Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mraider3
Helena, MT

May 6, 2012
3:06 AM

Post #9112279

Although a rare occurrence I read an article in Dave’s weekly newsletter on vegetable gardening which spoke of raising onions sets from seed. The long day onions do very well here, however I have had difficulty in raising suitable sets from seed planted indoors. In this article the author spoke of planting onion seed in their garden in mid-summer and removing the sets in about 60 days for storage until next spring’s planting.

Several thoughts come to mind about harvesting and storing onion sets over winter: (1) How to harvest; and (2) how to store these sets. Any thoughts on the subject???

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9112340

Your local Agriculture Extention Agent should be able to send you a leaflet on growing onions in your neck-of-the-woods. Or you could try Googling the information.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 6, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9112624

Sorry, I'm no help Morgan but you might chat up the folks at Dixondale Farms, or just check their site for info. They are the bees knees in onion growing. All I know is that the general consensus is that onions are *really* hard to grow from seed. I got small starts from Dixondale and they are doing just great. Waiting for the tops to fall over indicating they are ready to pull. These pics were taken about a week ago and some of the onions are really breaking the soil but the tops are still standing tall. Waiting...

Thumbnail by MaryMcP   Thumbnail by MaryMcP
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 6, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9112697

Currently there are only a half dozen or varieties grown for sets. Altho I suspect that some of the other long day storage onions would be suitable. Those varieties are Stuttgarter, Yellow Ebenezer, Yellow Rock, Australian Brown, White Ebenezer, and Red Wethersfield. Onions sets are produced from seed by planting in summer and harvesting as they go dormant in the fall. These will be marble sized. They are then stored in cool dry storage until spring when they are replanted as soon as the ground can be worked. They do have a tendency to bolt because they are old enough. Mostly used to get early green onions. The home growers gets the best onions by using plants. Starting the plants is tricky, but many folks do well at it. Most do better by purchasing plants.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/onion.cfm

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9112725

Mraider, I started onions from seeds this year. I sowed them thickly in a plastic lidded takeout container, indoors, and then followed the directions I got here:

http://www.mofga.org/Publications/ArticlesforReprinting/StartOnionsFromSeedNow/tabid/1066/Default.aspx

I never had to clip mine, but I did plant them four at a time in the garden, about two weeks ago. They seem to be doing well. I am growing a variety called Cevennes which has a mild flavor and is supposed to be a good keeper.
trishaa46
Exeter, MO

May 17, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9127542

I planted a long row of onion sets for the first time this year. My one big question concerns the bulb of the onion once it starts growing. Do I keep the soil hilled up around them or is the bulb suppose to show on top of the ground?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 17, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9127551

Onion is a leaf vegetable, The bulb needs to be above ground. Cover them and they will not size up.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9127565

Trish,

I've found that onions need extra nitrogen fertilizer, too. They grow much larger bulbs if you follow a fertilizing regimen. Every couple of weeks with a moderately high nitrogen fertilizer should be good.

David

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America