-
AuthorContent
DoGooder
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9111274

Hi! This plant has star-shaped leaves that are light green in the center and become darker towards the pointed ends. The leaf cluster is approximately 1' high and it has 3' stalks with what appear to be last year's flowers, but I can't remember what they looked like. It's growing in part shade at the edge of a forest.

DoGooder

Thumbnail by DoGooder   Thumbnail by DoGooder
Click an image for an enlarged view.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9111562

Looks like Monkshood, Aconitum napellus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/105797/

Edited to add link.

This message was edited May 5, 2012 2:02 PM
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 5, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9111639

The leaves do look rather like monkshood, but the old stems don't.

I think it's Leonurus cardiaca:
http://www.missouriplants.com/Pinkopp/Leonurus_cardiaca_page.html
DoGooder
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9111728

greenthumb99, the plant does look like monkshood but the leaves are wrinkled like an elephant's hide. I have a monkshood that is not doing well after I added vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to the water can, and I'm trying to revive it. Most of my other plants like the solution but maybe monkshood needs more alkalinity.

altagardener, thanks for the web site with the detailed pictures. This plant is definitely Leonurus cardiaca.

DoGooder

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9111887

My bad, I didn't look at the first photo with the old stems. Obvious mis-ID.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 5, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9112089

DoGooder wrote:I have a monkshood that is not doing well after I added vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to the water can, and I'm trying to revive it. Most of my other plants like the solution but maybe monkshood needs more alkalinity.

In general, there is no need to worry about soil pH for common garden species... monkshoods are not sensitive to pH.

DoGooder
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9112272

altagardener, there must be something else in the vinegar and H202 solution the monkshood didn't like. Unlike all my other plants its leaves immediately wilted the last two times I added the solution.

DoGooder
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

May 6, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9112510

DoGooder, I wasn't commenting on how the plant might react to having dilute hydrogen peroxide and vinegar poured around it... it's reaction is not unexpected to me, to be honest! ;-)... and such a treatment won't alter the soil pH (for various reasons). What I was saying it that the natural soil pH is unlikely to have much effect on common monkshoods.
DoGooder
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9112559

altagardener, I see. You meant the ph level of the soil probably doesn't affect monkshood. However, perhaps the ph level of the water does? Acid water breaks down nutrients better than alkaline water, and rain tends to have much higher acidity than tap water (4 & 5 rain ph is common), therefore, many plants evolved to have the rain break down nutrients for them like a mama bird chews food before giving it to her babies.

So when vinegar is added to tap water it breaks down the alkalinity the government added (to prevent pipe corrosion), thus, making the water more acid like rain. The reason I added the H202 + vinegar solution to the monkshood after its leaves died the other time I added it was because I had put Miracle-Gro and humic acid in the mix before so I wasn't sure which ingredient hurt the plant; then when I moved the monkshood outside and it rained for several days I noticed that it soon revived so I thought maybe the acid in the rain revived it and I added a solution with just H202 & vinegar, but the leaved died again almost immediately after I added the solution so maybe it was the H202 that did it. What I should have done was just add vinegar without the H202 so I could know for sure if vinegar was safe for monkshood.

DoGooder
DoGooder
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

June 7, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9156265

altagardener, I photographed this plant today and this is just to confirm that it is Leonurus cardiaca. The plant now has pink flowers on its stem (attached photo) and the leaves have grown about 1 1/2 foot higher.

DoGooder

This message was edited Jun 7, 2012 7:22 PM

Thumbnail by DoGooder
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America