-
AuthorContent
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 4, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9110943

I'm in the process of making a vertical/wall planter. It's gonna be big...using a 4x4 pallet. LOL

I'm open to suggestions of what to put in it. Any ideas appreciated! :>)
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9124940

I saw an online article/instruction thing for one and I'm looking at work for a half size pallet (apartment garden).

So no edibles from what I gather--wood is most likely chemically treated to repel insects. Another person who did one made individual pockets (the length of the pallet slats) out of the weed barrier fabric and stapled them to the pallet between the slats so the soil didn't have direct contact to the wood. He had herbs, small grape tomato plants and strawberry plants in his.

I'm thinking for mine:

Moss roses/portulaca for the top as they're ok with drier soil.
Lobelia
linaria--they're sort of floppy and I was thinking they'd look OK drooping if other stuff was more upright or clump forming.
Marigold-single flowered or gem series--as long as they stay in small clumps.
some sort of ivy or ivy geranium
calibrochoa
a wave petunia near the bottom to sort of creep along out of the pallet and along the ground near it.

The one I saw online had a lot of succulent--like hens and chicks--and looked great. I'm not crafty so I'm not sure I'll ever get this done this season but I may just build it this fall and experiment with pansies, violas and crocus bulbs for next spring.

What plants are you thinking of? Please post photos when you're done--would love to see one!
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 15, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9125007

Ok, I didn't get any feedback, so I forged on ahead...here is what I did. I'm going to post individual pix, as sometimes my computer or DG doesn't like it when I attempt more than one pic...

Step 1

This message was edited May 15, 2012 3:17 PM

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 15, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9125008

Step 2...I put wiring around the inside for support for the landscape cloth that had to hold the potting medium.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 15, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9125009

With the landscape cloth...

Thumbnail by Anna_Z

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 15, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9125011

The lattice and then with the plants in it. I will have to let it lay flat till about Memorial Day before I attempt hanging it.

I used alyssum, red dianthus, and ageratum. Red, white & blue.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z   Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Decolores
Hillsborough, NC

May 16, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9125780

Anna ~ Wow! What a fantastic job -- when those plants start growing it's going to be even more beautiful. Can't wait to see how it looks once you get it hung. Nice work!
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 16, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9125921

Well, that is my hope. LOL
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9126367

Hadn't thought of red, white and blue--very cool! Can't wait to see it once it's grown in and upright. The instructions I saw didn't mention any wire support but that makes good sense. Thanks for posting your photos--that's really helpful and inspiring=)
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

May 16, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9126402

Well, I'm sure "normal" people wouldn't start with a 4x4 FOOT pallet...and the pallet itself is hardwood, so you know that weighs a ton to begin with! LOL
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9129391

Oh yes, I've worked at a big box store since 1994 so you can definitely say I'm familiar with the weight of wood pallets:LOL: I'm keeping my eyes open for the half size ones that come in beneath some of the cardboard displays we get. Just have to find one where the slats run in the short direction or it won't work the way I want. I really like the lattice you used too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America