Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: Puffball fungus! Any comment or advice?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9111345

I came home after a couple of weeks taking care of a new grandson (YAY!!!) to find my green bean bed decorated with what I have determined to be puffball fungus. I watered. They exploded.

The main question is whether they are going to ruin my garden!? I hated to do it but I dusted with sulfur. Any help (or reassurance!) would be greatly appreciated.

They only came up in the beds I had just filled with "organic choice" garden soil. I know my conspiracy theorist friend could do a lot with that, and of course this observation could be purely coincidental.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9111388

Mushrooms and other things like puff balls grow on organic material in the soil. It's a sign of good soil and as far as I know harmless.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9111443

Whew. Thanks, Doug! The spore eruption was really dramatic.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9111909

Depending on the type of puffball they could be toxic to children and animals if ingested. Handling is okay. They will not add any poisonous effects to your garden. If you have children with curious minds or pets that eat weird things it would be advisable to pull them and discard. This will not necessarily eliminate their future growth at once but it will prevent their spread or accidental ingestion.
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 6, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9113340

If your puffballs look like the one in the picture that i would occasionally find in Idaho, they are delicious with a mild Abalone [Expensive Shellfish} flavor when sliced and fried. But when they are mature they just explode in a puff of dust.

I am sure many different things are called puffballs, and i do not know the Latin name for this fungus.
The carving board it is sitting on was at least 12 inches square. I also found them the size of softballs and soccer balls, but never any real small ones.

Ernie

Thumbnail by ERNIECOPP
Click the image for an enlarged view.

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9113593

These aren't nearly as rounded, or are quite a bit older. They are elongated blobs that explode. Not going to eat any without definite assurance they are okay!
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 7, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9113773

They all have to be eaten when they first form, and i would not eat them either without researching them or asking some one that had eaten the same type before. There are many delicious types, and a few that are not edible.

Ernie
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9114135

Ernie...why don't you admit. that's just a little mushroom that you put on your dolly house table! Holy moly! that is on big-a$$ fungus!!!
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 7, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9114434

It as a find of a lifetime, for sure. I doubt if few people have tasted Abalone, but they are even more rare now, and horribly expensive. An old neighbor up there in Idaho told me the Puffballs were safe to eat, so we fried slices of it in butter and it tasted just like the Abalone do without the ocean smell. I eventually found two more smaller ones, but one was too far gone to eat.

I suppose now, with PhotoShop, i could make it look even bigger, but we did not have that back then.

Ernie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9114501

I grew up on conch, spiny lobster and abalone. I'm from S.FL and spent my first twenty something years sailing and diving in the Keys and Islands, especially the British and American Virgins. We used to dive for abalone, shell them and hang them in steel mesh nets off the stern. Come dinner time we'd chop them up, add onions, spices, etc. and make fritters. You now need a license to fish them.
ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

May 7, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9114677

Maypop.

We used to have large 7 to 9 inch Abs here along the Cal Coast, and when anchored at the offshore islands, we would trade the divers a sixpack for more Abs than we could eat, but that was 40 years ago, and now the taking of them is very restricted and you do not see them in the markets, as they are probably shipped to Japan.

But around Isla Guadalupe, off the Baha Coast, they have small black ones, about the size of a baseball. On the way to the Sea of Cortez, I would trade for them, and then trade stuff to the the Shrimp boats for Squid, and grind up the Abs with an old style meat grinder, and stuff the squid tubes, and fry them. Wonderful, Wonderful Eating. Always glad to meet another sailor. I have had sailboats for 49 years.

Ernie
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9114790

Ernie, I am a water baby, having been brought up in tropical waters, but the truth is I was always ambivalent about sailing. Though I'd rather be sailing than motoring the weeks, and then some, spent on board in all weather was not what I dreamed about. I wanted to be in the mountains with trees and waterfalls or on a farm with chickens, cows and pigs. I didn't want to be hauling in the dingy in foul weather or setting sails or pumping the bilge or berthing in the forepeak ('cause I'm tall) . I've had some interesting travels; the FL Keys frequently and Biscayne Bay every weekend, most of French Polynesia, all of the Caribbean including the Leewards and Windwards, and Cuba as a child, but I couldn't wait to go to camp in North Georgia. We kept a boat in Tortola (Carribean Sailing Yacht Club) and another at Coconut Grove Sailing Club. I was happy with my single handed boat on the lake I grew up on and would have preferred swimming in the ocean to sailing. Guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

But the topic is puffballs, yes?
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9115265

My threads can ALWAYS be hijacked for sailing! :)
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9115438

:)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America