Plant suggestions for vertical planter

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm in the process of making a vertical/wall planter. It's gonna be big............using a 4x4 pallet. LOL

I'm open to suggestions of what to put in it. Any ideas appreciated! :>)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I saw an online article/instruction thing for one and I'm looking at work for a half size pallet (apartment garden).

So no edibles from what I gather--wood is most likely chemically treated to repel insects. Another person who did one made individual pockets (the length of the pallet slats) out of the weed barrier fabric and stapled them to the pallet between the slats so the soil didn't have direct contact to the wood. He had herbs, small grape tomato plants and strawberry plants in his.

I'm thinking for mine:

Moss roses/portulaca for the top as they're ok with drier soil.
Lobelia
linaria--they're sort of floppy and I was thinking they'd look OK drooping if other stuff was more upright or clump forming.
Marigold-single flowered or gem series--as long as they stay in small clumps.
some sort of ivy or ivy geranium
calibrochoa
a wave petunia near the bottom to sort of creep along out of the pallet and along the ground near it.

The one I saw online had a lot of succulent--like hens and chicks--and looked great. I'm not crafty so I'm not sure I'll ever get this done this season but I may just build it this fall and experiment with pansies, violas and crocus bulbs for next spring.

What plants are you thinking of? Please post photos when you're done--would love to see one!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Ok, I didn't get any feedback, so I forged on ahead.............here is what I did. I'm going to post individual pix, as sometimes my computer or DG doesn't like it when I attempt more than one pic.............

Step 1

This message was edited May 15, 2012 3:17 PM

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Step 2...........I put wiring around the inside for support for the landscape cloth that had to hold the potting medium.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

With the landscape cloth............

Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

The lattice and then with the plants in it. I will have to let it lay flat till about Memorial Day before I attempt hanging it.

I used alyssum, red dianthus, and ageratum. Red, white & blue.

Thumbnail by Anna_Z Thumbnail by Anna_Z
Hillsborough, NC

Anna ~ Wow! What a fantastic job -- when those plants start growing it's going to be even more beautiful. Can't wait to see how it looks once you get it hung. Nice work!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Well, that is my hope. LOL

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Hadn't thought of red, white and blue--very cool! Can't wait to see it once it's grown in and upright. The instructions I saw didn't mention any wire support but that makes good sense. Thanks for posting your photos--that's really helpful and inspiring=)

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Well, I'm sure "normal" people wouldn't start with a 4x4 FOOT pallet.............and the pallet itself is hardwood, so you know that weighs a ton to begin with! LOL

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh yes, I've worked at a big box store since 1994 so you can definitely say I'm familiar with the weight of wood pallets:LOL: I'm keeping my eyes open for the half size ones that come in beneath some of the cardboard displays we get. Just have to find one where the slats run in the short direction or it won't work the way I want. I really like the lattice you used too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.