-tailed black cockatoo.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9129358

Duc, love the oak titmouse that lost its tail. Adorable.

Beautiful birds, Margaret. The Pelican certainly has a wry expression on its face. LOL

The Red-tailed Black Cockatoo is gorgeous. So sad about what is happening to it. Chalk up another one for humans.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9129374

That is terrible about the habitat loss. It is happening everywhere and we see it just outside our windows. We are trying to do what we can on our little place, but it's so overwhelming!

Thank you on the congratulations about the hummies. We sure are enjoying them. Yesterday they were testing out the Orioles' jelly. The Orioles prefer the oranges. We have double the Orioles this year, so need to keep those oranges stocked up!

OK, this picture does not show a bird, but it's bird related. We had our first bird death in about 3 years from a window crash a couple weeks ago. A Tennessee Warbler of all things. The bird's been passed on to a local school to use for study, but boy! We hated that it happened because of our windows. So we bought this American Bird Conservancy bird tape and put it on the most prone windows. I feel like a caged bird, but we'll get used to it. The coverage is a lot more than we had before. I was watching out a window as a truck roared by and an Oriole was coming right at the window, when he put on the brakes and flew in another direction.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9129458

Margaret, love your photos. I'm so sorry to hear about the gorgeous red-tailed black cockatoos. It's too bad the government won't do something to help the species. You should send your photos to your local newspaper with a paragraph on them-bet they'd print it.

Chillybean, glad that tape is working.

I think this is a bushtit enjoying the bath, a couple of mourning doves and a lesser goldfinch.

teddy_8905
Lakeview, OH

May 20, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9130707

I was using a pie pan for the birdbath and decided to switch to something a little bigger and not so shiny, we had a old clothes basket that was falling apart, so my hubby cut the bottom out. Do we need to make the edges smoother, or is that alright the way it is? I thought I would just see what happens with it the way it is, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thumbnail by teddy_8905

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9130733

teddy, I've seen birds stand on all manner of things and especially with the rock in the middle, that should be ok. I'd like to see how this works for you, can you post an update? That is a great way to reuse something.

Here is our Mourning Dove, falling asleep, facing the correct direction. They usually have their back ends facing into the water.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9132092

Lily, I want to thank you for finally sending that Red-headed Woodpecker my way. He arrived last week and in good condition. Two birds have eluded me for some time, the Red-headed Woodpecker and the Prothonotary Warbler. And, as luck would have it, I captured both of them last week.

Everyone has been posting some really nice photos. I have been keeping rather busy and only getting out about once a week. And, I am still waiting for my pre-ordered Nikon D800 to be delivered. I ordered on February 8th ... and still waiting. I keep telling myself that it's only a "camera". But ...

I'll post some more photos later but just wanted to let Lily know that it arrived. Here's the proof.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9132115

Spectacular! So good of Lilly_Love to share!

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9132244

Teddy, we even use the saucer trays for our pots as baths. I don't think the birds will care about the sides of your bath as long as you keep one or more rocks in it and the water isn't higher than 1 1/2 inches deep. That's a great way to recycle.

Chillybean, your little dove is beautiful.

Linth, love, love, love your red-headed. Babies to follow hopefully.

Here' one of my mourning doves after pulling out a lose feather, a bald eagle flying to its usual tree to enjoy a fish breakfast, a few Canada geese and a California towhee.

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9132256

Some incredible shots Margaret. It's so awful, that the Red-tailed Black Cockatoos are starving. All because of greed. They will have a lot to answer too when they are gone.
Chilli, I so enjoy seeing the Bobolink in the wild. I would so much want, to have a close up shot of one.
Duc , awesome shots of your birds.
Domehomedee, glad you found the Quails eggs, and happy, she returned to her eggs.
Now Lily if you can send Linth a Red-headed WP, what are the odds of you, sending me some.
Lovely shot Linth and congrats on the 2 visitors.

A few from the last couple of days.
This Crow didn't let the harassing Grackles, from him figuring out, how to get into the suet cage. He emptied it in no time at all.
Female Purple Finch, calling it's mate.
This Evening Grosbeak looks as if, he has a thing or two to say to me.
No more room for Siskens on this feeder.
and a tireless Yellow Warbler, looking for bugs.

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9132259

Wow Linth, fantastic shot.

Duc, all great shots. I have sooooooooo many doves here. Small, medium, and large, with more on the way by the romantic encounters I witnessed the past few days. In fact, I have so many doves that I am going to have to go to the feed mill and purchase some corn for them. I just cannot keep them supplied with sufficient amounts of BOSS or the striped sunflower seeds. Fantastic having them here, no matter how much they eat.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9132263

Hey Burn, we were posting at the same time. Great shots of a gorgeous collection of birds.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9132433

Oh if anyone else has an extra Red-headed Woodpecker I would love one too!! I have seen one before but have no photos!! lol

I had been hearing the Indigo Buntings but hadn't seen any until today...then they were every where! Same for the Brown Thrashers! Last is a Blue Bird fledgling.

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9132631

I shared everyone's sentiment about the Redtailed Cockatoos lost of habitat, love all the birds you have shared everyone. I sure can't take credit on sending Linth the Redheaded Woodpecker. lol, congrats Linth on both rare sightings of the woodpecker and the warbler.

Here is a Carolina Wren and two male Nothern Cardinals do what they do best. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

May 21, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9132947

Mourning Dove with a Do.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 21, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #9132967

I knew that people on this forum would be outraged at the threat to the red-tailed black. How many more tiny birds, animals and plants are lost for the same reason without ever having been discovered.

Great shots, everyone. Linth, I look forward to seeing the results you achieve with the D800.

From Herdsman's Lake yesterday: Australian hobby, yellow-billed spoonbill, little pied cormorant, black swan and an extreme close-up of a purple swamphen.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 22, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9133137

Wow so many great shots!

Linth, Congrats on the Red-headed Woodpecker!

Burn, Nice ones and I love seeing the Evening Grosbeak!

Nice one of the Indigo Bunting nanny!

Margaret you've outdone yourself with the beautiful close ups. Love the Pied Cormorant and the funny catch of the Yellow-billed Spoonbill.

Sweet pics Lily and adel!

I'll be starting a new thread soon but will give some time for some more comments.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9133164

Beautiful shots. Happy birds Lily. Love the doo on the Dove, Adel.

Great shots Margaret.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 22, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9133576

I think thats enough time. I'll be back with a link to the NEW Thread. Thanks again everyone!

OKAY PLEASE FOLLOW US OVER TO THE NEW THREAD http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1260042/

This message was edited May 22, 2012 12:44 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America