Photo Editing Fun - Page 51

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Time for a new thread so we can fill it with all sorts of fun images.

Everyone is welcome to add creations of kaleidoscope images, collages, painterly images, or just anything your imagination conjures up.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246786/

Patti

I didn't do a whole lot to these images - regular processing + attempts to further blur the background and a little black stroke around the edges.
They were all shot this evening while I was waiting for the moon to rise. The sun was setting and the light was a beautiful, soft golden color.

Bee Balm
Mexican Hat
Indian Blanket
Blur silliness
Blur silliness

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Memphis, TN

Patti, your "Blur Silliness" shots are fun. Love the color and streaks!

Vetch on the other side of my fence, Topazzed
Cone Flowers, Fotosketched

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Miss Mary. Beautiful colors on the Vetch and Cone Flowers. I like the subtle Fotosketcher treatment on the CFs! You are a master at subtle. Do you plant your Cone Flowers from seed or plants or do they come up voluntarily? I had some in the butterfly garden last year, but I can't seem to find any plants at the nursery this year.

Memphis, TN

I get them at nurseries or Lowe's Garden Center, already in pots. They come back every year. Most everything I plant by seeding stays beneath the soil...alas!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks. I'll check at Lowe's to see if they have any. I love Cone Flowers!

Here's where I was hoping that the moon would come up last night. Unfortunately, it didn't. I sort of knew it wouldn't based on the shadows created by the sun. The full or near full moon will come up in the general direction that those shadows are pointing. So, anyone that knows anything about astronomy will know I did some major fiddling with this image.

I copied the moon out of another image, enlarged it a bit and dropped it in this one on overlay blend mode. I took the original an hour or so before the moon even rose, so it was not sunset. I added a magenta filter and darkened it to make it look more like sunset. Then I ran an Orton effect which I removed from the moon totally and reduced to around 30% opacity for the rest of the image.

Moonrise Wishes

This message was edited May 5, 2012 11:03 AM

This message was edited May 5, 2012 2:31 PM

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Trying to save this shot of an Eastern Phoebe. I liked the way he was fanning his tail feathers, but the perch was hideously busy.

Removed that vine and a few thorns, lightened up the face, cleaned up some noise and a few other tweaks. It'll do for a small jpeg. Never will be good enough to print.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Memphis, TN

Cute little Phoebe, Patti. Maybe Fotosketcher with selective touches?

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Lovely flower pictures ladies ... lovely!

Patti, your moon "composition" is very clever ... and pretty, too!

Here's a triptych I came up with, based on photos of some window(s) in a house I walk by regularly ... the windows have only recently been revealed, and I suppose it's because the house is going on the market soon ... there's been quite a bit of new landscaping done, but not much to "pretty up" the house, so I'm guessing it's going to be sold for the lot only (they'll get a bundle, it's a nice corner lot!) ... in any event, I show the original photos, and then how I put them into a trio ... the manipulations will be fairly obvious ... what do you think?

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti inspired me to fiddle some with my moon shots ... So I went wild with the sliders in Raw, adding vibrance and saturation, and then going to topaz, and in one case even that flood filter ... makes them a little more interesting ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Two shots of the same Duck out at the Duck Pond, merged and then topazzed ....

One of my poppies, removed from busy background, cropped, rotated, topazzed and then framed ...

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, Jubilada, what a treat! Cool what you did with the windows. The image is so well balanced and perspective correction on center window is excellent. Love the moon fiddling! I like all of them, but the one on the water is fantastic. Colors are great. I like the posing on the duck merge. Lots of ways to interpret - on lookout, not on speaking (quacking) terms ... But, the image that grabbed my attention is the poppy. Wow. Beautiful flower and background. Marvelous work on that one!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Went out this morning tromping around at the city park in the dark looking for a morning vantage point to shoot the tower and moonset. Found a few spots, but the trees were still a pain. I'm just glad I didn't find any snakes. I was announcing my presence the whole way. "Go away snakes." If there was anyone else out there at that insane time of the morning, I'm sure they thought I was nuts. This photography gig can be hazardous to your health. ^_^

This ended up being my favorite shot even though it wasn't shot at the right time. I was waiting for the sun to come up a bit more so the exposure for the surrounding area and the moon would be the same. I did get some shots like that, but this one was a bit early, so moon is blown out, but I like it anyway.

I did some serious messing with this image.

First of all, I shot almost everything I shot this morning as 5 burst exposure bracketing for processing as HDR. So, for the final image, I processed 4 of the 5 photos in Photomatix and used the most normal looking rendition even though some of those wild and crazy ones were calling me. I put the result from Photomatix in ACR and started tweaking all the sliders and added a couple of gradients to brighten up the bottom and darken the top.

Then, I did a bit of a crop and started removing branches I didn't like, removed the lens flare, added some branches to the left side to balance it out, removed some star streaks, and probably did a few other things I forgot about.

Then, I just picked one of the 5 images and processed it normally (using Auto in ACR) for comparison.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow, Patti ... lots of rigmarole you went through to get those shots ... with some stunning results, I should say! Wow!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Jubilada! I processed a few more from this morning. No HDRs. Just picked the best of the 5 and went from there.

1. Way before sunrise. Beautiful colors in the sky at twilight. Moon too high and blows out.
2. Still way early, but got the moon anyway.
3. Finally light is right, but moon is still too high to get a close-up with the tower. I waited a bit more, but it was too light and moon was washed out. Another plan foiled by Mother Nature. I needed to be closer to the tower, but it was a bit wet out there. One of these days I'll get enough experience under my belt and I will have Ma Nature figured out.
4. Silliness - The mocker is not only the lookout. He is also the enforcer. I parked there briefly so I could check for a vantage point and he raised cain. Must have a nest in one of the trees near the sign.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Memphis, TN

Patti and Jubilada -- Moon shots are great! I love what you've done with them. Jubilada's #2 and Patti's #3 in the last set are my personal favorites. Patti, that Mockingbird means business! Law Enforcement Agencies could really benefit from more of the likes of him!

Jubilada, your double-ducks are really well-blended. I like that. And you know you captured my heart with that backlit Poppy! It is superb!

It rained really well here last night and this morning. I'd like to take credit for composing this shot of my Asiatic Lily with raindrops on it, but it was a total surprise to me to find I had caught a drop with a reflection of a clearing sky in it.

My Magnolia popped out a blossom low enough for me to see, photograph AND smell. I Fotosketched it, bringing out a few points like drops and the thingies inside it with more precision and using a larger brush with less detail for the things in the background. I then Topazzed (Detail > Feature Enhancement) the flower only.

By the way, the Maggie smelled lemony.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary,

Love the color of that Asiatic Lily! And the reflection is such a bonus. Very cool. The Magnolia image is so nicely composed. I really like that you can see part of the tree, some leaves and that the flower is in just the right spot compositionally. It is also just right as far as exposure. It is so hard to keep all the detail in white subjects when the background is dark. Great job!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, I think #3 is just wonderful, what a serene scene ... love the moon reflection! That mocking bird shot is great! He/she is making a statement for sure!

Miss Mary, great reflection water drop catch ... what serendipity!

Here's a trio of shots of one of my pretty poppies taken this a.m. ... that bee was very uncooperative, and did not like me sticking my camera in his business!

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

And, another poppy ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Gee, those Poppies are wonderful. They look like tie-dyed t-shirts and you have captured the essence of their free-spiritedness in your photo editing and presentation of them.
Wonderful!

My Magnolia flower opened up more today, so I got this close-up shot. The bee fly seems to be hesitantly approaching the cone. Guess I'll call this one, "I'd like to see the most wonderful and powerful OZ, s-s-sir..."

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada, I love the color and pattern on those poppies. Miss Mary's "tie-dyed t-shirt" comparison fits so well. The triptych shows them off nicely, with all of the different views. I really like the way you handled the background on the second image.

Miss Mary, That Magnolia image is marvelous! Technically, it is perfect - lighting, exposure, composition, colors, sharpness, detail, depth ... everything. And your framing adds to the composition without drawing interest away. That is a "print it and hang on the wall" photo!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Went out early this morning and took a few photos of the garden.

1. The garden after bending a few pixels. Oil Paint with Cassini border.
2. Baby Green Beans! More Oil Paint pixel bending.
3. Who Knows What Kind of Pepper - thought it was a Habanero, but it is too big. They are only supposed to be 2.5 inches. Dang Houston Garden always gets the tags mixed up. One of my tomato plants was supposed to be a Roma, but all I got was two cherry and the Early Girl.
4. This cherry tomato plant is producing like crazy. There are at least 10 bunches like this and more flowers. I hope the plant can survive all that.
5. A zoom blur (in photoshop, not in camera) of the Early Girl tomato.

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, Miss Mary, shades of Imogen Cunningham ... your magnolia is magnificent!

Patti, love to see your little garden growing ... those baby beans are so cute! (Too early for me to plant mine ... but, soon.) Love that zoomed water-dropped little tomato! And, I thought to myself, when you posted an earlier picture of that pepper, "that sure doesn't look like the Habaneros I grew." Looks like it might be a Poblano/Pasilla ... they're medium hot ... nothing like those Habaneros (oh, the tears!) ...

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

The next assignment for this class I'm taking is to do a photo collage/montage in the style of David Hockney ... a daunting task ... so I started experimenting today ... my first attempt, my house (9 images); second attempt, Gamble Gardens (15 images) ... I have a ways to go ... I'm supposed to use at least 36 images in my completed project (whew!) ... will me out of trouble for a while, I suppose ...

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada, I think you are right. That pepper looks more like a Poblano to me. And I love Poblano peppers, so that would be a good thing. Can't wait to see what the other three are. I know one of them is a bell pepper, but the other three don't have peppers yet. Maybe the Poblano was the mystery plant I bought and I'm the doofus that got the tags mixed up? I bought two bells, one jalapeno, one habanero and one that didn't have a tag at the nursery.

Very cool project and your experiments are fantastic! I tried something similar after attending a Ben Willmore seminar. He did a panoramic image where he just moved the camera around willy nilly and snapped a bunch of photos. Then he stitched them in photoshop leaving the "Blend Images" box unchecked.He put a little frame around each image to make it stand out in the final stitched pano image. His result was very cool and reminds me of some of the David Hockney images that I googled.

Your class really has some challenging assignments. Is it done by an individual instructor or one of the larger training groups like Kelby? I was just wondering if there is anything like it in my area.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

My class is at the Palo Alto Adult school ... the instructor usually does a "fundamentals" class, which I took two years ago ... this is the first time in four years she's done the "beyond fundamentals" class (the school district has myriad budgetary concerns, and therefore is wary of offering such classes very often) ... this time we all lucked out, because there are only six of us in the class ... the teacher is thrilled, and we get to do lots of fun stuff ... with plenty of individual attention ...

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Now, that is some good fortune! Well, I certainly have enjoyed reading about your assignments and seeing what you come up with. Keep us posted. Can't wait for the next one!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Here are a few things I've done lately (today, actually) ... a walk to the bank ...

A chair: manipulation included skewing to straighten the one side of the door, and then some topaz filters
A collage or three images, the first image has been cropped and straightened, the other two are as shot ... I did add a topaz filter overall
Then there is that window ... whew, I can't get away from it ... another view ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada, Love the first image. Lines are fantastic. Nice, subtle colors. Beautiful balance. This is art! Also really like the middle image in the collage. Fantastic pattern capture. You know, in case they do tear that place down, you really need to call dibs on that window. Now!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Patti! You know, you may be right about that window ... I'm keeping an eye on things. You can tell that it's very old glass by its ripple (probably the 1920s or even earlier) ...

Here's a trilogy of a few of my tomato plants, which I put in last week ... took these photos on Monday, and sadly, by Tuesday afternoon something terrible had happened to the Great White ... don't know if it's going to pull through or not ... and not a clue as to what happened! The Indigo Rose tomato is a new one for me this year ... supposed to be blue tomatoes! We'll see!

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Poppy and Bee ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, no! That Great White kept us entertained last season! They were huge! I sure hope it pulls through. Can't wait to see the blue ones. Cool!

That bee likes those poppies as much as I do. They are so gorgeous! Cool triptych.

I got a few decent shots this morning. I was mostly shooting just for ID purposes so I could expand my 2012 bird list. I got these at the rookery on High Island (across the ferry from Galveston).

The Great Egret babies in the first photo have been fed and are napping. Mom has a chance to preen her feathers. While she is a bit ragged looking, she still has some of the beautiful breeding plumes. The youngsters in photos 2, 3 and 4 have not been fed. They are hungry little, prehistoric-looking guys and are giving poor Mom fits. Dad needs to come through with some chow.

The last shot is one of those goofy looking Roseate Spoonbills. The color is stunning, but the bill just makes me laugh.

Other than framing each one, I removed an egret in the background of the first image and darkened that spoonbill in the background of 2, 3 and 4. In 5, I removed a stick that was coming in from the lower right side of the image and extended partially onto the bird.

This message was edited May 13, 2012 7:43 PM

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, that's a wonderful series of photographs! That first one is simply exquisite! The hungry baby trilogy is just precious ... and if you hadn't said anything about darkening the spoonbill, I'd never have noticed it was even there! I had to go back and look! The Roseate Spoonbill shot is also really good! Lovely, all of them! And, to my eye, flawless editing!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a collage of poppies from my garden this morning ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Jubilada! I just keep looking at your poppy collage. Flowers are so, so pretty and the whole creation fits together so nicely. I stared and stared at the framing trying to figure out how you did that and then I realized that the lighter green is just a continuation of the darker. Very cool how you did that transition. I don't know how, but very cool!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, I don't know if this illustration will help or not, but this is how I did it ... I made a new layer just above the background layer and filled it with a color (a green I'd come up with from something else), then I changed it to a the blending mode "screen." The layer directly above, which was a background copy, had been trimmed with the Redfield Plasteroid Framing filter ... does that make sense? Hope so ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada, That makes perfect sense! Seeing the layers and masks really helps. I learn so much better from an illustration than from words. Thanks much!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Uh oh, another Kaleido ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Wheeee. I like this one! Fantastic depth with the cutout and the slight blur in the background. I don't know. Those innocent flowers have been transformed into evil monsters with hard shell heads, viper eyes and antennae. They are all gathered around in a circle deciding who the next victim will be. ^_^ See, I told you I watched too much sci fi as a kid.

Fun one!

Memphis, TN

Oh, my goodness! Columbine morphing into Darth Vader!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Y'know, I knew one of you was going to come up with Darth Vader!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.